Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2 3 4 5
This thread is locked

FFXIV Will Live. Then it will be the biggest MMO Ever Made.Follow

#1 Mar 07 2011 at 7:43 PM Rating: Default
Ok naysayers. I have had enough of you saying Nay. So we're under 30,000 players, and that number falls every day. Big Whoop.

We ask for content, and we get "A chance to see what it is like to be a LITTLE LADY!" Oh Gee willikers that is what I was totally talking about. I don't want to kill Dragons and save the realm, I want to be a LITTLE LADY.

Even this, is not a big deal. Why? Because this game is guaranteed to succeed. And it has nothing to do with content, better party dynamics, or improving the battle system or role specialization. The people that left over that won't be back, and it doesn't matter, because they are not needed to make this game work and they never were or will be needed. Good riddance.

There are over 50 MILLION PS3 consoles sitting in homes all over the world. 50. Million.

Final Fantasy is one of the most recognizable and best selling CONSOLE video game franchises in history, spanning almost 25 YEARS, over 30 titles and almost 100 million units sold. Emphasis on CONSOLE, not PC. One of these game Markets Dwarfs the other in terms of revenue, growth, and profits. Can you guess which?

When it comes to branding in the minds of consumers, FF has gotten the job done on a level most developers can only dream of. Gamers the world over go apesh*t for any FF release, and it will not be any different when they start with the marketing deluge for the PS3 launch.

Every PS3 owner in the world will know about FFXIV, and most will want to buy it based purely off of all their fond memories of the franchise, and the goosebumps they will get the first time they see that first EPIC FFXIV TV spot. I know my hair will stand on end, and I've already been playing the game for 6 months.

All the negativity, bad reviews, and falling numbers don't matter, because guess what? SE has a little secret (this is REALLY HARD for some people to swallow, you may want to stop reading here if you are the overly-sensetive type).

The PC "release" was just another testing phase.

That's right, we are the "Gamma" testers. Hurts, donught? PC was never intended to carry the franchise, and it's quite obvious to anyone who has played since release that this game was designed from the ground up for a console, not a PC. The UI was so hated by PC users because it was designed for a gamepad, not a mouse and keyboard.

SE could give a rat's @ss about the PC piece of the pie. "LMAO! BUT WOW has like 13 million subs! You're an idiot!" you might be saying right now. However:

WoW can be played on a very large percentage of PC's worldwide. FFXIV cannot. SE knew this upon release, yet they made no attempt to dumb down the graphical requirements. I wonder why.... What sort of other machine out there is not only the equal, but surpasses an i7/GTX 460 PC? I'll give you a hint: There is 50 Million of them out there and it's capable of 1.8 TFLOPS of Floating Point performance.

This game will be a massive success, when it is actually released to the demographic it was intended for.

In the meantime, just enjoy the fact you get to be so far ahead of the rest of the world when they join us.

Or you can go play Champions Online while you wait. That game is FUN.

But don't worry kids, FFXIV isn't going anywhere for a looooooong time.





Edited, Mar 24th 2011 3:42am by Osarion Lock Thread: Derailed troll
#2 Mar 07 2011 at 7:54 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
1,189 posts
BushwicktheBlack wrote:

Every PS3 owner in the world will know about FFXIV, and most will want to buy it based purely off of all their fond memories of the franchise, and the goosebumps they will get the first time they see that first EPIC FFXIV TV spot. I know my hair will stand on end, and I've already been playing the game for 6 months.


I hate to break it to you, but most people who have a PS3 either have a PC or know someone who does have a PC. There's a pretty good chance most of the PS3 owners in the world already know about FFXIV... and that's not a good thing.

You make it sound like PS3 owners live in some kind of vacuum where anything not related to PS3 is summarily filtered out of the PS3 owner's purview. This is not the case. Console owners as a whole are generally rather well-informed as to the state of gaming across all platforms. We can thank sites like IGN and GameSpot for this, as these sites like to "cross-pollinate" their features across all their platform-specific sites. So that hot PC game that just came out and got a 3-page review... just got some ad-banner time on the PS3 site.

You also forget that most PS3 owners who would want to play a Final Fantasy MMO probably either currently play or have played FFXI. Given the social nature of FFXI, it's not out of the realm of possibility that even if a PS3 owner used to play FFXI and stopped playing, they probably still keep in touch with someone who does. Which means they would already be well aware of FFXIV.

And last, but certainly not least... when you register a S-E game, you get signed up for their email newsletter. Which, in case you forgot, was touting the release of FFXIV back in September. Any PS3 owner who has purchased a S-E game (be it Final Fantasy XIII or Just Cause 2) who has registered their game for the perks would have received that newsletter. Heck... the PS3 owners who purchased Final Fantasy XIII got treated to an ad on the back of the instruction book for Final Fantasy XIV.

Your deluding yourself if you think most PS3 owners aren't aware of FFXIV.
#3 Mar 07 2011 at 7:55 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
46 posts
What still doesn't make since is why they would harm their PS3 release (as well as their reputation) with such a catastrophically failed PC release a full year in advance.
#4 Mar 07 2011 at 7:57 PM Rating: Default
*
219 posts
oberonqa wrote:
BushwicktheBlack wrote:

Every PS3 owner in the world will know about FFXIV, and most will want to buy it based purely off of all their fond memories of the franchise, and the goosebumps they will get the first time they see that first EPIC FFXIV TV spot. I know my hair will stand on end, and I've already been playing the game for 6 months.


I hate to break it to you, but most people who have a PS3 either have a PC or know someone who does have a PC. There's a pretty good chance most of the PS3 owners in the world already know about FFXIV... and that's not a good thing.

You make it sound like PS3 owners live in some kind of vacuum where anything not related to PS3 is summarily filtered out of the PS3 owner's purview. This is not the case. Console owners as a whole are generally rather well-informed as to the state of gaming across all platforms. We can thank sites like IGN and GameSpot for this, as these sites like to "cross-pollinate" their features across all their platform-specific sites. So that hot PC game that just came out and got a 3-page review... just got some ad-banner time on the PS3 site.

You also forget that most PS3 owners who would want to play a Final Fantasy MMO probably either currently play or have played FFXI. Given the social nature of FFXI, it's not out of the realm of possibility that even if a PS3 owner used to play FFXI and stopped playing, they probably still keep in touch with someone who does. Which means they would already be well aware of FFXIV.

And last, but certainly not least... when you register a S-E game, you get signed up for their email newsletter. Which, in case you forgot, was touting the release of FFXIV back in September. Any PS3 owner who has purchased a S-E game (be it Final Fantasy XIII or Just Cause 2) who has registered their game for the perks would have received that newsletter. Heck... the PS3 owners who purchased Final Fantasy XIII got treated to an ad on the back of the instruction book for Final Fantasy XIV.

Your deluding yourself if you think most PS3 owners aren't aware of FFXIV.


You would be surpised by that comment of yours when you walk into a "known" ebgames shop and ask about FFXIV when you pick up. The 3 clerk there said: "what? FFXIV is releasing already?" i am pretty sure you need to even own a console or two to even works there.


and failure is in the eye of beholder, you see it fail, i see it as a success. I am enjoying my time in FFXIV as much as FFXI right now.

While i bought RIFT for absolute no reason, i just gave it to my friend already because that game bored me to dead. Seriously, it was even worse then doing leves when you constantly just get a quest, go to next zone, kill, get a new quest, go to next zone, kill.

Edited, Mar 7th 2011 9:00pm by wrongfeifong
#5 Mar 07 2011 at 8:00 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
46 posts
Of course they aren't going to go out of their way to tell you about a bad release...

They want you to buy from them.
#6 Mar 07 2011 at 8:01 PM Rating: Good
26 posts
Quote:
What sort of other machine out there is not only the equal, but surpasses an i7/GTX 460 PC? I'll give you a hint: There is 50 Million of them out there and it's capable of 1.8 TFLOPS of Floating Point performance.


I'll probably agree that the PS3 will pass sales simply because, well, consoles always have, for any game.

But don't kid yourself, the power processor and 7 synergistic processing elements of the ps3 along with the 550mhz RSX Synthesizer can hardly compete with an i7/GTX 460 build.

Edited, Mar 7th 2011 9:03pm by Scalettaxiv
#7 Mar 07 2011 at 8:02 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
1,189 posts
wrongfeifong wrote:

You would be surpised by that comment of yours when you walk into a "known" ebgames shop and ask about FFXIV when you pick up. The 3 clerk there said: "what? FFXIV is releasing already?" i am pretty sure you need to even own a console or two to even works there.


That is where you would be wrong. Most game stores look for people with sales experience... as a game store derives most of it's profit from used games and perk (memberships, purchase warranties, etc) sales. Owning or even having an interest in video games is secondary to having sales experience.

That and let's be honest... GameStop doesn't hire the brightest bulbs on the planet anyway. I remember when PS3 was getting ready to come out, a GameStop employee was trying to convince me to preorder a system by extolling it's assorted features. Features, I might add, which included DVR functionality, a Blu-Ray burner, and 3G wireless internet built-in. Yea... still waiting for these features. **lol**
#8 Mar 07 2011 at 8:02 PM Rating: Default
*
219 posts
bad release when it was a pre-order from 1 year ago? and this event told place on the day i pick up, I am pretty sure you will find a lot post about similar event as i said.

A lot people are very clueless in this world. Not everyone is a bill gate here.


For the above post,

Did you ever work for gamestop? You see that i highlighted "KNOWN" ? It means i know these people. I even applied for ebgames before (long ago) but it didn't turn out too great. At least, they ask me whether I have a console and knowledge of gaming. Wasn't it everyone's dream to work in ebgames then your local thift store when you are in high school?

beside, if you are a manager of ebgames store, would you hire someone with gaming knowledge or a 50 years old unemploy man/woman have absolute no idea or even touch a controller before?

You think ebgames hire clueless people? They might strip some features off because not everyone is exceed at playing their system apart from basic function (who actually use ps3 for media:P). Even if they work in there, it doesn't mean they know how to "hack" your system, add trophies to your name tag by cheating, or jailbreak it.


Edited, Mar 7th 2011 9:09pm by wrongfeifong
#9 Mar 07 2011 at 8:04 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
Rate up for making something posetive :D It's like a breath of fresh air!
____________________________


"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
#10 Mar 07 2011 at 8:10 PM Rating: Default
*
219 posts
LillithaFenimore wrote:
Rate up for making something posetive :D It's like a breath of fresh air!


You mean rate down? ...i just got sub-default again :P
#11 Mar 07 2011 at 8:10 PM Rating: Decent
*
151 posts
I have to somewhat agree with the OP.

I've heard/read about the mixed reviews for FF13, but I still bought it. No review can keep me from a FF title, good or bad. I must experience it for myself. I ended up actually liking FF13 in a lot of ways, and I'm glad I didn't miss out on a FF because of a mixed review.

Also, I'm MUCH more of a console gamer than PC and I still plan on buying FFXIV for PS3. I like the console feel much more than the PC and desk. Also, I've FINALLY got around to hooking up my PS3 controller for FFXIV and I'm LOVING FFXIV so much more. I played FFXI since release on PS2 and now it feels much more "normal". My ONLY complaint for FFXIV now is I wish we had battle menus other that an action bar.
____________________________


#12 Mar 07 2011 at 8:11 PM Rating: Excellent
**
557 posts
50 million, wow, impressive number.

How many PS2 owners were there at FFXI release? The best-selling game console of all time?

And how many players did FFXI get? 500,000 at most? And that was when there was little to no decent MMO competition?

You're right, SE is hoping to make some money off a PS3 release just on the FF and PS brands alone. But that's a little money in SE's pocket, not a guarantee this game will ever get better.
____________________________


#13 Mar 07 2011 at 8:16 PM Rating: Decent
*
149 posts
The hope of FFXIV it's japanese players. Japanese play mostly on PS3 (guys don't play on PC, suck that WoW) and beside the bad review of FFXIV, are the biggest fans of FFXIV, that's a fact. I like FFs, but I don't stay one week on a line to get a new FF franchise game.

I ****** with SE atm, yeah. But even if I star to play another MMO, it's just to wait till FFXIV get on track. If not, I'm back to singleplayer life and FPS online, it's just like that. Compare FFXIV with others MMORPG it's impossible', in the end, because the players are not the same as other games players. It's not a matter of good or worst, it's just a playerstyle, so we wait, we get ****** with SE and we wait again...

We are fans, so we bash the forums, we call SE names, we discuss, because we care. If was other MMO, pfft. Love and hate, same coin, opposite sides.




Edited, Mar 7th 2011 9:17pm by cquintela
#14 Mar 07 2011 at 8:26 PM Rating: Good
**
602 posts
yfaithfully wrote:
50 million, wow, impressive number.

How many PS2 owners were there at FFXI release? The best-selling game console of all time?

And how many players did FFXI get? 500,000 at most? And that was when there was little to no decent MMO competition?

You're right, SE is hoping to make some money off a PS3 release just on the FF and PS brands alone. But that's a little money in SE's pocket, not a guarantee this game will ever get better.


XI on PS2 required a modem and a hard drive and an extra landline for a console that didn't really have any internet support.

Edited, Mar 7th 2011 9:26pm by MajidahSihaam
____________________________
FFXI: Dashiel. (Asura) Puppetmaster.
FFXIV: Majidah Sihaam. (Besaid)
Marauder, Weaver & Alchemist.

#15 Mar 07 2011 at 8:34 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
1,189 posts
MajidahSihaam wrote:
yfaithfully wrote:
50 million, wow, impressive number.

How many PS2 owners were there at FFXI release? The best-selling game console of all time?

And how many players did FFXI get? 500,000 at most? And that was when there was little to no decent MMO competition?

You're right, SE is hoping to make some money off a PS3 release just on the FF and PS brands alone. But that's a little money in SE's pocket, not a guarantee this game will ever get better.


XI on PS2 required a modem and a hard drive.


Hard drive came pre-packaged with the PS2 version of FFXI (is a nice big ole white box with the FFXI logo on the front of it... still got that one). The Network Adapter... that one would have been the kicker, as that was not pre-packaged with FFXI. And, depending on where you lived and how many stores you had access to, it may have been a little hard to find the Network Adapter. There was a shortage of them for a while right after FFXI came out in Las Vegas Nevada... similar to the now infamous nation-wide shortage of 8MB memory cards when the PS2 first launched.

However, I think the main reason FFXI wasn't as highly adopted as it could have been was due to the monthly fee. Remember, it was 2004 and the only other MMO on the PS2 was EverQuest Online Adventures (which also wasn't that big of a seller). Console gamers weren't used to the idea of paying a monthly fee to play a game... and WoW had not yet hit the streets (there were, of course, MMO's on PC, but there was a definite difference in the social acceptance of MMO's at that time due to the EQ stigma that MMO players were nerds or closet-players). The only console that charged any kind of monthly fee was the original XBOX, and it's saturation was mixed for quite some time due to the "why should I pay to play" mentality?

Of course, now it's 2011 and console gamers are used to paying for stuff on their console all the time. You have services like Xbox Live and Playstation Plus which give great bang for their buck (if you fit the target demographic, at any rate)... and you regularly spend money for DLC for your favorite games.

I think if FFXIV is released on PS3 (provided the game can get around the stigma that seems to follow it around like a bad penny), it could in theory have a much higher adoption rate than FFXI did on PS2.
#16 Mar 07 2011 at 8:39 PM Rating: Good
***
2,202 posts
I must admit, you made me laugh, i seriously tho you was serious for a minute.....

Until i remembered that FFXI was released on ps2,pc,xbox and it peaked at 500k......
____________________________
MUTED
#17 Mar 07 2011 at 8:50 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,189 posts
Ostia wrote:
I must admit, you made me laugh, i seriously tho you was serious for a minute.....

Until i remembered that FFXI was released on ps2,pc,xbox and it peaked at 500k......


You know, 500k is a pretty respectable number of subscriptions. It shows that FFXIV doesn't need to be a WoW-killer in order to be successful and receive continued support from S-E. If FFXIV could get 500k subscribers, I would call that a successful MMO.
#18 Mar 07 2011 at 9:03 PM Rating: Default
"But don't kid yourself, the power processor and 7 synergistic processing elements of the ps3 along with the 550mhz RSX Synthesizer can hardly compete with an i7/GTX 460 build".

Can hardly compete with it? More like blows it out of the water.

Throw all the bench numbers around you want but I have a ridiculous amount of access to that exact build, so I prefer practical evidence as opposed to what google tells me, but here's what I did find:

i7 965- 51.2 GFLOPS @3.2GHZ
PS3 Cell- 218 GFLOPS @3.2GHZ

I've experimented with everything from the i5-750 up to the 975EE, 460's, 470's, 5850's, 70's etc. as well as every console. And when you are rocking a large scale battle at 240hz and 55" there isn't a PC under $2000 that will look as smooth as a PS3.

It doesn't matter which game it is, it ALWAYS plays better on PS3, FFXIV will be no different.

Having to code from the ground up for only one set of specs has it's advantages.



#19 Mar 07 2011 at 9:21 PM Rating: Default
yfaithfully wrote:
50 million, wow, impressive number.

How many PS2 owners were there at FFXI release? The best-selling game console of all time?

And how many players did FFXI get? 500,000 at most? And that was when there was little to no decent MMO competition?

You're right, SE is hoping to make some money off a PS3 release just on the FF and PS brands alone. But that's a little money in SE's pocket, not a guarantee this game will ever get better.


Well, if you had actually been there, you would be able to answer your own question. I have some questions for you:

How many PS2 network adapters were available at that time? How many people had the know how and will to:

1. Take apart their ps2?
2. Install a Hard Drive in their ps2?
3. Install a network Adapter over the Hard Drive?
4. Install the Game to a Ps2 hard drive?
5. Make your ISP work with very fickle ps2 Firm/Software?

Answer: Not very many. Like, maybe 5 to 10% of the entire ps2 ownership. Factor in the release of ps2 Slim, which had a built in Network Adapter (YAY EASY ONLINE CONSOLE GAMING!) but no way to install a Hard Drive (BOOO FINAL FANTASY XI!)

Now I have another question for you.

How many current ps3 owners have the know-how and will to:

1. Have their ps3 already online by default?
1b. Place a disc in the Ps3?
2. Press "Install"?
3. Press "Update"?
4. Press "Play"?

Answer: Pretty much all of them.

Edited, Mar 7th 2011 10:29pm by BushwicktheBlack

Edited, Mar 7th 2011 10:29pm by BushwicktheBlack
#20 Mar 07 2011 at 9:23 PM Rating: Default
LillithaFenimore wrote:
Rate up for making something posetive :D It's like a breath of fresh air!


I think she was talking to me.

Thanks sweetums!
#21 Mar 07 2011 at 9:29 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,636 posts
assuming that just because the PS3s are out there, people will buy the game proportionally is silly. This is not an "if you build it they will come" industry. FFXIV is not FFXI, and people need to stop pretending that there is this huge demand just waiting to eat the game up despite all the game's flaws. Until there is anything actually showing there is a huge demand for the game on PS3, i'm going to assume they'll get the same disappointing numbers on that console too.
____________________________


#22BushwicktheBlack, Posted: Mar 07 2011 at 9:31 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) That's funny, I thought what I had originally posted explained alot more than "theres this many ps3s so there will be this many FF sales"
#23 Mar 07 2011 at 9:33 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
551 posts
BushwicktheBlack wrote:


WoW can be played on a very large percentage of PC's worldwide. FFXIV cannot. SE knew this upon release, yet they made no attempt to dumb down the graphical requirements. I wonder why.... What sort of other machine out there is not only the equal, but surpasses an i7/GTX 460 PC? I'll give you a hint: There is 50 Million of them out there and it's capable of 1.8 TFLOPS of Floating Point performance.




I hate to break it to you, but you're a raving lunatic if you think the PS3 can beat an I7 with a GTX 460.

The PS3 has 512mb of DDR2 shared ram and a 7800GS GPU.

The PS3 is a years old piece of outdated hardware now, bud. The PS3 version is the one being "dumbed down graphically. You see those "recommended" PC requirements for the resolution of 1280 x 1024? That's what PS3 users will be seeing. It's called 720p. You know, what people playing this game on low settings on the PC are seeing.

lol

BushwicktheBlack wrote:
"But don't kid yourself, the power processor and 7 synergistic processing elements of the ps3 along with the 550mhz RSX Synthesizer can hardly compete with an i7/GTX 460 build".

Can hardly compete with it? More like blows it out of the water.

Throw all the bench numbers around you want but I have a ridiculous amount of access to that exact build, so I prefer practical evidence as opposed to what google tells me, but here's what I did find:

i7 965- 51.2 GFLOPS @3.2GHZ
PS3 Cell- 218 GFLOPS @3.2GHZ

I've experimented with everything from the i5-750 up to the 975EE, 460's, 470's, 5850's, 70's etc. as well as every console. And when you are rocking a large scale battle at 240hz and 55" there isn't a PC under $2000 that will look as smooth as a PS3.

It doesn't matter which game it is, it ALWAYS plays better on PS3, FFXIV will be no different.

Having to code from the ground up for only one set of specs has it's advantages.





You can stop talking out your **** here, too. Plenty of games have slowdown and hitches on the PS3 when the screen gets overly cluttered/heavy action. Bayonetta and The Last Remnant are two notable examples. I own a PS3 and an Xbox 360, I can tell you from plain experience every game I've played on my PC and PS3 has looked better on the PC. Borderlands, Dragon age Origins, you name it.

Edited, Mar 7th 2011 10:49pm by Zorvan
____________________________



#24 Mar 07 2011 at 9:46 PM Rating: Decent
*
236 posts
oberonqa wrote:
wrongfeifong wrote:

You would be surpised by that comment of yours when you walk into a "known" ebgames shop and ask about FFXIV when you pick up. The 3 clerk there said: "what? FFXIV is releasing already?" i am pretty sure you need to even own a console or two to even works there.


That is where you would be wrong. Most game stores look for people with sales experience... as a game store derives most of it's profit from used games and perk (memberships, purchase warranties, etc) sales. Owning or even having an interest in video games is secondary to having sales experience.

That and let's be honest... GameStop doesn't hire the brightest bulbs on the planet anyway. I remember when PS3 was getting ready to come out, a GameStop employee was trying to convince me to preorder a system by extolling it's assorted features. Features, I might add, which included DVR functionality, a Blu-Ray burner, and 3G wireless internet built-in. Yea... still waiting for these features. **lol**


Do you like making stuff up? Gamestop doesn't "look" for people with retail experience - it's a retail position, no experience is needed to get hired because if you needed experience to get into retail, no one would ever get their first job. I worked at Gamestop for quite a while; my interview was nearly 100% based on my gaming knowledge and just to see if I was personable enough to say "Is there anything I can help you with?" and the dozens of people who the store interviewed after I was hired were more of the same. In fact, my only "retail" experience when I interviewed at Gamestop had been a supermarket, which is not sales at all. Your post is a complete fabrication because you want to feel like a know it all. Sounds a lot like you made up the second part as well, because, while I have no doubt that depending on the area, you can find some real buffoons working at Gamestop, everyone I worked with was pretty intelligent - we were 5 minutes off of a college campus and most people were college educated gamers and at least of fair intelligence. It sounds like pure fantasy that you claim a gamestop employee ever tried to get you to preorder a system with a DVR, Blu-Ray burner, etc. and you sound like a liar.
____________________________

#25 Mar 07 2011 at 9:50 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,189 posts
Zorvan wrote:
BushwicktheBlack wrote:


WoW can be played on a very large percentage of PC's worldwide. FFXIV cannot. SE knew this upon release, yet they made no attempt to dumb down the graphical requirements. I wonder why.... What sort of other machine out there is not only the equal, but surpasses an i7/GTX 460 PC? I'll give you a hint: There is 50 Million of them out there and it's capable of 1.8 TFLOPS of Floating Point performance.




I hate to break it to you, but you're a raving lunatic if you think the PS3 can beat an I7 with a GTX 460.

The PS3 has 512mb of DDR2 shared ram and a 7800GS GPU.

The PS3 is a years old piece of outdated hardware now, bud. The PS3 version is the one being "dumbed down graphically. You see those "recommended" PC requirements for the resolution of 1280 x 1024? That's what PS3 users will be seeing. It's called 720p. You know, what people playing this game on low settings on the PC are seeing.

lol


To be fair... the PS3 has one advantage over the PC, despite having inferior hardware. The PS3 may only have 512MB of RAM... but the PS3 can use almost ALL of that memory due to having a small OS memory footprint. Whereas on a PC, you have bloated (by comparison) OS software that eats up a good chunk of the system's available memory.

The same thing can be said in regards to the processing power of the two. While the PS3 has an inferior processor compared to the I7, it's still able to utilize the processing threads and pipes in a much more controlled manner than a PC, which must often juggle many threads and pipes at once.

Ever wonder why the PS3 is capable of such great graphics despite it's limited hardware? It's due to the system's extreme resource management. Most PC software can't even hold a candle to the PS3 because PC resource management is... to put it bluntly.... sloppy in comparison. Making a game on a console means squeezing as much as you can out of the hardware. There is little room for error and console developers have no choice but to very conscientious when it comes to code execution. Whereas your typical PC game receives an optimization pass during the coding process... this optimization pass pales in comparison to a console's optimization pass... to the tune of about 35% efficiency as opposed to a console's 85% efficiency by the end of a console's life.
#26 Mar 07 2011 at 9:53 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
551 posts
MCraine wrote:
oberonqa wrote:
wrongfeifong wrote:

You would be surpised by that comment of yours when you walk into a "known" ebgames shop and ask about FFXIV when you pick up. The 3 clerk there said: "what? FFXIV is releasing already?" i am pretty sure you need to even own a console or two to even works there.


That is where you would be wrong. Most game stores look for people with sales experience... as a game store derives most of it's profit from used games and perk (memberships, purchase warranties, etc) sales. Owning or even having an interest in video games is secondary to having sales experience.

That and let's be honest... GameStop doesn't hire the brightest bulbs on the planet anyway. I remember when PS3 was getting ready to come out, a GameStop employee was trying to convince me to preorder a system by extolling it's assorted features. Features, I might add, which included DVR functionality, a Blu-Ray burner, and 3G wireless internet built-in. Yea... still waiting for these features. **lol**


Do you like making stuff up? Gamestop doesn't "look" for people with retail experience - it's a retail position, no experience is needed to get hired because if you needed experience to get into retail, no one would ever get their first job. I worked at Gamestop for quite a while; my interview was nearly 100% based on my gaming knowledge and just to see if I was personable enough to say "Is there anything I can help you with?" and the dozens of people who the store interviewed after I was hired were more of the same. In fact, my only "retail" experience when I interviewed at Gamestop had been a supermarket, which is not sales at all. Your post is a complete fabrication because you want to feel like a know it all. Sounds a lot like you made up the second part as well, because, while I have no doubt that depending on the area, you can find some real buffoons working at Gamestop, everyone I worked with was pretty intelligent - we were 5 minutes off of a college campus and most people were college educated gamers and at least of fair intelligence. It sounds like pure fantasy that you claim a gamestop employee ever tried to get you to preorder a system with a DVR, Blu-Ray burner, etc. and you sound like a liar.


I doubt he's lying. I've met my share of Gamestop idiots. One who was unaware there were skins available for the PS3 and Xbox 360 even though they were hanging right behind his dumb ***. Another who told me Resonance of Fate had been cancelled and I was wrong about it being released, only to have his partner overhear the conversation and let him know that there were two copies right there on the shelf.
____________________________



#27 Mar 07 2011 at 9:55 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
46 posts
A previously failed MMO (i.e. generating negative revenue) is about to inherit a more competitive western PS3 market.

The only hope this game even has is selling well on the J-side of the market. The PC-release has done so poorly that a PS3 release probably won't have much of a western audience to sell to. Consider this: They have to generate tens/hundreds of thousands of new sells for a title that has not only been severely criticized upon release, but also nearly half a year later. This is going to make for a marketing NIGHTMARE (unless of course, they have a whole lot of things they haven't told or shown us... but I remain in a state of doubt possibly bordering on outright contempt).

And that is the beginning of their problems. Not only are they going to have to compete against their previous (failure?), they will have to generally compete against such upcoming blockbuster titles as Resistance 3, Infamous 2, Uncharted 3 (notice these are also sequels), Mass Effect 3, Call of Duty: MW3, Dragon Age 2, Elder Scrolls V (if they plan on competing against that one, GOOD LUCK.. but they also said they would be competing against WoW back during the actual release, so...), etc etc....

Now, of course this is all speculation... but investment is also speculation. How well a product will do is speculation. Mind, I don't want this game to fail either - I don't want to have to buy another MMO, let alone void all the time I've already spent in this game... also, the graphics are very very pretty and shiny (which I speculate will bring in half of their western sales... and yes, I am covertly lobbying for better spell effects). But I'm not going to lie, SE has to play a pretty sh*tty hand of cards this round.
#28 Mar 07 2011 at 9:56 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,189 posts
MCraine wrote:
oberonqa wrote:
wrongfeifong wrote:

You would be surpised by that comment of yours when you walk into a "known" ebgames shop and ask about FFXIV when you pick up. The 3 clerk there said: "what? FFXIV is releasing already?" i am pretty sure you need to even own a console or two to even works there.


That is where you would be wrong. Most game stores look for people with sales experience... as a game store derives most of it's profit from used games and perk (memberships, purchase warranties, etc) sales. Owning or even having an interest in video games is secondary to having sales experience.

That and let's be honest... GameStop doesn't hire the brightest bulbs on the planet anyway. I remember when PS3 was getting ready to come out, a GameStop employee was trying to convince me to preorder a system by extolling it's assorted features. Features, I might add, which included DVR functionality, a Blu-Ray burner, and 3G wireless internet built-in. Yea... still waiting for these features. **lol**


Do you like making stuff up? Gamestop doesn't "look" for people with retail experience - it's a retail position, no experience is needed to get hired because if you needed experience to get into retail, no one would ever get their first job. I worked at Gamestop for quite a while; my interview was nearly 100% based on my gaming knowledge and just to see if I was personable enough to say "Is there anything I can help you with?" and the dozens of people who the store interviewed after I was hired were more of the same. In fact, my only "retail" experience when I interviewed at Gamestop had been a supermarket, which is not sales at all. Your post is a complete fabrication because you want to feel like a know it all. Sounds a lot like you made up the second part as well, because, while I have no doubt that depending on the area, you can find some real buffoons working at Gamestop, everyone I worked with was pretty intelligent - we were 5 minutes off of a college campus and most people were college educated gamers and at least of fair intelligence. It sounds like pure fantasy that you claim a gamestop employee ever tried to get you to preorder a system with a DVR, Blu-Ray burner, etc. and you sound like a liar.


And now the personal attacks start. So much for my knocking on wood. **lol**.

Believe whatever you want to believe. I'm mature enough to be called a liar and not fall for the trap. But I'll tell you this much. The GameCrazy I worked at focused on hiring people with sales experience. And my store was one of the few remaining GameCrazy's left across the country to make it through to liquidation when other GameCrazy's were being shutdown en-masse due to failing performance. Yea in the end we got shut down too... but our store was #1 in the country for a year running... and that was because we focused on finding people that had proven sales experience and proven customer service experience. We didn't hire fresh-faced high-school kids that were looking to earn a little cash to buy their first car... nor did we hire college kids that are simply looking to punch a clock so they have money to live on.

So go ahead and call me a liar. I won't return the favor by insulting your intelligence or integrity. By the way... I wish I was lying about that PS3 Preorder sales pitch. Some things are just too ludicrous to make up and that rep's pitch was about as ludicrous as it gets.

Don't even get me started on GameStop's "you can't try before you buy" policy... and if you buy a game and it ends up being something you don't like, you can either trade it in for a fraction of what you paid.... or you can try selling it on eBay. I got snagged more than once by that when I stopped at GameStop's while travelling. One reason why I felt (and still do even if the company is gone) that GameCrazy was a better retail brand. GameCrazy policy specifically allowed try before you buy, and we encouraged our customers to make use of it. Whereas GameStop just likes to take your money and if you don't like what you got, that gives GameStop another crack at increasing their profit-margin by buying a $60 game for $25 store credit.

Edited, Mar 7th 2011 8:22pm by oberonqa
#29 Mar 07 2011 at 9:56 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
551 posts
oberonqa wrote:
Zorvan wrote:
BushwicktheBlack wrote:


WoW can be played on a very large percentage of PC's worldwide. FFXIV cannot. SE knew this upon release, yet they made no attempt to dumb down the graphical requirements. I wonder why.... What sort of other machine out there is not only the equal, but surpasses an i7/GTX 460 PC? I'll give you a hint: There is 50 Million of them out there and it's capable of 1.8 TFLOPS of Floating Point performance.




I hate to break it to you, but you're a raving lunatic if you think the PS3 can beat an I7 with a GTX 460.

The PS3 has 512mb of DDR2 shared ram and a 7800GS GPU.

The PS3 is a years old piece of outdated hardware now, bud. The PS3 version is the one being "dumbed down graphically. You see those "recommended" PC requirements for the resolution of 1280 x 1024? That's what PS3 users will be seeing. It's called 720p. You know, what people playing this game on low settings on the PC are seeing.

lol


To be fair... the PS3 has one advantage over the PC, despite having inferior hardware. The PS3 may only have 512MB of RAM... but the PS3 can use almost ALL of that memory due to having a small OS memory footprint. Whereas on a PC, you have bloated (by comparison) OS software that eats up a good chunk of the system's available memory.

The same thing can be said in regards to the processing power of the two. While the PS3 has an inferior processor compared to the I7, it's still able to utilize the processing threads and pipes in a much more controlled manner than a PC, which must often juggle many threads and pipes at once.

Ever wonder why the PS3 is capable of such great graphics despite it's limited hardware? It's due to the system's extreme resource management. Most PC software can't even hold a candle to the PS3 because PC resource management is... to put it bluntly.... sloppy in comparison. Making a game on a console means squeezing as much as you can out of the hardware. There is little room for error and console developers have no choice but to very conscientious when it comes to code execution. Whereas your typical PC game receives an optimization pass during the coding process... this optimization pass pales in comparison to a console's optimization pass... to the tune of about 35% efficiency as opposed to a console's 85% efficiency by the end of a console's life.


I understand all that. Still doesn't change every game released in the last couple years has much higher graphics than the same game on PS3. The PS3 was impressive up to maybe two years ago, not anymore.
____________________________



#30 Mar 07 2011 at 10:01 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
283 posts
BushwicktheBlack wrote:


There are over 50 MILLION PS3 consoles sitting in homes all over the world. 50. Million.



WoW.. Really WoW. I have seen some fanboy BS in my day but this takes the cake. 50 Million? Really 50 Million? Do they sell the crack you are smoking in Ohio? I could use some of that. The Xbox 360 is still out selling the PS3 and it has only sold around 19-20 million. Last time I looked the 360 was a good 2-3 Million over the PS3 so they have at most 16 million and I really think the last I saw it was more like 12 million. And a good 75-80% of PS3 owners will not play FFXIV. Same was true for PS2 and FFXI.

Oh and my 3 year old PC kicks the crap out of the PS3. What people are going to get on the PS3 is at best 720p with the setings turned down. It will not look anything like what the PC can pull off. Fact is SE will need a lot more than the PS3 to save this game.
#31 Mar 07 2011 at 10:02 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
1,189 posts
Zorvan wrote:
oberonqa wrote:
Zorvan wrote:
BushwicktheBlack wrote:


WoW can be played on a very large percentage of PC's worldwide. FFXIV cannot. SE knew this upon release, yet they made no attempt to dumb down the graphical requirements. I wonder why.... What sort of other machine out there is not only the equal, but surpasses an i7/GTX 460 PC? I'll give you a hint: There is 50 Million of them out there and it's capable of 1.8 TFLOPS of Floating Point performance.




I hate to break it to you, but you're a raving lunatic if you think the PS3 can beat an I7 with a GTX 460.

The PS3 has 512mb of DDR2 shared ram and a 7800GS GPU.

The PS3 is a years old piece of outdated hardware now, bud. The PS3 version is the one being "dumbed down graphically. You see those "recommended" PC requirements for the resolution of 1280 x 1024? That's what PS3 users will be seeing. It's called 720p. You know, what people playing this game on low settings on the PC are seeing.

lol


To be fair... the PS3 has one advantage over the PC, despite having inferior hardware. The PS3 may only have 512MB of RAM... but the PS3 can use almost ALL of that memory due to having a small OS memory footprint. Whereas on a PC, you have bloated (by comparison) OS software that eats up a good chunk of the system's available memory.

The same thing can be said in regards to the processing power of the two. While the PS3 has an inferior processor compared to the I7, it's still able to utilize the processing threads and pipes in a much more controlled manner than a PC, which must often juggle many threads and pipes at once.

Ever wonder why the PS3 is capable of such great graphics despite it's limited hardware? It's due to the system's extreme resource management. Most PC software can't even hold a candle to the PS3 because PC resource management is... to put it bluntly.... sloppy in comparison. Making a game on a console means squeezing as much as you can out of the hardware. There is little room for error and console developers have no choice but to very conscientious when it comes to code execution. Whereas your typical PC game receives an optimization pass during the coding process... this optimization pass pales in comparison to a console's optimization pass... to the tune of about 35% efficiency as opposed to a console's 85% efficiency by the end of a console's life.


I understand all that. Still doesn't change every game released in the last couple years has much higher graphics than the same game on PS3. The PS3 was impressive up to maybe two years ago, not anymore.


Oh very true... PC graphics is blowing PS3 graphics out of the water at this point. The point I was making in that post was to illustrate what an achievement it is to have PS3 games look as good as they do despite running on hardware that is, at most, half as powerful as your standard PC.
#32 Mar 07 2011 at 10:08 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
**
551 posts
oberonqa wrote:
Zorvan wrote:
oberonqa wrote:
Zorvan wrote:
BushwicktheBlack wrote:


WoW can be played on a very large percentage of PC's worldwide. FFXIV cannot. SE knew this upon release, yet they made no attempt to dumb down the graphical requirements. I wonder why.... What sort of other machine out there is not only the equal, but surpasses an i7/GTX 460 PC? I'll give you a hint: There is 50 Million of them out there and it's capable of 1.8 TFLOPS of Floating Point performance.




I hate to break it to you, but you're a raving lunatic if you think the PS3 can beat an I7 with a GTX 460.

The PS3 has 512mb of DDR2 shared ram and a 7800GS GPU.

The PS3 is a years old piece of outdated hardware now, bud. The PS3 version is the one being "dumbed down graphically. You see those "recommended" PC requirements for the resolution of 1280 x 1024? That's what PS3 users will be seeing. It's called 720p. You know, what people playing this game on low settings on the PC are seeing.

lol


To be fair... the PS3 has one advantage over the PC, despite having inferior hardware. The PS3 may only have 512MB of RAM... but the PS3 can use almost ALL of that memory due to having a small OS memory footprint. Whereas on a PC, you have bloated (by comparison) OS software that eats up a good chunk of the system's available memory.

The same thing can be said in regards to the processing power of the two. While the PS3 has an inferior processor compared to the I7, it's still able to utilize the processing threads and pipes in a much more controlled manner than a PC, which must often juggle many threads and pipes at once.

Ever wonder why the PS3 is capable of such great graphics despite it's limited hardware? It's due to the system's extreme resource management. Most PC software can't even hold a candle to the PS3 because PC resource management is... to put it bluntly.... sloppy in comparison. Making a game on a console means squeezing as much as you can out of the hardware. There is little room for error and console developers have no choice but to very conscientious when it comes to code execution. Whereas your typical PC game receives an optimization pass during the coding process... this optimization pass pales in comparison to a console's optimization pass... to the tune of about 35% efficiency as opposed to a console's 85% efficiency by the end of a console's life.


I understand all that. Still doesn't change every game released in the last couple years has much higher graphics than the same game on PS3. The PS3 was impressive up to maybe two years ago, not anymore.


Oh very true... PC graphics is blowing PS3 graphics out of the water at this point. The point I was making in that post was to illustrate what an achievement it is to have PS3 games look as good as they do despite running on hardware that is, at most, half as powerful as your standard PC.


I agree with you there. ****, even the 360 has managed to hang on so far and is less powerful than the PS3. I think now that we've got DX11 games starting to come out, the consoles are going to be showing their age really quickly, though.
____________________________



#33 Mar 07 2011 at 10:15 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,189 posts
Zorvan wrote:
oberonqa wrote:
Zorvan wrote:
oberonqa wrote:
Zorvan wrote:
BushwicktheBlack wrote:


WoW can be played on a very large percentage of PC's worldwide. FFXIV cannot. SE knew this upon release, yet they made no attempt to dumb down the graphical requirements. I wonder why.... What sort of other machine out there is not only the equal, but surpasses an i7/GTX 460 PC? I'll give you a hint: There is 50 Million of them out there and it's capable of 1.8 TFLOPS of Floating Point performance.




I hate to break it to you, but you're a raving lunatic if you think the PS3 can beat an I7 with a GTX 460.

The PS3 has 512mb of DDR2 shared ram and a 7800GS GPU.

The PS3 is a years old piece of outdated hardware now, bud. The PS3 version is the one being "dumbed down graphically. You see those "recommended" PC requirements for the resolution of 1280 x 1024? That's what PS3 users will be seeing. It's called 720p. You know, what people playing this game on low settings on the PC are seeing.

lol


To be fair... the PS3 has one advantage over the PC, despite having inferior hardware. The PS3 may only have 512MB of RAM... but the PS3 can use almost ALL of that memory due to having a small OS memory footprint. Whereas on a PC, you have bloated (by comparison) OS software that eats up a good chunk of the system's available memory.

The same thing can be said in regards to the processing power of the two. While the PS3 has an inferior processor compared to the I7, it's still able to utilize the processing threads and pipes in a much more controlled manner than a PC, which must often juggle many threads and pipes at once.

Ever wonder why the PS3 is capable of such great graphics despite it's limited hardware? It's due to the system's extreme resource management. Most PC software can't even hold a candle to the PS3 because PC resource management is... to put it bluntly.... sloppy in comparison. Making a game on a console means squeezing as much as you can out of the hardware. There is little room for error and console developers have no choice but to very conscientious when it comes to code execution. Whereas your typical PC game receives an optimization pass during the coding process... this optimization pass pales in comparison to a console's optimization pass... to the tune of about 35% efficiency as opposed to a console's 85% efficiency by the end of a console's life.


I understand all that. Still doesn't change every game released in the last couple years has much higher graphics than the same game on PS3. The PS3 was impressive up to maybe two years ago, not anymore.


Oh very true... PC graphics is blowing PS3 graphics out of the water at this point. The point I was making in that post was to illustrate what an achievement it is to have PS3 games look as good as they do despite running on hardware that is, at most, half as powerful as your standard PC.


I agree with you there. ****, even the 360 has managed to hang on so far and is less powerful than the PS3. I think now that we've got DX11 games starting to come out, the consoles are going to be showing their age really quickly, though.


I agree. Now that DX11 hardware has reached a decent saturation and games are coming out that support it, I think the generational gap between console and PC is going to widen again. At least, until the Big Three (Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft) start showing off their next-gen consoles... which I would imagine might very well be next year at E3 with the first units on store shelves sometime around Summer 2013.

I think most people would agree that the current generation of consoles are approaching their mid-life (or, in the case of the Xbox 360, already at mid-life), and that has historically been when new console hardware has been revealed (case in point, PS2 was unveiled in 1999, which was 5 years into the PS1's life-cycle.... Xbox 360 was unveiled in 2005, 4 years into the XBOX's life-cycle).
#34 Mar 07 2011 at 10:15 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
283 posts
Zorvan wrote:
oberonqa wrote:
Zorvan wrote:
oberonqa wrote:
Zorvan wrote:
BushwicktheBlack wrote:


WoW can be played on a very large percentage of PC's worldwide. FFXIV cannot. SE knew this upon release, yet they made no attempt to dumb down the graphical requirements. I wonder why.... What sort of other machine out there is not only the equal, but surpasses an i7/GTX 460 PC? I'll give you a hint: There is 50 Million of them out there and it's capable of 1.8 TFLOPS of Floating Point performance.




I hate to break it to you, but you're a raving lunatic if you think the PS3 can beat an I7 with a GTX 460.

The PS3 has 512mb of DDR2 shared ram and a 7800GS GPU.

The PS3 is a years old piece of outdated hardware now, bud. The PS3 version is the one being "dumbed down graphically. You see those "recommended" PC requirements for the resolution of 1280 x 1024? That's what PS3 users will be seeing. It's called 720p. You know, what people playing this game on low settings on the PC are seeing.

lol


To be fair... the PS3 has one advantage over the PC, despite having inferior hardware. The PS3 may only have 512MB of RAM... but the PS3 can use almost ALL of that memory due to having a small OS memory footprint. Whereas on a PC, you have bloated (by comparison) OS software that eats up a good chunk of the system's available memory.

The same thing can be said in regards to the processing power of the two. While the PS3 has an inferior processor compared to the I7, it's still able to utilize the processing threads and pipes in a much more controlled manner than a PC, which must often juggle many threads and pipes at once.

Ever wonder why the PS3 is capable of such great graphics despite it's limited hardware? It's due to the system's extreme resource management. Most PC software can't even hold a candle to the PS3 because PC resource management is... to put it bluntly.... sloppy in comparison. Making a game on a console means squeezing as much as you can out of the hardware. There is little room for error and console developers have no choice but to very conscientious when it comes to code execution. Whereas your typical PC game receives an optimization pass during the coding process... this optimization pass pales in comparison to a console's optimization pass... to the tune of about 35% efficiency as opposed to a console's 85% efficiency by the end of a console's life.


I understand all that. Still doesn't change every game released in the last couple years has much higher graphics than the same game on PS3. The PS3 was impressive up to maybe two years ago, not anymore.


Oh very true... PC graphics is blowing PS3 graphics out of the water at this point. The point I was making in that post was to illustrate what an achievement it is to have PS3 games look as good as they do despite running on hardware that is, at most, half as powerful as your standard PC.


I agree with you there. ****, even the 360 has managed to hang on so far and is less powerful than the PS3. I think now that we've got DX11 games starting to come out, the consoles are going to be showing their age really quickly, though.


You really want to see the age of the PS3 and 360 take a look at Bulletstorm. I was shocked at just how much better the game looked on PC wen looking at it on 360 and PS3.
#35 Mar 07 2011 at 10:24 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
**
551 posts
Sethern79 wrote:


You really want to see the age of the PS3 and 360 take a look at Bulletstorm. I was shocked at just how much better the game looked on PC wen looking at it on 360 and PS3.


A big reason is PS3 and 360 are limited to DX9. The lighting and shadows as well as higher texture mapping for Bulletstorm ( and most recent games )just can't be replicated by the PS3/360, .

Edited, Mar 7th 2011 11:25pm by Zorvan
____________________________



#36 Mar 07 2011 at 10:31 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
351 posts
BushwicktheBlack wrote:
There are over 50 MILLION PS3 consoles sitting in homes all over the world. 50. Million.


There's only one problem with your theory:

Google.
#37 Mar 07 2011 at 10:32 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
283 posts
Zorvan wrote:
Sethern79 wrote:


You really want to see the age of the PS3 and 360 take a look at Bulletstorm. I was shocked at just how much better the game looked on PC wen looking at it on 360 and PS3.


A big reason is PS3 and 360 are limited to DX9. The lighting and shadows as well as higher texture mapping for Bulletstorm ( and most recent games )just can't be replicated by the PS3/360, .

Edited, Mar 7th 2011 11:25pm by Zorvan


This is true. This is also why I got Masseffect 1-2 for the PC now. I started on the 360 But seeing as ME3 will be using... or I should say I hope it will use DX11 on the PC. I also read that the new Elder scrolls will make use of DX11. I hope so. I can't wait for that first game to really tax my new Desktop so that I have a reason to go shoping again.
#38 Mar 07 2011 at 10:39 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
46 posts
Sethern79 wrote:
Zorvan wrote:
Sethern79 wrote:


You really want to see the age of the PS3 and 360 take a look at Bulletstorm. I was shocked at just how much better the game looked on PC wen looking at it on 360 and PS3.


A big reason is PS3 and 360 are limited to DX9. The lighting and shadows as well as higher texture mapping for Bulletstorm ( and most recent games )just can't be replicated by the PS3/360, .

Edited, Mar 7th 2011 11:25pm by Zorvan


This is true. This is also why I got Masseffect 1-2 for the PC now. I started on the 360 But seeing as ME3 will be using... or I should say I hope it will use DX11 on the PC. I also read that the new Elder scrolls will make use of DX11. I hope so. I can't wait for that first game to really tax my new Desktop so that I have a reason to go shoping again.


TES5 will be utilizing DirectX 11?? Yay!!

Now I can stop downloading high-res texture packs for Morrowind!
#39 Mar 07 2011 at 10:40 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,189 posts
Sethern79 wrote:
Zorvan wrote:
Sethern79 wrote:


You really want to see the age of the PS3 and 360 take a look at Bulletstorm. I was shocked at just how much better the game looked on PC wen looking at it on 360 and PS3.


A big reason is PS3 and 360 are limited to DX9. The lighting and shadows as well as higher texture mapping for Bulletstorm ( and most recent games )just can't be replicated by the PS3/360, .

Edited, Mar 7th 2011 11:25pm by Zorvan


This is true. This is also why I got Masseffect 1-2 for the PC now. I started on the 360 But seeing as ME3 will be using... or I should say I hope it will use DX11 on the PC. I also read that the new Elder scrolls will make use of DX11. I hope so. I can't wait for that first game to really tax my new Desktop so that I have a reason to go shoping again.


I don't see any reason why either of those games wouldn't use DX11, to be honest. Both Bethesda and Bioware have established track records for using the most up-to-date technology they have at their disposal when developing their game engines. The engine that is powering Skyrim is custom-built (bye bye Gamebryo!!!!!) engine.... and Bioware was using a DX10-based engine for Mass Effect 2, which isn't being re-used for Mass Effect 3, so I think it's a pretty safe bet that both be DX11-based.

Not to mention those Skyrim screenshots and videos are looking way too impressive to be powered by DX10.

EDIT: Well it's been fun all... but FFXI servers are back up, so time to hop on and see about working on my Magian Trial for Great Axe. Have a good one and I'll check in later. :)

Edited, Mar 7th 2011 8:43pm by oberonqa
#40 Mar 07 2011 at 10:50 PM Rating: Excellent
****
7,106 posts
Quote:
WoW.. Really WoW. I have seen some fanboy BS in my day but this takes the cake. 50 Million? Really 50 Million? Do they sell the crack you are smoking in Ohio? I could use some of that. The Xbox 360 is still out selling the PS3 and it has only sold around 19-20 million. Last time I looked the 360 was a good 2-3 Million over the PS3 so they have at most 16 million and I really think the last I saw it was more like 12 million.

As of December 31, there were just shy of 50 million PS3's wordwide. That is, in fact, several million behind the XBox 360. If you're going to parrot numbers that you remember hearing from somewhere, try to pay more attention to what the numbers mean. 12 million is how many units have sold in the US.

That said, the "50 million" number isn't especially relevant. How many PC's are out there?

And, on the whole Gamestop thing. This made me lol:
Quote:
it's a retail position, no experience is needed to get hired because if you needed experience to get into retail, no one would ever get their first job.

You, sir, are going to have an awkward time getting a real job someday. A competent manager will always take someone with experience over someone without, all else being equal. They definitely do not say "Well, no one will ever get a job if we don't let them work with no experience, so I'm gonna ignore the experienced guy and hire the inexperienced newb." If your Gamestop was hiring people with no retail experience, it's because they weren't getting any decent applicants with retail experience. Which, actually, makes sense, since I doubt many people with meaningful retail experience want to work at Gamestop.
#41 Mar 07 2011 at 10:56 PM Rating: Good
***
1,636 posts
BushwicktheBlack wrote:
KujaKoF wrote:
assuming that just because the PS3s are out there, people will buy the game proportionally is silly. This is not an "if you build it they will come" industry. FFXIV is not FFXI, and people need to stop pretending that there is this huge demand just waiting to eat the game up despite all the game's flaws. Until there is anything actually showing there is a huge demand for the game on PS3, i'm going to assume they'll get the same disappointing numbers on that console too.



That's funny, I thought what I had originally posted explained alot more than "theres this many ps3s so there will be this many FF sales"

Oh wait, it did. Maybe you should go actually read it?


i did read your post, and its entirely what you think will happen, with no evidence to support it. You put so much stock in the pure love for the Final Fantasy name and its ability to sell copies. like I said, until I see something that suggests that there are people demanding it, I'm not going to assume there are a huge amount, even if "people love FF", or "PS3>PC".
____________________________


#42 Mar 07 2011 at 11:00 PM Rating: Excellent
*
236 posts
Caesura wrote:


And, on the whole Gamestop thing. This made me lol:
Quote:
it's a retail position, no experience is needed to get hired because if you needed experience to get into retail, no one would ever get their first job.

You, sir, are going to have an awkward time getting a real job someday. A competent manager will always take someone with experience over someone without, all else being equal. They definitely do not say "Well, no one will ever get a job if we don't let them work with no experience, so I'm gonna ignore the experienced guy and hire the inexperienced newb." If your Gamestop was hiring people with no retail experience, it's because they weren't getting any decent applicants with retail experience. Which, actually, makes sense, since I doubt many people with meaningful retail experience want to work at Gamestop.


No, actually, I'll have no trouble whatsoever finding a job as I've already earned my bachelors, am working on my masters and have had two full-time internships with companies within my field as well as actual employment experience in it and have an offer from one of the people I interned with lined up already if I choose to accept it when I finish my MBA. ''

My point about the gamestop position was that it's a retail cashier/clerk position and they very clearly, from my experience there when I was an undergrad, do not require their employees to have previous "sales experience". Moreover, they made it very clear that the interview was all about proving two things; you have enough people skills to answer customers basic questions/push reserves and can demonstrate decent knowledge of the game industry. They hired a lot of college kids and a couple of high school seniors and experience was not prerequisite to getting a position at gamestop. My response to his post had nothing to do with my expectations of "the real world"; the point was that the truth of the game sales industry was not at all how he wanted to portray it. Jobs like gamestop clerk, which start at minimum wage, do not require previous experience.

It's a different story if you're interviewing for a position as a store manager, or even key holder, but certain positions, such as supermarket cashier, gamestop clerk, blockbuster clerk, subway sandwich clerk, etc. do not require experience, as if they did, no one would ever have the experience necessary to gain these starting positions in the first place. That ties in to the part of your post I bolded; why would anyone with "meaningful" retail experience apply for one of these positions (short of falling on hard times)? That's WHY they don't require any legitimate sales experience to attain.

Edited, Mar 8th 2011 12:02am by MCraine
____________________________

#43 Mar 07 2011 at 11:14 PM Rating: Good
****
7,106 posts
Quote:
but certain positions, such as supermarket cashier, gamestop clerk, blockbuster clerk, subway sandwich clerk, etc. do not require experience,

And if you'd said that (well, minus supermarket cashier, which pays well and is not typically the bottom of the ladder), you'd have been right. Instead, you lumped all retail work together in a way that must have seemed silly even when you wrote it.

You also apparently haven't looked into the other jobs you mention any time recently, because they often do require experience during economic downturns. Try visiting a successful Gamestop and asking the people who work there if it's their first job ever.

But, you know, good job bringing up the MBA. I'm sure you felt that would make your ideas more credible.

Edited, Mar 8th 2011 12:15am by Caesura
#44 Mar 07 2011 at 11:14 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
BushwicktheBlack wrote:
LillithaFenimore wrote:
Rate up for making something posetive :D It's like a breath of fresh air!


I think she was talking to me.

Thanks sweetums!



b^_^d np! Surprised you havn't been subdefaulted to **** though Lol. But seriously, i get why people are upset, I just donot get why they insist on littering the boards with their "complaints" instead of using the complaints thread.
____________________________


"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
#45 Mar 07 2011 at 11:17 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
991 posts
LillithaFenimore wrote:
BushwicktheBlack wrote:
LillithaFenimore wrote:
Rate up for making something posetive :D It's like a breath of fresh air!


I think she was talking to me.

Thanks sweetums!



b^_^d np! Surprised you havn't been subdefaulted to **** though Lol. But seriously, i get why people are upset, I just donot get why they insist on littering the boards with their "complaints" instead of using the complaints thread.


and i dont get why the mods dont move threads into the complaints thread where they belong instead of letting them litter the boards
____________________________


#46 Mar 07 2011 at 11:31 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
**
551 posts
Vedis wrote:
LillithaFenimore wrote:
BushwicktheBlack wrote:
LillithaFenimore wrote:
Rate up for making something posetive :D It's like a breath of fresh air!


I think she was talking to me.

Thanks sweetums!



b^_^d np! Surprised you havn't been subdefaulted to **** though Lol. But seriously, i get why people are upset, I just donot get why they insist on littering the boards with their "complaints" instead of using the complaints thread.


and i dont get why the mods dont move threads into the complaints thread where they belong instead of letting them litter the boards


Think people have a bad view of FFXIV now? Just imagine people's perception of the game when they only see 3 threads on the front page since the rest would all be in the "complaint" section.
____________________________



#47 Mar 08 2011 at 12:35 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,189 posts
MCraine wrote:
Caesura wrote:


And, on the whole Gamestop thing. This made me lol:
Quote:
it's a retail position, no experience is needed to get hired because if you needed experience to get into retail, no one would ever get their first job.

You, sir, are going to have an awkward time getting a real job someday. A competent manager will always take someone with experience over someone without, all else being equal. They definitely do not say "Well, no one will ever get a job if we don't let them work with no experience, so I'm gonna ignore the experienced guy and hire the inexperienced newb." If your Gamestop was hiring people with no retail experience, it's because they weren't getting any decent applicants with retail experience. Which, actually, makes sense, since I doubt many people with meaningful retail experience want to work at Gamestop.


No, actually, I'll have no trouble whatsoever finding a job as I've already earned my bachelors, am working on my masters and have had two full-time internships with companies within my field as well as actual employment experience in it and have an offer from one of the people I interned with lined up already if I choose to accept it when I finish my MBA. ''

My point about the gamestop position was that it's a retail cashier/clerk position and they very clearly, from my experience there when I was an undergrad, do not require their employees to have previous "sales experience". Moreover, they made it very clear that the interview was all about proving two things; you have enough people skills to answer customers basic questions/push reserves and can demonstrate decent knowledge of the game industry. They hired a lot of college kids and a couple of high school seniors and experience was not prerequisite to getting a position at gamestop. My response to his post had nothing to do with my expectations of "the real world"; the point was that the truth of the game sales industry was not at all how he wanted to portray it. Jobs like gamestop clerk, which start at minimum wage, do not require previous experience.

It's a different story if you're interviewing for a position as a store manager, or even key holder, but certain positions, such as supermarket cashier, gamestop clerk, blockbuster clerk, subway sandwich clerk, etc. do not require experience, as if they did, no one would ever have the experience necessary to gain these starting positions in the first place. That ties in to the part of your post I bolded; why would anyone with "meaningful" retail experience apply for one of these positions (short of falling on hard times)? That's WHY they don't require any legitimate sales experience to attain.

Edited, Mar 8th 2011 12:02am by MCraine


So what your basically telling me is when you were working at GameStop, you were never held to a productivity standard that was based on a metric scale. Futhermore, you are telling me that when you worked at GameStop, your hours were never predicated on your performance and all you had to do was stand behind the counter, ring up customer purchases, and push pre-orders on upcoming titles.

That is what your telling me, right?

This may be how things work at GameStop, but at GameCrazy, things were not that way... and I suspect things are a little more complicated than you are willing to admit. At GameCrazy, everyone from Manager on up to Regional Manager received a quarterly bonus based on a productivity metric. This metric basically boiled down as follows:

For every 10 transactions, you needed to sell 1 MVP (membership) card (10%)
For every 10 transactions, you needed to process 2 preorders. (20%)
For every 5 systems you sold, you needed to sell 3 Extended Warranties (60%)
Preorder conversion required the store to sell at least 75% of it's preordered units.

Each employee was held to the first 3 metric standards. The last one (preorder conversion) was a store-wide metric standard and is used to determine preorder allocation (stores with a higher preorder conversion were given higher priority when it came to title distribution). Note these were the minimum standards and not a form of cap. Employees who did not meet this standard on a weekly basis would receive couching (verbal warning) from the Store Manager or Assistant Manager (who was reprimanded by the District Manager either via a personal phone call or during the weekly district-wide phone conference). If the employee did not achieve the metric standard the following week, the employee would be placed on a Performance Evaluation Plan (written warning) and that employee's hours would be cut back and given to other employees until that employee was able to meet the metric standard. If, after a month, the employee did not meet the metric standard, that employee would be terminated.

Let's look at an example metric:

EMPLOYEE: OberonQA
MVP: 5(10%)
PREORDER: 10(20%)
WARRANTY: 9(60%)
SYSTEM SALES: 15
TRANSACTIONS: 50

EMPLOYEE: JoeBob
MVP: 1(2%)
PREORDER: 5(10%)
WARRANTY: 0(0%)
SYSTEM SALES: 5
TRANSACTIONS: 50

In this example, OberonQA has achieved the standard metric for the week, whereas JoeBob has not. JoeBob would receive the couching (verbal warning). If JoeBob did not improve and reach the standard metric the next week, he would be written up and his hours reduced accordingly. If, after a month JoeBob had not improved and reached the standard metric, he would be terminated.

One of the biggest reasons for the metric standard is actually quite simple.... retail game stores are very competitive. Not only did Managers get a quarterly bonus based on the performance of his/her employees, the District Managers got a quarterly bonus based on the overall performance of his/her district and the Regional Managers got a quarterly bonus based on the overall performance of his/her region. Just like employees were held to a metric standard, so to were stores (which was a cumulative percentage based on the scores of the employees that worked that store), the districts (which was a cumulative percentage based on the scores of each store in the district) and the region (which was a cumulative percentage based on the scores of each district in the region).

Due in part to this competition, no manager would want to be called out and reprimanded during the weekly district phone conference. It would be embarrassing to be reprimanded by your boss in the presence of your peers. Furthermore, districts that performed poorly would result in the District Manager being reprimanded by the Regional Manager... and so on and so forth up the chain. This lead to a lot of competition, and the successful stores (like mine) were the ones that took that competition seriously.

But what your telling me is you weren't held to this kind of metric standard. Furthermore, what your telling me is there really wasn't any reason for you to actually push preorders or the Edge card (GameStop's membership program) or anything of the sort. What your telling me is you basically punched a clock and as long as you showed up to work every day and weren't rude to the customers, everything was fine and dandy.

I don't buy that. I'm sorry. Perhaps you were not aware of the true nature of the business due to being a GSR (or whatever GameStop calls them).... or perhaps you weren't there long enough to learn about this. But I cannot believe GameStop doesn't use a similar metric for measuring performance. I cannot believe that because GameStop districts are much bigger than GameCrazy districts were, so there would be a lot more room for competition between stores in a district and even competition between districts. If this is indeed the case, I cannot for the life of me fathom how GameStop remains in business, as no store can make profit just selling new games. At GameCrazy, we always pushed the used copy of a game if we had it... because used games are where the lions share of a stores profit is derived. A new game that costs $60 ultimately cost the company %50-%55 just to get on the shelf. Whereas with a used game, you can make at least a 100% increase in profit... and usually even more than that.

Here's an example:

Tim comes in to buy Halo: Reach for $59.99 USD. The store receives a $5.99 profit. Tim comes back in a month later and trades Halo: Reach in for $25 store credit. The same day, Bobby comes in looking to buy Halo: Reach. If the store sells Bobby the used copy that it just aqquired from Tim, they sell it to him for $49.99, making a $24.99 profit ($49.99 - $25 store credit given to Tim). If the store sells Bobby a new copy, the store only makes another $5.99 profit. That is almost a 400% profit selling the used copy over the new copy.

Furthermore, in regards to your "game retail doesn't require sales experience because if it did, no one would be able to get a job to get the experience in the first place" argument... let me ask you something:

Do you even know how easy it is to get and show sales experience?

...

Seriously, do you?

Anyone can get sales experience... even the kid who is still in high school. Did you sell raffle tickets at your school's football game? If so, you got yourself some sales experience (cash handling). Did you work as a cashier at Mcdonalds? If so, you got yourself some sales experience because Mcdonald's cashiers are required to ask all customers if they would like to SuperSize their order (which is referred to as upselling). Heck... you said yourself your only experience prior to working at GameStop was at a supermarket. Did you ever help a shopper find something while you worked at that supermarket? If so, you got yourself some sales experience (identifying the needs of the customer and making personalized recommendations based on that customers needs).

Sales experience is a complete and total no-brainer to pitch and anyone who can pitch their sales experience (regardless of how off the wall) shows they have sales experience.

Edited, Mar 7th 2011 10:37pm by oberonqa
#48 Mar 08 2011 at 6:47 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
437 posts
Rate up for the OP from me. You make a lots of good and sobering points. I'm not sure on your performace comparison for the PS3 but the reason I wont go for console is that its performance will be fixed, on ps2 XI very quickly started looking dated and very ugly compared to what my PC would produce. In 5 years when some of us could still be here, ps3 will be out dated but the PC version of the game will still look great (if we upgrade as I do every so often).

Overall though, the game will get 'fixed' (some of us wont like the changes, but you rightly point out that wont matter), it will hopefully get good ps3 reviews and be the huge game that it should be. I dont mind gamma testing... I'm having FUN here too.
____________________________

Metin - Phoenix - BLM75 WHM48 Retired

http://cojenova.enjin.com/ff14forum

#49 Mar 08 2011 at 7:01 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
386 posts
Zorvan wrote:
Vedis wrote:
LillithaFenimore wrote:
BushwicktheBlack wrote:
LillithaFenimore wrote:
Rate up for making something posetive :D It's like a breath of fresh air!


I think she was talking to me.

Thanks sweetums!



b^_^d np! Surprised you havn't been subdefaulted to **** though Lol. But seriously, i get why people are upset, I just donot get why they insist on littering the boards with their "complaints" instead of using the complaints thread.


and i dont get why the mods dont move threads into the complaints thread where they belong instead of letting them litter the boards


Think people have a bad view of FFXIV now? Just imagine people's perception of the game when they only see 3 threads on the front page since the rest would all be in the "complaint" section.


If there were only 3 threads on the front page it means posters need to post less trash and more constructive feedback.

I have no problem with people who hate this game or have serious problems with it, but there's a difference between ranting for the sake of ranting, and saying "X in the game sucks. This is why I think it sucks. It would be better if they did Y instead, what do you think?".
#50 Mar 08 2011 at 8:25 AM Rating: Good
7 posts
I visit these threads from time to time to see what the FFXIV community is talking about. I don't post much. But, this topic has compelled me to post. In light of the multitude of negative posts I've seen here as of late, it is nice to see someone post something positive.

I would like to point out that the bulk of subscribers for FFXI was the PS2. It shall be so again with FFXIV. Granted, graphic quality will be paramount on PC for FFXIV just as it was on FFXI, but that doesn't mean that graphics on the PS3 will be horrible, it will be a substantial jump from FFXI(PS2) to FFXIV(PS3). As mentioned by several other posters, Japan is primarily a console gaming country. I have friends right now that are still playing FFXI because they intend to play FFXIV on the PS3 and don't want to spend the cash required to build/get a PC that can run FFXIV well. I spent about $1,000 on my FFXIV PC. When done correctly releasing an MMO on a console removes that pricey barrier to participating in MMOs. If it's one thing that Yoshi P. has shown so far, it's that he understands MMOs and is committed to getting this game back on track. A task which I think he is well on his way to accomplishing looking at the patches released so far. Now that the official forums have launched it would be in the best interest of PC players to provide constructive feedback on the game so that when our PS3 friends join us they'll have a blast.
____________________________
High Summoner Shuichi - 75SMN | 75SAM | 75NIN | 75MNK | 75BLM
Levi Server
ShuichixXalien
#51 Mar 08 2011 at 8:33 AM Rating: Decent
**
557 posts
Shuichi wrote:
If it's one thing that Yoshi P. has shown so far, it's that he understands MMOs and is committed to getting this game back on track.

The last patch satisfied no one--the purists deplore the addition of threat and questgiver icons, the levelers are dissatisfied with the rewards, and both seem to find the quest design to be wanting.

Yoshi seems to understand how MMOs in the past operated, and he's working to make this what would have been a mediocre title 5 years ago, but he isn't putting it back on track (I get the sense the original development team wanted to do something groundbreaking, but didn't have the means to).

Yoshi's job is to make the game easy enough to play in the beginning so that when they release this on the PS3 they don't get a flood of complaints.
____________________________


« Previous 1 2 3 4 5
This thread is locked
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 26 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (26)