Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
This Forum is Read Only

No SP or loot for quest mobs :(Follow

#1 Mar 03 2011 at 3:09 PM Rating: Good
35 posts
* Enemies defeated as part of a sidequest do not yield skill points, experience points, or loot.

So if quests have no cutscenes, these are just fillers aside from a mediocre armor reward? I know we should w8 till after maintenance but this is sounding dissapointing... maybe just me? xD hehe

Edited, Mar 3rd 2011 4:09pm by MishaNevarian
#2 Mar 03 2011 at 3:12 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,636 posts
heh, other games use quests for progression. We can't have so now absolutely no progressing during quests.
____________________________


#3 Mar 03 2011 at 3:20 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
12,709 posts
I recall him saying the sidequests are more for learning about eorzea and events leading up things that will be implemented soon, we don't need yet ANOTHER way to level >.>
____________________________

#4 Mar 03 2011 at 3:21 PM Rating: Excellent
**
821 posts
I want to do Quests for Story and lore...not rewards...
#5 Mar 03 2011 at 3:25 PM Rating: Excellent
**
924 posts
In that screen shot wasn't a reward tarred leather trousers?

Gear is a good enough reward. :)
____________________________
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/story.html?story=18309
Quote:
Like Final Fantasy XI, the game specs will be extremely high for the time, but in about 5 years, an average machine can run it on max settings with little to no issues. Tanaka also expressed interest in making a benchmark program available.

FilthMcNasty wrote:
I endorse this thread.
#6 Mar 03 2011 at 3:27 PM Rating: Good
****
9,526 posts
Mistress Theonehio wrote:
I recall him saying the sidequests are more for learning about eorzea and events leading up things that will be implemented soon, we don't need yet ANOTHER way to level >.>


well... but removing SP rewards from killing the actual mobs seems weird, don't you think?
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#7 Mar 03 2011 at 3:28 PM Rating: Good
35 posts
Mistress Theonehio wrote:
I recall him saying the sidequests are more for learning about eorzea and events leading up things that will be implemented soon, we don't need yet ANOTHER way to level >.>


Ya I know but not like we get to grind these mobs out, will be loving the lore and backstory but the little sp wouldn't have hurt imo. From what we know these aren't repeatable quests either, but I'm fine with it either way just saying it's a little dissapointing :P
#8 Mar 03 2011 at 3:31 PM Rating: Excellent
Olorinus the Vile wrote:
Mistress Theonehio wrote:
I recall him saying the sidequests are more for learning about eorzea and events leading up things that will be implemented soon, we don't need yet ANOTHER way to level >.>


well... but removing SP rewards from killing the actual mobs seems weird, don't you think?
I think it's very weird. It's making me wonder if the reward for the actual quests will be more than just the item that they show.
____________________________
Edited, Mar 21st 2011 2:14pm by Darqflame Lock Thread: Because Lubriderm is silly... ~ de geso

Almalieque wrote:
I know what a glory hole is, but I wasn't sure what the business part was in reference to.

My Anime List
#9 Mar 03 2011 at 3:33 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
38 posts
Well from the screen shot these look exactly the same as leve's but without the SP and drops from the mobs that you kill. There has to be something more to them than that otherwise what was the point?

Maybe when you complete the quest you get a set amount of SP and your reward, something like that. It can't be as simple as find an NPC, get blue box with some text in it saying kill this, you go and kill it go back and get a well done and no SP.
____________________________

#10 Mar 03 2011 at 3:33 PM Rating: Excellent
I'm guessing you'll still get rewards for completing the quests, just not from killing quest mobs.
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#11 Mar 03 2011 at 3:42 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
626 posts
i have to say, it sounds like the exact polar opposite of how quests work in other MMOs, not only are we not getting exp from completing the quest (fine with me) but we also dont get exp for doing something that gives exp in every other situation in existance?

plus someone said "yet another way to level" .... wtf? lol are you serious? cuz yeah behest, leves (gag), and old fashioned grinding is more than enough options to have to level. in case you didnt know the average MMO on release has more than those three options to level and be active. just to spite you i cant wait for low and mid level instanced dungeons as well that are also used to level.
____________________________

#12 Mar 03 2011 at 3:47 PM Rating: Excellent
**
821 posts
AlexiaKidd wrote:
Well from the screen shot these look exactly the same as leve's but without the SP and drops from the mobs that you kill. There has to be something more to them than that otherwise what was the point?


Story?
#13 Mar 03 2011 at 3:51 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
812 posts
This is only a guess, but maybe we get sp and loot from the npc after turning in the completed quest. I'll have to see later tonight.
____________________________
Abaddon Active Player Roster
- All your Fabul Sever are belong to us! -


#14 Mar 03 2011 at 3:52 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
626 posts
Shezard wrote:
AlexiaKidd wrote:
Well from the screen shot these look exactly the same as leve's but without the SP and drops from the mobs that you kill. There has to be something more to them than that otherwise what was the point?


Story?

not enough, killing something should always at all times give exp, except when you cant learn anymore. im surprised this opinion isnt seen as common sense as much as "quests should not reward exp just by talking to an npc... it doesnt make any sense". yeah well fighting a mob that isnt one or two shotted but not exping off of it makes just as much sense as getting exp by talking to an npc or finding a new zone.

oh ps, if you hadnt noticed, this new enthrawling way to learn about lore is obviously nothing but walls of text coming from a blank staring NPC, it isnt like your getting more of what you get with main scenerio quests, kind of a cheap and sleezy way to impliment more content.
sorry but this is literally the first time and most disspointed with an update that ive seen so far. ive been generally happy with every other one.

Edited, Mar 3rd 2011 4:55pm by pixelpop
____________________________

#15 Mar 03 2011 at 3:52 PM Rating: Excellent
**
495 posts
They might not give EXP and SP because they are one shot. Unlike a lot of other MMORPGs that have quests that give out EXP rewards this game allows people to level more then one class on a given character. They probably want the the story and items procured to be the reward for doing them and nothing else because of this.
#16 Mar 03 2011 at 3:56 PM Rating: Excellent
Guru
**
691 posts
AlexiaKidd wrote:
Well from the screen shot these look exactly the same as leve's but without the SP and drops from the mobs that you kill. There has to be something more to them than that otherwise what was the point?

Maybe when you complete the quest you get a set amount of SP and your reward, something like that. It can't be as simple as find an NPC, get blue box with some text in it saying kill this, you go and kill it go back and get a well done and no SP.

The implication is that, while Guildleves are randomly assigned, repeatable quests, Sidequests will be more scripted... quests (how any times can I say quests in one sentence)... most likely not repeatable, and each individually have more attention given to them by the developers. I see it as a Quantity versus Quality difference.

Edited, Mar 3rd 2011 4:57pm by Hulan
#17 Mar 03 2011 at 4:04 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
38 posts
Shezard wrote:
AlexiaKidd wrote:
Well from the screen shot these look exactly the same as leve's but without the SP and drops from the mobs that you kill. There has to be something more to them than that otherwise what was the point?


Story?


You still get a story with every regional and local leve quest you do, so again how is this any different apart from not getting any SP/EXP.

Like I said this is all based off one screen shot hopefully there will be cut scenes or something more that make the story enthralling and it's not just go up to an NPC you click to interact and you get a blue box saying kill x mobs, otherwise there really is no point apart from the free item you get at the end as they are exactly the same as the current leve's but minus the ability to gain ranks.
____________________________

#18 Mar 03 2011 at 4:09 PM Rating: Good
35 posts
AlexiaKidd wrote:
Shezard wrote:
AlexiaKidd wrote:
Well from the screen shot these look exactly the same as leve's but without the SP and drops from the mobs that you kill. There has to be something more to them than that otherwise what was the point?


Story?


You still get a story with every regional and local leve quest you do, so again how is this any different apart from not getting any SP/EXP.

Like I said this is all based off one screen shot hopefully there will be cut scenes or something more that make the story enthralling and it's not just go up to an NPC you click to interact and you get a blue box saying kill x mobs, otherwise there really is no point apart from the free item you get at the end as they are exactly the same as the current leve's but minus the ability to gain ranks.


Exactly^^ and this is a understandable fear! If it IS just going up to npc's and gettin that blue box with little text + no cutscenes surrounding it... There's really no point until the rewards are substantial like class gear/AF. Good time filler I guess xD But again can't really say much for certain till after maintenance^^ Best scenario would be for them to have cutscenes AND sp/xp rewards on top of the item reward (plus maybe some required grouping for certain quests?!)... personal opinion of course :D

Edit: Add in the ability to be unable to select difficulty (doubt we'll be able to) Gonna be VERY watered downed versions of leves if no cutscenes and the like :(

Edited, Mar 3rd 2011 5:11pm by MishaNevarian
#19 Mar 03 2011 at 4:20 PM Rating: Excellent
**
495 posts
I actually thought of another reason they probably don't give EXP/SP... Not sure if people remember this during beta, but there was a time when people spammed the opening cutscene mobs by killing two... dcing... and then starting again and then all 3 mobs would be back for you to slaughter. They fixed this by nerfing the amount of SP and EXP to not make it worthwhile. Maybe this is there way of keeping that same exploit from happening during leves since you will probably be placed in an instance for whatever fights that show up and dcing would once again reset the whole fight. The theory for this is the same reason you can't restart failed guild leves right away.
#20 Mar 03 2011 at 4:23 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
38 posts
If they did that to get around D/Cer's then maybe like I said earlier you kill them then when you get to the NPC to finish the quest you get say 1000 SP/EXP for the quest and your Item.

On the topic of AF gear it better not be a little sidequest and a blue text box, I want a huge epic cutscene when I collect mine ^^
____________________________

#21 Mar 03 2011 at 4:25 PM Rating: Good
35 posts
croythegreat wrote:
I actually thought of another reason they probably don't give EXP/SP... Not sure if people remember this during beta, but there was a time when people spammed the opening cutscene mobs by killing two... dcing... and then starting again and then all 3 mobs would be back for you to slaughter. They fixed this by nerfing the amount of SP and EXP to not make it worthwhile. Maybe this is there way of keeping that same exploit from happening during leves since you will probably be placed in an instance for whatever fights that show up and dcing would once again reset the whole fight. The theory for this is the same reason you can't restart failed guild leves right away.


I think instancing in the quests we already have coincide with the fact that they have cutscenes. With cutscenes comes more props and other things that need to be placed while you are doing them so what you say makes perfect sense... IF they include CS's hehe (Yes I'm very pessimistic since CS's would add alot more dev time and such to quests but Quality > Quantity is what I'm hoping for :D)

Edited, Mar 3rd 2011 5:26pm by MishaNevarian
#22 Mar 03 2011 at 4:33 PM Rating: Good
Edit: Not what I expected.



Edited, Mar 4th 2011 1:35am by SmashingtonWho
#23 Mar 03 2011 at 4:47 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
38 posts
If a get a decent story with cutscene's then I will be happy but if it just a blue text box pop up when you click the NPC and you go kill the mobs or whatever and return to get another blue box with your reward then that's pretty stupid. Like I said it would be the same as leve's without the ability to gain ranks.

I am hoping the screen shot they show is the quest accept box after you have seen the cutscene or opening to the quest, then that just pops up to accept it, surely it can't be as simple as NPC, Blue box, go.
____________________________

#24 Mar 03 2011 at 4:52 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
***
1,246 posts
I'm fairly sure you couldn't create lore and story through a blue box dialogue.
Besides it said we'll need to go and speek to mutltiple NPCs, which means we'll only see the box in the screen shot at the start of the quest and then again at the end. So it's not like the NPCs wont speak.
____________________________
Meowth!
#25 Mar 03 2011 at 5:14 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,948 posts
Olorinus the Vile wrote:
Mistress Theonehio wrote:
I recall him saying the sidequests are more for learning about eorzea and events leading up things that will be implemented soon, we don't need yet ANOTHER way to level >.>


well... but removing SP rewards from killing the actual mobs seems weird, don't you think?


You didn't get loot and barely any SP/XP from killing Garlean soldiers in main story mission as well (in fact it's the same for every other class quest/story mission), though I don't mind them Garlean drop me some of those fancy stuff.
____________________________




#26 Mar 03 2011 at 5:35 PM Rating: Good
35 posts
So checking out the quests... ONLY get the item rewards and no cutscenes but there is at LEAST some talking before you accept them >.< oh well , something to do besides leve's and behest lol
#27 Mar 03 2011 at 6:25 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
16 posts
I want a cookie for predicting this thread!

http://ffxiv.zam.com/forum.html?forum=152&mid=1298394782172643575&page=1&howmany=50#msg1298412132112227772

CannonDub wrote:
I am very excited about quests being introduced. However I think that quests will exist only to help immerse you in the world and will offer little to no SP/XP rewards for completion. I think if this turns out to be the case, we may see some upset players.

____________________________


#28 Mar 03 2011 at 6:37 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
32 posts
This is absolutely terrible news. So if I get a crystal levequest, I can slay monsters to my heart's content, getting elevated SP for each one, but if I do an NPC levequest, I get no SP at all? Even more than before, the only way to advance in rank is to kill the same mobs over and over again, day after day? Folks, really, where is the fun in that?
#29 Mar 03 2011 at 6:48 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
17 posts
CannonDub wrote:
I want a cookie for predicting this thread!

http://ffxiv.zam.com/forum.html?forum=152&mid=1298394782172643575&page=1&howmany=50#msg1298412132112227772

CannonDub wrote:
I am very excited about quests being introduced. However I think that quests will exist only to help immerse you in the world and will offer little to no SP/XP rewards for completion. I think if this turns out to be the case, we may see some upset players.



I especially liked the post just after...

Mugamaga wrote:
CannonDub wrote:
I am very excited about quests being introduced. However I think that quests will exist only to help immerse you in the world and will offer little to no SP/XP rewards for completion. I think if this turns out to be the case, we may see some upset players.


I'm fairly confident most people would be ok with that.

____________________________
#30 Mar 03 2011 at 7:18 PM Rating: Good
*
68 posts
It's disappointing, but not a deal breaker. If anyone recalls the quests from FFXI, you didn't necessarily get Experience Points from doing them. Most of the time, I would do a quest for a specific reward. Most of the quests weren't even about killing monsters. It was about obtaining a specific item, or going to a specific ??? point somewhere. Although I don't think it would break the game to give us SP/EXP based on killing any monster, (because fact is, we still fought a battle and won), I doubt that we will have any more "go kill X amount of Y." We already have so many of those as leves, I would like to think that we will get quests that aren't a repetitive grind, and actually cause us to explore some less traveled parts of the game. (Though having aggressive, high-level monsters blocking bottle-necked areas is really frustrating).

But to be perfectly honest, if the rewards are good, (new items! I want some rare/ex things that can only be gotten from quests, not just crap I could buy off the Market House >.>;), then I won't mind not getting SP from a forced-spawn mob. But if it's "hey, go kill a bunch of tigers for their teeth, and you don't get any SP/EXP while you're doing it!" Then... then I'll be mad.

Happy questing all!
#31 Mar 03 2011 at 7:27 PM Rating: Good
35 posts
Heartflame wrote:
It's disappointing, but not a deal breaker. If anyone recalls the quests from FFXI, you didn't necessarily get Experience Points from doing them. Most of the time, I would do a quest for a specific reward. Most of the quests weren't even about killing monsters. It was about obtaining a specific item, or going to a specific ??? point somewhere. Although I don't think it would break the game to give us SP/EXP based on killing any monster, (because fact is, we still fought a battle and won), I doubt that we will have any more "go kill X amount of Y." We already have so many of those as leves, I would like to think that we will get quests that aren't a repetitive grind, and actually cause us to explore some less traveled parts of the game. (Though having aggressive, high-level monsters blocking bottle-necked areas is really frustrating).

But to be perfectly honest, if the rewards are good, (new items! I want some rare/ex things that can only be gotten from quests, not just crap I could buy off the Market House >.>;), then I won't mind not getting SP from a forced-spawn mob. But if it's "hey, go kill a bunch of tigers for their teeth, and you don't get any SP/EXP while you're doing it!" Then... then I'll be mad.

Happy questing all!


Well I've done already close to 10 quests and ALL of them have been kill quests AND items u can craft/buy off AH... sad isn't it... :(
#32 Mar 03 2011 at 8:15 PM Rating: Good
*
68 posts
Hmm... I just downloaded the patch. I haven't even turned the game on yet.

I really hope there are others that are better.... I don't mind the "go to ???, pop a NM, get item" system. But if it's "kill X until you get Y amount of Z" and we don't get SP for them, then they're basically leves that don't give SP....

I really hope you're joking :/
#33 Mar 03 2011 at 8:20 PM Rating: Good
35 posts
Heartflame wrote:
Hmm... I just downloaded the patch. I haven't even turned the game on yet.

I really hope there are others that are better.... I don't mind the "go to ???, pop a NM, get item" system. But if it's "kill X until you get Y amount of Z" and we don't get SP for them, then they're basically leves that don't give SP....

I really hope you're joking :/


Nope not joking... And the mobs are only unique in names... so far not even a look alike NM xD
#34 Mar 03 2011 at 8:27 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
551 posts
Mistress Theonehio wrote:
I recall him saying the sidequests are more for learning about eorzea and events leading up things that will be implemented soon, we don't need yet ANOTHER way to level >.>


Funny, since that's what most of us wanted the **** quests for in the first place. I'm happy that you're happy grinding mobs and repeating the same **** leves every 2 days, but those of us who left that S-E supposedly is trying to get back wanted more. If this is the best Yoshi can come up with, you'd better hope there's enough suckers on PS3 launch to fill the servers for longer than a month.

____________________________



#35 Mar 03 2011 at 8:34 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
12,709 posts
Zorvan wrote:

I'm happy that you're happy grinding mobs and repeating the same **** leves every 2 days


I'm glad you're happy you assume you know what I like, since to my knowledge, I like quests that fill me in on lore or even a NPCs backstory, who knows, maybe they're the "crazy old coot" who used to be part of the Garlean empire and give us a quest that eventually leads us to learning more and more about said empire.

I'd take that over rushing to cap and doing nothing any day.

Zorvan wrote:
you'd better hope there's enough suckers on PS3 launch to fill the servers for longer than a month.


Yeah yeah yeah XIV is going to crash and burn and end service within 2 months of release etc etc etc.

____________________________

#36 Mar 03 2011 at 8:39 PM Rating: Good
17 posts
Zorvan wrote:
Mistress Theonehio wrote:
I recall him saying the sidequests are more for learning about eorzea and events leading up things that will be implemented soon, we don't need yet ANOTHER way to level >.>


Funny, since that's what most of us wanted the **** quests for in the first place. I'm happy that you're happy grinding mobs and repeating the same **** leves every 2 days, but those of us who left that S-E supposedly is trying to get back wanted more. If this is the best Yoshi can come up with, you'd better hope there's enough suckers on PS3 launch to fill the servers for longer than a month.



This was my exact sentiment. I don't get how people can say " oh no not ANOTHER way to level" when all there is to do in this game is leve or behest grind till your eyes bleed. The reason ffxi worked without having the quests give xp rewards is because it had both an immersive party / camp set up for leveling that made people want to group up and the quests in ffxi weren't half of a wow quest (kill x of y mob / for no rewards). FFXI quests were/are amazing and still have a completely different feeling of being part of the world, and the style of the new quests in ffxiv don't capture that at all.
#37 Mar 03 2011 at 8:55 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
551 posts
Mistress Theonehio wrote:
Zorvan wrote:

I'm happy that you're happy grinding mobs and repeating the same **** leves every 2 days


I'm glad you're happy you assume you know what I like, since to my knowledge, I like quests that fill me in on lore or even a NPCs backstory, who knows, maybe they're the "crazy old coot" who used to be part of the Garlean empire and give us a quest that eventually leads us to learning more and more about said empire.

I'd take that over rushing to cap and doing nothing any day.

Zorvan wrote:
you'd better hope there's enough suckers on PS3 launch to fill the servers for longer than a month.


Yeah yeah yeah XIV is going to crash and burn and end service within 2 months of release etc etc etc.



I don't have to assume anything. You said there's no need for another way to level, which means you are happy grinding mobs and doing lame repeatable leves every two days. Oh, guess I should throw in the oh-so-entertaining behest in there too.

I'm glad you find it amusing about my comment regarding the PS3 launch ( which is this game's re-launch), because whether you like it or not, console players will be even more hard to please than PC players when it comes to having to spend all their time grinding crap instead of enjoying the story you think is so great.
____________________________



#38 Mar 03 2011 at 9:05 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*****
12,709 posts
Zorvan wrote:

I don't have to assume anything. You said there's no need for another way to level


So the fact it's already beyond easy to reach cap (even though there's no reason to currently) means there should be even more ways to speed up that process despite the severe lack of need to do so?

If people want content, why can't it be in the form of level progression since in all actuality we don't really need another way to level.



Edited, Mar 3rd 2011 7:08pm by Theonehio
____________________________

#39 Mar 03 2011 at 9:07 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
551 posts
Mistress Theonehio wrote:
Zorvan wrote:

I don't have to assume anything. You said there's no need for another way to level


So the fact it's already beyond easy to reach cap (even though there's no reason to currently) means there should be even more ways to speed up that process despite the severe lack of need to do so?

If people want content, why can't it be can't that isn't in the form of level progression since in all actuality we don't really need another way to level.

Edited, Mar 3rd 2011 7:05pm by Theonehio


Noone is asking that you get a level per quest, so get off the "speed to cap" train. It's called variety, this game has little in the way of variety when it comes to leveling.
____________________________



#40 Mar 03 2011 at 9:11 PM Rating: Good
***
1,636 posts
Mistress Theonehio wrote:
Zorvan wrote:

I don't have to assume anything. You said there's no need for another way to level


So the fact it's already beyond easy to reach cap (even though there's no reason to currently) means there should be even more ways to speed up that process despite the severe lack of need to do so?

If people want content, why can't it be in the form of level progression since in all actuality we don't really need another way to level.



Edited, Mar 3rd 2011 7:08pm by Theonehio


More ways to level would (hopefully) mean broader gameplay and appealing to a broader range of players. Options are a good thing.
____________________________


#41 Mar 03 2011 at 9:12 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
12,709 posts
KujaKoF wrote:
Mistress Theonehio wrote:
Zorvan wrote:

I don't have to assume anything. You said there's no need for another way to level


So the fact it's already beyond easy to reach cap (even though there's no reason to currently) means there should be even more ways to speed up that process despite the severe lack of need to do so?

If people want content, why can't it be in the form of level progression since in all actuality we don't really need another way to level.



Edited, Mar 3rd 2011 7:08pm by Theonehio


More ways to level would (hopefully) mean broader gameplay and appealing to a broader range of players. Options are a good thing.


So is fixing the game, which is the priority right now and why there won't be "more options" till they're satisfied with the foundation.
____________________________

#42 Mar 03 2011 at 9:33 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
Mistress Theonehio wrote:
I recall him saying the sidequests are more for learning about eorzea and events leading up things that will be implemented soon, we don't need yet ANOTHER way to level >.>


God forbid...I mean I can hardly make up my mind on whether to do leves or behests!! imagine making quests another viable option!! Jesus Christ. You know I hang around these boards a lot and all we get from you is an "i'm content with anything" attitude...its ok to like something but don't be empty up top, its ok to dispute stuff.
____________________________
MUTED
#43 Mar 03 2011 at 9:35 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
Mistress Theonehio wrote:
So is fixing the game, which is the priority right now and why there won't be "more options" till they're satisfied with the foundation.


Jeeez why am I not surprised? again, its ok to dispute something. If they are working on "foundation" they wouldn't have even released quests. You seem to think that there's 4 or 5 people working on this game, trust me there's enough bodies so let SE take care of the workload and its allocation and you tell them what you want different.
____________________________
MUTED
#44 Mar 03 2011 at 9:45 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
12,709 posts
SolidMack wrote:
Mistress Theonehio wrote:
So is fixing the game, which is the priority right now and why there won't be "more options" till they're satisfied with the foundation.


Jeeez why am I not surprised? again, its ok to dispute something. If they are working on "foundation" they wouldn't have even released quests. You seem to think that there's 4 or 5 people working on this game, trust me there's enough bodies so let SE take care of the workload and its allocation and you tell them what you want different.


Yeah it is pretty common knowledge people assume SE doesn't work like a typical game development studio (some even say they're "retarded"), since maybe it's just the biased part of me that feels they'd be smart to sticking with fixing the game instead of releasing a ton of content ontop of it to make matters worse for them down the line. Yoshida even commented on how he'd rather get fixes out of the way so they can fully focus on adding content. For example:

Quote:
Q. To that end, are there any plans on changing how food is consumed? Right now the effects are unknown and the community is confused as to how to use food.

A. Yoshida-san is aware of the problem and wants to address it, but admitted that the priority right now is the battle system. He indicated that he needs to proceed in this order because, for example, if they were to address food effects to make it so that food was being consumed for every battle right now, once the battle system changes, it might end up not being necessary or helpful. Yoshida-san feels the need to adjust the battle system first since it is the cornerstone of the game. He can then can address how food, for example, will play a part in the battle.


When they finish redoing the foundation of the game, what about the content they released ontop of the old one? The quest system is likely the whole purpose of these current additions, since in all of their MMOs the first line of quests have always been very blah. The game didn't even have a basic quest system in it yet beyond Guildleves.

Also, I'm not "content with anything", I'm just not ready to ***** and moan about everything I personally dislike like others may be quick to do so and rather see things play out because any concerns I have they already mentioned they'll be addressing, so why would I continue to complain about it?

____________________________

#45 Mar 03 2011 at 10:31 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
Well don't ***** and moan but you don't have to shoot everyone down who does. I agree I don't think these quests are the do all end all and I know Yoshida said he's working on the "foundations" of the battle system but that has nothing to do with quests...whether you kill a mob with a pole or a stick or while you're buried to your knees in horse ****, a quest is a quest. I'm sure these are just the beginning of something bigger, and they'll surely get better with time but you sure try and defend everything this game pushes out...you've been doing it since beta and when they change something you were even in favor of at one time, you will defend its replacement to no end as if this game is your baby.
____________________________
MUTED
#46 Mar 03 2011 at 10:49 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
12,709 posts
However in terms of leveling through quests? It's already easy enough to reach the cap, but there's a severe lack of reason to want to have this process sped up, because despite what people want to say, if you give people multiple options to level they'll utilize them all at once to hit cap quicker.

This has been true for MMOs for as long as I can remember, unless I missed the train where people will only use one form of leveling to level even given the option of 4-20 ways to do so.




Edited, Mar 3rd 2011 8:49pm by Theonehio
____________________________

#47 Mar 03 2011 at 11:36 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,636 posts
Mistress Theonehio wrote:
However in terms of leveling through quests? It's already easy enough to reach the cap, but there's a severe lack of reason to want to have this process sped up, because despite what people want to say, if you give people multiple options to level they'll utilize them all at once to hit cap quicker.

This has been true for MMOs for as long as I can remember, unless I missed the train where people will only use one form of leveling to level even given the option of 4-20 ways to do so.




Edited, Mar 3rd 2011 8:49pm by Theonehio


Again, how is that a bad thing. Its not like its a multiplier, you can still only do one thing at a time. I stopped playing because I don't want to kill 50 levels worth of mobs for X jobs I want to level. Its boring, and I'd love some variance in my gameplay. Today I want to do some quests, tomorrow I may want to grind, and on friday night maybe I want to party until 3am, I'd love a game where those options are pretty even and I can play how I want to.

You've mentioned you want them to come up with a foundation first, and I can get behind that. But they're short on time and patience, and there is zero reason they can't start working on a few things at the same time.
____________________________


#48 Mar 04 2011 at 12:00 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,339 posts
Mistress Theonehio wrote:
I recall him saying the sidequests are more for learning about eorzea and events leading up things that will be implemented soon, we don't need yet ANOTHER way to level >.>


You, and others, have *yet* to explain exactly why people don't need another way to level.

"I don't like questing for EXP" is not a viable answer.
#49 Mar 04 2011 at 3:31 AM Rating: Decent
**
568 posts
HOORAY FOR NO SP REWARDS! =D


On second thought I'm doing this quest where I'm supposed to collect 8 mamrmot pelts. All the marmots I've killed so far yield sp &xp am I doing it wrong? Are there somewhere instanced mobs for this quest that are the specific thistletail marmots I need to kill that don't give SP? I don't care about the sp I just want to complete the quest.

So either this post is all lies or I'm wasting my time killing the wrong mobs.
#50 Mar 04 2011 at 3:39 AM Rating: Decent
***
3,416 posts
Quote:
You, and others, have *yet* to explain exactly why people don't need another way to level.

"I don't like questing for EXP" is not a viable answer.


Because this is a side-activity, plain and simple. A poorly executed side-activity, but still a side-activity.
____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#51 Mar 04 2011 at 3:53 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,948 posts
seiferdincht wrote:
HOORAY FOR NO SP REWARDS! =D


On second thought I'm doing this quest where I'm supposed to collect 8 mamrmot pelts. All the marmots I've killed so far yield sp &xp am I doing it wrong? Are there somewhere instanced mobs for this quest that are the specific thistletail marmots I need to kill that don't give SP? I don't care about the sp I just want to complete the quest.

So either this post is all lies or I'm wasting my time killing the wrong mobs.


You need to open Quest Journal, click on Map. The Marmots you need are Bristletaile not normal Thristletail.
____________________________




« Previous 1 2
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 13 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (13)