Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Laptop HelpFollow

#1 Mar 21 2011 at 10:29 AM Rating: Decent
16 posts
Buying my new laptop (for much more than just ffXIV) and just want to make sure everything works with the game! Also, I haven't decided between two different laptops, both around the same price.. which would come better recommended?

XPS 15
Processor
* Intel® CoreTM i5 2410M (2.3GHz/3MB cache)
Operating System
* Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
Display
* 15.6 in HD WLED TL (1366x768) with Skype-Certified 2.0MP HD Webcam
Memory9
* 4GB9 Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz
Hard Drive
* 500GB10 SATA hard drive (7200RPM)
Video Card
* 1024MB NVIDIA® GeForce® GT525M

Inspiron 15R
2nd generation Intel® Core™ i5-2410M processor 2.30 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 2.90 GHz
MEMORY 4GB Shared Single Channel DDR3 Memory
HARD DRIVE 500GB 5400 RPM SATA Hard Drive
VIDEO CARD AMD Radeon™ HD 6470M (64-bit) 512MB (Dual)
15.6" High Definition (720p) LED Display with TrueLife™

Thank you, I greatly appreciate your help!
#2 Mar 21 2011 at 10:58 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
*
97 posts
Just looking at the stats, you will want to go for the 1gig ram laptop, not the 512mb. Having that extra video memory to play FFXIV is the difference comparable to playing a nintendo 8 bit and upgrading to a N64.

Totally worth it.
#3 Mar 21 2011 at 11:35 AM Rating: Good
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
I'd recommend neither because both laptops are Dell computers.

More importantly, I'd recommend neither because both GPUs are very underpowered for FFXIV. The most powerful mobile card available for the XPS 15 is the 540M, which is still a very underpowered card. If you really want to go the laptop route for FFXIV, don't be shocked if you have to pay big to run it decently, probably $1300 minimum. Desktops can do so much better for so much cheaper.

Edited, Mar 21st 2011 12:44pm by bsphil
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#4 Mar 21 2011 at 11:47 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
844 posts
XainVeliki wrote:
Just looking at the stats, you will want to go for the 1gig ram laptop, not the 512mb. Having that extra video memory to play FFXIV is the difference comparable to playing a nintendo 8 bit and upgrading to a N64.

Totally worth it.

lol, what?
____________________________
See your face upon the clear water. How dirty! Come! Wash your face!
#5 Mar 21 2011 at 11:48 AM Rating: Decent
**
473 posts
AtarashiGamer wrote:
Buying my new laptop (for much more than just ffXIV) and just want to make sure everything works with the game! Also, I haven't decided between two different laptops, both around the same price.. which would come better recommended?

XPS 15
Processor
* Intel® CoreTM i5 2410M (2.3GHz/3MB cache)
Operating System
* Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
Display
* 15.6 in HD WLED TL (1366x768) with Skype-Certified 2.0MP HD Webcam
Memory9
* 4GB9 Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz
Hard Drive
* 500GB10 SATA hard drive (7200RPM)
Video Card
* 1024MB NVIDIA® GeForce® GT525M

Inspiron 15R
2nd generation Intel® Core™ i5-2410M processor 2.30 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 2.90 GHz
MEMORY 4GB Shared Single Channel DDR3 Memory
HARD DRIVE 500GB 5400 RPM SATA Hard Drive
VIDEO CARD AMD Radeon™ HD 6470M (64-bit) 512MB (Dual)
15.6" High Definition (720p) LED Display with TrueLife™

Thank you, I greatly appreciate your help!



Either laptop is fine for mid/high settings

I would go with the XPS bc they usually have cooler looking cases

#6 Mar 21 2011 at 11:55 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
*
97 posts
Ilean wrote:
XainVeliki wrote:
Just looking at the stats, you will want to go for the 1gig ram laptop, not the 512mb. Having that extra video memory to play FFXIV is the difference comparable to playing a nintendo 8 bit and upgrading to a N64.

Totally worth it.

lol, what?



Playing at full minimum settings, and then setting it up to medium quality is such a big difference in gameplay imo. I guess that was a horrible explanation; so I can only say when they bring the servers back up set it to full minimum settings, log in and take a look. Then take a look at the settings you would usually use. BIG difference.
#7 Mar 21 2011 at 12:09 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
351 posts
XainVeliki wrote:
Just looking at the stats, you will want to go for the 1gig ram laptop, not the 512mb. Having that extra video memory to play FFXIV is the difference comparable to playing a nintendo 8 bit and upgrading to a N64.


First of all, while dedicated memory helps, it's not an indication of performance. There are some really crappy 1GB video cards out there. Second, the video memory on both cards is 1 GB according to NVidia and AMD respectively.

Both will probably let you play FFXIV decently at low settings. They're not high performance laptop video cards like say a GeForce GTX 485M, but the trade-off is that they need less power and thus prolong battery life. It all depends on how you plan to use your laptop.

Edited, Mar 21st 2011 2:12pm by ForceOfMeh
#8 Mar 21 2011 at 12:18 PM Rating: Decent
16 posts
Thank you for the help! I'm not looking for anything that plays on max settings... just a laptop for pictures, music, work, and, of course, FFXIV.
#9 Mar 21 2011 at 12:25 PM Rating: Excellent
**
473 posts
OP I play XIV on an alienware laptop with a generation older video card.
my config is

I5 quad core 9400 cpu
dual nvidia 1GB 260M video cards
4GB memory
windows 7 64 bit

Only my cpu is overclocked and I play the game in 720P which is the best
my screen can do I have run the game in 1080P on my 46 inch tv and it runs great.
The only thing I would advise towards is a cooling pad you will be pushing the system
and you will want to keep it cooled.

If you have questions or want some screens of what the game will look like on a
laptop I can email those over.

I play with MSAA at 4X
depth of field on
max setting on drawing quality
and no ambient occlusion (tbh the game doesn't even need this feature)
all other setting are set according what SE has suggested we set a the options to
which is about medium to almost max settings in the options.
#10 Mar 21 2011 at 12:37 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
97 posts
ForceOfMeh wrote:
XainVeliki wrote:
Just looking at the stats, you will want to go for the 1gig ram laptop, not the 512mb. Having that extra video memory to play FFXIV is the difference comparable to playing a nintendo 8 bit and upgrading to a N64.


First of all, while dedicated memory helps, it's not an indication of performance. There are some really crappy 1GB video cards out there. Second, the video memory on both cards is 1 GB according to NVidia and AMD respectively.

Both will probably let you play FFXIV decently at low settings. They're not high performance laptop video cards like say a GeForce GTX 485M, but the trade-off is that they need less power and thus prolong battery life. It all depends on how you plan to use your laptop.

Edited, Mar 21st 2011 2:12pm by ForceOfMeh


Thanks for the correction, I missed the (dual) for the AMD. And for the further info, good stuff to know if I decide to upgrade in the future.
#11 Mar 21 2011 at 12:45 PM Rating: Good
***
1,083 posts
bsphil wrote:
I'd recommend neither because both laptops are Dell computers.

More importantly, I'd recommend neither because both GPUs are very underpowered for FFXIV. The most powerful mobile card available for the XPS 15 is the 540M, which is still a very underpowered card. If you really want to go the laptop route for FFXIV, don't be shocked if you have to pay big to run it decently, probably $1300 minimum. Desktops can do so much better for so much cheaper.

Edited, Mar 21st 2011 12:44pm by bsphil


I have to agree. I have a Dell Studio XPS 16 with an i7 quad. It has a 5730 which is actually no slouch but still is not that great looking with FFXIV. I think the GT525M is actually a step back from that GPU.

I have a desktop to play FFXIV on but when I got the laptop for work I thought it might have a chance. At 1280x720 it plays ok but looks pretty awful.

The Alienwares would do much better but yeah you're looking at well over $1300 to get anywhere near the performance of a $500 desktop.

____________________________
Wada: "There may be some areas of testing that were lacking or too rigid."
#12 Mar 21 2011 at 12:59 PM Rating: Good
*
88 posts
If you must get a laptop rather than a desktop, the 525m in the first laptop mentioned will be better than the 6470 which is a very low end card, but still wont get very good performance. i'd look for something with a radeon 5870m or nvidia gtx 460m in it at least for decent performance.
#13 Mar 21 2011 at 5:51 PM Rating: Decent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
jamiehavok wrote:
If you must get a laptop rather than a desktop, the 525m in the first laptop mentioned will be better than the 6470 which is a very low end card, but still wont get very good performance. i'd look for something with a radeon 5870m or nvidia gtx 460m in it at least for decent performance.
Having done some quick peeking around at gaming laptops, those are the two cards that I've seen for sale in machines that would be suitable for FFXIV. There are more powerful GPUs but these are the ones that are easiest to find. As a result you're going to look at spending probably $1300 minimum to get those GPUs in your system. Even then, they only do a decent job (speaking as someone who owns a laptop with an i7-720qm and ATI 5870M), don't expect miracles. It's actually very good at other games like L4D2, but FFXIV is very inefficient and requires a lot of graphical processing power. I can get passable framerates (20-30 fps) at 1600x900 with 2x AA and standard settings, and the 5870M is far more powerful than the GT 525M or AMD 6470M.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#14 Mar 21 2011 at 8:22 PM Rating: Decent
16 posts
If I hook my laptop up to a television does the graphics card matter? I don't feel comfortable dishing out too much money for a laptop and am wondering if that would be a quick fix for at home play ?
#15 Mar 21 2011 at 8:23 PM Rating: Good
AtarashiGamer wrote:
If I hook my laptop up to a television does the graphics card matter?


Indubitably.


Edited, Mar 21st 2011 10:23pm by mattkujata
____________________________

I started this character at the CE launch, and played for about 2 months. Haven't touched it since.
#16 Mar 21 2011 at 9:02 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,235 posts
I too wanted a laptop so I could play both at work and home OP.

I ended up building a desktop and carting it back and forth with a lan party bag, but my friend and I did extensive research and testing on laptops running XIV.

He went and bought the Asus G73JHa-2. It runs like a dream due to the mem, I7 and 5870 mobility, and cooling, and thats on pretty high settings.
The alienware version of the same set-up is also nice, but a bit more pricey for the same specs.

I would suggest saving up the extra money for one of these, as settling on less will affect XIV performance. I've tried playing XIV on lower mobility cards both ati and nvidia, and they really get taxxed and overheated at medium game settings. Don't forget you'll be shortening the lifespan of the video card when you run it hot for extended periods, as will be the case with a mid-lower end mobility card running XIV. So in the end it will cost you anyway.

I'd go with nothing lower than the specs on that Asus.
____________________________


"Don't take it personally man, white knights would eat a can of **** if the label said SE on it. If anyone dared mention that it was not a good product, they'd just argue if someone can't appreciate the subtle nuances in the ****, they should just go back to eating lolrealfood, cuz the devs prolly know more about canning food than they do."
#17 Mar 21 2011 at 10:45 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
108 posts
I play XIV on the ASUS G73JW-A1 and absolutely love it...full HD and I play with mid-high settings. I think the i7 processor definitely helps and the 1.5GB of dedicated video card (nvidia gtx460m)

it's a 17" and a bit bulky to carry around unfortunately if I want to travel light.

I have been looking for a slightly smaller version of this laptop (13" or 15")...can't really find any 13" ones with good specs...

asus n53sv seems to be decent but I'm not quite sure...maybe someone can tell me if these specs would run XIV ok?

-Intel Core i7-2630QM Quad-Core Processor 2.0 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 2.8GHz
-4GB of DDR3 1333 MHz SDRAM, 4 slots, 16GB Max; Nvidia GT540M Graphics with 1GB DDR3 VRAM


I think the video card falls under class 2 (not the best but supposed to be not bad either)

What does everyone think?

15" laptop btw
#18 Mar 21 2011 at 11:33 PM Rating: Decent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
The 2630 is a massive step up but the 540M is a massive step down, and unfortunately, the 5870M already leaves plenty to be desired.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#19 Mar 22 2011 at 1:32 PM Rating: Good
**
660 posts
Speeral wrote:
OP I play XIV on an alienware laptop with a generation older video card.
my config is

I5 quad core 9400 cpu
dual nvidia 1GB 260M video cards
4GB memory
windows 7 64 bit

Only my cpu is overclocked and I play the game in 720P which is the best
my screen can do I have run the game in 1080P on my 46 inch tv and it runs great.
The only thing I would advise towards is a cooling pad you will be pushing the system
and you will want to keep it cooled.

If you have questions or want some screens of what the game will look like on a
laptop I can email those over.

I play with MSAA at 4X
depth of field on
max setting on drawing quality
and no ambient occlusion (tbh the game doesn't even need this feature)
all other setting are set according what SE has suggested we set a the options to
which is about medium to almost max settings in the options.


I have an ASUS that has very similar specs and I have no problems on medium settings. You will definately want a good cooling pad though, as it will heat up a lot with just the standard on-board fan. I output to my 1080p tv as well and I'm certainly not disappointed.

Though admittedly now I want a laptop that I can use to play the game in 3D... (has to be a laptop because I travel often).

Edit: You'll need the cooling pad even if your CPU isn't overclocked.

Edited, Mar 22nd 2011 3:47pm by reptiletim
____________________________


#20 Mar 22 2011 at 3:59 PM Rating: Decent
4 posts
I have linked this laptop before. My brother uses this and loves it, as another posted stated it does get hot esspeciallyy the power supply. but for the price you cant do much better

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220861

#21 Mar 24 2011 at 2:24 PM Rating: Decent
16 posts
Ended up finding some extra cash in a bank account I was closing up.. so went big and bought a Sager 8130! Pumped to be upgraded from my 75gb, 6 year old, crapathon computer I currently have! Thank you posters for all of your help, it certainly pointed me in the right direction.
#22 Mar 24 2011 at 3:20 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
812 posts
The biggest problem with Dell is not the hardware, or their prices, but their customer service. Have a Dell product break under warranty and you'll find out what I mean.
____________________________
Abaddon Active Player Roster
- All your Fabul Sever are belong to us! -


#23 Mar 24 2011 at 5:03 PM Rating: Decent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
Jefro420 wrote:
The biggest problem with Dell is not the hardware, or their prices, but their customer service. Have a Dell product break under warranty and you'll find out what I mean.
That's been a problem for a decade now, though.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#24 Mar 26 2011 at 5:03 PM Rating: Good
****
7,106 posts
Quote:
Have a Dell product break under warranty and you'll find out what I mean.

Eh, people keep saying that, but I've had two Dell laptops break and both were sent and returned fixed in four days. It was an inconvenience not to have the laptop for a few days, but the customer service wasn't painful at all. Both times I just let them play with the laptop remotely until they couldn't fix it, and then a pre-paid empty box arrived the next day.

Of course, having two Dell laptops out of four break isn't a ringing endorsement either. But, the customer service was fine.

My biggest problem with Dell right now is that their laptops aren't very pretty. The new XPS models are giant and ugly, and while I think the Inspirons look pretty decent overall, the "hinge-forward" design is a bit of a turn-off for me. I'm keen to see what the new ultra-portable looks like, since I quite enjoy the look of the Adamo and skinny Vostro models.
#25 Mar 27 2011 at 3:36 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
82 posts
Hey everyone,

Was hoping for some input on the following build. Would this laptop run XIV on decent settings? I'm on the road alot, and already have a desktop that can run the game on high - I just never get to use it due to travel ;( I'm wanting to purchase a laptop that will run the game on relatively high settings.

PROCESSOR - Intel® Core™ i7 2630QM 2.0GHz (2.8GHz Turbo Mode, 6MB Cache) edit
LCD PANEL - 17.3-inch WideHD+ 1600 x 900 60Hz WLED edit
MEMORY - 6GB DDR3 at 1333MHz (2DIMMS) edit
HARD DRIVE - 750GB 7,200RPM HDD edit
VIDEO CARD - 1GB GDDR5 AMD Radeon™ HD 6870M edit
INTERNAL OPTICAL DRIVE - Slot-Loading Dual Layer Blu-ray Reader (BR-ROM, DVD+-RW, CD-RW) edit
WIRELESS CARD - Wireless 802.11 g/n edit


Any input is greatly appreciated to help me customize the build! Thank you!
#26 Mar 27 2011 at 8:50 PM Rating: Good
AtarashiGamer wrote:
If I hook my laptop up to a television does the graphics card matter? I don't feel comfortable dishing out too much money for a laptop and am wondering if that would be a quick fix for at home play ?


Just hooking up to a television does not change the need for a quality machine/graphics. Laptops, even gaming, IMO were never designed with FFXIV style of gaming in mind (graphics intensive). The biggest downfall is the power requirements, lack of space, and cooling needs that a desktop offers. And yes, like many posters have stated, a laptop for gaming is going to cost you at least $1300 for a basic system.

When it comes to portability is where you should wait for the PS3 version, but, who knows when that will be.

____________________________


http://theforsakenlink.com

5040 X 1050 with Matrox Triple Head 2 Go
480 in SLI
I-7 950 OC 3.68 Ghz, 12 GB DDR3 1600
1000w PSU
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 24 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (24)