So for the past few days I have been trying to all my settings configured for FFXIV after doing some PC upgrades and adding another XFX ATI-5770 in CrossfireX mode. I was warned about the headaches of using Crossfire and the issues with FFXIV before doing so but figured I would give it a shot anyways.
I should also mention that after seeing the results from running 2 GPU's in CrossfireX I am upgrading to (2) ATI-5950's
I spent a lot of time reading information on various websites and trying some new software and some tweaks to help performance, some helped before the latest Catalyst and some were a waste of time. After doing so I though it would have been nice to have a simple walkthrough for configuring graphic settings for FFXI. So here we go:
please note that Crossfire only works in Full Screen mode and will not work on Windowed mode
1. Download the newest version of Catalyst for your OS here: Catalyst 11.2
2. Download the latest ATI Catalyst™ Application Profiles here: CAP 11.2
3. Download a simple program to remove old drivers from PC here: Download Sweeper 2.1.0
4. Download a very help tool that works with ATI CCC here: RadeonPro 220.127.116.11
INSTALLING NEW CATALYST DRIVERS
1. Uninstall AMD Catalyst Suite from Control Panel. Don't Express Uninstall if you have an AMD chipset motherboard.
(If you're running a fully AMD motherboard using a chipset such as 790GX, 780G, 890FX, 760G etc. DO NOT use Express Uninstall of all AMD Catalyst Software as it may be ninja uninstalling your chipset drivers. Instead choose Uninstall Manager --> Custom --> And choose all of the modules on the list *your chipset drivers won't be one of these selections*.)
2. After the driver uninstall is complete, Run Driver Sweeper > ATI Display > Analyze > Clean
(if you install ASC below run a scan as well and repair)
3. Reboot your system and install the newest Catalyst Drivers do not worry about adjusting any settings just make sure CrossfireX is enabled. Then install the ATI Application Profiles you downloaded.
4. Next install RadeonPRO and open it up. You're going to want to create a profile for FFXIV. Click the Add New Profile button at the top of the RadeonPRO interface. Browse to where FFXIV is installed. It's usually installed in C:\Program Files\SquareEnix\FINAL FANTASY XIV find your ffxivgame.exe and click the Open button. You now have a profile in your RadeonPRO window.
(under the Launchers tab I also added the FFXIVboot.exe file)
5. Next select the profile on the left hand side of the RadeonPRO interface. On the right hand side you will see several tabs. Click the Visual tab and where it says Vertical Sync Control put a checkmark in the box. Now set the slider to On, unless application specifies.
6. Next click the Tweaks tab and where it says Vsync Control, set it to Force On. Put a check in the box next to Triple Buffering. Put a check in the box next to Force Aggressive API Detection level. In the Display Refresh Rate box type in '60' so it says 60 Hz
7. All done, now close RadeonPRO into the toolbar tray by hitting the close button. It should minimize right into the tray and stay running.
8. One last Reboot for good times and you should be good to go.
FFXIV CONFIG SETTINGS
Until this recent update I was unable to get RadeonPro or the ATI CCC to override the AA settings in FFXIV. I will leave this section open for later after I get more feedback, but you should now have more control over your settings.
OPTIONAL HELPFUL DOWNLOADS
Advanced System Care - has a one-click approach to help protect, repair, clean, and optimize your PC. With over 100 MILLION downloads since 2006, this fantastic, award-winning, free PC repair software is a "must-have" tool for your computer. 100% safe with no adware, spyware, or viruses; a PC maintenance program that's incredibly easy to use.
GameBooster - Designed to help optimize your PC for smoother, more responsive game play in the latest PC games with the touch of a button, Game Booster helps achieve the performance edge previously only available to highly technical enthusiasts.
Fraps - universal Windows application that can be used with games using DirectX or OpenGL graphic technology. In its current form Fraps performs many tasks.
FFXIV Windower - All this aplication does is take an already windowed game (using SE's windowed mode option) and reposition the game so that the borders are off of the screen. This gives it a psuedo full screen effect like FF11 Windower did and like other games Full Screen Windowed mode options.