Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
This Forum is Read Only

Feeling less confident about the future of XIVFollow

#1 Feb 18 2011 at 4:14 PM Rating: Good
****
9,526 posts
Well, as many of you know I've been a pretty staunch supporter for this game in general, all the way back since open beta. And truly, other than a lack of story-based content, I genuinely enjoy this game.

However, the last letter from Yoshi-P has me feeling less confident than ever about the future. Things like marking quest NPCs (thereby taking the joy of discovery out of the game), the hint of things being heavily instanced, the possible scrapping of skill point allotment, and the possible addition of auto-attack, all combine to leave me thinking I should just quit and go back to XI or WoW now, before I get any more invested in my character.

I know a lot of people voted for radical change in the first poll, but then again - most of the people who voted don't play. Truth be told, I am skeptical even half of them would EVER play this game again, even if Yoshi turns this game into the mutant child of WoW and XI that it looks like it is shaping up to be.

So meanwhile, players like me, that genuinely enjoy the game as it is, are supposed to not care if they scrap everything we like about it? Yeah I know some people will come on here and call me down for liking the game as is, but whatever. There is no accounting for taste - we all like different things - that shouldn't be a point of contention.

Yoshi promised that we wouldn't lose any of our progress - but if they change things so much that what we invested in doesn't work the same at all -- like if they made conjurer into a white mage - and I got to keep my ranks but lost all the skills that I ranked up the class TO GET... well it is almost the same as wiping you. Keeping ranks alone doesn't cut it. I've ranked up a lot of jobs not for the job but for the cross-classable skills. If all of the sudden I can't cross class those skills - or those skills are on a different class - or they are totally gimped by new restrictions - I am losing what I worked for.

So yeah, I admit it. I am totally depressed about this game. I had high hopes for it but I am starting to think I would be better off letting go now, before they ruin everything I like about this game - before they mess up my character and take away my skills - or replace the combat I enjoy with an auto-attack snooze-fest.

That, and the fact that we are still waiting to hear when the content patch is... well I am tired of it - tired of being taken for granted - because although I haven't paid a monthly fee yet, my time is a currency in itself - and without the people that are currently playing - even for free - SE WOULD HAVE NOTHING - NO HOPE FOR THIS GAME - yet the people who are actually holding this game together - and GIVING NEW PLAYERS A REASON TO BUY THE BOX are being treated like mushrooms - kept in the dark and fed bullsh1t.

I think that people who love this game should have a greater voice at the table than people who badmouth it... but instead it seems like the opposite - and I know the haters will come out and say "well they need to get us people to play" and I would say NO - they need to get more people to play - but they should be reaching out to those who haven't already decided they hate everything about the game as it is.

What this game needs is not to get pulled apart - NO! It is a waste of dev time. It needs content. Content! Content! Them wasting time adding auto-attack will do nothing to draw new people in. It will do nothing to keep existing players like myself.

I'm feeling less confident about the future of XIV.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#2 Feb 18 2011 at 4:20 PM Rating: Decent
*
55 posts
I apologize if I said something to upset you.
____________________________

#3 Feb 18 2011 at 4:24 PM Rating: Decent
****
9,526 posts
legendof7th wrote:
I apologize if I said something to upset you.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQZmCJUSC6g
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#4 Feb 18 2011 at 4:30 PM Rating: Good
*
55 posts
Atleast I wasn't rick'rolled. But chances are, you'll leave and eventually come back, I rage-quit FFXI five times, but I always came back. For me, it'll be the same for FFXIV. One day, they'll put in a patch that you actually like, and lo' n behold! Welcome back brother.
____________________________

#5 Feb 18 2011 at 4:33 PM Rating: Decent
3 posts
This is something I have to agree with whole-heartedly.

FFXIV is a great game and is unique in it's own way, I love the battle system, the huge parties that bands everyone together, the weird but pretty awesome job system and many others.

Although the game didn't feel too much like FF at first (because switching from FFXI, I truly do miss DRG and NIN and all those other jobs) but FFXIV isn't FFXI and I've grown to really like this game.

The only thing that is missing from this game is the Final Fantasy storyline and the amazing content that was in every other FF series.

One of the biggest reasons why I play and not WoW or Aion is because those are heavily instance/dungeon based and made it feel like a job when playing. FFXIV seems to be more community based. Although they made getting EXP and SP terrible in a 15 man party, the cool thing is that it's still possible.

Content is what FFXIV needs, not changes to combat or random instances. The reason people are still playing the game is because they like how it is and believes in the future FFXIV.

We need more jobs, more items, weapons (tired of looking at champions lance because it looks like every other lance) and bosses. More quests and perhaps a chocobo farm (hehe.. Always wanted one).

I hope they don't do those changes, because if they do, Final Fantasy will never be unique and will be just another MMO, just like WoW.
#6 Feb 18 2011 at 4:34 PM Rating: Default
****
9,526 posts
well I've got 60 dollars in Crysta keyed into my account... so yeah I doubt that I won't at least try it - and I am willing to give the changes a chance, I just don't like what I am seeing.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#7werther1234, Posted: Feb 18 2011 at 4:35 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Agree 100 perfekt great threead
#8 Feb 18 2011 at 4:40 PM Rating: Decent
****
9,526 posts
BlankTarot wrote:

Although the game didn't feel too much like FF at first (because switching from FFXI, I truly do miss DRG and NIN and all those other jobs) but FFXIV isn't FFXI and I've grown to really like this game.


Yeah, I miss the advanced classes too. Which is why it is so disheartening that the devs are wasting time pulling the game apart instead of adding jobs like beastmaster etc.

Why even consider changing classes and their names (when they totally wouldn't fit with the lore we have) when they could be making NEW classes (using the classic names) and new cities and new guilds and new lore?

I just feel like the devs are wasting time ruining the game instead of spending it improving it. If this game had fun, challenging content with a great storyline, no one would be quibbling about battle mechanics. They would just learn to play (that's right, if you're spamming 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, over level 5, you need to learn to play) so that they could engage in the content.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#9 Feb 18 2011 at 4:44 PM Rating: Decent
****
9,526 posts
BlankTarot wrote:


We need more jobs, more items, weapons (tired of looking at champions lance because it looks like every other lance) and bosses. More quests and perhaps a chocobo farm (hehe.. Always wanted one).

I hope they don't do those changes, because if they do, Final Fantasy will never be unique and will be just another MMO, just like WoW.


This too, there are not nearly enough items in the game. I mean you should have more than 1 or 2 weapons to choose from per tier - and there should be more gear with neat stats and cool effects and more situational pieces.

And airships, and chocobos! I mean seriously. Why waste your time reinventing a battle system that works when you have SO LITTLE TIME before people give up on this game due to lack of content, and lack of the things that make a final fantasy title a final fantasy title. It is unbelievable they released this game without chocobos

AND SIX MONTHS LATER - NO CHOCOBOS?
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#10 Feb 18 2011 at 4:47 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
Quote:
However, the last letter from Yoshi-P has me feeling less confident than ever about the future. Things like marking quest NPCs (thereby taking the joy of discovery out of the game

So. You never looked up quests on the internet before.
Go tell your senile grandma.
#11 Feb 18 2011 at 4:49 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
437 posts
I know exactly how you feel. Also to note is the way that the poll questions are written in a way to imply a predetermined answer. Theyve already decided what theyre going to do, the poll makes eveyone think they want it too. well it doesnt for me.

I however will stick until the game is actually ruined. I know SE can do it better than anyone else. I dont need this game to be a Wow killer, XI already did that for me. This game needs to be the next step which it can be but wont if it starts going backwards and giving the haters what they want instead trying to do better.

I am now worried but will try to approach with positivity.
____________________________

Metin - Phoenix - BLM75 WHM48 Retired

http://cojenova.enjin.com/ff14forum

#12 Feb 18 2011 at 4:50 PM Rating: Good
34 posts
I think you might be looking into this too deep. I say give it a chance to the up coming updates and then decide whether is worth it or not, but for now, there are too many speculation about what Yoshi P really meant by his letter.
#13 Feb 18 2011 at 4:53 PM Rating: Good
****
9,526 posts
Rinsui wrote:
Quote:
However, the last letter from Yoshi-P has me feeling less confident than ever about the future. Things like marking quest NPCs (thereby taking the joy of discovery out of the game

So. You never looked up quests on the internet before.
Go tell your senile grandma.


Yeah, I did occasionally look up quests on the internet - but that isn't the same thing as an NPC having a glowing orange ring over their head or a big red arrow pointing you towards them or a giant ! spinning around their head.

People can still look up quests on the internet - and if they find that too hard, well maybe they should go back to pre-school instead of ruining the immersion for everyone else.

As for your comment about my grandmother, it was unnecessary and disrespectful, and I don't see how it adds to the conversation. Personal attacks are the refuge of the feeble-minded.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#14 Feb 18 2011 at 4:55 PM Rating: Decent
****
9,526 posts
HamtarotheHam wrote:
I think you might be looking into this too deep. I say give it a chance to the up coming updates and then decide whether is worth it or not, but for now, there are too many speculation about what Yoshi P really meant by his letter.


Yeah it is possible I am looking into this too deep, but the fact that they are even considering wasting scarce development time on pulling things apart instead of building up the game is a real red flag for me. Frankly, this game has very little time left to add substantial amounts of content. If all we get is 10 npc quests in the next patch, I think a lot of people who have stuck around will slowly stop playing.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#15 Feb 18 2011 at 4:56 PM Rating: Good
*
55 posts
Olorinus the Vile wrote:
BlankTarot wrote:


We need more jobs, more items, weapons (tired of looking at champions lance because it looks like every other lance) and bosses. More quests and perhaps a chocobo farm (hehe.. Always wanted one).

I hope they don't do those changes, because if they do, Final Fantasy will never be unique and will be just another MMO, just like WoW.


This too, there are not nearly enough items in the game. I mean you should have more than 1 or 2 weapons to choose from per tier - and there should be more gear with neat stats and cool effects and more situational pieces.

And airships, and chocobos! I mean seriously. Why waste your time reinventing a battle system that works when you have SO LITTLE TIME before people give up on this game due to lack of content, and lack of the things that make a final fantasy title a final fantasy title. It is unbelievable they released this game without chocobos

AND SIX MONTHS LATER - NO CHOCOBOS?


That's right it's not an FF if there aren't any chocobos! D: It was such a pain to run from limsa to grindia without one. Then later that day someone tells me I could've teleport there with someone else who was there already. :'(

And I agree, I want BST (or equivalent), I don't care as much if a pugilist is called a monk or a fighter or brawler or my lil'ponie.
____________________________

#16 Feb 18 2011 at 4:56 PM Rating: Good
*
62 posts
I find it incomprehensible why they are so secretive about things such as exact patch notes and i guess that is us 'being treated like mushrooms' like u said. But actually I still am hopeful for the future of FF14 cuz SquareEnix simply has too much riding on this game. Its in their best interest to make this game good. I cant even imagine the reputation hit Square enix would suffer if they would abandon this game so I dont see that happening either. We just have to be patient I guess.. I've been playing for about a month now but seriously those who play for a few months already and still wait for the miracle patch must be freaking zenmasters.
____________________________


#17 Feb 18 2011 at 4:58 PM Rating: Decent
****
9,526 posts
MensoMicona wrote:
seriously those who play for a few months already and still wait for the miracle patch must be freaking zenmasters.


Yeah, I think the fact I have been playing since open beta is part of the reason I am impatient. I truly thought I would have at least gotten to ride a frigging chocobo by now...
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#18 Feb 18 2011 at 4:59 PM Rating: Good
34 posts
Olorinus the Vile wrote:
HamtarotheHam wrote:
I think you might be looking into this too deep. I say give it a chance to the up coming updates and then decide whether is worth it or not, but for now, there are too many speculation about what Yoshi P really meant by his letter.


Yeah it is possible I am looking into this too deep, but the fact that they are even considering wasting scarce development time on pulling things apart instead of building up the game is a real red flag for me. Frankly, this game has very little time left to add substantial amounts of content. If all we get is 10 npc quests in the next patch, I think a lot of people who have stuck around will slowly stop playing.


Yes, completely agree. There are thinks SE could be using their time in a more constructive way. If they only give us a limited sets of quest I could see where people will be disappointed and ask whether SE actually put all their resources to good use. But for now, so far, they have shown to give us a lot of positive updates and let's hope the next updates gives us the same results.
#19 Feb 18 2011 at 5:00 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
1,431 posts
this is where I feel bad... For those of you who "stuck" with the game. In a perfect world, you would be rewarded, but the brutal fact is that no one (aside from the small group) is playing FFXIV and I doubt they can afford to keep it running with the current player base.
PVP, instance runs, mounts, these are all now de facto standards in MMORPG. I'm very aware they were not during FFXI's prime day, but you need to evolve or get out.
#20 Feb 18 2011 at 5:02 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
437 posts
the chocobo thing isnt too bad. how long was it in XI till we got chocobos? a couple of years at least?
____________________________

Metin - Phoenix - BLM75 WHM48 Retired

http://cojenova.enjin.com/ff14forum

#21 Feb 18 2011 at 5:03 PM Rating: Good
*
55 posts
MensoMicona wrote:
I find it incomprehensible why they are so secretive about things such as exact patch notes and i guess that is us 'being treated like mushrooms' like u said. But actually I still am hopeful for the future of FF14 cuz SquareEnix simply has too much riding on this game. Its in their best interest to make this game good. I cant even imagine the reputation hit Square enix would suffer if they would abandon this game so I dont see that happening either. We just have to be patient I guess.. I've been playing for about a month now but seriously those who play for a few months already and still wait for the miracle patch must be freaking zenmasters.


Well, seeing a it took SE 6 years to finally do BST some justice, if they can shrink that down to 6 months, it's o-kay. To be called zenmasters might be over it, I think people's tolerance level has just went down. I'm still waiting for miracle patch.
____________________________

#22 Feb 18 2011 at 5:05 PM Rating: Decent
****
9,526 posts
sideways wrote:
this is where I feel bad... For those of you who "stuck" with the game. In a perfect world, you would be rewarded, but the brutal fact is that no one (aside from the small group) is playing FFXIV and I doubt they can afford to keep it running with the current player base.
PVP, instance runs, mounts, these are all now de facto standards in MMORPG. I'm very aware they were not during FFXI's prime day, but you need to evolve or get out.


I think it is crazy to believe SE can alienate those who are still playing this game and hope to succeed. MMOs are primarily social in nature, and I promise that alienating the people who have stuck with this game won't bring in more subscribers. They won't just lose the people playing - they will lose all the people that those people tell about what a crummy game it has become... and all the people that those players would have invited to play etc.

Let's face it - most of the people that left this game are not going to come running back if SE turns this into a shadow of WoW. So how will driving off the existing playerbase help SE?
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#23 Feb 18 2011 at 5:05 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
16,959 posts
I'm starting to feel the same way myself.
I only feel like logging in to do my leves, see if anyone is online in the LS, and log out.

The only time I really have fun with the game is when my RL friends log in too, and we go ******** around in random places. We don't do that anymore, because one of my friends has the game crash on him multiple times a night.
There's only so many times you can take it, before you just close the game out of frustration.

SE did a wonderful job on the aesthetics of the game, but the lore and technical details really need work.
____________________________
MyAnimeList FFXIV Krystal Spoonless
#24 Feb 18 2011 at 5:07 PM Rating: Decent
****
9,526 posts
Kirby the Eccentric wrote:
I'm starting to feel the same way myself.
I only feel like logging in to do my leves, see if anyone is online in the LS, and log out.

The only time I really have fun with the game is when my RL friends log in too, and we go ******** around in random places. We don't do that anymore, because one of my friends has the game crash on him multiple times a night.
There's only so many times you can take it, before you just close the game out of frustration.

SE did a wonderful job on the aesthetics of the game, but the lore and technical details really need work.


And then this becomes a viscous circle - you don't log in... then when I log in there is one less person I like hanging out with... so I log out... and the circle of declining playerbase continues...
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#25 Feb 18 2011 at 5:11 PM Rating: Excellent
*
55 posts
Olorinus the Vile wrote:
Kirby the Eccentric wrote:
I'm starting to feel the same way myself.
I only feel like logging in to do my leves, see if anyone is online in the LS, and log out.

The only time I really have fun with the game is when my RL friends log in too, and we go ******** around in random places. We don't do that anymore, because one of my friends has the game crash on him multiple times a night.
There's only so many times you can take it, before you just close the game out of frustration.

SE did a wonderful job on the aesthetics of the game, but the lore and technical details really need work.


And then this becomes a viscous circle - you don't log in... then when I log in there is one less person I like hanging out with... so I log out... and the circle of declining playerbase continues...


True fact, all my friends aren't on because of this.
____________________________

#26 Feb 18 2011 at 5:12 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
437 posts
it doesnt need a miracle patch or major rework. it needs stuff added and more stuff added, quests and content just not instanced contant (but thats another thread).

I just came off from probably the best night ive had on XIV thanks to the fixed SP system, that needed doing, now just add things. quests quests quests quests.
____________________________

Metin - Phoenix - BLM75 WHM48 Retired

http://cojenova.enjin.com/ff14forum

#27 Feb 18 2011 at 5:12 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
31 posts
I'm with ya Olo, as far as them scrapping the innovative features.

I really don't see how auto attack will make things better without a total revamp to the system, which I hope not to see. How will it effect stacking BR's? And wouldn't my stamina be perpetually drained? The stamina bar creates pacing, however aggrivating it can be, it is neccessary to the system. What if with the poor targeting system at the moment, I accidently target a mob that wasn't part of the enemy group after the one I was attacking dies and auto-attack him. I'm beating a dead horse but all i 'Need' is the ability to custom keymap the bars and slots and its on as far as combat goes.

I also hope that they dont 'change' the current classes. Maybe some type of advanced class or tag from chosen abilities or something. Some of the player bases' suggestions are top notch in this matter.

But hope is not lost on my end.
____________________________


#28 Feb 18 2011 at 5:13 PM Rating: Excellent
31 posts
First of all, I highly doubt the majority of people voting for changes don't play the game. That being said, if you want things to be the same as they are now battle wise, quest wise, class wise, you are definitely in the minority.

You say if they make these planned changes they're going to lose customers? I say if they keep things anything like they are now they're going to be losing a lot more.

Face it, the game is broken and these changes are a breathe of fresh air for people like me who are playing for future end game/future content. Which I think is what the majority of players are doing. Very few are actually playing because they whole heartedly enjoy it.

I know the only reason I am staying is because I like what I'm seeing in these letters. I think a lot of people can agree.
____________________________


#29 Feb 18 2011 at 5:28 PM Rating: Decent
**
602 posts
I felt the same way as the OP not when reading the letter from yoshi-p, but when taking the poll.
I don't think there's anything wrong with instanced dungeons as long as there are still real dungeons. I thought this instanced content would just be like an addition to guild-leves. It'd be good if they shared the 8-a-day limit with guild-leves.

Then there was that question asking whether we'd be fine if everything leaned more into instances. This broke the yoshi charm for me.
In my opinion some instanced content such as leves is okay, but if it begins to affect the gameworld and replacing what could easily be non instanced then its a turn for the worse.

I also felt that adding signs for NPCs that had quests to offer was kind of cheap. But maybe I'm too old school. I actually like going through the NPCs one by one asking whats going on with them in hope a cutscene suddenly triggers. But yoshi did say that a game isn't fun if you don't understand how it works... so maybe making things like this more clear is something good.

What I'm afraid though, is that it will just kill the immersion and turn quests into a thing to do in a check list.

Edited, Feb 18th 2011 6:30pm by MajidahSihaam

Edited, Feb 18th 2011 6:31pm by MajidahSihaam
____________________________
FFXI: Dashiel. (Asura) Puppetmaster.
FFXIV: Majidah Sihaam. (Besaid)
Marauder, Weaver & Alchemist.

#30 Feb 18 2011 at 5:42 PM Rating: Excellent
**
923 posts
mannyfresher wrote:
First of all, I highly doubt the majority of people voting for changes don't play the game. That being said, if you want things to be the same as they are now battle wise, quest wise, class wise, you are definitely in the minority.

You say if they make these planned changes they're going to lose customers? I say if they keep things anything like they are now they're going to be losing a lot more.

Face it, the game is broken and these changes are a breathe of fresh air for people like me who are playing for future end game/future content. Which I think is what the majority of players are doing. Very few are actually playing because they whole heartedly enjoy it.

I know the only reason I am staying is because I like what I'm seeing in these letters. I think a lot of people can agree.


Well put, well put. Everyone is entitled to their opinions on the game as is but personally I want a revamp, it needs radical change in order for me to enjoy it.
#31 Feb 18 2011 at 5:43 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
Olorinus the Vile wrote:

However, the last letter from Yoshi-P has me feeling less confident than ever about the future. Things like marking quest NPCs (thereby taking the joy of discovery out of the game), the hint of things being heavily instanced, the possible scrapping of skill point allotment, and the possible addition of auto-attack, all combine to leave me thinking I should just quit and go back to XI or WoW now, before I get any more invested in my character.


You just mentioned everything I liked about the letter. You've got Stockholm's Syndrome.
____________________________


#32 Feb 18 2011 at 5:52 PM Rating: Default
3 posts
Sounds like it's gonna turn into a WoW clone. Final Fantasy style.

I'm debating if I should continue or not either...
#33 Feb 18 2011 at 5:58 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
531 posts
I have hope for the future of FFXIV, but I too am really playing for the hope that it will get better rather than having fun now. I will always be that way, believing that is has to get better so I will stick with FFXIV through this dark period.

What I can't fathom is why SE doesn't realize we need content now. We have leves, gathering, crafting, a minute amount of quests, and a few NMs to fight, but only at higher levels. Most people who just like battling only have leves and NMs. The quests we do have can be soloed and don't have any fights that need good teamwork to win and make you feel like you accomplished something. This is not the way it should be.

We need other things to distract us so we don't get bored with the same thing over and over and over again. This will help the leve situation too a little bit because if you are doing other things, the leves will feel less tedious I think.

I don't expect SE to just pull 10 different side activities to do all of a sudden, but it would be nice to have something else to work on. Maybe raising a chocobo and it has its own levels. Maybe having an event where you rank up differently like how Campaign in FFXI gave you badges or assault gave you military titles. Just something else to do when partying because the leves get overly boring.

I will end by saying yes I still have hope. I will always because I remember all the fun I had in FFXI and hope SE can make it happen again with new quests and different things to do. It's just frustrating how it is taking long to get content into the game. I feel OP's feelings of impatience as I have them as well.

So here's to hoping SE can get really good content into the game sooner rather than later!
____________________________






#34 Feb 18 2011 at 6:08 PM Rating: Decent
***
3,178 posts
The game is not any different than it was yesterday. I try not to spend too much time getting upset over what might happen.

I'm finding it rather exciting to be playing through this process. I can picture looking back in 3-4 years and saying "You remember when you got SP for each hit?" or "You remember back when you could assign your own stat points?". I hope to be saying "You remember back when you couldn't target party member through the member list?" and "Remember when the party search didn't even include SP parties?"

You know. Back in the day.

#35 Feb 18 2011 at 6:09 PM Rating: Good
***
3,530 posts
Olorinus the Vile wrote:
just learn to play (that's right, if you're spamming 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, over level 5, you need to learn to play) find a game that's more challenging than auto-attacking.


Is it really the player's fault that FFXIV allows 1-spamming to be successful? Just make the game harder: that would address both the concerns of spamming the "1" key and low difficulty.

It's like saying that people who spam Razor Leaf through the Elite Four need to learn to play Pokemon. Maybe they could use a more diverse strategy, yeah, but they certainly know how to play the game - it's one easy, easy game.

Sorry to bring Pokemon into this but it couldn't be helped, guys; the gloves are off. :P
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#36 Feb 18 2011 at 6:10 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
48 posts
BlankTarot wrote:
Sounds like it's gonna turn into a WoW clone. Final Fantasy style.

I'm debating if I should continue or not either...


Just stop. Now.

To say bringing any functional aspect from WoW, or any other MMO for that matter, that adds content is ignorance. I'm tired of people complaining about the possibility of features being added to FFXIV that already exist in other MMOs. News flash, in order to have an engaging and functional game some things are necessary. SE doesn't need to reinvent the wheel to make a fun, engaging MMO, but they can certainly try to improve on certain existing aspects.
____________________________


#37 Feb 18 2011 at 6:15 PM Rating: Default
3 posts
Some things are necessary? Auto-attack isn't. Making it a heavily instanced/dungeon game isn't.

FF series has been always unique and I loved it for being how it is. It's extremely awesome now and all they need to do is add content and feature. I know of many who will agree.

Also, with the possibilities, it's turning into another normal MMO. Tell me, why should I play FFXIV if it will be almost the same as any other?

FFXIV is unique and special and I love it. I'm just saying, I hope they don't turn it into something like a WoW clone.
#38 Feb 18 2011 at 6:42 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
48 posts
BlankTarot wrote:
Some things are necessary? Auto-attack isn't. Making it a heavily instanced/dungeon game isn't.

FF series has been always unique and I loved it for being how it is. It's extremely awesome now and all they need to do is add content and feature. I know of many who will agree.

Also, with the possibilities, it's turning into another normal MMO. Tell me, why should I play FFXIV if it will be almost the same as any other?

FFXIV is unique and special and I love it. I'm just saying, I hope they don't turn it into something like a WoW clone.


The main problem with your train of thought is thinking of ANY MMO with similar features of WoW a 'WoW clone'. If FFXIV was updated with these features, would you consider it a WoW clone?

-Auction House
-A plethora of quests (and god forbid some way to know where to accept them without having to pull up ffxiv.yg.com)
-Group oriented instanced content
-A fun and engaging battle system (Even IF auto-attack is a part of it. If it's interesting, it won't matter)

I'm sorry but calling out a game for adding features such as these as being a 'WoW clone' is extremely short-sided. Who is to say SE will do it exactly like WoW, or any other current MMO? They probably won't. The game has basic systems/platforms to provide content in place. I foresee they expand off those already in place (Guild leve system) too add content.
BlankTarot wrote:


FFXIV is unique and special and I love it.


I'm glad you're enjoying the game, and things while only get better from here. But what exactly do you find so enjoyable in the game at this point in time?

Edited, Feb 18th 2011 7:50pm by mnikad12
____________________________


#39 Feb 18 2011 at 6:58 PM Rating: Good
35 posts
For those of you going /emo and talking about quitting based on what you think might happen next update: it seems more like the posting is in hopes of some SE "Vice President of Reading ZAM" seeing this and putting a halt to what you seem to think might happen. Why not wait to see what happens and then decide? If your /emo "I think I might quit" post is simply a coy trick to try and influence SE to stop a game revamp, then it might be more constructive to present your argument in a more direct way.

On a side note, I don't see how anyone can find the battle or armory system the least bit interesting. OK, overstated. I even find the battle and armory system the least bit interesting, but not much past that. I understand the XI beastmaster enjoys the solo play, but even BST in XI required skill and timing and strategy and coordination. Something lacking in all respects in XIV. That and everything about the armory system is simply generic. All jobs tend to look the same, cuz all jobs can wear all gear and use pretty much all abilities.
____________________________
***Have you ever wondered which hurts the most: saying something and wishing you had not, or saying nothing, and wishing you had?***
#40 Feb 18 2011 at 7:01 PM Rating: Excellent
Honestly if they turned this game in to a clone of FFXI with a new story and quick paced combat, it would be everything I need. I don't even need improved graphics. I wish game companies would remember that part, it seems like its graphics above all these days.
____________________________
Die! Die die die. die die die die, die die. - Scarlet Briar
#41 Feb 18 2011 at 7:11 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
16,959 posts
SirEdmundBurke wrote:
Why not wait to see what happens and then decide?
It's a guessing game right now. I just don't feel like getting my hopes up every patch anymore.

I'm still occasionally playing, but until content is added, it won't matter to me how much they change the rest of the game.
____________________________
MyAnimeList FFXIV Krystal Spoonless
#42 Feb 18 2011 at 7:17 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
Quote:

FF series has been always unique and I loved it for being how it is. It's extremely awesome now and all they need to do is add content and feature. I know of many who will agree.


a) It's as unique as a baby born with multiple rare disabilities at once.
b) Those who will agree are the 3% of the original player base that are still playing.

Let the Duck work. He's pulled off some impressive miracles already (given he's so new to the job),
and he's just started. It will, realistically, take him a few months to really change all that is
broken/unfinished. But if - *if* - the game manages to survive that long, I guess we are in for a
really good ride.
#43 Feb 18 2011 at 7:18 PM Rating: Good
**
602 posts
digitalcraft, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Honestly if they turned this game in to a clone of FFXI with a new story and quick paced combat, it would be everything I need. I don't even need improved graphics. I wish game companies would remember that part, it seems like its graphics above all these days.


If you want a ffxi clone and you don't care about graphics then why don't you just play ffxi?
____________________________
FFXI: Dashiel. (Asura) Puppetmaster.
FFXIV: Majidah Sihaam. (Besaid)
Marauder, Weaver & Alchemist.

#44 Feb 18 2011 at 7:27 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
970 posts
For you who say the Armory system is not interesting. Go to any other forums besides fan forums. And the one thing most adore despite all the flaws is the Armory system. Just pointing that out to you.
#45 Feb 18 2011 at 7:27 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,539 posts
The way I see it....

This is WoW:

Screenshot


This is what a WoW clone looks like:

Screenshot


And this:

Screenshot


And this

Screenshot


So long as this:

Screenshot

Continues to not look like this:

Screenshot

or this

Screenshot

then I really couldn't care less what they need to put in the game to make it fun for me to play again.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#46 Feb 18 2011 at 7:35 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
Olo,
IN a way I agree. The Auto-attack, I can live with.

If they make this game to where I can't duo with my husband that is a deal breaker for me...if they take away the job system...that is a deal breaker for me... if they take away my PL and point allotment...that is a HUGE deal breaker for me. I like alotting my points to make the type of character I want...if they force me to be a cookie cutter stat character based on my job...moving on for me. The point allotment system was one of the points that drew me to this game. It reminded me of TES III and TES XIV, but better :) (IMO), so I'm hoping that maybe some at SE do linger in forums and see postings such as this *I doubt it* but then again, I don't work in that industry. *shrug*
____________________________


"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
#47 Feb 18 2011 at 7:48 PM Rating: Excellent
3 posts
As so many have already asked for...just give me content. Even just a new zone corresponding to each of the starting cities. Fill it with humanoid high level mobs...work them into the story somehow..give me a potential reward-reason to go there.
Chocobos and airships would be cool...but I think they would only make this relatively small world...smaller.
Playing the part of a bored mercenary is ok for a while...but I play this game to not be bored in real life
#48 Feb 18 2011 at 7:48 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
48 posts
LillithaFenimore wrote:
Olo,
IN a way I agree. The Auto-attack, I can live with.

If they make this game to where I can't duo with my husband that is a deal breaker for me...if they take away the job system...that is a deal breaker for me... if they take away my PL and point allotment...that is a HUGE deal breaker for me. I like alotting my points to make the type of character I want...if they force me to be a cookie cutter stat character based on my job...moving on for me. The point allotment system was one of the points that drew me to this game. It reminded me of TES III and TES XIV, but better :) (IMO), so I'm hoping that maybe some at SE do linger in forums and see postings such as this *I doubt it* but then again, I don't work in that industry. *shrug*


Point allotment as it stands right now is so diluted it could be done away with and not even be noticeable. The only real visible effect is larger HP/MP pools, the other stats are basically meaningless.
____________________________


#49 Feb 18 2011 at 8:02 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,010 posts
Quote:
That and everything about the armory system is simply generic. All jobs tend to look the same, cuz all jobs can wear all gear and use pretty much all abilities.


This is my biggest issue - it's all so **** generic. Besides that, I am wondering what these miracles are that everyone is talking about. I logged in and played for a couple hours last night and to me nothing really has changed.

There's still no shutdown button.

I still have to redo the action bar every time I change classes back and forth.

There is still no central area of trade and what trade IS there is pitiful - I took a video of my shopping trip and the emptiness of the wards was beyond belief. There is a total of 28 axes available. 28. For a game that is in the dawn of its life, that's a REALLY low amount of options, don't you think? Doesn't that tell us something?

Leves still are the only content and they still are limited.

I still can't clean out the inactives from the linkshell.


I keep hoping that "this time" is going to be the time I finally log in and find that the game suddenly has become epic, but it's.... Not. Everything that is in here, is in every other game and so much better - why oh why are you arguing to keep it this way?

I just don't understand what the **** some folks are so afraid of. So they might add a icon to an NPC. Boo ******* hoo. This game needs major work - not minor - not tweaks - MAJOR work. Content, mechanics, the works. As long as the game stays the same as it was when it launched - and don't fool yourselves, aside from the alleviation of some lag and very minor tweaks that no one will consider revolutionary features (Inventory sort? lol) - this game hasn't changed much.

I'm glad that you are finding enjoyment in it - but for the love of soup stop blinding yourself to this game's very real issues.
#50 Feb 18 2011 at 8:07 PM Rating: Good
16 posts

Dear Olorinus,


I understand concerns but:


A.) You're wrong, You aren't holding FFXIV together, SE having no hope but to turn this game around and hope that it's poultry upcoming releases can benefit the company's income are what's holding it together. They actually would trade narrow minded players who enjoy being inconvenienced day to day, and have a generally philistinian outlook on things for the millions of open minded players out there who want a fun, convenient and challenging game.

--- Let's look at the facts.

Unless you are in a large linkshell, organized static group, or otherwise compensated through resorting to RMTing, you have to spend copious amounts of time grinding trade crafts to effectively be able to grind and repair. Not only that, you've no choice but to grind because, there's no content. Why, oh why, would you attempt to blackball the progress Yoshi P is making with this game? I'll tell you, and I don't mean it offensively; just laying the cold hard truth.

You are a troll IRL. You are likely a nasty individual who doesn't like his world being changed in anyway and depends on a griefing based game system where 90% of the populous quits leaving you among the 10% of "dominating players" ruling over your memorial to draconian MMORPG features such as grinding, punishment for playing the game etc.. So what if you can locate the NPC's? I'd take.....

Easy and a lot of fun quests over.... no quests and grinding 24/7 to level, any day.


Now, endgame dungeons? Should be challenging.

Behest, should be challenging.

Leves, should be challenging.

Endgame NM's, should be challenging.

PvP... should be challenging.


But leveling from 1-40 should be perfectly easy, with rails galore even, why? Cause I want people to womp on, or to play with, I don't care if they met my standards of humanity by grinding 7 jobs out pre-patch, I care that the game's fun, because, I don't like people to suffer or feel beneath me. Point and fact, no one cares about leveling in the modern MMORPGamer world, and the sooner that SE realizes that keeping draconian values around and passing up on the conveniences that westernized MMORPGS provide, the better for FFXIV. The guys at NCSoft have acknowledged the fury of the player scorned, if SE doesn't, well; good bye FFXIV (it'll shut down when SE has to sell off all it's holdings and close their company, they took a 90% drop last fiscal year!)


B.) Go Yoshi-P, make this game a real Final Fantasy game (cause it's not right now, not by a mile, several defining factors of the FF franchise are missing in this game that he's already planning to put in.) Ignore the terrible trolls who are calling for the grind fest to continue, and for more ladders; be intelligent, be successful and make FF a real monument to the years of creativity that made Squaresoft and SE so legendary.


C.) Nice try at an eloquent troll/grief post disguised as good intentions. Go peddle your @#$% somewhere else!


Thanks,


Temple Knight Sion

Edited, Feb 18th 2011 9:10pm by TrionValere
#51 Feb 18 2011 at 8:10 PM Rating: Decent
*
63 posts
Agree 100% with the OP.

We have to admit Yoshi-P is doing a great job with all the communication thing, he is actually listening to the players. The point is most of the things in his list are coming from the whining of the players that left the game months ago. Now those who stayed have learned how all the things works and knows that the battle system is not that bad once you understand it, that battle regimens are working and are just an evolution of skill chains (so much easier and so much better), that we don't need auto-attack or auto-regen THAT badly.

If he really wants to gather informations from the players he has to be sure that those infos are coming from peaple that are actually playing... something like the private forum that we had back in closed beta would be great.
____________________________


« Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 15 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (15)