Forum Settings
       
This thread is locked

An attribute that every leader has...Follow

#1 Mar 16 2011 at 5:34 AM Rating: Sub-Default
*
186 posts
I noticed after scanning the web for certain information about "guild leadership" or "MMORPG leadership", I am not the only one who composes written essays about such a subject. In fact, there is actually a BOOK dedicated to... MMORPG leadership (look up Guild Leader's Handbook.).

Although I really have yet to venture out on any of those articles and texts, I would like to make one thing clear to everyone...

Every leader... commands respect.

This applies to everything, including personal relationships, business, politics, and online.

A leader does not demand leadership, but commands it.

Now you may be wondering, "Okay, I now know that. As a matter of fact, it's common sense... But how does one COMMAND respect?"

It is a good question because telling someone things like "command respect", "be confident", or "love yourself" can be very abstract and vague. Is it really possible to put something so intellectualized and theorized to practical use? The answer is yes. We can look at it objectively and actually see the outward manifestations of these abstract concepts. The words are merely classifications that serve to help people get an easier grasp on things (because you can't really explain or express anything specific without the use of words.).



Several weeks ago, I was doing regional levequests at the rank 30 aetheric nodes of La Noscea. My friend, whom I will label as "John" to preserve his anonimity, was with us. He was a rank 35 archer and I was rank 30 gladiator. And of course, being who I am, I was the party leader. Yes, I was the one who had the power to kick out members and disband the group. Being a dictator has never been a problem for me. In fact, many people in the Besaid server loathed me for my bossiness. My ego always get in the way. I have terrorized the forums of eorzeapedia to the point where certain players in the game itself started ignoring me.

I wasn't being a good leader... I was a 12 year-old monarchist. I demanded respect, and didn't know how to command it.

John new alot about the game. After all, he was a rank 35 archer. He has alot more experience than I am and certainly knows La Noscea better than I do. While we were doing the typical levequest-runs and plannings, I noticed something a little odd... They were listening to him... including me. No one objected, everyone obeyed, and we were all happy. He had a certain presence with his avatar that made people abide by him. And God forbid he even knew about it.

He commanded respect. Every text in that chat box from him was perfectly written to convey boldness and a sheer lack of inhibitions. He never requested, only commanded, and everyone listened.

I, on the other hand... was trying to do the same thing before, but the results can sometimes be different. It really bugged me why me and him were practically doing the same type of text formats, and yet he had the people's attentions and I don't...

And then it hit me.

Ladies and gentlemen, read carefully as I show you the blueprint that separates the difference between commanding respect and demanding respect.



Every leader who gives out a command will get either of these two responses:

-The members gladly obey.

-The members disobey.

Every GOOD leader who receives the second response will:

-LEAVE IT.



A leader does not waste his/her time punishing, bugging, or nagging members to do what he wants. If things doesn't go his/her way, he knows exactly how to accept the defeat and gracefully lends his/her position to the people under his/her command.

If a leader does punish his/her members, he/she will be considered tyrranical. If a leader bugs his/her members, he/she will be considered desperate. If a leader nags his/her members, he/she will be considered bossy.

I was nagging my members. I was bossy. That is where I went wrong...



I hope you learn from my mistakes. Please pray for japan and hope that casualties will be no more. Take care.

Edited, Mar 19th 2011 10:12pm by Osarion Lock Thread: OT
____________________________
Watch who you are calling Douchebags, jerk. BANNED
#2 Mar 16 2011 at 5:47 AM Rating: Excellent
*
200 posts
you should read my book. How to be an asshat: Guild Leader Edition. Now with more colored pictures and in depth illustrations!

don't forget to check out my new book, Trolling For trolls which explains in great detail how to bait them hook them and keepem coming back for more.

Edited, Mar 16th 2011 7:50am by FelixValmont
____________________________


#3 Mar 16 2011 at 9:51 AM Rating: Excellent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
Now I don't even have to buy your book to know how worthless it is!
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#4 Mar 16 2011 at 10:10 AM Rating: Excellent
*
236 posts
Viktorious is very clearly a troll. That is all.
____________________________

#5 Mar 16 2011 at 11:53 AM Rating: Excellent
The sheer amount of time you spend on these thread boggles my mind.

I can't help but click on them though. Reading your threads make me feel like a better person.
#6 Mar 16 2011 at 11:59 AM Rating: Good
MCraine wrote:
Viktorious is very clearly a troll. That is all.


...or he just suffers from delusions of grandeur? ...Napoleon complex?
____________________________

I started this character at the CE launch, and played for about 2 months. Haven't touched it since.
#7 Mar 17 2011 at 1:26 AM Rating: Excellent
*
213 posts
Is this the same guy that made the thread about ethical leeching? I don't want to dig though threads to find out. If so, this guy is entertaining.

Edited, Mar 17th 2011 3:43am by BadJoRed
____________________________


#8 Mar 17 2011 at 1:37 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
351 posts
FelixValmont wrote:
you should read my book. How to be an asshat: Guild Leader Edition. Now with more colored pictures and in depth illustrations!

don't forget to check out my new book, Trolling For trolls which explains in great detail how to bait them hook them and keepem coming back for more.

Edited, Mar 16th 2011 7:50am by FelixValmont


You, sir, are a formidable opponent.
#9 Mar 17 2011 at 12:01 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
638 posts
Quote:
I was a 12 year-old monarchist.


BadJoRed wrote:
Is this the same guy that made the thread about ethical leeching? I don't want to dig though threads to find out. If so, this guy is entertaining.

Edited, Mar 17th 2011 3:43am by BadJoRed


I'm noticing a pattern.

Edited, Mar 17th 2011 2:03pm by Kitprower
____________________________


#10 Mar 17 2011 at 12:50 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
24 posts
It seems he moves around to different sites when one forum gets bored of him. Same calling card of posting troll bait and things that sound like has a Napoleon complex.

http://www.eorzeapedia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13414
http://www.eorzeapedia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13251
#11 Mar 17 2011 at 1:04 PM Rating: Good
What's kind of sad is I don't think this person is intentionally trolling, or baiting. I think, in his mind, he's coming to the table with revolutionary ideas and stellar writings. Either way, no sweat off my back.
____________________________

I started this character at the CE launch, and played for about 2 months. Haven't touched it since.
#12 Mar 17 2011 at 2:38 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
**
575 posts
The OP describing how he became "respected", is like a homeless person explaining how he amassed his wealth. A 30 year old virgin writing a book on how to get laid. Charlie Sheen explaining the best method to beat addiction. An obese person giving out dieting techniques. Me teaching others how to avoid writing sentence fragments.
#13 Mar 17 2011 at 2:44 PM Rating: Good
Vawn43 wrote:
Me teaching others how to avoid writing sentence fragments.


lol
#14 Mar 17 2011 at 3:49 PM Rating: Good
ViKtoricus wrote:
I noticed after scanning the web for certain information about "guild leadership" or "MMORPG leadership", I am not the only one who composes written essays about such a subject. In fact, there is actually a BOOK dedicated to... MMORPG leadership (look up Guild Leader's Handbook.).

Although I really have yet to venture out on any of those articles and texts, I would like to make one thing clear to everyone...

Every leader... commands respect.

This applies to everything, including personal relationships, business, politics, and online.

A leader does not demand leadership, but commands it.

Now you may be wondering, "Okay, I now know that. As a matter of fact, it's common sense... But how does one COMMAND respect?"

It is a good question because telling someone things like "command respect", "be confident", or "love yourself" can be very abstract and vague. Is it really possible to put something so intellectualized and theorized to practical use? The answer is yes. We can look at it objectively and actually see the outward manifestations of these abstract concepts. The words are merely classifications that serve to help people get an easier grasp on things (because you can't really explain or express anything specific without the use of words.).



Several weeks ago, I was doing regional levequests at the rank 30 aetheric nodes of La Noscea. My friend, whom I will label as "John" to preserve his anonimity, was with us. He was a rank 35 archer and I was rank 30 gladiator. And of course, being who I am, I was the party leader. Yes, I was the one who had the power to kick out members and disband the group. Being a dictator has never been a problem for me. In fact, many people in the Besaid server loathed me for my bossiness. My ego always get in the way. I have terrorized the forums of eorzeapedia to the point where certain players in the game itself started ignoring me.

I wasn't being a good leader... I was a 12 year-old monarchist. I demanded respect, and didn't know how to command it.

John new alot about the game. After all, he was a rank 35 archer. He has alot more experience than I am and certainly knows La Noscea better than I do. While we were doing the typical levequest-runs and plannings, I noticed something a little odd... They were listening to him... including me. No one objected, everyone obeyed, and we were all happy. He had a certain presence with his avatar that made people abide by him. And God forbid he even knew about it.

He commanded respect. Every text in that chat box from him was perfectly written to convey boldness and a sheer lack of inhibitions. He never requested, only commanded, and everyone listened.

I, on the other hand... was trying to do the same thing before, but the results can sometimes be different. It really bugged me why me and him were practically doing the same type of text formats, and yet he had the people's attentions and I don't...

And then it hit me.

Ladies and gentlemen, read carefully as I show you the blueprint that separates the difference between commanding respect and demanding respect.



Every leader who gives out a command will get either of these two responses:

-The members gladly obey.

-The members disobey.

Every GOOD leader who receives the second response will:

-LEAVE IT.



A leader does not waste his/her time punishing, bugging, or nagging members to do what he wants. If things doesn't go his/her way, he knows exactly how to accept the defeat and gracefully lends his/her position to the people under his/her command.

If a leader does punish his/her members, he/she will be considered tyrranical. If a leader bugs his/her members, he/she will be considered desperate. If a leader nags his/her members, he/she will be considered bossy.

I was nagging my members. I was bossy. That is where I went wrong...



I hope you learn from my mistakes. Please pray for japan and hope that casualties will be no more. Take care.
Screenshot


That is all.
____________________________
Edited, Mar 21st 2011 2:14pm by Darqflame Lock Thread: Because Lubriderm is silly... ~ de geso

Almalieque wrote:
I know what a glory hole is, but I wasn't sure what the business part was in reference to.

My Anime List
#15 Mar 17 2011 at 8:23 PM Rating: Good
*
213 posts
Fanatic03 wrote:
It seems he moves around to different sites when one forum gets bored of him. Same calling card of posting troll bait and things that sound like has a Napoleon complex.

http://www.eorzeapedia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13414
http://www.eorzeapedia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13251


lawl, I like this guy. Can't wait for the new topic.
____________________________


#16 Mar 18 2011 at 3:47 PM Rating: Good
*
151 posts
The admins need to put a sticky up just for his posting that way we can be free from it. Allow him to be able to only post there and let no one view it :)
Perfect solution here
____________________________


#17 Mar 19 2011 at 10:19 AM Rating: Good
****
7,819 posts
ViKtoricus wrote:
I noticed after scanning the web for certain information about "guild leadership" or "MMORPG leadership", I am not the only one who composes written essays about such a subject. In fact, there is actually a BOOK dedicated to... MMORPG leadership (look up Guild Leader's Handbook.).
Although I really have yet to venture out on any of those articles and texts, I would like to make one thing clear to everyone...
Every leader... commands respect.
This applies to everything, including personal relationships, business, politics, and online.

A leader does not demand leadership, but commands it.

Now you may be wondering, "Okay, I now know that. As a matter of fact, it's common sense... But how does one COMMAND respect?"


Being a leader is more than Demanding or Commanding.
A good leader has skills that others look for. Respect is "Earned" from the deeds and actions of someone.
You just don't get a linkahell and then people just flock to you.



Edited, Mar 19th 2011 7:11pm by Tailmon
____________________________
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v619/ImGatomon/Request.jpg

. “Power even if it is raw uncontrolled potential is just as dangerous as a trained assassin. It is unpredictable and deadly if your are not prepared." ~Gatomon From the story A Fox Among Wolves.
#18 Mar 19 2011 at 12:39 PM Rating: Decent
Tailmon wrote:

Respect is "Earned" from the deads and actions of someone.


Smiley: laugh



Edited, Mar 19th 2011 2:40pm by mattkujata
#19 Mar 19 2011 at 12:52 PM Rating: Default
*
58 posts
I think I hate him, but I'm not sure.
____________________________
name: Nilbog
server: Lakshmi
Race: Mithra
Jobs: 75 nin, 75 thf, 75 war

#20 Mar 19 2011 at 1:01 PM Rating: Decent
Nilbog wrote:
I think I hate him, but I'm not sure.


Who? Me or the OP?
#21 Mar 19 2011 at 1:42 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,235 posts
I already wrote a book about your story OP, it's titled:
"My first time as party leader in the first MMO I ever played."
For a similar story read my follow-up title:
"That day in Kindergarten when I learned it wasn't cool to take my ball and go home."

Other helpful ones include:
"Party leader is a colored dot, not a position of power."
"You CAN run out of places you're welcome on the internet."
"Defaulting to sub-default in 2 easy steps!"
____________________________


"Don't take it personally man, white knights would eat a can of **** if the label said SE on it. If anyone dared mention that it was not a good product, they'd just argue if someone can't appreciate the subtle nuances in the ****, they should just go back to eating lolrealfood, cuz the devs prolly know more about canning food than they do."
#22 Mar 19 2011 at 3:55 PM Rating: Default
*
186 posts
Tailmon wrote:
ViKtoricus wrote:
I noticed after scanning the web for certain information about "guild leadership" or "MMORPG leadership", I am not the only one who composes written essays about such a subject. In fact, there is actually a BOOK dedicated to... MMORPG leadership (look up Guild Leader's Handbook.).
Although I really have yet to venture out on any of those articles and texts, I would like to make one thing clear to everyone...
Every leader... commands respect.
This applies to everything, including personal relationships, business, politics, and online.

A leader does not demand leadership, but commands it.

Now you may be wondering, "Okay, I now know that. As a matter of fact, it's common sense... But how does one COMMAND respect?"


Being a leader is more than Demanding or Commanding.
A good leader has skills that others look for. Respect is "Earned" from the deads and actions of someone.
You just don't get a linkahell and then people just flock to you.

Edited, Mar 19th 2011 12:21pm by Tailmon




I don't see your point.

You can tell who the leader of any group is (online or in real life) by simply observing the one person whom everyone is listening to and following. Sometimes one is a leader, sometimes one is not.

There were many cases where I had to surrender my position to someone because I know for a fact that the certain person knows more about the game than I do, and would provide better guidance for the whole group. That, my friend, is where ethical leeching comes into place. I will write an article detailing the relationships of leeches and masters in a symbiotic world.
____________________________
Watch who you are calling Douchebags, jerk. BANNED
#23 Mar 19 2011 at 4:12 PM Rating: Good
ViKtoricus wrote:
I will write an article detailing the relationships of leeches and masters in a symbiotic world.


Please, no.

Edited, Mar 19th 2011 6:13pm by mattkujata
#24 Mar 19 2011 at 4:22 PM Rating: Excellent
*
93 posts
mattkujata wrote:
ViKtoricus wrote:
I will write an article detailing the relationships of leeches and masters in a symbiotic world.


Please, no.


^ This.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
Dread Lörd Kaolian wrote:
As a forum admin, you... see things. Things that you can never unseen.

I can only apologize so many times for that.
#25 Mar 19 2011 at 4:26 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
351 posts
ViKtoricus wrote:
I don't see your point.

You can tell who the leader of any group is (online or in real life) by simply observing the one person whom everyone is listening to and following. Sometimes one is a leader, sometimes one is not.

There were many cases where I had to surrender my position to someone because I know for a fact that the certain person knows more about the game than I do, and would provide better guidance for the whole group. That, my friend, is where ethical leeching comes into place. I will write an article detailing the relationships of leeches and masters in a symbiotic world.


You should write a book on farming rate-downs.

No one just wakes up leader of a linkshell. And the leader isn't always the most knowledgeable, or the most charismatic, either.

There are simple, intuitive things. First you have to take initiative. If you can't take charge, then why bother putting yourself in that role? Schedule events, have a sensible plan in advance (and be prepared to change it anyway), show up earlier than everyone else, and stay on top of what needs to be done and who is owed what.

Second, you have be fair and reasonable with people. If your group doesn't believe that doing the right will be rewarded and doing the wrong thing will be punished, there will be no respect for authority. On the other hand, if you rule with an iron fist, your group isn't going to have a lot fun, either, so you can't take yourself too seriously, and you have to grant a little leeway with everyone else now and then, too.

And finally, you have to be there. A linkshell with no leaders ever around dies out pretty quick. I'm not saying you can't have a life or anything, but don't neglect your shell for too long or there won't be anyone there when you get back.

That's my opinion on it. Barbecue me if you don't like it. :P
#26 Mar 19 2011 at 5:10 PM Rating: Good
**
266 posts
Fanatic03 wrote:
It seems he moves around to different sites when one forum gets bored of him. Same calling card of posting troll bait and things that sound like has a Napoleon complex.

http://www.eorzeapedia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13414
http://www.eorzeapedia.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13251

Good find ZAM investigator... He must like ZAM judging by his post count XD
#27 Mar 19 2011 at 5:25 PM Rating: Good
****
7,819 posts
ViKtoricus wrote:
Tailmon wrote:
ViKtoricus wrote:
I noticed after scanning the web for certain information about "guild leadership" or "MMORPG leadership", I am not the only one who composes written essays about such a subject. In fact, there is actually a BOOK dedicated to... MMORPG leadership (look up Guild Leader's Handbook.).
Although I really have yet to venture out on any of those articles and texts, I would like to make one thing clear to everyone...
Every leader... commands respect.
This applies to everything, including personal relationships, business, politics, and online.

A leader does not demand leadership, but commands it.

Now you may be wondering, "Okay, I now know that. As a matter of fact, it's common sense... But how does one COMMAND respect?"


Being a leader is more than Demanding or Commanding.
A good leader has skills that others look for. Respect is "Earned" from the deeds and actions of someone.
You just don't get a linkahell and then people just flock to you.





I don't see your point.

You can tell who the leader of any group is (online or in real life) by simply observing the one person whom everyone is listening to and following. Sometimes one is a leader, sometimes one is not.

There were many cases where I had to surrender my position to someone because I know for a fact that the certain person knows more about the game than I do, and would provide better guidance for the whole group. That, my friend, is where ethical leeching comes into place. I will write an article detailing the relationships of leeches and masters in a symbiotic world.


Sorry, You will never see anyone else's point. But you will never make a leader at anything. Not only are you to blind to see the forest for the trees. But your a Troll with a mission. I figure you surrender your position because you have no backbone to begin with! I've run several shells and have been a manager in RL. I've never had to command or demand respect from people. I earned it. Skills like listening, sympathizing, analyzing, summarizing, respecting and helping others goes a long way to becoming a good leader.
____________________________
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v619/ImGatomon/Request.jpg

. “Power even if it is raw uncontrolled potential is just as dangerous as a trained assassin. It is unpredictable and deadly if your are not prepared." ~Gatomon From the story A Fox Among Wolves.
#28 Mar 19 2011 at 5:42 PM Rating: Decent
Wintersage wrote:
mattkujata wrote:
ViKtoricus wrote:
I will write an article detailing the relationships of leeches and masters in a symbiotic world.


Please, no.


^ This.


Smiley: laugh

For what you write, you still cannot take a hint....
____________________________


http://theforsakenlink.com

5040 X 1050 with Matrox Triple Head 2 Go
480 in SLI
I-7 950 OC 3.68 Ghz, 12 GB DDR3 1600
1000w PSU
#29 Mar 19 2011 at 7:54 PM Rating: Default
*
58 posts
mattkujata wrote:
Nilbog wrote:
I think I hate him, but I'm not sure.


Who? Me or the OP?



The OP :)
____________________________
name: Nilbog
server: Lakshmi
Race: Mithra
Jobs: 75 nin, 75 thf, 75 war

#30 Mar 19 2011 at 10:01 PM Rating: Good
***
3,530 posts
mattkujata wrote:
[quote=ViKtoricus] I will write an article detailing the relationships of leeches and masters in a symbiotic world.


You are a fascinating social analyst and an insightful philosopher of our disjointed digital times; I look forward to buying your books when they are finally released to the public.
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#31ViKtoricus, Posted: Mar 19 2011 at 10:58 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Indeed I am. Don't forget about my website too, which I have yet to resume constructing. It will be professionally made and I will hire website developers to help me with all the HTML coding. That stuff is not for me.
#32 Mar 19 2011 at 11:08 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
844 posts
ViKtoricus wrote:

Indeed I am. Don't forget about my website too, which I have yet to resume constructing. It will be professionally made and I will hire website developers to help me with all the HTML coding. That stuff is not for me.


http://curbjaw.com/images/Forum/STFU/drink_your_bleach.jpg

Edited, Mar 20th 2011 12:08am by Ilean
____________________________
See your face upon the clear water. How dirty! Come! Wash your face!
This thread is locked
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 21 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (21)