Forum Settings
       
1 2 3 Next »
This Forum is Read Only

Servers down for 1 weekFollow

#102 Mar 14 2011 at 4:46 PM Rating: Default
god bless them all.
#103 Mar 14 2011 at 4:58 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
SmashingtonWho wrote:
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
SmashingtonWho wrote:
It seems that part of being human is to enjoy perceived moral superiority.


I'm not sure if that was sarcasm, but even if it isn't, it's still true for many people.


I'm trying to see how this would sound sarcastic. Not sure, perhaps the wording is confusing.

At first, I found it a bit strange to see some people asking about the servers, then others replying "How dare you care about a game at a time like this!" followed by still others saying how Japan is not the world's only problem - "What about Africa?".

It seems no matter what you say, someone can find a way to attack you for it. Some people here were exressing genuine concern for Japan. You think they don't know about the problems facing Africa? The fact is, what can you do about those problems? What have you done? Nothing - that's what. I can point out hypocrisy with the best of them.

I have to actively remember not to judge people for being judgemental. It's difficult! I do know that feeling morally superior is a dangerous game.


Ah, I see now. I initially took it as a jab at all of the people who act like they're better than else, in some battle for "who cares about other people the most". I misunderstood what you meant.

BUT THAT DOESN'T MAKE YOU BETTER THAN ME!!!!

>.>
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#104 Mar 14 2011 at 5:06 PM Rating: Good
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
Ah, I see now. I initially took it as a jab at all of the people who act like they're better than [everyone] else, in some battle for "who cares about other people the most". I misunderstood what you meant.

BUT THAT DOESN'T MAKE YOU BETTER THAN ME!!!!

>.>


That's exactly what I meant! Now I'm thinking my clarification is more confusing than the orginal sentence.

The fact is, I don't think I'm better than anyone else, which makes me the best.

See?
#105 Mar 14 2011 at 5:14 PM Rating: Decent
*****
11,539 posts
SmashingtonWho wrote:
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
Ah, I see now. I initially took it as a jab at all of the people who act like they're better than [everyone] else, in some battle for "who cares about other people the most". I misunderstood what you meant.

BUT THAT DOESN'T MAKE YOU BETTER THAN ME!!!!

>.>


That's exactly what I meant! Now I'm thinking my clarification is more confusing than the orginal sentence.

The fact is, I don't think I'm better than anyone else, which makes me the best.

See?


What if I thought I was the best at not thinking I was better than other people because I was actually the best at thinking everyone else is better than me? Would that make me better than people who think they're better than people who aren't better than them?

Is that more confusing... or better?
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#106 Mar 14 2011 at 5:33 PM Rating: Good
**
660 posts
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
SmashingtonWho wrote:
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
Ah, I see now. I initially took it as a jab at all of the people who act like they're better than [everyone] else, in some battle for "who cares about other people the most". I misunderstood what you meant.

BUT THAT DOESN'T MAKE YOU BETTER THAN ME!!!!

>.>


That's exactly what I meant! Now I'm thinking my clarification is more confusing than the orginal sentence.

The fact is, I don't think I'm better than anyone else, which makes me the best.

See?


What if I thought I was the best at not thinking I was better than other people because I was actually the best at thinking everyone else is better than me? Would that make me better than people who think they're better than people who aren't better than them?

Is that more confusing... or better?


Magic 8 ball says, "Try again later".
____________________________


#107 Mar 14 2011 at 5:49 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
351 posts
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
What if I thought I was the best at not thinking I was better than other people because I was actually the best at thinking everyone else is better than me? Would that make me better than people who think they're better than people who aren't better than them?

Is that more confusing... or better?


It's not so much about who is better, but who is doing the right thing. When you do the "right thing," your reward center of your brain tickles you with a "Good job, buddy!" warm fuzzy. The problem is, not everyone's sense of "right thing" is the same. It can be reasoned with, however.

When you picture if it's more important to shut off servers because it helps a whole nation struggling for survival after a major earthquake where thousands have died and millions are homeless, or is it more important to keep them going so kids in privileged countries can keep mindlessly enjoying their video games in spite of the hardship it creates (because it's not like Japan has the monopoly on hardship), I think people would choose to do the "right thing" and support the decision that matches their values.

And when people don't all choose the same thing, you have a nice big argument like this one.
#108 Mar 14 2011 at 6:40 PM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
*
111 posts
ForceOfMeh wrote:
When you picture if it's more important to shut off servers because it helps a whole nation struggling for survival after a major earthquake where thousands have died and millions are homeless, or is it more important to keep them going so kids in privileged countries can keep mindlessly enjoying their video games in spite of the hardship it creates (because it's not like Japan has the monopoly on hardship), I think people would choose to do the "right thing" and support the decision that matches their values.

And when people don't all choose the same thing, you have a nice big argument like this one.


I think almost everyone here on the forums agree that human lives are, ofcourse, more important than entertainment. I think it's just that the wording of the posts or the lack of a lengthy "I know about the tsunami and the many dead people, and I pray that there is no further incident and that they can recover from it quickly." in every post before we get to the main topic. Heck, the main topic the the thread is "Servers down for 1 week". So we talk about the downed server. It has been CAUSED by the horrible tragedy, but the main topic is still about the servers are down.


SmashingtonWho wrote:
It seems that part of being human is to enjoy perceived moral superiority.



I think that summarizes some of our actions pretty well. Not that it's necessarily bad, but I think it can rub people the wrong way if one isn't directly affected by it.
#109 Mar 14 2011 at 7:03 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
626 posts
My comp is dead, I don't own a tv and my phone can only handle so much. Last I heard japan is no longer under tsunami warning, any other good or progressive news about island state as of today?

Side note, selfishness, reactions to current events, racism and totalitarian leaders in africa single handedly responsible for their own innocents lives being lost will always and forever exist.
My heart goes out to japan as a country and all of the innocents of the rest of the world especially and foremost to my very own towns people living on the streets with no food or shelter.
im glad to hear my country ( the USA) stepped in to help japan in the time of need even though we as a country can barely take care of ourselves sometimes.
I miss FFXIV and hope to see it back online as it also shows that the country is ( seemingly) stabalizing enough to support the worlds trivial fan boyism. However I hope SE takes it's time in taking care of personal matters before it does so, id force my employees to take time off even....

Edited, Mar 14th 2011 9:09pm by pixelpop
____________________________

#110 Mar 14 2011 at 7:29 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
351 posts
Enfid wrote:
SmashingtonWho wrote:
It seems that part of being human is to enjoy perceived moral superiority.


I think that summarizes some of our actions pretty well. Not that it's necessarily bad, but I think it can rub people the wrong way if one isn't directly affected by it.


I don't care if anyone feels morally superior to me. The joke's on them. I'm a piece of sh*t. It's like winning a game on easy mode.

Now, if they were only to try feeling morally superior to Mother Theresa. Well, then, they just might end up being a good person along the way.

Edited, Mar 14th 2011 9:29pm by ForceOfMeh
#111 Mar 14 2011 at 7:30 PM Rating: Good
*****
16,959 posts
pixelpop wrote:
My comp is dead, I don't own a tv and my phone can only handle so much. Last I heard japan is no longer under tsunami warning, any other good or progressive news about island state as of today?
I got my links and information from sxephil:

Quote:
In what seems like a linked event to the recent massive earthquake off the coast of Japan, the Japanese Shinmoedake volcano erupted on the Kyushu island this Sunday.

The volcano’s eruption has not been officially linked to the earthquake that caused the tsunami that has wrecked the coast of Japan’s eastern coast.


Quote:
SOMA, Japan -- The second hydrogen explosion in three days rocked a Japanese nuclear plant Monday, sending a massive cloud of smoke into the air and injuring 11 workers. The blast was felt 25 miles (40 kilometers) away, but the plant's operator said the radiation levels at the affected unit were still within legal limits.


Update on the previous link:
Quote:
It was not immediately clear if the blast was caused by the buildup of hydrogen, as occurred at the two other reactors at Daiichi — one on Saturday and the most recent one on Monday, when there was also a large explosion at the No. 3 reactor. Some early reports in the Japanese press suggested the latest explosion amounted to a different and more critical problem than the previous two.


Quote:
Days after a tsunami slammed Japan’s northeastern coast, a tide of bodies washed ashore Monday as the nation continues to collect its dead following the catastrophic events Friday.

A Japanese police officer estimated some 1,000 bodies were found scattered along the shoreline in Miyagi prefecture. The official death toll now sits at 2,800 but the grim tally is expected to increase dramatically. Approximately 10,000 people died in Miyagi prefecture alone, according to the provincial police chief.


Edited, Mar 14th 2011 7:36pm by Kirby
____________________________
MyAnimeList FFXIV Krystal Spoonless
#112 Mar 14 2011 at 7:34 PM Rating: Good
Enfid wrote:
Not that it's necessarily bad...


Exactly.

This is completely relevant to this topic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technology_in_The_Hitchhiker's_Guide_to_the_Galaxy

Scroll down to the:
Point of View Gun
#113 Mar 14 2011 at 7:42 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
176 posts
SmashingtonWho wrote:

Are the words DON'T PANIC, Infinite Improbability Drive, Towel, and Eccentrica Gallumbits - the Triple Breasted W**** of Eroticon Six also relevant? I'm so hip I have trouble seeing over my pelvis! I'm so cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month!


Not to dimish the extent of the tragedy but doesn't Japan operate off two seperate power grids?
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cb/Power_Grid_of_Japan.PNG

If you were planning for power outages, wouldn't it have been a good idea to situate half the servers on the west grid, instead of having them all on the east grid?

Edited, Mar 14th 2011 9:49pm by Riniaru
____________________________

TERA looks tasty...
#114 Mar 14 2011 at 7:58 PM Rating: Good
*
94 posts
Not to play devils advocate but we all should start coming to grips with the reality that the servers are most likely going to be down far longer than 1 week. Everyday the power infrastructure there is under more and more scrutinization and even the Shibuya district is shutting off billboards and advertisements.

The Japanese people thrive in these situations so I have little doubt it will be back and better than ever as fast as humanly possible(sometimes almost alien-like in Japans case).

Godspeed and blessings to the people of Japan
#115 Mar 15 2011 at 2:04 PM Rating: Decent
*
75 posts
Not to be a doomer, but I highly doubt the servers will be back up after only one week. The ongoing nuclear calamity has the potential to make large swaths of land uninhabitable for over 600 years. Please consider donating to any reliable relief organization. Even 5 dollars or less can help. Japan may be one of the most prosperous and technologically advanced societies on earth, but they desperately need our help.

WATCH OUT FOR SCAM CHARITIES

http://www.bankrate.com/financing/banking/to-help-japan-vet-charity-first/

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/business/fl-tsunami-charities-20110315,0,2378969.story

RELIABLE CHARITIES

World Vision has a fairly good track record, but to their detriment they are a Christian organization. Regardless, they are efficient with low overhead costs and to my knowledge they do not spend much money if any at all on proselytizing, so they are probably a safe bet. Let me know if you find any others.

http://www.worldvision.jp/english/



Edited, Mar 15th 2011 4:05pm by HardHotThrobbingAetherite
#116 Mar 15 2011 at 2:58 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
*
56 posts
HardHotThrobbingAetherite wrote:
Not to be a doomer, but I highly doubt the servers will be back up after only one week. The ongoing nuclear calamity has the potential to make large swaths of land uninhabitable for over 600 years. Please consider donating to any reliable relief organization. Even 5 dollars or less can help. Japan may be one of the most prosperous and technologically advanced societies on earth, but they desperately need our help.


I am thinking the same. I think we will see at least a month of downtime if not more - and this is very realistic atm (and even optimistic). At this moment they cannot say when they have normal power levels again and as long this situation is in place the servers will be down. One week was a very very optimistic guess from SE...
For me this was absolutley the right thing to do - no matter what, life is more important than any MMO could ever be!

On the other hand, japan tends to bring up their facilitys very fast after earthquakes and other catastrophes, even in this tremendous desaster they recover faster than every other nation would. I am sure that they would get any help they need if they ask - until now they havent... which makes me believe that they are already have it under control as far this is possible at this very moment.

The only thing left that really worries them and all of us are those reactors in unstable conditions >< Lets pray that these reactors will calm down soon... i really really dont want to see something similar to Tschernobyl. But the news arent that good :(
____________________________
http://www.ffxiah.com/player/Asura/Sesono
#117 Mar 15 2011 at 3:40 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
351 posts
HardHotThrobbingAetherite wrote:
Not to be a doomer, but I highly doubt the servers will be back up after only one week. The ongoing nuclear calamity has the potential to make large swaths of land uninhabitable for over 600 years.


Actually, I believe the worst case would be if Plutonium-239 were released as it was at Chernobyl. That has a half-life of 24,000 years so it's likely those areas littered with it would be permanently uninhabitable. I don't believe the situation is anywhere near that dangerous, however.
#118 Mar 15 2011 at 6:42 PM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
*
111 posts
ForceOfMeh wrote:
HardHotThrobbingAetherite wrote:
Not to be a doomer, but I highly doubt the servers will be back up after only one week. The ongoing nuclear calamity has the potential to make large swaths of land uninhabitable for over 600 years.


Actually, I believe the worst case would be if Plutonium-239 were released as it was at Chernobyl. That has a half-life of 24,000 years so it's likely those areas littered with it would be permanently uninhabitable. I don't believe the situation is anywhere near that dangerous, however.



It's been confirmed by officials and experts over the world that it is nowhere near Chernobyl. The containment units are much safer, people have already been evacuated as the problem is developing, not AFTER a meltdown, and the personnel at the plant are fully aware of the danger and consequences, unlike the workers in Chernobyl.

But yeah definitely the biggest problem right now is the nuclear power plant. It's a classic case of Murphy's law. I mean they have 1 main cooling system and 2 backups, and they ALL failed one after the other.

It's been a harrowing week so far. And then there's sensationalist news; Australia's 'Herald Sun' have the guts to have huge "MELTDOWN" in bold letter in today's front page. Scared the crap outta me. I swear, what some people will do to get people to buy stuff.

EDIT: Scam charities? Wow, what some human would do.

Enfid's faith in humanity decreased by 2

Edited, Mar 15th 2011 8:49pm by Enfid
#119 Mar 15 2011 at 6:46 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
*
176 posts
ForceOfMeh wrote:
Actually, I believe the worst case would be if Plutonium-239 were released as it was at Chernobyl. That has a half-life of 24,000 years so it's likely those areas littered with it would be permanently uninhabitable. I don't believe the situation is anywhere near that dangerous, however.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/7d73a59a-4f2a-11e0-9038-00144feab49a.html?ftcamp=rss#axzz1GidD0aMl
TEPCO have a bad record and are known for falsifying data, it probably is a lot worse than they're letting on.

Also, my friend says aircraft carriers arrived from the US and instead of helping with the relief effort are too busy evacuating their own people and running away.
____________________________

TERA looks tasty...
#120 Mar 15 2011 at 6:53 PM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
*
111 posts
Riniaru wrote:
Also, my friend says aircraft carriers arrived from the US and instead of helping with the relief effort are too busy evacuating their own people and running away.


As I said, human help their kinds first, then MAYBE they'll help other people afterwards. It's kinda common sense. I bet they don't want to hang around if/when a meltdown happens.
#121 Mar 15 2011 at 7:02 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*
235 posts
Enfid wrote:
ForceOfMeh wrote:
When you picture if it's more important to shut off servers because it helps a whole nation struggling for survival after a major earthquake where thousands have died and millions are homeless, or is it more important to keep them going so kids in privileged countries can keep mindlessly enjoying their video games in spite of the hardship it creates (because it's not like Japan has the monopoly on hardship), I think people would choose to do the "right thing" and support the decision that matches their values.

And when people don't all choose the same thing, you have a nice big argument like this one.


I think almost everyone here on the forums agree that human lives are, ofcourse, more important than entertainment. I think it's just that the wording of the posts or the lack of a lengthy "I know about the tsunami and the many dead people, and I pray that there is no further incident and that they can recover from it quickly." in every post before we get to the main topic. Heck, the main topic the the thread is "Servers down for 1 week". So we talk about the downed server. It has been CAUSED by the horrible tragedy, but the main topic is still about the servers are down.


SmashingtonWho wrote:
It seems that part of being human is to enjoy perceived moral superiority.



I think that summarizes some of our actions pretty well. Not that it's necessarily bad, but I think it can rub people the wrong way if one isn't directly affected by it.


I agree with your post and thought it was kind of "going to far" for some people to jump down other peoples throat and say that some people don't care/ don't know about what happened in Japan.

I think we all care and are very aware of what happened in Japan. But you know what? It doesn't make me a selfish A-hole American because I would like to be playing FFXIV right now. I just happen to be a gamer who really likes FFXIV, nothing wrong with that. Just because I would like to be playing right now doesn't mean that I am inconsiderate.
____________________________


#122 Mar 15 2011 at 9:27 PM Rating: Decent
*
200 posts
they are not running away the ships instruments picked up a spike in nuclear radiation so the fleet moved. aircraft carrier's are powered by nuclear generators as such they are required to have sensors onboard.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3396817

link will educate the uneducated, and keep you up to date.
____________________________


#123 Mar 16 2011 at 2:27 AM Rating: Good
2 posts
Preemptive and apparently obligatory: I feel really bad for the people of Japan. (and I really do)

Now, I don't really think people should be getting blasted for posting opinions about when the servers will be back up in a "servers down for 1 week" thread. Where is the line drawn? It's ok to troll the "Servers down for 1 week" thread, but not ok to post in it?

Clarifications:

1. The one damaged power plant should not cause long term shortage of power. Yes, it's a hit, but Japan gets 30% of their power from 53 different nuclear reactors.

2. They are experiencing rolling 3 hour blackouts, but they are mainly outside the business districts. As far as I can tell, outside of SE's district.

3. The whole of Japan is not underwater. A lot of the coast was damaged however, and infrastructure in those areas will likely be down for a long time.

That being said, I'll go out on a limb and call it 1-2 weeks. Yes, the game will survive. There is too much money and time invested in it for them to abandon it now. And each day that passes, I am a little more sad that I don't get to be eaten by a lone Peist standing 3 feet outside of Ul'dah.

Anticipation with SE.
Prayers with Japan.

#124 Mar 16 2011 at 5:23 PM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
*
111 posts
FelixValmont wrote:
they are not running away the ships instruments picked up a spike in nuclear radiation so the fleet moved. aircraft carrier's are powered by nuclear generators as such they are required to have sensors onboard.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3396817

link will educate the uneducated, and keep you up to date.



*slaps own forehead* Oh yeah, I always forget that aircraft carriers run on nuclear powered engines.
#125 Mar 16 2011 at 6:02 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
Enfid wrote:
FelixValmont wrote:
they are not running away the ships instruments picked up a spike in nuclear radiation so the fleet moved. aircraft carrier's are powered by nuclear generators as such they are required to have sensors onboard.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3396817

link will educate the uneducated, and keep you up to date.



*slaps own forehead* Oh yeah, I always forget that aircraft carriers run on nuclear powered engines.


Wait.... what?
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#126 Mar 16 2011 at 8:32 PM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
*
111 posts
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
Enfid wrote:
FelixValmont wrote:
they are not running away the ships instruments picked up a spike in nuclear radiation so the fleet moved. aircraft carrier's are powered by nuclear generators as such they are required to have sensors onboard.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3396817

link will educate the uneducated, and keep you up to date.



*slaps own forehead* Oh yeah, I always forget that aircraft carriers run on nuclear powered engines.


Wait.... what?


I remembered on Discovery Channel or something when they talked about US aircraft carriers, and they showed us parts of the nuclear reactor and a diagram of it on the ship. All larger aircraft carriers are powered by nuclear reactors I believe.

And you don't want that too close to nuclear power plants in unstable conditions.
#127 Mar 16 2011 at 9:38 PM Rating: Decent
*
75 posts
eyekandy wrote:
2. They are experiencing rolling 3 hour blackouts, but they are mainly outside the business districts. As far as I can tell, outside of SE's district.


Just to qualify this for accuracy's sake, SE is headquartered in Tokyo, according to Naoki Yoshida's Letter from the Producer VI (3/16/2011). The French and German localization teams have flown back to their respective countries, and from what I can tell, the Japanese government is instructing some people to leave Tokyo if they can.

Helicopters are dropping water on nuclear reactors in a desperate effort to quell radioactive leaks. The UN is reporting that a radioactive plume will hit Southern California by Friday. Top US officials claim the situation is deteriorating rapidly and that there will be "no happy ending." Could these claims and reports be incorrect? Absolutely. But if I'm a betting man, and I am, there's no way in **** I'd wager that the servers will be up within 2 weeks.

Please consider making a financial donation to charities in Japan (refer to my previous post and be wary of scams). A local benefit hosted by a group of lazy, booze-addled rockers was able to raise $1300 for World Vision JP. Every little bit helps, and thinking that doing little isn't good enough and therefore choosing to do nothing is a mistake.

Edited, Mar 16th 2011 11:38pm by HardHotThrobbingAetherite
1 2 3 Next »
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 18 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (18)