Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

FFXIV... is it more of a "disappointment" rather than...Follow

#1 Feb 28 2011 at 12:09 AM Rating: Decent
*
186 posts
FFXIV... is it more of a "disappointment" rather than an "utter failure"?

I mean look at this: http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/feature/3383/page/2

If something is ranked as one of the most highly expected games to top the markets, and ended up becoming "just another MMORPG", I see how people see this game to... well, suck.

And for the record, average MMORPGs bore the crap out of me. I want a game that will literally make me struggle.
____________________________
Watch who you are calling Douchebags, jerk. BANNED
#2 Feb 28 2011 at 1:06 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
I think it was a disappointment because it was an utter failure. Honestly I still see a good future for this game on the same scale of success as FFXI which wouldn't be too bad but I can't believe they looked at this game at release and thought, "yea, this should be great, release it!".
____________________________
MUTED
#3 Feb 28 2011 at 1:10 AM Rating: Excellent
**
429 posts
This game won't die for sure, but I'm pretty sure the awful launch ensured that it will see only a small fraction of the subscription numbers it would have seen if it were delayed and polished for about another year.
#4wrongfeifong, Posted: Feb 28 2011 at 1:19 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) In my personal opinion, it is just the American culture making FFXIV not an ideal game.
#5 Feb 28 2011 at 1:44 AM Rating: Excellent
The PS3 launch (if SE ever gets there) will be its second coming, sure it might not add a lot of pc players but if the do get there act together they could add a huge chunk of ps3 players.
#6 Feb 28 2011 at 2:31 AM Rating: Good
***
2,202 posts
wrongfeifong wrote:
In my personal opinion, it is just the American culture making FFXIV not an ideal game.

Definitely, in gaming, there is a lot culture influences. Jrpg isn't as popular here then other areas of asia. You can see many games hit top of the chart in japan or any place in asia, but barely make any sales in NA/EU.

I think more NA just enjoy games that don't have too much challenges (include grinding) while majority they don't appreciate japanese art (like anime). I think mainly due to the fact NA/EU doesn't like to try new stuff or change their routine. While i even met many people avoid FFXIV/FFXI just become it is a foreign game. A lot NA never have the chance to try foreign imports to ever start to like them.

For example, you would be surprise how many people never eat sushi (consider the fade is getting there).

Of course, this is just my view from an asian that lived in NA/EU for many years. It still surprise these day me that i found many people haven't taste sushi before... I live in a big city by the way, not some towns and i have many friends that never eat sushi @ 20+...


Are you sure you dont got that backwards ? i mean nothing in FFXIV is new, in fact they went back to the old "Grueling Grind" from EQ and older games, no content at cap level, just leaves and a few quests, that how MMORPGS where back in 1990's, also the JRPG genre has been boring for the past 7+ years, imho i do not think is the american culture, but more simple, the game sucks period, it sucked in alpha, it sucked in beta, it sucks live, and no excuse say's otherwise, i mean if it was the american culture, but is not doing that much better in japan or eu ?

Now i do agree to some degree on that maybe the majority don't like a really challenging game, but on the subject of FFXIV strictly i have to say No! Nothing in FFXIV is challenging, there are no boss fights, no real hard content, is just grinding for the sake of grinding, is the same old grind at lvl 1 and at lvl 50, there is no promised land that you reach after reaching cap, all that awaits you is yet more Grind.

As for JRPG imports, well thats the japenese fault, for not ever learning what games to port, i mean Secret of mana, was a HIT! It's a clasic, yet seikendetsu 3 never saw the light in USA, Front Mission 1 was never ported to the USA, and thats a Snes game, and at that time, there was no game like Front mission 1, all we got was FM3(Wich is my favorite) then 4 wich was Meh! But 5 ? 5 was awesome and they never ported it, they ported what ? FM Evolved <.<, SRWS is a great serie's yet they have not released the main games of the series outside of japan, yet the OG series SOLD LIKE PANCAKES! And yet they dont port no more games like that, so really i dont know wtf is up with the **** <.<

Btw: THANK GOD FOR ATLUS!!!
____________________________
MUTED
#7 Feb 28 2011 at 4:44 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,948 posts
ViKtoricus wrote:
FFXIV... is it more of a "disappointment" rather than an "utter failure"?

I mean look at this: http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/feature/3383/page/2

If something is ranked as one of the most highly expected games to top the markets, and ended up becoming "just another MMORPG", I see how people see this game to... well, suck.

And for the record, average MMORPGs bore the crap out of me. I want a game that will literally make me struggle.


You know what's funny? All the new MMOs in that list that have been released are "fail", with the least fail "new" Aion (which is like what, still the 2nd most subscribed MMO) being in the bottom of the list. But even Aion by then was already released in Korea before that list compiled.
____________________________




#8 Mar 01 2011 at 5:33 AM Rating: Excellent
I am starting to realize that everyone's opinion is worth something. Agree or not. I've started to just rate up everyone as long as they are on topic.

The rampant rate downs in every thread lately can only be fought with equally rampant rate ups. From now on, if you give the topic some thought and post it, you win.

I like this VIKtoricus guy. He may be a sock or a anti-troll double agent in disguise as a troll triple agent, but either way I am entertained.
#9 Mar 01 2011 at 8:46 AM Rating: Decent
*
186 posts
SmashingtonWho wrote:
I am starting to realize that everyone's opinion is worth something. Agree or not. I've started to just rate up everyone as long as they are on topic.

The rampant rate downs in every thread lately can only be fought with equally rampant rate ups. From now on, if you give the topic some thought and post it, you win.

I like this VIKtoricus guy. He may be a sock or a anti-troll double agent in disguise as a troll triple agent, but either way I am entertained.


lol

Anyway, the way I see it, FFXIV is an extremely high quality game that gone wrong. I think if you compare the end result that the new development team are working on and the one previously launched (which was just plain horrible), you'll see enough contrast to say that the newer version is the REAL FFXIV version. It is the COMPLETE FFXIV version...

And SmashingtonWho, plus keep up with rating everyone up. Especially for me since I need it the most in this forum. Thank you.

P.S. By the way people, here's my baby website. I've only created its surface but it's getting to where I want it to be. Enjoy: http://www.finalfantasygreatness.com/

Edited, Mar 1st 2011 9:48am by ViKtoricus
____________________________
Watch who you are calling Douchebags, jerk. BANNED
#10 Mar 01 2011 at 9:19 AM Rating: Excellent
Rated down for posting about rating people up. The losing battle continues.

Team Karma Troll, you guys should at least post in the thread so I can rate you up in a raw display of irony.

*Flexes ironic muscles*

BOO-YAH. You just can't deal with the overwhelming mediocrity of my misguided crusade.

IT IS TOO MUCH FOR YOU!
#11 Mar 01 2011 at 9:23 AM Rating: Good
***
2,202 posts
ViKtoricus wrote:
SmashingtonWho wrote:
I am starting to realize that everyone's opinion is worth something. Agree or not. I've started to just rate up everyone as long as they are on topic.

The rampant rate downs in every thread lately can only be fought with equally rampant rate ups. From now on, if you give the topic some thought and post it, you win.

I like this VIKtoricus guy. He may be a sock or a anti-troll double agent in disguise as a troll triple agent, but either way I am entertained.


lol

Anyway, the way I see it, FFXIV is an extremely high quality game that gone wrong. I think if you compare the end result that the new development team are working on and the one previously launched (which was just plain horrible), you'll see enough contrast to say that the newer version is the REAL FFXIV version. It is the COMPLETE FFXIV version...

And SmashingtonWho, plus keep up with rating everyone up. Especially for me since I need it the most in this forum. Thank you.

P.S. By the way people, here's my baby website. I've only created its surface but it's getting to where I want it to be. Enjoy: http://www.finalfantasygreatness.com/

Edited, Mar 1st 2011 9:48am by ViKtoricus


Just gonna point this out: If this is the COMPLETE FFXIV VERSION!! Then it will fail again :)

Content is KING :)
____________________________
MUTED
#12 Mar 01 2011 at 9:23 AM Rating: Excellent
**
423 posts
wrongfeifong wrote:
In my personal opinion, it is just the American culture making FFXIV not an ideal game...

I think mainly due to the fact NA/EU doesn't like to try new stuff or change their routine. While i even met many people avoid FFXIV/FFXI just become it is a foreign game. A lot NA never have the chance to try foreign imports to ever start to like them...

Of course, this is just my view from an asian that lived in NA/EU for many years.



I actually couldn't disagree more. Drawing conclusions about certain people is just ignorant.

Correct me if i am wrong but the JP crowd was complaining about the lack of content, everything in the game, just as much as the NA crowd was. They are the major influence in the game too. Blaming the NA audiance is just not fair, we(myself included) LOVE FFXI and only give FFXIV a chance because we are hoping it can become a gem too.

Lastly(and not on topic but in response), i live in Canada and i must say a ton of my friends eat sushi, in fact if it wasn't so expensive we would probably eat it multiple times a week. Usually all the sushi places here are PACKED and people bring their kids.

Back on topic...

I personally think that SE just painted themself in a corner. They did everything they shouldn't have.

1) They made it so graphically amazing they had to use methods that are absolutely shunned upon by gamers everywhere like lack of enemies, crashing servers due to players... gathering in the same area? and lastly copy/pasting HUGE details of land making it near impossible to tell where you are without a map. Then their excuse was "oh due to hardware limitations we had to do this"... what? Really? lame excuse sorry, I would never use that at work.

2) They tried to follow every other game like WoW by making mindless quests of kill x obtain y, without having any story behind it. Although not directly, WoW does have story if you decide to read it. There is just(in my opinion) no connect with anything, especially when you have to run 5min outside of town just to do the quests.

3) They took barely anything they learned from FFXI that people loved... where are choco's, where's the quests in town that make you feel some kind of connect with the city? Where is the easy to use market system(and i am not saying market wards sucked, but they should have been thought through WAY more so they were easier to use)... so many missing/awesome things from FFXI.

I could go on and on, however i think that would be beating an issue that really is moot now.
#13 Mar 01 2011 at 10:32 AM Rating: Good
22 posts
Both!

The game is a failure.
And I'm disappointed that it was not a great title.

For those who still insist that it is not a failure, think about it, even the maker of the game agree that it would be a fraud to charge a subscription for that subscription based game. It is still open just because of the ressources that SE has, most other compagnies would have closed the *service* already.

I think we will see the FFXIV game disappear shortly and it will come back in a few years under a new name and with hopefully something interesting to offer the players.
#14 Mar 01 2011 at 11:57 AM Rating: Default
*
219 posts
boriss wrote:
wrongfeifong wrote:
In my personal opinion, it is just the American culture making FFXIV not an ideal game...

I think mainly due to the fact NA/EU doesn't like to try new stuff or change their routine. While i even met many people avoid FFXIV/FFXI just become it is a foreign game. A lot NA never have the chance to try foreign imports to ever start to like them...

Of course, this is just my view from an asian that lived in NA/EU for many years.



I actually couldn't disagree more. Drawing conclusions about certain people is just ignorant.

Correct me if i am wrong but the JP crowd was complaining about the lack of content, everything in the game, just as much as the NA crowd was. They are the major influence in the game too. Blaming the NA audiance is just not fair, we(myself included) LOVE FFXI and only give FFXIV a chance because we are hoping it can become a gem too.

Lastly(and not on topic but in response), i live in Canada and i must say a ton of my friends eat sushi, in fact if it wasn't so expensive we would probably eat it multiple times a week. Usually all the sushi places here are PACKED and people bring their kids.

Back on topic...

I personally think that SE just painted themself in a corner. They did everything they shouldn't have.

1) They made it so graphically amazing they had to use methods that are absolutely shunned upon by gamers everywhere like lack of enemies, crashing servers due to players... gathering in the same area? and lastly copy/pasting HUGE details of land making it near impossible to tell where you are without a map. Then their excuse was "oh due to hardware limitations we had to do this"... what? Really? lame excuse sorry, I would never use that at work.

2) They tried to follow every other game like WoW by making mindless quests of kill x obtain y, without having any story behind it. Although not directly, WoW does have story if you decide to read it. There is just(in my opinion) no connect with anything, especially when you have to run 5min outside of town just to do the quests.

3) They took barely anything they learned from FFXI that people loved... where are choco's, where's the quests in town that make you feel some kind of connect with the city? Where is the easy to use market system(and i am not saying market wards sucked, but they should have been thought through WAY more so they were easier to use)... so many missing/awesome things from FFXI.

I could go on and on, however i think that would be beating an issue that really is moot now.


I hope you watch the movie "Antz". It is a CG cartoon but the theme is about these ants never realize the fact they can make a differences or even tell the differences when they live in a perfect society. These ants will not try new stuff because it is actually perfectly fine with themselves.

The problem is this, i never mention JP crowd not complaining. However, i am claiming/stating the fact that the US audiences have little of the percentage in the whole general population of the game because in fact it is affect by their culture differences.

In theory, let's assume that JP/NA+EU+CAN have an equal population in FFXIV. However, let's assume that 1% of the 120 millions (of course, not true, more like 0.1% but let's just assume 1%). If an equal population of US/EU/CAN combine is still same number as JP population, it is clear to say that there is more japanese players playing FFXIV over to US/EU/CAN combine. And this influences is what i am trying to prove. IF, there is no influences at all, then an equal percentage of players from both side would have US/EU/CAN players double or even triple the current population. But that is not the case.


Now, to counter your 3 points.

1. Having a huge world, this world is equally in same size as azeoth. While you suggest everything is copy and paste. Unless you can screenshot one area look exactly the same as the other, then come back and prove it. Even in wow, there is a lot similarity, trees are the same, some area look different but most are just copy and paste for that area. Even in real world, a desert look like a desert from every corner of the desert. A plain is same.

2. Killing quest, well I don't know what they can make with a random generate system. I mean they can't just pop an NPC every place for every player out there. You would see 2000 NPC in the field all standing there waiting for you to escort them or deliver something. It is their mechanic that forcing the killing fest. Of course, they should really put more effort into add more leves, but i don't see how they would do it. Would you be happier with "delivery leve" Go to camp blackbreath and walk your way to camp broken water for 500 sp? Or escort XXX from camp blackbreath to camp broken water? The walk itself would take 15 min normal speed... + fighting and all, i believe you would be a lot happier with killing quest.

3. Chocobo are not necessary mounts, they have their other purpose, maybe FFXIV is trying to give them a new purpose. Beside, do you still ride horses in real life when you have a car? Just as habitant can teleport themselves, why would they ride chocobo ? Beside i like their idea of moving away from FFXI, i am not here to play FFXI-2
#15 Mar 01 2011 at 12:23 PM Rating: Excellent
*
176 posts
You've been able to ride a chocobo is almost every Final Fantasy. Adding them wouldn't be making this game FFXI-2, it would be making it a Final Fantasy. I honestly can't tell if you're the most subtle trolling account ever, or if you actually believe the stuff that you say.
____________________________


#16 Mar 01 2011 at 12:31 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
46 posts
"Copy-pasting" terrain isn't really much of an issue... using in-house terrain-generating software saves unbelievable amounts of time. What I do have issue with is the lack of genuinely interesting off-beat areas when it comes to the world. I think with this game they need to add, on top of obvious main-line city quests, a few obscure quest-lines that require some exploration to find (as well as some interesting reward possibilities). They also really need to push lore- and faction-related Quests (not just faction NM leves)... What are various factions planning? What obstacles are they facing? What hints as to what might come in the future can be given by talking to NPCs of interest? etc.
#17 Mar 01 2011 at 3:18 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
Quote:
also the JRPG genre has been boring for the past 7+ years, imho i do not think is the american culture, but more simple, the game sucks period, it sucked in alpha, it sucked in beta, it sucks live, and no excuse say's otherwise, i mean if it was the american culture, but is not doing that much better in japan or eu ?


Yes to the first, and affirmative no to the last.
It sucked, so it got torn to shreds here, too (where not even
an official review by a major game magazine was released yet).

Americans may be arrogant simpletons born without the ability
to just imagine there's something outside their own system of
thought - but their disinclination to play FFXIV is not a good
example for that overarching tendency.
#18 Mar 01 2011 at 5:20 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,202 posts
Rinsui wrote:
Quote:
also the JRPG genre has been boring for the past 7+ years, imho i do not think is the american culture, but more simple, the game sucks period, it sucked in alpha, it sucked in beta, it sucks live, and no excuse say's otherwise, i mean if it was the american culture, but is not doing that much better in japan or eu ?


Yes to the first, and affirmative no to the last.
It sucked, so it got torn to shreds here, too (where not even
an official review by a major game magazine was released yet).

Americans may be arrogant simpletons born without the ability
to just imagine there's something outside their own system of
thought - but their disinclination to play FFXIV is not a good
example for that overarching tendency.


US sales of FFXIV where double that of the ***!

The game sucked then, it sucks now, you can call the american's simpletons and w/e else you like, it wont change that fact
____________________________
MUTED
#19 Mar 01 2011 at 6:38 PM Rating: Good
***
1,004 posts
Verecund wrote:
"Copy-pasting" terrain isn't really much of an issue... using in-house terrain-generating software saves unbelievable amounts of time. What I do have issue with is the lack of genuinely interesting off-beat areas when it comes to the world. I think with this game they need to add, on top of obvious main-line city quests, a few obscure quest-lines that require some exploration to find (as well as some interesting reward possibilities). They also really need to push lore- and faction-related Quests (not just faction NM leves)... What are various factions planning? What obstacles are they facing? What hints as to what might come in the future can be given by talking to NPCs of interest? etc.


i agree with this. there are a few hidden gems here and there, but they are few and far apart. as cool as the idea of not having to zone is, i think i would rather that system because as it is now, theres only 5 different areas cut up into smaller bits but look the same. after that theres 4 cities, and some caves.

ffxi's 2 look-alike zones for each starter city was fine, because it was only 2 zones. other zones did that as well, but mostly when you entered a new area you felt like you actually went somewhere.

my favorite zones to enter were sanctuary of zi'tah and al'tieu.

i'm really hoping they make some super cool unique zones like those.

Edited, Mar 1st 2011 7:39pm by Keysofgaruda
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 11 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (11)