Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
This Forum is Read Only

Hard Work Lost? The Potential Removal of Physical Levels Follow

#1 Feb 17 2011 at 5:39 PM Rating: Decent
**
793 posts
Perhaps I misunderstood it when I read it, but it seems to me that the devs are now thinking of removing the physical level system all together. I understand their arguments for it, and they do make a good bit of sense to me. My concern is more about losing all of the hours and hard work I've put into my physical leveling...

Allow me to elaborate. In XI we had job levels and that was it. Aside from subjobs and merits (which came later), there was no built-in incentive to level another class to a high level. Yes, I understand that having more jobs available made you more flexible and thus more desireable for different activities, but it wasn't a necessity for playing the game.

Until this point in XIV it has been different. If you decided to be a jack of all trades and level multiple classes, there was always this overarching progress to be made in terms of physical level. One major benefit to leveling multiple jobs was that you could cap your attributes if you decided to pick up something new. I know many people that have been leveling multiple classes in an effort to raise their physical level and in turn ensure their attributes *could* always be capped (based on reallocation). I myself leveled alchemy to 24 solely because it was a cost/time efficient way for me to boost my physical level.

So what happens if they remove this system? Well, every physical level you gained is now gone. Finito. The only thing that remains are your class levels, which may not be all that high if you were leveling many jobs. In a lot of ways, removing physical level is like deleting character progress. In his first letter YP addressed the concerns about one player on the issue of character level-resets, and promised it would never happen. I find it odd that now he is suggesting doing something that is akin to deleting a major part of a player's progress.

Is anyone upset about the prospect of losing their levels?
____________________________
I might be an onion thief, but I'm still a thief.™





#2 Feb 17 2011 at 5:41 PM Rating: Good
My physical level required no -hard work-. Let's face it, it is way to easy to get it to 50.

Honestly, how many of you out there have Phy Lv50 and are still 10-20 ranks away from seeing Rank 50?
____________________________
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
Data Center: Primal; Server: Ultros; Free Company: The Kraken Club; Grand Company: The Maelstrom; Chocobo: Kweh
#3 Feb 17 2011 at 5:44 PM Rating: Decent
**
793 posts
Quote:
My physical level required no -hard work-. Let's face it, it is way to easy to get it to 50.


I guess what one considers to be difficult is relative... but the point remains that regardless of whether or not you found it easy or hard to get to, say phys 50, you still face losing progress.
____________________________
I might be an onion thief, but I'm still a thief.™





#4 Feb 17 2011 at 5:49 PM Rating: Good
*
236 posts
I haven't put any work into my physical level and saying YOU did is just feeling sorry for yourself. Everything you do in this game earns EXP for your physical level. By leveling a job, leveling another to access cross-class abilities, working on a craft to do repairs or earn money... all of it levels your physical level. Even if you did excess leveling on jobs you weren't interested in just to get EXP for your physical level, you still got the benefit of those jobs being leveled so you can't complain.
____________________________

#5 Feb 17 2011 at 5:50 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
Onionthiefx wrote:
Quote:
My physical level required no -hard work-. Let's face it, it is way to easy to get it to 50.


I guess what one considers to be difficult is relative... but the point remains that regardless of whether or not you found it easy or hard to get to, say phys 50, you still face losing progress.


Relative to what exactly? most people you ask will have to check to see what Physical Level they are because its more like a "side" thing that happens as you play the game...I say away with it if it'll make the game better...that's still to be seen.
____________________________
MUTED
#6 Feb 17 2011 at 5:51 PM Rating: Decent
*
236 posts
Onionthiefx wrote:
Quote:
My physical level required no -hard work-. Let's face it, it is way to easy to get it to 50.


I guess what one considers to be difficult is relative... but the point remains that regardless of whether or not you found it easy or hard to get to, say phys 50, you still face losing progress.



I would gladly start at zero in order for the game to get better. Ok, I'm not that far along you may say, and that's a fair assessment, but I know how you may feel being at a higher level and I would gladly have done the same with my multiple 75s in FFXI years ago if it was the difference between having a better game. I am in favor of BIG changes to the leveling, gear and battle systems in this game, even if it erases all of my progress. Even if I have to start over from scratch and recreate my character.
____________________________

#7 Feb 17 2011 at 5:52 PM Rating: Decent
**
445 posts
I am against removal of physcial level.
Not only it greatly reduce the attraction to lvl other class (be benifit by the high physical lvl,or actually lvling physical lvl), remove part of charater's progress, and it would make a vet adventurer excatly same as a new adventuer on a new job, which is totally illogical.

Edited, Feb 17th 2011 3:54pm by timmyofalex
____________________________
Timfung (Alexander) 75WHM72RDM46PUP Cooking81 (retired)

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/rc/character/status?cicuid=1662475
#8 Feb 17 2011 at 5:54 PM Rating: Good
Sage
*
139 posts
I haven't really ever paid much attention to my physical level either. It's my job levels I care about. The physical level thing is just a byproduct of leveling jobs. It wouldn't really affect me if they did away with it, and I do believe the current system needs change.

edit: wanted to reply to this:

timmyofalex wrote:
I am against removal of physcial level.
Not only it greatly reduce the attraction to lvl other class (be benifit by the high physical lvl,or actually lvling physical lvl), remove part of charater's progress, and it would make a vet adventurer excatly same as a new adventuer on a new job, which is totally illogical.

Edited, Feb 17th 2011 3:54pm by timmyofalex


I don't see that as a bad thing. Having people be low level again allows the low levels people to group with. When I played FFXI was back in 2004, so I'm sure a lot of things have changed, but it was really hard to find a low level group if you didn't have an appropriate subjob already. People would always look first for someone that had a complimenting subjob (such as BLM/WHM), then if that was not found, they would search for people with ANY subjob, and then on the rare occasion that could not be found, they would settle for a noob with no subjob.

Also the veteran player starting a new job would have the means to get better gear and they would have experienced the game already. So just right there they would be better off than the new player.

Edited, Feb 17th 2011 7:00pm by Rekia
____________________________

#9 Feb 17 2011 at 5:58 PM Rating: Good
*
236 posts
timmyofalex wrote:
I am against removal of physcial level.
Not only it greatly reduce the attraction to lvl other class (be benifit by the high physical lvl,or actually lvling physical lvl), remove part of charater's progress, and it would make a vet adventurer excatly same as a new adventuer on a new job, which is totally illogical.

Edited, Feb 17th 2011 3:54pm by timmyofalex


Except for access to cross class skills. Ok, yes, your skill bar, for the first couple of levels (what is that, 10 minutes of soloing?) won't have room to equip much, but very shortly into soloing, with very little effort, a Vet adventurer on Archer could have access to a cure and gravity, for example while a brand new adventurer starting out on Archer will not have those abilities until they go level THM to the necessary level.
____________________________

#10 Feb 17 2011 at 5:58 PM Rating: Decent
****
9,526 posts
I voted to keep the system the same... but if they did do away with it I would not feel like I had wasted my time... I will still be able to fish grade 4 nodes and use alchemy make crystals from what I fish up.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#11 Feb 17 2011 at 5:59 PM Rating: Good
Grand Master Alchemist StateAlchemist2 wrote:
Honestly, how many of you out there have Phy Lv50 and are still 10-20 ranks away from seeing Rank 50?


Me. Its easy if you play a lot of other classes as i did and i only played that many for the phys exp... and now the effort will be gone...

I just hope they make the change AFTER i hit rank 50 so it doesnt affect me anymore, but it sucks. If it wasnt there from the beginning it wouldnt be a problem, but its time and effort you did for nothing.
#12 Feb 17 2011 at 6:03 PM Rating: Good
***
1,636 posts
Physical level always felt like a side effect to me. I'm plenty ok with them either giving static stats, or attaching stat points to class rank, and not physical level.
____________________________


#13 Feb 17 2011 at 6:08 PM Rating: Good
**
845 posts
Onionthiefx wrote:
Perhaps I misunderstood it when I read it, but it seems to me that the devs are now thinking of removing the physical level system all together. I understand their arguments for it, and they do make a good bit of sense to me. My concern is more about losing all of the hours and hard work I've put into my physical leveling...

Allow me to elaborate. In XI we had job levels and that was it. Aside from subjobs and merits (which came later), there was no built-in incentive to level another class to a high level. Yes, I understand that having more jobs available made you more flexible and thus more desireable for different activities, but it wasn't a necessity for playing the game.

Until this point in XIV it has been different. If you decided to be a jack of all trades and level multiple classes, there was always this overarching progress to be made in terms of physical level. One major benefit to leveling multiple jobs was that you could cap your attributes if you decided to pick up something new. I know many people that have been leveling multiple classes in an effort to raise their physical level and in turn ensure their attributes *could* always be capped (based on reallocation). I myself leveled alchemy to 24 solely because it was a cost/time efficient way for me to boost my physical level.

So what happens if they remove this system? Well, every physical level you gained is now gone. Finito. The only thing that remains are your class levels, which may not be all that high if you were leveling many jobs. In a lot of ways, removing physical level is like deleting character progress. In his first letter YP addressed the concerns about one player on the issue of character level-resets, and promised it would never happen. I find it odd that now he is suggesting doing something that is akin to deleting a major part of a player's progress.

Is anyone upset about the prospect of losing their levels?


People say you didnt work for your physical level. Isn't it awsome to know other people know what is defined as work in your life more than you do?

For anyone saying he didnt work for his physical level I would say this to you, did you "work" for your class rank? I guess it depends on what you consider work. I have all 7 of the meaningful crafting jobs at R24-26 did I work for that? I mean all I did was watch several movies or TV shows while spamming the standard key. I have all the DoW classes at 25-37 did I actually work for that? All i did was faceroll a few keys over and over and over. Before you get high and mighty about what you consider as "worked for" in FFXIV just remember it all came pretty easily. If this man considers his journey to physical rank 50 work then it was work. Dont treat him like **** because you dont consider it work.

My opinion on the matter is SE gave us a faulty system we all leveled up using it and if they want to take my physical level progress away I would like to be compensated for it with extra SP for the jobs of my choice.
____________________________

#14 Feb 17 2011 at 6:12 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,226 posts
No.

The only thing more prevalent in FFXIV than gil is EXP. Attributes aren't going to put you leagues ahead of any other player, anyway, since they are poorly balanced. All you need is a good weapon for your level and as much STR as you can handle. Any overachieving (crafting specifically EXP) to boost your attributes is wasted time, since the party dynamic depends on a cluster@#%^. Sub-optimal players (not in an elitist sense, but to describe someone whose rank is higher than their attributes can cap) blend into that.

This isn't like FFXI where an incompetent or under-equipped party member dragged the whole group down. For one, the defective accuracy system in FFXIV caps everyone's potential output at mediocre-on-a-good-day. Furthermore, the "flexibility" of the armory system has watered down the effect of all the attribute so that no one can create SUPERCLASS; unfortunately, this means players have to stack every point into one stat to make a difference. Some attributes make no measurable change at all. The result is not a diverse band of adventurers, but a murky stew of STR hogs, MND junkies, INT whores and VIT gluttons.

I think I said this before, but no matter how keen you are to select the right armor or accessories, or how cautiously you spend your attribute points, you are going to suck. Whether you suck less than someone or more than someone else, the fact remains: you suck. Everyone sucks. There is no identifiable sign of excellence in this game.

But to get back to the point at hand: it's better SE does away with the physical level and bind stat growth to the class and the rank of the class, like most JRPGs. They can, of course, keep the armory system and ability bars. The first complaint to arise out of this is "but I want to be a jack-of-all-trades kind of character!" Suppose you want to be a mystic knight, or a swordmage or a long-range viking--couldn't SE just make a set of classes that play into these crossover roles?

Also, shut up, Onion.

Addendum: on re-reading my first paragraph, sounded a little silly. To clarify: managing your attributes in a meaningful way won't put you ahead of anyone else. Therefore, stack STR/INT as these are the only proven ways to increase damage.

Edited, Feb 17th 2011 7:14pm by Almalexia
____________________________
w(°o°)w
#15 Feb 17 2011 at 6:12 PM Rating: Good
***
3,178 posts
timmyofalex wrote:
I am against removal of physcial level...it would make a vet adventurer excatly same as a new adventuer on a new job...


True.

timmyofalex wrote:
which is totally illogical.[/b]


I did think that logically this was am improvement as well. The list of reasons why it is not working out is compelling though. Surprised they are so quick to scrap a system that is only marginally problematic.

This may be a case where treating the symptoms is superior.

I am debating this very concept. In FFXI I had a great time leveling each job from 1 all over again. I don't think I will mind either way.
#16 Feb 17 2011 at 6:12 PM Rating: Decent
*
236 posts
It amazes me how much new gamers whine about time. Listen, I FULLY understand not having the ample time required to spend 12 hours in a group trying to achieve a specific portion of a games content, but I can't believe what it seems to me people want MMOs to become. Everybody wants to get to "the end" quickly. Nobody "has time" to experience an MMO the way it's meant to be played. It's about community. It's about an experience - a journey. The game is supposed to last. If losing all the "hard work" you put into achieving physical level 50 (even though you'll still have all the ranks you earned on every other class), is so bad than I feel you're missing much of the point of playing an MMO. What's the rush to be at "end game"? Slow down, explore, take in the experience. Make friends. I talk to nearly every NPC I come across because I want as much lore and immersion as possible. I'm not interested in blitzing my way to rank 50, nor would I mind at all if my physical rank was erased, or indeed ALL of my ranks were erased, and I had to start from scratch. I want a battle and job system that feels right.

I'll start over 20 times between now and the day they achieve that, as long as I feel that they're getting closer. Throw in some content and more lore and story for me to explore and I couldn't be happier. Why play on online game that has no definitive end if you're going to rush through it? The allure of MMOs for me is the fact that I have months and years to play them. What's the big deal if you get set back a little bit while the game is still in free to play mode, undergoing numerous adjustments in the hopes of getting it RIGHT so that there IS a game to play a year from now? I don't see how time became so precious for everyone. Like I said, I understand wanting to be able to log-in for just an hour or two here and there and actually achieve things, hence being able to solo and all that, but being able to achieve things with limited time doesn't mean you need to be able to "reach the end" quickly. In my opinion, the biggest reason I haven't been able to enjoy an MMO experience the way I enjoyed FFXI in '03-'05 (I played til '08, but the best years were the first few) is because of the quality of other people playing MMOs with me. When I first played FFXI people were in it to experience it, not to just blitz to 75 and be "elite".
____________________________

#17 Feb 17 2011 at 6:14 PM Rating: Default
Well at the moment I am Physical Level 45, and in all honesty it really makes no difference to me. I would still stat myself the same, the only difference is, if they change it to be class based point allotment, I would actually be interested in leveling a DoW, instead of sticking to DoM (because I refuse to kill my ALC biased stat allotment).
____________________________
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
Data Center: Primal; Server: Ultros; Free Company: The Kraken Club; Grand Company: The Maelstrom; Chocobo: Kweh
#18 Feb 17 2011 at 6:16 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
179 posts
I have quit playing while they implement all of these changes. I do not want to work hard for something and spend a lot of my time if things are going to be drastically changed, nerfed or even removed altogether.

Sorry if that came out negatively, I really do like this game and have made some great friends while playing it. I just do not want my accomplishments to be erased.
____________________________
FFXIV: Tebhi Liontamer 37 Elezen Marauder Besaid
FFXI: Luk 75 Hume Beastmaster Gilgamesh / Tehbst 85 Taru Beastmaster Ifrit
#19 Feb 17 2011 at 6:17 PM Rating: Good
***
3,530 posts
Onionthiefx wrote:

Is anyone upset about the prospect of losing their levels?


No, since it's not like you ever chose to gain one or the other. Just by getting a few classes to 30, a person is necessarily capped physical level.

You're not losing anything; physical levels are basically automatic.
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#20 Feb 17 2011 at 6:26 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
164 posts
i agree with people that don't really care about their physical levels and would do away with them for the sake of making the game better, but people below physical level 40 stop posting and saying that it is just a 'side thing' or it isn't very hard because well, what would you know?

most of my friends still make fun of me because im not pl50 yet XD

i really enjoyed having something special because of the amount of time i put into the game, other than a bunch of low lvl jobs.

i say they attach option b of that question to the current phys lvls we have now, maybe with played down numbers. but there is no reason we should lose what we worked for. we've already argued this pretty heavily in another thread.

this game is really inevitably going to become ffxi2...
____________________________


#21 Feb 17 2011 at 6:28 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,214 posts
Yeah, I don't know if I really care. It would be nice to get some sort of buff for having leveled another job (e.g. ff11) Or, if they did make the attributes less influencial, however, I could see some serious problems with that and hp/mp...

I don't know, I think they got themselves in a right ole' pickle, considering it's not bad at 50, but if the level cap were upped to 75, r50s suddenly get a massive boost, and if it's upped to 100, well then it can just get down right silly.
#22 Feb 17 2011 at 6:33 PM Rating: Decent
Sage
*
139 posts
MCraine wrote:
Slow down, explore, take in the experience. Make friends. I talk to nearly every NPC I come across because I want as much lore and immersion as possible. I'm not interested in blitzing my way to rank 50, nor would I mind at all if my physical rank was erased, or indeed ALL of my ranks were erased, and I had to start from scratch. I want a battle and job system that feels right.


At first I thought you myself, "I completely agree. I wouldn't mind losing all my ranks and physical level as long as the experience to regain them was fun." And then I had a sudden panic attack and thought to myself, "Please for the love of my sanity, don't let them take my crafting ranks." Which is kind of sad since my highest crafting rank is like 17 I think. :P And I'm mostly just joking. I totally agree that the journey to the end game should be just as important and enjoyable.

Lukky wrote:
I have quit playing while they implement all of these changes. I do not want to work hard for something and spend a lot of my time if things are going to be drastically changed, nerfed or even removed altogether.

Sorry if that came out negatively, I really do like this game and have made some great friends while playing it. I just do not want my accomplishments to be erased.


Also I just wanted to remind people that they aren't going to lose their characters entirely. You are just coming off as over dramatic, not negative, really. Don't forget Yoshida's letter:

Quote:
You expressed concern over whether one of the four keywords I introduced at the beginning of the year, namely reboot, meant that we would be wiping character data. I apologize for any confusion that this choice of terminology may have caused, but rest assured that character data will not be wiped.

This decision was in no way influenced by your letter, but is something that I have been adamant about from the onset. As a personal policy, I would simply never allow it.

Our characters are us, complex collections of memories and emotions, and nobody has the right to take them away from us.


Edit: Don't you hate when right after you post, you see that post that really ignites a flame in your heart? (whether it be for good or for bad...)

I just had to reply to:

TempLoop wrote:
i agree with people that don't really care about their physical levels and would do away with them for the sake of making the game better, but people below physical level 40 stop posting and saying that it is just a 'side thing' or it isn't very hard because well, what would you know?


Because my physical level is 32 and not 40+ I have no idea what I'm talking about? Obviously within those last 8 ranks I will get some kind of magical insight that will change my view on the matter? I mean really? I guess I'll go level up alchemy a little like I had planned and then come back here and see if I still feel the same...

Edited, Feb 17th 2011 7:37pm by Rekia
____________________________

#23 Feb 17 2011 at 6:39 PM Rating: Decent
**
429 posts
Hard work in what way? There was nothing extra you had to do while ranking up your classes in order to also rank up your physical level. It's basically a summary of your work that sits on top of your class levels.
#24 Feb 17 2011 at 6:40 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
179 posts
Rekia wrote:
Lukky wrote:
I have quit playing while they implement all of these changes. I do not want to work hard for something and spend a lot of my time if things are going to be drastically changed, nerfed or even removed altogether.

Sorry if that came out negatively, I really do like this game and have made some great friends while playing it. I just do not want my accomplishments to be erased.


Also I just wanted to remind people that they aren't going to lose their characters entirely. You are just coming off as over dramatic, not negative, really. Don't forget Yoshida's letter:


I just want to point out that there will be additional changes that could affect much more than just physical xp, but you're right, there will not be a wipe.
____________________________
FFXIV: Tebhi Liontamer 37 Elezen Marauder Besaid
FFXI: Luk 75 Hume Beastmaster Gilgamesh / Tehbst 85 Taru Beastmaster Ifrit
#25 Feb 17 2011 at 6:48 PM Rating: Good
**
800 posts
Physical levels didn't mean much anyways. At best they let you rank up new classes with slightly more effectiveness at a high physical level than a low one. But really, they were pointless. Unless you only ranked up one class, you'd have phys. 50 before you get rank 50, so it's not like having a high physical level helps in rank-cap content. Stats outside of VIT for HP have little noticeable effect on performance, which SE is aware of.

The physical level system just wasn't thought out very well. Trying to salvage it may only be putting in roadblocks for future rank cap increases, new classes, or class adjustments. If scrapping it would give more breathing room for the Devs, then I don't really consider it a big loss.

Sure, it was fun to see your level increase to show your combined effort in ranking up multiple classes. But it really didn't serve much practical purpose.
#26 Feb 17 2011 at 7:25 PM Rating: Decent
34 posts
Grand Master Alchemist StateAlchemist2 wrote:
My physical level required no -hard work-. Let's face it, it is way to easy to get it to 50.

Honestly, how many of you out there have Phy Lv50 and are still 10-20 ranks away from seeing Rank 50?


Another great post my friend!

We are so much alike XD !!!

(Leftovers from valentine love)

FF Fanboy Bolt~~~

#27 Feb 17 2011 at 7:53 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
200 posts
The hard work I spent was leveling my classes, particularly my main. Physical xp is a bonus to make leveling other jobs easier, which I could care less about. I would rather see people earn their 50's than an entire server of people with capped jobs because the "skill" was nerfed due to having a 50 physical cap. Do away with it and I won't lose any sleep.
#28 Feb 17 2011 at 9:03 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
38 posts
I hope they do get rid of physical level as it hampers my abilities to be great at very class. Now that I have a rank 50 class I am levelling all other classes at the same time. As my R50 is MRD I had loads of points pumped into STR, DEX and VIT but now that I also have mage classes to level I am having to distribute my points more evenly but now I can never excel at that class. Also if I need to switch back to my MRD for NM's or something I am gimped because I have put points into INT,MND and Piety.

Add the fact that crafting is also tied to the stats and then you are gimped at that too unless it's a craft that goes with my melee build.

Physical level requires no effort to achieve, the average person will hit it well before they get rank 50 in a particular class.

So for me I hope they do get rid and then make stats static and tied to a class. Then they can add a kind of merit point system to add to those stats for a bit of customisation. At least that way I can be a great CON and switch to being a great MRD 5 mins later if I want to.
____________________________

#29 Feb 17 2011 at 9:27 PM Rating: Good
*
63 posts
From the first stage of beta testing i've always thought physical level was a great thing, it allows everyone to play just the way he wants. It's easy and flexible and i really can't see what's the problem using both DoW and DoM, have you ever heared about TRAITS? as you can see from my signature my main class is Lancer so i focused on VIT, DEX and STR, but right now i'm playing also Conjurer and Thaumaturge. My basic stats now are quite balanced, all i have to do when i change class is equip the proper traits and i'm done. This way i fight NMs with my lancer and i can still be the main healer with my Conjurer.

IMHO the real argument should be the fact that stats have really little effect. At the beginning i thought about physical level and armoury system as something with huge potential that could work like the builds system of Guild Wars and it sounded amazing, but it ended up as nothing like it.

So I think that at the current state physical level is useless, but i would love to see it improved into something way bigger rather than having it completely scrapped.
____________________________


#30 Feb 17 2011 at 9:28 PM Rating: Decent
**
264 posts
I can't drum up any sympathy for the OP at all............ Who cares about physical levels. Lets just have 1 standard of progressive levels and let attributes be class specific, so I dont have to adjust forever everytime I change classes.
____________________________
I also want double eyepatches, to increase my pirate bravado.
#31 Feb 17 2011 at 9:29 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
626 posts
Quote:

I guess what one considers to be difficult is relative... but the point remains that regardless of whether or not you found it easy or hard to get to, say phys 50, you still face losing progress.


i personally wouldnt feel like ive lost any progress at all because i never focused on leveling it, it just leveled as i played. didnt complain about lol trust me, but at the same time i was massively more powerful than any newb my rank while i was leveling a new class.
i understand the current class system is to mimic a more convenient version of FFXIs, and yes having a sub job made you more powerful than not but not by the amount this game rusults in, i think being able to mix match abilities with maybe some stat bonuses? should be enough to equal FFXIs having a sub job.
____________________________

#32 Feb 17 2011 at 9:55 PM Rating: Decent
*
112 posts
my understanding about this is phy lv only gives us attribute points that so far only seem to have a large effect over HP and MP str/dex/ect have not been proven to make a very noticeable difference and since being phy lv 50 does not allow you to fight lv 50 mobs i see now reason for concern if it goes away. that just means that they will more than likely "my opinion" make each class have set stats with future "merit" points to customize like in XI. this system would be much better in my opinion since you would be able to actually change jobs and be effective with stats in less than the 10 hour point reset we have now.

- sorry if this has already been said but i did not have time to read all of the above posts.
____________________________


#33 Feb 17 2011 at 10:10 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
523 posts
Get rid of physical level,
Keep Stat point allocation,
Problem Solved.
#34 Feb 17 2011 at 10:30 PM Rating: Good
*
236 posts
AlexiaKidd wrote:
I hope they do get rid of physical level as it hampers my abilities to be great at very class. Now that I have a rank 50 class I am levelling all other classes at the same time. As my R50 is MRD I had loads of points pumped into STR, DEX and VIT but now that I also have mage classes to level I am having to distribute my points more evenly but now I can never excel at that class. Also if I need to switch back to my MRD for NM's or something I am gimped because I have put points into INT,MND and Piety.

Add the fact that crafting is also tied to the stats and then you are gimped at that too unless it's a craft that goes with my melee build.

Physical level requires no effort to achieve, the average person will hit it well before they get rank 50 in a particular class.

So for me I hope they do get rid and then make stats static and tied to a class. Then they can add a kind of merit point system to add to those stats for a bit of customisation. At least that way I can be a great CON and switch to being a great MRD 5 mins later if I want to.


Bingo. Unless you want to be gimped whenever you play something besides your main, you can never be truly excellent at your main.
____________________________

#35 Feb 17 2011 at 10:35 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,608 posts
Things would be better off if there was no physical level. It was a bad mistake to have seperate SP and EXP from the start.
____________________________

#36 Feb 17 2011 at 11:29 PM Rating: Decent
*
107 posts
I'm just surprised anyone is even complaining about the "hard work" they put towards physical exp.

At times I could swear I was getting physical exp by just breathing >_> Not that hard to cap out at 50 unless you're just grinding away at one job mindlessly.

Edited, Feb 18th 2011 12:29am by dasquall
____________________________
If Square Ran ****...

<<<<Welcome to ****!>>>>
<Noob63> ...
<Devil666> LFG STN67/LAW25
<Hitler> lvlsubunubkthxbye
We seem to be experiencing **** Freezing Over. Emergency Maintenence is scheduled to start in 15 mins so tough luck to all you trying to enjoy Dynamis Heaven!
#37 Feb 18 2011 at 12:03 AM Rating: Decent
*
93 posts
Meh game has only been out for 4 months most people probably hit physical level 50 within a month who cares if they remove them? I am all for it if it improves the gaming experience.
#38 Feb 18 2011 at 12:26 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
17 posts
Personally Physical level is fairly easy to obtain and doesnt have a main purpose right now. Most of the traits such as Dex, Str, Int, Pie dont have much of an effect. I would be for either completely fixing the current system and make caps for each class this way there is a little bit more job uniqueness with the addition of being able to set up how you want your points allocated saved automatically for each job class, or completely wipe out that system and bring in more of a system that FFXI used. This way it will still benefit the players that are more dedicated and job classes will get more of a specialized niche.

And to help ease the feeling of losing progress if the current system is scrapped and a new system for example like FFXI was in place. If SE allowed everyone to be capped on all attributes for your rank, would that change your minds. We all know that one day the top rank from 50 to whatever will increase and basically if you have a rank 50 job already most likely you will also have capped out your physical level. So it would be more like a swap from one system to another. Nothing was lost and you only have more to gain in the process.

Edited, Feb 18th 2011 1:29am by AuronXviii
____________________________


#39 Feb 18 2011 at 12:43 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
240 posts
Rank should be called level and the current level should be done away with. Honestly, it's pointless and if the attributes are based on current job (like it should be) it becomes more pointless.
#40 Feb 18 2011 at 12:45 AM Rating: Good
*
93 posts
I would be more in favor for a system like ff11 where attributes and skills like elemental,cure,shield each weapon type evasion,parrying and enfeebling that was a awesome system in my opinion the current is just so simple and lacking
#41 Feb 18 2011 at 12:47 AM Rating: Default
*
55 posts
Onionthiefx wrote:
My concern is more about losing all of the hours and hard work I've put into my physical leveling...


Then you shouldnt have put so much work into a Beta...
#42 Feb 18 2011 at 3:09 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
Physical levels were not really importeant from the beginning, and always higher than your class rank.
You almost couldn't prevent this.
Nothing lost, good riddance for an unnecessarily convoluted system.
#43 Feb 18 2011 at 3:41 AM Rating: Excellent
***
3,177 posts
Perhaps I may be in the minority, but I wouldn't like it if S-E scrapped the idea of physical levels.

If anything, I saw it as an achievement to promote leveling different classes. Not to mention it was much easier to rank up new classes with a high physical level. Scrapping the system would make it feel too much like FFXI, and while that's a great game in its own right, I just don't like the idea of feeling like I'm starting over every time I play a new class.

That's just my two gil though, I voted for the first option where they have auto stat allocation for each physical level.

Edit: I also want to say that I'm not defending the idea that it's 'hard' work, but the system in place really reminds me of Final Fantasy V, and I absolutely loved that game and its job system. Only difference between this and that is that we have (soon, had) control over our stat growth, and FFV's system had Physical level/job rank separated as well but with auto stat allocation from the physical level.

Edited, Feb 18th 2011 1:44am by UltKnightGrover
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#44 Feb 18 2011 at 5:21 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
27 posts
alcide wrote:
From the first stage of beta testing i've always thought physical level was a great thing, it allows everyone to play just the way he wants. It's easy and flexible and i really can't see what's the problem using both DoW and DoM, have you ever heared about TRAITS? as you can see from my signature my main class is Lancer so i focused on VIT, DEX and STR, but right now i'm playing also Conjurer and Thaumaturge. My basic stats now are quite balanced, all i have to do when i change class is equip the proper traits and i'm done. This way i fight NMs with my lancer and i can still be the main healer with my Conjurer.

IMHO the real argument should be the fact that stats have really little effect. At the beginning i thought about physical level and armoury system as something with huge potential that could work like the builds system of Guild Wars and it sounded amazing, but it ended up as nothing like it.

So I think that at the current state physical level is useless, but i would love to see it improved into something way bigger rather than having it completely scrapped.

im sorry but your argument plays right in to why we should have attributes tied to rank instead of physical level. physical level and traits are unnecessary button clicks if you ask me. i dont understand why ppl are whining about this? we would be able to have completely optimized specs for each rank we play. i dont get it. no progress on our jobs would be lost and we could still play how we want and spec how we want. These arguments to keep physical level confuse me as i see no clear benefit. it is unnecessary. make stats meaningful and tie them to class rank and we have a highly customizable, optimized armory system. period.
#45 Feb 18 2011 at 5:24 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
27 posts
UltKnightGrover wrote:
Perhaps I may be in the minority, but I wouldn't like it if S-E scrapped the idea of physical levels.

If anything, I saw it as an achievement to promote leveling different classes. Not to mention it was much easier to rank up new classes with a high physical level. Scrapping the system would make it feel too much like FFXI, and while that's a great game in its own right, I just don't like the idea of feeling like I'm starting over every time I play a new class.

That's just my two gil though, I voted for the first option where they have auto stat allocation for each physical level.

Edit: I also want to say that I'm not defending the idea that it's 'hard' work, but the system in place really reminds me of Final Fantasy V, and I absolutely loved that game and its job system. Only difference between this and that is that we have (soon, had) control over our stat growth, and FFV's system had Physical level/job rank separated as well but with auto stat allocation from the physical level.

Edited, Feb 18th 2011 1:44am by UltKnightGrover

hate to comment twice in a row but if we get this system you can kiss playing the way you want goodbye. itll be back to the days of loltarumelee and lolgalkamage. though i suppose with the different clans this wont be as bad as it was in 11.

Edited, Feb 18th 2011 6:33am by thegalk
#46 Feb 18 2011 at 5:38 AM Rating: Excellent
I think we will have to accept that lots of things are going to change as the time goes on and sometimes it means that the hard work we have put into somethings will be in vain.

I remember on FFXI I grinded 4 million gil for my vermillion cloak just to see the prices drop DRASTICALLY only few months later... and there were lots of other things as well (like the mission nerfing, rr earring for new players, abyssea exp after I had grinded my exp the old fashioned way etc.)

____________________________

#47 Feb 18 2011 at 5:44 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
*
97 posts
removing the PHysical levels is fine by me. this will be better. How many complaints have you read that i want to go from PUG to THM and not re assign all my stats. With this new system( If you took the poll you would understand) By switching a weapon your stats get re assigned automatically. To me its a win win. I say, I'll take it.

I feel bad for SE if they try to make it better people complain, if they leave it as is people complain.

EDIT: Their is no hard work in achieving physical level. It's all a byproduct of Ranking up anything. I never sat their and was like, man i need physical level 35 before i can do anything.. SO getting ride of it will not change the game and how you play. It will just simplify it with the excising of allocating points and having to reallocate them when going from a WAR class to a MAGE class.

Edited, Feb 18th 2011 6:49am by flavvor
____________________________


#48 Feb 18 2011 at 6:35 AM Rating: Decent
I knew some Physical Level 50 person would come through and think they actually had to put some effort into obtaining their Level, and start rating everyone down. Don't worry, I rate up a few people (since it was obvious that they got rated down solely because they agreed that the Phy Level should be removed.)
____________________________
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
Data Center: Primal; Server: Ultros; Free Company: The Kraken Club; Grand Company: The Maelstrom; Chocobo: Kweh
#49 Feb 18 2011 at 6:36 AM Rating: Good
**
284 posts
I for one wont miss it much. They just gave xp away even before patch 1.15b nerfed it for DoH. If they gave that much sp from the beginning then we would all have multiple rank 50s honestly.

But I would propose to SE to give some sort of xp allocation to any class you wanted lol. That way you could nab a few extra lvls for those pesky classes that you just find yourself not wanting to mess with. That wont happen I know but I was trying to give the OP something to wish for.

Stay strong either way. :)
#50 Feb 18 2011 at 6:47 AM Rating: Excellent
Sage
*
82 posts
So who can't wait to see physical lvl removed?! I can't tell you how much of a joke it is to spend 3-4hours re-allocating all my points every time I switch jobs. And forget about actually playing 2-3 diff classes to cap thats just a lost cause. My weaver needs max dex or I don't get HQ, my LNC needs more str, my con needs more MND and INT. And when I switch jobs either I re-allocate my stats or be gimp as ----. Its a constant battle. And dont' kid yourself if you think you earned your EXP lvl 50 you are clearly mistaken don't be a nub getting physy 50 is strait byproduct and a joke of a system.

If we are given a system where we can freely lvl any class to cap then we need a way to job switch in under 3-4hours.
____________________________
http://goblinbombtoss.guildwork.com/
#51 Feb 18 2011 at 7:03 AM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
*
197 posts
Lose what hard work exactly? Not being ironic, it's more a question I had to ask myself.

We gained phys level by for example: doing regional leves on 1 class / doing local leves 1 class / occasional out of leve kills (or grinding). Your phys level goes up much faster either way than ranks, if it gets removed you will still have what you really worked hard for, the ranks, same ones which we had to go through fatigue, fighting for behest spots, grinding.... incomparably slower than we gained phys levels.

As i understood it from the poll, the phys level might get swapped for class-specific stats or something along those lines. I frankly would prefer that than have to re-adjust my stat points too often when I wanna play a different fight/craft class. So far the phys level allowed me to up my HP/MP etc. each time I gained a new level, but there's no reason we can't have some sort of stat caps for each class separately, upon gaining new rank on it.

I personally always felt that phys rank was a bit obsolete and was there to unnecessarily complicate stuff.
« Previous 1 2
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 20 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (20)