I don't know how they catch bots--I'd like to, since right now I'm afraid enough that I even avoid using any sort of video capturing software like fraps. I want to, but I'm afraid they'll see it as "third party software" or something, so I play it safe. Now, if people are getting reported because they're ignoring other players... well then im screwed. I often don't see tells when im right there playing the game and I sure as anything am not going to see em when im crafting and watching tv. If that sounds impossible to you, then i dont know what to tell you... just don't ask me about it in game when im crafting... becuase i won't respond.
It seems there are a lot of questions about how to identify botters. The key is to identify several specific repetitive patterns for long periods of time
The following is what I generally say when I report them to Special Task Force.
1) Ignoring chat/tells. However, this alone is NOT enough. But combined with:
2) Repetitive actions at specific time intervals (use a stopwatch to time them). For example, using Standard Synthesis every 20secs (timing accuracy down to the second). I doubt anyone can repeatedly and accurately hit the same button every 20secs.
3) Long periods of time. Use a stopwatch and time them after 1hr, 2hrs, 3hrs, etc. If he is still using the same action repeatedly every 20secs, then he's most likely a bot. I highly doubt any human possesses enough timing accuracy to be able to repeat an action every 20secs for hours.
1) Ignoring chat/tells.
2) Animation lag during battle. For example, ranged attacks with melee weapon.
3) Walking through walls.
4) Repetitive monster targeting patterns. Bots can't seem to distinguish between player characters and monsters. Therefore, bots will target players if there are no monsters nearby. A bot would 1)target you, 2)then walks over to where you are standing, 3) de-selects you 4)repeats #1 to 3 until a monster spawns or you move out of their botting range.
5) Specific botting range. The bot will only interact with things inside a set range and ignores everything outside the range. The range is very specific where half a step in walking mode will set off the bot.
6) Long periods of time. If it's a bot, #1 to 5 above will repeat for hours, days or even months.