Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

What is this talk about FFXIV being dead?Follow

#52 Feb 11 2011 at 6:13 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
It's rumoured it was an attempt to prevent price history manipulation.
Who knows.
More likely the true story is that they simply couldn't manage to finish in time,
then tried to sell their solution-on-crutches (retainers) as THE perfect innovation.

It's gotten better by now, but looking back, I still want to kick those stupid
fanboy a*holes in the face for defending the original market wards without search
function and price display.

"It's all for the immersion! I like it, it prevents undercutting! If you can't
stand it, go play WoW!"

Go die in a fire.



Edited, Feb 11th 2011 7:17pm by Rinsui
#53 Feb 11 2011 at 6:18 PM Rating: Default
ragamuffin, Tarutaru Murder Suspect wrote:
Hmm..dead, would you please mind telling that to all the people on Palamecia who always seem to be doing what I wanna do in the places I wanna do it! No matter what time I log on, day or night, there are way too many white dots around, there seem to be more and more every day...damnit! someone tell them the game is dead.




Why thank you for the default guys, obviously I was being facetious and tongue in cheek and I love the fact there are more and more people coming on. What happened to everyone's sense of the ridiculous or fun for that matter.
____________________________
Hocuspocus of Hades:
The Kings Majesties most excellent Hocus Pocus
Karma Zameleons - Zam.com Linkshell on Ultros Server!
#54 Feb 11 2011 at 6:19 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
787 posts
Quote:
It's rumoured it was an attempt to prevent price history manipulation. Who knows. More likely the true story is that they simply couldn't manage to finish in time, then tried to sell their solution-on-crutches (retainers) as THE perfect innovation.


If the Devs disliked the FFXI AH system due to the price history, then they could have simply made a standard AH with no price history. Ta-dah!
#55 Feb 11 2011 at 6:22 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
Basically, they could have done *anything* as long as their starting point was something functional. ;)

Edited, Feb 11th 2011 7:22pm by Rinsui
#56 Feb 11 2011 at 6:25 PM Rating: Default
***
1,313 posts
The game is not dead, lol. There are many people playing.

It needs a lot of work but those two statements don't really belong in the same inquiry.

Is a the game dead? y/n N

Does it need work? y/n Y
____________________________
Eithne Draocht
My IG: archaicmachinery - Friend me!
#57 Feb 11 2011 at 9:47 PM Rating: Excellent
Quote:
Let's face it, no one is going to wait another 6 months to a year while FFXIV gets to where SE and the customer's want it to be.


I disagree with this train of thought.

Infrastructure wise, this game is very close to where it needs to be. Yes, there will still be lots of room for making improvements, but that's the nature of MMOs.... there are always improvements happening.

All this game really needs is content, and it's not going to take six months for that to arrive. Heck, it probably won't even take two more weeks. I think the reason the servers are slowly filling up again is people are returning to the game and realizing they're on the forefront of the building wave... it's as if THIS is launch, only we have the opportunity to get a head start.

If it really took another six months for the game to be enjoyable, then yeah, I'd totally agree with this statement... but the game is already enjoyable, and it's getting more and more enjoyable with every update. At Yoshi-P's pace, we'll have 12 more updates over the next six months, and the game is already enjoyable! Still think the game won't be "playable" for most Final Fantasy fans by then?

And yeah, I'm sure some people will try out RIFT, but I stand by my earlier statement that RIFT isn't Final Fantasy. I think RIFT will be competing more for WoW players than FFXIV players, and in the end, I predict WoW players will eventually keep playing WoW, and that RIFT will go the way of Warhammer Online, Aion and all the others.
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#58 Feb 11 2011 at 10:30 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,576 posts
Thayos wrote:
Quote:
Let's face it, no one is going to wait another 6 months to a year while FFXIV gets to where SE and the customer's want it to be.


I disagree with this train of thought.

Infrastructure wise, this game is very close to where it needs to be. Yes, there will still be lots of room for making improvements, but that's the nature of MMOs.... there are always improvements happening.

All this game really needs is content, and it's not going to take six months for that to arrive. Heck, it probably won't even take two more weeks. I think the reason the servers are slowly filling up again is people are returning to the game and realizing they're on the forefront of the building wave... it's as if THIS is launch, only we have the opportunity to get a head start.

If it really took another six months for the game to be enjoyable, then yeah, I'd totally agree with this statement... but the game is already enjoyable, and it's getting more and more enjoyable with every update. At Yoshi-P's pace, we'll have 12 more updates over the next six months, and the game is already enjoyable! Still think the game won't be "playable" for most Final Fantasy fans by then?

And yeah, I'm sure some people will try out RIFT, but I stand by my earlier statement that RIFT isn't Final Fantasy. I think RIFT will be competing more for WoW players than FFXIV players, and in the end, I predict WoW players will eventually keep playing WoW, and that RIFT will go the way of Warhammer Online, Aion and all the others.


I think you sorely underestimate how long it takes to develop the kind of content XIV needs in order to salvage a place in the market. You can't count your own personal inclinations as an indicator of what it will take to turn XIV around...you're too much of a fan. You say the game is already enjoyable...the game's population flies directly in the face of that.

The bottom line is this: if XIV's active population now is all they ever get, your precious game will be gone in 6 months. If the active population doubles, your precious game will still be gone in 6 months. When you talk about how people will play it because it's Final Fantasy, you're right. Some people will. But 50000 people aren't going to keep the game afloat.

Before you go off making all these assumptions about Rift's future, you might want to actually try the game. It's easy...open beta starts next week. You fancy yourself something of a journalist, ya? So do the research before making the commentary. Inform yourself. Rift has already sidestepped the issues that led to the disappointing outcomes for WAR and Aion. And along the way you might learn the difference between a game with potential based on what's already in the game, and a game with potential based on the hopes and dreams of fans of the franchise the game borrows its name from.

XIV launched. Estimates on actual retail box sales are in the 500k range. Very shortly after launch (within one month) XIV experienced a sharp drop in user activity due to people realizing that all the hope about what would happen between the end of open beta and launch was for nothing...nothing had changed. And since then, XIV has continued to hemorrhage players such that many servers, prior to the removal of the world population information, typically had < 1000 players logged in at any given time, and of those logged in a very substantial number were afk bazaars. The last estimates I heard had XIV's actual, active player population in the 30-50k range. Actually, total players, active or not, dropped below 40k in October and we all know the numbers didn't stop falling after that. And the game remains free to play. What might those numbers look like if SE began charging monthly subs?

So somewhere out in the world, assuming the estimates are on point for current active players, there are around 450k people with an FFXIV retail box sitting somewhere in their home who could return to the game and check things out after a patch here or an announcement there, but the true test will come when SE finally decides to start charging. I think that day is approaching faster than you might think, and I think we both know that will be another dark day in FFXIV's history. A lot of the people who left won't be coming back any time soon, if at all. Another segment might come back from time to time but they won't stick around. And of those who have already left and those who remain, charging monthly subs for the game will get a lot of people off the fence.

People expect more from an MMO than what XIV has to offer, and I think you underestimate the discrepancy between what players expect and what Yoshida can get into the game in the limited amount of time he has before the bean counters have to start making tough decisions. It's not just about what you want and what you like and what you're willing to accept as good enough. You need tens/hundreds of thousands of people who feel the same way you do to keep the game going, and XIV doesn't have the numbers right now. There are some subjective aspects to this. Some opinions, some preferences, and they all have their place. But at the end of the day, what matters is an objective assessment of the $$$, and all the loyal fans who will happily play a sub-par game just because it's Final Fantasy aren't going to be enough to pay the bills.

Edited, Feb 11th 2011 8:41pm by Aurelius
#59 Feb 11 2011 at 10:49 PM Rating: Excellent
*
93 posts
Dead? I don't think so on life support very much indeed chance of coming back? outlook looks bleak. I don't care what anyone says FF14 is a doomed game added to the fact with major titles in the gaming world releasing this year I don't see FF14 making any kind of come back even with these band aid fixes on a broken leg patch I would very much prefer them shutting it down and rebuilding it from the ground up

Edited, Feb 11th 2011 11:55pm by Rankin657
#60 Feb 11 2011 at 10:50 PM Rating: Good
***
2,202 posts
And here we go again!! Round 187941 FIGHT!
____________________________
MUTED
#61 Feb 12 2011 at 12:18 AM Rating: Excellent
Quote:
You say the game is already enjoyable...the game's population flies directly in the face of that.


The game's population appears to be on the rise, and this has been collaborated by many who play. To me, this indicates the game is enjoyable. I'm definitely enjoying it! And if you've read my articles over the past few years, you'd know I'm not blind to SE's shortcomings. Heck, if SE's community reps could post freely on here, they'd probably laugh at you for implying that I'm a fanboi.

Nor is FFXIV my life. I do enjoy it, but it's just one of the things I do during my pockets of free time. So if FFXIV doesn't make it, my world will keep spinning just fine. Pretty sure all the other admins here feel the same way, too.

As long as this game is in good shape when the PS3 version goes live, it will be absolutely fine. It may never have the large fan base that FFXI once had, but it will have enough players to be online for several years.

By the way, I'm not trying to bash on RIFT. I've never played WoW or RIFT, so you definitely won't ever see me slamming those games, unless I'm joking around. All I'm saying is that WoW and RIFT look an awful lot alike, and I've read several critiques stating that in-game mechanics are very similar too. Based from everything I've read/heard over the past several years, WoW and FFXI have some pretty significant differences, and most FFXIV players migrated here from FFXI, not WoW. So, again, it stands to reason that most people playing FFXIV don't want to play WoW or RIFT... they want to play FFXIV! And my theory is supported by the fact that lots of people still play FFXIV (and populations are now on the rise) despite the game's horrible launch.

If FFXIV were any other game, I would doubt it's ability to survive... but it's the new online Final Fantasy title, with a prepackaged global fan base that wants the game to succeed and is willing to wait it out -- and that's not including the PS3 players who will be walking into a sparkling, virtually newly released game.

In short, FFXIV will be just fine.
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#62 Feb 12 2011 at 1:04 AM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,576 posts
Thayos wrote:
Quote:
You say the game is already enjoyable...the game's population flies directly in the face of that.


The game's population appears to be on the rise, and this has been collaborated by many who play. To me, this indicates the game is enjoyable. I'm definitely enjoying it! And if you've read my articles over the past few years, you'd know I'm not blind to SE's shortcomings. Heck, if SE's community reps could post freely on here, they'd probably laugh at you for implying that I'm a fanboi.


Every time there has been a patch with patch notes beyond one line explaining the bug they fixed, people have come back. Then they leave again. And then more people leave. The end result is a net loss. And that will continue until SE offers a robust game. You criticize SE, and you continue to play the games you're critical of and turn around and say you're enjoying yourself. And yet you then turn around and predict games are going to flop like WAR and Aion when they're in a better state pre-launch than XIV is today. How does that work? How is XIV with < 50k active accounts going to be just fine and games that are in much better shape are going to flop?

Quote:
Nor is FFXIV my life. I do enjoy it, but it's just one of the things I do during my pockets of free time. So if FFXIV doesn't make it, my world will keep spinning just fine. Pretty sure all the other admins here feel the same way, too.

As long as this game is in good shape when the PS3 version goes live, it will be absolutely fine. It may never have the large fan base that FFXI once had, but it will have enough players to be online for several years.


Turbine transitioned DDO to the F2P model to save the game with 90k paying subscriptions. Turbine didn't spend anywhere near as much to develop DDO as SE did to develop FFXIV. If Turbine couldn't keep their game going with double/triple the active accounts, how is SE going to manage?

Quote:
By the way, I'm not trying to bash on RIFT. I've never played WoW or RIFT, so you definitely won't ever see me slamming those games, unless I'm joking around. All I'm saying is that WoW and RIFT look an awful lot alike, and I've read several critiques stating that in-game mechanics are very similar too. Based from everything I've read/heard over the past several years, WoW and FFXI have some pretty significant differences, and most FFXIV players migrated here from FFXI, not WoW. So, again, it stands to reason that most people playing FFXIV don't want to play WoW or RIFT... they want to play FFXIV! And my theory is supported by the fact that lots of people still play FFXIV (and populations are now on the rise) despite the game's horrible launch.


"Lots" isn't as subjective as you're trying to make it out to be. In the MMO world, < 50k isn't "lots". < 50k is shameful. < 50k is a company pushing themselves to the verges of bankruptcy in a last ditch attempt to try and recover their investment. Even though some of the people still logging in to FFXIV are going to leave for Rift, it's not the people still playing that SE needs to be concerned about right now. It's the people not playing FFXIV that SE needs to be focused on.

Quote:
If FFXIV were any other game, I would doubt it's ability to survive... but it's the new online Final Fantasy title, with a prepackaged global fan base that wants the game to succeed and is willing to wait it out -- and that's not including the PS3 players who will be walking into a sparkling, virtually newly released game.


That prepackaged global fanbase largely told SE to go **** themselves. They aren't willing to wait it out. 90% of them have already quit. Let's not mess around...SE has months...not years, months...to develop everything required to offer a successful MMO short of the engine and if they can't do it, there will be no PS3 version to save the game. There won't even be a PC version. It's just numbers, guy. Businesses aren't built on hope. They're built on sales and, in the case of MMOs, subscriptions. SE doesn't have any subscriptions. They've got overhead on 18 servers with a player population that justifies 5, and all those players are playing for free. They've got salary and facility overhead on a development team that probably amounts to 100-150 people. They're already over budget on an MMO that isn't earning any money.

Quote:
In short, FFXIV will be just fine.


A bold statement with little (if anything) to support it at this point. The poll in this thread doesn't even support it.
#63 Feb 12 2011 at 1:22 AM Rating: Excellent
Quote:
The poll in this thread doesn't even support it.


The poll shows more than 75 percent of respondents believe the game will be fine as long as it continues to be updated, which it will be.

Quote:
90% of them have already quit.


Considering Japan is a console-heavy playerbase, I'd say 90 percent of them haven't even played yet.

Quote:
It's the people not playing FFXIV that SE needs to be focused on.


Agree with that completely, but that includes PS3 players who aren't PC gamers, and RIFT/WoW is a non-factor for those players. Continued updates will be enough to bring those players into the fold, and SE will get a percentage of the others, too.

Quote:
how is SE going to manage


Existing crowd + increasing server populations + PS3 crowd + continued updates = success.

Quote:
Every time there has been a patch with patch notes beyond one line explaining the bug they fixed, people have come back. Then they leave again. And then more people leave. The end result is a net loss.


This was true after the December update, but now people aren't leaving... camps are getting busier and busier. I think it's because of how fast the updates are coming, and because of the skill points fix that has made leveling seem less grindy. But server populations are definitely on the rise... it's so obvious, there's no need for a /sea all feature to figure it out.

Quote:
How is XIV with < 50k active accounts going to be just fine and games that are in much better shape are going to flop?


I don't know, why did Aion and Warhammer flop? Perhaps you've answered your own question. Maybe a game's success can't be defined by its launch?

In any event, FFXIV is blessed with having two launches... a PC launch and a PS3 launch. The PC launch bombed, but now that SE has pulled its head out of its rear end, is there any reason to believe the PS3 launch won't have everything players want and then some?

Edited, Feb 11th 2011 11:35pm by Thayos
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#64 Feb 12 2011 at 2:12 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
191 posts
Quote:
In any event, FFXIV is blessed with having two launches... a PC launch and a PS3 launch. The PC launch bombed, but now that SE has pulled its head out of its rear end, is there any reason to believe the PS3 launch won't have everything players want and then some?


Two launches is not a blessing, its a failure.

I couldn't even continue playing for more then 2 days after reactivation. This game just doesn't have it.
____________________________


#65 Feb 12 2011 at 2:13 AM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,576 posts
Thayos wrote:
Quote:
The poll in this thread doesn't even support it.


The poll shows more than 75 percent of respondents believe the game will be fine as long as it continues to be updated, which it will be.


No, the poll shows that ~75% of the people say the game is not dead. It also shows that ~85% of people still agree that there is much work to be done. And what the poll doesn't even touch is whether or not the additions in forthcoming patches will do the job. This isn't a case of SE being able to just add anything and save the game. What they add has to count. There's no more room for failure. Not only do they have to add abundant content across the full spectrum of player involvement, but it has to be implemented flawlessly. SE can't afford to be releasing patches that render the game riddled with bugs, stability issues, and broken content. In short, they have to be able to do something they've never done before. A tall order on a short timer.

Quote:
Quote:
90% of them have already quit.


Considering Japan is a console-heavy playerbase, I'd say 90 percent of them haven't even played yet.


Let's just be clear about something here. You keep talking like the PS3 version is a foregone conclusion. It's not. They aren't going to start porting to the PS3 until they get the PC version sorted out, and there's absolutely no guarantee that they're going to be able to do that before the number crunchers take a look at the hard data and decide that they're better off to just cut their losses and redirect their resources to something else with better odds of a return. I'm not sure what it is about the situation that you're not grasping. < 50k active accounts on a game that the developer can't even charge for yet is a shutdown waiting to happen. NO MMO has survived such an abysmal performance. Ever. I'm not saying SE can't recover because that's just a defeatist attitude but it does put the monumental task ahead of them into perspective. There are no foregone conclusions here. There is no, "When they get past this hurdle, the PS3 launch will save the game." This "hurdle" is a mile high and 10 miles wide. There's no going around it, and three's no quick jump over it.

Quote:
Quote:
Every time there has been a patch with patch notes beyond one line explaining the bug they fixed, people have come back. Then they leave again. And then more people leave. The end result is a net loss.


This was true after the December update, but now people aren't leaving... camps are getting busier and busier. I think it's because of how fast the updates are coming, and because of the skill points fix that has made leveling seem less grindy. But server populations are definitely on the rise... it's so obvious, there's no need for a /sea all feature to figure it out.


It's not about whether or not people are coming back. It doesn't matter if they're coming back. It doesn't cost them anything to come back. What matters is whether or not SE can make them stay. If the people had to pay $12 to reactivate a sub in order to come back, they wouldn't be coming back. And if immediately forthcoming patches aren't spectacular, they're not going to stay. And every time a patch disappoints, more of the people who have stuck it out are going to leave.

Quote:
Quote:
How is XIV with < 50k active accounts going to be just fine and games that are in much better shape are going to flop?


I don't know, why did Aion and Warhammer flop? Perhaps you've answered your own question. Maybe a game's success can't be defined by its launch?


Stability issues and lack of content. That's why they flopped. And look at FFXIV. Client stability issues and lack of content. And it has flopped far, far worse than WAR or Aion. A game's success is largely defined by its launch. A game can have a stellar launch and fizzle and still make tons of money for the studio, but a game that can't sustain 6-digit population numbers within 3 months of launch has a long, hard road ahead of it.

Quote:
In any event, FFXIV is blessed with having two launches... a PC launch and a PS3 launch. The PC launch bombed, but now that SE has pulled its head out of its rear end, is there any reason to believe the PS3 launch won't have everything players want and then some?


It's not an issue of what the PS3 launch can or can't do for FFXIV. It's entirely an issue of whether or not the game will be around long enough to make it to a PS3 launch. SE can't port to the PS3 until they start getting positive re-reviews of FFXIV. They can't port a **** game to the PS3 and expect that to save it.
#66 Feb 12 2011 at 2:33 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
For once, I have to disagree, Thayos.

Quote:
The game's population appears to be on the rise, and this has been collaborated by many who play.(...) camps are getting busier and busier.

Yes. Rise from what? 30k average -> 40k average? Right after the patch? And now? This morning (Japan) I was at camp Nine Ivies, crafting and leveing for about 45 minutes. In that time I saw 1 (!) other player. Saturday. And Gridania was a ghost town. The "influx" people report is just a consolidation to some few preferred spots. Those around Ul'dah.

Quote:
Considering Japan is a console-heavy playerbase, I'd say 90 percent of them haven't even played yet.

Two things to consider:
1.) Is the PS3 as popular as the PS2 was?
2.) Will people want to join a game after its PC version flopped
and those players left are game-controling hardcore nerds?

FFXIV is on the funeral pyre. Let's hope nobody lights a match.

P.S.: Please, take a 30 minute look at Rift. There's a reason why people compare FFXIV with it. It's "polished". Not my taste, but polished very much, indeed.
#67 Feb 12 2011 at 5:11 AM Rating: Excellent
**
451 posts
Rinsui wrote:


Quote:
Considering Japan is a console-heavy playerbase, I'd say 90 percent of them haven't even played yet.

Two things to consider:
1.) Is the PS3 as popular as the PS2 was?
2.) Will people want to join a game after its PC version flopped
and those players left are game-controling hardcore nerds?


This line is Key really. The PS3 is no where near as relevant as the PS2 was. Let's just assume that a PS3 release doubles the amount of people playing FFXIV, we are still < 100k. Which is still about as dismal as it comes. To put it into perspective, APB had roughly 3 times the amount of registered players as FFXIV when it was canceled.

Which brings up another point, and I'm sure it will be extremely unpopular. In all honesty, it would benefit the game a lot more, if SE would just pull it offline, take it back to the lab and remake it. Since going offline, APB has been purchased by another company, and is currently being given an overhaul, to be released again later. Now, the community and insiders are actually fairly excited to see what is going to happen with the game. It was pretty widely considered a very good game, that ran into problems with hackers and botters that ruined it.

The same can't be said for FFXIV, anyone that isn't a FF fan, and/or currently playing FFXIV thinks of the game as a joke. ATM FFXIV is toxic. Mention FFXIV while you play any other game, WoW, Rift, GW, DDO, LoTR, Halo, CoD, across the board it's considered a joke. The game has very little appeal to non FF fans. AT most, I can see this game in a year or more, gaining back 50% of the player base it originally had and lost. That is extremely generous, and extremely dismal.

Edited, Feb 12th 2011 6:15am by KristoFurwalken
#68 Feb 12 2011 at 6:07 AM Rating: Good
*
93 posts
KristoFurwalken wrote:
Rinsui wrote:


Quote:
Considering Japan is a console-heavy playerbase, I'd say 90 percent of them haven't even played yet.

Two things to consider:
1.) Is the PS3 as popular as the PS2 was?
2.) Will people want to join a game after its PC version flopped
and those players left are game-controling hardcore nerds?


This line is Key really. The PS3 is no where near as relevant as the PS2 was. Let's just assume that a PS3 release doubles the amount of people playing FFXIV, we are still < 100k. Which is still about as dismal as it comes. To put it into perspective, APB had roughly 3 times the amount of registered players as FFXIV when it was canceled.

Which brings up another point, and I'm sure it will be extremely unpopular. In all honesty, it would benefit the game a lot more, if SE would just pull it offline, take it back to the lab and remake it. Since going offline, APB has been purchased by another company, and is currently being given an overhaul, to be released again later. Now, the community and insiders are actually fairly excited to see what is going to happen with the game. It was pretty widely considered a very good game, that ran into problems with hackers and botters that ruined it.

The same can't be said for FFXIV, anyone that isn't a FF fan, and/or currently playing FFXIV thinks of the game as a joke. ATM FFXIV is toxic. Mention FFXIV while you play any other game, WoW, Rift, GW, DDO, LoTR, Halo, CoD, across the board it's considered a joke. The game has very little appeal to non FF fans. AT most, I can see this game in a year or more, gaining back 50% of the player base it originally had and lost. That is extremely generous, and extremely dismal.

Edited, Feb 12th 2011 6:15am by KristoFurwalken


This I totally agree with its only been a few months lets stop kidding ourselves it would be a heck of a lot better if they just pulled the plug and rebuilt this wreck of a game from the ground up instead of these band-aid fixes that are really not gonna fix any of the problems just cause more

Edited, Feb 12th 2011 7:11am by Rankin657
#69 Feb 12 2011 at 6:14 AM Rating: Good
2 posts
wrongfeifong wrote:
I think people need to use their brain a little.

When FFXI release. How many people quit after 3 month? Just because they found out they can't level beyond 30+?

FFXI was bouncing in the 500k to 800k until 2-3 year after US retail and hit 1 million.

Is FFXI dead? Not. I am pretty sure DCUO is dead on the other hand. I log on yesterday and...i went "WoW" 4-5 PVE server was "LOW" at peak time, no queue on the most popular PVP server. 3rd pvp server have a MED population.

Yes, DCUO is dead.




I am really sad for you trying to make like WOw and DCUO are dead games those games are more ALIVE then FF XIV !
And the reason people quit ff xiv ITS NOT EVEN A GAME ITS NOTHING ONLY BORING THING THAT TRY TO BE AN MMO
#70 Feb 12 2011 at 6:24 AM Rating: Good
2 posts
Rinsui wrote:
Thayos wrote:
Quote:
Rift's launch is going to hit FFXIV's population like a ten ton hammer, and you can take that to the bank.


I'm not sure to what extent this is true. Most of the people who have been playing FFXIV have been playing since launch, and we've endured about the worst that anyone could endure... and we're still here!



Edited, Feb 11th 2011 12:17am by Thayos


.

You still here because its free:P
#71 Feb 12 2011 at 7:18 AM Rating: Decent
**
800 posts
83% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
#72 Feb 12 2011 at 8:23 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
787 posts
Quote:
The game's population appears to be on the rise


If the FFXIV is F2P, how come I don't see a huge influx of new players like I seen in other F2P MMORPGs? Can new potential players download the client for free, create an account and experience the world of FFXIV? Or do new players have to spend $30-$60 for the client for a game that got trashed in the gaming news sites? If there isn't a free client to download, why did they come to that decision?
#73 Feb 12 2011 at 8:32 AM Rating: Decent
***
3,416 posts
Quote:
If the FFXIV is F2P, how come I don't see a huge influx of new players like I seen in other F2P MMORPGs? Can new potential players download the client for free, create an account and experience the world of FFXIV? Or do new players have to spend $30-$60 for the client for a game that got trashed in the gaming news sites? If there isn't a free client to download, why did they come to that decision?


The game is B2P, and has like 600-800k copies sold. If the playerbase is on the rise, it's because of these people.
____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#74 Feb 12 2011 at 8:42 AM Rating: Good
*
112 posts
rubina wrote:
Quote:
The game's population appears to be on the rise


If the FFXIV is F2P, how come I don't see a huge influx of new players like I seen in other F2P MMORPGs? Can new potential players download the client for free, create an account and experience the world of FFXIV? Or do new players have to spend $30-$60 for the client for a game that got trashed in the gaming news sites? If there isn't a free client to download, why did they come to that decision?



its not really f2p more of a extended free trial to the 30 days you get when you buy the game.
____________________________


#75 Feb 12 2011 at 8:46 AM Rating: Good
*
93 posts
Extended trial for 4 months? I think not its free to play until Se pulls their head out of their ***
#76 Feb 12 2011 at 9:14 AM Rating: Good
*
112 posts
Rankin657 wrote:
Extended trial for 4 months? I think not its free to play until Se pulls their head out of their ***


i agree but F2P is free this is not completely free since you have to buy the game. they might as well just give away the game client tho maybe then people will start playing before they add monthly payments. or maybe they will make an item mall that would be some funny stuff, but my vote would go towards them scraping this in the next 2-3 months.
____________________________


#77 Feb 12 2011 at 9:28 AM Rating: Good
***
2,202 posts
Hyanmen wrote:
Quote:
If the FFXIV is F2P, how come I don't see a huge influx of new players like I seen in other F2P MMORPGs? Can new potential players download the client for free, create an account and experience the world of FFXIV? Or do new players have to spend $30-$60 for the client for a game that got trashed in the gaming news sites? If there isn't a free client to download, why did they come to that decision?


The game is B2P, and has like 600-800k copies sold. If the playerbase is on the rise, it's because of these people.


they wish they sold 800k copies lol
____________________________
MUTED
#78 Feb 12 2011 at 9:34 AM Rating: Decent
***
3,416 posts
Quote:
they wish they sold 800k copies lol


~500k outside Japan so far. 300k copies sold in Japan? Not that unlikely, although 700k or so sounds more likely.
____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#79 Feb 12 2011 at 9:42 AM Rating: Good
***
2,202 posts
Hyanmen wrote:
Quote:
they wish they sold 800k copies lol


~500k outside Japan so far. 300k copies sold in Japan? Not that unlikely, although 700k or so sounds more likely.


They only made 800K, if they had sold out, we all would have known, they sold 120k on japan, if i remember correctly they had a post here with the numbers, but both US and EU sold way more units, none past 200K mark but way more than 120k, that would put them at best a bit below 500K, of course this was before in japan they got back on top of the sales, wish might not mean much in japan anyways

Oh i found this on google, dont know about the accuracy of it, but it was the only data i could find

http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales/35106/final-fantasy-xiv-online/

491K sold, both US/EU outsold ***

Edited, Feb 12th 2011 10:51am by Ostia
____________________________
MUTED
#80 Feb 12 2011 at 10:09 AM Rating: Excellent
Quote:
In all honesty, it would benefit the game a lot more, if SE would just pull it offline, take it back to the lab and remake it.


I actually believed the same thing through early January, and then we learned about the aggressive update schedule, and everything changed. In my opinion, the only reason to pull it offline would be to avoid the negative criticism of the game while improvements are happening. However, having updates occur so close together seems to be resonating with the playerbase and bringing people back. Take away some outspoken critics on this board, and most players seem very optimistic about FFXIV's future, as shown in the poll results of this thread.

If Yoshi-P and the dev team really plan on doing two updates per month, then I say keep the gave live and let us play! And as a FFXIV player, I really appreciate the head start on the grinding aspects of the game.

I also don't think the game needs to be remade. Why remake a beautiful game that already has so much framework? All this game needs is content. That's all most people are clamoring for right now. We'll get our first dose of real content in a couple weeks, and I expect we'll continue to get more each month.

EDIT: Well this game needs LOTS of stuff, not just content, but content is the one "make-or-break" thing this game needs right now.

DOUBLE EDIT:
Quote:
No, the poll shows that ~75% of the people say the game is not dead. It also shows that ~85% of people still agree that there is much work to be done.
My point exactly. This game won't be dead until that number shows people have given up on it.

Edited, Feb 12th 2011 8:37am by Thayos
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#81 Feb 12 2011 at 10:29 AM Rating: Decent
*
75 posts
I find it hilarious that Hydragyrum is ridiculing the speculation (and even going so far as to ridicule Aurelius's irrefutable facts) when he himself argued against the population call function and celebrated the fact it was removed.

Talk about glass house stonethrowing pot-kettle *********
#82 Feb 12 2011 at 12:19 PM Rating: Decent
**
800 posts
HardHotThrobbingAetherite wrote:
I find it hilarious that Hydragyrum is ridiculing the speculation (and even going so far as to ridicule Aurelius's irrefutable facts) when he himself argued against the population call function and celebrated the fact it was removed.

Talk about glass house stonethrowing pot-kettle bullsh*t.


First of all, both sides are throwing out ridiculous statistics and I made no indication as to which side I was on, or that I'm even on a side. Secondly, the population function wasn't fully understood, and so basing "facts" on a function that we're not sure how it's even generating the numbers seems silly to me. Thirdly, Aurelius's "irrefutable facts" are two third party websites. How did mmosite generate the data they reported on that you guys are calling irrefutable facts? They don't give a source or a method. Aurelius has no primary facts. But of course neither does Thayos, which is why arguing something that neither side fully understands is silly which leads me to the most important part of my comment you quoted: It was a joke! I made up that statistic about making up statistics, get it?. I figured the sarcasm was heavy enough to make it through the intertubes but I guess some people just don't get it. I'll be sure to put sarcasm tags on it next time for you.
#83 Feb 12 2011 at 1:39 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
Quote:
The game is B2P, and has like 600-800k copies sold. If the playerbase is on the rise, it's because of these people.


Buddy passes. Dustbin bargains. Second-hand-software.
#84 Feb 12 2011 at 1:53 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
*
67 posts
comparing Xiv with rift is stupid, they are different kinda games.

i would compare faster Tera with FF xiv.

maybe FF xi players are just in rage to let go that game?

#85 Feb 12 2011 at 2:42 PM Rating: Decent
2 posts
now that dc universe online is out for the ps3. ffxiv will not have the mmorpg market all to themselfs.
and i dont think many people would pick ffxiv over dc univeserse right now.

if ffxiv had 1/10th the community ff11 had i would still be playing it. cant have a community based game wihout group forced leveling.
#86 Feb 12 2011 at 2:59 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
991 posts
atomiccowboy wrote:
now that dc universe online is out for the ps3. ffxiv will not have the mmorpg market all to themselfs.
and i dont think many people would pick ffxiv over dc univeserse right now.

if ffxiv had 1/10th the community ff11 had i would still be playing it. cant have a community based game wihout group forced leveling.


so very very untrue

dcu doesnt feel like an mmo as much as it does an action/adventure type rpg
people who want an mmo are not gonna flock to dcu
also, there is a huge difference in the fantasy and superhero genres, alot of people just plane do not want to play a superhero game
____________________________


#87 Feb 12 2011 at 3:12 PM Rating: Decent
*
137 posts
The population arguement is pointless until they start charging.

The day SE starts charging, then lets talk population.
#88 Feb 12 2011 at 3:21 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
787 posts
Rinsui wrote:
Quote:
The game is B2P, and has like 600-800k copies sold. If the playerbase is on the rise, it's because of these people.

Buddy passes. Dustbin bargains. Second-hand-software.


I'm not sure why people cling to sold copies because IMHO that doesn't reflect monthly retention which is where the money is. I would think measuring the health of a MMORPG would be measured from how customers were willing to renew each month. Why bother counting accounts that no longer have an active subscription or activation code which has never been applied from a box set?

If FFXIV addresses a majority of their issues and if they offered a lifetime subscription, I would consider picking up one.
#89 Feb 12 2011 at 3:22 PM Rating: Good
*
112 posts
doubleax wrote:
The population arguement is pointless until they start charging.

The day SE starts charging, then lets talk population.



how is it pointless? if its low now chances are it will just be lower once they start charging
____________________________


#90 Feb 12 2011 at 3:24 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,202 posts
If its low when its FREE! Why would it increase when is not ?
____________________________
MUTED
#91 Feb 12 2011 at 3:55 PM Rating: Good
*
137 posts
elevencharle wrote:
doubleax wrote:
The population arguement is pointless until they start charging.

The day SE starts charging, then lets talk population.



how is it pointless? if its low now chances are it will just be lower once they start charging



It is pointles cause the game is essentialy free to play. This is beta testing all over again. So the population talk is pointless. You want to talk about growth and people playing a game. Lets wait till they start charging.

Cause growing now means nothing.

Edited, Feb 12th 2011 4:57pm by doubleax
#92 Feb 12 2011 at 5:47 PM Rating: Default
*
106 posts
It's not dead at all and patches will make it a lot better in time

If by dead, you mean the servers are empty, then no. Granted I don't log on but maybe once or twice a week but there are players everywhere. Market wards are full, players still crowded around repair npcs, and behests filling up within the first few seconds for the R20 ones.

If at any point the game was dead it was probably late Dec - mid Jan when there were not that many people online but at least my server has seen a lot of activity as of late. As SE continues to implement new patches that introduces new content as well as fine tuning the UI and fundamental battle/craft systems I expect to see launch day player numbers if not more in a few months.
#93 Feb 12 2011 at 6:00 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
3,226 posts
So a few people come back when the only activity in FFXIV--grinding to 50--isn't a pain in the *** anymore. Big deal. They'll hit 50 and the populations will tank again.

And don't you tell me NMs are something to do. The award of faction points is so erratic that it could be weeks before you get enough points for one NM, and this is to say nothing of the black hole Horn & Hand is to FP.

____________________________
w(°o°)w
#94 Feb 12 2011 at 6:08 PM Rating: Excellent
Yep, people returned after the SP fix, and I bet even more will return when quests are added in a couple weeks! In fact, I bet we'll see the population climb as long as these two-week updates keep happening. That's why this aggressive update schedule is so smart on SE's part.
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#95 Feb 12 2011 at 6:41 PM Rating: Good
***
2,202 posts
It all depends on what they update thayos, if they pump content that meters in a constant basis, they game will hold on for dear life way longer, but if they add meaningless content to buy more time, they are done
____________________________
MUTED
#96 Feb 12 2011 at 6:52 PM Rating: Excellent
Quote:
It all depends on what they update thayos, if they pump content that meters in a constant basis, they game will hold on for dear life way longer, but if they add meaningless content to buy more time, they are done


I agree... they need to continue adding new content at least once a month while continuing with UI changes. They also need to keep up this two updates/month pace, to keep people interested and keep people coming back. It will be hard for anyone to believe the game is hanging on for dear life if people keep joining up at the rate they've been since the middle of January.

SE has to keep changing the perception about this game. All the improvements in the world are meaningless if people still talk about the game like it's crap. Perception has already improved significantly though, and I believe perception will continue to improve with each successful update.
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#97 Feb 12 2011 at 7:01 PM Rating: Good
***
2,202 posts
Thayos wrote:
Quote:
It all depends on what they update thayos, if they pump content that meters in a constant basis, they game will hold on for dear life way longer, but if they add meaningless content to buy more time, they are done


I agree... they need to continue adding new content at least once a month while continuing with UI changes. They also need to keep up this two updates/month pace, to keep people interested and keep people coming back. It will be hard for anyone to believe the game is hanging on for dear life if people keep joining up at the rate they've been since the middle of January.

SE has to keep changing the perception about this game. All the improvements in the world are meaningless if people still talk about the game like it's crap. Perception has already improved significantly though, and I believe perception will continue to improve with each successful update.


True, the game is playable at this moment, while on release it was horrible, they got that under wraps for now, i'm much more concerned with, what type of content they can release with limited time, i can understand that leaves can be accepted as content at this point, but at what point can we expect them to expand their storyline etc etc ?

Like i have expressed before, time is this games worst enemy, as other games are closer and closer to release, the biggest downfall for FFXIV is the lack of any content that actually meters (Raids, HNM, SQ, MQ etc etc)
____________________________
MUTED
#98 Feb 12 2011 at 11:17 PM Rating: Good
**
749 posts
It's funny to come across these threads when checking in every month or so. Everyone sits there defending one side or the other, and it's the same topic threads from before release.

As far as FFXIV's lifespan, I'll offer the following:

1) From my experience with FFXI and the FFXIV beta, SE cares only for the FF fans in the land of the rising sun.
2) Those fans trend to play the console version of the game. . so much so that SE developed FFXIV specifically for console controls.
3) The console version of FFXIV has been delayed indefinitely.

That should tell you everything you need to know about FFXIV's future.

It really is a shame, even after all this time and disapointment I would love to see them turn around and start succeeding with this game, but the forum today reads the same as back during the beta: The same issues, the same complaints. . and the same question

--Will FFXIV live or die?

Best of luck guys, but I'm not holding my breath




____________________________
http://www.rantmedia.ca/newsreal/
http://www.piratepartyradio.com


The Truth is a virus
#99 Feb 13 2011 at 1:35 AM Rating: Excellent
I think it's pretty clear SE plans on launching this game on the PS3... otherwise, why bust their humps pumping out two updates/month while letting PC users play for free?

They're going all-out on the faith this game will succeed on the PS3. It will launch on the PS3, no doubt about it.

When it launches, will the JP playerbase respond? THAT, more than anything, is what will ultimately decide this game's fate. A resurgence in NA and Europe wouldn't hurt, either, but the JP playerbase is the most important anchoring demographic.
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#100 Feb 13 2011 at 1:55 AM Rating: Good
*****
11,576 posts
Thayos wrote:
I think it's pretty clear SE plans on launching this game on the PS3... otherwise, why bust their humps pumping out two updates/month while letting PC users play for free?


They could pump out an update a week for the next six months and if the PC players still say the game sucks, there will be no PS3 version.
#101 Feb 13 2011 at 2:10 AM Rating: Decent
22 posts

-> Dead with no hope.

I'm just wondering if SE will survive this.

WTS SE stock.... interested anyone?
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 18 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (18)