Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

April 2011: A 2nd start for FFXIV?Follow

#1 Mar 17 2011 at 8:23 AM Rating: Decent
*
146 posts
The first 6 months of the game have been synonym of disappointment and pessimism among the player base.

But 6 months, an earthquake and a 1 week service suspension later, SE seems to have the sympathy of its player base back.
-They have suspended service to save power due to the emergency state in Japan
-They have donated over 1M USD
-YoshiP has written a letter that gives us a feeling of both dedication toward the game and personal struggles from the team's perspective
-They hinted that they may make donations possible via the billing system from their online games and it seems that many people are enthusiastic with it

In short, it seems that gamers from all around the world are especially affected by the disaster in Japan due to the tie they have with the country via the FF series.

Now, to my point: When the servers go back in service, we will have probably a minor and a major patch back to back + the addition of the public company system, just at the time where many people may have realized that they actually enjoy the game more than they thought since not being able to play it for a while.

Mix the general feeling of sympathy, the excitement of starting to play again and the timing (6 months after launch, initial planned date for the PS3 release), and SE has the potential to ride its player base on a new wave of enthusiasm.

Now, when the servers are up again, they need to provide steady and satisfying improvements on a very tight schedule in order to surf this wave as long as possible, and we may very well refer to the FFXIV pre and post earthquake
#2 Mar 17 2011 at 9:27 AM Rating: Excellent
I don't think the earthquake caused anyone to be more optimistic about FFXIV.

I understand what you are trying to say about sympathy, but I think the enthusiasm that you are referring to has been generated mostly by Yoshi-P's communication with his playerbase.
#3 Mar 17 2011 at 9:48 AM Rating: Good
**
697 posts
Considering how far the game has already come in the first 6 months, the talk of adding a wholly new element to the game, plus the looming potential for CSE (Class Specific Equipment) and that Dungeon he's mentioned, and I think anyone who isn't excited / enthusiastic probably shouldn't be playing the game.

The idea of "sympathy" i don't particularly agree with, even though S-E's donations really should put the whole "S-E is going broke'd!" crowd down.

I think the biggest shot in the arm that this game will ever get is when they roll it out for PS3, that would invite journalists to take another look and (hopefully) give it some much more positive scores, and bring in a ton of new players.
____________________________
FFXI: Odin - Merylstryfe Summoner Woo Hoo!


#4 Mar 17 2011 at 10:30 AM Rating: Good
**
568 posts
SmashingtonWho wrote:
I don't think the earthquake caused anyone to be more optimistic about FFXIV.

I understand what you are trying to say about sympathy, but I think the enthusiasm that you are referring to has been generated mostly by Yoshi-P's communication with his playerbase.


I agree. Naturally there is sympathy but it's not directed towards this product.

I hope the companies bring some interesting content to the game. Honestly though everyone who wants to keep playing like I do has just got to put up with the state of the game until things get better and more interesting.

I feel like XIV is my bad lover; as much as it doesn't give me what I want, I just have too much history with it to leave it without giving it an endless stack of second chances.

The natural disasters haven't affected my view of the game in any way.
#5 Mar 17 2011 at 11:21 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
Avatar
**
867 posts
MerylStryfe wrote:
I think the biggest shot in the arm that this game will ever get is when they roll it out for PS3, that would invite journalists to take another look and (hopefully) give it some much more positive scores, and bring in a ton of new players.


I have to agree with this. PS3 imo is gonna be SE's 2nd and possibly last chance to try and revive the game for those that aren't already playing.

From what I've played of Xiv (started maybe a month ago) I like it. With servers down on this and Xi I been left completely bored so trying Rift atm, and its not too bad feels like theres always something to do and just tons of quests. That's something I kno Xiv said they'd address slowly, but I'd like to see lots and lots of quests.
#6 Mar 17 2011 at 11:33 AM Rating: Decent
*
68 posts
The one thing I think that could come out of this is the possibility of a major patch upon server restart. They've had their team working on multiple issues in the game. I'm sure that even with the energy conservation, SE is probably still working on the issues. It might be at a reduced rate. Even if they can't code out the patch, I'm sure that they are at the very least speculating the possible issues and thoroughly examining their decisions.

That being said, I wouldn't be too surprised if the servers weren't back up until the patch was complete. It could be a second wind for FFXIV. The only problem with that is the fact that FFXI is a subscription based game, and I'm pretty sure SE wants that up ASAP.

That's just my two gil. But game aside, I do hope well for all those affected by the Tsunami.
#7 Mar 17 2011 at 11:34 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
*
194 posts
Quote:
Considering how far the game has already come in the first 6 months, the talk of adding a wholly new element to the game, plus the looming potential for CSE (Class Specific Equipment) and that Dungeon he's mentioned, and I think anyone who isn't excited / enthusiastic probably shouldn't be playing the game.

The idea of "sympathy" i don't particularly agree with, even though S-E's donations really should put the whole "S-E is going broke'd!" crowd down.

I think the biggest shot in the arm that this game will ever get is when they roll it out for PS3, that would invite journalists to take another look and (hopefully) give it some much more positive scores, and bring in a ton of new players.


I'm a "glass is half-full" type of guy, but put the kool-aid down and take off those rosy colored glasses. :-P

I'm cautiously optimistic about the games future, and I acknowledge that SE has made significant improvements since the game first relesed six (6) months ago. But they still have a LONG way to go...

I do agree that the PS3 release could potentially be a huge shot in the arm for this game. The release would automatically create a new influx of players and would act as the catalyst for a re-review of FFXIV among critics and game journalists. But if they rush that re-release on PS3, it could be catastrophic for the games future.

FFXIV released to consistently god awful reviews across the board. Six (6) months later, the game is undeniably better, but I'm pretty sure that any present day "re-review" of FFXIV would still indicate that the game is bad. Not horrible like it was at release, but still bad.
#8 Mar 17 2011 at 11:37 AM Rating: Excellent
**
621 posts
Ps3 launch will be the REAL second start, and FFXIVs last chance.
____________________________
Kweh?!

...prophesizing the golden patch since october 2010.
#9 Mar 17 2011 at 11:39 AM Rating: Decent
Any speculation as to when the PS3 launch will be? Originally was March, then, was it pushed back "indefinitely"?
____________________________

I started this character at the CE launch, and played for about 2 months. Haven't touched it since.
#10 Mar 17 2011 at 11:45 AM Rating: Decent
**
621 posts
mattkujata wrote:
Any speculation as to when the PS3 launch will be? Originally was March, then, was it pushed back "indefinitely"?


I haven't heard anything.
____________________________
Kweh?!

...prophesizing the golden patch since october 2010.
#11 Mar 17 2011 at 11:48 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
*
106 posts
I feel bad for the Japanese people. But I don't really think this is going to unite people to play FFXIV when it comes back online.
#12 Mar 17 2011 at 12:10 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,045 posts
Quote:
Ps3 launch will be the REAL second start, and FFXIVs last chance.


This is true and the sad thing is it's so important they could put it off for years, they will keep second guessing if it's ready or not because if PS3 launch fails the game is done and the company wasted not only all the time developing it but the time since release trying to save it. Ps3 is a lifeline, but its a one time only deal.
____________________________
BANNED
#13 Mar 17 2011 at 12:17 PM Rating: Good
**
697 posts
thejones wrote:
Quote:
Considering how far the game has already come in the first 6 months, the talk of adding a wholly new element to the game, plus the looming potential for CSE (Class Specific Equipment) and that Dungeon he's mentioned, and I think anyone who isn't excited / enthusiastic probably shouldn't be playing the game.

The idea of "sympathy" i don't particularly agree with, even though S-E's donations really should put the whole "S-E is going broke'd!" crowd down.

I think the biggest shot in the arm that this game will ever get is when they roll it out for PS3, that would invite journalists to take another look and (hopefully) give it some much more positive scores, and bring in a ton of new players.


I'm a "glass is half-full" type of guy, but put the kool-aid down and take off those rosy colored glasses. :-P

I'm cautiously optimistic about the games future, and I acknowledge that SE has made significant improvements since the game first relesed six (6) months ago. But they still have a LONG way to go...

I do agree that the PS3 release could potentially be a huge shot in the arm for this game. The release would automatically create a new influx of players and would act as the catalyst for a re-review of FFXIV among critics and game journalists. But if they rush that re-release on PS3, it could be catastrophic for the games future.

FFXIV released to consistently god awful reviews across the board. Six (6) months later, the game is undeniably better, but I'm pretty sure that any present day "re-review" of FFXIV would still indicate that the game is bad. Not horrible like it was at release, but still bad.


Yeah, I agree with you that the general reviews would still be bad. But here's why I am so optimistic:
The majority of the stupid, annoying glitches are gone. Not ALL of them by any means, but think, the menu lag, the random disconnects (at least for me), the combat smoothness, ****, even graphical framerates seem optimized (coming from someone who got a 1425 on benchmark, the game runs much smoother now as opposed to launch).
I know that there's a ton of tweaking and work to be done, but like I said, to anyone whose still playing 6 months later, we like probably 75-80% of the current game, and want more content.

What I think will be truly interesting is to see how places like IGN, 1UP, and Gamespot handle re-reviews/PS3 reviews. If they have the same people review the ps3 version that did the PC version it could be really weird, like one site praising all the changes while another could say the game still totally blows. I guess that's just the subjective nature of game reviews, but I really do hope when the time comes to review the game for PS3 whoever does it uses a "clean slate" mentality.
____________________________
FFXI: Odin - Merylstryfe Summoner Woo Hoo!


#14 Mar 17 2011 at 12:19 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
118 posts
I certainly don't believe this to be a second start for FF in any sort of means. Our updates, server status, etc. is very much determined by the condition of the country and the next coming days with the nuclear power plant. Realistically, as per what has been said -all- along, it will be at least Autumn/Winter 2011 before the game actually shows a decent amount of comeback potential.
#15 Mar 17 2011 at 12:38 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,202 posts
What are these MAJOR & IMPRESSIVE changes that you guy's rant on about ? All they have delivered are basic updates and patches that anybody would have done, just at a snail pace :/

____________________________
MUTED
#16 Mar 17 2011 at 12:44 PM Rating: Good
I never thought the changes were major or impressive. I found them welcome and pleasing, despite the "snails pace".
____________________________

I started this character at the CE launch, and played for about 2 months. Haven't touched it since.
#17 Mar 17 2011 at 1:33 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,707 posts
You are right in a sense, but its nothing to do with sympathy. It will have more to do with the fact that instead of playing through several minor updates we will not be online and then git a big update at once. This makes is seem like more progress will have been made over that span of time than if we had experienced several little updates every couple of weeks. So while it is simply a matter of perception, it will probably give the game a small "shot in the arm". Perception does count for something.

#18 Mar 17 2011 at 1:48 PM Rating: Decent
*
146 posts
Mithsavvy wrote:
You are right in a sense, but its nothing to do with sympathy. It will have more to do with the fact that instead of playing through several minor updates we will not be online and then git a big update at once. This makes is seem like more progress will have been made over that span of time than if we had experienced several little updates every couple of weeks. So while it is simply a matter of perception, it will probably give the game a small "shot in the arm". Perception does count for something.



Exactly my point.

I did not mean to put emphasis on the sympathy, but rather that, among other things, general sympathy has altered a bit of the overall negative attitude.

Add that to the fact that, most importantly, people have been away from the game for a while + a possible quick succession of patches and new content and the fanbase may surf on a wave of enthusiasm once the game comes back.

That being said I hope they take the time to take care of personal stuff and do not put pressure on their team during the period the servers are down.
#19yfaithfully, Posted: Mar 17 2011 at 3:01 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Wow, how sad must a game be for an epic EARTHQUAKE to improve player perceptions about it?
#20 Mar 17 2011 at 3:27 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*****
12,702 posts
Ostia wrote:
What are these MAJOR & IMPRESSIVE changes that you guy's rant on about ? All they have delivered are basic updates and patches that anybody would have done, just at a snail pace :/



What snail pace? You mean the pace of 2 updates per month after a major managerial reformation?
____________________________

#21 Mar 17 2011 at 3:43 PM Rating: Good
Mistress Theonehio wrote:
Ostia wrote:
What are these MAJOR & IMPRESSIVE changes that you guy's rant on about ? All they have delivered are basic updates and patches that anybody would have done, just at a snail pace :/



What snail pace? You mean the pace of 2 updates per month after a major managerial reformation?
I kinda like that they are giving it to us more or less as they are coding it, as opposed to just updating in huge batches. Firstly, it allows the game to slightly improve roughly twice a month. Any bugs will most likely be small, or few in number, and can easily be fixed.
____________________________
Edited, Mar 21st 2011 2:14pm by Darqflame Lock Thread: Because Lubriderm is silly... ~ de geso

Almalieque wrote:
I know what a glory hole is, but I wasn't sure what the business part was in reference to.

My Anime List
#22 Mar 17 2011 at 5:29 PM Rating: Excellent
*
160 posts
A lot more people own PS3's than own PC's capable of running FFXIV.
Add to that there aren't many RPG's on PS3 and the fact that a large percentage of PS3 owners will have owned a PS2, and likely played and enjoyed an FF title on it, and the potential market is huge. If only 10% of the people that try the game continue to play, that's still way more than are currently playing.

And 2 updates a month, however small, is a lot. Doesn't take long to add up to a significant change/improvement.
____________________________


#23 Mar 17 2011 at 5:36 PM Rating: Good
I've had trouble finding a good RPG on PS3, let alone one that I won't blow through in 50 hours play time. I just hope for the sake of FFXIV that PS3 players don't feel the same way I did about FFXIII and use that as their basis for comparison.
____________________________

I started this character at the CE launch, and played for about 2 months. Haven't touched it since.
#24 Mar 17 2011 at 6:14 PM Rating: Excellent
I wouldn't expect any patches immediately after the game comes back up. Yoshi-P said the patch he'd planned to release around now has been delayed, and that info about companies wouldn't be released until toward the end of this month.

So, nope, I don't see this as any kind of "second start" for FFXIV. The servers have only been down for a week, and the dev team hasn't been at full strength, understandably.

The PS3 release will be the true second start for this game.

____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#25 Mar 17 2011 at 6:48 PM Rating: Excellent
****
7,106 posts
Quote:
What snail pace? You mean the pace of 2 updates per month after a major managerial reformation?

You mean the pace where six months after release there's not much to do and the game is merely "playable" but not yet especially fun?

Yes, I know there have been behind-the-scenes changes, and much work is being done. The end-user experience, though, is advancing rather slowly overall, relative to both the original launch and the shift in focus that marked the introduction of the new team. Realistically, the game is probably going to be out a year before many people start calling it "good," and in my mind that could quite reasonably be called a snail's pace.

And, I'm not saying that I don't appreciate the effort going into fixing/improving the game. I really, really hope it succeeds. I'm just not sure it's humanly possible to get the game good enough fast enough at this point, relative to the hopes and expectations of the players. SE started this game in a pretty big hole. The entire effort would have been abandoned months ago if this had come from any other company.

Which is my long-winded way of re-iterating that, while much frantic work is doubtless being done, it's very hard to objectively see anything but a very slow pace to the results.
#26 Mar 17 2011 at 7:17 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*****
12,702 posts
Caesura wrote:
Quote:
What snail pace? You mean the pace of 2 updates per month after a major managerial reformation?

You mean the pace where six months after release there's not much to do and the game is merely "playable" but not yet especially fun?


Yep, sucks having to fix a game that got rushed out the door eh? Compare the first 6 months of FFXI's JP release with first 6 months of XIVs, XIV would be nearing it's first expansion pack if they didn't have to change the team around and fix the game. Big difference? XI didn't get thrown out the door to try to inflate financial reports.

Quote:
Which is my long-winded way of re-iterating that, while much frantic work is doubtless being done, it's very hard to objectively see anything but a very slow pace to the results.


If all the work XIV needed could be done in a few days you'd guarantee it would be pushed out in a few days, but because XIV's issues lie with the foundation which then further affects everything else, including content addition, you can't work any faster. I don't think any company could fix an MMO in the matter of months if it was pushed out well before it should be, especially with having your managerial team changed in the process.

This is as quickly as they can realistically push out fixes. If XIV's only issue were lack of content yeah this is slow, but the issues is mainly with having to literally redo the whole the game.
____________________________

#27 Mar 17 2011 at 9:14 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,202 posts
Mistress Theonehio wrote:
Caesura wrote:
Quote:
What snail pace? You mean the pace of 2 updates per month after a major managerial reformation?

You mean the pace where six months after release there's not much to do and the game is merely "playable" but not yet especially fun?


Yep, sucks having to fix a game that got rushed out the door eh? Compare the first 6 months of FFXI's JP release with first 6 months of XIVs, XIV would be nearing it's first expansion pack if they didn't have to change the team around and fix the game. Big difference? XI didn't get thrown out the door to try to inflate financial reports.

Quote:
Which is my long-winded way of re-iterating that, while much frantic work is doubtless being done, it's very hard to objectively see anything but a very slow pace to the results.


If all the work XIV needed could be done in a few days you'd guarantee it would be pushed out in a few days, but because XIV's issues lie with the foundation which then further affects everything else, including content addition, you can't work any faster. I don't think any company could fix an MMO in the matter of months if it was pushed out well before it should be, especially with having your managerial team changed in the process.

This is as quickly as they can realistically push out fixes. If XIV's only issue were lack of content yeah this is slow, but the issues is mainly with having to literally redo the whole the game.


But of course i forgot SE only has one Dev team working all over the place, my bad for thinking they had people strictly working on content, while others worked on other areas... my bad for mistaking this company with a AAA game developing one :)
____________________________
MUTED
#28 Mar 18 2011 at 1:02 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
196 posts
What second start? Are you crazy? This game is practically dead to the western audience. Based on the activity on this FFXIV forum and the ones outside this community, there isn't much of a western audience left. With the crysis and chaos in Japan and the east (radiation spill spreads pretty fast) playing games is not a luxury people in the east can really afford right now. This trend will continue for many more months to come (if not years) as half life decay for uranium takes pretty long.

In essence you guys have no idea how screwed Japan is right now. Square Enix is the least of my worries, I am worrying about awesome car manufacturers like Toyota :( if they're gone I am going to have to settle for terribad american made cars.

____________________________
WoW: we want to give players a more fun time with less grinding and generic quests
GW2: we want the player to feel like they are leveling while doing something fun
Final Fantasy XIV: we want less fun and more grinding
#29 Mar 18 2011 at 1:21 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
351 posts
nick2412 wrote:
I am worrying about awesome car manufacturers like Toyota :( if they're gone I am going to have to settle for terribad american made cars.


You may be surprised to learn that Toyotas are made right in Canada and the United States, as well as several other countries around the world, not just Japan.

What were we talking about again?

FFXIV being switched back on will probably pick up right where it left off. There isn't going to be any sort of update to go with it (how could there be?), and even if there were, it would likely be a patch like all the others without major significance.

The PS3 release + expansion is when major changes and content will finally be added. That's the one last chance for a resurgence of this game. Nothing else is.
#30 Mar 18 2011 at 2:18 AM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
ForceOfMeh wrote:
nick2412 wrote:
I am worrying about awesome car manufacturers like Toyota :( if they're gone I am going to have to settle for terribad american made cars.


You may be surprised to learn that Toyotas are made right in Canada and the United States, as well as several other countries around the world, not just Japan.

What were we talking about again?

FFXIV being switched back on will probably pick up right where it left off. There isn't going to be any sort of update to go with it (how could there be?), and even if there were, it would likely be a patch like all the others without major significance.

The PS3 release + expansion is when major changes and content will finally be added. That's the one last chance for a resurgence of this game. Nothing else is.


Mind telling me where you got all this information from ? The ps3 release has been halted, and there has been no talks of an expansion :)

Links please or you are just trolling
____________________________
MUTED
#31 Mar 18 2011 at 9:13 AM Rating: Good
*
178 posts
northernsky wrote:
The first 6 months of the game have been synonym of disappointment and pessimism among the player base.

But 6 months, an earthquake and a 1 week service suspension later, SE seems to have the sympathy of its player base back.
-They have suspended service to save power due to the emergency state in Japan
-They have donated over 1M USD
-YoshiP has written a letter that gives us a feeling of both dedication toward the game and personal struggles from the team's perspective
-They hinted that they may make donations possible via the billing system from their online games and it seems that many people are enthusiastic with it

In short, it seems that gamers from all around the world are especially affected by the disaster in Japan due to the tie they have with the country via the FF series.

Now, to my point: When the servers go back in service, we will have probably a minor and a major patch back to back + the addition of the public company system, just at the time where many people may have realized that they actually enjoy the game more than they thought since not being able to play it for a while.

Mix the general feeling of sympathy, the excitement of starting to play again and the timing (6 months after launch, initial planned date for the PS3 release), and SE has the potential to ride its player base on a new wave of enthusiasm.

Now, when the servers are up again, they need to provide steady and satisfying improvements on a very tight schedule in order to surf this wave as long as possible, and we may very well refer to the FFXIV pre and post earthquake


If the bolded text is true then SE must be hurting worse financially then i thought. My company, which is a US based company with little to no subsidiary divisions in Japan recently donated $8M USD to the relief efforts. Considering that the disaster impacted major japanese corporations on a larger scale i'd have imagined that those companies would feel compelled to donate more for the cause.

I for one am hoping for a healthy recovery not just for FFXIV but for all that have been affected by this tragedy. But I feel that any hopes of a rebirth for FFXIV are too optimistic. Despite what Yoshi-P and SE is saying about their efforts to bring about the services back online to satisfy the player base, right now the success of FFXI or FFXIV or any game for that matter seems trivial to the recovery of a nation. A few weeks ago I would have been extremely animate in any debate regarding the future of FFXIV. But right now, under the circumstances I dont' give a **** if FFXIV succeeds or not. Personally, I have had (distant) family impacted by the Tsunami. And i can tell you that for me to care about a game at this point makes me feel both guilty and petty. I can't imagine how some of the developers and employees in SE must be feeling at this time but it would be human nature to feel as I have if not worse since the devastation is closer to home. Those same people who are the responsible for the future of FFXIV may very well be in a state of indifference towards the game and are more concerned about their loved ones at this time. They are human after all.
#32 Mar 18 2011 at 9:22 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*****
12,702 posts
lightacadi wrote:
northernsky wrote:
The first 6 months of the game have been synonym of disappointment and pessimism among the player base.

But 6 months, an earthquake and a 1 week service suspension later, SE seems to have the sympathy of its player base back.
-They have suspended service to save power due to the emergency state in Japan
-They have donated over 1M USD


If the bolded text is true then SE must be hurting worse financially then i thought. My company, which is a US based company with little to no subsidiary divisions in Japan recently donated $8M USD to the relief efforts.


Only 8 mil? Why not 10? Why not 20? SE isn't in a bad position financially, much like Capcom donated 1.2 mil usd and with the recent release of MvC3 you know they made well more than that after even a week and could have donated more, it's a common trend for JP gaming companies to donate at least 1m USD to charity atm.
____________________________

#33 Mar 18 2011 at 9:29 AM Rating: Good
*
178 posts
Mistress Theonehio wrote:
lightacadi wrote:
northernsky wrote:
The first 6 months of the game have been synonym of disappointment and pessimism among the player base.

But 6 months, an earthquake and a 1 week service suspension later, SE seems to have the sympathy of its player base back.
-They have suspended service to save power due to the emergency state in Japan
-They have donated over 1M USD


If the bolded text is true then SE must be hurting worse financially then i thought. My company, which is a US based company with little to no subsidiary divisions in Japan recently donated $8M USD to the relief efforts.


Only 8 mil? Why not 10? Why not 20? SE isn't in a bad position financially, much like Capcom donated 1.2 mil usd and with the recent release of MvC3 you know they made well more than that after even a week and could have donated more, it's a common trend for JP gaming companies to donate at least 1m USD to charity atm.


My comment wasn't a snide remark about how much our company is donating. I was just baffled by the disparity in charitable donations to this relief from a company that has absolutely no vested interest in Japan versus companies that have everything to gain from a speedy recovery. And to me the logical sense is that SE must be tight on finances for them to donate so little. Of course it could just be a cultural phenomenon where western countries are more generous and empathetic during crisis situations.
#34 Mar 18 2011 at 9:37 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,707 posts
Thayos wrote:
I wouldn't expect any patches immediately after the game comes back up. Yoshi-P said the patch he'd planned to release around now has been delayed, and that info about companies wouldn't be released until toward the end of this month.

So, nope, I don't see this as any kind of "second start" for FFXIV. The servers have only been down for a week, and the dev team hasn't been at full strength, understandably.

The PS3 release will be the true second start for this game.



Sure it wont be as "epic" as the PS3 launch *should* be, but you are ignoring the fact that a lot of people (likely myself included) will use this downtime as momentum to give up FFXIV until the next major update. The bottom line is that I have already gotten involved in another game and started a couple of involved house projects (painting and landscaping) that I had been putting off.

Yes, I'm going to continue to play FFXIV - but I will wait until something big like the release of some new interesting content.

#35 Mar 18 2011 at 9:40 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
1,707 posts
Ostia wrote:
ForceOfMeh wrote:
nick2412 wrote:
I am worrying about awesome car manufacturers like Toyota :( if they're gone I am going to have to settle for terribad american made cars.


You may be surprised to learn that Toyotas are made right in Canada and the United States, as well as several other countries around the world, not just Japan.

What were we talking about again?

FFXIV being switched back on will probably pick up right where it left off. There isn't going to be any sort of update to go with it (how could there be?), and even if there were, it would likely be a patch like all the others without major significance.

The PS3 release + expansion is when major changes and content will finally be added. That's the one last chance for a resurgence of this game. Nothing else is.


Mind telling me where you got all this information from ? The ps3 release has been halted, and there has been no talks of an expansion :)

Links please or you are just trolling


Everything he said is pretty much common knowledge or extremely intuitive.
#36 Mar 18 2011 at 2:37 PM Rating: Default
**
557 posts
NCSoft, a Korean company who makes MMOs like Aion, donated 6.3 million USD.

Not that it matters either way, really. First, corporate charity is just buying good will. Second, Japan hasn't asked for any outside help and has only let a few countries help--given how proud and independent it is (and how rich) I don't think it's wise to force relief agencies to earmark money for Japan, and third--making relief agencies earmark money for any disaster is a bad idea.

____________________________


#37 Mar 18 2011 at 4:31 PM Rating: Excellent
Corporate charity is NOT just buying goodwill. Believe it or not, sometimes humans actually care about the fate of strangers.

I believe very strongly that philanthropy is the world's only hope for a healthy future.

Edited, Mar 18th 2011 6:31pm by SmashingtonWho
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 18 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (18)