Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

SE is setting up traps for new players?Follow

#1 Feb 28 2011 at 1:49 AM Rating: Sub-Default
*
219 posts
I just switch job and starting off a level 1.

I was amazed, i got to level 10 in 1 leve at first camp. I got to 15 within the hour and almost 20 by the time i finish 6 leve.

Are SE setting up a trap for the new players?

1-23 is basically given right now. However, sp reduce so much after 23, it takes ridiculously long to level afterward. Especially, from 30-31 is a 4000 sp jump, by 35 is almost double of a level 29.

Not to mentions with 60000 sp to level, the leves monster only give 100-200 (assume 200), which mean i need to kill 300 monsters to level and if 1 leve usually give me 10 monsters, i need to do 30 leves to level once assume i don't grind other things, about 4 cycles normally. or almost 2 weeks per level?

Assume i don't leve-link or do behest and all too.
#2 Feb 28 2011 at 1:54 AM Rating: Excellent
*****
16,959 posts
I don't think leves were meant to be used for grinding levels. They're something a casual player can do and still feel like they accomplish something every time they log in.

That's not to say leves don't offer awesome SP, just that they aren't the main source for gaining SP/EXP, in my opinion of course.

At 37 ish, it takes me about 4-5hrs of grinding (while doing other things like watching Hajime no Ippo, or chatting on Skype, etc.) to get a level.

If I had a duo partner, I could probably shave off an hour or so.
____________________________
MyAnimeList FFXIV Krystal Spoonless
#3 Feb 28 2011 at 2:01 AM Rating: Decent
*
182 posts
I don't think it's too bad considering the game doesn't really start until after level 20. Also I say leveling should be a little easier in the beginning that way people don't quit after an hour or two.
____________________________
?
#4 Feb 28 2011 at 2:23 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,948 posts
Leveling in almost every MMO are accelerated in the beginning and slow down later. The degree of slowing down however differ from MMO to MMO. Even with quest grinding MMO you can easily get 10-20 first level in one day and like 3-5 levels each day after ward. I have yet to see ANY MMO that you begin leveling slower and then get accelerated speed later.

Even during r49-50 it took me like what, 5-6 hr for the last stretch. DoW/DoM have it easy actually, really easy. DoH/DoL is where you should complain >_>
____________________________




#5 Feb 28 2011 at 2:40 AM Rating: Good
***
1,146 posts
Khornette wrote:
Even during r49-50 it took me like what, 5-6 hr for the last stretch. DoW/DoM have it easy actually, really easy. DoH/DoL is where you should complain >_>

Especially Miner and Botanist. For Fisher it's not that bad because you can fish higher grade waters without a limited number of tries.

But gaining 10! ranks during 1 leve seems a bit too much in my opinion.
1-2 ranks per leve would be fine till you reach r20.
____________________________

Final Fantasy XI
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Name: Kyana (retired)
Jobs: THF75 PLD70 BST70

#6 Feb 28 2011 at 4:03 AM Rating: Default
*
63 posts
wrongfeifong wrote:

Assume i don't leve-link or do behest and all too.


Why? o.O

Kirby the Eccentric wrote:

That's not to say leves don't offer awesome SP, just that they aren't the main source for gaining SP/EXP, in my opinion of course.


You're wrong, they're the best source of sp, I've never grinded after the November patch.
You just have to know how they're working, wich one is good and wich one is crap and then you're done, you always get at least 80k sp every reset.
____________________________


#7 Feb 28 2011 at 4:47 AM Rating: Good
*****
16,959 posts
alcide wrote:
You're wrong, they're the best source of sp, I've never grinded after the November patch.
You just have to know how they're working, wich one is good and wich one is crap and then you're done, you always get at least 80k sp every reset.
Is this solo, or with a full leve group?

Honestly, I've never taken part in a full leve group. I either solo or duo my leves.
So it takes me about 1.5hrs to finish them for about 35k SP. I then have extra time to either grind out more SP on a DoW, or gather/craft for a bit.

I'm sure after the re-shell, I can actually experience 80k using solely leves.
____________________________
MyAnimeList FFXIV Krystal Spoonless
#8alcide, Posted: Feb 28 2011 at 5:42 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Why would you solo in a mmo? o.O this one doesn't even have PVP so playing solo is like playing offline...
#9 Feb 28 2011 at 5:49 AM Rating: Good
*****
16,959 posts
alcide wrote:
Kirby the Eccentric wrote:

Is this solo, or with a full leve group?

Honestly, I've never taken part in a full leve group. I either solo or duo my leves.
So it takes me about 1.5hrs to finish them for about 35k SP. I then have extra time to either grind out more SP on a DoW, or gather/craft for a bit.

I'm sure after the re-shell, I can actually experience 80k using solely leves.


Why would you solo in a mmo? o.O this one doesn't even have PVP so playing solo is like playing offline...
Even in FFXI, I mainly stuck to small groups, around 3-4 people.

And really, there's nothing to do in game right now but rank up. If I play at all, it's while I'm doing something else.

Edited, Feb 28th 2011 4:50am by Kirby
____________________________
MyAnimeList FFXIV Krystal Spoonless
#10 Feb 28 2011 at 6:20 AM Rating: Default
*
186 posts
I generally like to play in small groups too (3 to 4) mainly because of a leadership issue. It's harder to manage 9 other players than it is to manage 2.

And as far as soloing FFXIV... that should only be applied for farming easy monsters, doing rank 9 and below levequests, and crafting. If you are going to play an MMORPG and solo all the way, then it's either because A.) You have no political skills whatsoever. (which can be gained through practice and patience.) B.) You treat people like crap and have no civility. Or C.) MMORPGs are not the right games for you.
____________________________
Watch who you are calling Douchebags, jerk. BANNED
#11 Feb 28 2011 at 6:28 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
597 posts
ViKtoricus wrote:
And as far as soloing FFXIV... that should only be applied for farming easy monsters, doing rank 9 and below levequests, and crafting. If you are going to play an MMORPG and solo all the way, then it's either because A.) You have no political skills whatsoever. (which can be gained through practice and patience.) B.) You treat people like crap and have no civility. Or C.) MMORPGs are not the right games for you.


D) You've been burned so many times by bads in your group, people being pricks, and just generally having more bad times than good with random strangers that, unless you're playing with the bestest friends, you'd rather avoid grouping wherever possible.

Also, lol @ people who think leveling is the meat of the game.
____________________________
WoW - Andorhal
Darkkiwi - 85 Gnome Unholy Death Knight - <Flaming Bunnies>
Lightkiwi - 72 Gnome Disc Priest - <Flaming Bunnies>
Kwanita - 82 Gnome Frost Mage - <Flaming Bunnies>
Maglyn - 81 Gnome Protection Warrior - <Flaming Bunnies>


Don't play that game anymore. :P
#12 Feb 28 2011 at 6:32 AM Rating: Default
*
186 posts
Quanta wrote:
ViKtoricus wrote:
And as far as soloing FFXIV... that should only be applied for farming easy monsters, doing rank 9 and below levequests, and crafting. If you are going to play an MMORPG and solo all the way, then it's either because A.) You have no political skills whatsoever. (which can be gained through practice and patience.) B.) You treat people like crap and have no civility. Or C.) MMORPGs are not the right games for you.


D) You've been burned so many times by bads in your group, people being pricks, and just generally having more bad times than good with random strangers that, unless you're playing with the bestest friends, you'd rather avoid grouping wherever possible.

Also, lol @ people who think leveling is the meat of the game.


The meat and potatoes of a good MMORPG varies from player to player. I personally enjoy raiding powerful monsters with a band of strong, cooperative people.

Others play MMORPGs to mindlessly level up. Other like to do quests, to craft, roleplay, and endlessly on and on.
____________________________
Watch who you are calling Douchebags, jerk. BANNED
#13 Feb 28 2011 at 6:51 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
691 posts
If low levels are the appetizer, then mid-max level grind would be the meat, while endgame would be the dessert. I don't know about everyone else, but I personally think a good dessert tastes sweeter than meat. There's many meats I dislike, and many desserts I cannot stomach, but if a menu lacks a good appetizer and drink, chances are most people won't even bother going to the restaurant unless the meats and desserts are something spectacular.
#14 Feb 28 2011 at 7:27 AM Rating: Excellent
**
660 posts
Quanta wrote:
ViKtoricus wrote:
And as far as soloing FFXIV... that should only be applied for farming easy monsters, doing rank 9 and below levequests, and crafting. If you are going to play an MMORPG and solo all the way, then it's either because A.) You have no political skills whatsoever. (which can be gained through practice and patience.) B.) You treat people like crap and have no civility. Or C.) MMORPGs are not the right games for you.


D) You've been burned so many times by bads in your group, people being pricks, and just generally having more bad times than good with random strangers that, unless you're playing with the bestest friends, you'd rather avoid grouping wherever possible.

Also, lol @ people who think leveling is the meat of the game.


This right here is why people enjoy soloing in an MMO. Some people just don't play well with others.

Imagine a new player who doesn't know that you can run from leve mobs (like when they turn into an imp) or doesn't know which leves to abandon. There isn't exactly a guide in game to tell you these things. Also there's no guide on leve linking and the benefits of doing so. When I first started I had no idea how to do it. That's just the state of MMOs in general, and it doesn't have to be. It's the elitist mentality that causes people to want to solo.

There's nothing quite like some princess conjurer dropping from a level 20 leve party mid-fight because omg yoo r dumb.
____________________________


#15 Feb 28 2011 at 7:33 AM Rating: Good
**
778 posts
I solo, frequently... But at the same time I will and usually do, run leves with one or two more people. If I'm just after gil and only gil I'll focus on soloing a leve at times. It depends on the reward VS difficulty. But for example, just today I focused on ranking up my archer and a couple other jobs with several other friends. At times you feel like soloing, at times you wanna be with others. The thing I like about FFXIV in that sense is I'm given a choice if I decide to or not. And as far as I've found at this time, there really is little to no point in trying to speed level your way to the cap. What does it achieve? We're not looking at any real end-game content for quite some time so take it slow and just enjoy the game for what it's got!
____________________________
FINAL FANTASY XIV Roleplayer

Sair Gammonari - Hyur Midlander Male - Conjurer (Somewhat retired.)
Mihana Zhralyia - Miqo'te Seeker of the Sun Female - Archer



This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 19 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (19)