Don't be too sure about that yourself.
First of all, let's look at other MMORPG as well.
Warhammer was really fun, but does it last? No.
Warhammer have the stuff, Dynamic questing for both side that adjust the power differences of the realm.
The events are all engaging, not just single quests but they have the "war" quests. Realm vs Realm and Arenas and such.
But you have to ask yourself, despite all the uniquiness of warhammer. Did you stay in the game more then 1 month? At least i didn't.
Secondly, now let's look at DCUO, yes the game is unique, fun but it only lasted 10 day for me. It was fun until level 30. Once i am @ level 30, i have to repeat the same OLD RAIDS, DUO or even the 3 arena 5v5 4v4 and 8v8 until i earn the iconic armor. Where is the fun afterward? NONE. I rather go play Call of duty then just grind these arena like WoW
However, if you look at FFXIV?
What make you play FFXIV and keep playing?
1. Job change. You are never bored when you level multiply job in one character then redo all the ****** quest again for 5 times for your 5th character. That alone have earn your play time.
2. Crafting system. MMORPG these days doesn't craft! No, they just a click and you get your items. Where is the fun of selling stuff and asking for friends for items? Where is the fun from being a RICH guy with billions of gil slapping off your friends with?
3. a true evolving STORY LINE! seriously, can you come up and tell me that any of the 3 story line is "horrible?" (assume you complete the line). I personally found the stories are quite interesting myself. I am enjoying it.
Now let's be smarter let's compare something here.
FFXIV right now is 100% leveling focus. Meaning apart from the leveling content in say WoW for example when we all have a level cap character what FFXIV missing is
1. PVP Battleground
2. Raid dungeons or those 6 man dungeons
3. PVP Arenas.
4. purchasing some expensive mount :P
Name me another if you can.
Same with DCUO, @ level 30 vs a level 50 FFXIV
1. Raid dungeons
3. PVP arena 5v5 , 4v4, 8v8.
So what is the different?
Now let's compare to FFXI vs all these MMORPG
@ level 99 vs a level 85 wow
1. Conquest, campaign (mass PVM)
2. Ballista, brenner (let's call them pvp arena)
3. group challenges (orb battle)
4. Expansion COP, TOAU, WOTG, and scenarios
5. Class armor (Story and armor)
6. Maat fight if you are hard core!
8. Monster hunter
9. Chocobo Race
10. Various RAID battles (odin fight, chambers...dynamis, abbsyea, sea, Omega...etc)
11. HNM (let's add sky in too)
12. Nyzule isle (definitely get one on their own)
13. Magician trial.
14. follower (trainning your follower)
15. Besieged! (i would give this one apart from conquest)
Think i am missing more.
Anyway, i hope you get my point. The things you can do at MAX level in FFXI vs WoW = make wow look crap.
and everyone that plays FFXIV know FFXIV will eventually succeed FFXI. WoW released for 6 years and still have nothing or enough content close to FFXI.
Don't you feel stupid now?