Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Is Grid's population low?Follow

#1 Feb 09 2011 at 10:47 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
97 posts
So i have been reading other post and it seems like the town if Grid is dieing. I play on Besaid server and when i went to Grid it was a ghost town. The wards were not selling much. I also didn't see that many people in the town. In Ul'dah i have noticed an increase in population. Their is also many more people at the camps. At times theirs 20-30 people waiting to get into Behest at camp Horizon and Nophia Wells.

So anyone From Grid move to Ul'dah or LL? I'm curious why Grid's population is so low. I have noticed this for the past week. So like i said I'm curious if people are moving out of that town.

EDIT: title

Edited, Feb 9th 2011 11:52pm by flavvor
____________________________


#2 Feb 09 2011 at 10:55 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
991 posts
Im from grid, but i dont hang out there

the reason why its low is it doesnt have any optimal "camps" outside of harvesting
it also has a low ammount of crafting guilds(2) compared to others(3)
____________________________


#3 Feb 09 2011 at 11:01 PM Rating: Good
*
144 posts
I read a pretty good explanation from someone here, but I can't remember who.

Basically, this person said that because the Weavers' Guild is Ul'dah, lots of weavers gather their to quickly rank up. Lots of other DoL/DoH/DoM stay in proximity of the weavers to minimize downtime for repairs. Thus, many other classes unrelated to weaver stay near Ul'dah because their repairers are there. Vicious cycle.

It also doesn't help that Grid's camps are atleast 10-20 minus apart, with lots of turns, as opposed to Ul'dah's camps which are easily 5-10, and don't require too many turns(so autorun is plausible). Ul'dah also has Coblyns/Doblyns, and prepatch (and probably post), the best leves to link.
____________________________
Sir Littlej wrote:
i think i said goodbye, but i might have told him to go die, im not sure


Tera Kalinathon wrote:
i do like... wood o.o



#4 Feb 09 2011 at 11:02 PM Rating: Good
*
144 posts
Also, Grid is spread out like a ****.

And all the Story missions converge at Ul'dah, so some people stay there I guess.
____________________________
Sir Littlej wrote:
i think i said goodbye, but i might have told him to go die, im not sure


Tera Kalinathon wrote:
i do like... wood o.o



#5 Feb 09 2011 at 11:06 PM Rating: Good
*
236 posts
I started in Gridania and re-started in Ul'Dah. I just wasn't feeling it.
____________________________

#6 Feb 09 2011 at 11:14 PM Rating: Decent
4 posts
I moved from Grid. There are more people in Ul'Dah, which means I can sell stuff faster. Also I think the leves are a little better.
#7 Feb 09 2011 at 11:17 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
*
139 posts
MCraine wrote:
I started in Gridania and re-started in Ul'Dah. I just wasn't feeling it.


That's exactly what I did. I kept getting lost in the woods and decided to start some place more open. Although I will say I think Gridania the most beautiful city of the three and Ul'dah is probably the most boring, looks wise.
____________________________

#8 Feb 09 2011 at 11:42 PM Rating: Excellent
*
236 posts
Yep. I started with Gridania because I was like "wow, what an awesome looking place" and because I kind of wanted my character to be from the woods and all that good stuff because I get a little into the back story in my head... lol

But when I started there I kept getting lost, had a hard time finding the camps and figured I'd be better off as a rookie heading to a simpler city. Ul'Dah was actually my last choice in terms of environments I wanted to start in (leveling in the desert isn't really THAT exciting) but it ended up being the simplest city to navigate and with little game knowledge, I figured that would be a good thing.

Plus the wood wailers with their different colored masks and blank eyes kinda freaked me out.
____________________________

#9 Feb 10 2011 at 1:18 AM Rating: Good
***
1,313 posts
MCraine wrote:
Yep. I started with Gridania because I was like "wow, what an awesome looking place" and because I kind of wanted my character to be from the woods and all that good stuff because I get a little into the back story in my head... lol

But when I started there I kept getting lost, had a hard time finding the camps and figured I'd be better off as a rookie heading to a simpler city. Ul'Dah was actually my last choice in terms of environments I wanted to start in (leveling in the desert isn't really THAT exciting) but it ended up being the simplest city to navigate and with little game knowledge, I figured that would be a good thing.

Plus the wood wailers with their different colored masks and blank eyes kinda freaked me out.


All right! It's the Crainemeister! Did you get an invite to the LS yet dude?
____________________________
Eithne Draocht
My IG: archaicmachinery - Friend me!
#10 Feb 10 2011 at 1:21 AM Rating: Good
**
465 posts
It's discouraging to me when you compare and contrast it to Windurst. How a starting city is this dead months after release has to be considered a failure by SE - I hope they decide to redo The Black Shroud, but I doubt that it'll happen. And I hate to say, Limsa isn't doing that much better.
____________________________
Lodestone
#11 Feb 10 2011 at 1:43 AM Rating: Good
I tried all three cities from playing beta and made the choice to go with Ul'Dah. I must admit the most beautiful is Grid but unless SE do something about the crazy labrynth surrounding it I only visit if I have to (vendor, Storyline etc). I went to the Markets there to try and find an item but most of the items do not even show up for the serach feature - not a good sign.
____________________________
Esuna Forums

#12 Feb 10 2011 at 1:45 AM Rating: Decent
*
120 posts
levelxplane wrote:

And all the Story missions converge at Ul'dah, so some people stay there I guess.


i think this is the most accurate, and also is the center of the game location wise. head of commerse will always be the center of the land mass, since to get to limsa to gridania takes an age, and same vice-versa however uldah is obviously the quickest to all from each other
____________________________


#13 Feb 10 2011 at 2:37 AM Rating: Decent
12 posts
It's my hometown and this place blows. Uldah is so much better. I don't like the "tunnel" style of the outside environment as well, too many walls for a forest IMO.
____________________________




#14 Feb 10 2011 at 3:24 AM Rating: Good
***
1,146 posts
Not only Gridania.
I've been in Limsa yesterday to grab some materials from vendors and it was like a ghost town too.
There were more NPCs than players. Same in Gridania. I found 2 players in the adventurers guild there, wohooo.

The only reason for people to go there are the guilds for advanced support and maybe leves. But since story quests all continue in Ul'dah most people move there.
And, as previous posters already stated, the areas aren't that great either. Long travels through empty areas are not what I call exciting and entertaining.

What Final Fantasy XIV is missing right now, in my opinion, is the fantasy part. While the areas do look nice and all, there is nothing mysterious about them. No ancient sctructures or strange buildings, nothing to make players curious and encourage them to explore and find out more about the areas.
When I see screenshots or ingame footage of other next gen MMOs I get jealous sometimes, when I compare the number of details in the open world they have, to what we have in FFXIV at the moment. FFXI was alot better in that aspect.

If there were no guilds in Gridania and Limsa the 2 cities could be removed as a whole because there is no need to go there at all.
____________________________

Final Fantasy XI
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Name: Kyana (retired)
Jobs: THF75 PLD70 BST70

#15 Feb 10 2011 at 3:45 AM Rating: Good
*
130 posts
I also have Grid as my starting city but I quickly moved to Uldah for two simple reasons (already mentionned above by the way):

1) Storyline missions that converge there.

2) It's in between LL and Grid. It was a pain when no animas to have to walk all the way to to boat close to Uldah. Now, I either use animas to teleport from Uldah to Grid or take the ferry from Uldah to LL.

Even though I do not really get lost in the tunnel-like map around Grid, I felt so much better the first time I went to the desert or the other zones. Anyways, there has to be also a place for people from different cities to gather for trade purposes (Jeuno in the beginning of FFXI, before Whitegate) and Uldah is the most convenient place for this as the wards are not connected to each other. The only reason I go back to Grid is for the conjurer rank quests and carpenter leves that seem to be better there for me.

____________________________

yfaithfully wrote:
To add to those, if you can get this DeLorean up to 88 MPH, you'll be able to play this game in 2019 when they've finally implemented mounts.

#16 Feb 10 2011 at 3:48 AM Rating: Good
*
129 posts
The Black Shroud is just a confusing maze of tunnels and narrow passage-ways and it doesn't help when they've put aggro-able mobs at choke points. (Seriously, what is with that Wild Hog en route to Emerald Moss, an r10 camp?) It doesn't help that claustrophobic feel when it's perennially dark and dreary and the terrain feels cycled.

That being said, Gridania itself is absolutely gorgeous. I just wish the layout didn't make it seem like it takes forever to get from one place to another there.
#17 Feb 10 2011 at 4:10 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,449 posts
In my opinion, being the "one in the middle" is the main reason for the increase in population of Uldah.

Also, because the journey between il and LL involves the ferry, which you can afk for 10-15 mins then if people will travel to another city then that will be LL.

Gridania would be the hardest town to get to, or more attantion/time consuming and as such is the one people do the less effort to get to.

Regardless of all this, we will probably see in a few months the opening of Ishgard which will then create a stampede of players from Uldah to it.
____________________________


My FFXIV Blog



#18 Feb 10 2011 at 4:16 AM Rating: Good
I did all the storylines in Beta as well and I think Gridania storyline is by far the most interesting... however, just like many others on this thread I feel the forest around Gridania way too spread out and confusing.
I think in time if option comes to be able to change nations I might hop to Gridania because to me it feels a lot more homely than Uldah where I am from now... but for that to happen I want my friggin Chocobo that will take me around the jungle....

And now that I think of it... Black Shroud really reminds me the trouble I had in Yuhtunga and Yoathor jungle in 11... lol - anyone got stuck in a tunnel with a goblin in your way and you had no way of making yourself invisible?!?!??! hahah good old memories.
____________________________

#19 Feb 10 2011 at 4:44 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
531 posts
Yeah on Karnak too Gridania doesn't have anywhere near the number of players in Uldah. It's very empty and lonely. I'm from Gridania so it stinks that the city I'm from has so few people. Sometimes I would like to try to start leve parties with people at the adventurer's guild, but now it is impossible because it is mostly vacant. That maze like forest is definitely the killer of Gridania. I don't like it much either and wish it was more open. Hopefully SE can do something that can encourage more people to visit Gridania so behests can be more than 2 people and camps will be fuller.
____________________________






#20 Feb 10 2011 at 5:04 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
544 posts
I like staying in Grid because it is a bit isolated and go to Ul dah as needed. Dunno, guess its just me.
____________________________
Counting Sheep of Balmung



#21 Feb 10 2011 at 5:07 AM Rating: Good
**
370 posts
I haven't been to any city besides Uldah in 2 months. Mainly because Uldah is where all of guildleve parties gather. Central meeting points always develop and it is only natural that it is Uldah seeing that it is in the midddle of both cities.
____________________________
Thaumaturge/Archer/Marauder
http://xivpads.viion.co.uk/?id=1847776
Moogle Inc linkshell
http://www.moogleinc.com
Stand in front of me fool...I am a Thaumaturge
#22 Feb 10 2011 at 5:09 AM Rating: Excellent
*
160 posts
Yeah, my home town is Grid, but I'm not there often.
It's easy to find your way around outside after you get used to it, but the copy/paste is annoying.

On the plus side.....it's a lot easier to find chests on leves near Grid.
____________________________


#23 Feb 10 2011 at 8:03 AM Rating: Good
*
116 posts
I tried all three starting cities during open beta and found Gridania to be the most beautiful. Sadly this means that it is the most system intensive. I experienced more lag and graphical bugs in Grid than the other two cities so I ended up picking Ul'dah at retail. Though I'm aware that at this point things are much, much better (no more reversed colors!) I still generally only venture to those endless twisting tunnels and that semi-morbid forest atmosphere when absolutely necessary.

It seems that Gridania is turning out to be the new Bastok. It has some charm and players will go there when they need to, but never really enjoy it all that much.
____________________________
FFXIV :: Valdai Devarda \ Lindblum Sargatanas "The Thread Closer"
.............................................................................................................
#24 Feb 10 2011 at 8:07 AM Rating: Good
46 posts
My original character was in Gridania, but when I switched servers I decided to move to LL because the map seems more "open". I dont mind the maze in the black shroud (its not really that hard to read the map) but I can see how it would be annoying for a lot of players (someone cited the autorun argument).

Overall I just enjoy the map and scenery of LL more than the other cities. I only go to ul'dah to buy stuff since the LL wards usually dont have as much stuff. The whole desert scenery doesn't do it for me though, so I do leves in Grid or LL mostly.
____________________________

#25 Feb 10 2011 at 8:37 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
194 posts
Grid is the prettiest city, but the Shroud sucks for all of the reasons mentioned by other posters here.

I personally love the whole theme of LL (pirates, argh!) and I think that the La Noscea surrounding area is by the far and away the best looking area to grind / farm in.

Unfortunately, I end up spending most of my time in Uldah along with 90% of my servers population. It's the most boring city, but it's radial design is highly functional and easy to navigate. The adventuring leves issued in Uldah seem to be the most popular for leve links and that seems to be the most efficient way to level anymore. Finally, part of the reason I play MMO's is for the social aspects of the game, which further pushes me to Uldah.

I would hope that SE would eventually implement a capital city (e.g. Jueno or Whitegate from FFXI, Dalaran from WoW, etc.) that will hopefully cause a mass exodus from Uldah. As a DoH or DoL, traveling between all three (3) cities searching for rank appropriate leves that award the marks I need, and then traveling between all three (3) cities to get the appropriate guild support, and then traveling to various aetheryte crystals to turn in said leves is getting pretty old pretty quickly...

#26 Feb 10 2011 at 12:11 PM Rating: Excellent
****
9,526 posts
Ul'dah was designed to draw people together. I think it is actually good design when the lore says that uldah is the center of commerce and then players make it so. The fact is uldah is in the centre of the three main cities. It is pretty quick to get from uldah to the ferry terminal - so when you base yourself in uldah you only need anima to get to grid.

Grid should be the least popular city to hang out in - just look at the lore! The trees don't like outsiders. It isn't meant to be welcoming. Grid is stronghold of the elemental spirits. They actually don't want people tramping all over.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#27 Feb 10 2011 at 12:14 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
812 posts
Simply put, I hate the map of the black shroud so I avoid having to navigate it whenever possible.
____________________________
Abaddon Active Player Roster
- All your Fabul Sever are belong to us! -


#28 Feb 10 2011 at 12:29 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
437 posts
Retainers are the answer! ?? wut??

I think they should allow us three free retainers but only one per city, that way it would force people to move around more. As retainers were introduced as 'not adventurers' it would make sense for them to stay in one place or city.

Might not be the most popular move but would improve the game.

haven't read the entire thread so maybe someone already said this.
____________________________

Metin - Phoenix - BLM75 WHM48 Retired

http://cojenova.enjin.com/ff14forum

#29 Feb 10 2011 at 12:37 PM Rating: Good
****
9,526 posts
Metin wrote:


Might not be the most popular move but would improve the game.



How would it "improve the game?"

There are always central and non central cities where players will congregate. If the server populations were not so low this would be less of an issue with regards to ul'dah... but I don't see the fact that people congregate in the central city (which in lore is the central city) as a flaw that needs to be fixed by massively inconveniencing everyone.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#30 Feb 10 2011 at 12:42 PM Rating: Good
*
86 posts
Olorinus the Vile wrote:
Metin wrote:


Might not be the most popular move but would improve the game.



How would it "improve the game?"

There are always central and non central cities where players will congregate. If the server populations were not so low this would be less of an issue with regards to ul'dah... but I don't see the fact that people congregate in the central city (which in lore is the central city) as a flaw that needs to be fixed by massively inconveniencing everyone.


^^ this
There is not a flaw in having one central city its what people ******* about before. Now all the goods are sold in one city all the crafters for repairs are hanging out in one city its actually better then using anima to check 3 different market wards.

Its how ff11 was really with jeuno and Whitegate and no one saw a prolem with that.
#31 Feb 10 2011 at 12:45 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
437 posts
Olorinus the Vile wrote:
Metin wrote:


Might not be the most popular move but would improve the game.



How would it "improve the game?"

There are always central and non central cities where players will congregate. If the server populations were not so low this would be less of an issue with regards to ul'dah... but I don't see the fact that people congregate in the central city (which in lore is the central city) as a flaw that needs to be fixed by massively inconveniencing everyone.


I foolishly presumed the obvious.

It is not good that other citys are empty. If they we're more populated with players it would be better. Anyone else agree with this?

Im not saying a central jeuno is bad but in XI windy, bastok, and sandy had people and markets. that is better than nothing there at all.

Edited, Feb 10th 2011 1:48pm by Metin
____________________________

Metin - Phoenix - BLM75 WHM48 Retired

http://cojenova.enjin.com/ff14forum

#32 Feb 10 2011 at 3:43 PM Rating: Decent
Metin wrote:
[Im not saying a central jeuno is bad but in XI windy, bastok, and sandy had people and markets. that is better than nothing there at all.


Which were mostly dead compared to Jeuno once the majority of us had Chocos and OP:Warps and such. The only reason the starting cities in XI still (assuming here I haven't played in a few years) is because of the Nation Quests and trying to keep your nation in first place. I hope for a similar Conquest type system. I have a lot of pride for Windy, I'm not ashamed to be from Grid but I am sad it's so vaccant.

The one cool thing about the near empty wards though is you can find some really good deals on fast moving product to resell elsewhere. You can also take advantage of the situation and move some goods like lower ranked items and crafting materials relevant to that cities Guilds. They sell quickly if you read the market right and put up the appropriate goods.
____________________________
FFXI:Sylph - Perrin 75 Hume THF; Retired (At least from my use any way)
EVE Online:ScraperX; Retired
WAR:IronClaw- Peryn SW;SkullThrone- Grymloc BO; Retired


#33 Feb 10 2011 at 6:02 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
50 posts
I also noticed that the Black Shroud -- and La Noscea, to a lesser degree -- are pretty deserted, especially compared to Thanalan. Though the layout in the Black Shroud doesn't really bother me, I do understand why many people don't like it that much. And with its wonderful layout, I can also see why Ul'dah is such a popular city. But . . . I think the Black Shroud, and much of La Noscea, are just too empty. Not every place has to be a central hub with a consistently high population, of course, but surely there must be something between "central hub" and "mostly deserted", or at least I'd hope.

I love the Black Shroud, but don't play there as often as I'd like for the simple reason that most of the population is in Thanalan. Going to a camp in the Black Shroud during peak times and finding only a handful of people there (usually, a small linkshell group doing leves) is kind of depressing. As much as this game is solo-friendly, behest is kind of lousy with only 2-3 people (if you're lucky!) and IMHO leves are just better when you can grab a few people at camp to do them with.

Just my two cents. ^^
#34 Feb 10 2011 at 8:55 PM Rating: Good
Ul'dah is the most populated because it's centrally located as people have said. I'm from Grid but I move "base camp" every week or so. I've been in LL for the last week and Ul'dah is next in the rotation, then back to Grid.
#35 Feb 10 2011 at 9:15 PM Rating: Good
**
491 posts
SylOdinsdottir wrote:
The Black Shroud is just a confusing maze of tunnels and narrow passage-ways and it doesn't help when they've put aggro-able mobs at choke points. (Seriously, what is with that Wild Hog en route to Emerald Moss, an r10 camp?) It doesn't help that claustrophobic feel when it's perennially dark and dreary and the terrain feels cycled.

That being said, Gridania itself is absolutely gorgeous. I just wish the layout didn't make it seem like it takes forever to get from one place to another there.


And, The Black Shroud whenever I've run though it is ALWAYS raining. Low visibility, ding-y-ding-y brain killing music, choke points everywhere, with marmots getting in your way and those insane left-turn hills where a right-turn puts you uphill. Bot killers? I dunno.

Oh, and TBS also has the rivers you can't run straight across, but only to the left or right. Usually shoving a couple of dopey crabs out of the way en route.

And it has the highest incidence of 'small rocks' that you get stuck on if you happen to be looking away from the screen for 0.1 second.

AND IT IS ALWAYS RAINING.

Very green though.
#36 Feb 10 2011 at 9:48 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
97 posts
I think you forgot to mention that it rains their.lol

OK so i'm glad its not just me. I'm like Grid but ya the rain is lame and i'm not a fan of the maze type landscape. it really needs to be more open with patches of the mazes not the entire landscape. I hope SE changes that zone.
____________________________


#37 Feb 11 2011 at 2:12 AM Rating: Decent
*
120 posts
you say it rains there, but I find the sand storms of uldah much worst than rain
____________________________


#38 Feb 11 2011 at 5:36 AM Rating: Excellent
*
211 posts
In general, I think the other 2 cities are dying because people just have an urge to congregate. Uldah is the chosen spot because it's the center city.

Other factors include it's selection of guilds. All crafters need weaver repairs, and lots of them.. Well, a good place to get them is the city with the weavers guild. Crafters also usually rely on alchemy mats, and it has that guild too... And goldsmiths are very helpful to repair weapons and jewelry, especially for lower level chars since the repair npcs skip fixing your jewelry... Well, uldah has that guild as well. Sure the other guilds are nice too, as are the other crafters, but they all gather in uldah for the same reasons as everyone else.

The location of the camps is probably a factor too. I know that's where I did leves at 33+, because you can just hike to broken water, do leves, hike to halatali, do leves, then use your last leve to tele back to drybone, and it's a short hike to town. Now with the whole favorite camp and town anima reduction, that's not a big deal since it's only 2 anima to go to a city if you're in that zone, but it's still more convenient then hiking to nine ivies, and then waaaaay the **** over to treespeak, with practically no chances for autorun.

But the biggest reason, is the selling aspect. People like to have a central place to buy things. Early on they shouted in uldah, and now we have the ward search, but either way... At first uldah only had a slightly higher population, but it was enough to make people start gathering there. That's why I left grid, even though I do love the look of the forest and all that. But hey, the wards are a stones throw from the aetheryte and adv. guild, and the other guilds aren't far either... The city is just built to be ugly but functional and convenient, and that's tough to turn down after everyone else is already there. And if anything, uldah is just filling the void that the lack of ishgard/jeuno has left. When that comes along, uldah will dry up quick, because everyone will pack their retainers into the ishgard wards, and set that place as their homepoint.

As a side note... I love the forest areas in the black shroud. That and coerthas are by far my favorite zones aesthetically... But I agree the whole maze layout sucks. If it had a much more open area style, but still had all the trees, it would be so much cooler. The tunnels really kind of ruin it though, you just don't feel like you're roaming through a forest, it's more like a trench most of the time. The spots that open up are nice, but they are too small and uniform because of all the copy pasted terrain to really make up for the rest of the zone. Overall I would love to see a second attempt at a good forest zone, along with a snow zone... But grid as-is... meh. Just meh... For so many reasons. But, next time you're in the area, try going into first person mode and looking straight up... And stop to poke around some of those flower patches... They really did a great job on the place aesthetically, at least in part. Until that unavoidable mad angler agros your lvl 15 botanist, then the long trench-hike sort of dampens your appreciation of the pretty graphics.

At times it feels like some overly tired developer was toiling away building the zone, and after placing one too many bushes, suddenly decided the place should be like a giant hedge maze, and nobody stopped him. ;/
____________________________
PvR fun!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KYqooGHd2g




This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 26 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (26)