Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

question for Xbox 360 controller usersFollow

#1 Feb 24 2011 at 10:13 AM Rating: Good
**
937 posts
I love using a controller for FFXIV. I find the analog sticks are much more natural for controlling movement and camera. One of the things that bothers me though is that I am constantly having to put the controller down to type. In FFXI this wasn't so bad but FFXIV requires constant input (especially since I do A LOT of crafting).

One of the things I recently discovered is the keypad for the Xbox 360 controller (http://www.gamestop.ca/xbox-360/accessories/xbox-live-messenger-kit/202828) and I was wondering if anyone here has used it in combination with FFXIV? According to gamestop, it is PC compatible but I was hoping to here from other users before I drop $20-40 on one.
____________________________
Ferrish Draiodoir - Figaro Server
75BLM 75WHM 75PUP Garuda (quit May 2008)
Kelly's Fockleyr Gaelg - Baarle (Manx Gaelic): Ferrish - fairy, elf, naughty child; hand-steel.
#2 Feb 24 2011 at 10:52 AM Rating: Excellent
***
3,178 posts
You would do well to read this thread:
http://ffxiv.zam.com/forum.html?forum=152&mid=128371582753047384&page=1

You would need a third party driver from here:

Direct Link to Download page:
http://code.google.com/p/chatpad-super-driver/

I have not personally tried this driver to make the chatpad work for FFXIV. If you do, please reply back on how it worked out.

EDIT: I can tell you that the chatpad DOES NOT work for FFXIV without the driver. I did try that and it did not work.



Edited, Feb 24th 2011 11:54am by RufuSwho
#3 Feb 24 2011 at 11:51 AM Rating: Good
**
937 posts
RufuSwho wrote:
You would do well to read this thread:
http://ffxiv.zam.com/forum.html?forum=152&mid=128371582753047384&page=1
[/sm][/i]


I use a wired Xbox 360 controller and I've never had issue with it. that thread seems to mostly deal with setting one up. Good info none the less I guess but I didn't see anything regarding the chat-pad accessory.
____________________________
Ferrish Draiodoir - Figaro Server
75BLM 75WHM 75PUP Garuda (quit May 2008)
Kelly's Fockleyr Gaelg - Baarle (Manx Gaelic): Ferrish - fairy, elf, naughty child; hand-steel.
#4 Feb 24 2011 at 12:02 PM Rating: Good
**
291 posts
Don't know if anyone here has actually tried it. But if you follow the links to mp3car.com lots of people there are using it.

...And it's just a keyboard, with some built in capability to remap the keys. The computer will see your chatpad as a generic keyboard. So there should be no issue with using it in game.
____________________________

#5 Feb 24 2011 at 12:14 PM Rating: Decent
**
793 posts
Quote:
One of the things I recently discovered is the keypad for the Xbox 360 controller (http://www.gamestop.ca/xbox-360/accessories/xbox-live-messenger-kit/202828) and I was wondering if anyone here has used it in combination with FFXIV? According to gamestop, it is PC compatible but I was hoping to here from other users before I drop $20-40 on one.


I have one of these, and let me say it's a huge pain in the **** to use. The keys are way too small, and unless you have the fingers of an emaciated 5 year old, you're going to find that you end up with a lot of typos. What's more, for keys so small they require a significant UMPF to actually press them in. Truly bizarre.

Yeah, I agree putting down the controller to type is a bit of a pain, so instead of investing in an aborted keyboard fetus, you should put the $40 into a mic and a vent server so you can communicate hands-free with those who you probably interact with the most, your ls mates.
____________________________
I might be an onion thief, but I'm still a thief.™





#6 Feb 24 2011 at 12:33 PM Rating: Good
**
291 posts
Do use it to access your skill bar at all? Seems like it could speed that up.
____________________________

#7 Feb 24 2011 at 12:46 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,178 posts
Ferrish wrote:
RufuSwho wrote:
You would do well to read this thread:
http://ffxiv.zam.com/forum.html?forum=152&mid=128371582753047384&page=1
[/sm][/i]


I use a wired Xbox 360 controller and I've never had issue with it. that thread seems to mostly deal with setting one up. Good info none the less I guess but I didn't see anything regarding the chat-pad accessory.


It's on page 4. Did you click on the other link in my post?

There are multiple posts about the chatpad in that thread. If you missed them you weren't looking.
#8 Feb 24 2011 at 3:55 PM Rating: Good
**
937 posts
Onionthiefx wrote:

I have one of these, and let me say it's a huge pain in the **** to use. The keys are way too small, and unless you have the fingers of an emaciated 5 year old, you're going to find that you end up with a lot of typos. What's more, for keys so small they require a significant UMPF to actually press them in. Truly bizarre.

Yeah, I agree putting down the controller to type is a bit of a pain, so instead of investing in an aborted keyboard fetus, you should put the $40 into a mic and a vent server so you can communicate hands-free with those who you probably interact with the most, your ls mates.


This is the kind of info I was looking for.

Sadly the majority of the LS I'm in dislike voice chat. For some of the older players, with wives and families, it's kinda hard to put on a headset and cut yourself out from the rest of the household. Personally I'd prefer vent but since this groups operates on text only, I'm trying to make do.

and before the predictable response of "get a better LS" comes along, this is the only group I've found to date that has upwards of 15-20 people online at any hour of the day. It's rapidly becoming one of the largest english speaking LS's on Figaro.
____________________________
Ferrish Draiodoir - Figaro Server
75BLM 75WHM 75PUP Garuda (quit May 2008)
Kelly's Fockleyr Gaelg - Baarle (Manx Gaelic): Ferrish - fairy, elf, naughty child; hand-steel.
#9 Feb 24 2011 at 3:58 PM Rating: Good
**
291 posts
I used to be a heavy BlackBerry user. I figure it's probably kind of similar....sadly I'm waiting on wireless drivers. Although I am constantly tempted to get a wired controller.

Get the chatpad from somewhere you can return it and give it a go!

Edited, Feb 24th 2011 4:58pm by NayliaMR
____________________________

#10 Feb 24 2011 at 5:46 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
447 posts
RufuSwho wrote:
You would do well to read this thread:
http://ffxiv.zam.com/forum.html?forum=152&mid=128371582753047384&page=1

You would need a third party driver from here:

Direct Link to Download page:
http://code.google.com/p/chatpad-super-driver/

I have not personally tried this driver to make the chatpad work for FFXIV. If you do, please reply back on how it worked out.

EDIT: I can tell you that the chatpad DOES NOT work for FFXIV without the driver. I did try that and it did not work.



Edited, Feb 24th 2011 11:54am by RufuSwho


Holy crap. I've been looking for something like this - I even emailed a few friends at Microsoft about the lack of Chatpad support on Windows. I have a wireless controller but hopefully I can get this working. Thank you!
____________________________
Djigga, please. Highland Hyurs can't jump.

#11 Feb 24 2011 at 6:17 PM Rating: Good
*
144 posts
I tried the driver. Doesn't work for me, and from what I was reading, it made the entire controller a replacement keyboard (Ie, A is left click, sticks control mouse)

So yeah, it wasn't really that helpful.

But you might fare differently. I'll try again once that driver gets signed, or MS releases their own(doubtful).


Also, that opensource one only works with Wired controllers, as the developer hasn't been able to work with wireless ones.
____________________________
Sir Littlej wrote:
i think i said goodbye, but i might have told him to go die, im not sure


Tera Kalinathon wrote:
i do like... wood o.o



#12 Feb 24 2011 at 6:32 PM Rating: Good
**
291 posts
You can switch from gamepad mode to mouse mode...you'll need to read the mp3card thread or the google page to see which button it is...
____________________________

#13 Feb 25 2011 at 1:32 AM Rating: Good
***
3,178 posts
levelxplane wrote:
I tried the driver. Doesn't work for me, and from what I was reading, it made the entire controller a replacement keyboard (Ie, A is left click, sticks control mouse)

So yeah, it wasn't really that helpful.

But you might fare differently. I'll try again once that driver gets signed, or MS releases their own(doubtful).


Also, that opensource one only works with Wired controllers, as the developer hasn't been able to work with wireless ones.


Thanks for reporting back with that info. Sorry it didn't work.
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 25 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (25)