Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Servers down for 1 weekFollow

#52 Mar 13 2011 at 9:17 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*****
12,704 posts
KingWinterclaw wrote:
This is a weird thought, but does anyone think that there might be a temptation on SE's part to keep the servers down for more than a week... maybe keep the game offline until some more fixes have been done?


Aside the obvious, I'm not exactly sure why they would need the server's offline to do this. They can work on patches while the servers are live...but for now I'd say there's more to worry about, especially with rolling blackouts it won't be surprising if there's little to no work done this next week or so.
____________________________

#53 Mar 13 2011 at 9:21 PM Rating: Decent
*****
11,539 posts
hexaemeron wrote:
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
I have to admit this: My fiancee's best friend (her maid of honor) is currently in Japan staying with her boyfriend who is going to school there. As soon as she heard the news, my fiancee's first reaction was "I hope she'll be able to make it back before the wedding" and "I told her to postpone her trip until after the wedding was over!"

Le sigh.


Wow. No offense, your fiancee's a bridezilla. Gross.


She's actually a lot nicer and more thoughtful than that single quote would lead you to believe, honestly. I'm far more of a groomzilla than she is a bridezilla.

She just has her little moments where she says something and I'm like "Wow, try thinking about someone other than yourself for a change".

Still love her in spite of her character flaws though.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#54 Mar 13 2011 at 9:22 PM Rating: Good
I have been and will continue to pray for all those affected by this terrible tragedy.



Edited, Mar 13th 2011 11:27pm by KuradoJimeatsu
____________________________


#55 Mar 13 2011 at 9:35 PM Rating: Good
*
123 posts
Mistress Theonehio wrote:
Aside the obvious, I'm not exactly sure why they would need the server's offline to do this. They can work on patches while the servers are live...but for now I'd say there's more to worry about, especially with rolling blackouts it won't be surprising if there's little to no work done this next week or so.


Good question and I'm having a hard time finding an answer myself... my guess is keep the servers down for awhile because they're going to be down and use the opportunity to do some major changes you wouldn't have otherwise. Likewise they can hope that absence makes the heart grow fonder and after say a month off and some big changes when people come back (like reduction of grind by 50% or something) maybe you can create a positive buzz that this game needs.
#56 Mar 13 2011 at 10:04 PM Rating: Good
***
1,996 posts
The longer it is down, the less likely people are to come back. That's for XI as well. MMO's are about habit as much as anything else and 6 weeks is an awfully long time to assume people won't find new things to do. I've been crawling FF sites for 24 hours now but that has about petered out and by tomorrow I, and many others, will be finding new ways to fill our evenings. The longer people are invested in those alternative hobbies, the less likely they will be to return.

____________________________


#57 Mar 13 2011 at 10:12 PM Rating: Good
*
93 posts
Wow. Speaking of butthurt, let's break this down.
PokemonMistyIsHot wrote:
It's astonishing how everyone becomes Mr. (or Mrs.) Caring when something bad happens to a country they like, have an interest in, or are in some small way connected to (that connection being something like playing FFXIV, not something bigger like being born there). How many thousands of people die DAILY in Africa? There are no “omg I'm so heartbroken for the people of Africa” posts on here every day are there? Does Africa just not qualify for being part of your prayers and thoughts because it's been happening for so long? Maybe it's because they aren't as technologically advanced as Japan is. Or maybe it's because you just don't care.

Or maybe it's because there aren't currently any significant natural disasters in Africa. Or are you supposing that it should be any other nation's job to get involved in your own political infighting? No offense, but if you want freedom, and are willing to fight for it, by all means do so. America fought that war. Twice.

And how many thousands of people die in any given country daily? Oh, except that Africa isn't actually a country, is it? It's a group of countries. Well, in that case, you might as well tack on the number of deaths in Canada, and the upper part of Mexico as well. Let's compare notes on that.

Or is it that you are suggesting that Americans aren't doing (and by "doing", I mean "spending") enough to cure diseases that are pandemic to Africa? Americans can't even seem to balance their budget, but it's good to know that there you stand, ready to tell them what to spend the money they don't have on. Really relieved here.

Long story short, step up or shut up, little 1-post sock. There's a world of difference between a climate where deaths have been allowed to happen, and a climate induced by a natural ******* disaster. You cheapen the lives lost with your drivel. But let's move on, shall we?
PokemonMistyIsHot wrote:
To everyone getting upset over people concerned about the state of their game first and Japan second... At least they aren't being hypocrites.

Oh, you must mean ViKtoricus. Who apparently doesn't miss a trick when it comes to aggrandizing himself and/or his POS website, or his virtually (see what I did there?) worthless opinions. I can only assume you mean him, since everyone else posting in these forums are either bleeding tears for the poor folk in Japan, or bashing countries they perceive as not acting strong/fast enough to suit their opinions.
PokemonMistyIsHot wrote:
Yes what happened in Japan was a tragedy. What's happening in Africa is also a tragedy. Until you people start making daily posts and topics about how they are in your prayers too you just come off as an annoying weaboo

Yeah. You are right. But welcome to http://ffxiv.zam.com. Africa isn't really a major concern. Unless it's in an upcoming patch.
PokemonMistyIsHot wrote:
Honestly, it was bound to happen some day and I'm sure everyone knew it. When you build cities near one of the most active fault lines in the world what do you expect might happen? The same was said about New Orleans after Katrina hit. I'm not saying it to be a prick, I'm just stating facts.

Actually, with all due respect (read: none) little 1-post-wonder, I'm reasonably sure that the people in New Orleans weren't ******** about living near a fault line. Having spent some time there, I'm pretty sure they were probably ******** out hurricanes. And giving them the finger.
PokemonMistyIsHot wrote:
The amount of butthurt this post is going to make will be astronomical, so before it gets sub-defaulted I hope at least someone gets a chance to rethink how much they feel its necessary to publicly mourn

Thanks, but I think we'll mourn as much as we please, pray as much as we please, and critique as much as we please....

...because here on ZAM, we self-moderate. Douche.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
Dread Lörd Kaolian wrote:
As a forum admin, you... see things. Things that you can never unseen.

I can only apologize so many times for that.
#58 Mar 13 2011 at 10:46 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
351 posts
PokemonMistyIsHot wrote:
The amount of butthurt this post is going to make will be astronomical, so before it gets sub-defaulted I hope at least someone gets a chance to rethink how much they feel its necessary to publicly mourn


Well thanks for taking the time to tell us of the virtues of being a selfish, uncaring prick. I'm sure many will take it under deep advisement once endgame starts up in full swing.
#59 Mar 13 2011 at 11:12 PM Rating: Good
5 posts
Wintersage wrote:
Wow. Speaking of butthurt, let's break this down.


I'm not quoting your entire text, but in response to the whole thing... Grow up. This is hardly worth my time, but just in case you need just one example, the number of posts linked to a user is not relevant in this situation. At all. Not even a little.

ForceOfMeh wrote:
PokemonMistyIsHot wrote:
The amount of butthurt this post is going to make will be astronomical, so before it gets sub-defaulted I hope at least someone gets a chance to rethink how much they feel its necessary to publicly mourn


Well thanks for taking the time to tell us of the virtues of being a selfish, uncaring prick. I'm sure many will take it under deep advisement once endgame starts up in full swing.


Whether or not he "cared" had nothing to do with his post. He was calling out 90% of the posters on this thread. Most people here seem to be in a race to "care the most" and it's pretty sad to see them all willing to cut everyone else down to show how much holier they are. It takes more than caring and speaking out about a single natural disaster every few years to be a humanitarian hero.

I'm guilty of being moved by the news, too. I'm sure most of us are. When I see it, it moves me. But, honestly, if I were to see the current news broadcasts side by side with a "diseased and starving children in 3rd world countries" broadcast, the latter would be more emotional for me. That problem won't go away. Japan is getting thousands of times more support right now.

We all have different levels of caring and sensitivity. We were all raised differently, in different areas, with different views on and understandings of community service and humanitarian outreach. Quit judging.

My thoughts and prayers are with Japan, because that, unfortunately, is all I have to offer right now.
____________________________

#60 Mar 13 2011 at 11:39 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
*
88 posts
GODZIRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
____________________________


DaevaofWar.com
#61 Mar 14 2011 at 1:34 AM Rating: Decent
8 posts
PokemonMistyIsHot wrote:
It's astonishing how everyone becomes Mr. (or Mrs.) Caring when something bad happens to a country they like, have an interest in, or are in some small way connected to (that connection being something like playing FFXIV, not something bigger like being born there). How many thousands of people die DAILY in Africa? There are no “omg I'm so heartbroken for the people of Africa” posts on here every day are there? Does Africa just not qualify for being part of your prayers and thoughts because it's been happening for so long?


I participated in a charity event to raise funds to get the people of Angola decent water last Friday 11 Mar... so... y'know? I get your point but please don't assume the entire world only sits up and takes notice of the headlines. There's a lot of work that goes on in the background that you simply might not be aware of.

*thinks* My husband and I had planned to holiday in Japan this year. Now I'm wondering what would be the right thing to do. I have great faith in the people to be able to rebuild and I also believe that a flagging tourism industry would hinder that, but now it feels somewhat tactless to be thinking about a holiday and maybe I should postpone.



#62 Mar 14 2011 at 3:41 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
2,801 posts
LillithaFenimore wrote:
Take all the time you need SE. Human life is more important.

To the people talking about updates and such... Did your parents not teach you anything? I mean really... people haved died, displaced from their home, facing a Cherinobl*sp* type situation, etc... Wtf is wrong with you jerks?



Going to go out on a limb and point out some uncomfortable truths. Let the rate downs commence.

We live in a me-me-me country in a me-me-me world. As I write this a dozen or so people in Africa have starved to death. A several children world wide have been sold into slavery. There's probably been a half dozen murders in the US. An untold number of drunks driving home (most get home safely -- at least until next time). And, oh yeah, probably a suicide or two. This is all in the time it takes for me to write this post.

All of the above are completely preventable. All of them through some means or another are completely, 100%, absolutely, undeniably preventable. Yet we as a nation and as a world and as a race that is capable of conquering the atom and sending a man to the moon -- we let it all happen.

This is the human condition. As long as we're fed and have football on the TV we're more than happy to turn a blind eye to "other people's problems". You ask what's wrong with these jerks. I ask what's wrong with humanity.
____________________________
WoW -- Zaia -- Dragonmaw -- Mage 80 BABY! Alchemy 450
Also... Hunter 62, Rogue 52, Warrior 66, Warlock 43, Death Knight 70, Shaman Who Cares? ;)

FFXI -- Caia -- Retired/Deleted -- Blm 75, Alchemy 97
Pandimonium server - Rank 10 - Bastok

Zaela Rdm -- 35, Alchemy 45 -- Forced into retirement because I didn't have the right kind of credit card. Hope it was worth 18 bucks a month, SE.

#63 Mar 14 2011 at 3:50 AM Rating: Excellent
*****
16,959 posts
Caia wrote:
LillithaFenimore wrote:
Take all the time you need SE. Human life is more important.

To the people talking about updates and such... Did your parents not teach you anything? I mean really... people haved died, displaced from their home, facing a Cherinobl*sp* type situation, etc... Wtf is wrong with you jerks?



Going to go out on a limb and point out some uncomfortable truths. Let the rate downs commence.

We live in a me-me-me country in a me-me-me world. As I write this a dozen or so people in Africa have starved to death. A several children world wide have been sold into slavery. There's probably been a half dozen murders in the US. An untold number of drunks driving home (most get home safely -- at least until next time). And, oh yeah, probably a suicide or two. This is all in the time it takes for me to write this post.

All of the above are completely preventable. All of them through some means or another are completely, 100%, absolutely, undeniably preventable. Yet we as a nation and as a world and as a race that is capable of conquering the atom and sending a man to the moon -- we let it all happen.

This is the human condition. As long as we're fed and have football on the TV we're more than happy to turn a blind eye to "other people's problems". You ask what's wrong with these jerks. I ask what's wrong with humanity.
Uncomfortable as they are, you can't honestly tell me that we can with 100% certainty prevent people from committing murders, ending their own lives and driving while intoxicated.
Unless you mean to say that we should all live in cages, and even then, I could only imagine an increase in the suicide rate.

Maybe you meant that we should be aiming for a 0% murder, suicide and accident rate. It wasn't worded like that at all.


I'll give you the children in Africa being sold into slavery, or starving to death though. I don't think we, meaning the developed world, do enough in that regard, though I'm hardly in a position to know what we are currently doing in those types of situations.
And yes, I realize this was part of the point you made. I agree with you on this.

Edited, Mar 14th 2011 4:01am by Kirby
____________________________
MyAnimeList FFXIV Krystal Spoonless
#64 Mar 14 2011 at 4:21 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,801 posts
Quote:
Uncomfortable as they are, you can't honestly tell me that we can with 100% certainty prevent people from committing murders, ending their own lives and driving while intoxicated.


Preventing murder is fairly easy. Teach people that everyone has value. When everyone starts believing that, the murder rate will go down significantly. Don't believe me? Look at human history. Whenever one group has said its superior to another, there has been trouble. The look what happens after both groups are on equal grounds. You'll notice that, among other things, the murder rate of the supposedly inferior group goes down. Way down. Slavery in America, **** Germany, Trail of Tears in America, treatment of the native peoples in Aulstralia and New Zealand. The list goes on and on.

Drunk driving can be eliminated in a few ways. The easiest way is for you and me and everyone else to not let their friends drive drunk. Failing that, enforce the laws that bars can't serve people who are visibly intoxicated. And to completely eliminate it, have a breathalyzer installed in every car. I'm not saying that's the way to go, but it would stop or nearly stop drunk driving.

Yes, they may no be completely preventable (I was using some hyperbole because it presents itself better), but that can be reduced drastically.

Edit: The point is that someone is surprised that someone else is acting in a self-serving way. I say this is just how humanity works.



Edited, Mar 14th 2011 6:32am by Caia
____________________________
WoW -- Zaia -- Dragonmaw -- Mage 80 BABY! Alchemy 450
Also... Hunter 62, Rogue 52, Warrior 66, Warlock 43, Death Knight 70, Shaman Who Cares? ;)

FFXI -- Caia -- Retired/Deleted -- Blm 75, Alchemy 97
Pandimonium server - Rank 10 - Bastok

Zaela Rdm -- 35, Alchemy 45 -- Forced into retirement because I didn't have the right kind of credit card. Hope it was worth 18 bucks a month, SE.

#66 Mar 14 2011 at 4:49 AM Rating: Good
*****
16,959 posts
Caia wrote:
Edit: The point is that someone is surprised that someone else is acting in a self-serving way. I say this is just how humanity works.
It no longer surprises me, either. And you're right, we're selfish to an extent, because it's what has enabled us to survive as long as we have.

Also, I disagree completely, with you saying that murder could be prevented fairly easily, in so many ways, but I'd rather not get into it.

Edited, Mar 14th 2011 4:52am by Kirby
____________________________
MyAnimeList FFXIV Krystal Spoonless
#67 Mar 14 2011 at 5:07 AM Rating: Default
21 posts
PokemonMistyIsHot wrote:
It's astonishing how everyone becomes Mr. (or Mrs.) Caring when something bad happens to a country they like, have an interest in, or are in some small way connected to (that connection being something like playing FFXIV, not something bigger like being born there). How many thousands of people die DAILY in Africa? There are no “omg I'm so heartbroken for the people of Africa” posts on here every day are there? Does Africa just not qualify for being part of your prayers and thoughts because it's been happening for so long? Maybe it's because they aren't as technologically advanced as Japan is. Or maybe it's because you just don't care. To everyone getting upset over people concerned about the state of their game first and Japan second... At least they aren't being hypocrites. Yes what happened in Japan was a tragedy. What's happening in Africa is also a tragedy. Until you people start making daily posts and topics about how they are in your prayers too you just come off as an annoying weaboo (didn't say you were, just that you come off as one). Yeah I realize that's not something that belongs on the FFXIV discussion forums, but technically neither is this >.>

Honestly, it was bound to happen some day and I'm sure everyone knew it. When you build cities near one of the most active fault lines in the world what do you expect might happen? The same was said about New Orleans after Katrina hit. I'm not saying it to be a prick, I'm just stating facts.

To the people concerned about their game; At the end of the day SE is still a corporation with their main objective being to make money. As nice as suspending service of their products for as long as it takes to get Japan back up and running and helping the citizens of the country, it's just not going to happen. They will be down for the absolute bare minimum amount of time required.

The amount of butthurt this post is going to make will be astronomical, so before it gets sub-defaulted I hope at least someone gets a chance to rethink how much they feel its necessary to publicly mourn


I've been saying this to my LS.

It's pathetic and ridiculous that some idiots who think they're Japanese suddenly care about someone who isn't themselves.
I'm not saying Japan doesn't deserve to be prayed for, but really? I bet that there's not a single person who posts here that actually gives a rats *** about Japan outside of "Japan made anime and cat girls KAWAIIIIIII"

Now i'm sure people will get defensive and say "No i care about the people there!"

So what about the huge earthquake that happened in New Zealand a while ago?
Did you give even half a sh*t when that happened? Or Haiti?
Or any other natural disaster that DIDN'T hit Japan?
No, you probably didn't.

That's fine if you care, but i'll bet that 90% of you are caring for the wrong reasons, and it's not only disgusting, but stupid.

And Elexia, really? That's good. Yes, America needs to suffer a disaster. "Japan suffered a disaster, we should too, just to be fair lol!" What good logic.
You're hella smart.
So smart that i've never seen you post one SINGLE smart thing on any thread.
I guess the generalization is true that some of the dumbest people play elvaan/elezen females :\
You're a disgrace to our race.
#68 Mar 14 2011 at 5:16 AM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
*
111 posts
Just because we're not praying for them every other sentence doesn't mean we don't care, you know. I feel afraid for them everytime I look at the news update, and hear some personal anecdotes, and it looks like things are just getting worse. I, and I'm sure some of the more "selfish pricks", genuinely care about the people caught in the tragedy, but we shake off the sadness and admit that, aside from donating to help them recover and hope/pray nothing worse happen, there is not much else we can do!

At uni where we have CNN in the cafeteria, I have to sometimes avert my gaze or go elsewhere because, let's face it, being exposed to such news continuously is bad for you. I follow the news every few hours, and I'm most worried about the nuclear power plants, but I can't stomach hearing about a man who can't find his wife yet. It's quite disheartening.
#69 Mar 14 2011 at 6:18 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
24 posts
PokemonMistyIsHot wrote:

Honestly, it was bound to happen some day and I'm sure everyone knew it. When you build cities near one of the most active fault lines in the world what do you expect might happen? The same was said about New Orleans after Katrina hit. I'm not saying it to be a prick, I'm just stating facts.

People have been living in Japan for thousands of years. Are you implying it's their fault for building cities without any foresight (well before seismology even came into existence)? I don't know if it's your intention, but you're wording it like it's their fault for living where they do and they're getting what they deserve, so I ask what was their alternative for city building locations?
PokemonMistyIsHot wrote:
It's astonishing how everyone becomes Mr. (or Mrs.) Caring when something bad happens to a country they like, have an interest in, or are in some small way connected to (that connection being something like playing FFXIV, not something bigger like being born there). How many thousands of people die DAILY in Africa? There are no “omg I'm so heartbroken for the people of Africa” posts on here every day are there? Does Africa just not qualify for being part of your prayers and thoughts because it's been happening for so long? Maybe it's because they aren't as technologically advanced as Japan is. Or maybe it's because you just don't care. To everyone getting upset over people concerned about the state of their game first and Japan second... At least they aren't being hypocrites. Yes what happened in Japan was a tragedy. What's happening in Africa is also a tragedy. Until you people start making daily posts and topics about how they are in your prayers too you just come off as an annoying weaboo (didn't say you were, just that you come off as one). Yeah I realize that's not something that belongs on the FFXIV discussion forums, but technically neither is this >.>

Also the point about Africa, we agree caring about natural disasters and world suffering are not mutually exclusive. My family sponsors children in Africa, but I don't find it odd that people are posting about Japan because it's a new development and people are by nature reactionary. This doesn't imply that what's going on in Africa is any less important, even though that's a conclusion that many posters here seem to have jumped to.
PokemonMistyIsHot wrote:

The amount of butthurt this post is going to make will be astronomical, so before it gets sub-defaulted I hope at least someone gets a chance to rethink how much they feel its necessary to publicly mourn

Believe it or not, people are capable of experiencing emotion when disaster strikes, it's known as empathy. It's impossible for me or you to gauge whether or not people are doing so genuinely in public on this discussion forum.

Also, to those who are going haywire about the game going offline, I'm pretty sure you guys can survive a week without it.
#70 Mar 14 2011 at 6:31 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
24 posts
ViolaLion wrote:
PokemonMistyIsHot wrote:
It's astonishing how everyone becomes Mr. (or Mrs.) Caring when something bad happens to a country they like, have an interest in, or are in some small way connected to (that connection being something like playing FFXIV, not something bigger like being born there). How many thousands of people die DAILY in Africa? There are no “omg I'm so heartbroken for the people of Africa” posts on here every day are there? Does Africa just not qualify for being part of your prayers and thoughts because it's been happening for so long? Maybe it's because they aren't as technologically advanced as Japan is. Or maybe it's because you just don't care. To everyone getting upset over people concerned about the state of their game first and Japan second... At least they aren't being hypocrites. Yes what happened in Japan was a tragedy. What's happening in Africa is also a tragedy. Until you people start making daily posts and topics about how they are in your prayers too you just come off as an annoying weaboo (didn't say you were, just that you come off as one). Yeah I realize that's not something that belongs on the FFXIV discussion forums, but technically neither is this >.>

Honestly, it was bound to happen some day and I'm sure everyone knew it. When you build cities near one of the most active fault lines in the world what do you expect might happen? The same was said about New Orleans after Katrina hit. I'm not saying it to be a prick, I'm just stating facts.

To the people concerned about their game; At the end of the day SE is still a corporation with their main objective being to make money. As nice as suspending service of their products for as long as it takes to get Japan back up and running and helping the citizens of the country, it's just not going to happen. They will be down for the absolute bare minimum amount of time required.

The amount of butthurt this post is going to make will be astronomical, so before it gets sub-defaulted I hope at least someone gets a chance to rethink how much they feel its necessary to publicly mourn


I've been saying this to my LS.

It's pathetic and ridiculous that some idiots who think they're Japanese suddenly care about someone who isn't themselves.
I'm not saying Japan doesn't deserve to be prayed for, but really? I bet that there's not a single person who posts here that actually gives a rats *** about Japan outside of "Japan made anime and cat girls KAWAIIIIIII"

Now i'm sure people will get defensive and say "No i care about the people there!"

So what about the huge earthquake that happened in New Zealand a while ago?
Did you give even half a sh*t when that happened? Or Haiti?
Or any other natural disaster that DIDN'T hit Japan?
No, you probably didn't.

That's fine if you care, but i'll bet that 90% of you are caring for the wrong reasons, and it's not only disgusting, but stupid.

And Elexia, really? That's good. Yes, America needs to suffer a disaster. "Japan suffered a disaster, we should too, just to be fair lol!" What good logic.
You're hella smart.
So smart that i've never seen you post one SINGLE smart thing on any thread.
I guess the generalization is true that some of the dumbest people play elvaan/elezen females :\
You're a disgrace to our race.

You make a ton of assumptions throughout your post, so I'll just feel free to leave you with this little nugget:

"All generalizations are false, including this one."
- Mark Twain

:)
#71Mistress Theonehio, Posted: Mar 14 2011 at 6:58 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) People with enough time also have and partake in multiple hobbies, especially multiple MMOs as so few actually charge monthly fees. It's just because it's related to SE that some people really assume this downtime would kill off their MMOs, if it was any other company some people wouldn't say this.
#72ViolaLion, Posted: Mar 14 2011 at 7:11 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) That quote, in regards to what i said, is false.
#73 Mar 14 2011 at 7:12 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
351 posts
Jerynh wrote:
Whether or not he "cared" had nothing to do with his post. He was calling out 90% of the posters on this thread. Most people here seem to be in a race to "care the most" and it's pretty sad to see them all willing to cut everyone else down to show how much holier they are.


You're right. How much he cared didn't have to do with anything. It's the idea that there are so many problems in the world that you shouldn't care about any one thing lest you be hypocritical for not caring enough for everything else.

It seems to me that if you can't even care about events that touch your life (and I would assume most people around here are touched by events in Japan through FFXI and FFXIV at the very least), you really can't be bothered to care about anything at all. It's like arguing you shouldn't learn arithmetic because you'd still be too inadequate to do calculus. It's a defeatist pessimism that never accomplishes anything.

Edited, Mar 14th 2011 9:13am by ForceOfMeh

Edited, Mar 14th 2011 9:24am by ForceOfMeh
#78 Mar 14 2011 at 8:12 AM Rating: Good
*
146 posts
MCraine wrote:


These are all more important and newsworthy topics to the majority of young Americans (ie: future leaders), so it's really not surprising that people on a video game forum's first thoughts are about when they'll get their next update or how unfair/unfortunate it is that they can't access their game. Japan, as an entire country, is in a total state of crisis. Wake the eff up people.

Edited, Mar 13th 2011 12:59pm by MCraine


This is a very noble comment.

But to everyone its role for Japan recovery. SE has already shut down servers for the sake of energy conservation, very good on them. Now their next role, with the other big players in the country's economy, will be to ensure a quick recovery so the country is not buried in a crisis for the decade to come.

I'm sure everyone's thoughts are with the victims and the family, but to be fair, I'm sure that those types of questions (timing of next patch) is among the top priorities at SE. But obviously, even if the concern is legitimate, it does not mean that the way it is asked for on forums is appropriate.

#91 Mar 14 2011 at 9:10 AM Rating: Excellent
Ok, stop with all this banter about World War 2 and whether or not it was necessary to drop the atomic bombs on Japan. I've already nuked a good number of those posts. If you want to continue with this debate, take it to PMs or to the OoT or Asylum, because it doesn't belong here, even if the XIV servers are down.
____________________________
Lady Jinte wrote:

Vlorsutes' Negotiation Skill rises 0.2 points
Vlorsutes' Observant Parent Skill rises 0.3 points
Vlorsutes' Argument Diffusing Skill rises 0.1 points

#92 Mar 14 2011 at 11:34 AM Rating: Decent
*
109 posts
I think the servers will be down for alot longer then a week.

I believe unit 1 and unit 3 areas exploded and they're claiming that unit 2's fuel rods are exposed so there could be another explosion. The ********* Dai-ichi plant took the most damage out of the 2 or 3 nuclear plants in that area.

So i'm thinking servers will be down for longer then a week. We see tho I guess.

3 disasters in a very short time really sucks. I pray that japan can recover fairly fast from all of this and love that team work they been doing from the very start of all this. Love and light to all japanese people.

Edited, Mar 14th 2011 12:35pm by Pyrien
____________________________
Windows 7 (64-bit)
Thermaltake Xaser VI Full Tower
MSI 790FX-GD70
2 OCZ SSD 120GB
AMD Phenom II 965 Quad-core 3.4Ghz
2 ATI Sapphire HD5870 1gb GDDR5
8GB OCZ DDR3
#93cornyboob, Posted: Mar 14 2011 at 12:31 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) To start I am not happy that this natural dissaster has happened and feel terrible for the millions effected by the loss of life and food shortages and lack of clean water to bathe in.
#94 Mar 14 2011 at 12:40 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*****
12,704 posts
cornyboob wrote:

Maybe forums will cheer up afterwards and we will apply real preasure to the dev team about something more then JUMP.


If you actually look at the official forums the dev team doesn't list "Jump" as the only adjustment/additions, same if you've actually read his letters. Most people already played other games on conjunction with XIV including XI.

Ironically a lot of other MMOs have jump, which means you're saying they'll experience other games (with Jump) and not pressure them to add jump? Smiley: grin
____________________________

#95 Mar 14 2011 at 1:09 PM Rating: Good
***
1,606 posts
hexaemeron wrote:
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
I have to admit this: My fiancee's best friend (her maid of honor) is currently in Japan staying with her boyfriend who is going to school there. As soon as she heard the news, my fiancee's first reaction was "I hope she'll be able to make it back before the wedding" and "I told her to postpone her trip until after the wedding was over!"

Le sigh.


Wow. No offense, your fiancee's a bridezilla. Gross.

Nah. I think she would be a bridezilla if she went off on her maid of honor for allowing the disaster to interfere with her (the fiancees) wedding plans.

Vlorsutes, Lord of Stuff wrote:
Ok, stop with all this banter about World War 2 and whether or not it was necessary to drop the atomic bombs on Japan. I've already nuked a good number of those posts. If you want to continue with this debate, take it to PMs or to the OoT or Asylum, because it doesn't belong here, even if the XIV servers are down.

Invader Zim didn't last as long as I would've liked it to have.


I think many of us are part of generations that have been desensitized to a lot of things. Doesn't mean we don't care. Just don't necessarily react the "approved" way.
#96 Mar 14 2011 at 2:44 PM Rating: Excellent
Vlorsutes, Lord of Stuff wrote:
Ok, stop with all this banter about World War 2 and whether or not it was necessary to drop the atomic bombs on Japan. I've already nuked a good number of those posts. If you want to continue with this debate, take it to PMs or to the OoT or Asylum, because it doesn't belong here, even if the XIV servers are down.
Nothing unfortunate about how that was worded, nope nothing at all.
____________________________
Edited, Mar 21st 2011 2:14pm by Darqflame Lock Thread: Because Lubriderm is silly... ~ de geso

Almalieque wrote:
I know what a glory hole is, but I wasn't sure what the business part was in reference to.

My Anime List
#97 Mar 14 2011 at 3:27 PM Rating: Good
It seems that part of being human is to enjoy perceived moral superiority.
#98 Mar 14 2011 at 3:36 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
SmashingtonWho wrote:
It seems that part of being human is to enjoy perceived moral superiority.


I'm not sure if that was sarcasm, but even if it isn't, it's still true for many people.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#99 Mar 14 2011 at 3:40 PM Rating: Good
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
SmashingtonWho wrote:
It seems that part of being human is to enjoy perceived moral superiority.


I'm not sure if that was sarcasm, but even if it isn't, it's still true for many people.
Carlin said it best. "My god has a bigger **** than your god."
____________________________
Edited, Mar 21st 2011 2:14pm by Darqflame Lock Thread: Because Lubriderm is silly... ~ de geso

Almalieque wrote:
I know what a glory hole is, but I wasn't sure what the business part was in reference to.

My Anime List
#100 Mar 14 2011 at 4:16 PM Rating: Good
*
88 posts
I think what SE did is noble.

Good for them.

As for their servers. Who the **** cares? People can say all day what "should" have been done. But whats done is done. Being petty about it now isn't going to accomplish anything.

The fact is a disaster occurred and it involved thousands of lives. Where it happened it doesn't matter. All I think we should do is provide our support in anyway we can and wish them the best.

Just my two bits.
#101 Mar 14 2011 at 4:18 PM Rating: Decent
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
SmashingtonWho wrote:
It seems that part of being human is to enjoy perceived moral superiority.


I'm not sure if that was sarcasm, but even if it isn't, it's still true for many people.


I'm trying to see how this would sound sarcastic. Not sure, perhaps the wording is confusing.

At first, I found it a bit strange to see some people asking about the servers, then others replying "How dare you care about a game at a time like this!" followed by still others saying how Japan is not the world's only problem - "What about Africa?".

It seems no matter what you say, someone can find a way to attack you for it. Some people here were exressing genuine concern for Japan. You think they don't know about the problems facing Africa? The fact is, what can you do about those problems? What have you done? Nothing - that's what. I can point out hypocrisy with the best of them.

I have to actively remember not to judge people for being judgemental. It's difficult! I do know that feeling morally superior is a dangerous game.




This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 19 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (19)