Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
This Forum is Read Only

Race SelectionFollow

#1 Feb 12 2011 at 9:34 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
220 posts
In FF11 I wanted to play a tank so i picked Galka and made him HUGE. From the reading I've been doing to keep me busy while I RL farm up the money to get FF14, which I will have tommorow "awww snap". I have come to the conclusion I have no idea what race to choose at all, they all seem awesome in there own way.

What race are you? And why did you choose it?

On a side note if i could be a Moogle I'd be playing that. Mog (FFVI FTW)
____________________________
#2 Feb 12 2011 at 9:53 PM Rating: Good
**
923 posts
I'm a Hyur but started out as a Lalafell, made the switch because the run animations are just so ridiculous. I also tried a Roegadyn but I think most armor tends to look terrible on their wide frames.
#3 Feb 12 2011 at 9:59 PM Rating: Good
Sage
*
139 posts
I picked a Duskwight Elezen because it was the lesser of evils really. At first I was a keeper of the moon Miqo'te. Then I realized everyone is a Miqo'te and they are mostly male IRL. I've always had kind of an aversion to playing the race that is mostly men playing females, so I rerolled human. I hate how boring an average a human is. I want to be a monster or an animal or something, not what I already am IRL. I like cute small races, but the fact that Lalafel look like baby humans kind of creeps me out a little (their chubby little baby arms /shudder). And I don't like playing male characters if given the choice. So the only race left was Elezen. I'm not totally thrilled with how masculine they look, but I guess it's better than being a human.
____________________________

#4 Feb 12 2011 at 10:29 PM Rating: Decent
15 posts
I've had trouble deciding what to be myself. I've made a lala, a miqo'te, an elezen and a human ( all girls, i am a girl irl by the way) Lala's are great, but i get tired of being so short all the time. Humans are cool, they look really awesome, but i can't stand how prissy they run, it's ridiculous. I loved mithra in 11, so i made a miqo'te and i've stuck with that. I know most of them are guys irl, but i stopped caring what other people play and just decided to make what I wanted to play. And elezen were just too out of proportion, quite manly and heads are too small compared to their shoulder width and body size. They do look muuuuuch better than elvaan in 11, but i couldn't get past the proportions. I pay no attention to base stats, being a person who cares if i can connect with my character.

since the game is free right now, if i were you i would just try out a bunch of the races and see which one you like best.

i would so play as a moogle too xD
____________________________


#5 Feb 12 2011 at 10:37 PM Rating: Good
*
93 posts
I went lalafell with the tarutaru accents cause I wanted to build a mage character although race has no effect on classes this time around I just like the look of the lalafell(tarutaru) decked out in mage gear
#6 Feb 13 2011 at 12:12 AM Rating: Decent
11 posts
Well I only started playing a week ago, but I made quite a bit of race combinations before finally settling on this guy. My opinions on the races and my experience with them...

Lallafell- My first pick, they're cute, and I always wanted to be a tarutaru in FF11,I even tried to level one twice in this game before picking my final race, ultimately I think I just like seeing them around than actually being one.

Elezen- My main's race in FF11, tried to "resurrect" that character in this game and felt..."meh", didn't like run animations and the stance is awkward, I grew out of generic elven characters in fantasy games.

Hyur- Didn't bother trying to make one of these since I see so many in game

Highlander- These guys looked awesome in the beginning, but no real difference in look between a hyur when clad in armor unless helm is off. I also didn't like any of their hair selections, but loved the facial hair.

Miqo'te- Cute, nice to look at, I promptly deleted mine after being quickly bored with the catgirl look. Plenty of others playing them if I want to admire one.

Roegadyn- Final choice, not alot of people playing these in my server, so I can't say this race is "played out", traditionally the big guys in fantasy games take a backseat to the typical archtypes so thankfully I'm not overexposed to this race. And unlike someone above I think their wide frames make them look great in armor, especially heavy/plate/haubergeon.
#7 Feb 13 2011 at 12:34 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
2,536 posts
samosamo wrote:
the run animations are just so ridiculous.


I don't really have anything to contribute to this thread but I just wanted to say that I wholeheartedly agree with this statement. Especially the walking animation. The waddling in XI was so much cuter.
____________________________
FF11 Server: Caitsith
Kalyna (retired, 2008)
100 Goldsmith
75 Rng, Brd
Main/Acc
Exp/Hybrid
Str/Attk
Spam/Others
#8 Feb 13 2011 at 12:40 AM Rating: Good
11 posts
Now if only SE created a hybrid race of lalafell and miqoute, small and cute, with characteristics of a kitten (tail, ears, whiskers, fur) the cuteness would be overwhelming!
#9 Feb 13 2011 at 12:41 AM Rating: Excellent
*****
16,959 posts
I really, really dislike the Hyur female run animation.

But there's no way I'm starting over, again, again.

I originally had a male Hyur, then made a new character on a different account just to troll someone into playing.
It didn't end up working (getting the friend to play), but I somehow made the Hyur female my new main... Smiley: facepalm

Edited, Feb 12th 2011 11:42pm by Kirby
____________________________
MyAnimeList FFXIV Krystal Spoonless
#10 Feb 13 2011 at 12:51 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
Avatar
***
2,536 posts
Yeah, I don't like the female Hyur (which I play) running animation either. It looks like a school girl running and not a seasoned veteran of a thousand battles.

____________________________
FF11 Server: Caitsith
Kalyna (retired, 2008)
100 Goldsmith
75 Rng, Brd
Main/Acc
Exp/Hybrid
Str/Attk
Spam/Others
#11 Feb 13 2011 at 1:17 AM Rating: Excellent
*
56 posts
Kirby wrote:
I really, really dislike the Hyur female run animation.


It's almost as bad as FFX-2 Yuna.

I chose Wildwood Elezen because they had the best starting stats for a Fisherman. :P I kinda regret how I made him look. I see similar gray pointy hair and same face type on way too many other WW Elezen in game.
____________________________
[ffxisig]199910[/ffxisig]
#12 Feb 13 2011 at 2:44 AM Rating: Good
*
211 posts
Mithra/Miqo'te, because they are the most playful and teh cutest. ^.^

/chases a ball of yarn.

;3
____________________________
PvR fun!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KYqooGHd2g




#13 Feb 13 2011 at 7:41 AM Rating: Good
*
182 posts
I pick Midlander Hyur Male, manly because that's what I am IRL. ^_^ Also none of the other races were very appealing to me and I don't like playing female characters.
____________________________
?
#14 Feb 13 2011 at 11:55 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
220 posts
Shame I can't make a Roegadyn with a Lalafell riding on his shoulders, because I'll end up choosing between those 2.
____________________________
#15 Feb 13 2011 at 12:03 PM Rating: Good
*
236 posts
I was originally a highlander. I liked that they're brawnier. I mean, I'm playing a fantasy game, where I'm supposed to be an "adventurer"... the regular hyur male looks like a scrawny teenager compared to the highlanders - I want my adventurer to LOOK like a hero. That and they had good facial hair options (the regular looking beard, as opposed to the ridiculously thick beard available to regular hyur) but they're actual hair selection is pretty lame. I went with the one hair that didn't really have any braids and than found out there were literally tons of "me" running around Ul'Dah so I decided to roll with something different. I ended up going Elezen which was pretty much inevitable because I always went Elvaan in FFXI. Basically made a slightly more detailed version of what I rolled with in FFXI, which is slightly disappointing, but at least I like the appearance 100%. I wish the highlanders had as many hair options as the regular hyur did though.
____________________________

#16 Feb 13 2011 at 12:20 PM Rating: Good
***
1,313 posts
Quote:
At first I was a keeper of the moon Miqo'te. Then I realized everyone is a Miqo'te and they are mostly male IRL. I've always had kind of an aversion to playing the race that is mostly men playing females


If SE brought in male mithra/manthra/miqotes, a lot of us would have chosen the male counter part. Male races in every mmo I've played are either way too captain America looking or just act all dudebroretardo. There is a certain finesse exerted by mithra that I can't find from the other races, and that is why I picked it. The Roegadyn are actually quite cool this time around, but I can't see myself playing as a hulking giant. I hope that made sense, I just woke up and haven't had any coffee yet.
____________________________
Eithne Draocht
My IG: archaicmachinery - Friend me!
#17 Feb 13 2011 at 1:08 PM Rating: Excellent
**
660 posts
Personally I wasn't happy with the fact that they went with the same races from FFXI. It wouldn't have been so bad if they had just added even one race. Imagine if they threw in Viera, or my favorite Bangaa? I'd play the crap out of a Bangaa Gladiator or Lancer.

Instead I opted for Elv- I mean Elezen. Not too mundane but not too crazy.
____________________________


#18 Feb 13 2011 at 1:17 PM Rating: Excellent
*
182 posts
reptiletim wrote:
Personally I wasn't happy with the fact that they went with the same races from FFXI. It wouldn't have been so bad if they had just added even one race. Imagine if they threw in Viera, or my favorite Bangaa? I'd play the crap out of a Bangaa Gladiator or Lancer.

Instead I opted for Elv- I mean Elezen. Not too mundane but not too crazy.


Oh god yes! I would have loved it if they went with the world of Ivalice. That world was practically made for a MMO. FFXII was next SE's best MMO after FFXI.
____________________________
?
#19 Feb 13 2011 at 1:38 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
*
50 posts
I tried out all the female types, but went with Hyur. Yes, they have a somewhat ungainly looking run, but I think it is cute in its own awkward way. I see my character as a somewhat hapless mage, not a seasoned battle veteran, so it is fine with me! ;) On some level I see my character as an in-game avatar of myself, so I wanted a character that I could identify with. If Mi'qote weren't so popular though I probably would've chosen one, they have such cute hair options and Hyur female hair is the least cute of all the races IMHO. I think it is a good possibility that SE will someday release a hair salon/more hairstyles, though, albeit probably far in the future.
#20 Feb 13 2011 at 1:48 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
180 posts
I went with a male lalafell to play the opposite of what I played for so long in XI (elvaan.) I'm pretty happy with my choice since the emotes are so great, /doze while sitting and others, and its just fun to run around and play as a little guy.

Quote:
FFXII was next SE's best MMO after FFXI.


I agree with you Smiley: nod I thought XII was great and the closest thing we'd ever get to a single player XI. Every time I play it though I crave an auto-run button Smiley: glare

Edited, Feb 13th 2011 2:49pm by Libtech
____________________________
FFXI: PLD BST BRD RDM SAM PUP


#21 Feb 13 2011 at 2:36 PM Rating: Good
*
182 posts
I was hoping for new races. Even if they had introduced just one new race, I would have chosen it just because it's fresh and new. I mean, we've been hanging around all these FFXI races for the past ten years, don't you want something a little different?

Either way, I ended up with the same as I had in FFXI, Miqo'te, because I may as well play it as if my FFXI character had traveled into Eorzea or something.
#22 Feb 13 2011 at 2:55 PM Rating: Good
**
264 posts
I was hoping for playable Goblin race............ SHUT UP!!! I can dream damnit!

Ended up rollin Roeg, because its not as common but mostly because it was the closest to a monsterous race.
____________________________
I also want double eyepatches, to increase my pirate bravado.
#23 Feb 13 2011 at 4:13 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,569 posts
Rekia wrote:
At first I was a keeper of the moon Miqo'te. Then I realized everyone is a Miqo'te and they are mostly male IRL. I've always had kind of an aversion to playing the race that is mostly men playing females, so I rerolled human.
This just tells me SE should not have copped out on adding both genders for all their races in XIV.

As for me, I rolled dunesfolk lalafell during beta. It was basically a remake of my taru from FFXI, so that worked out. It was odd at first to see my character could reach above other characters' kneecaps, but I got used to it. >.>
____________________________
Products of boredom: 1 2 3 4 5
Besieged
Hopes for FFXIV: Fencer | Red Mage
#24 Feb 13 2011 at 5:55 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
626 posts
Quote:
I picked a Duskwight Elezen because it was the lesser of evils really. At first I was a keeper of the moon Miqo'te. Then I realized everyone is a Miqo'te and they are mostly male IRL. I've always had kind of an aversion to playing the race that is mostly men playing females, so I rerolled human. I hate how boring an average a human is. I want to be a monster or an animal or something, not what I already am IRL. I like cute small races, but the fact that Lalafel look like baby humans kind of creeps me out a little (their chubby little baby arms /shudder). And I don't like playing male characters if given the choice. So the only race left was Elezen. I'm not totally thrilled with how masculine they look, but I guess it's better than being a human.


thats kinda how i picked my characters race actually.
Humans are totally boring so i too like to play races that are demonic or animalistic but resemble humans. roegadynes look pretty cool but i have to think my character is physicly attractive for me to play it, so it was a toss up between a cliche miqote, and a male or female elezen.

one of my biggest pet peeves in MMOs is the blank smile people choose for their characters face, it isnt even realistic in video games in my opnion so miqote was out because all their faces were just too happy :(
female elezen was out because not having any long hairstyles or any makeup (duskwigt) on the face style i chose made her look homely and less visibly feminine.
so in the end i chose duskwigt elezen male, their gladiator spell casting animations are HORRENDOUS which is literally keeping me from touching gladiator ever again on this guy but he really was the lesser of five evils.
anyone else miss the Elvaan Black magic spell animations? looked so sick to me.
____________________________

#25 Feb 13 2011 at 7:11 PM Rating: Excellent
**
929 posts
As a girl, I wanted to play a female character. I love cats and wanted to make a Miqo'te, but I knew that every neko-fanboy and his dog would make a Miqo'te for eyecandy. So in beta I made both a female elezen and a hyur. I just could not get used to the elezen proportions. And as for Hyur, she looked alright, but when I moved her ... they have just a girly run. So in the end I went with a Miqo'te after all, colouring it grey with green eyes to match my r/l cat.
#26 Feb 13 2011 at 7:48 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
*
139 posts
Magnesium02 wrote:
So in the end I went with a Miqo'te after all, colouring it grey with green eyes to match my r/l cat.


Haha I made my Miqo'te grey with green eyes too because of one of my cats irl. My other cat is my character's last name, "Shade", so my character was modeled after my two cats. When I made a duskwight, I kept the grey color (and last name) and just made a sort of dark elf looking character.

I am also a girl, so I guess girls really like their cats :P
____________________________

#27 Feb 13 2011 at 8:12 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*
220 posts
Rekia wrote:


I am also a girl, so I guess girls really like their cats :P


Hey I'm a dude and I love my cat, hes fat with a small head lol.

I'm glad people are posting there reasons for picking there races, I'm enjoying the read.

[IMG]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a109/Pyriel_DD/n585815312_3980192_922.jpg[/IMG]

Edited, Feb 13th 2011 9:24pm by PyrielDD
____________________________
#28 Feb 13 2011 at 8:39 PM Rating: Good
Sage
*
139 posts
PyrielDD wrote:
Rekia wrote:


I am also a girl, so I guess girls really like their cats :P


Hey I'm a dude and I love my cat, hes fat with a small head lol.

I'm glad people are posting there reasons for picking there races, I'm enjoying the read.

[IMG]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a109/Pyriel_DD/n585815312_3980192_922.jpg[/IMG]

Edited, Feb 13th 2011 9:24pm by PyrielDD


Omg he is so cute. He looks like my fat cat "Shade". I will have to post a pic of my cats soon :P
____________________________

#29 Feb 13 2011 at 9:34 PM Rating: Decent
11 posts
He looks just like my fat cat Imhotep! Mine is a little smaller though but only a tad...
#30 Feb 13 2011 at 11:25 PM Rating: Good
**
660 posts
PyrielDD wrote:
Rekia wrote:


I am also a girl, so I guess girls really like their cats :P


Hey I'm a dude and I love my cat, hes fat with a small head lol.

I'm glad people are posting there reasons for picking there races, I'm enjoying the read.

[IMG]http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a109/Pyriel_DD/n585815312_3980192_922.jpg[/IMG]

Edited, Feb 13th 2011 9:24pm by PyrielDD


Whoa I don't think they have Miqo'te that large! That's one fat, happy cat!

I'd make a character resembling my cat but she'd just end up sleeping most of the time and wandering around the culinarian's guild when she got hungry.
____________________________


#31 Feb 14 2011 at 9:31 AM Rating: Excellent
Sage
*
139 posts
Here's a picture of my Kitties. Cats will sleep in the oddest of places.
____________________________

#32 Feb 14 2011 at 10:00 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*
220 posts
Rekia wrote:
Here's a picture of my Kitties. Cats will sleep in the oddest of places.


its a "Cat" astrophe!
____________________________
#33 Feb 14 2011 at 10:15 AM Rating: Good
**
401 posts
I went with highlander because they look the most badass (along with roes). They do seem to have the worst hair options but the one I have is probably the better of the bunch. First MMO where i've played a human race so I figured why the **** not? Also agreed about the highlander facial hair, they seem to have the best imo.
____________________________
FFXI: Server Ifrit
Licksthekitty - 68THF/41WHM/37NIN/30BLM/20COR Mithra Retired

WoW: Realm Darkspear
Claybosmash - 80 Orc Warrior Retired
Ipwnrice - 70 Undead Rogue Retired


#34 Feb 14 2011 at 3:50 PM Rating: Good
***
1,313 posts
Magnesium02 wrote:
As a girl, I wanted to play a female character. I love cats and wanted to make a Miqo'te, but I knew that every neko-fanboy and his dog would make a Miqo'te for eyecandy.


Trust me I'm no Neko-fanboy. If SE did a better job on the other races, I'd have picked something else. For some reason they seem to put far more effort into designing Mithras... I wonder why..
____________________________
Eithne Draocht
My IG: archaicmachinery - Friend me!
#35 Feb 14 2011 at 4:15 PM Rating: Decent
**
952 posts
Seriously OP just pick what fits your tastes better visually. In XI I was a Hume because well I dunno what the reason was, maybe stats.

I picked a female Elezen this time around because I couldn't stand the thought of staring at another Hume male *** for another couple of years.

Also this...

http://oi56.tinypic.com/2igymvs.jpg

giggity giggity
#36 Feb 14 2011 at 4:32 PM Rating: Excellent
****
9,526 posts
I originally was going to play Roe but.... yeah it just didn't suit me... and it seemed everyone else was lala or miquote... and I think elezen look weird.

So I chose hyur.

I don't regret it

even though the run IS terrible
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#37 Feb 14 2011 at 4:37 PM Rating: Good
Sage
*
139 posts
CupDeNoodles wrote:
Seriously OP just pick what fits your tastes better visually. In XI I was a Hume because well I dunno what the reason was, maybe stats.

I picked a female Elezen this time around because I couldn't stand the thought of staring at another Hume male *** for another couple of years.

Also this...

http://oi56.tinypic.com/2igymvs.jpg

giggity giggity


Ah yes, prime example of why some of us girls are a little creeped out by males that play females. Personally I tend to notice the world, the chat bars, my stats, the enemies and other things more than my character's ***. Maybe that's just me.

Edited, Feb 14th 2011 5:37pm by Rekia
____________________________

#38 Feb 14 2011 at 4:42 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,313 posts
Rekia wrote:
CupDeNoodles wrote:
Seriously OP just pick what fits your tastes better visually. In XI I was a Hume because well I dunno what the reason was, maybe stats.

I picked a female Elezen this time around because I couldn't stand the thought of staring at another Hume male *** for another couple of years.

Also this...

http://oi56.tinypic.com/2igymvs.jpg

giggity giggity


Ah yes, prime example of why some of us girls are a little creeped out by males that play females. Personally I tend to notice the world, the chat bars, my stats, the enemies and other things more than my character's ***. Maybe that's just me.

Edited, Feb 14th 2011 5:37pm by Rekia


You've no cause to be "creeped out". If your character's ***aesthetics weren't important to you, you wouldn't be having such a dilemma. In my opinion you're being a bit misogynistic in your views on why males choose female avatars. Unless they pretend to be female irl and seduce men in-game, there really isn't anything "creepy" about it.

*Maybe some guys just think women are rad and symbolize strength mixed with the right amount of grace?

Edited, Feb 14th 2011 5:43pm by Transmigration
____________________________
Eithne Draocht
My IG: archaicmachinery - Friend me!
#39 Feb 14 2011 at 5:05 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
*
139 posts
Transmigration wrote:
Rekia wrote:
CupDeNoodles wrote:
Seriously OP just pick what fits your tastes better visually. In XI I was a Hume because well I dunno what the reason was, maybe stats.

I picked a female Elezen this time around because I couldn't stand the thought of staring at another Hume male *** for another couple of years.

Also this...

http://oi56.tinypic.com/2igymvs.jpg

giggity giggity


Ah yes, prime example of why some of us girls are a little creeped out by males that play females. Personally I tend to notice the world, the chat bars, my stats, the enemies and other things more than my character's ***. Maybe that's just me.

Edited, Feb 14th 2011 5:37pm by Rekia


You've no cause to be "creeped out". If your character's ***aesthetics weren't important to you, you wouldn't be having such a dilemma. In my opinion you're being a bit misogynistic in your views on why males choose female avatars. Unless they pretend to be female irl and seduce men in-game, there really isn't anything "creepy" about it.

*Maybe some guys just think women are rad and symbolize strength mixed with the right amount of grace?

Edited, Feb 14th 2011 5:43pm by Transmigration


Haha I'm not naive enough to think that, but I can't be the only one who's seen tons and tons of threads on "why do you play a female character?" and I'm sure there's a lot of great reasons, like lore wise you might feel like a female caster makes more sense. But a lot of guys say, "Because if I'm doing to stare at an *** all day, it might as well be hot." Surely I'm not the only one who sees that response all the time?

I'm don't mean to be rude, so I'm sorry if I caused offense. I'm still traumatized about the time I clicked over to a Mithra fan site :| Ah and the Mass Effect 2 fan site I went to once. The things I saw there... they can never be unseen.

And of course aesthetics are important to me. I'm a girl, I like to wear pretty dresses and do my hair and makeup in real life, so I like my in game characters to wear nice pretty armor too. But I don't really feel the urge to represent myself in game as a hot guy just so I can stare at a hot guy all day.

I don't really care what a person plays honestly :P I was mostly joking about being creeped out.
____________________________

#40 Feb 14 2011 at 5:14 PM Rating: Good
*
236 posts
Rekia wrote:
Transmigration wrote:
Rekia wrote:
CupDeNoodles wrote:
Seriously OP just pick what fits your tastes better visually. In XI I was a Hume because well I dunno what the reason was, maybe stats.

I picked a female Elezen this time around because I couldn't stand the thought of staring at another Hume male *** for another couple of years.

Also this...

http://oi56.tinypic.com/2igymvs.jpg

giggity giggity


Ah yes, prime example of why some of us girls are a little creeped out by males that play females. Personally I tend to notice the world, the chat bars, my stats, the enemies and other things more than my character's ***. Maybe that's just me.

Edited, Feb 14th 2011 5:37pm by Rekia


You've no cause to be "creeped out". If your character's ***aesthetics weren't important to you, you wouldn't be having such a dilemma. In my opinion you're being a bit misogynistic in your views on why males choose female avatars. Unless they pretend to be female irl and seduce men in-game, there really isn't anything "creepy" about it.

*Maybe some guys just think women are rad and symbolize strength mixed with the right amount of grace?

Edited, Feb 14th 2011 5:43pm by Transmigration


Haha I'm not naive enough to think that, but I can't be the only one who's seen tons and tons of threads on "why do you play a female character?" and I'm sure there's a lot of great reasons, like lore wise you might feel like a female caster makes more sense. But a lot of guys say, "Because if I'm doing to stare at an *** all day, it might as well be hot." Surely I'm not the only one who sees that response all the time?

I'm don't mean to be rude, so I'm sorry if I caused offense. I'm still traumatized about the time I clicked over to a Mithra fan site :| Ah and the Mass Effect 2 fan site I went to once. The things I saw there... they can never be unseen.

And of course aesthetics are important to me. I'm a girl, I like to wear pretty dresses and do my hair and makeup in real life, so I like my in game characters to wear nice pretty armor too. But I don't really feel the urge to represent myself in game as a hot guy just so I can stare at a hot guy all day.

I don't really care what a person plays honestly :P I was mostly joking about being creeped out.



While I'm sure some of us guys DO play female characters literally because they enjoy checking out the avatars body, I would be willing to bet that the fair majority of responses you've seen saying "if I'm going to stare at an *** all day it had better be hot" are just meant to be humorous. Guys joke around like that. I play college hockey and while there are some genuine jerkoffs on my team, I also have a lot of good friends on it who I know aren't scumbags and treat woman well/have serious girlfriends that they're great to, but we still joke about that kind of crap in the lockerroom non-stop; I know it SOUNDS sexist and if a girl were to walk in on nearly ANY of our lockerroom convos she'd be TOTALLY disgusted by most of us, but just because we joke around about it, doesn't mean most of us actually believe the things we say... I think that's the difference between it being creepy and innocent. Sure, some of the guys are just a-holes who really look at women the way they talk about them, but I'd say at least half of us are good guys even though we joke that way. Just an anecdote in case you're afraid as many guys as respond with *** jokes are actually as creepy as they may sound.
____________________________

#41 Feb 14 2011 at 9:10 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,313 posts
No offense taken Rekia.

Quote:
But a lot of guys say, "Because if I'm doing to stare at an *** all day, it might as well be hot." Surely I'm not the only one who sees that response all the time?


That response is a cover up to make them feel manly. Lol.
____________________________
Eithne Draocht
My IG: archaicmachinery - Friend me!
#42 Feb 14 2011 at 11:21 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
220 posts
To be honost I usually make male characters, but when I do make female characters its usually as an aesthetic choice. Sometimes I want to make the typical old man wizard while other times I see my character as a fiery haired sorceress. In the same game they would both probaly be the same class "mage or something" but its just the matter of how I see that character.

Furthermore when I make a female character I'm not trying to create the perfect image of beauty for myself I simply try to recreate the image I have in my head based on the options they give me, and if I cant get close enough to what I picture than I'll pick whatever race has the options to make it work.

But to each there own, "looking at my characters ***" doesn't work for me all I see is pixels, maybe I should sit farther away from my monitor :P
____________________________
#43 Feb 15 2011 at 12:15 AM Rating: Good
29 posts
I did Taru in XI and i loved it. But i couldn't bring myself to do it in XIV lol. 1 reason is, to me and to my boy friend, they look like kids and he didn't want to feel like a pediphile (I can't spell) lol. I did try a Hyur female but i couldn't seem to get used to her at all. After lvling my Taru i discovered i really liked Mithra (made a mule and did lvl it up) so i made one of those and liked it. Then i made and Elvaan female (again i can't spell thier new names sorry about that lol). I did like my Elvaan but she was too tall ; ;. I let my man help me choose since we will be playing together at some point lol. He liked the Elvaan and of course i liked the mithra more lol. So Mithra is what i am and i love it :). Didn't really care that most people went with it. It is what i felt most comfy on :).

Sorry for the wall lol. On the note of cats I have 2 One is a grey Torti and the other is a black and white :). we need a cat thread so we can share funny stories about our cats lol.
____________________________


#44 Feb 15 2011 at 12:32 AM Rating: Good
Sage
*
139 posts
Kindredsouls wrote:
I did Taru in XI and i loved it. But i couldn't bring myself to do it in XIV lol. 1 reason is, to me and to my boy friend, they look like kids and he didn't want to feel like a pediphile (I can't spell) lol. I did try a Hyur female but i couldn't seem to get used to her at all. After lvling my Taru i discovered i really liked Mithra (made a mule and did lvl it up) so i made one of those and liked it. Then i made and Elvaan female (again i can't spell thier new names sorry about that lol). I did like my Elvaan but she was too tall ; ;. I let my man help me choose since we will be playing together at some point lol. He liked the Elvaan and of course i liked the mithra more lol. So Mithra is what i am and i love it :). Didn't really care that most people went with it. It is what i felt most comfy on :).

Sorry for the wall lol. On the note of cats I have 2 One is a grey Torti and the other is a black and white :). we need a cat thread so we can share funny stories about our cats lol.


I made my Elezen the shortest possible option, and it doesn't feel so bad actually. The first time I picked normal size, walked around a little until I couldn't stand it anymore and remade my character short. I felt so ungainly being taller than everyone.

And yes, we should start a cat thread, with pictures!
____________________________

#45 Feb 15 2011 at 1:43 AM Rating: Good
**
952 posts
Rekia wrote:
CupDeNoodles wrote:
Seriously OP just pick what fits your tastes better visually. In XI I was a Hume because well I dunno what the reason was, maybe stats.

I picked a female Elezen this time around because I couldn't stand the thought of staring at another Hume male *** for another couple of years.

Also this...

http://oi56.tinypic.com/2igymvs.jpg

giggity giggity


Ah yes, prime example of why some of us girls are a little creeped out by males that play females. Personally I tend to notice the world, the chat bars, my stats, the enemies and other things more than my character's ***. Maybe that's just me.

Edited, Feb 14th 2011 5:37pm by Rekia


I'm a strait guy who likes the way a female body looks. I see nothing creepy about that. Could I be considered a pervert? I suppose I could but I couldn't really care less. :P

In Fable I also made female characters, the very short time I played World of Warcraft I also played as a female character.

Now a guy going around as a female character trying to hit on other guys is creepy. Unless of course that person always dreamed of being a pretty girl. lol

Edited, Feb 15th 2011 2:44am by CupDeNoodles
#46 Feb 15 2011 at 5:33 AM Rating: Good
Rekia wrote:
At first I was a keeper of the moon Miqo'te. Then I realized everyone is a Miqo'te and they are mostly male IRL. I've always had kind of an aversion to playing the race that is mostly men playing females, so I rerolled human.


I played a Miqo'te for 2 months or so and then one day realized that 80% of people I knew was a Miqo'te (and all of them were guys as well) so I made a Hyur female (as I am one in real life).
Just like some other people have already said in this thread, I want my avatar to represent me so I wouldn't be able to play a male character.
I think hyurs are better looking in 14 than what they were in 11 - however I played hume in 11 as well.
I realize hyur females run like retards but now that I have played my character for a while, I actually really like it, it makes me laugh every time!
____________________________

#47 Feb 15 2011 at 12:27 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
Avatar
*
73 posts
First of all, I can't quite believe that nobody has mentioned what im about to mention and it kind of saddens me. I picked a Highland Hyur because the body type looked the most like mine in RL (ok, ok, im not nearly as "ripped" or tall as that, but close enough) Furthermore the reason I decided to stay human is because SE finally gave me the option to be a big, black man, which is exactly what I am in RL. A linkshell mate recently made the ridiculously narrow-minded statement: "Black people don't play MMO's. That's a fact!" Well guess what pal, you are wrong. The fact that I had no choice to play a dark skinned character in FFXI peeved me to no end. So when I saw the character customization in FFXIV, I was ecstatic. Anyhoo this is the reason why I chose Highland Hyur. I would be curious to hear if any other black players out there had similar reasons for choosing their characters.
____________________________




#48 Feb 15 2011 at 1:03 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
1,707 posts
moemoe wrote:
First of all, I can't quite believe that nobody has mentioned what im about to mention and it kind of saddens me. I picked a Highland Hyur because the body type looked the most like mine in RL (ok, ok, im not nearly as "ripped" or tall as that, but close enough) Furthermore the reason I decided to stay human is because SE finally gave me the option to be a big, black man, which is exactly what I am in RL. A linkshell mate recently made the ridiculously narrow-minded statement: "Black people don't play MMO's. That's a fact!" Well guess what pal, you are wrong. The fact that I had no choice to play a dark skinned character in FFXI peeved me to no end. So when I saw the character customization in FFXIV, I was ecstatic. Anyhoo this is the reason why I chose Highland Hyur. I would be curious to hear if any other black players out there had similar reasons for choosing their characters.


I tried, but it was hard finding a race that accurately portyayed a male super model who can bench press 450 lbs, run a sub 4.4 forty, snipe a fly from 1000 yards, and finish an ironman in less than 5 hours.

I settled for an old, but strong and wise look.
#49 Feb 15 2011 at 4:10 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
812 posts
Mithsavvy wrote:

I tried, but it was hard finding a race that accurately portyayed a male super model who can bench press 450 lbs, run a sub 4.4 forty, snipe a fly from 1000 yards, and finish an ironman in less than 5 hours.

I settled for an old, but strong and wise look.

"I don't always drink beer, but when I do I drink dos XX" :P
____________________________
Abaddon Active Player Roster
- All your Fabul Sever are belong to us! -


#50 Feb 15 2011 at 9:58 PM Rating: Good
***
1,313 posts
moemoe wrote:
First of all, I can't quite believe that nobody has mentioned what im about to mention and it kind of saddens me. I picked a Highland Hyur because the body type looked the most like mine in RL (ok, ok, im not nearly as "ripped" or tall as that, but close enough) Furthermore the reason I decided to stay human is because SE finally gave me the option to be a big, black man, which is exactly what I am in RL. A linkshell mate recently made the ridiculously narrow-minded statement: "Black people don't play MMO's. That's a fact!" Well guess what pal, you are wrong. The fact that I had no choice to play a dark skinned character in FFXI peeved me to no end. So when I saw the character customization in FFXIV, I was ecstatic. Anyhoo this is the reason why I chose Highland Hyur. I would be curious to hear if any other black players out there had similar reasons for choosing their characters.


My friend Kahim played FFXI for years. People were always surprised. Actually my friend Trisek from FFXI was black too. I guess it's just not as common, but indeed as your pointed out black people do in fact play mmos. I am not black, just your token white kid talking about the black guys he knows.
____________________________
Eithne Draocht
My IG: archaicmachinery - Friend me!
#51 Feb 15 2011 at 11:01 PM Rating: Good
*
236 posts
When XI first came out I was... 16? I worked in an organic supermarket and one of the other cashiers was a 17 year old black kid named Frank who was very quiet and very nice. Over the course of months we got friendlier and eventually one night I mentioned FFXI and he was like **********, I play that too". Then we proceeded to argue almost anytime we were on the same shift and not busy over whose character could kick the other's ***, my SAM or his DRK.

Also, one of the first and oldest friends I made in XI was a guy who I ended up knowing as Mike instead of by his character name who was also black. We were friends for nearly 5 years in the game world and even exchanged emails and random stories outside of the game frequently. I also knew two brothers who were hispanic that I was friends with for an equally long time.
____________________________

« Previous 1 2
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 17 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (17)