Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2 3
This Forum is Read Only

Servers down for 1 weekFollow

#1 Mar 13 2011 at 2:44 AM Rating: Good
Temporary Suspension of the Services Due to an Earthquake
Due to the continuous earthquakes occurring in the eastern regions of Japan since Mar. 11, 2011, the power companies in Japan have encouraged everyone to cooperate by conserving as much energy as possible as it is feared there will not be enough power supply. Based on the current situation, we have decided to shut down the game servers temporarily, and therefore to suspend services of FINAL FANTASY XIV, FINAL FANTASY XI, and PlayOnline temporarily.

The services will be temporarily suspended for at least a week starting on Mar. 13, 2011 3:00 (PDT). We will provide an update regarding the reinstatement of the service as additional information becomes available. In connection with the temporary suspension of services, players will not be billed for any PlayOnline service throughout the April billing cycle. Additional information regarding this matter will also be posted as it becomes available.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, and thank you for your understanding of this unusual situations.

[Date & Time]
A week starting from Mar. 13, 2011 3:00 (PDT)

[Affected Service]
- FINAL FANTASY XIV
- FINAL FANTASY XI
- PlayOnline

* Additionally, the following services are currently unavailable:

- Friend List Plus
- FINAL FANTASY XI Linkshell Community Beta Version
- PlayOnline Friend List Application
- Community Site Link Registration: Owner Menu

* Please be advised that we will continue to operate the official websites, FINAL FANTASY XIV Lodestone, forums, and the SQUARE ENIX Support Center to be able provide our customers with updates on the current situation.
    
    
[Reference]
An excerpt from the Caution posted on
TOKYO ELECTRIC POWER COMPANY (TEPCO)’s home page:

A big earthquake occurred in the northern part of Japan at 2:46PM of March 11th 2011. Because TEPCO's facilities have been seriously damaged, power shortage may occur.
TEPCO appreciates customers' cooperation in reducing electricity usage by avoiding using unnecessary lighting and electrical equipment.
We are taking all measures to restore power, however, we expect extremely challenging situation in power supply for a while. We kindly ask our customers to cooperate with us in reducing usage of power.
____________________________
#2 Mar 13 2011 at 2:53 AM Rating: Default
*
144 posts
I know this sounds like a douchey thing to say, but i hope they ninja an update when the servers come back up.


Edited, Mar 13th 2011 9:41pm by levelxplane
____________________________
Sir Littlej wrote:
i think i said goodbye, but i might have told him to go die, im not sure


Tera Kalinathon wrote:
i do like... wood o.o



#3 Mar 13 2011 at 2:56 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
12,707 posts
levelxplane wrote:
I know this sounds like a douchey thing to say, but i hope they ninja an update when the servers come back up.


Not unless they finished it prior to the natural disasters and conservations.
____________________________

#4 Mar 13 2011 at 2:56 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
259 posts
I doubt they are working next week.
#5 Mar 13 2011 at 2:56 AM Rating: Decent
***
3,177 posts
levelxplane wrote:
I know this sounds like a douchey thing to say, but i hope they ninja an update when the servers come back up.


Totally uncalled for.
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#6 Mar 13 2011 at 3:13 AM Rating: Decent
I can't find the official statement about the start of the shutdown.
____________________________
http://www.mightoswelt.de
#7 Mar 13 2011 at 3:18 AM Rating: Default
*
141 posts
Thanks for posting, but ther eis currently an existing thread on this topic (albeit with a different title) here -> http://ffxiv.zam.com/forum.html?forum=152&mid=1299997191310929151&page=1
#8 Mar 13 2011 at 3:20 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
351 posts
I'm surprised they could keep going for as long as they have given that they're experiencing three major disasters at once. Amazing work ethic, as always, and totally understandable that they have to make this move.

Meanwhile, I think a week+ offline of FFXI and FFXIV is going to send some basement-dwellers over the edge.
#9 Mar 13 2011 at 3:25 AM Rating: Default
**
568 posts
It's like a vacation from grinding.

I hope the lead designers use this time to decide on the design issues at hand so they aren't always on the consideration section.

The coders probably appreciate a break too since they've probably been working non-stop since the release.
#10 Mar 13 2011 at 3:33 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
351 posts
seiferdincht wrote:
The coders probably appreciate a break too since they've probably been working non-stop since the release.


Thousands are dead. Infrastructure is smashed. Millions are homeless and have no food or water. They can barely keep the power on because their nuclear reactors are about to blow. Sounds like a great "getaway."
#11 Mar 13 2011 at 3:41 AM Rating: Decent
Yeah sorry, I was limited on how much could be in a title...

Source for this post: Lodestone

The real kicker is that I finally convinced my friend to join FFXIV and now he can't set his account up lol.

Well I guess I am going to take my revenge out on some wastelanders in Fallout 3 this next week.
____________________________
The majority always wins!

Quote:
Sacris solemnis juncta sint gaudia,
et ex praecordiis sonent praeconia;
recedant vetera, nova sint omnia,
corda, voces, et opera.


#12 Mar 13 2011 at 3:50 AM Rating: Decent
*
186 posts
ForceOfMeh wrote:
seiferdincht wrote:
The coders probably appreciate a break too since they've probably been working non-stop since the release.


Thousands are dead. Infrastructure is smashed. Millions are homeless and have no food or water. They can barely keep the power on because their nuclear reactors are about to blow. Sounds like a great "getaway."


lol.

I am wondering if USA and/or other countries are currently being involved with this. The fact of the matter is, Japan could use some help and the leaking nuclear reactor is a serious global issue. Japan is not the only one that can be affected.
____________________________
Watch who you are calling Douchebags, jerk. BANNED
#13 Mar 13 2011 at 5:08 AM Rating: Good
**
495 posts
With the rolling blackouts coming and the call for conservation I was wondering when this was going to happen. I actually hope they aren't asked to work during this time, they should go out visit family members and help out others in need for the time being. Such a horrific event :/
#14 Mar 13 2011 at 6:01 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
69 posts
I honestly can't believe some of the people posting on this subject can even talk about an update. The fact that thousands of people are dead and the country is torn apart.....for a person to even have the audacity to make a thread on this......

Seriously.....the world would be a better place without you.........scum
#15 Mar 13 2011 at 6:29 AM Rating: Default
**
782 posts
I'll probably be blasted for saying this but this is EXACTLY why other companies spread their servers around to various data centers around the globe. It makes no sense to put all your eggs (servers) in one basket (an island country).

Id be willing to bet if blizzard were SE a fraction of the wow servers would be offline and if you were on one affected you'd be able to meet up on a different server for a week (keep in mind some people use it as a glorified chatroom).

Yeah yeah, in the grand scheme its no big deal but you'd think a company making as much as SE does would have someone around to point these kind of things out to them and prevent them from making these mistakes in the first place.
#16 Mar 13 2011 at 6:52 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
Take all the time you need SE. Human life is more important.

To the people talking about updates and such... Did your parents not teach you anything? I mean really... people haved died, displaced from their home, facing a Cherinobl*sp* type situation, etc... Wtf is wrong with you jerks?
____________________________


"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
#17 Mar 13 2011 at 7:11 AM Rating: Good
**
370 posts
Quote:
I'll probably be blasted for saying this but this is EXACTLY why other companies spread their servers around to various data centers around the globe. It makes no sense to put all your eggs (servers) in one basket (an island country).

Id be willing to bet if blizzard were SE a fraction of the wow servers would be offline and if you were on one affected you'd be able to meet up on a different server for a week (keep in mind some people use it as a glorified chatroom).

Yeah yeah, in the grand scheme its no big deal but you'd think a company making as much as SE does would have someone around to point these kind of things out to them and prevent them from making these mistakes in the first place.


SE servers were not affected by the Earthquake/Tsunami. The nuclear reactor, which is the main source of power in Japan, is damaged and currently offline. Companies are asked to conserve power so SE decided to shut down for a week. It was a humanitarian decision. Even your blessed Blizzard would do the same.
____________________________
Thaumaturge/Archer/Marauder
http://xivpads.viion.co.uk/?id=1847776
Moogle Inc linkshell
http://www.moogleinc.com
Stand in front of me fool...I am a Thaumaturge
#18 Mar 13 2011 at 7:19 AM Rating: Default
**
782 posts
Quote:
SE servers were not affected by the Earthquake/Tsunami. The nuclear reactor, which is the main source of power in Japan, is damaged and currently offline. Companies are asked to conserve power so SE decided to shut down for a week. It was a humanitarian decision. Even your blessed Blizzard would do the same.



Loss of power is included in the reasons why you shouldn't put your eggs in one basket. Natrual Disaster is another. Cooling is yet another. I didn't think I would have to list out EVERY single reason why you don't want your company to place all its servers in one local.

Nice job at being condescending though. For what it's worth I don't play WoW and since blizzard is tied to Activision I could give two sh*ts about them, but since they are a competitor they deserve mention.

Edited, Mar 13th 2011 8:21am by windexy
#19 Mar 13 2011 at 8:12 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
*****
12,707 posts
windexy wrote:
Quote:
SE servers were not affected by the Earthquake/Tsunami. The nuclear reactor, which is the main source of power in Japan, is damaged and currently offline. Companies are asked to conserve power so SE decided to shut down for a week. It was a humanitarian decision. Even your blessed Blizzard would do the same.



Loss of power is included in the reasons why you shouldn't put your eggs in one basket. Natrual Disaster is another. Cooling is yet another. I didn't think I would have to list out EVERY single reason why you don't want your company to place all its servers in one local.

Nice job at being condescending though. For what it's worth I don't play WoW and since blizzard is tied to Activision I could give two sh*ts about them, but since they are a competitor they deserve mention.

Edited, Mar 13th 2011 8:21am by windexy


America needs to suffer a devastating disaster like this all over just so certain people can learn it truly doesn't @#%^ing matter where your servers are, when sh*t like this happens you do everything you can to help out.

I'll never get the "oh? the home nation of the online game I'm playing is going through a total disaster? Well you should have put servers all over the world so I don't get affected by this" mentalty.

This person was correct, Blizzard would do exactly the same thing if a disaster of this scale struck the US.

Edited, Mar 13th 2011 7:12am by Theonehio
____________________________

#20 Mar 13 2011 at 8:22 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
852 posts
This goes well beyond a gaming issue and is truly a human issue. I hope everyone is able to make sure their families are safe and that everyone's able to chip in and minimize this horrible situation as much as possible.

Do whatever it is you need to do SE, for as long as possible. I don't pray, but my thoughts are with you, and all the Japanese now.
____________________________
#21 Mar 13 2011 at 8:47 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
176 posts
Mistress Theonehio wrote:
America needs to suffer a devastating disaster like this all over just so certain people can learn it truly doesn't @#%^ing matter where your servers are, when sh*t like this happens you do everything you can to help out.[/sm][/i]

Yeah... that'd really help the current situation.

Of all the MMOs I play that have servers in Japan, SE are the only ones that have taken down theirs down, being humanitarian? Oh please, rolling black-outs mean there's nothing they can do about it (apart from moving the servers to somewhere less unaffected) cause it'll eventually be forced on them.
____________________________

TERA looks tasty...
#22 Mar 13 2011 at 8:51 AM Rating: Excellent
*
101 posts
Mistress Theonehio wrote:


America needs to suffer a devastating disaster like this all over just so certain people can learn it truly doesn't @#%^ing matter where your servers are, when sh*t like this happens you do everything you can to help out.


Edited, Mar 13th 2011 7:12am by Theonehio



Really though? You'd wish the death and displacement of thousands of people to teach a lesson to a few people on Zam? If you're gonna ride a high horse and preach to a few people on a forum at least think about what you're saying and have a little tact.

Edited, Mar 13th 2011 10:52am by FinalSwag
#23 Mar 13 2011 at 9:08 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
27 posts
yikes! good luck se!
____________________________


FFXI-Asura, Character- Boatsingtao
#24 Mar 13 2011 at 9:29 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,098 posts
Jeez the military 24clock got me again 3:00 PDT is AM and the notice of shut down was 2hours and not 12.As bad as things are I doubt the international media would be covering this disaster if it wasn't for all the paranoid security camera footage. I had hoped this was the classic Japan quake where goods fall off market shelves and one day coverage but it's not.I'm relived that severs being down is the only way this crisis really connects to me at the moment. Smiley: frown
Smiley: twocents


Edited, Mar 13th 2011 10:40pm by Warmech
____________________________





#25 Mar 13 2011 at 9:35 AM Rating: Excellent
***
1,218 posts
ViKtoricus wrote:
ForceOfMeh wrote:
seiferdincht wrote:
The coders probably appreciate a break too since they've probably been working non-stop since the release.


Thousands are dead. Infrastructure is smashed. Millions are homeless and have no food or water. They can barely keep the power on because their nuclear reactors are about to blow. Sounds like a great "getaway."


lol.

I am wondering if USA and/or other countries are currently being involved with this. The fact of the matter is, Japan could use some help and the leaking nuclear reactor is a serious global issue. Japan is not the only one that can be affected.


Japan is getting whatever help it wants from the US government (and I'm sure all of the G20 nations as well). The problem is there's only so much you can do. No one has a "instantly cool down a nuclear reactor" kit available, nor a "rebuild tens or hundreds of billions of dollars worth of infrastructure immediately" plan. Pretty much we're going to send them as much food and clean water as we can, and loan them whatever equipment they need, provide any technical expertise that we can, and after that there's not much we CAN do.
#26 Mar 13 2011 at 9:47 AM Rating: Decent
1 post
A welcome break for me to be honest. Be ready for the continued grind after a rest :)

My thoughts go out to those in Japan at this horrible time.
____________________________
The only way to teach is to learn from your own mistakes...

#27 Mar 13 2011 at 9:47 AM Rating: Default
4 posts
What makes you so positive that the poster is from the US? And have you heard of The World trade attacks? I don't appreciate people from anywhere bashing my country. I am deeply saddened by the events in Japan and have offered my services to go over and help ( I am in the military). What have you done? making any plans to go help? Sending money? or are you just going on a forum writing nice things and judging others?
#28 Mar 13 2011 at 10:00 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
12,707 posts
piznatches wrote:
What have you done? making any plans to go help? Sending money? or are you just going on a forum writing nice things and judging others?


Already donating a few hundred and especially trying to get back to my hometown as it's the hardest hit but as you know, it's not exactly easy to get around with roads being washed out and pretty much wanting to keep areas clear while recovery efforts are going on. The only way I can actually get back is if they openly ask for volunteers from other countries and will send you there, especially considering I can't exactly get a regular flight out there with the cancellations.






____________________________

#29 Mar 13 2011 at 10:43 AM Rating: Good
***
3,530 posts
piznatches wrote:
And have you heard of The World trade attacks?


To be fair, the number of deaths in Japan is already more than triple the number that died in relation to the world trade centre attacks, and those attacks didn't put an entire country (and neighbouring ones) at risk. Entire cities weren't unaccounted for; miles and miles of evacuation didn't take place.

Yes, September 11th was a terrible disaster, I am certainly not debating that, but many people exaggerate both its death toll and its scope, probably due to dramatization in media and politics.
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#30 Mar 13 2011 at 10:57 AM Rating: Excellent
*
236 posts
We can't feel the effects (except through one of our precious video games being temporarily offline) so it's of no interest to us.

90% of young Americans that I know (living in a college town, I'm talking 18-25) are aware that there was "an earthquake" or "a big earthquake" in Japan and that "a nuclear plant exploded, or something" and have NO CLUE as to the severity or seriousness of the situation or how devastated Japan is or how devastating this can potentially be on a global level. They are all totally absorbed in their daily BS and American media outlets that sneak footage of the wreckage in Japan in between "news" about where Snooki was last seen or who Taylor Swift is currently rumored to be dating, how Michelle Obama manages to be so stylish or whether or not the country can survive :gasp: a year without the NFL.

These are all more important and newsworthy topics to the majority of young Americans (ie: future leaders), so it's really not surprising that people on a video game forum's first thoughts are about when they'll get their next update or how unfair/unfortunate it is that they can't access their game. Japan, as an entire country, is in a total state of crisis. Wake the eff up people.

Edited, Mar 13th 2011 12:59pm by MCraine
____________________________

#31 Mar 13 2011 at 11:16 AM Rating: Good
*
176 posts
It's in times of great calamity when escapism is needed the most.
____________________________


#33 Mar 13 2011 at 11:34 AM Rating: Decent
*
236 posts
Lubriderm the Fussy wrote:
MCraine wrote:
We can't feel the effects (except through one of our precious video games being temporarily offline) so it's of no interest to us.

90% of young Americans that I know (living in a college town, I'm talking 18-25) are aware that there was "an earthquake" or "a big earthquake" in Japan and that "a nuclear plant exploded, or something" and have NO CLUE as to the severity or seriousness of the situation or how devastated Japan is or how devastating this can potentially be on a global level. They are all totally absorbed in their daily BS and American media outlets that sneak footage of the wreckage in Japan in between "news" about where Snooki was last seen or who Taylor Swift is currently rumored to be dating, how Michelle Obama manages to be so stylish or whether or not the country can survive :gasp: a year without the NFL.

These are all more important and newsworthy topics to the majority of young Americans (ie: future leaders), so it's really not surprising that people on a video game forum's first thoughts are about when they'll get their next update or how unfair/unfortunate it is that they can't access their game. Japan, as an entire country, is in a total state of crisis. Wake the eff up people.

Edited, Mar 13th 2011 12:59pm by MCraine
It's not just the young. There are a lot of Americans who really don't view the Japanese as real people. Fat Man and Little Boy can attest to that.


I'm not arguing with you and you're probably right, but I can only speak for my generation and the younger people I know around here, and I don't think, for them, it has to do with the Japanese, but the fact that it doesn't interrupt their ability to watch jersey shore or text, text, text or facebook chat some hot chicks, bro... so, it just isn't on their radar. If it were Germany or Italy, it would barely be a bigger deal to these people, because they're so self absorbed, brain washed and distracted, that if it doesn't reach out and slap them in the face, it's barely real.
____________________________

#34 Mar 13 2011 at 11:40 AM Rating: Excellent
Quote:
I'm not arguing with you and you're probably right, but I can only speak for my generation and the younger people I know around here, and I don't think, for them, it has to do with the Japanese, but the fact that it doesn't interrupt their ability to watch jersey shore or text, text, text or facebook chat some hot chicks, bro... so, it just isn't on their radar. If it were Germany or Italy, it would barely be a bigger deal to these people, because they're so self absorbed, brain washed and distracted, that if it doesn't reach out and slap them in the face, it's barely real.
Yeah, I know what you saying, I've seen some of these people at work. TBH, I don't think they'd be affected much if the same disaster even happened just a few states away.
____________________________
Edited, Mar 21st 2011 2:14pm by Darqflame Lock Thread: Because Lubriderm is silly... ~ de geso

Almalieque wrote:
I know what a glory hole is, but I wasn't sure what the business part was in reference to.

My Anime List
#35 Mar 13 2011 at 11:52 AM Rating: Good
*
236 posts
Lubriderm the Fussy wrote:
Quote:
I'm not arguing with you and you're probably right, but I can only speak for my generation and the younger people I know around here, and I don't think, for them, it has to do with the Japanese, but the fact that it doesn't interrupt their ability to watch jersey shore or text, text, text or facebook chat some hot chicks, bro... so, it just isn't on their radar. If it were Germany or Italy, it would barely be a bigger deal to these people, because they're so self absorbed, brain washed and distracted, that if it doesn't reach out and slap them in the face, it's barely real.
Yeah, I know what you saying, I've seen some of these people at work. TBH, I don't think they'd be affected much if the same disaster even happened just a few states away.


Agree. The only difference is that they would feign interest and sympathy because it was an "American tragedy" and all the gossip would be about how "oh my god I feel so sorry for all those poor people in ______"
____________________________

#36 Mar 13 2011 at 12:08 PM Rating: Good
MCraine wrote:
Lubriderm the Fussy wrote:
Quote:
I'm not arguing with you and you're probably right, but I can only speak for my generation and the younger people I know around here, and I don't think, for them, it has to do with the Japanese, but the fact that it doesn't interrupt their ability to watch jersey shore or text, text, text or facebook chat some hot chicks, bro... so, it just isn't on their radar. If it were Germany or Italy, it would barely be a bigger deal to these people, because they're so self absorbed, brain washed and distracted, that if it doesn't reach out and slap them in the face, it's barely real.
Yeah, I know what you saying, I've seen some of these people at work. TBH, I don't think they'd be affected much if the same disaster even happened just a few states away.


Agree. The only difference is that they would feign interest and sympathy because it was an "American tragedy" and all the gossip would be about how "oh my god I feel so sorry for all those poor people in ______"
Don't forget about the people who would look for attention because they have a 3rd cousin who may or may not be missing.
____________________________
Edited, Mar 21st 2011 2:14pm by Darqflame Lock Thread: Because Lubriderm is silly... ~ de geso

Almalieque wrote:
I know what a glory hole is, but I wasn't sure what the business part was in reference to.

My Anime List
#37 Mar 13 2011 at 3:46 PM Rating: Decent
16 posts
I don't usually participate in game forums. I read them mostly just to get updates etc.. When I saw the Blatant America bashing it got my blood boiling! A. America is the first nation to jump in in any crisis and we also give the most.B. Just because you got a few **** heads talking crap on a forum doesn't give you the right to put down an entire nation!And wish us destruction! Especially one that gives so much in times of need.It is attitudes like this that makes me and others think "Why Bother helping other countries when they are just gonna talk **** about us?" (like ole Mistress here.) Our economy is pretty bad here yet we will suck it up and come give Japan a hand. Why? Because it is just the right thing to do and thats what Americans do for our friends and allies. (even if not a friend or ally just to be humane).

I don't nor do my family or friends, want to see any harm to anyone, be it natural disaster,or terrorism. We certainly don't want it wished on us either!

All you others chiming in that are Americans stating "Americans don't even view Japanese as real people" need to STFU and stop making us look bad this certainly is not true this country respects Japan as a friend and ally.

It really sickens me when I see people disrespecting or miss representing America or any other friend or ally country.
If you don't like America move to a place you feel more free. Good luck with that.

I made a few Japanese friends here just playing FFXIV and they are wonderful people and I pray they are ok. My heart goes out to them.

I think FFXIV needs to take all the time it needs to take care of their people. This is just a game! Peoples lives are not!

Japan will be in my prayers God bless!
#38 Mar 13 2011 at 4:21 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
235 posts
Mistress Theonehio wrote:
windexy wrote:
Quote:
SE servers were not affected by the Earthquake/Tsunami. The nuclear reactor, which is the main source of power in Japan, is damaged and currently offline. Companies are asked to conserve power so SE decided to shut down for a week. It was a humanitarian decision. Even your blessed Blizzard would do the same.



Loss of power is included in the reasons why you shouldn't put your eggs in one basket. Natrual Disaster is another. Cooling is yet another. I didn't think I would have to list out EVERY single reason why you don't want your company to place all its servers in one local.

Nice job at being condescending though. For what it's worth I don't play WoW and since blizzard is tied to Activision I could give two sh*ts about them, but since they are a competitor they deserve mention.

Edited, Mar 13th 2011 8:21am by windexy


America needs to suffer a devastating disaster like this all over just so certain people can learn it truly doesn't @#%^ing matter where your servers are, when sh*t like this happens you do everything you can to help out.

I'll never get the "oh? the home nation of the online game I'm playing is going through a total disaster? Well you should have put servers all over the world so I don't get affected by this" mentalty.

This person was correct, Blizzard would do exactly the same thing if a disaster of this scale struck the US.

Edited, Mar 13th 2011 7:12am by Theonehio


lol, your opinion seems a bit contradictive considering you just said America needs to suffer a devastating disaster. They don't understand, so they should suffer! MUWAHAHAHAHAAAA!!! I mean really, you think thousands of Americans should die just to prove a point on a video game forum?

But anyways, just because someone thinks that its probably not the smartest thing to place all your servers in one place, doesn't mean they don't understand or acknowledge what happened in Japan.

=D


Edited, Mar 13th 2011 6:23pm by Scape13

Quote:
I don't usually participate in game forums. I read them mostly just to get updates etc.. When I saw the Blatant America bashing it got my blood boiling! A. America is the first nation to jump in in any crisis and we also give the most.B. Just because you got a few sh*t heads talking crap on a forum doesn't give you the right to put down an entire nation!And wish us destruction! Especially one that gives so much in times of need.It is attitudes like this that makes me and others think "Why Bother helping other countries when they are just gonna talk sh*t about us?" (like ole Mistress here.) Our economy is pretty bad here yet we will suck it up and come give Japan a hand. Why? Because it is just the right thing to do and thats what Americans do for our friends and allies. (even if not a friend or ally just to be humane).

I don't nor do my family or friends, want to see any harm to anyone, be it natural disaster,or terrorism. We certainly don't want it wished on us either!

All you others chiming in that are Americans stating "Americans don't even view Japanese as real people" need to STFU and stop making us look bad this certainly is not true this country respects Japan as a friend and ally.

It really sickens me when I see people disrespecting or miss representing America or any other friend or ally country.
If you don't like America move to a place you feel more free. Good luck with that.

I made a few Japanese friends here just playing FFXIV and they are wonderful people and I pray they are ok. My heart goes out to them.

I think FFXIV needs to take all the time it needs to take care of their people. This is just a game! Peoples lives are not!

Japan will be in my prayers God bless!


Agreed. The people "bashing" Americans are no better then the people they are complaining about. They judge all of the people by the opinion of a few **** brains. You got those kind of people in all countries. I'm pretty sure a lot of Japanese wouldn't care if anything terrible happened in the US. But that doesn't mean as a whole that Japan wouldn't care.
As you said, America is going through pretty bad economy and is still, as they always have been, are the first to offer help. All these other countries love to bash Americans, but are very quick to accept help from them when they need it. Heck, the majority of deaths of US military personnel is from helping other countries when they are in need.

Edited, Mar 13th 2011 6:33pm by Scape13

Edited, Mar 13th 2011 6:35pm by Scape13
____________________________


#39 Mar 13 2011 at 4:56 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
136 posts
One of the worst natural disasters to strike modern japan has taken place and you expect them to give a **** about your video game?!

Perspective people, I know its the internet and you can spew out whatever insensitive trash enters your brain but have some resolve.

My heart goes out the the thousands who are experiencing some of the worst bad luck you could come across. Anyone without sympathy needs to do the world a huge favor and do some serious soul searching.
#41UncleRuckusForLife, Posted: Mar 13 2011 at 5:15 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Rated up, we can get sub defaulted together.
#42 Mar 13 2011 at 5:15 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*****
12,707 posts
PokemonMistyIsHot wrote:
It's astonishing how everyone becomes Mr. (or Mrs.) Caring when something bad happens to a country they like, have an interest in, or are in some small way connected to (that connection being something like playing FFXIV, not something bigger like being born there). How many thousands of people die DAILY in Africa? There are no “omg I'm so heartbroken for the people of Africa” posts on here every day are there? Does Africa just not qualify for being part of your prayers and thoughts because it's been happening for so long? Maybe it's because they aren't as technologically advanced as Japan is. Or maybe it's because you just don't care.


I think the biggest difference is African situations doesn't exactly get airtime beyond "Save the Children" type of programming however we all know the civil wars/aids/3rd world conditions etc. Isn't Africa one of the main Peace Corps locals?
____________________________

#43 Mar 13 2011 at 5:19 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,707 posts
They said "at least" one week. It sounds pretty chaotic over there right now and I'm sure they have absolutely no idea when things will stabilize. I've seen people state a couple of different times that the servers will be down one week, but I suspect it will be longer.

In fact, I suspect that a decent percentage of the current player base might not log back on until some more content rolls out. ****, there's a chance SE just comes out after a few weeks of servers being down and says that they are leaving them down until PS3 release.

And for all of you bashing anyone who says anything about ffxiv right now, you need to quit being unrealistic. It is possible to fully absorb the significance of the tragedy unfolding in Japan right now and still acknowledge that we won't be logging on to ffxiv for awhile.



#44 Mar 13 2011 at 5:27 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
1,707 posts
UncleRuckusForLife wrote:
PokemonMistyIsHot wrote:
It's astonishing how everyone becomes Mr. (or Mrs.) Caring when something bad happens to a country they like, have an interest in, or are in some small way connected to (that connection being something like playing FFXIV, not something bigger like being born there). How many thousands of people die DAILY in Africa? There are no “omg I'm so heartbroken for the people of Africa” posts on here every day are there? Does Africa just not qualify for being part of your prayers and thoughts because it's been happening for so long? Maybe it's because they aren't as technologically advanced as Japan is. Or maybe it's because you just don't care. To everyone getting upset over people concerned about the state of their game first and Japan second... At least they aren't being hypocrites. Yes what happened in Japan was a tragedy. What's happening in Africa is also a tragedy. Until you people start making daily posts and topics about how they are in your prayers too you just come off as an annoying weaboo (didn't say you were, just that you come off as one). Yeah I realize that's not something that belongs on the FFXIV discussion forums, but technically neither is this >.>

Honestly, it was bound to happen some day and I'm sure everyone knew it. When you build cities near one of the most active fault lines in the world what do you expect might happen? The same was said about New Orleans after Katrina hit. I'm not saying it to be a prick, I'm just stating facts.

To the people concerned about their game; At the end of the day SE is still a corporation with their main objective being to make money. As nice as suspending service of their products for as long as it takes to get Japan back up and running and helping the citizens of the country, it's just not going to happen. They will be down for the absolute bare minimum amount of time required.

The amount of butthurt this post is going to make will be astronomical, so before it gets sub-defaulted I hope at least someone gets a chance to rethink how much they feel its necessary to publicly mourn


Rated up, we can get sub defaulted together.


x3


#45 Mar 13 2011 at 5:36 PM Rating: Good
**
317 posts
Lubriderm the Fussy wrote:
MCraine wrote:
We can't feel the effects (except through one of our precious video games being temporarily offline) so it's of no interest to us.

90% of young Americans that I know (living in a college town, I'm talking 18-25) are aware that there was "an earthquake" or "a big earthquake" in Japan and that "a nuclear plant exploded, or something" and have NO CLUE as to the severity or seriousness of the situation or how devastated Japan is or how devastating this can potentially be on a global level. They are all totally absorbed in their daily BS and American media outlets that sneak footage of the wreckage in Japan in between "news" about where Snooki was last seen or who Taylor Swift is currently rumored to be dating, how Michelle Obama manages to be so stylish or whether or not the country can survive :gasp: a year without the NFL.

These are all more important and newsworthy topics to the majority of young Americans (ie: future leaders), so it's really not surprising that people on a video game forum's first thoughts are about when they'll get their next update or how unfair/unfortunate it is that they can't access their game. Japan, as an entire country, is in a total state of crisis. Wake the eff up people.

Edited, Mar 13th 2011 12:59pm by MCraine
It's not just the young. There are a lot of Americans who really don't view the Japanese as real people. Fat Man and Little Boy can attest to that.


I would not claim that the dropping of the atomic bombs on Japan really reflect the attitudes of Americans today; That is just ridiculous.
____________________________
Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaarl

Carl - "Shhhh, do you hear that? That is the sound of forgiveness."
"That is the sound of people drowning Carl."
Carl - "That is what forgiveness sounds like, screaming and then silence."
#46 Mar 13 2011 at 6:09 PM Rating: Good
**
284 posts
Thoughts and prayers to the people of Japan. There is no need to bash any country at a time like this, or anytime for that matter. Painting any group of people with a broad brush is unwise and ignorant at best. Its always the minority of people that speak the loudest so dont take the foolish statements of any particular person as truth about an entire nation.

I agree that America and loads of other countries jump in to help when people are in need. No one is perfect and it doesnt matter who helps first or last it only matters that people helped.

People's lives are more important than games, sporting events, holidays, parties, and yes facebook. Im sure most people already know this however, in case there are those that do not then know this.....lives are more important.

Once again prayers to the people of Japan and those in Hawaii also. Know that there is an unchangeable foundation that will never be moved that cares about you always. God bless you all.
#47 Mar 13 2011 at 6:13 PM Rating: Decent
Sage
Avatar
*
111 posts
Quote:
It's astonishing how everyone becomes Mr. (or Mrs.) Caring when something bad happens to a country they like, have an interest in, or are in some small way connected to (that connection being something like playing FFXIV, not something bigger like being born there). How many thousands of people die DAILY in Africa? There are no “omg I'm so heartbroken for the people of Africa” posts on here every day are there? Does Africa just not qualify for being part of your prayers and thoughts because it's been happening for so long? Maybe it's because they aren't as technologically advanced as Japan is. Or maybe it's because you just don't care. To everyone getting upset over people concerned about the state of their game first and Japan second... At least they aren't being hypocrites. Yes what happened in Japan was a tragedy. What's happening in Africa is also a tragedy. Until you people start making daily posts and topics about how they are in your prayers too you just come off as an annoying weaboo (didn't say you were, just that you come off as one). Yeah I realize that's not something that belongs on the FFXIV discussion forums, but technically neither is this >.>

Honestly, it was bound to happen some day and I'm sure everyone knew it. When you build cities near one of the most active fault lines in the world what do you expect might happen? The same was said about New Orleans after Katrina hit. I'm not saying it to be a prick, I'm just stating facts.

To the people concerned about their game; At the end of the day SE is still a corporation with their main objective being to make money. As nice as suspending service of their products for as long as it takes to get Japan back up and running and helping the citizens of the country, it's just not going to happen. They will be down for the absolute bare minimum amount of time required.

The amount of butthurt this post is going to make will be astronomical, so before it gets sub-defaulted I hope at least someone gets a chance to rethink how much they feel its necessary to publicly mourn


You sir or madam just said what I was thinking, but unlike me, you actually have the guts to say it and can arrange your thoughts enough. Kudos. I like Japan a lot, but to be endlessly caring about them from such a remote place can come off as being pretentious. Will I be making donations to help? Ofcourse. Will I pray/cry/***** endlessly about the tragedy? I don't know anyone personally in Japan, so no.

As for the American bashing thing, we should stop that but should still acknowledge that, unless you have a relative or friend in Japan, you most likely won't be very affected by it. And thus, other things ARE more important to you. I have been painting up miniatures during the weekend when the crisis had been happening. How dare I think toy soldiers are more important than the lives of more than 10,000 people? I must be an insensitive callous *******! Oh look, the Libyan rebels are marching towards the capital to do war. Why are they trying to kill more people? Why aren't they mourning for the Japanese? /sarcasm

****, I bet in every country, they care more about their own people in Japan than the Japanese. Here in Australia, they, naturally, care more about "Affected Aussies" than the 10,000 Japanese who may have died. It's a harsh truth, but human look out for their kind first, and if all of their kinds are alright, then maybe they will help the other groups.

News update: Aw heck. Green Peace is doing a 'Hey look the nuclear power plant is facing a meltdown. We always know it's unsafe. We told you so.' They're just getting more ammo from the tragedy. I bet they secretly WANT a meltdown to happen, or a second Chernobyl, so they'll have even more ammo. They don't even have some bloody courtesy to wait until everything stabilize to raise it up.

My thoughts go mainly to the people in the nuclear power plants. It takes courage and selflessness (if not a bit of applied force) to stay in a seriously dangerous place like that in a disaster to stop things from becoming worse with the risk of a catastrophe. Reminds me of the lowly mall securities in Japan whom are briefed everyday that should a danger occur in the mall, their own lives are expendable to protect the other people. /salute

Edited, Mar 13th 2011 8:14pm by Enfid

Edited, Mar 13th 2011 8:23pm by Enfid
#48 Mar 13 2011 at 6:32 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
I have to admit this: My fiancee's best friend (her maid of honor) is currently in Japan staying with her boyfriend who is going to school there. As soon as she heard the news, my fiancee's first reaction was "I hope she'll be able to make it back before the wedding" and "I told her to postpone her trip until after the wedding was over!"

Le sigh.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#49 Mar 13 2011 at 8:05 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
852 posts
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
I have to admit this: My fiancee's best friend (her maid of honor) is currently in Japan staying with her boyfriend who is going to school there. As soon as she heard the news, my fiancee's first reaction was "I hope she'll be able to make it back before the wedding" and "I told her to postpone her trip until after the wedding was over!"

Le sigh.


Wow. No offense, your fiancee's a bridezilla. Gross.
____________________________
#50 Mar 13 2011 at 9:00 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,148 posts
I wouldn't bank on it being 7 days...

POL wrote:
The services will be temporarily suspended for
    at least
a week starting on Mar. 13, 2011 3:00 (PDT).


Wouldn't doubt if it were longer considering the magnitude of damage that has been caused over there.

Edited, Mar 13th 2011 11:01pm by FilthMcNasty
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#51 Mar 13 2011 at 9:06 PM Rating: Default
*
123 posts
This is a weird thought, but does anyone think that there might be a temptation on SE's part to keep the servers down for more than a week... maybe keep the game offline until some more fixes have been done?
« Previous 1 2 3
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 16 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (16)