Forum Settings
       
1 2 Next »
This Forum is Read Only

Should NPC Quests Give SP/EXP?Follow

#52 Feb 06 2011 at 12:13 PM Rating: Good
***
3,416 posts
Quote:
Once people finish leves and even time between leves people camp the battlewardens at the top of the hour.


And when they finish them, I'll be there. Why should I solo them when grouping is much more beneficial as it gives me plenty more opportunities to do leves than just eight. Behests work well in this regard, as they slow down the time it takes to finish every leve as well.

Quote:
The only reason I did some quests (as did a lot of people) was to get for example a scroll of sleepga2, warp, drain, teleport scroll, Brygid the stylist armors. Quests in FF11 were mostly done for items, either for a job or to be sold. How many people did scroll quests on alts for the gil?


You want to "immerse yourself" and "be a part of the storyline", yet you only did the quests when the reward was good. Hypocritic. You don't need a carrot to immerse yourself. You don't need a quest to get the carrot you so desire.
____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#53 Feb 06 2011 at 12:20 PM Rating: Decent
*
57 posts
Mistress Theonehio wrote:

Which said quests you didn't do in XI made you feel, because their purpose was for story/making you feel like you're actually part of the world by helping them.

The quests you mention that gave XP were escort/tour type quests which weren't that plentiful actually. Unless in the 8 years I've played XI I somehow missed getting the exp from all of the non escort quests I did?

@Bolded:

You mentioned also:

Quote:
There were A LOT of quests in FFXI that I didn't do simply because A.) Didn't need to do them because fame was repeatable. B.) Reward was maybe 100gil if they offered one at all. C.) Didn't advance my character progression all it did was clear quest log.


For wanting to feel apart of the world you ignored a lot of quests because you wouldn't be rewarded or had your character progressed.



You never got exp from any quests that the reward was a exp scroll, enm, or helping ppl do CoP? There were actually enough out there that on a weekend I would spend a couple hours doing them and helping others do missions. If done on lower leveled jobs the exp I gained was less I had to grind away at in parties.

And on the second part I DID do a lot of quests in FFXI, but after doing so many for basically nothing more then a pat on the **** I finally decided to not bother anymore unless there was a **** good reason.
____________________________


#54 Feb 06 2011 at 12:24 PM Rating: Excellent
*
182 posts
I know you weren't talking to me, but I wanted to give my opinion anyway.

Hyanmen wrote:

You are doing something horribly wrong if you have to deal with leve resets yet are surrounded by 30 other people competing for a Behest spot. I would have leves to do for 6+ hours in that scenario, enough for one night at the very least (and more the next day if needed).

True, I could do levelinking, but most people prefer to solo their leves or they speak a different language, so they feel that it's not as fun if they can't talk to the person. I think SE should make leves solo, then give us solo quests and group quests that can only be done with a party.

In addition, grouping is also fun. Doing quests isn't as fun.

This is relative, I've been groups that weren't fun because the person I was with didn't know what the heck they were doing. Quests can be fun when they're done right.

And you would do these quests only if they had a reward?

I know I would, because I'm playing an RPG. I want to learn more about the world I'm playing in. That's why I said in my previous post not every quest has to give SP/EXP rewards. Besides I would want something else to do than battling and crafting all the time. Give me a reason to run to these different areas.
____________________________
?
#55 Feb 06 2011 at 12:26 PM Rating: Good
***
3,416 posts
ITT: I want to do quests to be a part of the story and the world.

Quote:
And on the second part I DID do a lot of quests in FFXI, but after doing so many for basically nothing more then a pat on the **** I finally decided to not bother anymore unless there was a **** good reason.


ITT: Nevermind, I'm just after the carrot, pretty much.

Quote:
True, I could do levelinking, but most people prefer to solo their leves or they speak a different language, so they feel that it's not as fun if they can't talk to the person. I think SE should make leves solo, then give us solo quests and group quests that can only be done with a party.


The reward isn't worth it. Japanese group up all the time, but we need an agenda. Currently the agenda is not good enough if that is the case, and SE would be better off doing something about that instead of fixing the pipe leak by building another pipe next to it. That wouldn't make much sense.

Granted, just like in our Western society we do stuff together with our community (in this case, Linkshell). So the problem is when you need to make us interact with strangers, something we don't do if we don't have a good reason for it.

Quote:
This is relative, I've been groups that weren't fun because the person I was with didn't know what the heck they were doing. Quests can be fun when they're done right.


Grouping can be fun when done right.

Quests can be fun when done right.

Quote:
I know I would, because I'm playing an RPG. I want to learn more about the world I'm playing in. That's why I said in my previous post not every quest has to give SP/EXP rewards. Besides I would want something else to do than battling and crafting all the time. Give me a reason to run to these different areas.


Well, in that case that statement wasn't meant for you ;).


Edited, Feb 6th 2011 9:32pm by Hyanmen
____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#56 Feb 06 2011 at 12:32 PM Rating: Good
*
57 posts
Hyanmen wrote:
Quote:
Once people finish leves and even time between leves people camp the battlewardens at the top of the hour.


And when they finish them, I'll be there. Why should I solo them when grouping is much more beneficial as it gives me plenty more opportunities to do leves than just eight. Behests work well in this regard, as they slow down the time it takes to finish every leve as well.

Quote:
The only reason I did some quests (as did a lot of people) was to get for example a scroll of sleepga2, warp, drain, teleport scroll, Brygid the stylist armors. Quests in FF11 were mostly done for items, either for a job or to be sold. How many people did scroll quests on alts for the gil?


You want to "immerse yourself" and "be a part of the storyline", yet you only did the quests when the reward was good. Hypocritic. You don't need a carrot to immerse yourself. You don't need a quest to get the carrot you so desire.



I said I did >>some quests<< because of the reward, re-read what I said, not all like you are implying and twisting the truth. I'm here simply giving my opinion as to why I think quests should be added that give a >>small<< reward of exp/sp. Not everyone when they are done with leves feel like camping battlewardens or killing the same mob over and over. I solo play, I don't want to "party" again like in FF11 and I think there is a need for people like me to have content that gives small amounts of exp/sp to pass the time between leve resets.
____________________________


#57 Feb 06 2011 at 12:34 PM Rating: Decent
***
3,416 posts
Quote:
Not everyone when they are done with leves feel like camping battlewardens or killing the same mob over and over.


"Everything I do must revolve around progressing my character's rank or I won't do it."

I'll eat my hat if Hamlet defense battles aren't content for soloers to pass the time between leve resets. Diverse content, diverse rewards. Hamlet for SP, quests for something else.

Edited, Feb 6th 2011 9:34pm by Hyanmen
____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#58 Feb 06 2011 at 12:36 PM Rating: Good
**
395 posts
I do think y'all are forgetting just about every quest in FFXI did NOT reward an item. Most rewarded an absolutely pathetic amount of gil, or 1 crafting ingredient, but mostly it was nothing or garbage or fame or access to more quests. You never got a class item you could use.

Nobody is going to do 100 quests to level up instead of killing 200 mobs that respawn in 1 minute and are killed in seconds.

The game isn't going to have a lot of quests, just like 11 didn't, therefore there's no harm in giving them SP/XP.

A typical reward for a quest your level, I feel, should be like
2-10k gil / 150-1k SP / 300-2k XP --> Continuation to another quest or a reward.

So what if you can only do most of the quests 1 time on 1 job? It helps you level your main then so that once you have a 50 the experience is easier on your other jobs. You should be rewarded for your efforts not given a copper ore.

"Bosses" should definitely award a good amount of SP, especially if they are one-time only. Or, only award it on the first kill. I would have no problem with killing a storyline boss for 5000 SP on the first kill. Especially when levequests are able to award almost 2000 SP per kill while linked.

If YOU don't want to level up while questing ask for SE to give you an EXP OFF toggle.
____________________________

http://www.prismaticllama.com/
http://www.sologensystems.com
The Prismatic Llama - Peru's llamas got nothing on us.
#59 Feb 06 2011 at 12:37 PM Rating: Excellent
*
57 posts
Hyanmen wrote:
ITT: I want to do quests to be a part of the story and the world.

Quote:
And on the second part I DID do a lot of quests in FFXI, but after doing so many for basically nothing more then a pat on the **** I finally decided to not bother anymore unless there was a **** good reason.


ITT: Nevermind, I'm just after the carrot, pretty much.



Edited, Feb 6th 2011 9:32pm by Hyanmen


I never said that I did all quests based on the reward. Why do you feel the need to attack everything I say then falsely paraphrase things you think I said.
____________________________


#60 Feb 06 2011 at 12:39 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*****
12,704 posts
Eadieni wrote:

If YOU don't want to level up while questing ask for SE to give you an EXP OFF toggle.


I've ...never heard of an MMO offering a feature like this especially because that means there has to be an on switch for quests that didn't offer EXP which means hello potential exploitation.



____________________________

#61 Feb 06 2011 at 12:41 PM Rating: Excellent
*
57 posts
Hyanmen wrote:
Quote:
Not everyone when they are done with leves feel like camping battlewardens or killing the same mob over and over.


"Everything I do must revolve around progressing my character's rank or I won't do it."

I'll eat my hat if Hamlet defense battles aren't content for soloers to pass the time between leve resets. Diverse content, diverse rewards. Hamlet for SP, quests for something else.

Edited, Feb 6th 2011 9:34pm by Hyanmen


Again I never said "Everything I do must revolve around progress my character's rank or I won't do it." Stop quoting me if you can't even quote me correctly.
____________________________


#62 Feb 06 2011 at 12:42 PM Rating: Excellent
*
57 posts
Mistress Theonehio wrote:
Eadieni wrote:

If YOU don't want to level up while questing ask for SE to give you an EXP OFF toggle.


I've ...never heard of an MMO offering a feature like this especially because that means there has to be an on switch for quests that didn't offer EXP which means hello potential exploitation.






Actually I have. Players used to have twinks in Wow that would turn exp off so they could have specific level pvp matches. Just saying.
____________________________


#63 Feb 06 2011 at 12:43 PM Rating: Default
***
3,416 posts
Quote:
I never said that I did all quests based on the reward.


Yeah, you didn't, yet you criticized it for just getting "a pat on the ****" when you got immersed yourself in the story and lore while being a part of the world. It wasn't just a pat on the ****, but that's not what you seemed to be looking for in the first place. To you lore and storyline and immersion were nothing but a "pat on the ****", so stop talking like you actually care.

Edited, Feb 6th 2011 9:44pm by Hyanmen
____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#64 Feb 06 2011 at 12:48 PM Rating: Good
**
395 posts
AnnabelleCloud wrote:
Mistress Theonehio wrote:
Eadieni wrote:

If YOU don't want to level up while questing ask for SE to give you an EXP OFF toggle.


I've ...never heard of an MMO offering a feature like this especially because that means there has to be an on switch for quests that didn't offer EXP which means hello potential exploitation.






Actually I have. Players used to have twinks in Wow that would turn exp off so they could have specific level pvp matches. Just saying.

WoW has it, EQ2 has it, Vanguard has it. I think LOTRO might but I don't recall.
Games have this so people don't outlevel the quests. A lot of people hate having level-specific quests, and they want to beat all the quests and get all the rewards or money, but once they finish 1/3 of the quests in the region they cant do them anymore. Or explore those dungeons with meaningful risk.

It's a niche of the population but mainly the people who want slower leveling.

____________________________

http://www.prismaticllama.com/
http://www.sologensystems.com
The Prismatic Llama - Peru's llamas got nothing on us.
#65 Feb 06 2011 at 12:54 PM Rating: Excellent
*
182 posts
Quote:
The reward isn't worth it. Japanese group up all the time, but we need an agenda. Currently the agenda is not good enough if that is the case, and SE would be better off doing something about that instead of fixing the pipe leak by building another pipe next to it. That wouldn't make much sense.

Granted, just like in our Western society we do stuff together with our community (in this case, Linkshell). So the problem is when you need to make us interact with strangers, something we don't do if we don't have a good reason for it.


Well if it's needed to get people into the game then do it! SE made this game for multiple regions, they can't just appeal to one base. I think making leves solo only is a good idea, this way people that can only play an hour a day can log in do some leves, sign off and be happy. People that play multiple times during a week can do their leves and some solo quests, sign off and be happy. Then the hardcore players can do leves, solo quests, group quests, NMs, and grind. If there were group quests, I probably would use the player search function more.
____________________________
?
#66 Feb 06 2011 at 12:55 PM Rating: Excellent
*
57 posts
Hyanmen wrote:
Quote:
I never said that I did all quests based on the reward.


Yeah, you didn't, yet you criticized it for just getting "a pat on the ****" when you got immersed yourself in the story and lore while being a part of the world. It wasn't just a pat on the ****, but that's not what you seemed to be looking for in the first place. To you lore and storyline and immersion were nothing but a "pat on the ****", so stop talking like you actually care.

Edited, Feb 6th 2011 9:44pm by Hyanmen


If I didn't care I would have stopped posting here after you picked apart every post I made and misquoted me several times.

A person can only do so many quests for just pure storyline before they get to a point were it is nothing more then padding your quests count. Why not at least make it worth while
____________________________


#67 Feb 06 2011 at 1:05 PM Rating: Default
***
3,416 posts
Quote:
A person can only do so many quests for just pure storyline before they get to a point were it is nothing more then padding your quests count. Why not at least make it worth while


Sure it is worthwhile, for the storyline, immersion, lore, everything you value. If it's not worthwhile to you you do not have to do it. Artificial carrot, however, is a poor way to make us do them. Leves and Behest work just fine for accomplishing that, as it's their primary function. If you want to know about the world, you will do these quests. If you don't want to know, you can keep doing leves and killing mobs, saving you time.

Quote:
I think making leves solo only is a good idea


But everything you said can apply when leves aren't solo only, so I don't know what your point is... Group quests can still exist when leves are done in groups too. I can't see how that would be sufficient if the quests weren't made repeatable either... it's just too much effort on the development part to keep making one-time quests for people to level. They are perfect side content, bad content for progressing.
____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#68 Feb 06 2011 at 1:23 PM Rating: Good
*
182 posts
Quote:
But everything you said can apply when leves aren't solo only, so I don't know what your point is... Group quests can still exist when leves are done in groups too. I can't see how that would be sufficient if the quests weren't made repeatable either... it's just too much effort on the development part to keep making one-time quests for people to level. They are perfect side content, bad content for progressing.


True, most of the stuff I said can be done without solo-only leves, but I just think everything in this game revolves around leves too much. Also group quests can be done like raids also they wouldn't have to give SP/EXP, maybe rare or special items. Anyway this is getting off topic, but do see leves as a way for casual people to just hop in and solo/party but I think people would group up more if leves were restricted to being solo only.

Edited, Feb 6th 2011 2:30pm by TerraSonicX
____________________________
?
#69 Feb 06 2011 at 1:34 PM Rating: Decent
**
845 posts
Mistress Theonehio wrote:
Eadieni wrote:

If YOU don't want to level up while questing ask for SE to give you an EXP OFF toggle.


I've ...never heard of an MMO offering a feature like this especially because that means there has to be an on switch for quests that didn't offer EXP which means hello potential exploitation.





WoW did it for twinks.
____________________________

#70 Feb 06 2011 at 4:02 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
660 posts
Besides what I've posted previously, I figured I'd add this little bit as well since people are still talking about this. Even though it's not quite there yet, this is still a Final Fantasy game, and in the entire main numbered series, none of the games ever provided exp for quest completion. Historically, your rewards have always been gil, gear, or special items for sidequests, but never exp unless there was fighting involved (and even then, some bosses didn't give you any exp or ap depending on the game).

In the series, sidequests were always activities that were either fun and silly, or lore-related, each providing you with more immersion into the game. Aside from the fact that implementing a fair system of awarding sp/exp for quest completion would be difficult to near-impossible due to the armory system, adding that aspect would be going against a tradition of the FF series. Since Yoshida is trying to make this game more "Final Fantasy-ish" that would be a bad move, IMHO.
#71 Feb 06 2011 at 4:23 PM Rating: Good
*
52 posts
I don't see how offering SP/EXP as a reward is any different than offering any other item, and in truth offering SP/EXP as a reward may prove to work better than offering some Godly Sword of Slaying which runs the risk of destroying purpose from one of the crafting classes.

What I don't want to see in FFXIV, however, is the 'WoW' style of quests which serve as little more than a means to gather EXP in some fashion other than being aggressive towards wildlife, a niche I feel that levequests already nicely occupy. If there is one thing SE tends to excel at, it is the ability to tell an interesting story that can compel the player to want to finish regardless of the reward, and it's this strength that I want SE to place an emphasis upon when creating quest content for its' players. Quests should be special, memorable, and fun to do. While SP/EXP and 'phat loot' should be an incentive for starting them, it should not remain the focus for completing them.

Edited, Feb 6th 2011 5:26pm by WarkupoZ
#72 Feb 06 2011 at 4:47 PM Rating: Good
**
602 posts
Quests SHOULD award EXP & SP besides from whatever the reward (if any) is.

It doesn't make the experience any less memorable.

Just make it so that the first time you complete a quest it gives a set (mid-high) ammount of SP, but when doing it again it gives like 90% less.

I can't see anyone having a problem with this.
____________________________
FFXI: Dashiel. (Asura) Puppetmaster.
FFXIV: Majidah Sihaam. (Besaid)
Marauder, Weaver & Alchemist.

#73 Feb 06 2011 at 10:38 PM Rating: Good
**
660 posts
I am in no way surprised that this thread has devolved into a loot ***** vs immersed player debate, complete with references to WoW.

I like the idea of an EXP off switch, just to see how many people switch it off and how many people would be self righteous enough to say they turn it off while secretly keeping it on.

The argument here is really confusing me though. Character progression vs world immerersion. Why can't we have both? I mean that's what both sides of this debate want right? Do a great and immersive story quest and oh look, some real character progression too! Why is that so bad?

On the topic of the game becoming a niche MMO, I have a hard time wrapping my head around why people think that's a good thing. This is an MMO, it just seems backwards to say you don't want people to play this game. A single player game might get away with it, but this is an MMO.. why wouldn't you want more people to play it?
____________________________


#74 Feb 06 2011 at 11:32 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
***
1,339 posts
reptiletim wrote:
I am in no way surprised that this thread has devolved into a loot ***** vs immersed player debate, complete with references to WoW.

I like the idea of an EXP off switch, just to see how many people switch it off and how many people would be self righteous enough to say they turn it off while secretly keeping it on.

The argument here is really confusing me though. Character progression vs world immerersion. Why can't we have both? I mean that's what both sides of this debate want right? Do a great and immersive story quest and oh look, some real character progression too! Why is that so bad?

On the topic of the game becoming a niche MMO, I have a hard time wrapping my head around why people think that's a good thing. This is an MMO, it just seems backwards to say you don't want people to play this game. A single player game might get away with it, but this is an MMO.. why wouldn't you want more people to play it?


Because the majority of FF-Online players are self-righteous idiots that aren't happy unless they have some higher platform upon which to look down upon the rest of the world. Other people coming in may see that the grass isn't greener on their side, despite how they say it is, so they firmly defend everything being as obtuse and unintuitive (and lacking all common sense) as possible.

They're worse than the elderly when it comes to change. If the wind even just slightly moves their hair when it moves by they freak. "Things were like this before, and they need to stay this way. No sir, I'm happy with my dwindling population and Tanaka style mechanics!"

Just seriously take a look and read what 99% of the posters state: they don't want SP/XP given on quests simply because other MMOs do it.

Edited, Feb 7th 2011 12:33am by StrijderVechter
#75 Feb 06 2011 at 11:47 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*****
12,704 posts
reptiletim wrote:
I am in no way surprised that this thread has devolved into a loot ***** vs immersed player debate, complete with references to WoW.

I like the idea of an EXP off switch, just to see how many people switch it off and how many people would be self righteous enough to say they turn it off while secretly keeping it on.

The argument here is really confusing me though. Character progression vs world immerersion. Why can't we have both? I mean that's what both sides of this debate want right? Do a great and immersive story quest and oh look, some real character progression too! Why is that so bad?

On the topic of the game becoming a niche MMO, I have a hard time wrapping my head around why people think that's a good thing. This is an MMO, it just seems backwards to say you don't want people to play this game. A single player game might get away with it, but this is an MMO.. why wouldn't you want more people to play it?


MMORPG is a niche genre already. If it gets a niche player base that kinda makes:

Quote:
it just seems backwards to say you don't want people to play this game.


An invalid argument as people would be playing the game.

Edited, Feb 6th 2011 9:50pm by Theonehio
____________________________

#76 Feb 06 2011 at 11:48 PM Rating: Default
***
3,416 posts
Quote:
it just seems backwards to say you don't want people to play this game.


Majority of people don't share the same ideals as they do as far as what the game should be like. If the game is not made for a niche audience, it is not made for these people, so while the game may have millions of players, it doesn't matter if the guy who wants the game to stay a niche doesn't play it. For every person out there, the game must cater to him first, others later. This makes sense. The game won't be any good for you if you don't like it.

That's why I think some people want the game to stay a niche.

Quote:
Character progression vs world immerersion. Why can't we have both?


Because not everything in the game has to be related to character progression. It shouldn't be the primary reason for doing the quests, but if you give us a carrot, it will be.
____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#77 Feb 07 2011 at 2:07 AM Rating: Decent
How about the giving a small amount of gil say < 10k and a item(s), now I mean crafting mat item, these can be special mats not rare but better than you average mat maybe have you collect several of them to make a special weapon or piece of armour? Make the NPC's only give the mat randomly so you dont have to just do 5 quests to get 5 mats but maybe get 1 mat every 10 quests or so or just make it so you dont get the same type of mat every time you do the same quest.

Now once you have all the mats crafting the item is pretty easy but the stats given for that item are slightly higher than the normal equivilant so lets say you have the mats to craft an axe lets say the Iron Bhuj, now crafting it give you a normal looking Bhuj but with better stats.

The harder the NPC quest the better the mats the better the stats.
#78 Feb 07 2011 at 7:25 AM Rating: Decent
**
660 posts
Hyanmen wrote:

Quote:
Character progression vs world immerersion. Why can't we have both?


Because not everything in the game has to be related to character progression. It shouldn't be the primary reason for doing the quests, but if you give us a carrot, it will be.


Why not? Why can't everything offer some sort of character progression?
____________________________


#79 Feb 07 2011 at 7:37 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*****
12,704 posts
reptiletim wrote:
Hyanmen wrote:

Quote:
Character progression vs world immerersion. Why can't we have both?


Because not everything in the game has to be related to character progression. It shouldn't be the primary reason for doing the quests, but if you give us a carrot, it will be.


Why not? Why can't everything offer some sort of character progression?


Why does it have to?

Unless by progression you mean unlocking more story that doesn't make reaching the level cap even easier I agree it should have progression.

Edited, Feb 7th 2011 5:38am by Theonehio
____________________________

#80 Feb 07 2011 at 7:48 AM Rating: Excellent
No, No, No... SP comes from skilling up your job, that's why it is called a skill point. How does your skill improve if you bring a stack of flint stones to an NPC?
If you HAVE to get something other than items, Gil, Fame.. then hopefully it would only be EXP.
BUT I am actually very much against getting either SP or EXP from quests... It's just not Final Fantasyish.
____________________________

#81 Feb 07 2011 at 12:57 PM Rating: Decent
**
660 posts
Wouldn't the game be a lot more memorable if you could develop your character AND complete a good story at the same time?

I'm saying they should be, not that they have to be. Hey it isn't that way now so clearly it doesn't have to be that way. I just think SE would be doing its players well by giving exp in addition to completing content. Good content and steady character progression should be the goals of any MMO. If/when they implement quests this should be no different.

I liked the Red Mage artifact quest line in FFXI, but it would have been even better if I got exp at the end of it too along with the gear. Character progression and a good story all in one. Why would anyone want just one or the other?
____________________________


#82 Feb 07 2011 at 1:12 PM Rating: Good
****
9,526 posts
AnnabelleCloud wrote:


1. Waiting an hour for a behest you might not get to do because of 30 ppl also waiting.



Have you tried behest at tranquil? If you insist on sticking to bloodshore/horizon then yeah - you just have to deal with the fact that everyone wants in on behest and there isn't enough room there.

But you can do other things... I mean seriously. I was partying with a few people on hippos getting 210 SP per kill really fast... they are endless, and cause of the aggro (they clump together) there is a little challenge to them.

____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#83 Feb 07 2011 at 1:15 PM Rating: Good
****
9,526 posts
reptiletim wrote:
Hyanmen wrote:

Quote:
Character progression vs world immerersion. Why can't we have both?


Because not everything in the game has to be related to character progression. It shouldn't be the primary reason for doing the quests, but if you give us a carrot, it will be.


Why not? Why can't everything offer some sort of character progression?


Character progression, sure - but that doesn't have to be SP. Getting a hawt weapon for your class is, in my opinion WAY more character progression than getting SP.

We already have generic kill quests. They are called leves. You get SP for killing the mobs - that is the way it should be.

I would, however, be okay with some quests rewarding SP scrolls or unrefillable SP rings.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#84 Feb 07 2011 at 1:31 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
597 posts
reptiletim wrote:
Character progression and a good story all in one. Why would anyone want just one or the other?


There's a prevailing attitude amongst FFXI veterans that the leveling experience is something to be loved and cherished; they parrot the phrase "it's the journey, not the destination" in support of this train of thought. While they're not necessarily wrong in that regard, they're ignoring the idea that things like quests and dungeon crawls should enrich and enhance that journey, rather than exist as activities outside and/or beyond it.
____________________________
WoW - Andorhal
Darkkiwi - 85 Gnome Unholy Death Knight - <Flaming Bunnies>
Lightkiwi - 72 Gnome Disc Priest - <Flaming Bunnies>
Kwanita - 82 Gnome Frost Mage - <Flaming Bunnies>
Maglyn - 81 Gnome Protection Warrior - <Flaming Bunnies>


Don't play that game anymore. :P
#85 Feb 07 2011 at 3:37 PM Rating: Good
*
57 posts
Olorinus the Vile wrote:


Character progression, sure - but that doesn't have to be SP. Getting a hawt weapon for your class is, in my opinion WAY more character progression than getting SP.

We already have generic kill quests. They are called leves. You get SP for killing the mobs - that is the way it should be.

I would, however, be okay with some quests rewarding SP scrolls or unrefillable SP rings.



That is true of DoW&M only, in regards to the 1st two comments.

I do agree 110% with the scroll and ring comment fully, especially for DoL and H classes.
____________________________


#86 Feb 07 2011 at 3:43 PM Rating: Good
****
9,526 posts
AnnabelleCloud wrote:
Olorinus the Vile wrote:


Character progression, sure - but that doesn't have to be SP. Getting a hawt weapon for your class is, in my opinion WAY more character progression than getting SP.

We already have generic kill quests. They are called leves. You get SP for killing the mobs - that is the way it should be.

I would, however, be okay with some quests rewarding SP scrolls or unrefillable SP rings.



That is true of DoW&M only, in regards to the 1st two comments.

I do agree 110% with the scroll and ring comment fully, especially for DoL and H classes.


There are leves for DoH/DoL that reward SP for actually doing class things too - so I don't see how that just applies to DoW/DoM - also - um, I dunno about you but if I got a alembic of awesomeness from a quest or shoes of potent potions I would be very happy as a DoH. I don't think that only DoW/DoM need/want shinies.

____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#87 Feb 07 2011 at 4:00 PM Rating: Decent
*
57 posts
Yes I know there are leves for DoL and Hand, but good luck finding a craft leve your level, they are always 15 levels below what you need to get. I do a happy dance when I get more then one craft leve for the job I want to level. I don't know about DoL, atm I get 2 my level per city and I am not going to travel to all three cities to do 6 leves.
____________________________


#88 Feb 07 2011 at 4:09 PM Rating: Good
****
9,526 posts
AnnabelleCloud wrote:
Yes I know there are leves for DoL and Hand, but good luck finding a craft leve your level, they are always 15 levels below what you need to get. I do a happy dance when I get more then one craft leve for the job I want to level. I don't know about DoL, atm I get 2 my level per city and I am not going to travel to all three cities to do 6 leves.


Oh yeah that is another issue entirely and I agree... I have a thread in the feedback forum on that
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#89 Feb 07 2011 at 4:25 PM Rating: Good
*
57 posts
I guess if they offered more class specific leves I would be ok with quest not giving sp. It's just frustrating that I can't get hardly any craft leves for the job I WANT to level, so i end up leveling them all slowly, hence why I have every stinking job @20+ now.
____________________________


#90 Feb 07 2011 at 4:39 PM Rating: Good
**
660 posts
Quanta wrote:
reptiletim wrote:
Character progression and a good story all in one. Why would anyone want just one or the other?


There's a prevailing attitude amongst FFXI veterans that the leveling experience is something to be loved and cherished; they parrot the phrase "it's the journey, not the destination" in support of this train of thought. While they're not necessarily wrong in that regard, they're ignoring the idea that things like quests and dungeon crawls should enrich and enhance that journey, rather than exist as activities outside and/or beyond it.


You know, I always joked about hardcore FFXI veterans being masochistic but if that's true then maybe I was right. Maybe the game really does hate its players after all.

I think people are using too loose of a definition of "quests" too often. Yes, lots of quests in modern MMO's involve murder of X number of vermin and whatever, but for a creative developer there's a lot more to do. I brainstormed up a few (is that even a real word?) that I'd like to see in FFXIV:

1. A minesweeper quest. Avoid the gobbie bombs!
2. Go deliver this volatile liquid to person B. Don't bump into anything!
3. I lost my valuable item running from raptors. You look strong, get it for me!
4. Convince so-and-so to leave me alone, I don't care how!
5. Hot Coffee mini-game (a different way to craft!)
6. You are badly poisoned, find the right antidote before you die!
7. Our royal cook skipped town, help us prepare the banquet
8. Make a helmet for my retarded cousin so he doesn't kill himself!
9. Who killed Roger Lallafell? Solve the mystery!
10. whatever

Quests don't have to be so freaking boring and be cookie cutter from WoW or whatever. Doing quests like these AND exp/sp? Yes, please!
____________________________


#91 Feb 08 2011 at 8:18 AM Rating: Excellent
*
130 posts
Just quests like there was in ffxi is fine with me, maybe a slightly better reward than 100 gils and a pebble but I also loved just to talk randomly to npc to see them offering a quest! I wouldn't mind having many many quests to unlock any sort of features in the game (chocobos/airships/advanced jobs/companion and whatnot) and also have a NPC running to me when I enter a city to ask for my help from time to time :D.
I for sure do not want the 'exclamation mark on top of the NPC's head' that requries me to kill X of Y or kill X of Y to get Z. To me, it's all about the cutscene, funny/charismatic character, a bad boy/monster to defeat (there is the SP/EXP reward for the quest :-D). I for example this quest in ffxi I never was able to do because of the lack of people motivated but it's just sounded so fun with friends: Take a group of 6 people with level lower than 5 (iirc) and travel to Konschat!!!
____________________________

yfaithfully wrote:
To add to those, if you can get this DeLorean up to 88 MPH, you'll be able to play this game in 2019 when they've finally implemented mounts.

#92 Feb 11 2011 at 2:50 AM Rating: Decent
35 posts
NCP quest should be items/gil/spells/fame/faction credits only
SP/XP quests are already in the game they are called levequests! Every leve has mission details, kill efts for 16 to help the local traders! Or has everyone lost sight of this cause they to busy zerg'ng the way through in a group leve link!
Please SE give us quests that help us receive a feeling of achievement! Did anyone else feel very satisfied when completed Basty's best dressed set of quests!! The xp gain from the mob's to get the subligar to drop was a bonus true but not paramount!
Also bear in mind we dont lose xp or sp for death, in 11 it was very rare to be capped out! So it was very helpfull to put extra towards your buffer, in 14 once you hit that cap what benefit will sp or xp be?
____________________________
Diamonds are Forever!

FFXI - Carby - Embers: WHM 85 THF 85 RDM 80 SAM 80 MNK 75 SMN 75 ALC 78

[img]http://common.zam.com/xivsigs/1825588.png[/img]
#93 Feb 11 2011 at 3:28 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
Quote:
Also bear in mind we dont lose xp or sp for death

One of the reasons why it's so boring to do guildleves.
I die on a 5 star leve, go make a coffee, and repeat at 4 stars.
Yawn.
#94 Feb 11 2011 at 3:55 AM Rating: Good
***
1,146 posts
No SP/EXP besides what you get for fighting during a quest.

Quests should be for job defining class specific abilities, class specific gear (artifact gear), new classes and new areas or restricted areas.

Besides that, there should be not only simple quests but quest chains where you can work towards really good stuff that can be compared to NM drops. Oh, and while we're at that, NM drops and such should either have better stats than crafted gear of the same level or something special about them.

Also, there should be a fair ammount of Quests that require a small party.

In short, quests should be meaningful and give a feeling of accomplishment. FFXI style.
One interesting thing they could add for SP/EXP would be something similar to Besieged.
____________________________

Final Fantasy XI
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Name: Kyana (retired)
Jobs: THF75 PLD70 BST70

1 2 Next »
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 24 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (24)