Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Square-Enix to donate 100 million yen to charityFollow

#1 Mar 16 2011 at 8:34 AM Rating: Good
***
3,416 posts
If I'm reading this right.

http://www.square-enix.com/jpn/news/2011/html/8ff6e79d3ba0894f50d2189db4fa0e67.html

(in JP)

It also says something about being able to buy items with Crysta for charity purposes.
____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#2 Mar 16 2011 at 8:43 AM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
Someone light the Elmer signal.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#3 Mar 16 2011 at 9:19 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
691 posts
/turns on spotlight with tarutaru/lalafell-shaped shadow in the middle.
#4 Mar 16 2011 at 10:00 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
***
2,045 posts
I applaud it if true but question the business sense of whoever is in charge, they are hardly in a position to throw large sums of money to good causes. They are failing at breakneck speed in their money making endeavours currently.
____________________________
BANNED
#5 Mar 16 2011 at 10:03 AM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
preludes wrote:
I applaud it if true but question the business sense of whoever is in charge, they are hardly in a position to throw large sums of money to good causes. They are failing at breakneck speed in their money making endeavours currently.


Tax breaks, man. Tax breaks.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#6 Mar 16 2011 at 10:23 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
*
57 posts
preludes wrote:
I applaud it if true but question the business sense of whoever is in charge, they are hardly in a position to throw large sums of money to good causes. They are failing at breakneck speed in their money making endeavours currently.


It's 100million yen brah. Whats that, 100 bucks american? I think they'll be okay.

Edited, Mar 16th 2011 12:24pm by jedipimp
#7 Mar 16 2011 at 10:25 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
691 posts
They're also not doing that bad aside from XIV being free to play. I'd say this will allow them to avoid most, if not all, of their taxes incurred from XIV box sales.
Current conversion rates place 100m yen at 1.2392 million U.S. dollars. Think of a yen as a penny, as they have yen coins in the same denominations as American coins.
100,000,000 yen = 1,239,200 USD (or there about) meaning a Japanese "penny" has more value than an American penny.

To be exact, 1 yen is 0.0124 USD, or 1.24 cents, meaning the yen has a comparative value of 124% it's amount in American currency at this time.

On a side note, I am laughing at being karma-bombed by the above poster for pointing out how wrong they were. Glad to see someone counter-rated it though. Karma system is real funny to watch to be honest.



Edited, Mar 16th 2011 11:47am by Uryuu
#8 Mar 16 2011 at 10:34 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
Hyanmen wrote:
If I'm reading this right.

http://www.square-enix.com/jpn/news/2011/html/8ff6e79d3ba0894f50d2189db4fa0e67.html

(in JP)

It also says something about being able to buy items with Crysta for charity purposes.


If you can buy items with Crysta for charity, I'd do it.
____________________________


"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
#9 Mar 16 2011 at 11:31 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
preludes wrote:
I applaud it if true but question the business sense of whoever is in charge, they are hardly in a position to throw large sums of money to good causes. They are failing at breakneck speed in their money making endeavours currently.


What makes you say this, word of mouth? well check out this link (Link: http://www.square-enix.com/eng/ir/finance/ps.html ), its their financial statements (in millions of yen) for the last 7 years. Note Net Income - this is their profit, their left-overs after everything is paid off. In 2010 alone that number is 9 billion yen - five years ago SE made 17 billion yen in profit. If we look at their balance sheet we see that their retained earnings are sitting at 76 billion yen 4 years ago or so (for whatever reason they weren't reported for the proceeding years) and their equity is huge, so they have a lot of cash reserves and they can make this type of donation and tbh this is really generous of them.

Edited, Mar 16th 2011 7:28pm by SolidMack
____________________________
MUTED
#10 Mar 16 2011 at 11:51 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
12,709 posts
Geez, SE can't even donate without people questioning their motives lol, such a sad state...Smiley: frown
____________________________

#11 Mar 16 2011 at 11:59 AM Rating: Good
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
Hey, at least the people that got suckered into buying crysta when FFXIV released can finally put it to use. Where's Olorinus or whoever that is?
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#12 Mar 16 2011 at 12:15 PM Rating: Good
***
1,606 posts
SolidMack wrote:
preludes wrote:
I applaud it if true but question the business sense of whoever is in charge, they are hardly in a position to throw large sums of money to good causes. They are failing at breakneck speed in their money making endeavours currently.


What makes you say this, word of mouth? well check out this link (Link: http://www.square-enix.com/eng/ir/finance/ps.html ), its their financial statements (in millions of yen) for the last 7 years. Note Net Income - this is their profit, their left-overs after everything is paid off. In 2010 alone that number is 9 million yen - five years ago SE made 17 million yen in profit. If we look at their balance sheet we see that their retained earnings are sitting at 76 million yen 4 years ago or so (for whatever reason they weren't reported for the proceeding years) and their equity is huge, so they have a lot of cash reserves and they can make this type of donation and tbh this is really generous of them.

Isn't that billions of yen? 17,076 million yen would be 17,076,000,000 wouldn't it? 17 million yen is like $250,000 which wouldn't be quite so good.
#13 Mar 16 2011 at 12:50 PM Rating: Decent
**
924 posts
I think math was wrong, no offense :)

(Millions of yen)
03/2004 = 10,993
03/2005 = 14,932
03/2006 = 17,076
03/2007 = 11,619
03/2008 = 9,196
03/2009 = 6,333
03/2010 = 9,509

So they made:
9,509*1,000,000 = 9,509,000,000

I hope I read it right on the page. That's alot of profit o.O
____________________________
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/story.html?story=18309
Quote:
Like Final Fantasy XI, the game specs will be extremely high for the time, but in about 5 years, an average machine can run it on max settings with little to no issues. Tanaka also expressed interest in making a benchmark program available.

FilthMcNasty wrote:
I endorse this thread.
#14 Mar 16 2011 at 1:04 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,536 posts
MrTalos wrote:
SolidMack wrote:
preludes wrote:
I applaud it if true but question the business sense of whoever is in charge, they are hardly in a position to throw large sums of money to good causes. They are failing at breakneck speed in their money making endeavours currently.


What makes you say this, word of mouth? well check out this link (Link: http://www.square-enix.com/eng/ir/finance/ps.html ), its their financial statements (in millions of yen) for the last 7 years. Note Net Income - this is their profit, their left-overs after everything is paid off. In 2010 alone that number is 9 million yen - five years ago SE made 17 million yen in profit. If we look at their balance sheet we see that their retained earnings are sitting at 76 million yen 4 years ago or so (for whatever reason they weren't reported for the proceeding years) and their equity is huge, so they have a lot of cash reserves and they can make this type of donation and tbh this is really generous of them.

Isn't that billions of yen? 17,076 million yen would be 17,076,000,000 wouldn't it? 17 million yen is like $250,000 which wouldn't be quite so good.


ha you're right my bad I was reading each number with a decimal instead of a comma so yea...even better shape than I thought.

Quote:
So they made:
9,509*1,000,000 = 9,509,000,000


So they made $118M American in the last fiscal year.

Edited, Mar 16th 2011 3:06pm by SolidMack
____________________________
MUTED
#15 Mar 16 2011 at 1:37 PM Rating: Good
**
401 posts
Glad to see SE join in on that. I remember reading an article stating other video game companies, Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Bandai and some others, donating to the cause. And agreed theo, i'm glad SE and other game companies with large financial pockets are pitching in, that money is direly needed.

Here was the link to that article I read:
http://wii.ign.com/articles/115/1155338p1.html
____________________________
FFXI: Server Ifrit
Licksthekitty - 68THF/41WHM/37NIN/30BLM/20COR Mithra Retired

WoW: Realm Darkspear
Claybosmash - 80 Orc Warrior Retired
Ipwnrice - 70 Undead Rogue Retired


#16 Mar 16 2011 at 3:21 PM Rating: Excellent
SolidMack wrote:
preludes wrote:
I applaud it if true but question the business sense of whoever is in charge, they are hardly in a position to throw large sums of money to good causes. They are failing at breakneck speed in their money making endeavours currently.


What makes you say this, word of mouth? well check out this link (Link: http://www.square-enix.com/eng/ir/finance/ps.html ), its their financial statements (in millions of yen) for the last 7 years. Note Net Income - this is their profit, their left-overs after everything is paid off. In 2010 alone that number is 9 million yen - five years ago SE made 17 million yen in profit. If we look at their balance sheet we see that their retained earnings are sitting at 76 million yen 4 years ago or so (for whatever reason they weren't reported for the proceeding years) and their equity is huge, so they have a lot of cash reserves and they can make this type of donation and tbh this is really generous of them.
Thanks for providing actual numbers, Mack. Personally, I'm rather tired of the armchair SE CFOs who keep prattling on about how SE is almost bankrupt from FFXIV.
____________________________
Edited, Mar 21st 2011 2:14pm by Darqflame Lock Thread: Because Lubriderm is silly... ~ de geso

Almalieque wrote:
I know what a glory hole is, but I wasn't sure what the business part was in reference to.

My Anime List
#17 Mar 16 2011 at 3:32 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
11,539 posts
Lubriderm the Fussy wrote:
SolidMack wrote:
preludes wrote:
I applaud it if true but question the business sense of whoever is in charge, they are hardly in a position to throw large sums of money to good causes. They are failing at breakneck speed in their money making endeavours currently.


What makes you say this, word of mouth? well check out this link (Link: http://www.square-enix.com/eng/ir/finance/ps.html ), its their financial statements (in millions of yen) for the last 7 years. Note Net Income - this is their profit, their left-overs after everything is paid off. In 2010 alone that number is 9 million yen - five years ago SE made 17 million yen in profit. If we look at their balance sheet we see that their retained earnings are sitting at 76 million yen 4 years ago or so (for whatever reason they weren't reported for the proceeding years) and their equity is huge, so they have a lot of cash reserves and they can make this type of donation and tbh this is really generous of them.
Thanks for providing actual numbers, Mack. Personally, I'm rather tired of the armchair SE CFOs who keep prattling on about how SE is almost bankrupt from FFXIV.


Hey now, my friend's boyfriend's cousin's dog's littermate's owner's college roommate's old coworker's uncle's schoolyard pal's father's ex-wife's youngest son's teacher's friend's cousin's wife went to a movie a few years back with a guy who knew some people who attended a college where this guy taught a class that had a student who shopped at this 7-11 where this customer's friend's brother had a facebook friend's coworker's old boss' husband's secretary knew someone who lived near some guy who once worked at Square Enix back in 1987. And HE said that Final Fantasy was going to be their last game because they were almost bankrupt.

Now if you can't trust that, then I think you're just a fool. I mean, that's like, indisputable proof right there.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#18 Mar 16 2011 at 3:59 PM Rating: Good
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
Lubriderm the Fussy wrote:
SolidMack wrote:
preludes wrote:
I applaud it if true but question the business sense of whoever is in charge, they are hardly in a position to throw large sums of money to good causes. They are failing at breakneck speed in their money making endeavours currently.


What makes you say this, word of mouth? well check out this link (Link: http://www.square-enix.com/eng/ir/finance/ps.html ), its their financial statements (in millions of yen) for the last 7 years. Note Net Income - this is their profit, their left-overs after everything is paid off. In 2010 alone that number is 9 million yen - five years ago SE made 17 million yen in profit. If we look at their balance sheet we see that their retained earnings are sitting at 76 million yen 4 years ago or so (for whatever reason they weren't reported for the proceeding years) and their equity is huge, so they have a lot of cash reserves and they can make this type of donation and tbh this is really generous of them.
Thanks for providing actual numbers, Mack. Personally, I'm rather tired of the armchair SE CFOs who keep prattling on about how SE is almost bankrupt from FFXIV.


Hey now, my friend's boyfriend's cousin's dog's littermate's owner's college roommate's old coworker's uncle's schoolyard pal's father's ex-wife's youngest son's teacher's friend's cousin's wife went to a movie a few years back with a guy who knew some people who attended a college where this guy taught a class that had a student who shopped at this 7-11 where this customer's friend's brother had a facebook friend's coworker's old boss' husband's secretary knew someone who lived near some guy who once worked at Square Enix back in 1987. And HE said that Final Fantasy was going to be their last game because they were almost bankrupt.

Now if you can't trust that, then I think you're just a fool. I mean, that's like, indisputable proof right there.
We all know that Yoshi is making the dev team hit the streets of Tokyo for the 1-2 weeks for the purpose of panhandling.
____________________________
Edited, Mar 21st 2011 2:14pm by Darqflame Lock Thread: Because Lubriderm is silly... ~ de geso

Almalieque wrote:
I know what a glory hole is, but I wasn't sure what the business part was in reference to.

My Anime List
#19 Mar 16 2011 at 4:12 PM Rating: Good
*****
11,539 posts
Lubriderm the Fussy wrote:
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:
Lubriderm the Fussy wrote:
SolidMack wrote:
preludes wrote:
I applaud it if true but question the business sense of whoever is in charge, they are hardly in a position to throw large sums of money to good causes. They are failing at breakneck speed in their money making endeavours currently.


What makes you say this, word of mouth? well check out this link (Link: http://www.square-enix.com/eng/ir/finance/ps.html ), its their financial statements (in millions of yen) for the last 7 years. Note Net Income - this is their profit, their left-overs after everything is paid off. In 2010 alone that number is 9 million yen - five years ago SE made 17 million yen in profit. If we look at their balance sheet we see that their retained earnings are sitting at 76 million yen 4 years ago or so (for whatever reason they weren't reported for the proceeding years) and their equity is huge, so they have a lot of cash reserves and they can make this type of donation and tbh this is really generous of them.
Thanks for providing actual numbers, Mack. Personally, I'm rather tired of the armchair SE CFOs who keep prattling on about how SE is almost bankrupt from FFXIV.


Hey now, my friend's boyfriend's cousin's dog's littermate's owner's college roommate's old coworker's uncle's schoolyard pal's father's ex-wife's youngest son's teacher's friend's cousin's wife went to a movie a few years back with a guy who knew some people who attended a college where this guy taught a class that had a student who shopped at this 7-11 where this customer's friend's brother had a facebook friend's coworker's old boss' husband's secretary knew someone who lived near some guy who once worked at Square Enix back in 1987. And HE said that Final Fantasy was going to be their last game because they were almost bankrupt.

Now if you can't trust that, then I think you're just a fool. I mean, that's like, indisputable proof right there.
We all know that Yoshi is making the dev team hit the streets of Tokyo for the 1-2 weeks for the purpose of panhandling.


Panhandling? But if they played FFXI, they could get like... 20 jobs.
____________________________
[ffxisig]55836[/ffxisig]

Mikhalia: and FWIW, my posts are 95% helpful, informative, or funny.
Mikhalia: only 5% or less of my posts are utter crap.
Tyapex: 393 posts of utter crap...
Mikhalia: Sounds about right.
#20 Mar 16 2011 at 6:56 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
611 posts
Mikhalia the Picky wrote:

Hey now, my friend's boyfriend's cousin's dog's littermate's owner's college roommate's old coworker's uncle's schoolyard pal's father's ex-wife's youngest son's teacher's friend's cousin's wife went to a movie a few years back with a guy who knew some people who attended a college where this guy taught a class that had a student who shopped at this 7-11 where this customer's friend's brother had a facebook friend's coworker's old boss' husband's secretary knew someone who lived near some guy who once worked at Square Enix back in 1987. And HE said that Final Fantasy was going to be their last game because they were almost bankrupt.

Now if you can't trust that, then I think you're just a fool. I mean, that's like, indisputable proof right there.


Mik, you forgot Kevin Bacon. . .
____________________________
FFXI Ronyn RDM 75 (R.I.P.) -Fairy / BarretJax 95 MNK (Non-Active) - Asura
Ronin Olorin / Ronyn Oloryn (Active) - Ultros Server

"Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence." - Max Ehrmann
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 21 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (21)