Forum Settings
       
This thread is locked

How short is 'shortly' ?Follow

#1 Mar 21 2011 at 6:19 PM Rating: Default
*
176 posts
First, let me preface this by saying I understand the severity of the situation in Japan and understand video games are not their primary focus at this time. With that out of the way, hopefully we can talk about the game without people flaming each other about being insensitive.

In Yoshida's last letter, he mentions that a page detailing companies will be up on the Lodestone "shortly." That was five days ago. My question then: How long is shortly? How long SHOULD 'shortly' be? What is the maximum amount of time that can pass before something no longer arrives in a shortly manner?

Last month, everyone was upset when quests took longer than expected to be implemented. This was due to the Letter from the Producer that said quests were coming to Eorzea "sometime after the beginning of February." In a later letter he mentioned that this update was delayed, providing clarification after the fact. Meanwhile, we were all scratching our heads wondering what exactly "after the beginning of February" meant. Was it the first patch? Second patch? It ended up coming in March, which although technically is "sometime after the beginning of February" wasn't exactly what most of us had in mind. Again, he clarified this later, which he might do with the Company page on Lodestone, but I can't help feel like his wording leaves something to be desired.

I understand that they're managing the game in four different languages, which can make translation difficult. However, if they really want to work on regaining trust they should use more concrete language and avoid nebulous phrases like "shortly," which leave us waiting, and waiting and waiting. If it was going to take a week, they should have said a week. If it was only supposed to be a couple days, an update would be nice. It's been a few days since Yoshida has even logged in to the Lodestone.

/flameshield up

Edited, Mar 21st 2011 9:43pm by Thayos Lock Thread: prevent flaming
____________________________


#2 Mar 21 2011 at 6:27 PM Rating: Good
*
170 posts
I hate to sound this way, but you do realize they have much more pressing matters to attend since the earthquake and tsunami occured? Yoshida may have released the info by now if that did not occur. He also may not have and it could have been the same situation you mentioned.....but because of events outside anyones control, we will never know.

Right now, I honestly would hope the people working for SE would be more concerned about their friends and loved ones then meeting some arbitrary time frame mentioned by Yoshida. I would think if a major disaster basically took out a large portion of the USA, most people here wouldn't be worried about what happens in FFXI or FFXIV....but would be more concerned about the state of our country and worrying about day to day life.

Edited, Mar 21st 2011 8:30pm by EklmForever
#3 Mar 21 2011 at 6:31 PM Rating: Decent
*
176 posts
EklmForever wrote:
I hate to sound this way, but you do realize they have much more pressing matters to attend since the earthquake and tsunami occured? Yoshida may have released the info by now if that did not occur. He also may not have and it could have been the same situation you mentioned.....but because of events outside anyones control, we will never know.

Right now, I honestly would hope the people working for SE would be more concerned about their friends and loved ones then meeting some arbitrary deadline mentioned by Yoshida.


Yes, I do, that's why I mentioned it. So we could talk about the language used in his letters and not this. I guess I was hoping in vain.
____________________________


#4 Mar 21 2011 at 6:36 PM Rating: Decent
*
186 posts
superdupernuker wrote:
First, let me preface this by saying I understand the severity of the situation in Japan and understand video games are not their primary focus at this time. With that out of the way, hopefully we can talk about the game without people flaming each other about being insensitive.

In Yoshida's last letter, he mentions that a page detailing companies will be up on the Lodestone "shortly." That was five days ago. My question then: How long is shortly? How long SHOULD 'shortly' be? What is the maximum amount of time that can pass before something no longer arrives in a shortly manner?

Last month, everyone was upset when quests took longer than expected to be implemented. This was due to the Letter from the Producer that said quests were coming to Eorzea "sometime after the beginning of February." In a later letter he mentioned that this update was delayed, providing clarification after the fact. Meanwhile, we were all scratching our heads wondering what exactly "after the beginning of February" meant. Was it the first patch? Second patch? It ended up coming in March, which although technically is "sometime after the beginning of February" wasn't exactly what most of us had in mind. Again, he clarified this later, which he might do with the Company page on Lodestone, but I can't help feel like his wording leaves something to be desired.

I understand that they're managing the game in four different languages, which can make translation difficult. However, if they really want to work on regaining trust they should use more concrete language and avoid nebulous phrases like "shortly," which leave us waiting, and waiting and waiting. If it was going to take a week, they should have said a week. If it was only supposed to be a couple days, an update would be nice. It's been a few days since Yoshida has even logged in to the Lodestone.

/flameshield up




You have to keep in mind that Yoshida is being very careful with his promises. The reason why he uses vague and misleading words is that he cannot afford to mistakenly promise us something that he may not be able to fully accomplish at a certain date. Betraying a promise is the last thing they want to do to gain trust.
____________________________
Watch who you are calling Douchebags, jerk. BANNED
#5 Mar 21 2011 at 6:45 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,235 posts
"Shortly" would be how long your (Vik) parents should have given you access to the internet.

Edited, Mar 21st 2011 8:45pm by Restyoneck
____________________________


"Don't take it personally man, white knights would eat a can of **** if the label said SE on it. If anyone dared mention that it was not a good product, they'd just argue if someone can't appreciate the subtle nuances in the ****, they should just go back to eating lolrealfood, cuz the devs prolly know more about canning food than they do."
#6 Mar 21 2011 at 6:45 PM Rating: Good
There should be an update posted on Lodestone sometime tonight (March 22 in Japan).
____________________________

I started this character at the CE launch, and played for about 2 months. Haven't touched it since.
#7 Mar 21 2011 at 6:49 PM Rating: Good
*
182 posts
ViKtor actually said something I agree with.
____________________________
?
#8 Mar 21 2011 at 7:02 PM Rating: Decent
*
176 posts
Well, I tried. Can someone lock this?
____________________________


#9 Mar 21 2011 at 7:04 PM Rating: Good
superdupernuker wrote:
Well, I tried. Can someone lock this?


Tried what?
____________________________

I started this character at the CE launch, and played for about 2 months. Haven't touched it since.
#10 Mar 21 2011 at 7:24 PM Rating: Good
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
superdupernuker wrote:
First, let me preface this by saying I understand the severity of the situation in Japan and understand video games are not their primary focus at this time. With that out of the way, hopefully we can talk about the game without people flaming each other about being insensitive.
Well the thing is, you can't just dismiss that as a viable talking point. It IS important. How short is shortly? I don't know, but just because you start a post saying that you acknowledge the situation and don't want to seem insensitive doesn't mean that you can stop it from being a response.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#11 Mar 21 2011 at 7:32 PM Rating: Decent
*
176 posts
I was mainly trying to stem the flow of "how can you think about the game right now, you monster?" comments that abound on this board as well as others. Oh well. Live and learn.
____________________________


#12 Mar 21 2011 at 7:52 PM Rating: Good
superdupernuker wrote:
I was mainly trying to stem the flow of "how can you think about the game right now, you monster?" comments that abound on this board as well as others. Oh well. Live and learn.


I don't think there's a person who posts on this board that doesn't want to see the servers back up as soon as possible. Some people like to consider themselves righteous and call out the "greedy players who couldn't care less about the people so long as they get to play their game again", and some people are like that. If I didn't play FFXIV, and visit this board regularly, I admit that I wouldn't know half as much as I know about what's going on in Japan right now. Of course I'm thinking about FFXIV right now! If I wasn't I wouldn't be here. I don't think anyone is calling you insensitive. I do think a lot of the regulars are growing weary of threads popping up saying "I feel for the people of Japan, but when is the game gonna be back?".
____________________________

I started this character at the CE launch, and played for about 2 months. Haven't touched it since.
#13 Mar 21 2011 at 7:55 PM Rating: Good
**
266 posts
I get what you're saying man, and I feel the same way. The sooner we get this news on companies, the better. However, they've got a few more important things on their hands and we need to be patient (On the Japanese forum Yoshida said the exact same thing to someone who prosed the same question). I would imagine that we'll see something about this week though. Shortly definitely doesn't mean a few weeks, I would think less than a week :)
#14 Mar 21 2011 at 8:07 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
351 posts
superdupernuker wrote:
How long is shortly?


Depends if you ask a Lalafell or an Elezen. :P
#15 Mar 21 2011 at 8:11 PM Rating: Excellent
2 posts
All the Major Japanese companies are resuming operations the next day or so., Toyota, Sony, Nissan,i'd expect SE to do the same also.
____________________________


#16 Mar 21 2011 at 8:31 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
691 posts
Yoshi-P wrote:
I had intended to announce this in a future letter, but we will release information regarding the Grand Companies of Eorzea (what were referred to as “public companies” in previous posts) just before patch 1.17 goes live. We are currently readying a page dedicated to this exciting new feature, and hope to have it up on the Lodestone shortly.


Important parts are in bold, and should answer your question.
#17 Mar 21 2011 at 8:34 PM Rating: Excellent
*
213 posts
ViKtoricus wrote:

You have to keep in mind that Yoshida is being very careful with his promises. The reason why he uses vague and misleading words is that he cannot afford to mistakenly promise us something that he may not be able to fully accomplish at a certain date. Betraying a promise is the last thing they want to do to gain trust.


I will actually have to agree with vik on this one. And I'm glad it is done this way.
____________________________


#18 Mar 21 2011 at 8:48 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
Also, you do realize there are ROLLING BLACKOUTS in Tokyo because of the situation?

That means you'll be on these forums ******** because the servers D/C'd you again and you lost 2 levels of crafting progress and blah blah blah.

____________________________


#19 Mar 21 2011 at 8:52 PM Rating: Good
***
1,636 posts
I feel like SE's definition of shortly is anything within 2 weeks. More directly about the companies thing, feels like SE basically shut down after the quakes, I wouldn't expect anything for a few days to a week after servers come up.
____________________________


#20 Mar 21 2011 at 8:57 PM Rating: Decent
2 posts
Actually the rolling blackout do not affect the business section of the city where SE is located.
____________________________


#21 Mar 21 2011 at 10:23 PM Rating: Good
**
266 posts
Uryuu wrote:
Yoshi-P wrote:
I had intended to announce this in a future letter, but we will release information regarding the Grand Companies of Eorzea (what were referred to as “public companies” in previous posts) just before patch 1.17 goes live. We are currently readying a page dedicated to this exciting new feature, and hope to have it up on the Lodestone shortly.


Important parts are in bold, and should answer your question.

Wow, rereading that I notice that they could literally post them anytime from literally this second to Judgement Day... Yeah, I'm not going to get my hopes up. I wish SE would just give us hard facts. I really hate all of the bull****ting around they do. SE, could you say things like, "We'll probably get this info out to you guys by the end of the month," that way people don't get their hopes up that you'll post it tomorrow. Sorry if I'm coming off as an ***, but I don't like it when people dance around the subject, because in my eyes, it's the same as lying to me.
#22 Mar 21 2011 at 10:27 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
176 posts
mattkujata wrote:
superdupernuker wrote:
Well, I tried. Can someone lock this?


Tried what?

Tried to ask a question that probably has no real answer.
____________________________

TERA looks tasty...
#23 Mar 21 2011 at 10:42 PM Rating: Excellent
Quote:
Sorry if I'm coming off as an ***, but I don't like it when people dance around the subject, because in my eyes, it's the same as lying to me.


Give the devs a break. Yoshi-P has been as direct as any game developer on the planet since taking over FFXIV.

I'm locking this thread. Now's just not an appropriate time for people to get all huffy and puffy about something so trivial. Plus, I don't see this thread turning into anything constructive, enlightening, entertaining or useful, especially under the circumstances.

Edited, Mar 21st 2011 9:45pm by Thayos
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
This thread is locked
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 19 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (19)