Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Is FFXIV Really That Bad?Follow

#102 Mar 29 2011 at 9:07 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
97 posts
seiferdincht wrote:

I also agree that N. Yoshida seems to lack vision. Everything important is decided by voting which is a sure way to end up with watered down versions of whatever they're doing.
It's pretty clear what people want from a FF game, you listed many of them. That still doesn't mean that FF games are alike. I think people are too worried that features like in XI will make XIV feel like XI. You'd need the same kind of storytelling, music, environment design and many many other aspects that simply cannot be replicated because so much of the process is based on creativity.


The Devs make the final decision. The masses just bring attention to topics to decide on.
#103 Mar 29 2011 at 11:41 AM Rating: Excellent
***
1,636 posts
seiferdincht wrote:
MclarenTAGPorsche wrote:
Yes it is.

After 6 months of a bizarre release the game has STILL almost no content, it fails horribly compared to FFXI job classes, quests, end game aspects. It became obvious that the new dev team is learning the game code, instead of taking it decrypted (thanks to our lovely tanaka) and starting to chance essential things.

Imagine a Final Fantasy XI without chocobo or airship. Imagine a Final Fantasy XI without quests. Imagine Final Fantasy without exciting jobs like Red Mages, Samurai, Ninjas, Monks, Summoners, Blue Mages, Corsairs, Dragoons.

Imagine Final Fantasy XI without any important NPC that you might care. Imagine Final Fantasy XI with 5 areas. Imagine Final Fantasy XI with areas that are copy and pasted from start to finish after 30minutes of walking.

Imagine Final Fantasy XI without Goblins, Quadavs and Ogres. Now imagine switching them for Squirrels, Black Rabbits and Coblyns (A Snipper with a funny face). Imagine FFXI with Bogy being so small that you find it cute instead of scary if you ever met it in Valkrum Dunes.


Again: Imagine a Final Fantasy Game without Chocobo.


That's Final Fantasy XIV.


This part is 100% true. Except now we have goblins.

I also agree that N. Yoshida seems to lack vision. Everything important is decided by voting which is a sure way to end up with watered down versions of whatever they're doing.
It's pretty clear what people want from a FF game, you listed many of them. That still doesn't mean that FF games are alike. I think people are too worried that features like in XI will make XIV feel like XI. You'd need the same kind of storytelling, music, environment design and many many other aspects that simply cannot be replicated because so much of the process is based on creativity.


The thing with the new dev's vision, is its not their game. They came on afterward so much was set in stone to "fix" it. I'm sure very little of what FFXIV is is how the current team would have made it to begin with. I'll bet these guys don't see it as their job right now to implement their vision, they are here to give people what they are willing to pay for. They can stretch their artistic muscles if the game ever gets an expansion.
____________________________


#104 Mar 31 2011 at 9:29 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
826 posts
Yes, FFXIV does still have the potential to be what it should have been at launch. However, and as has been said, there are two sides to the coin. Either Yoshi's team will pull out some major stops prior to the year mark of the game (and save it), or they won't...and that'll be the end of XIV.

Personally, i've sat on the sidelines, watching and waiting like many others. Even reading the update notes, there are still too many issues to be fixed, and some of the biggest are still core components of gameplay. Although it saddens me, I seriously doubt XIV will ever be more than what it is now until cancellation: a niche game that never got over its disastrous launch.

Someone else said it: no MMO has ever recovered from a failed launch.

This is very true. Plenty of failing games post-launch have recovered, such as DDO, LOTRO, etc. There are just too many other options available for people to get their fix.

Even the hardcore fanboys are done defending the game. They're on the same critical side as the rest of us now. When that happens, it's pretty much game over without a miracle.

My suggestion: go and pick up a copy of something else, seriously you won't regret it. Pass the time on it while keeping tabs on XIV and then evaluate at a later date. It still isn't ready 7 months in, and likely won't be for several more months, if at all.
____________________________
Jerri Blank (Strangers with Candy):
"I may still be doing all the wrong things, but now i'm doing them the right way!"
#105 Mar 31 2011 at 10:28 AM Rating: Good
***
1,636 posts
Dallie wrote:
My suggestion: go and pick up a copy of something else, seriously you won't regret it. Pass the time on it while keeping tabs on XIV and then evaluate at a later date. It still isn't ready 7 months in, and likely won't be for several more months, if at all.


I agree. I think that if this is their speed, they're done. I really am half hoping, but also half expecting to see 1-3 large, actually game changing (actual improvements to the core game) patches in another 6-12 months, which will end up being the make or break point. That's when "FFXIV 2.0" will come out and determine if they release on PS3 or let the game go.

____________________________


#106 Mar 31 2011 at 10:30 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
747 posts
I would disagree on a few points here, but I honestly can't. I had high enthusiasm for the game when I bought it and cancelled my account less than a week later, irate that I wasted money and time on it.

I've come back and have had a much more enjoyable time with it this time around. This is mostly due to the fact that there are people playing now who have been in since launch and understand the ins and outs of the game. In the beginning, pretty much everyone was fumbling around in the dark, now that people have figured stuff out for the rest of us it makes the game easier to enjoy because there are resources to tell you what you want to know, like say....how to level your character correctly or that pretty much everything is player made so be prepared to craft.... a lot, or have a lot of expendable income.

The UI has been sped up, but the functionality is the same. The Market Wards have a search option now, but it still leaves a LOT to be desired, but it is infinitely better than at launch with just that one simple upgrade. Other than that I haven't really noticed anything else of significance that's changed, but I'm only Physical Rank 15 with multiple jobs at ~9.

I won't sugar coat it....the game is lacking in several key areas, such as content, UI functionality and class distinction, but the game isn't "bad." The game also has an extremely slow pace compared to other games such as WoW, Rift, SWG (cringe) and Warhammer...but that's actually kind of refreshing to me. It means that it takes patience and more than just a need to feel UBER to level your character, and most of all time, which means people are more accountable and you won't find nearly as many a-holes as you would in WoW. There are worse games out there, and there are games that have all of the content this game is lacking. If you come into this game knowing what you're getting into, it really is very enjoyable....I'm enjoying it anyway.
____________________________
Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
#107 Mar 31 2011 at 3:38 PM Rating: Good
**
660 posts
Yesterday I logged into my character, did a "sidequest", let out a disappointed sighh, and logged out. It was not challenging, engaging, immersive, or fun in any way. I felt no desire to go do any levequests because they were exactly the same, with the same gameplay as the sidequests. I could craft, but I find mashing the Standard Synthesis. Button to be boring, as well as crafting in general. I've been awaiting game changing updates since Sept las year and tomorrow. Is the start of April..
____________________________


#108 Mar 31 2011 at 4:05 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
747 posts
Hot is hot...why agree to disagree on that?

But are we seriously oogling over pixelated curves when Real People exist?

Edited, Mar 31st 2011 6:06pm by Katchii
____________________________
Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
#109 Mar 31 2011 at 4:21 PM Rating: Good
*
68 posts
KujaKoF wrote:
Dallie wrote:
My suggestion: go and pick up a copy of something else, seriously you won't regret it. Pass the time on it while keeping tabs on XIV and then evaluate at a later date. It still isn't ready 7 months in, and likely won't be for several more months, if at all.


I agree. I think that if this is their speed, they're done. I really am half hoping, but also half expecting to see 1-3 large, actually game changing (actual improvements to the core game) patches in another 6-12 months, which will end up being the make or break point. That's when "FFXIV 2.0" will come out and determine if they release on PS3 or let the game go.



I must sadly agree. I can understand the set-backs due to the tsunami. I don't think anyone can argue that. But for the rest of the updates, they have all been too little, too late, and too slow.

The way the gaming market is, I can easily see this game just curling up and dieing if Yoshi-P and Co. don't pull something big out ASAP.

I'm sure most of us have read his letters, and seen his chart on what he wants to address. But those are things that should have been addressed months ago. Frankly, those are things that should have been in the game at launch. But I think that's an entirely different problem....

But if FFXIV is going to survive, I think they need to deliver on the promises they've made. Even if the patches aren't ready just yet, they need to have more communication with the player base, and tell us specifically what is going to happen. Give us something to look forward to, or a reason to be patient. It's gotten to the point that I don't even want to play anymore because I'm doubting whether the problems will ever get fixed. Although I appreciate the game being free, (wouldn't play it if it wasn't), I would still rather play a game that is fun and actually worth a subscription fee.

I'm ecstatic that Yoshi-P communicates with the player-base. It's something that SE has been notorious about over the years. But I still feel that they are holding back from us, and if they don't inspire that little bit of hope... well then, what's the point of even waiting? By the time they get the game fixed, I'll probably have something else much better to do.
#110 Apr 01 2011 at 3:22 AM Rating: Good
****
4,145 posts
Eriston wrote:
I just want an honest opinion from folks who've played FFXI like I have....not someone from IGN with little FFXI background.


You're asking for an honest but biased opinion? Anyhow, it's never a bad idea to take a review with a grain of salt but...if you took all the grains from bad reviews and put them in a body of water, Tanaka could walk across it like Jesus.

If one person tells you something is bad, you'd probably try it for yourself and find out. If there are people lined up to tell you something is bad, you can't hold it against them if you later decide you made a poor choice trying it. This works both ways and I think it's a large part of why FFXIV is so poorly received.

In my honest opinion, it isn't worth the price of the box even if there is never a subscription fee. There is little to no lore about the classes, continent or cities. There is also a severe lack of meaningful quests or missions that bring you that sense of accomplishment. Actually, the only thing I really liked from FFXI that made it into FFXIV was the ability to change your job/class at will.

I wish all of the 'honest opinions' were around during the testing phases. There were far too many fanboys in testing making excuses for why the testing was delayed, why the controls were clunky, why the interface lagged and why there were no quests or content. Most of these issues still remain and are why people are not giving FFXIV good reviews.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#111 Apr 02 2011 at 3:06 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Quote:
I wish all of the 'honest opinions' were around during the testing phases. There were far too many fanboys in testing making excuses for why the testing was delayed, why the controls were clunky, why the interface lagged and why there were no quests or content. Most of these issues still remain and are why people are not giving FFXIV good reviews.


You also have to understand that testers were told that we were experiencing only a fraction of the game and that the launch version would be totally different. Most of us thought we were there to sort out the aforementioned problems and that launch would accompany a huge content zerg. Throughout the testing, they made significant improvements to the lag and interface, so it seemed that at the pace they were going, they would be able to launch a relatively polished game with plenty of content. Only as open beta approached did it become apparent that there was a great deal wrong with the state of the finished game.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#112 Apr 02 2011 at 12:26 PM Rating: Good
****
4,145 posts
Kachi wrote:
You also have to understand that testers were told that we were experiencing only a fraction of the game and that the launch version would be totally different. Most of us thought we were there to sort out the aforementioned problems and that launch would accompany a huge content zerg.


I agree with you up to a point, but when open beta hit and things were pretty much the same, I knew it wasn't going to be good. The interface lag at that point was still ridiculous and there was no content outside of the few starter quests and repetitive guildleves. Never expect a 'zerg' or as it was referred to in FFXIV, a 'miracle patch' before launch. Any developer worth their weight would test it first. I was one of the few people pointing out the inevitable disaster that launch would be and instead of actually thinking about the events leading up to that point, most testers clung to their pom poms.


____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#113 Apr 02 2011 at 4:15 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
By that point I felt the same way; however, SE explicitly said that they were testing most of the content in-house and that testers were primarily there for feedback on the game's general systems. They gave players every reason to believe that there would be a content zerg at release, and most everyone was surprised at the lack of content by open beta. Unfortunately, it's hard to know how dire the situation is when you can't know about the late-game content until the game is live for a substantial amount of time.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#114 Apr 03 2011 at 5:34 AM Rating: Good
****
4,145 posts
Kachi wrote:
SE explicitly said that they were testing most of the content in-house and that testers were primarily there for feedback on the game's general systems.


Battle System, Synthesis and Gathering, Grouping, Questing, and the most active of the feedback sections which was User Interface. I'm not sure if you were a tester or not, but if you were and you'd read the feedback from this section then you might remember it was something like 80 or so pages of threads. From the time feedback was open up until the time they stopped requesting feedback there were very few changes made at all. From April until August the biggest change to the game was the battle system and it was a complete overhaul. The original system was so bad it would make you question how a game producer with decades of experience in RPG battle systems could have ever thought it would work.

Kachi wrote:
They gave players every reason to believe that there would be a content zerg at release, and most everyone was surprised at the lack of content by open beta.


Bolded needs citation unless you're speaking only about the few extra guildleves they added. Again, those were all just rehash of the same style guildleves we'd already seen by that point so I'd hardly call that content. The people who were rallying behind the 'miracle patch' idea were counting on much more than just a few leves. They were thinking more along the lines of transportation(airship and choco), mission style quests with much more storyline about Eorzea and her people, AH or at least AH-style functionality for the market wards and a ton more mobs and NPCs to make the world feel inhabited. This is just content and doesn't even touch on the mechanics like UI, camera control and mouse functionality that players were praying for. Stuff that is just now being introduced a year after testing started.

Based on the other few beta tests I've been in, it was pretty much accepted that what you saw in open beta minus a bit of polish(menus, options for changing settings, ect.) was what you could expect to have on release.


____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#115 Apr 03 2011 at 5:04 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,218 posts
Eriston wrote:

Is it story? Graphics? Mechanics? Fundamentally beyond repair?


There's just nothing to it that's compelling, once you get past the pretty graphics and music. They spent a lot of time and money on the artwork and animation, but seemingly no one was actually playing it at S-E to see if it was fun. The game has a distinct lack of identity and lacks any compelling, unique or clever features except for the crafting mini games.

IMO it's fundamentally beyond repair, but S-E doesn't think so, and a lot of people have high hopes.

Edited, Apr 3rd 2011 7:09pm by KarlHungis
#116 Apr 03 2011 at 5:14 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,218 posts
Kachi wrote:
By that point I felt the same way; however, SE explicitly said that they were testing most of the content in-house and that testers were primarily there for feedback on the game's general systems. They gave players every reason to believe that there would be a content zerg at release, and most everyone was surprised at the lack of content by open beta. Unfortunately, it's hard to know how dire the situation is when you can't know about the late-game content until the game is live for a substantial amount of time.


As some one who was testing the game at the end of beta and active on the forums at that time, I think almost all the the "expectations" were generated by people in the community who weren't testing. S-E never gave any indication of a massive miracle patch, it was just wishful thinking on the part of the community.

At no point during beta did they say or do anything that indicated that they understood the depth of their failure or how the game would actually be received. Most of us that were testing were very willing to let people know the truth, but we were largely shouted down by those who wished to hold out hope at any cost.
#117 Apr 04 2011 at 11:47 AM Rating: Good
For discussions sake, let's reveiw how much time they actually have to improve FFXIV.

Let's just pick arbitrary far distant time, say 3 years from now. Two full sized expansions, dozens and dozens of fixes, patches and gaemplay overhauls, battle system, class balancing, UI tweaks. New armor, new content, new areas, new Classes including Musketeer, somthing NIN, something SAM, maybe shepard. Of course Chocobos, Airships, Mail system, LS management, shared banks. Instanced and non-instanced dungeons, PvP for those who care.

3 years sound right?

My point is, after all this is done, will you play it then? You think there will be something better? Maybe, maybe not. Maybe MMO wise yes, but Japanese art and storytelling, not so much.

They may have missed the boat to make FFXIV an awesome, mainstream blockbuster of greatness. No, they surely missed THAT boat. But I think they may still have a chance at a competitive FF MMO for fans and even average gamers that is unique compared to the strikingly similar MMO's being produced for the western market.

If all the things they plan to add are added, at that point a FF fan would have to be simply stubborn to not give FFXIV a second shot. Will it ever draw average gamers after the public bashing it received? If the game is fun, actual fun, genuine universal good-times fun, it's possible.

I just think that no matter how long they take, if they manage to make FFXIV fun, it will revive. I do not think that this future is a forgone conclusion, but rather, it is still possibility.

Edited, Apr 4th 2011 1:49pm by SmashingtonWho
#118 Apr 04 2011 at 6:07 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Uh... actually I was a tester since alpha, in addition to which I read every word, no matter how obscurely reported, released by SE. My statements stand. I'm not going to dig up a citation, but at the time SE made very public statements regarding their withheld content from the game, that in-house testers were responsible for testing the actual content to keep it a surprise, and that player testers were there primarily to test the categories you just described. They made it very clear that they were giving us only enough content to test the game systems, which was reflected in the feedback they solicited.

Edited, Apr 4th 2011 10:06pm by Kachi
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#119 Apr 04 2011 at 7:03 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
554 posts
Kachi wrote:
Uh... actually I was a tester sense alpha, in addition to which I read every word, no matter how obscurely reported, released by SE. My statements stand. I'm not going to dig up a citation, but at the time SE made very public statements regarding their withheld content from the game, that in-house testers were responsible for testing the actual content to keep it a surprise, and that player testers were there primarily to test the categories you just described. They made it very clear that they were giving us only enough content to test the game systems, which was reflected in the feedback they solicited.


um... no your sugar coating things out of white knighting I was in the beta also (hence why I held back playing now until ps3), they never said anything like that. A lot of fan boys speculated on the beta boards until others took it as the truth.

Look we all want this game to succeed, but we all have to realize it was rushed out in poor condition. Blindly defending the game on theses boards only make you out to be a fool,
at the same time, constantly flaming it here wont serve a purpose. Accept it for what it is and hope it will get better. I may not play it atm but I know that from what this new guy says, it sounds like he "Gets it" from a player perspective. so I'll wait, with hope. But I see no point in sugarcoating the situation, nor bashing it like many of you. if it's good tomarrow great I'll play, if it takes a year, same... great I'll play.
#120 Apr 04 2011 at 9:33 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,636 posts
I am guilty of assuming, or wishfully thinking, that SE had more content in the release version because I could not believe that a company would release something that looked like open beta. I remember believing fully well that we had an early tester version, and they were taking our suggestions and applying it only to the release version, while barely updating our beta. Boy was I wrong.
____________________________


#121 Apr 04 2011 at 10:23 PM Rating: Good
***
2,120 posts
KujaKoF wrote:
I am guilty of assuming, or wishfully thinking, that SE had more content in the release version because I could not believe that a company would release something that looked like open beta. I remember believing fully well that we had an early tester version, and they were taking our suggestions and applying it only to the release version, while barely updating our beta. Boy was I wrong.


That's exactly what was goin' through my mind too. That they couldn't possibly package up what we were playing in closed & open beta and sell that at normal retail price. It seemed unthinkable. There just had to be more...

And I remember them mentioning in an interview about us only seeing a certain % of the full content in beta. They definitely said that. Though what that turned out to be was mostly the rest of the main storyline and the 3 quests for each class. Technically that does add up to a lot of content we didn't see in beta, but that was also misleading.
____________________________

#122 Apr 04 2011 at 11:11 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Quote:
um... no your sugar coating things out of white knighting I was in the beta also (hence why I held back playing now until ps3), they never said anything like that. A lot of fan boys speculated on the beta boards until others took it as the truth.


You were very OBVIOUSLY not here then, because the last thing I ever did for this game was be a white knight. I have been extremely critical of the game both in the tester forum and the fan fora. My feedback posts were often nearly 2-page problem reports, and I've been criticizing design aspects on the forum since before testing was even open.

So your ad hominem attack aside, yes, they did say that. Do you honestly not acknowledge the possibility that they might have said something that you just didn't read?
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#123 Apr 05 2011 at 5:58 AM Rating: Excellent
FFXIV is dead and only some serious CPR can maybe revive some of the life to it.

I was on Alpha testing, Beta testing.. I bought the collectors edition, took 3 days off from work to play the amazing Final Fantasy 14 before the "common folk"! I was devastated to find out what a pile of **** this game was back then and felt really angry about it at the time...

Then I went on a break, I didn't play for two whole months. I read updates on the forums and then after the new year I returned to FFXIV, made a new character and yes, for a bit I was quite pleasantly surprised of the minor changes that had been implemented on the game.

But now, even though I am the most casual of the casual people I feel the game has let me down AGAIN. There is nothing to do, people are disappearing, everyone seems to be botting their crafts to 50, leves are the same no matter where you go, there are no goals, no strategies... nothing that would keep me interested for longer than 5 minutes... I like the people in my linkshell, but even their company can no longer make me get excited of FFXIV.

If I was given an opportunity to now save the £40 I paid for the game I would do it in a blink of an eye. The game is not even worth the disk it comes on and I am getting very bitter about it because I wanted a new FF MMORPG.
On a daily basis I still log on and secretly wish I could have fun on it and every time I am left with a feeling of utter disappointment.
I actually installed FFXI the other day and I am planning to continue playing it for now...

FFXIV will die away if something major doesn't happen soon. I have been accused of being a fanboy on this forum before because I was such a believer of this game, but that time is now anciet history.
Square Enix is taking too long to make this game great... They really should take the game offline, do some magic and re-launch it!
____________________________

#124 Apr 05 2011 at 7:11 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,606 posts
LeilaniWildfire, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
If I was given an opportunity to now save the £40 I paid for the game I would do it in a blink of an eye. The game is not even worth the disk it comes on and I am getting very bitter about it because I wanted a new FF MMORPG.

If you paid funny L's then that should mean you at least got the 1/2 way decent collector's edition. I paid S's with vertical lines through them and received the most meh collector's edition I've bought thus far. Stupid certificate that I can hang on my wall. Think it finally arrived in the mail a month or two ago. That was such junk that it made the experience even worse. Didn't throw it away out of principle but it sure isn't going to be seeing the light of day anytime soon.

Edited, Apr 5th 2011 9:11am by MrTalos
#125 Apr 05 2011 at 7:32 AM Rating: Good
MrTalos wrote:

If you paid funny L's then that should mean you at least got the 1/2 way decent collector's edition. I paid S's with vertical lines through them and received the most meh collector's edition I've bought thus far. Stupid certificate that I can hang on my wall. Think it finally arrived in the mail a month or two ago. That was such junk that it made the experience even worse. Didn't throw it away out of principle but it sure isn't going to be seeing the light of day anytime soon.

Edited, Apr 5th 2011 9:11am by MrTalos


Oh I forgot about my pen holder! Yes, the cup is nice... the most expensive cup I have ever bought however...
____________________________

#126 Apr 05 2011 at 6:06 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
554 posts
Kachi wrote:
Quote:
um... no your sugar coating things out of white knighting I was in the beta also (hence why I held back playing now until ps3), they never said anything like that. A lot of fan boys speculated on the beta boards until others took it as the truth.


You were very OBVIOUSLY not here then, because the last thing I ever did for this game was be a white knight. I have been extremely critical of the game both in the tester forum and the fan fora. My feedback posts were often nearly 2-page problem reports, and I've been criticizing design aspects on the forum since before testing was even open.

So your ad hominem attack aside, yes, they did say that. Do you honestly not acknowledge the possibility that they might have said something that you just didn't read?


No they didn't the made very vague statements that everyone speculated on until people took it as fact. Try grabbing twenty people, tell something to the first then tell them to pass it on down the line, then ask the 20th person what was said. Your pretty much guaranteed to get a different response then the one you started.
#127 Apr 05 2011 at 7:04 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,606 posts
Devildawgs wrote:
Try grabbing twenty people, tell something to the first then tell them to pass it on down the line, then ask the 20th person what was said. Your pretty much guaranteed to get a different response then the one you started.

It's called telephone (what we called it at least). It's a children's game I played long ago.
I've no idea what was officially said but I remember in open beta whenever someone mentioned something they were afraid was missing in the game someone would always say how SE was holding some things back. No clue if something was ever said by SE.

Could have just as easily been someone naturally assuming that a big name company like SE would NEVER release a game in that condition.
#128 Apr 05 2011 at 8:13 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
554 posts
MrTalos wrote:
Devildawgs wrote:
Try grabbing twenty people, tell something to the first then tell them to pass it on down the line, then ask the 20th person what was said. Your pretty much guaranteed to get a different response then the one you started.

It's called telephone (what we called it at least). It's a children's game I played long ago.
I've no idea what was officially said but I remember in open beta whenever someone mentioned something they were afraid was missing in the game someone would always say how SE was holding some things back. No clue if something was ever said by SE.

Could have just as easily been someone naturally assuming that a big name company like SE would NEVER release a game in that condition.


Bingo!
#129 Apr 05 2011 at 9:53 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
*
63 posts
MclarenTAGPorsche wrote:
Imagine a Final Fantasy XI without chocobo or airship.
The dev team has already said they're coming. They just haven't been implemented yet. I fully expect them to be here before the PS3 release.

It's disappointing that they're not implemented yet, but I doubt that will be a problem for the OP, since he won't be playing until PS3 release.

Quote:
Imagine Final Fantasy XI with 5 areas.
Well, this is just silly.

Leaving aside the 3 city-states (which are "areas" themselves), there are La Noscea, Thanalan, the Black Shroud, Coerthas, and Mor Dhona. Each of those zones is huge compared to anything in FFXI. Mclaren apparently considers them one area because there are no load screens between the areas. That's generally considered a good thing.

But the truth is that each zone contains several "areas." For example, here's a map of Thanalan. See how the single "zone" of Thanalan is actually divided into Central, Eastern, Western, Northern, and Southern areas? Those are actually different areas. Each of those smaller areas has caves and crevices within the area, interior and exterior areas, and hills and cliffs that form higher and lower areas. See the blocky dark areas around Nophica's Wells in Western Thanalan? Those are mesas, and they're hollow, so you can run inside them and fight mobs in there. See the dark splotches around Footfalls in Western Thanalan? That aetheryte, and all those dark splotches, are actually an entire area that's below the ground level. And see the dot on the Eastern edge of Western Thanalan saying "to Copperbell Mines"? That's an entrance to additional area. Thanalan has (at least) two of those: Nanawa Mines and Copperbell Mines.

All of the five zones have several "areas" within the zones. So it's not just 5 areas. It's 5 zones, containing dozens of areas.

Quote:
Imagine Final Fantasy XI with areas that are copy and pasted from start to finish after 30minutes of walking.
I realize this is a pretty common complaint. But I have to admit, I never noticed the copy pasting until I saw videos pointing it out. It still doesn't bother me. There's plenty of variety in the areas. And typically, the things that are copied and pasted are details within the areas: rocks, trees, bushes, torches, etc.

Considering that you're coming from FFXI, I think you'll find the environments to be a significant upgrade. The vistas and views are really pretty. For example, here's a screen shot taken of Coerthas from in the game. Here's another shot of a group of players out in Thanalan. If that's not good enough, then I doubt that you're going to be impressed by any MMO.

Quote:
Imagine Final Fantasy XI without Goblins, Quadavs and Ogres. Now imagine switching them for Squirrels, Black Rabbits and Coblyns (A Snipper with a funny face).
No goblins or ogres? Seriously? Have you played FFXIV?

I wonder what that thing was that killed me. I mean, it was called a Headrip Ogre, but I guess that must not be an actual ogre. I wonder what drops these Ogre Horns. Must be a squirrel?

And no goblins? Someone better tell Zam they need to delete these entries from their mob wikis: goblin thug, goblin freesword, goblin butcher, goblin bouncer, goblin mugger, goblin headman, goblin braggadocio. I wonder what mob drops this broken goblin scimitar or this goblin mask. Maybe a rabbit? And I feel like one of the NMs is supposed to be a goblin. It sure looked like one. But I guess that can't be true.

Quote:
Imagine FFXI with Bogy being so small that you find it cute instead of scary if you ever met it in Valkrum Dunes.
You'll be happy to know that, a couple months ago, the devs increased mob sizes. Bogies are big now. Very big. Bigger than my character, which is a tall Highlander Hyur.

Obviously, no amount of talking is going to get Mclaren to come running back to the game. Just like some people love Rift, and others don't like it, some people are just not going to like FFXIV. And that's fine. There's plenty to criticize right now. I don't know anyone who's totally satisfied with every aspect of FFXIV. The most common complaint I hear is about the lack of content. I think that's a valid criticism. But I do know a lot of people are still having fun.

So no, I don't think FFXIV is really that bad. The criticisms you hear often relate to the game back in October. This game has already changed significantly, and it will probably change a lot more before it's released on the PS3. The devs have been talking about some major changes: to job abilities, class balancing, adding new content, (possibly) getting rid of physical levels and stat point allocation, and reworking maps.

So the truth is that I'm not sure what the game will be like in 6 months. I suspect that even the dev team isn't sure what changes are in store, since they seem to still be figuring out what they're going to change.

I'm hopeful that the game will be better before then. I like what they've got now, I just want more of it.
#130 Apr 05 2011 at 11:01 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Quote:
No they didn't the made very vague statements that everyone speculated on until people took it as fact. Try grabbing twenty people, tell something to the first then tell them to pass it on down the line, then ask the 20th person what was said. Your pretty much guaranteed to get a different response then the one you started.


No, they gave a percentage of the amount of content that was in the alpha/beta (a very low amount, no more than 20%), and stated explicitly in emails to the testers what their role was in the testing. In a later Q&A, they explained that they had in-house testers for the remaining content.

I guarantee you, I hung on every word out of SE's mouth. This was not some misinterpretation on my part-- that you don't know this information just means that either your memory isn't that good, or you never heard it.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#131 Apr 06 2011 at 4:23 AM Rating: Excellent
****
4,145 posts
Kachi wrote:
I'm not going to dig up a citation, but at the time SE made very public statements regarding their withheld content from the game, that in-house testers were responsible for testing the actual content to keep it a surprise, and that player testers were there primarily to test the categories you just described. They made it very clear that they were giving us only enough content to test the game systems, which was reflected in the feedback they solicited.


The content zerg was a result of the 'miracle patch' rah rah. I do not dispute that content was withheld from testing. The fact of the matter is that beyond that testing content, there really wasn't much else they had ready for release due to the issues they had. You'll remember the beta started over a month late and was littered with client problems and server stability issues right up to launch. A majority of the testers were torrenting the client for each other because the downloader didn't even deliver the client updates and patches properly.

Weeks after launch Tanaka even said that they basically ignored the feedback they were given and were not focused on bringing content into the game during testing.

Tanaka interview with Eurogamer wrote:
The development team should have focused on shaping up the game during the beta process, but we were really concentrating on de-bugging the game and fixing all the bugs – that's one of the reasons why we were not able to have all the requests implemented during the beta process. ...the development team is working really hard to bring it back to the level we planned to have ready for the players [at launch].


Saying that a game is x% complete means nothing with MMO games. By nature, they're never really complete until they go offline. Tanaka and Komoto even disagreed in that interview about how complete and how ready the game was for release...

Famitsu interview with Tanaka and Komoto wrote:
Komoto: With the start of the alpha test, we start to look at character growth, expanding the world, quests and more. Looking at the alpha as it is now, there's less than 10% of the game available.

Tanaka: As for the progression of development, a conservative estimate would be 65%. (laughs)


However you interpret that, you still should have seen this coming from a mile away. 65% developed after 5 years with a launch date roughly 5 months away? At least they were telling the truth. Oh, wait..





Edited, Apr 6th 2011 6:26am by FilthMcNasty
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#132 Apr 06 2011 at 7:06 AM Rating: Excellent
VydarrTyr wrote:

Quote:
Imagine Final Fantasy XI without Goblins, Quadavs and Ogres. Now imagine switching them for Squirrels, Black Rabbits and Coblyns (A Snipper with a funny face).
No goblins or ogres? Seriously? Have you played FFXIV?

I wonder what that thing was that killed me. I mean, it was called a Headrip Ogre, but I guess that must not be an actual ogre. I wonder what drops these Ogre Horns. Must be a squirrel?

And no goblins? Someone better tell Zam they need to delete these entries from their mob wikis: goblin thug, goblin freesword, goblin butcher, goblin bouncer, goblin mugger, goblin headman, goblin braggadocio. I wonder what mob drops this broken goblin scimitar or this goblin mask. Maybe a rabbit? And I feel like one of the NMs is supposed to be a goblin. It sure looked like one. But I guess that can't be true.

Quote:
Imagine FFXI with Bogy being so small that you find it cute instead of scary if you ever met it in Valkrum Dunes.
You'll be happy to know that, a couple months ago, the devs increased mob sizes. Bogies are big now. Very big. Bigger than my character, which is a tall Highlander Hyur.


I have to point out something about this now...
Ogres, Goblins etc. beastman hasn't really been implemented in 14...
Yes they are there but at the moment you don't actually have anything to do with them.
I feel the Goblins actually were brought in to the game for the sake of posts like this ... so people who live in obvious denial can come and say "LOOK, they DO have goblins!"
____________________________

#133 Apr 06 2011 at 7:16 AM Rating: Decent
***
2,202 posts
Why are you guys arguing ? The game was bad, is bad, and will be bad until god knows when <.< let it die lol
____________________________
MUTED
#134 Apr 06 2011 at 8:23 AM Rating: Good
***
1,636 posts
Kachi wrote:
Quote:
No they didn't the made very vague statements that everyone speculated on until people took it as fact. Try grabbing twenty people, tell something to the first then tell them to pass it on down the line, then ask the 20th person what was said. Your pretty much guaranteed to get a different response then the one you started.


No, they gave a percentage of the amount of content that was in the alpha/beta (a very low amount, no more than 20%), and stated explicitly in emails to the testers what their role was in the testing. In a later Q&A, they explained that they had in-house testers for the remaining content.

I guarantee you, I hung on every word out of SE's mouth. This was not some misinterpretation on my part-- that you don't know this information just means that either your memory isn't that good, or you never heard it.


they said alpha was about 20% of the game. Which I guess fits a loose definition, as alpha was only one of 5 zones released, but it was still about 70% of the game, gameplay wise.
____________________________


#135 Apr 06 2011 at 8:46 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
*
63 posts
LeilaniWildfire, Goblin in Disguise wrote:

I have to point out something about this now...
Ogres, Goblins etc. beastman hasn't really been implemented in 14...
Yes they are there but at the moment you don't actually have anything to do with them.
I feel the Goblins actually were brought in to the game for the sake of posts like this ... so people who live in obvious denial can come and say "LOOK, they DO have goblins!"

I'm confused.

There's no question that goblins and ogres are in the game.

And one of the NMs is a goblin (and he's accompanied by a gang of goblins, so you have to fight them all). Some of the faction leves require you to fight goblins.

So even assuming that Mclaren had said that goblins and ogres were in the game, but weren't really implemented (which is not at all what he said), I can't figure out how they're not implemented.

Can you explain to me -- slowly, because I'm obviously in denial :P -- how they're not implemented? The word "implemented" must mean something different to you.
#136 Apr 06 2011 at 8:53 AM Rating: Excellent
VydarrTyr wrote:
LeilaniWildfire, Goblin in Disguise wrote:

I have to point out something about this now...
Ogres, Goblins etc. beastman hasn't really been implemented in 14...
Yes they are there but at the moment you don't actually have anything to do with them.
I feel the Goblins actually were brought in to the game for the sake of posts like this ... so people who live in obvious denial can come and say "LOOK, they DO have goblins!"

I'm confused.

There's no question that goblins and ogres are in the game.

And one of the NMs is a goblin (and he's accompanied by a gang of goblins, so you have to fight them all). Some of the faction leves require you to fight goblins.

So even assuming that Mclaren had said that goblins and ogres were in the game, but weren't really implemented (which is not at all what he said), I can't figure out how they're not implemented.

Can you explain to me -- slowly, because I'm obviously in denial :P -- how they're not implemented? The word "implemented" must mean something different to you.


Did you ever play FFXI? - The beastmen had a huge role in pretty much everything...
I don't think one Ogre strolling around near Camp Horizon is being part of the game nor a few goblins (even if one is a NM) in a levequest is really having beastmen in the game.
Yes yes, I know there are more Ogre's in Mor Dhona but besides random exploration, do you actually have any reason to go to that area?
____________________________

#137 Apr 06 2011 at 8:53 AM Rating: Excellent
***
1,636 posts
VydarrTyr wrote:
LeilaniWildfire, Goblin in Disguise wrote:

I have to point out something about this now...
Ogres, Goblins etc. beastman hasn't really been implemented in 14...
Yes they are there but at the moment you don't actually have anything to do with them.
I feel the Goblins actually were brought in to the game for the sake of posts like this ... so people who live in obvious denial can come and say "LOOK, they DO have goblins!"

I'm confused.

There's no question that goblins and ogres are in the game.

And one of the NMs is a goblin (and he's accompanied by a gang of goblins, so you have to fight them all). Some of the faction leves require you to fight goblins.

So even assuming that Mclaren had said that goblins and ogres were in the game, but weren't really implemented (which is not at all what he said), I can't figure out how they're not implemented.

Can you explain to me -- slowly, because I'm obviously in denial :P -- how they're not implemented? The word "implemented" must mean something different to you.


I can throw my $.02 in here. FFXI had beastmen with cities, strongholds, camps. Some were on the boarders of our towns, some had their own little areas they were in control of. They were immersed in the game world, they felt like a real part of it. Goblins in a sense were more interesting, because they patrolled the world looking for things to kill much in the same ways that the players did.

in FFXIV, there are goblins and beastmen standing around because someone said "hey we don't have goblins, whats up with that" and someone at SE said "Oh crap, they are right, someone spawn some goblins around".

Edited, Apr 6th 2011 10:54am by KujaKoF
____________________________


#138 Apr 06 2011 at 9:05 AM Rating: Decent
*
176 posts
LeilaniWildfire, Goblin in Disguise wrote:

Yes yes, I know there are more Ogre's in Mor Dhona but besides random exploration, do you actually have any reason to go to that area?


Rank 36 mission.

Edited, Apr 6th 2011 9:05am by superdupernuker
____________________________


#139 Apr 06 2011 at 9:09 AM Rating: Good
superdupernuker wrote:
LeilaniWildfire, Goblin in Disguise wrote:

Yes yes, I know there are more Ogre's in Mor Dhona but besides random exploration, do you actually have any reason to go to that area?


Rank 36 mission.

Edited, Apr 6th 2011 9:05am by superdupernuker


Oh wow... quick, let me get my rank 36 fast so I can go do that one quest that actually takes me to a new area with some beastmen...

Omg... I am turning into a troll, please forgive me lmao.
____________________________

#140 Apr 06 2011 at 9:28 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
63 posts
KujaKoF wrote:
I can throw my $.02 in here. FFXI had beastmen with cities, strongholds, camps. Some were on the boarders of our towns, some had their own little areas they were in control of. They were immersed in the game world, they felt like a real part of it. Goblins in a sense were more interesting, because they patrolled the world looking for things to kill much in the same ways that the players did.

in FFXIV, there are goblins and beastmen standing around because someone said "hey we don't have goblins, whats up with that" and someone at SE said "Oh crap, they are right, someone spawn some goblins around".
I appreciate your two cents. (Sincerely. Not being sarcastic.)

I agree XI had a neat dynamic in that way.

Does it change your opinion to know that an NM is a goblin, and factions leves involve goblins? (There's also some story about goblins disappearing for a little while, then inexplicably reappearing. Which admittedly may be SE's lazy way of explaining why there are no more goblin camps.)

And unless I've missed something, they don't have squirrel strongholds, cities, or camps. Because the whole point of Mclaren's statement was that coblyns, squirrels, and rabbits have replaced goblins and ogres. (Not trying to suggest that you're responsible for what Mclaren said, just wondering if I'm missing something in what Leliani said.)
#141 Apr 06 2011 at 9:47 AM Rating: Excellent
***
1,636 posts
VydarrTyr wrote:
KujaKoF wrote:
I can throw my $.02 in here. FFXI had beastmen with cities, strongholds, camps. Some were on the boarders of our towns, some had their own little areas they were in control of. They were immersed in the game world, they felt like a real part of it. Goblins in a sense were more interesting, because they patrolled the world looking for things to kill much in the same ways that the players did.

in FFXIV, there are goblins and beastmen standing around because someone said "hey we don't have goblins, whats up with that" and someone at SE said "Oh crap, they are right, someone spawn some goblins around".
I appreciate your two cents. (Sincerely. Not being sarcastic.)

I agree XI had a neat dynamic in that way.

Does it change your opinion to know that an NM is a goblin, and factions leves involve goblins? (There's also some story about goblins disappearing for a little while, then inexplicably reappearing. Which admittedly may be SE's lazy way of explaining why there are no more goblin camps.)

And unless I've missed something, they don't have squirrel strongholds, cities, or camps. Because the whole point of Mclaren's statement was that coblyns, squirrels, and rabbits have replaced goblins and ogres. (Not trying to suggest that you're responsible for what Mclaren said, just wondering if I'm missing something in what Leliani said.)


I couldn't speak for leliani of course, but personally the issue for me is that its all just a poorly laid out afterthought. Its cool theres a goblin NM and faction leve, but the lack of them and other beastmen throughout the world is still noticeable, and the experience is hurt for it. They didn't design a world, they designed 5 regions, and then filled them with random mobs they came up with.

to me, its not just black and white, not just having goblins period is good and not having them makes it bad. I want a world thats got something going on, give us threats at all levels. Give us some atmosphere. I keep seeing people say theres no beastmen, no beastmen camps etc, and then I see someone reply with "oh there is, you need to go to this one cave in this one area, theres totally a camp". Why aren't there more. Why is it that I'm rank 20, and I've done some pretty decent exploring around each of the first 3 regions, and I've seen exactly 1 beastmen.
____________________________


#142 Apr 06 2011 at 9:53 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
63 posts
LeilaniWildfire, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Did you ever play FFXI?
Yes.
Quote:
- The beastmen had a huge role in pretty much everything...
And now you're saying that squirrels, rabbbits, and coblyns have taken over the role of beastmen in FFXIV? That can't be what you're saying. Surely, that's not what you're saying.
Quote:
I don't think one Ogre strolling around near Camp Horizon is being part of the game nor a few goblins (even if one is a NM) in a levequest is really having beastmen in the game.
I never said that there were beastmen in the game. I said there were goblins and ogres in the game. And then you said they weren't really in the game, and I was in denial.
Quote:
Yes yes, I know there are more Ogre's in Mor Dhona but besides random exploration, do you actually have any reason to go to that area?
Yes. In addition to exploration -- which believe it or not, I think can be kind of fun -- there are storyline quests, NMs, grinding, and farming. You may not have ever been to Mor Dhona -- and shame on you if you're saying there's no reason to go there if you've never been there -- but the mobs there are higher level. So a higher level party can go there to have some fun, get some good SP, and fight some challenging mobs.

But again, I'm not sure how you can say they're not in the game, when you admit that they're in the game. If you want there to be more of them, or for them to be more involved in the storyline quest, that's one thing. If that's what you want, then fine. I'm not going to argue with you about whether mobs should be organized as beastmen. I think that would be a fun addition.

But that's not what you said, and that's not what Mclaren said. And yet for making the factually accurate statement that ogres and goblins are in the game, you say that I'm in denial. I'm just trying to figure out what I'm in denial about. Care to elaborate?
#143 Apr 06 2011 at 9:55 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
63 posts
KujaKoF wrote:
I couldn't speak for leliani of course, but personally the issue for me is that its all just a poorly laid out afterthought. Its cool theres a goblin NM and faction leve, but the lack of them and other beastmen throughout the world is still noticeable, and the experience is hurt for it. They didn't design a world, they designed 5 regions, and then filled them with random mobs they came up with.

to me, its not just black and white, not just having goblins period is good and not having them makes it bad. I want a world thats got something going on, give us threats at all levels. Give us some atmosphere. I keep seeing people say theres no beastmen, no beastmen camps etc, and then I see someone reply with "oh there is, you need to go to this one cave in this one area, theres totally a camp". Why aren't there more. Why is it that I'm rank 20, and I've done some pretty decent exploring around each of the first 3 regions, and I've seen exactly 1 beastmen.

That's totally fair. Can't disagree with you. The lack of engaging content is one of my big complaints, too. (And thanks for the response.)
#144 Apr 06 2011 at 10:02 AM Rating: Excellent
****
7,106 posts
Quote:
I can throw my $.02 in here. FFXI had beastmen with cities, strongholds, camps. Some were on the boarders of our towns, some had their own little areas they were in control of. They were immersed in the game world, they felt like a real part of it. Goblins in a sense were more interesting, because they patrolled the world looking for things to kill much in the same ways that the players did.

While this is all true, by this logic rarabs were never implemented in FFXI. The beastmen were a major element of the FFXI world. It's true that they're not nearly as important to FFXIV, but that's a plot point more than anything else. I feel like it's reasonable to complain that FFXIV ignores so many of FFXI's gameplay features, but I don't think it's reasonable to complain that FFXIV doesn't have the same story.
#145 Apr 06 2011 at 10:17 AM Rating: Good
Well, I think my point has come across already.

For me the goblins and ogres that are in FFXIV is just a poor attempt (for the moment) to please the people that play(ed) FFXI. Like KujaKoF has mentioned in his (probably better written) comments the amount of these monsters is not that great... especially to anyone lower than 50.

If a person, who has not played FFXIV yet asks if there was goblins and ogres in this game you told that "yes there are, there is an NM and leves with gobs in it and then there is this area full of good exp spots with ogres.." the person would get a completely wrong image of this game.

When you log on ffxiv, even if you explore quite a bit ... EVEN if you level to 34 (yes, past half way to the level cap) you will not come across any goblins or ogres (well besides the random Ogre I mentioned before)
The fact that you can go kill some monsters in Mor Dhona once you hit the magical level of 50 shouldn't be something that finally reveals some "fun" content... which I can already assume runs dry very quickly.

If you don't get the point why it feels that Ogres and Goblins hasn't really been implemented as such, then please go on and live in your fantasy world where the content around goblins and ogres actually pleases someone.

Oh and btw, I didn't actually say anything about squirrels etc. maybe that was a response to someone else with my quote.. not sure. And what comes to going to Mor Dhona... yes, I was probably one of the first people to walk through that area (on the 1st week of getting the game in September) but I don't really have a reason to go there again since my highest level is 34 and so far the only stuff I kill is goats, wolfs, squirrels and coblyns... lol ... Now let me think what mobs had I killed in FFXI when I was 34.... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
____________________________

#146 Apr 06 2011 at 10:39 AM Rating: Excellent
***
1,636 posts
Caesura wrote:
Quote:
I can throw my $.02 in here. FFXI had beastmen with cities, strongholds, camps. Some were on the boarders of our towns, some had their own little areas they were in control of. They were immersed in the game world, they felt like a real part of it. Goblins in a sense were more interesting, because they patrolled the world looking for things to kill much in the same ways that the players did.

While this is all true, by this logic rarabs were never implemented in FFXI. The beastmen were a major element of the FFXI world. It's true that they're not nearly as important to FFXIV, but that's a plot point more than anything else. I feel like it's reasonable to complain that FFXIV ignores so many of FFXI's gameplay features, but I don't think it's reasonable to complain that FFXIV doesn't have the same story.


I completely get what you're saying here, and my response is that its a much crappier story/setting because of it. Our world is basically 3 cities, a bunch of wildlife, and our people on a day to day basis go kill wildlife that ranges from non-mildly threatening for fun/profit. Yes there is a threatening empire somewhere that we cannot get to, leading me to believe that they can't exactly get to us either so its not time to care yet. My point wasnt that I <3 beastmen and we need them, my point was that FFXI had oppressors and a theme, and FFXIV doesn't (unless the theme is BSing around killing things that don't really need to be killed).
____________________________


#147 Apr 06 2011 at 10:49 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
*
63 posts
LeilaniWildfire, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
If a person, who has not played FFXIV yet asks if there was goblins and ogres in this game you told that "yes there are, there is an NM and leves with gobs in it and then there is this area full of good exp spots with ogres.." the person would get a completely wrong image of this game.
No, they would get an accurate picture of the game. Because "There is an NM and leves with gobs in it and there is this area full of good exp spots with ogres." Those statements are accurate. They would only get a completely wrong picture of the game if you said something completely wrong.
Quote:
When you log on ffxiv, even if you explore quite a bit ... EVEN if you level to 34 (yes, past half way to the level cap) you will not come across any goblins or ogres (well besides the random Ogre I mentioned before)
No. There are camps of gobbies in Thanalan and Cassiopiea Hollow around level 30, and which you can start fighting in your 20s. And there are camps of gobbies in the Black Shroud, especially around the level 40 camps, and which you can start fighting in your 30s.
Quote:
If you don't get the point why it feels that Ogres and Goblins hasn't really been implemented as such, then please go on and live in your fantasy world where the content around goblins and ogres actually pleases someone.
You don't see the irony here? I'm in "obvious denial" because I think there are goblins and ogres in the game. And I'm "living in a fantasy world" where some people like the game. Both of those statements are accurate. So which one of us is in "obvious denial" and "living in a fantasy world"?
Quote:
Oh and btw, I didn't actually say anything about squirrels etc. maybe that was a response to someone else with my quote.. not sure.
I was responding to Mclaren who said that goblins and ogres weren't in the game and had been replaced by squirrels, rabbits, and coblyns. When I disagreed, you said that I was in denial. I'm still confused as to how I could have been in denial when I was just saying things that were factually, verifiably accurate. Are you saying that you accused me of being in denial without actually reading what I said? If so, /frowny face.
#148 Apr 06 2011 at 10:51 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
63 posts
KujaKoF wrote:
Yes there is a threatening empire somewhere that we cannot get to, leading me to believe that they can't exactly get to us either so its not time to care yet.

Ok. This made me laugh. Nicely put.
#149 Apr 06 2011 at 11:47 AM Rating: Decent
VydarrTyr wrote:
LeilaniWildfire, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
If a person, who has not played FFXIV yet asks if there was goblins and ogres in this game you told that "yes there are, there is an NM and leves with gobs in it and then there is this area full of good exp spots with ogres.." the person would get a completely wrong image of this game.
No, they would get an accurate picture of the game. Because "There is an NM and leves with gobs in it and there is this area full of good exp spots with ogres." Those statements are accurate. They would only get a completely wrong picture of the game if you said something completely wrong.
Quote:
When you log on ffxiv, even if you explore quite a bit ... EVEN if you level to 34 (yes, past half way to the level cap) you will not come across any goblins or ogres (well besides the random Ogre I mentioned before)
No. There are camps of gobbies in Thanalan and Cassiopiea Hollow around level 30, and which you can start fighting in your 20s. And there are camps of gobbies in the Black Shroud, especially around the level 40 camps, and which you can start fighting in your 30s.
Quote:
If you don't get the point why it feels that Ogres and Goblins hasn't really been implemented as such, then please go on and live in your fantasy world where the content around goblins and ogres actually pleases someone.
You don't see the irony here? I'm in "obvious denial" because I think there are goblins and ogres in the game. And I'm "living in a fantasy world" where some people like the game. Both of those statements are accurate. So which one of us is in "obvious denial" and "living in a fantasy world"?
Quote:
Oh and btw, I didn't actually say anything about squirrels etc. maybe that was a response to someone else with my quote.. not sure.
I was responding to Mclaren who said that goblins and ogres weren't in the game and had been replaced by squirrels, rabbits, and coblyns. When I disagreed, you said that I was in denial. I'm still confused as to how I could have been in denial when I was just saying things that were factually, verifiably accurate. Are you saying that you accused me of being in denial without actually reading what I said? If so, /frowny face.


lol, someone got their knickers on a twist
____________________________

#150 Apr 06 2011 at 2:02 PM Rating: Good
*
117 posts
I just picked this game up Monday. It was $20 brand new at Gamestop and has no monthly charge, so I had little excuse as a die hard FF fan to not get this to at least TRY the game.

So far, I don't think it is a bad game. The problem is that it isn't a good game (yet?). The only thing to do in this game is farm mats, craft, and grind dailies. Kind of lacking but I hope they come up with some stuff to do soon.
#151 Apr 06 2011 at 2:50 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
747 posts
Now that you bring it up, the lack of an ever present danger, like the beastmen in FFXI, makes this game really bland.

Granted, I'm only level 18, so I haven't done much in the way of exploring or mob fighting, but in looking around the map I'm not seeing enemy bases or strongholds or "I CAN'T WAIT TO GO THERE!" zones that really pull you in due to what's there...other than pretty scenery and higher level mobs (which you're kind of forced to pursue as you level, so it's a NEED not a WANT).

I just see a map with lots of space and random mobs with no real connection between any of them.
____________________________
Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 19 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (19)