Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Has a major MMORPG died before?Follow

#1 Mar 28 2011 at 8:21 AM Rating: Good
16 posts
I've gone through several forums and have read predictions of, "FF14 will die by ____ time". My question is, how often is the plug pulled on MMORPGs? I recently saw an add for the original Everquest, which played a part in prompting this question.

P.S. I personally believe that FF14 will be just fine.
#2 Mar 28 2011 at 8:25 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Depends on what you consider death, I guess, but yes, they "die" all the time in the sense that they retain only a tiny playerbase and the developers chalk up the game as a financial loss.

Generally after they die, they return from the afterlife as F2P games because money can still be squeezed out of them.

Edited, Mar 28th 2011 7:25am by Kachi
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#3 Mar 28 2011 at 8:32 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
2,045 posts
They are banking on PS3 currently, if that fails they will have to either sell it for FTP, try to run it FTP themselves, offer some kind of FFXI bundle package or possibly they will wash their hands of it and close it. Normal businesses don't do this cause you can make decent money selling the game on to other companies but Square do things their own way...even if they lose money. If it was sold ofc they would have to change the name..and possibly a lot of other things to avoid copyright problems.
____________________________
BANNED
#4 Mar 28 2011 at 8:38 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
12,705 posts
Well, based on people FFXI died in:

2003
2004
2005
2006
2007
2008
2009 (especially 2009 cheaters figured they were the reason XI was alive)
2010
2011

So I don't think MMORPGs ever "die", just people wanting an excuse to move on.
____________________________

#5 Mar 28 2011 at 8:57 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
preludes wrote:
They are banking on PS3 currently, if that fails they will have to either sell it for FTP, try to run it FTP themselves, offer some kind of FFXI bundle package or possibly they will wash their hands of it and close it. Normal businesses don't do this cause you can make decent money selling the game on to other companies but Square do things their own way...even if they lose money. If it was sold ofc they would have to change the name..and possibly a lot of other things to avoid copyright problems.


If they decided to wash their hands of it, they'd probably just sell it to gamepot like they did with Fantasy Earth Zero (their first failed MMO). Don't think there's anything really complicated about that-- no name changes or anything.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#6 Mar 28 2011 at 9:30 AM Rating: Good
***
3,530 posts
Kachi wrote:
Generally after they die, they return from the afterlife as F2P games because money can still be squeezed out of them.


Just like our Lord, Jesus Christ.
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#7 Mar 28 2011 at 9:57 AM Rating: Good
**
557 posts
A few have.
____________________________


#8 Mar 28 2011 at 10:33 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
KaneKitty wrote:
Kachi wrote:
Generally after they die, they return from the afterlife as F2P games because money can still be squeezed out of them.


Just like our Lord, Jesus Christ.


Who proved that abstinence is actually only 99.99999% effective.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#9 Mar 28 2011 at 10:48 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*****
12,705 posts
yfaithfully wrote:
A few have.


Quite a bit of them weren't major (AAA?) MMOs. Gunster was fun though, but some of the closings proves it's not always the game itself at fault, however I know a few of those were handed over to other companies and are in service today usually renamed.
____________________________

#10 Mar 28 2011 at 11:04 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
812 posts
KaneKitty wrote:
Kachi wrote:
Generally after they die, they return from the afterlife as F2P games because money can still be squeezed out of them.


Just like our Lord, Jesus Christ.

and zombies, or even Zombie Jesus!
____________________________
Abaddon Active Player Roster
- All your Fabul Sever are belong to us! -


#11 Mar 28 2011 at 9:24 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
61 posts
Just read this on the few link above. It gave me a little shock. I've never played Asheron's Call 2. Does anyone know the history of it? It would be interesting to see if these game are really similar. Could this be FFXIV's fate?

"Asheron's Call 2 - Fantasy MMO with great graphics for its time and an interesting music system. Was plagued by lack of initial content and bugs."

edit: added more text.

Edited, Mar 28th 2011 11:28pm by Kargara
#12 Mar 28 2011 at 9:34 PM Rating: Decent
16 posts
That link was certainly eye opening! I was surprised to see several games that I recognized previous adds for.
#13 Mar 28 2011 at 10:02 PM Rating: Good
Guru
Avatar
**
937 posts
The Matrix Online? I'm not sure if it could be considered AAA or not, but I remember it being fairly popular before it closed down.
____________________________
Tijet - Rank 10 Windurst
PLD99 SCH99 DRG80 SMN81
Server: Lakshmi
#14 Mar 28 2011 at 11:05 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
There was definitely a lot of hype for Matrix Online before it ultimately bombed.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#15 Mar 28 2011 at 11:17 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,707 posts
AtarashiGamer wrote:
That link was certainly eye opening! I was surprised to see several games that I recognized previous adds for.


What link are you guys referring to??? You have me interested now, but I don't see a relevant link.
#16 Mar 28 2011 at 11:17 PM Rating: Good
**
429 posts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APB_%282010_video_game%29

Everything about that game's launch was near identical to FFXIV's. Well, aside from SE having deep, deep pockets.
#17 Mar 28 2011 at 11:24 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,004 posts
i'm surprised APB hasn't been said yet. if i recall, APB was one of the worst flops in the history of MMO.

it is going to be revived though since the ip has been sold, not sure if p2p or cash shop yet.

edit: heh barely beaten to the punch :(

Edited, Mar 29th 2011 1:25am by Keysofgaruda
#18 Mar 28 2011 at 11:58 PM Rating: Good
**
568 posts
KaneKitty wrote:
Kachi wrote:
Generally after they die, they return from the afterlife as F2P games because money can still be squeezed out of them.


Just like our Lord, Jesus Christ.


XD oh dear god that was genius!

I have to say this thread does give me hope as there's actually very few relevant examples. APB is coming back and the reason it died was that the company was bankrupt before the game even hit the selves. Wasn't there a Star Wars thing that tanked though? You'd think that there's enough SW zealots to fund anything.

Edited, Mar 29th 2011 2:04am by seiferdincht

Edited thrice due to retarded writing skillz!

Edited, Mar 29th 2011 2:05am by seiferdincht
#19 Mar 29 2011 at 1:15 AM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
**
325 posts
I definitely don't see this game being sold to one of those FTP company. Remember this game has the 'Final Fantasy' franchise behind it. I don't think SE will let any other company have a piece of it.

Final Fantasy XIV will live!

Nuff said :)
____________________________
FFXIV
Name: Z'veagan Brolz
Server: Ultros
Linkshell/FC: Lootwhorindramafest
#20 Mar 29 2011 at 3:04 AM Rating: Good
***
1,112 posts
Reading that link has made me depressed at the loss of Tabula Rasa all over again.

:(
____________________________
To endanger the soul endangers all,
when the soul is endangered it must become a Warrior.
#21 Mar 29 2011 at 3:28 AM Rating: Default
***
2,202 posts
Veagan wrote:
I definitely don't see this game being sold to one of those FTP company. Remember this game has the 'Final Fantasy' franchise behind it. I don't think SE will let any other company have a piece of it.

Final Fantasy XIV will live!

Nuff said :)


Star wars galaxies said the same thing, and it tanked just the same (Different issues tho)

SW>>>>>>>FF

____________________________
MUTED
#22 Mar 29 2011 at 4:15 AM Rating: Default
Ostia wrote:
Veagan wrote:
I definitely don't see this game being sold to one of those FTP company. Remember this game has the 'Final Fantasy' franchise behind it. I don't think SE will let any other company have a piece of it.

Final Fantasy XIV will live!

Nuff said :)


Star wars galaxies said the same thing, and it tanked just the same (Different issues tho)

SW>>>>>>>FF



Did SWG developers promise to overhaul all aspects of the game and listen to what it's playerbase was complaining about?

I doubt it. FFXIV >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> MMODeath.
#24 Mar 29 2011 at 5:42 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
2,045 posts
Quote:
Did SWG developers promise to overhaul all aspects of the game and listen to what it's playerbase was complaining about?

I doubt it. FFXIV >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> MMODeath.


Yeah a friend played SWG, they made some big changes to the game to make it more popular, failed and masses of people that stuck with it for a long time left.
____________________________
BANNED
#25 Mar 29 2011 at 6:21 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
351 posts
Keysofgaruda wrote:
i'm surprised APB hasn't been said yet. if i recall, APB was one of the worst flops in the history of MMO.

it is going to be revived though since the ip has been sold, not sure if p2p or cash shop yet.


Sad thing is, APB did better in reviews than FFXIV did... and it went bankrupt almost immediately. It was a tale of two mismatched teams: One who made the most beautiful character creator in the history of MMOs mashed up with a team who made one of the worst MMO worlds in the history of MMOs.
#26 Mar 29 2011 at 12:25 PM Rating: Excellent
****
7,106 posts
Quote:
Did SWG developers promise to overhaul all aspects of the game and listen to what it's playerbase was complaining about?

Actually, yes, that's almost exactly what happened to SWG. The overhaul alienated the small core of remaining die-hard players and didn't bring in anyone else. In the end all the changes did was speed up what had been a slow, lingering death.

Or, did you know that and you were being sarcastic?
#27 Mar 29 2011 at 12:33 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
118 posts
Caesura wrote:
Quote:
Did SWG developers promise to overhaul all aspects of the game and listen to what it's playerbase was complaining about?

Actually, yes, that's almost exactly what happened to SWG. The overhaul alienated the small core of remaining die-hard players and didn't bring in anyone else. In the end all the changes did was speed up what had been a slow, lingering death.

Or, did you know that and you were being sarcastic?


I think part of the thing with Star Wars though is that it's such an exploited franchise at this point that everyone expects things with a "Star Wars" tag to be ****. Final Fantasy has a bit more quality to it in regards to it's products (post 2005 anyway).
#28 Mar 29 2011 at 12:49 PM Rating: Good
**
557 posts
Every major MMORPG dies. Not every major MMORPG truly lives.
____________________________


#29 Mar 29 2011 at 1:05 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
118 posts
yfaithfully wrote:
Every major MMORPG dies. Not every major MMORPG truly lives.


lol
#30 Mar 29 2011 at 4:21 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
513 posts
yfaithfully wrote:
Every major MMORPG dies. Not every major MMORPG truly lives.

But how do you kill that which has no life?
____________________________
#31 Mar 29 2011 at 6:19 PM Rating: Default
Kordain wrote:
Reading that link has made me depressed at the loss of Tabula Rasa all over again.

:(



Same here... Tabula Rasa was such a good game, awesome combat... **** NCsoft and Richard Garriot. I promised myself never buying anything again from them after that. I have my copy here on my desk crying it can't be played.

Edited, Mar 29th 2011 8:20pm by MclarenTAGPorsche
#32 Mar 29 2011 at 8:08 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
351 posts
MclarenTAGPorsche wrote:
Kordain wrote:
Reading that link has made me depressed at the loss of Tabula Rasa all over again.

:(



Same here... Tabula Rasa was such a good game, awesome combat... **** NCsoft and Richard Garriot. I promised myself never buying anything again from them after that. I have my copy here on my desk crying it can't be played.


A friend of mine who was big into MMOs swore up and down that Tabula Rasa was THE GAME. Before that he was all into Vanguard, which fell on its face, too. Before that it was Asheron's Call 2. Man, that guy had the worst luck picking MMOs to play...

Edited, Mar 29th 2011 10:08pm by ForceOfMeh
#33 Mar 29 2011 at 10:11 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,000 posts
ForceOfMeh wrote:
Man, that guy had the worst luck picking MMOs to play...


He doesn't...by any chance...play FFXIV...does he?
____________________________
#34 Mar 29 2011 at 11:08 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Quote:
A friend of mine who was big into MMOs swore up and down that Tabula Rasa was THE GAME. Before that he was all into Vanguard, which fell on its face, too. Before that it was Asheron's Call 2. Man, that guy had the worst luck picking MMOs to play...


A friend of mine was about the same. He got all hyped up about Vanguard, and more recently APB. It's an unfortunate state of the industry that the hype ultimately means so very little.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#35 Mar 30 2011 at 8:36 AM Rating: Good
***
1,606 posts
Mithsavvy wrote:
AtarashiGamer wrote:
That link was certainly eye opening! I was surprised to see several games that I recognized previous adds for.


What link are you guys referring to??? You have me interested now, but I don't see a relevant link.
yfaithfully wrote:
A few have.

I didn't see it at first either.
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 20 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (20)