Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Feeling less confident about the future of XIVFollow

#52 Feb 18 2011 at 8:11 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
TrionValere wrote:



Dear Olorinus,


I understand concerns but:


A.) You're wrong, You aren't holding FFXIV together, SE having no hope but to turn this game around and hope that it's poultry upcoming releases can benefit the company's income are what's holding it together. They actually would trade narrow minded players who enjoy being inconvenienced day to day, and have a generally philistinian outlook on things for the millions of open minded players out there who want a fun, convenient and challenging game.

--- Let's look at the facts.

Unless you are in a large linkshell, organized static group, or otherwise compensated through resorting to RMTing, you have to spend copious amounts of time grinding trade crafts to effectively be able to grind and repair. Not only that, you've no choice but to grind because, there's no content. Why, oh why, would you attempt to blackball the progress Yoshi P is making with this game? I'll tell you, and I don't mean it offensively; just laying the cold hard truth.

You are a troll IRL. You are likely a nasty individual who doesn't like his world being changed in anyway and depends on a griefing based game system where 90% of the populous quits leaving you among the 10% of "dominating players" ruling over your memorial to draconian MMORPG features such as grinding, punishment for playing the game etc.. So what if you can locate the NPC's? I'd take.....

Easy and a lot of fun quests over.... no quests and grinding 24/7 to level, any day.

Now, endgame dungeons? Should be challenging.

Endgame NM's, should be challenging.

PvP... should be challenging.


But leveling from 1-40 should be perfectly easy, with rails galore even, why? Cause I want people to womp on, or to play with, I don't care if they met my standards of humanity by grinding 7 jobs out pre-patch, I care that the game's fun, because, I don't like people to suffer or feel beneath me.


B.) Go Yoshi-P, make this game a real Final Fantasy game (cause it's not right now, not by a mile, several defining factors of the FF franchise are missing in this game that he's already planning to put in.) Ignore the terrible trolls who are calling for the grind fest to continue, and for more ladders; be intelligent, be successful and make FF a real monument to the years of creativity that made Squaresoft and SE so legendary.


C.) Nice try at an eloquent troll/grief post disguised as good intentions. Go peddle your @#$% somewhere else!


Thanks,


Temple Knight Sion


Trion,

Olo has been posting on here obviously longer than you...and has played this game since open beta...I think s/he and every other fan who feels the same as him/her, have a right to feel the way they feel :/
____________________________


"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
#53 Feb 18 2011 at 8:21 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,010 posts
Quote:
Trion,

Olo has been posting on here obviously longer than you...and has played this game since open beta...I think s/he and every other fan who feels the same as him/her, have a right to feel the way they feel :/


Of course - but you can't refute the fact that the minority isn't what will save this game and that was his point. Right now, you have the folks like me who are maintaining our multiple FFXI subs to thank for your game even still running at this point. It's certainly not running on its own revenue generation, and whatever they made back in those box sales is long gone. It's all about the almighty dollar, not being the niche of the niche cause we're ARTISTS and unique snowflakes! If this was SE's first try and they didn't have XI's revenue - it would be over. They would have had to shut down the servers.

The problem that I have with threads like this is it gives the impression that everything is ok in the game and all the planned changes to bring it into the standards of 2011 are going to destroy it. It's already on life support. It's already the laughing stock of the industry.

It NEEDS these changes. It needs to be turned around. Arguing against basic features is as good as saying you want the game to fail. Those who are its most steadfast supporters are in reality its weakest link.

#54 Feb 18 2011 at 8:33 PM Rating: Excellent
*
106 posts
To all the people saying this game needs more content: You're absolutely right. However, FFXIV is like a castle built on top a foundation of sand. There's little point in investing all your time and efforts into adding more towers when your entire structure is weak at its core. I'm pulling figures out of my *** but I don't think it is a long shot to say that WoW has as many subscribers as every other MMO on the market has put together. It's not because WoW does anything new or exciting - **** it's a 6 year old game that essentially recycles content over and over again. It's because WoW is built on a system that is incredibly easy to understand that people of all ages, new to online games or not, can jump right into; something that FFXI and now FFXIV still lack. But enough about WoW.

Auto-attack. In my most humble of opinions, this is needed. In fact, I don't see any reason for it NOT to be included. Granted, some of you may derive immense pleasure from hammering your 1 key into oblivion but for me it is an unnecessary hassle that actually detracts from the battle experience. I find no enjoyment in constantly pressing my basic attack on top of all of the other abilities that need to be used. Rather, it is more beneficial to not have to worry about the basic attack and focus more on communicating with party members (does anyone even remember what a battle regimen is?), moving around to get in/out of position, surveying the battlefield, etc. A lot of people during the alpha and beta, most of which were FFXI veterans, demanded a faster battle system and the current system is what we got. Hopefully SE will go with a compromise in which the stamina system is still in place with an auto attack that uses no stamina. Skills will require much greater stamina consumption (2-3 skills will deplete your bar completely) but still retaining the same stamina regeneration rate. The result is balanced battle gameplay where the player is using a skill every 5-10 seconds rather than every second. This eliminates both the slow combat of XI and the buttonmash fest of the current system.

Marking quest NPCs. I am against marking NPCs as it takes away from the immersion factor but honestly, there are people like me who talks to every NPC I see regardless of what they have to offer. There are people who don't bother with this at all and that's fine too. If putting a little marker next to an NPC name (similar to a LS emblem) helps players identify which NPCs offer quests I would not mind at all. It will not in anyway stop me from talking to every other NPC as well. I would much rather play an MMO where there marked NPCs and enough players to quest with than an MMO where there are unmarked NPCs and no one to play with. SE has already gone so far as to mark quest objectives on your map, adding in NPC markers would simply be icing on the cake.

Instances. Nothing I love more than open world bosses - running by and seeing a giant behemoth being engaged by a large group of players is always exhilarating even if one is not directly participating. The competition to claim said beasts are also fun as it adds a heightened sense of anticipation and makes victory all the sweeter. That being said, instances do have their place. FFXI had instances as well and I see no problems with adding a few instanced dungeons to the game. Instanced dungeons allow for potentially less lag and allows players and their group to focus without unneeded distraction from other players. Given what SE has done so far, I wouldn't be surprised if you need 1000 levepoints or some other ridiculous requirement to enter an instanced dungeon but that's neither here nor there.

TL;DR
The proposed changes, while almost certainly going to change the way the game plays, are needed should this game hope to become a successful MMO.







Edited, Feb 18th 2011 9:38pm by Redscare
#55 Feb 18 2011 at 8:44 PM Rating: Excellent
**
660 posts
Quote:
I think that people who love this game should have a greater voice at the table than people who badmouth it... but instead it seems like the opposite - and I know the haters will come out and say "well they need to get us people to play" and I would say NO - they need to get more people to play - but they should be reaching out to those who haven't already decided they hate everything about the game as it is.


I'm still going to say they don't really care about the players right now. They're looking forward to the big PS3 release that they hope will get better reviews and bring in more people. Right now no one is REALLY holding the game together because they're incurring a loss even if you don't log in. In fact, if you don't log in they save money on bandwidth costs with their ISP. So go ahead and quit and save them some $ in bandwidth.

Quote:
I know a lot of people voted for radical change in the first poll, but then again - most of the people who voted don't play. Truth be told, I am skeptical even half of them would EVER play this game again, even if Yoshi turns this game into the mutant child of WoW and XI that it looks like it is shaping up to be.


My guess is there are a lot more people who don't play the game than do. Why would a company hoping to turn a profit on a game work to keep players who aren't even paying yet? They are a business, not a charity, so I really don't think they care if you're here or not. They want the people who aren't playing, because there's a lot more of them then there are of steadfast supporters.

Quote:
One of the biggest reasons why I play and not WoW or Aion is because those are heavily instance/dungeon based and made it feel like a job when playing. FFXIV seems to be more community based. Although they made getting EXP and SP terrible in a 15 man party, the cool thing is that it's still possible.


I personally think instanced content should be a requirement for any MMO. The problem here is in an MMO everyone has to share the same space. This also means sharing the space with people who aren't exactly friendly toward you. Also, RMT botters. How "immersive" or "Final Fantasy-like" is it to be on a quest with a group and run up to the spawn area of a boss, only to find other people are currently fighting it! So you sit and watch and cheer them on, then wait until it respawns so you can fight that powerful and dramatic storyline battle that you just saw other people do. Then the next group has to wait on you. It's more like a theme park than a story, with people lined up to get onto a roller coaster. Is that Final Fantasy like?
One of the advantages to not having instances is bringing in a LS full of healers to heal your group outside of combat. That's gaming the system and instancing would make it MORE about skill and LESS about how big your LS is.
Also, RMT bots stealing your mobs that drop quest items.
TLDR: Instances are a good thing.

Quote:
However, the last letter from Yoshi-P has me feeling less confident than ever about the future. Things like marking quest NPCs (thereby taking the joy of discovery out of the game


How can this possibly be twisted into a bad thing? If you're so worried about immersion you can still turn off names as in the /names command. What is so terrible about marking which NPCs are worthwhile? Most people would get frustrated if they had to search through 1000 NPCs in a city to find just the right one to start a quest, or to give an item to. It's things like this that lead me to believe current FFXIV players are still hoping for FFXI-2 instead. I can't blame them, they were led into it like a lamb to the slaughter by SE marketing dept.

Quote:
Some things are necessary? Auto-attack isn't. Making it a heavily instanced/dungeon game isn't.

FF series has been always unique and I loved it for being how it is. It's extremely awesome now and all they need to do is add content and feature. I know of many who will agree.

Also, with the possibilities, it's turning into another normal MMO. Tell me, why should I play FFXIV if it will be almost the same as any other?

FFXIV is unique and special and I love it. I'm just saying, I hope they don't turn it into something like a WoW clone


The problem here is that a game company can't survive on a "unique" MMO that no one's interested in. Right now no one who isn't a die-hard FF fan is interested in this game. They NEED to change it to bring in a bigger audience, because the bills won't pay themselves here. They've conceded this probably won't happen until the PS3 release.

Quote:
Honestly if they turned this game in to a clone of FFXI with a new story and quick paced combat, it would be everything I need. I don't even need improved graphics. I wish game companies would remember that part, it seems like its graphics above all these days.


In my opinion this is what's killing the game. There's a large population of players who won't rest until we have FFXI-2 instead of FFXIV. Here's why I quit FFXI:
Counter-intuitive quest log
No in-game direction of what stats do and how they are important to your job
Gil was a terrible chore to obtain and quickly ramped in difficulty as you levelled up
Forced grouping at level 10 in an area with near level 30 mobs (the infamous "dunes" turned off a large amount of players)
Major class balance issues (RNG nerf, SAM buff, etc)
Bugs that weren't fixed for years and some that still exist today
Harsh EXP loss led to a community with elitist attitudes due to how precious it was (level down and you suffer bad)
Having to exploit flaws in game design to level (BLM)
Pidgeonholing of certain jobs into very specific roles (You have MP? Cure bot)
Quests that required travel with no convenient way of travelling

There's many more but I want to get this post over with. FFXI has and had major problems. Some people call this the "character" of the game, but I'm inclined to believe this is some kind of MMO Stockholm's syndrome where people are defending it because it's so difficult, they don't want to feel stupid for not being able to make progress in the game. The game hates you, and you don't want to feel bad so you love it - as if it's testing you and trying to make you better. It's not, it hates you and it wants to abuse you. Apparently, it's done a good job. Smart people have ended their relationship with that terrible game, but some people cling to it like an abused spouse (and will aggressively defend it).

Me? I'll be watching FFXIV, hoping to see it improve to the point where it piques my interest. If it doesn't, then I'm not losing anything and will most likely look elsewhere for something to waste my time with.

Edited, Feb 18th 2011 9:49pm by reptiletim
____________________________


#56 Feb 18 2011 at 8:45 PM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
The way I see it....

This is WoW:

Screenshot


This is what a WoW clone looks like:

Screenshot


And this:

Screenshot


And this

Screenshot


So long as this:

Screenshot

Continues to not look like this:

Screenshot

or this

Screenshot

then I really couldn't care less what they need to put in the game to make it fun for me to play again.


Whats the difference besides it's prettier ?
____________________________
MUTED
#57 Feb 18 2011 at 8:49 PM Rating: Decent
*
112 posts
Everyone back to FFXI, lol 5 bucks on sale right now and we started a new LS for new or returning players on titan server, see you there in the next few months since everyone knows this game was the only one that hand a chance of killing FFXI and it failed so come on back.
____________________________


#58 Feb 18 2011 at 9:02 PM Rating: Decent
**
845 posts
I've quit this game and I have come back. I am enjoying the game some since I've come back. Maybe you should take a little break.
____________________________

#59 Feb 18 2011 at 9:13 PM Rating: Decent
*
121 posts
easy fix to this game its really simple you take FFXI and wrap it with 14's pretty skin and BINGO a game i could live with lol :P
____________________________
[ffxisig]91788[/ffxisig]
MEREE SMN Build http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?91788
#60 Feb 18 2011 at 9:37 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
787 posts
I want to see them totally toss out the magic system & magic classes and bring back something that resembles a Final Fantasy magic systems. I didn't like how they tried to cram it all together into two odd hybrid type mages. It was a real turn off.
#61 Feb 18 2011 at 9:39 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
787 posts
elevencharle wrote:
Everyone back to FFXI, lol 5 bucks on sale right now and we started a new LS for new or returning players on titan server, see you there in the next few months since everyone knows this game was the only one that hand a chance of killing FFXI and it failed so come on back.


That might not be a bad idea. Start out fresh with a clean slate.
#62 Feb 18 2011 at 11:46 PM Rating: Excellent
**
660 posts
My friend just showed me what FFXI has become so far. I'm honestly shocked. I'm in awe really. Several points I made in my post earlier have been addressed. Mage jobs are more than cure bots now. Good skillups and steady exp gain. Possibility of solo levelling. Job emotes. Several other things too.

I hate to say it but yea, seems XIV hasn't been able to hold a candle to its predecessor. How unfortunate..
____________________________


#63 Feb 18 2011 at 11:50 PM Rating: Excellent
**
429 posts
For me, it's not the mechanics that make the MMO, it's the story and community. If it means having to modify the core of the game in order to deliver me the game's world, then I'm all for it.
#64 Feb 18 2011 at 11:57 PM Rating: Excellent
*
120 posts
Olorinus the Vile wrote:
Well, as many of you know I've been a pretty staunch supporter for this game in general, all the way back since open beta. And truly, other than a lack of story-based content, I genuinely enjoy this game.

However, the last letter from Yoshi-P has me feeling less confident than ever about the future. Things like marking quest NPCs (thereby taking the joy of discovery out of the game), the hint of things being heavily instanced, the possible scrapping of skill point allotment, and the possible addition of auto-attack, all combine to leave me thinking I should just quit and go back to XI or WoW now, before I get any more invested in my character.

I know a lot of people voted for radical change in the first poll, but then again - most of the people who voted don't play. Truth be told, I am skeptical even half of them would EVER play this game again, even if Yoshi turns this game into the mutant child of WoW and XI that it looks like it is shaping up to be.

So meanwhile, players like me, that genuinely enjoy the game as it is, are supposed to not care if they scrap everything we like about it? Yeah I know some people will come on here and call me down for liking the game as is, but whatever. There is no accounting for taste - we all like different things - that shouldn't be a point of contention.

Yoshi promised that we wouldn't lose any of our progress - but if they change things so much that what we invested in doesn't work the same at all -- like if they made conjurer into a white mage - and I got to keep my ranks but lost all the skills that I ranked up the class TO GET... well it is almost the same as wiping you. Keeping ranks alone doesn't cut it. I've ranked up a lot of jobs not for the job but for the cross-classable skills. If all of the sudden I can't cross class those skills - or those skills are on a different class - or they are totally gimped by new restrictions - I am losing what I worked for.

So yeah, I admit it. I am totally depressed about this game. I had high hopes for it but I am starting to think I would be better off letting go now, before they ruin everything I like about this game - before they mess up my character and take away my skills - or replace the combat I enjoy with an auto-attack snooze-fest.

That, and the fact that we are still waiting to hear when the content patch is... well I am tired of it - tired of being taken for granted - because although I haven't paid a monthly fee yet, my time is a currency in itself - and without the people that are currently playing - even for free - SE WOULD HAVE NOTHING - NO HOPE FOR THIS GAME - yet the people who are actually holding this game together - and GIVING NEW PLAYERS A REASON TO BUY THE BOX are being treated like mushrooms - kept in the dark and fed bullsh1t.

I think that people who love this game should have a greater voice at the table than people who badmouth it... but instead it seems like the opposite - and I know the haters will come out and say "well they need to get us people to play" and I would say NO - they need to get more people to play - but they should be reaching out to those who haven't already decided they hate everything about the game as it is.

What this game needs is not to get pulled apart - NO! It is a waste of dev time. It needs content. Content! Content! Them wasting time adding auto-attack will do nothing to draw new people in. It will do nothing to keep existing players like myself.

I'm feeling less confident about the future of XIV.


Though I feel for you, drastic changes need to happen. I think they are thinking long term. If the game stays the same, in like a year it will die. The game is NOT fun for a lot of people and you gotta see why. I like the game only because I've put so much time in it.
#65 Feb 19 2011 at 12:06 AM Rating: Decent
*
93 posts
Just gonna toss a few things out one the game has only been out for 5 months another most people hit physical level 50 in a month due to stupid high exp gains physical level is so meaningless I'd rather have the stat/skill system FF11 had it was way more in depth.

Now for auto-attack big deal atleast you can spend more time forming a plan of attack instead of spamming the 11111 key to build tp which happens way to fast anyways. I am all for the changes go Yoshi-P! you are relighting my desire to play FF14 again.
#66 Feb 19 2011 at 4:57 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
Quote:
If he really wants to gather informations from the players he has to be sure that those infos are coming from peaple that are actually playing... something like the private forum that we had back in closed beta would be great.


Great idea. So to improve the game to a level where a lot of people want to play it,
we ask the remeining hardcore nerds, power-grinders and crafting monopolists how to
do it.

-.-/

I think my intestines just started twitching.
I'm not sure whether to laugh or to vomit.
Oh well, we'll see.
#67 Feb 19 2011 at 5:47 AM Rating: Good
***
3,416 posts
From where I stand, few things have piqued my concerns, while others have left me content with the future.

For one, the speed of updates so far. While the lack of quantity of the 1.15a patch can be easily explained with the fact that the development basically "restarted" with the new management, and that it takes a while to get the ball rolling, I am no longer making excuses for the dev team at this point. I did it for the past year, and that was enough of a disappointment for me. I hope they prove me wrong, yet I don't expect it any longer. However, I have no problem with Yoshida making the patches so that every month there is one larger patch and a smaller one, instead of having two mid-sized patches every two weeks- I think the current way will lead to a more efficient workflow. Even then, in that light the 1.15a was not an acceptable patch to lead us through the whole February. If there had been two patches of the same size, I would have had no problem with it. One can hope that they will pick up the pace in March and beyond.

Secondly, the fact that Yoshida is a firm believer of making the game suitable mainly for group players is making me very interested in the game again. I am also very certain that most of the people who voted in the Combat poll have chosen to want to group most of the time, instead of gravitating towards the options catering to soloers. As Yoshida has proven to listen to the results of the poll in the past (AH and quests received the most votes- and those were and are about to be implemented first) I think in this respect I will be able to like the game once all is said and done.

However, some of the changes leave me still concerned about what Yoshida is about to do. For example, I am down for some combat overhauls, but the current plans leave me to question the reasons behind them. Auto-attack, to name one of the upcoming changes, is something I can't grasp. What are they possibly trying to accomplish with this change? Currently I can see two things happening:

1) Auto-attack replaces us pressing buttons, leaves our hands free to chat and not play the game in general. Skills, TP gain and so on remain unaffected. Former XI players will like, masses will think of it as a poor excuse to make the gameplay uninvolving when there are other options like voice chat.

2) Skills are changed to replace the use of basic attacks, gameplay becomes much more similar to any other MMO out there. You still can't communicate any better because the overall pace of gameplay hasn't changed.

How are either of these things changes for the better? Is the game suddenly better if it becomes like any other MMO? That sounds disastrous. It's like playing WoW when the servers are in Japan. Have fun with your 400ping. Maybe they can pull off something better than the two options described above, but like said above, I don't give them the benefit of the doubt anymore.

Secondly, the use of heavy instancing. First you made the game open world, heavily limiting the gameplay and what can be done with it (because the servers need to be able to handle hundreds of players at once). Now you decide to instance most of the game? So as the end result we get a game like Monster Hunter, with hubs and instances, yet the gameplay is your ordinary MMO gameplay- except with us getting stuck on the ground with every skill we do, the high ping, and other lacking features that other games possess. If you make a game with an open world, use it to your advantage. All I see from this change is that I should be looking out for the next Monster Hunter, as at least the gameplay is acceptable for that sort of game.

Changes to class names- lots of work, to accomplish what? You **** off those who liked the existing class names, you cater to those who liked the old class names. The opposite of current status-quo (except for the fact that those people who like the class names are most likely playing the game now as opposed to those who don't). It's like nothing changes, they just **** off different people than before.

It's not all bad, though. I like the fact that they are splitting the parties to two different sizes. There should be, in my opinion, an optimal party size because if the bonuses keep stacking up to 15, every group will want to have 15 members and it's extremely difficult to make that kind of gameplay challenging. With lower numbers, balancing is easier and it gives each player a bigger role than before.

On top of this, I am glad that they have started to realize that many vs. many encounters is what this game can excell in. I am glad that they are building the game around this concept. I just hope that they are not going to remove some of the aspects of gameplay that would make this kind of combat even better, like positioning and such.

Character Jump- to achieve what exactly? They would have to get rid of the invisible walls, which is a good thing in itself, but why is more than that necessary? The world has been built with no need for jumping in mind, and there aren't really that many places where you could make good use of a jumping feature.

I'm happy that they are getting rid of character collision. I've heard that it is quite of a resource hog. I also don't mind things like showing NPC's with quests at all, as long as the feature isn't copied 1:1 from "other games". That has always irked me so much.

So, to wrap it up, there are many drastic changes that I like and many that I don't see much point in. I'm not sure if I will like the end result, and it can go both ways at this point. Still, I am happy that SE is giving this game so much attention and that the ship is moving- however, if it's moving towards the high seas and storms or back to the shore to pick up more passengers will be seen.

ib4 rate down for expressing my opinion. I would gladly discuss all this however.

Edited, Feb 19th 2011 3:16pm by Hyanmen
____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#68 Feb 19 2011 at 6:10 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
19 posts
Forgive me if this has already been said, but as far as the dedicated core you speak of who is holding this game together...wouldn't that be the Japanese players? I tend to play late into the night and that's when the game seems to be the busiest. There are people everywhere (except Gridania) and they are mostly Japanese.

I just don't see how the fate of this game really rests on it's North American player base, and I don't see how a failure to capture the hearts and minds of the American MMO player constitutes a failure for the game if it is still thriving overseas. I could be wrong/misinformed, so please enlighten me if so!

Edited, Feb 19th 2011 7:11am by shodty
#69 Feb 19 2011 at 6:23 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
Hm. I believe to remember that we actually are in the minority this time - when compared
to the rest of the world (you know, the world is roughly split in two parts. Japan, and...
well, the "remainder". The rest. Actually, there were quite a few disgruntled players on
the (Japanese) 2ch forums that complained that SE catered too much to "western" tastes.
Me being one of those, hahaha!

Nono, SE needs the US/Europe market just as much as the local one this time around. FFXIV
was far from being well-received in Japan as well.
#70 Feb 19 2011 at 6:30 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
19 posts
good to know, appreciate the reply!
#71 Feb 19 2011 at 6:31 AM Rating: Default
***
3,416 posts
Quote:
I just don't see how the fate of this game really rests on it's North American player base, and I don't see how a failure to capture the hearts and minds of the American MMO player constitutes a failure for the game if it is still thriving overseas.


Well, we see what the West thinks about Aion. It has something like, 3 million Korean players? We still consider it a failure.
____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#72 Feb 19 2011 at 6:40 AM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
shodty wrote:
Forgive me if this has already been said, but as far as the dedicated core you speak of who is holding this game together...wouldn't that be the Japanese players? I tend to play late into the night and that's when the game seems to be the busiest. There are people everywhere (except Gridania) and they are mostly Japanese.

I just don't see how the fate of this game really rests on it's North American player base, and I don't see how a failure to capture the hearts and minds of the American MMO player constitutes a failure for the game if it is still thriving overseas. I could be wrong/misinformed, so please enlighten me if so!

Edited, Feb 19th 2011 7:11am by shodty


Lets see, first off, both the EU and US outsold the ***, the game sold twice as much in USA than in ***, secondly this is not the 90's where you could survive with 20-100k players, because the cost to develop games back then, was still relatively cheap, just to develop the engine for this game, was a very very high price, that's w/o counting everything else that goes into the game, there is also the fact that this game lost 80% of its population, they need to get them back, so advertising is key(and expensive) and this game is bleeding money every second right now, so IMO they need to focus on gaining back both the EU/US population to really turn the ship around.

Now that wont be easy, since SE developing mind, is still stuck in 1998, but hey it can happen :P
____________________________
MUTED
#73 Feb 19 2011 at 6:51 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
19 posts
Yikes! I hope they can turn it around 'cuz I enjoy the heck out of this game, even given it's current flaws and incomplete state.

I figure patience is the key in seeing where things will go from here.
#74 Feb 19 2011 at 7:05 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
513 posts
@OP

You should be more worried for the game if it didn't change drastically. Look around you, the game is dead! Every LS is swamped with inactives and the markets are inefficient. SE can't just keep things the way they are and expect a turnaround. Very few games in the history of MMOs have ever recovered from a bad launch and drastic measures are needed to even have a shot.

TrionValere wrote:

Point and fact, no one cares about leveling in the modern MMORPGamer world, and the sooner that SE realizes that keeping draconian values around and passing up on the conveniences that westernized MMORPGS provide, the better for FFXIV.

Then perhaps the modern MMORPGamer isn't actually into MMORPGs? Experience levels in one form or another are at the core of the RPG archetype and taking it away would turn it into something else. Look at Team Fortress 2, no levels there! You start at cap, no grinding needed! Is that what you think is the future of MMORPGs? It can't be, because TF2 is an FPS, not an MMORPG.


Edited, Feb 19th 2011 8:15am by Omena
____________________________
#75 Feb 19 2011 at 7:17 AM Rating: Decent
16 posts


Oh,



I've played since Beta, and I have also played every Final Fantasy available to the NA market at launch (aside from 1 considering I was a bit young.), this includes FFXI.


He has a right to say what he wants, but, I'm just rather sick of the message that the trolls who stayed behind try to send to the Dev's and that's "Leave most of XIV alone so I can feel like a giant cause I reached physical level 50 and leveled 5 jobs, I don't wanna look weak when they take physical levels off".


That's all..
#76 Feb 19 2011 at 7:18 AM Rating: Decent
***
3,416 posts
Quote:
Then perhaps the modern MMORPGamer isn't actually into MMORPGs?


I'm not sure if this is a sarcastic comment, but that's absolutely the case. Gamers are looking for good and convenient gameplay in a multiplayer setting, something that modern MMO's can not pull off properly, yet they try to anyway.

Quote:
Look at Team Fortress 2, no levels there! You start at cap, no grinding needed! Is that what you think is the future of MMORPGs?


I think Monster Hunter would be a better example. You basically start at "endgame" and do not have to deal with the leveling process, which is not that interesting at the end of the day, at least when compared to what endgame can offer. MH has better gameplay in general because of this. They don't have to worry about the servers not being able to handle hundreds of players at once, as everything is instanced. That leaves more room to improve the gameplay, as well as makes the game more convenient to the players, so it's a win/win for the modern MMO gamer.
____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#77 Feb 19 2011 at 7:27 AM Rating: Excellent
*****
16,959 posts
Omena wrote:
@OP

You should be more worried for the game if it didn't change drastically. Look around you, the game is dead! Every LS is swamped with inactives and the markets are inefficient. SE can't just keep things the way they are and expect a turnaround.
Or, perhaps players aren't playing because there's nothing to do aside from rank up and do leve quests.

You have to admit it's also a very viable reason.
____________________________
MyAnimeList FFXIV Krystal Spoonless
#78 Feb 19 2011 at 7:45 AM Rating: Excellent
*
174 posts
I actually voted for an addition of auto attack - as I think button spamming the basic attack is totally not required and is currently detrimental to how the Battle Regimen system works.

If my friend and I are duoing and decide we want to do a BR, we both have to stop attacking, queue the attacks, fire the BR, then we can continue attacking. This process takes 4-10 seconds depending on lag and other persons reactions - we don;t all use vent and in 2011 a game to not ship with a voice chat protocol is pretty shocking.

Auto attack would remove the down time from Battle Regimens and the pointless spam of basic attack to build tp. FFXI had auto attack, all the melee had to do in effect was watch TP and fire of skill chains.

The fact we have several basic attacks - light thrust, heavy thrust and full thrust to use lancer as example, makes me suggest we may actually get to choose what action is performed as an auto attack. If that were the case, the system changes nothing detrimentally. It just stops you spamming a crap tp building attack that you would anyway.

For those of you enjoying stamina management, I honestly have to say that aspect never applies to lancers. With Speed Surge and then with Speed Surge 2 my stam bar never runs out. I also use invigorate II for mad tp gain and am constantly firing WS's off. Also, none of us know how these changes will be implemented. They may well keep the stamina system, but just give players the option of nominating one of their basic attacks to be an auto attack

I really do not see how an auto attack is going to be the game breaker you are thinking it will be, for me it will actually be a very welcome addition. Removing a RSI inducing aspect from the game is hardly a bad thing in my opinion. As someone who has now been gaming for many many years, these factors are now becoming a consideration to me. I played DCUO for one week and had to stop, not because I did not like the game or content, but the constant mouse clicks and holds would have ruined my fingers within months. Something the younger generation probably do not even consider!! Not aiming that comment at the OP btw.

I actually do agree with you and do take your point about class skill changes - and I agree any major change their could be seen as ruining a character and goals you have aimed for. But dude - seriously - something drastic HAS to be done to the class and skill system - they are SOOO bland and generic it is unreal.

Name one chief difference between a Marauder and a Lancer - there is NONE. I play my marauder and lancer EXACTLY the same, they both have the exact same abilities equipped. The ONLY difference is that marauder cannot use Speed Surge. WTF so Lancer is a Maruder with a spear and vice versa. Apart from the fact one has an axe the other a spear - there is sod all difference between them. At first I thought this "flexibile" system was fantastic until the truth dawned on me, it is an illusion of flexibility. So many of the abilities are either crappy and pointless they are never equipped, or are for situational group fights (collusion for example to help transfer hate to tank) no one uses them. Even if it were used, once the skill has been unlocked, any job can collusion onto tank. So instead of a situation where PT will only want RDM for example, PT will say these skills or GTFO!!! (Possibly havne't explained that well but I hope you see what i'm trying to say).

I couldn't agree more that this game needs content and that should be their main focus. Changes to the Battle System and actions should come later. But I do not think those changes are going to be the game "breaker" you think they will be - I really think quite the opposite and fully welcome and support them (if they are done correctly and are not ruinous).

All I want is for some actual class definition and proper roles to be introduced - the game is pretty mindless and very bland as it currently stands

Edited, Feb 19th 2011 8:47am by MisterGaribaldi
____________________________


#79 Feb 19 2011 at 7:56 AM Rating: Decent
**
821 posts
I started FFXIV 2 weeks after the official release(because I initially wanted to start with the PS3 version...I guess thank god I didn't wait...)and I'm still playing and I enjoy it.

I couldn't really care less about stuff like "Auto Attack", or "marked Quest NPCs"...

Back in FFXI I was looking up the quests on ZAM or MysteryTour...now I'll just see if an NPC has a quest or not...I agree this is not the best choice IMO...cause it just looks dumb to see an NPC with a mark above his head...but what if its a subtle mark? Like if you target an NPC and see the parley mark?

When Yoshi speaks of "marked quest NPCs" the first thing that comes to mind is big Exclamation or Question Marks above the NPC head...I wholeheartedly believe...this won't be the case in FFXIV...I think its gonna be something subtle like the parley mark.

Auto Attack...its a good thing...no matter how much you think the Battle System is good(and I think its ok, doesnt need lots of changes) I'm so for an Auto Attack. I'm playing as a Tank and I want fights to be more challenging then to focus on "Standard Attack" to get enough TP to do use my tanking skills and hit "Deflection, Sentinel, Aegis Boon etc" every 60seconds...right now tanking is fun, but the way you tank is boring as ****...it needs more "diversity".

This brings me to the main thing I adress in FFXIV. Class Uniqueness. Its the most important thing to me right now in the game, except for Content in general. I'm fine with pretty much everything the game is right now or the things that are planned to change in the future, but Class Uniqueness is my top priority right now.

Content will come...and Content will be good, I'm pretty sure of that...I'm willing to wait for as long as it takes.

And the next BIC concern for me is "Groups consisting of 8ppl"...I can see the benefit of 8ppl groups for Dungeons and stuff...but if Yoshi really wants to have 8ppl for Endgame stuff...this is gonna be so **** ****** up for me...8ppl is nice for casual groups or groups of friends...but I like playing in large groups of 15+ ppl. For me the 15man PT was pretty much the lowest possible for me to like it. I'd rather prefer the old 3PT/18man Alliance from FFXI. But I'll wait whats gonna come with that...but if most endgame stuff will really be made for 8person groups...thats gonna suck big time for me-_-
#80 Feb 19 2011 at 8:04 AM Rating: Decent
***
3,416 posts
Quote:
but if Yoshi really wants to have 8ppl for Endgame stuff...this is gonna be so **** @#%^ed up for me...8ppl is nice for casual groups or groups of friends...but I like playing in large groups of 15+ ppl. For me the 15man PT was pretty much the lowest possible for me to like it.


I myself loved low-manning events and such. Especially Salvage where I went with 5-9 people usually was the perfect balance for me. Everyone had a role, and I didn't feel like I was part of a mass trying to zerg something. Especially when you got better and could do the same thing with 4 people that needed 9 before (and could split your group to half as the result), that was absolutely amazing.

It was also much easier task to manage as a leader. Something that I hope Yoshida keeps in mind...
____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#81 Feb 19 2011 at 9:08 AM Rating: Decent
*
63 posts
Rinsui wrote:
Quote:
If he really wants to gather informations from the players he has to be sure that those infos are coming from peaple that are actually playing... something like the private forum that we had back in closed beta would be great.


Great idea. So to improve the game to a level where a lot of people want to play it,
we ask the remeining hardcore nerds, power-grinders and crafting monopolists how to
do it.

-.-/

I think my intestines just started twitching.
I'm not sure whether to laugh or to vomit.
Oh well, we'll see.


Posts like this makes me think i'm right, you clearely aren't playing now, or you would know the game isn't grindy anymore, yet you feel free to say you want it even easier.

Btw what i meant is that you have to play and understand a game in order to make constructive criticism

Edited, Feb 19th 2011 10:11am by alcide
____________________________


#82 Feb 19 2011 at 9:35 AM Rating: Excellent
**
660 posts
There's some valid points beinng tossed around in this thread, but for me playing FFXIV is like Groundhog Day every day. I log in, take the same crappy leves, kill the same crappy mobs, and log out. I realize there's behest and grinding, but it's all more of the same just with a different dressing. In the end you go sleep then wake up and do it all again. It's just not big enough to be fun yet. They need more content!
____________________________


#83 Feb 19 2011 at 9:46 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
Quote:
Posts like this makes me think i'm right, you clearely aren't playing now, or you would know the game isn't grindy anymore, yet you feel free to say you want it even easier.

Btw what i meant is that you have to play and understand a game in order to make constructive criticism

I do play - not a lot; in fact, only 3 times since the last patch was released.
However, to ask those who still play the game a lot is nonsense, for they may
consider what they play "appropriate" to keep them playing a lot. Now we've already
established that the game, at it's current state, is not "appropriate" for a lot
of people. If you ask only those who play (frequently), you run the danger of
changing the wrong things (those that the few remaining players consider
inappropriate for their definition of enjoyment - which is not the definition
the majority of potential players adhere to.

More politely phrased.

I tried to convey what I want to say with less words -> sorry for being impolite.
#84 Feb 19 2011 at 10:01 AM Rating: Default
*
63 posts
Rinsui wrote:

If you ask only those who play (frequently), you run the danger of
changing the wrong things (those that the few remaining players consider
inappropriate for their definition of enjoyment - which is not the definition
the majority of potential players adhere to.


I really doubt this is the case, everyone knows this game needs a lot of changes, even we that play a lot, but those that have come to understand the game can give better criticism. Let's take Battle Regimen in exemple, everyone thought it was broken and everyone wanted it to be scrapped, me included, until i reached rank 35 and I was forced to use it, then I understood how it works and I use it against all the NMs and i find it great and so much better then skillchains, cause it's easier to do but requires more cooperation with other players.
So, since i understood how it works i say "it still ain't perfect, but it has potential, improve it" those that gave up at the beginning are just sayin "Battle Regimen isn't working, scrap it".
____________________________


#85Ggrab, Posted: Feb 19 2011 at 10:17 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) you should check out "DC universe online" it all about endgame & raid
#86 Feb 19 2011 at 10:24 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
25 posts
I played back in open beta and bought the CE, only to play the game for around two months. Honestly it didn't really offer much variety, and the only things to do were grind leves, grind the same few monsters, and craft, which to my knowledge hasn't changed besides the introduction of NM's. I paid $80 for the CE under the impression that this game *wouldn't* become a WoW clone, because it was riddled with bugs and major design problems, but I felt that the game had a lot of potential and took a creative and refreshing step in the right direction.

A few months forward and they've barely done anything besides address minor issues, touch up the UI, adjust XP/SP, and add NM's, but for a PvE based game, there's really not a whole lot of PvE right now. Now I'm looking at the future WoW-esque changes planned, and I'm very unhappy that I even bought this game, I feel betrayed to put it simply, because I bought this game under the assumption that it would take new direction, not attempt to do this and then try to change everything to be more like WoW *after* release. Pretty much the only thing they've given people to look forward to, are dungeons/raids, possible addition of new classes, and perhaps the new quests. However, if the game transforms into a standardized MMO in the process it's just a lost cause. The entire point of introducing new systems different from that of other games was so that they could be improved upon and refined, not scrapped after release and made to resemble the systems in every other MMO.

My problem with this game has always been that there's really not much to do, and since there's not going to be PvP in this game I really hope they explore new options for PvE endgame besides "gear grind" or being forced to repeat the early grind to level up other classes just because there's nothing else to do. Making everything look pretty doesn't make it good or fun to do, nor will it cover up design flaws.
#87 Feb 19 2011 at 10:25 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
513 posts
Ggrab wrote:
you should check out "DC universe online" it all about endgame & raid

it a shining light in this wow clone mmorpg market we live in today

How is that not exactly like WoW and all its clones? Quick easy mode leveling to cap where the actual game begins.
____________________________
#88 Feb 19 2011 at 10:58 AM Rating: Good
Sage
**
447 posts
I'm not as pessimistic as you are about the game, Lux, but I do agree that players playing the game could be marginalized by these polls.

Everyone understands the importance in surveying *all potential* players, not just the 10K who are playing actively, in order to be diligent in conducting research and conducting feedback.

Given that we have to log in before filling out the survey, hopefully they're somehow weighting "who's playing" vs. "who's not playing" in their analysis. Who knows, but it's definitely possible for them to do.

I don't think they're going to completely alienate us, but time will tell.
____________________________
Djigga, please. Highland Hyurs can't jump.

#89 Feb 19 2011 at 11:11 AM Rating: Excellent
Just wanted to add that doing away with phys exp really annoyed me. All that time invested lol. Well im still playing and hoping that they don;t just hand this over to the people that wont play or the people that just joined because they have a different experience of this game.
____________________________
Esuna Forums

#90 Feb 19 2011 at 11:14 AM Rating: Good
***
1,636 posts
Omena wrote:
Ggrab wrote:
you should check out "DC universe online" it all about endgame & raid

it a shining light in this wow clone mmorpg market we live in today

How is that not exactly like WoW and all its clones? Quick easy mode leveling to cap where the actual game begins.


You can make the argument that any MMO is a "wow clone". Much like any platformer is a "mario clone" and any shooter is a "Doom/Halo/Call of duty clone"
____________________________


#91 Feb 19 2011 at 11:28 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
597 posts
Quote:
Things like marking quest NPCs (thereby taking the joy of discovery out of the game)


IMO, it was never there. How many of us had quest information open on a laptop next to us (or in another window, if we were using the Windower), or had a Brady Guide sitting next to us, or even wrote down the approximate location of NPCs/mobs/???s before logging in while we were playing FFXI? I would imagine enough of us to justify the inclusion of marking quests. Let's be honest here: how many of us here REALLY figured out how to do the chocobo license quest on our own? Or any other quest, for that matter.

TV Tropes wrote:
# Guide Dang It: So many quests are insanely difficult to do, or even know about, without using the internet. Quest givers are unlabeled, the steps are vague, the in-game quest log doesn't update with progress beyond initial opening and completion, and the rewards are usually unmentioned. Considering how many of the quests are all but required (Chocobo License, Advanced and Sub Jobs), checking the fan wiki or other guides is required.

* For perspective as to how bad this can be, there is a quest where you are asked to bring an item to the quest giver. To be extra clear, he literally asks for an "item," but doesn't elaborate further.


Clearly, this is top-notch quest design.

Quote:
the hint of things being heavily instanced


While I'll agree that the idea of SE adding WoW-style lootholes into the game for people to grind turns me off, I can see the potential in instances as a concept to deliver better missions that would resemble the offline games in terms of pacing and storytelling, with more intense battles and some epic boss fights to be had. I think certain things would be considerably more difficult, if not impossible, to implement in the open world without stretching and snapping suspension of disbelief like a bungee cord.

Quote:
the possible addition of auto-attack


Selecting Light Strike every time you want to make a basic attack on your PUG is not thrilling and engaging gameplay; it's tedious, and should be automatic. Though I think the real problem is that players need more abilities to play with that have interesting effects, so while auto-attack will remove the tedium, it won't ultimately solve the problem.

Quote:
I think it is crazy to believe SE can alienate those who are still playing this game and hope to succeed. MMOs are primarily social in nature, and I promise that alienating the people who have stuck with this game won't bring in more subscribers. They won't just lose the people playing - they will lose all the people that those people tell about what a crummy game it has become... and all the people that those players would have invited to play etc.


You're assuming that, because people have stuck with this game, that they're just like you, and enjoy the game as it is. What about the folks who went to play other games, but are keeping an eye on this one to see if/how it turns things around? What about folks who are on the fence? What about people who don't particularly like the game atm but still actively play because they think the turn-around is forthcoming? Their opinions matter too, and I'd say they were alienated long before you ever were.

Even then, you still have the rest of the gaming community to convince that people should actually buy the game. Right now, other gamers are actively convincing people interested in this game to avoid it at all costs because of its sub-par quality. I went into a Gamestop last night to purchase this game and walked out with DCUO. Why? Because the people working there actually gave a **** about me not wasting my money--which they got either way--on a terrible product. In fact, they were so zealous in this regard that they'd previously attempted to recall all remaining copies on their shelves (they had seemingly missed one).

BTW, DCUO is pretty **** fun right now.
____________________________
WoW - Andorhal
Darkkiwi - 85 Gnome Unholy Death Knight - <Flaming Bunnies>
Lightkiwi - 72 Gnome Disc Priest - <Flaming Bunnies>
Kwanita - 82 Gnome Frost Mage - <Flaming Bunnies>
Maglyn - 81 Gnome Protection Warrior - <Flaming Bunnies>


Don't play that game anymore. :P
#92 Feb 19 2011 at 11:32 AM Rating: Default
44 posts
The OP echoes my thoughts exactly. I have felt nothing but a lack of direction since the change in development teams.

I don't feel confident with someone who has no vision of their own and merely asks what the majority want. I had a long discussion about this exact topic last night to a close friend and he felt the same way I do. We'll see, I'll get one class to 50 and then re-evaluate my stance. Only three levels to go though.
#93 Feb 19 2011 at 12:20 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*
235 posts
Quote:
Auto-attack replaces us pressing buttons, leaves our hands free to chat and not play the game in general


auto attack only replaces normal attacks. You still have plenty to do without having to manually do them yourself. This is a game a lot of us will be playing for years and years. I really don't feel like having to press a button every single time I want to use a normal attack, it gets old fast and really is adding no strategy.
____________________________


#94 Feb 19 2011 at 12:22 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
513 posts
KujaKoF wrote:
Omena wrote:
Ggrab wrote:
you should check out "DC universe online" it all about endgame & raid

it a shining light in this wow clone mmorpg market we live in today

How is that not exactly like WoW and all its clones? Quick easy mode leveling to cap where the actual game begins.


You can make the argument that any MMO is a "wow clone". Much like any platformer is a "mario clone" and any shooter is a "Doom/Halo/Call of duty clone"

Doom, Halo and CoD are all FPS games but completely different in feel and gameplay. They are not clones of each other. Likewise, games like FFXI, AO and EQ are nothing like WoW as a game experience, while games like Warhammer Online, LotRO and the upcoming Rift have gameplay and pacing very similar to WoW and could be considered clones.
____________________________
#95 Feb 19 2011 at 1:23 PM Rating: Good
**
435 posts
Olorinus the Vile wrote:
I'm feeling less confident about the future of XIV.


I'm still optimistic. I think Yoshi-P has potential. If you look at all the stuff he's doing, he's REALLY ramping things up right now.

Remember though, that he's as of yet still fixing the broken parts of the game, parts that NEEDED to be fixed before the game could grow any further. You need a good base to stand on before you can build up and, with the current system, we just didn't have that.

Cross-class skills mean that class identity is nil, the bonus point system is a mess that only serves to defeat the purpose of the armory system by taking away the freedom it grants, gear is questionable as it is now, since the armory system would demand different types of gear for different classes and the battle system is largely too loose, laggy and unreliable.

But he's looking into fixing ALL of those so I have hope for the game.

Remember this, SE isn't trying to keep the people who are playing now playing, as they've proven that they'll play no matter what. They're trying to figure out what it'll take to bring other players back to the game.

Also, quest marked NPCs and instances are just good design, and WoW was NOT the first MMO to use them, either.
____________________________

#96 Feb 19 2011 at 1:25 PM Rating: Good
*
174 posts
Ggrab wrote:
you should check out "DC universe online" it all about endgame & raid

it a shining light in this wow clone mmorpg market we live in today


The damnation of that game will be it's control mechanism.

Played the game for a week and loved it, however my finger could not take the beating.

Multiple clicks (10 clicks) to perform weapon combo mutiplied by many hours of play = guaranteed RSI - no thanks.

I have spent years playing korean grinders - the Myth of Soma had the most RSI inducing craft system ever - I now have to avoid them like the plague sadly
____________________________


#97 Feb 19 2011 at 2:38 PM Rating: Decent
**
435 posts
Torrence wrote:
Arguing against basic features is as good as saying you want the game to fail. Those who are its most steadfast supporters are in reality its weakest link.


Folks like that are the "fleas" I've spoken of, though I'll be the first to say that Olorinus doesn't really fall under that heading.
____________________________

#98 Feb 19 2011 at 3:27 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
597 posts
Ggrab wrote:
you should check out "DC universe online" it all about endgame & raid

it a shining light in this wow clone mmorpg market we live in today


I think you're doing the game an injustice by merely pimping its endgame. I think the main thing to take away from DCUO is that it's got one of the best and most action-oriented combat systems of any MMO currently available; you aren't standing still while you and the mobs do a back-and-forth with attacking, and there is no auto-attack because they're using a combo system for the bread-and-butter basic melee and ranged attacks. It's like playing an MMO version of Arkham Asylum. That's the thing I'm expecting (hoping?) to become a staple of the genre in the coming years.
____________________________
WoW - Andorhal
Darkkiwi - 85 Gnome Unholy Death Knight - <Flaming Bunnies>
Lightkiwi - 72 Gnome Disc Priest - <Flaming Bunnies>
Kwanita - 82 Gnome Frost Mage - <Flaming Bunnies>
Maglyn - 81 Gnome Protection Warrior - <Flaming Bunnies>


Don't play that game anymore. :P
#99 Feb 19 2011 at 4:02 PM Rating: Good
*
140 posts
FFXIV is going to be fine. Patients, patients, patients Monday I hope is the big patch for Feb.. A 13hr downtime can't only be for upgrading security. I welcome all the game changing changes that are coming. Can't wait for the renaming of classes back to their respectful FF classic names, and the addition of new classes. The Classes getting more defined role abilities/skills. Start taking pictures of the past, because come the end of March this game will not play the way it does now. This game can only get better, it is impossible to make this game feel and play any worse. SE are not noobs, they are 20+ year veterans in the art.

I understand the OP depression in the matter, because it is depressing. We should be waiting for the 1st expansion pack right about now, instead of a reboot to the game, but such is life. IF the Dev used FFXI as a foundation, in the first place, build a new world & mechanics around it we would have had a stellar launch. But, now we must wait for them to do that now.

Come the end of April this game is going to be amazing and fun. We all have a new producer who has a vision of how he wants this game to be played, he is just very polite to include us with polls to make sure we all agree with his Decisions/vision. I think this Monday is going to have a few surprises in store for us. and they are going to post what is in that patch, while we wait, on lodestone, or on Sunday.

The dev team is working hard, just for the simple matter that ever 2.5 weeks we are getting new updates with content and/or improvements.
____________________________
Shaman/Asura (Retired)
75-SAM 40-WAR
37-DRG 31-BLU
30-PLD 18-NIN
37-DNC 15-THF
37-RNG 20-BST
10-WHT



#100 Feb 19 2011 at 4:27 PM Rating: Excellent
16 posts
Great post Olo. I'm surprised to see a non-rage post with constructive conversation on ZAM. It's been a while since it has happened. I agree with most of your points, and I enjoyed the differences between WoW and FFXI when playing them both. I think if FFXIV becomes too similar to both of these games, then players will either flock back to WoW and FFXI, or just quit all-together. I am one of those players that quit early. I was ahead of the game, around level 32 Miner When the server leaders were around 40 tops. Since then I have been watching for updates and Yoshi-P's letters. I support their efforts to make this a great game, but I hope it is not all in vain.
____________________________

#101 Feb 19 2011 at 4:28 PM Rating: Default
34 posts
Seikninkuru wrote:

I don't feel confident with someone who has no vision of their own and merely asks what the majority want.


So you'd rather be told what to play , instead of being able to ask what you wanna play?

Its a very good step from SE, being able to listen to their community(customers) instead of forcing em to play something they know failed and then trying to rebuild it w/o feedback.
If im not mistaken its the first time SE asks us what we want. In my 6/7 years of FFXI never we've seen a poll asking us what we want, and seriously it would have been great.

I feel the fear of ppl not wanting FFXIV to be WoWized, but the truth is 90%+ of their Japanese players hate WoW and never want to see it going in that direction.(according to the first player poll) . SE seriously dont want that and im sure the Japanese community really like what Yoshi-P is doing.

The majority of WoW player, play for about 2-6 months then quit and come back when they see another Xpan or a content Patch. While FFXI/XIV players will and want to play for 2-4 years and invest themselves.

Thats why its important in this day and age to listen to your community(customers) or else we leave because we have enough choice and freedom to move elsewhere.

**Out of subject... I don't want to play a Monster Hunter MMO (^_~)**
FF Fanboy Bolt !!!

Edited, Feb 19th 2011 5:33pm by BoltSavior
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 18 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (18)