Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
This Forum is Read Only

"Aggressive" Icon looks like a bad bake sale flyerFollow

#1 Mar 03 2011 at 8:53 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
523 posts
I'm fairly happy with the patch, but the aggressive monster icon looks like something my mom would have put "50 CENTS!" into on our bake sale brownies in high school.

Definitely not FF material IMO.
#2 Mar 03 2011 at 8:55 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
46 posts
Solution: Exchange it for a Chocobo.
#3 Mar 03 2011 at 10:48 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
2,000 posts
Alternate Solution: give players the ability to toggle the display of these icons on or off.
____________________________
#4 Mar 03 2011 at 10:53 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
1,948 posts
Alternate solution: Inflate size of all agressive mobs to King Kong size and make they glow rainbow colour.
____________________________




#5 Mar 03 2011 at 10:54 PM Rating: Excellent
**
800 posts
I would have preferred if they just replaced the normal color shield icon with something to mark it as aggressive. Putting it right next to the name is a bit too much in my opinion.
#6 Mar 03 2011 at 11:42 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
here's a solution for all you nit pickers - use /names and turn all names off...that will definitely immerse you all in the game.
____________________________
MUTED
#7 Mar 03 2011 at 11:54 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
I love the "If you don't like this new feature that makes the game easier while making it look gaudy, do something to remove the gaudyness that will make the game more difficult than it needs to be."

For all the people who argue "Why not just have an option to toggle it on or off?" I have never seen a group of people who actually think that NOT having an option to toggle something on or off THAT IS A MATTER OF PERSONAL PREFERENCE is a GOOD THING, and that telling the people who want to be able to toggle it on and off that they should toggle NPC names off altogether is somehow an acceptable workaround.

I swear, between FFXI and FFXIV, it's like Square Enix draws in an exorbitant amount of players who vehemently oppose the idea of customization. Everybody HAS to play the game the EXACT same way or else. Any attempts to make the game look slightly different by removing something someone doesn't want to see, even if it has NO EFFECT ON YOU WHATSOEVER if someone does or does not see something, are verboten to the highest degree.

Seriously, can they not just add an option to toggle these markers and the !s on and off?

Is the concept that some people might want to turn these things off, even if it has no effect on the people who leave it on, such a terrible, horrible thing?
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#8 Mar 03 2011 at 11:56 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
I don't care if people want or if SE gives us the option to toggle it tbh, and thanks for rating me down Makhaila :) but i just found it funny that floating names above peoples' heads was ok but god forbid icons because of immersion. That's all.
____________________________
MUTED
#9 Mar 04 2011 at 12:02 AM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
SolidMack wrote:
I don't care if people want or if SE gives us the option to toggle it tbh, and thanks for rating me down Makhaila :) but i just found it funny that floating names above peoples' heads was ok but god forbid icons because of immersion. That's all.


Your post was already default before I posted anything. I must not be the only one that disagrees with you.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#10 Mar 04 2011 at 12:04 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
I just explained myself...I guess quit being presumptuous.
____________________________
MUTED
#11 Mar 04 2011 at 12:07 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
181 posts
The ! and * icons aren't a big deal, that's why, so they're not wasting their time on implementing that feature.

Seriously suck it up.

What next, QQ about seeing linkshell emblems near a name? QQ about seeing guildleve scroll icons near monster names?

Enough's enough, this isn't a big deal, use the /names option.
#12 Mar 04 2011 at 12:13 AM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
syrusDRK wrote:
The ! and * icons aren't a big deal, that's why, so they're not wasting their time on implementing that feature.

Seriously suck it up.

What next, QQ about seeing linkshell emblems near a name? QQ about seeing guildleve scroll icons near monster names?

Enough's enough, this isn't a big deal, use the /names option.


This is exactly what I'm talking about. Only a Final Fantasy MMORPG could have a player who is so self centered in "playing the game the way I want" that the way anyone else wants to play is completely irrelevant.

"It's not a big deal to me, therefore it shouldn't be a big deal to anyone, so everyone else needs to deal with it because I like it the way it is".

Isn't this the same argument that was made by the people that liked the game BEFORE the changes? And everyone was trying to explain to them "Just because YOU like the game doesn't mean everyone else does"?

So now that the shoe is on the other foot, the same people who were saying "Stop telling us to suck it up and play the game the way it is" are now saying "Suck it up and play the game the way it is"?

For every feature that is and isn't added, and for every feature that is argued over and for every feature that will get argued over, I have never known any game but FFXI and FFXIV to draw as many people with the "I want the game to be designed the way I want it, and to **** with anyone else who things differently" mentality.

Seriously. Every single one of these topics about every single feature comes down to that; There are always some people willing to compromise, but there's always people on both sides of the fence that have this "The game needs to be done the way -I- like it and anyone who doesn't like it that way can quit and go away" mentality.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#13 Mar 04 2011 at 12:19 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
181 posts
I'm not saying anything about my personal opinion on them, I'm saying those icons REALLY aren't a big deal. Asking for a toggle option is as pointless as asking for an option to make all lalafell invisible because their short cuteness insults me.

It's just a waste of time and nitpicking to the max.

Also you sort of proved your own thing, you seem to be taking this whole "I want this feature and **** you if you think it's dumb!" mentality.

Anyway, I'm all for change, but meaningful, GOOD change. The dev team tries to relieve some frustration in the game by adding these small, discrete helping icons and instead people want more "hardcore" massochist-like features because they think it'll help them be immersed.

Icons won't break immersion, if you want a game with no HUD, go play Dead Space, it's awesome.
#14 Mar 04 2011 at 12:27 AM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
You start with:

syrusDRK wrote:
I'm not saying anything about my personal opinion on them


Your opinion is underlined:

syrusDRK wrote:
I'm not saying anything about my personal opinion on them, I'm saying those icons REALLY aren't a big deal. (They're not a big deal to you, they may be to other people. Opinion.) Asking for a toggle option is as pointless as asking for an option to make all lalafell invisible because their short cuteness insults me.

It's just a waste of time and nitpicking to the max. (Waste of time to you, not a waste of time to others. Opinion.)

Also you sort of proved your own thing, you seem to be taking this whole "I want this feature and @#%^ you if you think it's dumb!" mentality.

Anyway, I'm all for change, but meaningful, GOOD change. (To some people, it would be a meaningful, good change. Meaningful and good are subjective, and therefore opinion.) The dev team tries to relieve some frustration in the game by adding these small, discrete helping icons and instead people want more "hardcore" massochist-like features because they think it'll help them be immersed. (You see them as "hardcore" or "*********", both opinion. Some people just think they're an eyesore. Also opinion, but no less valid than yours.)

Icons won't break immersion, if you want a game with no HUD, go play Dead Space, it's awesome.


So after starting a post with "I'm not saying anything about [your] personal opinion" and then saying everything about your personal opinion, what makes your opinion so **** important that people who disagree with you should "just live with it"?

If people don't want to see them, they shouldn't have to.

Now, you tell me how someone else being able to turn them off and you being to leave them on hurts you at all. Why should they be forced to choose between "Either leave it on and deal with the ugly things or turn all names off for everyone" when they should have the option to JUST turn off the icons? They win, you win, everyone wins.

Or does it really have to be "You win, no one else wins, everyone else suck it up"?
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#15 Mar 04 2011 at 12:37 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
*
181 posts
It doesn't affect me and if they add it, great, but I think it's just silly that people are getting so bent out of shape over it.

I've still yet to hear a good reason for how it breaks immersion though, because most games, especially MMOs (FFXI included) have an interface, one that helps relay valuable information to the player so time isn't wasted. Time is a very valuable resource that cannot be renewed.

#16 Mar 04 2011 at 1:06 AM Rating: Good
Sage
*
175 posts
I'm going to have to agree that nitpicking over icons is a bit silly. Also, no offense to you Mik, but you don't even play the game, not sure why you are arguing for or against adding features.
____________________________


#17 Mar 04 2011 at 3:57 AM Rating: Good
*
132 posts
I don't honestly see why we need the icons at all. Seriously, how hard is it to realize something aggros or not? Hmm, lets see, its a gigantic scorpion/ drake/ raptor/ ogre/ glowing angry ball of fire/ etc... Come on, you don't even need a higher level of consciousness to realize whether something aggros or not with 97% accuracy. Even an animal could realize it just by how a monster looks alone.

And even for the few that slip through, you probably won't ever make the same mistake twice for that mob. Sure, you might not realize those (now gigantic) chigoes aggro the first time, but you certainly will remember it the next time you see one. At this point the icon is irrelevant. (again.)

The icon doesn't even tell you HOW a monster aggros, or I could see it being at least somewhat useful as a trade off to it's hideousness.

Honestly, if you REALLY need this thing to tell you if something aggros, then SE needs a filter to make it something you can display, and set it to off by default. Likewise for the quest indicator. You can have a tutorial NPC that tells you the basic functions under the configuration menu and let you know about those features if you want them, but don't start off by breaking the immersion right off the bat, let the players decide if they want to do that individually. The game is already hurting badly for immersion and ways for you to get attached to the world, and these easy-mode indicators don't help this any.
____________________________

#18 Mar 04 2011 at 5:41 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
*
176 posts
They could have just used that skull icon they removed from enemy marking...
____________________________

TERA looks tasty...
#19 Mar 04 2011 at 6:06 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
353 posts
Frankly, it seems ridiculous that people can consider this to be an issue worth ******** about, I guess considering the game's been out 5 months now all the other things have become stale? I'm sure eventually it'll be changed to be on the nameplate or something, this just seems like a relatively speedy fix.

The forums are coming online next week, so save up all that rage and prepare a mighty topic about how awful it is there. Perhaps Yoshi'll organise for the team to fix it next patch instead of dealing with something more important that could take up the time?

Saying "Only a Final Fantasy MMORPG could have a player who is so self centered" Is ridiculous and naive, especially when applied to such a small and forgettable feature of a game you apparently don't even play, Mik. Makes me wonder if you've actually ventured outside recently and dealt with the general public recently.

Edited, Mar 4th 2011 7:07am by Dlaqev
#20 Mar 04 2011 at 6:08 AM Rating: Default
Sage
**
551 posts
The icon is perfectly fine. Stop playing on your antique CRT at 800 x 600 resolution and you'd see there's no problem.
____________________________



#21 Mar 04 2011 at 6:28 AM Rating: Excellent
*
132 posts
Zorvan wrote:
The icon is perfectly fine. Stop playing on your antique CRT at 800 x 600 resolution and you'd see there's no problem.


I play on 1900 x 1200. The icon is huge and disgustingly obvious. I don't know how that's possible, seeing as how the fonts seem so tiny and hard to read on such a high resolution, but apparently it is.
____________________________

#22 Mar 04 2011 at 6:34 AM Rating: Default
Sage
**
551 posts
PsionCrystalis wrote:
Zorvan wrote:
The icon is perfectly fine. Stop playing on your antique CRT at 800 x 600 resolution and you'd see there's no problem.


I play on 1900 x 1200. The icon is huge and disgustingly obvious. I don't know how that's possible, seeing as how the fonts seem so tiny and hard to read on such a high resolution, but apparently it is.


I play at 1920 x 1080, and it looks fine. Maybe you're allergic to the color red or something.

I also play zoomed out a bit, so if you're one of those who plays with the camera stuck up their toons ****, maybe that would make it seem bigger.:p

Edited, Mar 4th 2011 7:36am by Zorvan
____________________________



#23 Mar 04 2011 at 6:57 AM Rating: Excellent
*****
16,959 posts
While we're on the topic of minor complaints, I dislike the slightly larger LS emblems and bazaar icons:
Screenshot
Screenshot
____________________________
MyAnimeList FFXIV Krystal Spoonless
#24 Mar 04 2011 at 7:06 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
523 posts
Point was, it looks cheesy.
#25 Mar 04 2011 at 7:06 AM Rating: Good
****
7,819 posts
I found out what the Icons were the hard way yestarday. A raptop bit me in half while I was trying to get one of the port gates. 3800 damage is impressive for only having 360 hp.
____________________________
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v619/ImGatomon/Request.jpg

. “Power even if it is raw uncontrolled potential is just as dangerous as a trained assassin. It is unpredictable and deadly if your are not prepared." ~Gatomon From the story A Fox Among Wolves.
#26 Mar 04 2011 at 7:24 AM Rating: Excellent
***
1,636 posts
I don't really like the icon all that much, mainly cause I can see most areas towards then endgame where more things are going to have the icon than not. I would have preferred a more subtle name color change.
____________________________


#27 Mar 04 2011 at 9:22 AM Rating: Default
*
86 posts
Alkerr wrote:
I'm going to have to agree that nitpicking over icons is a bit silly. Also, no offense to you Mik, but you don't even play the game, not sure why you are arguing for or against adding features.


wow great post this is the main problem with this forum. everyone has an opinion but most have not even turned on the game.

However as someone with a rank 50 class and HAS played the game with the new updates i gotta say quest markers AND aggro markers are no big deal. I hardly noticed them and you no what not having easy ways to do things is what made FF11 a joke of a userbase compared to wow. Face it people... wow has casual players (a lot of casuals) and if you do not have casual systems in place you will get a low userbase just like FF11. The funny part is markers IN NO WAY make the game easier it just takes away that time wasting element of looking for a NPC....

I love how people want an AH because the MW is "time consuming" but quest markers needs to go because you guys want to waste more time looking for quest givers? thats makes ZERO sense.

FF11 is merging servers again this week right?
#28 Mar 04 2011 at 9:59 AM Rating: Decent
*
130 posts
dnored wrote:
Alkerr wrote:
I'm going to have to agree that nitpicking over icons is a bit silly. Also, no offense to you Mik, but you don't even play the game, not sure why you are arguing for or against adding features.


wow great post this is the main problem with this forum. everyone has an opinion but most have not even turned on the game.

However as someone with a rank 50 class and HAS played the game with the new updates i gotta say quest markers AND aggro markers are no big deal. I hardly noticed them and you no what not having easy ways to do things is what made FF11 a joke of a userbase compared to wow. Face it people... wow has casual players (a lot of casuals) and if you do not have casual systems in place you will get a low userbase just like FF11. The funny part is markers IN NO WAY make the game easier it just takes away that time wasting element of looking for a NPC....

I love how people want an AH because the MW is "time consuming" but quest markers needs to go because you guys want to waste more time looking for quest givers? thats makes ZERO sense.

FF11 is merging servers again this week right?


And I have to say that, as a casual player playing FFXIV (see my sign, I still don't have a class at rank50, neither my physical level at 50), those markers are not a big deal to YOU. I could totally live without them (i.e. having the option to turn them on/off as suggested by Mikhalia) but in the meantime I don't mind that much. As far as I know, they are very visible and it's pretty hard not to notice them (I mean, it's kind of the purpose of them, to be visible...).
What decrease the interest of people was mostly the huge time sink to do a lot of intersting things (NM camping took hours, dynamis was hours run for ****** drop rate, Kirin fight was hours fight if not zerged but then it took so much time to get ready and it took too much time anyways). Maybe some were hit by the difficulty of some things ('easy way to do things') but then it's more a problem of skills and people wanting easy mob because they don't have the skills to do difficult challenges (CoP before nerf). Also the fact that for a lot of quest, you had no idea what to do, which could have been easily corrected here by simply orienting a tad more (I was very often wondering how the **** people figured out what to in a given quest).
One of the best example to me was RDM Maat fight. I was hearing so many people that it was so **** hard to do so when I attained the level to do it, I went just to check how it was and almost win at the first attempt (did on second though and I was like really? how is that so **** difficult) and it was not a time sink, it was just supposed to be challenging.
FFXIV also has a lot of casual players (check the poll results about the playtime) and has a lot of casual features also and still it's playerbase is low due to different matters than FFXI so the analogy is futile.
Again, the markers makes things easier because you know where to look for NPCs that give quests and in the end, where there is downtime (like party getting ready for leves, waiting for someone that went to the bathroom), you would just ended up waiting in front of the screen rather than walk around to talk to random NPC and have the SURPRISE to trigger a quest. So again, it's not really wasting more time, it's more about using the downtime to do something that can be rewarding.
As it was said already many time, casual does not mean 'easy mode', it means that someone doesn't have too much time to play and things shouldn't take hours. It does not take hours to randomly talk to NPCs (a few minutes on the way to grabbing leves or going to the wards or to a guild to spend points/get a rank quest). One does not have to talk to ALL the NPCs of ALL the cities everytime he gains a rank, that's just not optimizing playing time.
And about the AH, it's been a while since we haven't seen a thread or complains about that, the market wards are now functionnal (not as efficient as an AH but good enough to find an item in a very reasonnable amount of time).
I'm not even going to talk about the FFXI sever merge because it's just trolling...
____________________________

yfaithfully wrote:
To add to those, if you can get this DeLorean up to 88 MPH, you'll be able to play this game in 2019 when they've finally implemented mounts.

#29 Mar 04 2011 at 10:22 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,571 posts
I like the marker because some mobs at certain levels don't aggro but those same mobs at higher lvls DO aggro.

Re. Doe's.
____________________________


#30 Mar 04 2011 at 12:44 PM Rating: Default
*
86 posts
Carmillia wrote:
dnored wrote:
Alkerr wrote:
I'm going to have to agree that nitpicking over icons is a bit silly. Also, no offense to you Mik, but you don't even play the game, not sure why you are arguing for or against adding features.


wow great post this is the main problem with this forum. everyone has an opinion but most have not even turned on the game.

However as someone with a rank 50 class and HAS played the game with the new updates i gotta say quest markers AND aggro markers are no big deal. I hardly noticed them and you no what not having easy ways to do things is what made FF11 a joke of a userbase compared to wow. Face it people... wow has casual players (a lot of casuals) and if you do not have casual systems in place you will get a low userbase just like FF11. The funny part is markers IN NO WAY make the game easier it just takes away that time wasting element of looking for a NPC....

I love how people want an AH because the MW is "time consuming" but quest markers needs to go because you guys want to waste more time looking for quest givers? thats makes ZERO sense.

FF11 is merging servers again this week right?


And I have to say that, as a casual player playing FFXIV (see my sign, I still don't have a class at rank50, neither my physical level at 50), those markers are not a big deal to YOU. I could totally live without them (i.e. having the option to turn them on/off as suggested by Mikhalia) but in the meantime I don't mind that much. As far as I know, they are very visible and it's pretty hard not to notice them (I mean, it's kind of the purpose of them, to be visible...).
What decrease the interest of people was mostly the huge time sink to do a lot of intersting things (NM camping took hours, dynamis was hours run for sh*tty drop rate, Kirin fight was hours fight if not zerged but then it took so much time to get ready and it took too much time anyways). Maybe some were hit by the difficulty of some things ('easy way to do things') but then it's more a problem of skills and people wanting easy mob because they don't have the skills to do difficult challenges (CoP before nerf). Also the fact that for a lot of quest, you had no idea what to do, which could have been easily corrected here by simply orienting a tad more (I was very often wondering how the **** people figured out what to in a given quest).
One of the best example to me was RDM Maat fight. I was hearing so many people that it was so **** hard to do so when I attained the level to do it, I went just to check how it was and almost win at the first attempt (did on second though and I was like really? how is that so **** difficult) and it was not a time sink, it was just supposed to be challenging.
FFXIV also has a lot of casual players (check the poll results about the playtime) and has a lot of casual features also and still it's playerbase is low due to different matters than FFXI so the analogy is futile.
Again, the markers makes things easier because you know where to look for NPCs that give quests and in the end, where there is downtime (like party getting ready for leves, waiting for someone that went to the bathroom), you would just ended up waiting in front of the screen rather than walk around to talk to random NPC and have the SURPRISE to trigger a quest. So again, it's not really wasting more time, it's more about using the downtime to do something that can be rewarding.
As it was said already many time, casual does not mean 'easy mode', it means that someone doesn't have too much time to play and things shouldn't take hours. It does not take hours to randomly talk to NPCs (a few minutes on the way to grabbing leves or going to the wards or to a guild to spend points/get a rank quest). One does not have to talk to ALL the NPCs of ALL the cities everytime he gains a rank, that's just not optimizing playing time.
And about the AH, it's been a while since we haven't seen a thread or complains about that, the market wards are now functionnal (not as efficient as an AH but good enough to find an item in a very reasonnable amount of time).
I'm not even going to talk about the FFXI sever merge because it's just trolling...


1st just because YOU can live without them does not mean EVERYONE can. SE needs to be able to work with all players and looking for random NPCS in a game as big as this IS a time waste. I want to do the QUEST not waste time FINDING the quest. When i said i hardly notice them i meant like everyone esle it does not stop/bother my gameplay. to ***** about helpful markers that DO NOT in anyway take away from YOUR gameplay is trolling.

Next i played ff11 for 6 years buddy i seen it at the top of its game and at the bottom. People left because EVERYTHING was a huge time sink. Need proof? See all the new updates they made everything easier and faster to get. You basicly said what i was saying so i dunno what your talking about in this part of your post. But i will some it up for you. FF11 was a huge time sink from leveling up all the way to end game and people left because of it. SE does NOT need to make that same mistake. AGAIN just because there is a marker on a NPCs head DOES NOT MAKE THE GAME "EASYMODE". it only means you do not have to look up quest on the internet which YOU do. So why have a PC next to you when it can be in game?

FF14 failed not cause of your fake "easymode" it failed because it sucked. stating otherwise means you have no clue what your talking about and im wasting my time talking to you. People do not want "downtime" in a game they want "CONTENT" and things to do. All markers do is help you get to the CONTENT. All ff11 did was put barriers in FRONT of the CONTENT so you would waste more time in the game. This is not a good way to KEEP people playing. FF14 is on the right track of taking certain time wasting systems (or as you call it "Downtime lol") OUT of the game and letting us reach the CONTENT faster.

And oh about the AH its been a while but you could not answer the question. why is that? MW=time waster AH= fast better. Same thing here. Quest markers=fast and better Looking for random NPCs/Surfing internet to find said NPCS= time waster.

Lastly of course im trolling when i speak about ff11 because im right and your wrong and you have no arguement. People want to sign in and have FUN not sign in and run for hours to find quests. If you want to run allday and get nothin done go play ff11 (which is not like that anymore with the lastest updates so even SE agrees with me).
#31 Mar 04 2011 at 12:51 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
259 posts
Meh, I dont like it because it makes it look the aggressive mobs are in a linkshell or something. Something more subtle would work better.
#32 Mar 04 2011 at 1:01 PM Rating: Good
*
175 posts
PsionCrystalis wrote:
Zorvan wrote:
The icon is perfectly fine. Stop playing on your antique CRT at 800 x 600 resolution and you'd see there's no problem.


I play on 1900 x 1200. The icon is huge and disgustingly obvious. I don't know how that's possible, seeing as how the fonts seem so tiny and hard to read on such a high resolution, but apparently it is.


Sigmakan wrote:
Meh, I dont like it because it makes it look the aggressive mobs are in a linkshell or something. Something more subtle would work better.


I don't like it either. It looks cheesy, get rid of it.
____________________________
BST90/BLM90/RDM75/WHM80/BRD75/NIN75/SMN75/THF75/WAR75; Goldsmithing 93; Fishing 100; Ebisu Rod.
#33 Mar 04 2011 at 1:13 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
597 posts
Sigmakan wrote:
Meh, I dont like it because it makes it look the aggressive mobs are in a linkshell or something. Something more subtle would work better.


They're telling each other where you are and where you're headed so they can position some nasty-looking ogres in your path somewhere. ;P
____________________________
WoW - Andorhal
Darkkiwi - 85 Gnome Unholy Death Knight - <Flaming Bunnies>
Lightkiwi - 72 Gnome Disc Priest - <Flaming Bunnies>
Kwanita - 82 Gnome Frost Mage - <Flaming Bunnies>
Maglyn - 81 Gnome Protection Warrior - <Flaming Bunnies>


Don't play that game anymore. :P
#34 Mar 04 2011 at 1:21 PM Rating: Excellent
7 posts
Put it next to their con symbol when you target them. There is no need to blind me. It looks totally dumb in caves or dungeons. I have a screen shot, but I guess I need premium to illustrate my point... Anyway, giant bright red dots are dumb in dark black caves.
#35 Mar 04 2011 at 1:49 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
546 posts
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
syrusDRK wrote:
The ! and * icons aren't a big deal, that's why, so they're not wasting their time on implementing that feature.

Seriously suck it up.

What next, QQ about seeing linkshell emblems near a name? QQ about seeing guildleve scroll icons near monster names?

Enough's enough, this isn't a big deal, use the /names option.


This is exactly what I'm talking about. Only a Final Fantasy MMORPG could have a player who is so self centered in "playing the game the way I want" that the way anyone else wants to play is completely irrelevant.

"It's not a big deal to me, therefore it shouldn't be a big deal to anyone, so everyone else needs to deal with it because I like it the way it is".

Isn't this the same argument that was made by the people that liked the game BEFORE the changes? And everyone was trying to explain to them "Just because YOU like the game doesn't mean everyone else does"?

So now that the shoe is on the other foot, the same people who were saying "Stop telling us to suck it up and play the game the way it is" are now saying "Suck it up and play the game the way it is"?

For every feature that is and isn't added, and for every feature that is argued over and for every feature that will get argued over, I have never known any game but FFXI and FFXIV to draw as many people with the "I want the game to be designed the way I want it, and to **** with anyone else who things differently" mentality.

Seriously. Every single one of these topics about every single feature comes down to that; There are always some people willing to compromise, but there's always people on both sides of the fence that have this "The game needs to be done the way -I- like it and anyone who doesn't like it that way can quit and go away" mentality.




you are the most self-centered , self righteous person Ive ever seen on any game forum in 12 years. Funny comments
#36 Mar 04 2011 at 1:51 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
546 posts
Oh btw, the Red icons showing aggression are downright disgusting. And Id rather not turn the names of EVERYTHING off, so yes id perfer an option to get rid of it. Not a fan of the Huge font change either whenever a name comes within range, perferred old method, but I dont mind the Mob size changes.
#37 Mar 04 2011 at 2:12 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
Avatar
**
325 posts
The marker is a great feature to have but being able to toggle it is an even greater feature :)
____________________________
FFXIV
Name: Z'veagan Brolz
Server: Ultros
Linkshell/FC: Lootwhorindramafest
#38 Mar 04 2011 at 2:38 PM Rating: Default
*
86 posts
HIGHTONE wrote:
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
syrusDRK wrote:
The ! and * icons aren't a big deal, that's why, so they're not wasting their time on implementing that feature.

Seriously suck it up.

What next, QQ about seeing linkshell emblems near a name? QQ about seeing guildleve scroll icons near monster names?

Enough's enough, this isn't a big deal, use the /names option.


This is exactly what I'm talking about. Only a Final Fantasy MMORPG could have a player who is so self centered in "playing the game the way I want" that the way anyone else wants to play is completely irrelevant.

"It's not a big deal to me, therefore it shouldn't be a big deal to anyone, so everyone else needs to deal with it because I like it the way it is".

Isn't this the same argument that was made by the people that liked the game BEFORE the changes? And everyone was trying to explain to them "Just because YOU like the game doesn't mean everyone else does"?

So now that the shoe is on the other foot, the same people who were saying "Stop telling us to suck it up and play the game the way it is" are now saying "Suck it up and play the game the way it is"?

For every feature that is and isn't added, and for every feature that is argued over and for every feature that will get argued over, I have never known any game but FFXI and FFXIV to draw as many people with the "I want the game to be designed the way I want it, and to **** with anyone else who things differently" mentality.

Seriously. Every single one of these topics about every single feature comes down to that; There are always some people willing to compromise, but there's always people on both sides of the fence that have this "The game needs to be done the way -I- like it and anyone who doesn't like it that way can quit and go away" mentality.




you are the most self-centered , self righteous person Ive ever seen on any game forum in 12 years. Funny comments


I lol'ed
#39 Mar 04 2011 at 2:42 PM Rating: Default
*
86 posts
Veagan wrote:
The marker is a great feature to have but being able to toggle it is an even greater feature :)


Great post and its true. hope SE doesnt listen to the babies that can not see past FF11 and adds to the feature not just outright take it away.
#40 Mar 04 2011 at 3:06 PM Rating: Excellent
**
291 posts
Kirby the Eccentric wrote:
While we're on the topic of minor complaints, I dislike the slightly larger LS emblems and bazaar icons:
Screenshot
Screenshot


Completely agree...maybe I can control them by adjusting font in the FFXIV Config
____________________________

#41 Mar 04 2011 at 3:22 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
*
213 posts
i kinda liked not knowing if a monster was aggressive unless someone told me or i personally walked up to it to find out the hard way, but thats just my opinion. anyways i dont have access to the game at the time being can someone link a picture of the icon please?
#42 Mar 04 2011 at 4:06 PM Rating: Good
35 posts
Kirby the Eccentric wrote:
While we're on the topic of minor complaints, I dislike the slightly larger LS emblems and bazaar icons:
[img=190100][img=190103]


Ya I noticed this too, surprised we still cant turn off our OWN names only and keep everything/everyone Else's up! With the increase in these icons and the new ones which are obviously bigger then they need to be (WAAAY bigger) and increase to monster size my avatar is feeling RLY puny right about now and alot less heroic tbh. Thank god I'm not a Lala LoL
#43 Mar 04 2011 at 4:11 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
**
551 posts
MishaNevarian wrote:
Kirby the Eccentric wrote:
While we're on the topic of minor complaints, I dislike the slightly larger LS emblems and bazaar icons:
Screenshot
Screenshot


Ya I noticed this too, surprised we still cant turn off our OWN names only and keep everything/everyone Else's up! With the increase in these icons and the new ones which are obviously bigger then they need to be (WAAAY bigger) and increase to monster size my avatar is feeling RLY puny right about now and alot less heroic tbh. Thank god I'm not a Lala LoL


I'd like to be able to just turn off my own name so I stop clicking myself ( the nametag expands your own hitbox ) when trying to click on a mob. Right now, I have to zoom out and move the camera more overhead to avoid it.

Edited, Mar 4th 2011 5:13pm by Zorvan
____________________________



#44 Mar 04 2011 at 4:27 PM Rating: Excellent
*
132 posts
As a side note regarding how some monsters aggro at higher levels, and so this feature is useful for those:

Try taking a gander at how the monster looks. The monsters I know of that aggro at higher levels are all of a different color than normal, such as red cassiopias and red crabs. The only exceptions I can think of are some bee swarms, and from what I can tell, if it's called a bee it aggros, if a syrphid or fly it doesn't, though I'm not 100% sure on that yet. It's similar to FFXI, where the genus of a mob such as the spiders all look the same for the most part, but by looking at the name, you can tell what species it is and whether it aggros or not. (tarantulas aggro, spiders did not from what I remember.)

It's subtle, but SE really did put in enough details to figure out whether something aggros at a glance without the need for something so obvious.
____________________________

#45 Mar 04 2011 at 4:45 PM Rating: Good
*
213 posts
Rate this down. I'm not reading any posts here, I'm just gonna say it. If you like this feature, you're pathetic as a game player, and while everyone else won't tell you, they all think it. It's for morons, and if you like it, well... yeah.
____________________________


#46 Mar 04 2011 at 4:49 PM Rating: Good
**
491 posts
I know what that 'Aggressive' icon reminded me of now. A la recherche du temps perdu.


#47 Mar 04 2011 at 8:11 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
523 posts
I feel like they are holding my hand...

Let people find out what aggros.

Edited, Mar 4th 2011 9:12pm by DoctorMog
#48 Mar 04 2011 at 9:18 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
24 posts
Ba1dw1n wrote:
i kinda liked not knowing if a monster was aggressive unless someone told me or i personally walked up to it to find out the hard way, but thats just my opinion. anyways i dont have access to the game at the time being can someone link a picture of the icon please?


There's a picture here from someone who found the image off the internet. Looks to me SE got lazy and couldn't even make a genuine icon.

http://www.ffxivcore.com/topic/30196-anyone-feel-the-game-become-too-cartoony-after-patch/
#49 Mar 05 2011 at 12:29 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*
235 posts
I don't really mind it, though I think its not needed and is kinda ugly. They really could have done it in a more subtle way. Like maybe just change the color of the mobs name, or maybe only show that red thing when you target it.. or maybe show it down where it shows your target and its HP. Its just a bit big and excessive at the moment. Was running around last night in some higher level areas and it looked kinda silly, there was big red glowing starts everywhere. It actually can be a tad bit distracting and pull you out of the experience.

And also, it didn't feel as fun exploring last night since I knew exactly what to stay away from and what to not worry about.
____________________________


#50 Mar 05 2011 at 12:40 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
1,707 posts
PsionCrystalis wrote:
I don't honestly see why we need the icons at all. Seriously, how hard is it to realize something aggros or not? Hmm, lets see, its a gigantic scorpion/ drake/ raptor/ ogre/ glowing angry ball of fire/ etc... Come on, you don't even need a higher level of consciousness to realize whether something aggros or not with 97% accuracy. Even an animal could realize it just by how a monster looks alone.

And even for the few that slip through, you probably won't ever make the same mistake twice for that mob. Sure, you might not realize those (now gigantic) chigoes aggro the first time, but you certainly will remember it the next time you see one. At this point the icon is irrelevant. (again.)

The icon doesn't even tell you HOW a monster aggros, or I could see it being at least somewhat useful as a trade off to it's hideousness.

Honestly, if you REALLY need this thing to tell you if something aggros, then SE needs a filter to make it something you can display, and set it to off by default. Likewise for the quest indicator. You can have a tutorial NPC that tells you the basic functions under the configuration menu and let you know about those features if you want them, but don't start off by breaking the immersion right off the bat, let the players decide if they want to do that individually. The game is already hurting badly for immersion and ways for you to get attached to the world, and these easy-mode indicators don't help this any.


You obviously didn't play ffxi, where the cutest little creatures in the game would not **** with you for 50 levels, then one day you enter a new zone and there they are again, only with another name, and this time they shove their furry foot through your skull when you get within a 20ft radius of them.

I liked that about ffxi. I kept you on your toes.
#51 Mar 05 2011 at 1:10 AM Rating: Decent
Ahh, didn't read the Lodestone regarding this icon at first (or on here for that matter), was in Uldah near Horizon. Thought, yeah, that must be an icon for the linkshell beasts, or maybye a new claim, then BAM, WTF, DEAD!!!!

HaHa, but seriously, it's ok to have an icon for aggressive, but I think by now I've learned what to stay away from, although it has helped with all the new aggressives that seem to have been added.
____________________________


http://theforsakenlink.com

5040 X 1050 with Matrox Triple Head 2 Go
480 in SLI
I-7 950 OC 3.68 Ghz, 12 GB DDR3 1600
1000w PSU
« Previous 1 2
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 17 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (17)