Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Weaver and ????...give me a hand hereFollow

#1 Apr 03 2011 at 4:06 PM Rating: Decent
I want to make masses of clothes and im sure weaver will be my main DoH but i would like to know what other class(es) i will need to be a great tailor (please exclude armour). My original plan was to just have Weaver and leather worker but im getting a feeling im misssing a chunk to become a really good tailor, so any advice would be very much appreciated thank you!
#2 Apr 03 2011 at 4:40 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,566 posts
The thing about Disciples of the Hand is that they are very codependent.

You will want to dabble in the Smithing, Gold Smithing and Armory in case you need chains and plates.

Mostly, though Weaver and Leatherwork should go well together. Maybe even a little focus on Alchemy to make your own dyes.
#3 Apr 03 2011 at 5:40 PM Rating: Good
**
401 posts
Weaver and Leatherworker are like bread and butter. If you're going to do one, you're going to want to do the other. Almost any other DoH can help quite a bit, but it won't be quite as reliant for most things, than TAN. Of course you'll need components from other DoH for certain recipes, (I do as well for TAN) but unless you want to be completely self sufficient then you most likely can find what you would need in the market wards.

Edited, Apr 3rd 2011 6:41pm by Ipwnrice
____________________________
FFXI: Server Ifrit
Licksthekitty - 68THF/41WHM/37NIN/30BLM/20COR Mithra Retired

WoW: Realm Darkspear
Claybosmash - 80 Orc Warrior Retired
Ipwnrice - 70 Undead Rogue Retired


#4 Apr 03 2011 at 6:04 PM Rating: Default
*
206 posts
Not to put down what other people have said so far advice wise, but as far as Weaver is concerned, it's one of the few crafts that actually requires no other support crafts to level up, or make it faster. Maybe I can write a guide for it, but I know for certain the fastest way to get weaver 50 uses no mats from any other crafts (unless you count Fleece for Woolen Yarn, but that requires rank 36 Tanning, and Fleece is so cheap on every server that it doesn't matter). In fact, you never even have to use dyes to get 50, and I'd go as far as to say that the route that doesn't use dyes is substantially quicker, and more cost effective (part of the reason I should write guides on what I did for all my crafts, since I did things a lot differently than everyone else I see leveling crafts).

EDIT: By "support craft", I don't mean xxx rank required to do xxx recipe.

Edited, Apr 3rd 2011 8:05pm by LateReg
____________________________
#5 Apr 03 2011 at 8:20 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
176 posts
No Late, he didn't ask how to power level Weaver, he asked how to be a good one.

Sephrick wrote:
Mostly, though Weaver and Leatherwork should go well together. Maybe even a little focus on Alchemy to make your own dyes.

This, you're supposed to rely on your fellow Armorworkers and Goldsmithers to provide you with synth mats, and Leatherworker is important as a sub craft for some clothwork recipies.
____________________________

TERA looks tasty...
#6 Apr 03 2011 at 9:07 PM Rating: Decent
*
206 posts
now i feel dumb :(
____________________________
#7 Apr 03 2011 at 11:12 PM Rating: Decent
Sage
Avatar
**
676 posts
Late, I still think you should write those guides. I'm sure many people would be very interested in reading them. I am certainly one of them.
____________________________
#8 Apr 04 2011 at 12:06 AM Rating: Good
*
206 posts
swisa wrote:
Late, I still think you should write those guides. I'm sure many people would be very interested in reading them. I am certainly one of them.


Ok, I'll try to write some from what I can remember... it's surprisingly easy to forget things even though I was leveling a lot of those crafts just 4-5 months ago.

I know that one of the major crafts I did totally diff from anyone else was Carpentry, and I got it from 1-40 in a matter of 3 days I think, and it was basically free to level up as well.
____________________________
#9 Apr 04 2011 at 12:19 AM Rating: Good
***
2,120 posts
LateReg wrote:
swisa wrote:
Late, I still think you should write those guides. I'm sure many people would be very interested in reading them. I am certainly one of them.


Ok, I'll try to write some from what I can remember... it's surprisingly easy to forget things even though I was leveling a lot of those crafts just 4-5 months ago.

I know that one of the major crafts I did totally diff from anyone else was Carpentry, and I got it from 1-40 in a matter of 3 days I think, and it was basically free to level up as well.


*Breaks out calculator trying to determine what "3 days" equates to for normal people* = D

And yea, agreed with what others said to the OP. LW is your main subcraft for weaving. Alchemy is used to craft the tarred items and good for making dyes & such. On the side you could do gsm/bsm/arm for rivets, buckles, breastpins used in your crafts. That's stuff you could also just buy when you need 'em.

Edited, Apr 4th 2011 2:22am by TwistedOwl
____________________________

#10 Apr 04 2011 at 12:59 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
53 posts
I am a little surprised no one mentioned Botanist in this thread yet?
Sure, its possible to buy all mats for making yarn and stuff. And probably faster than collecting it all.
Guess it boils down to if you want to be self-sufficient or not.
#11 Apr 04 2011 at 2:43 AM Rating: Default
*
206 posts
TwistedOwl wrote:
LateReg wrote:
swisa wrote:
Late, I still think you should write those guides. I'm sure many people would be very interested in reading them. I am certainly one of them.


Ok, I'll try to write some from what I can remember... it's surprisingly easy to forget things even though I was leveling a lot of those crafts just 4-5 months ago.

I know that one of the major crafts I did totally diff from anyone else was Carpentry, and I got it from 1-40 in a matter of 3 days I think, and it was basically free to level up as well.


*Breaks out calculator trying to determine what "3 days" equates to for normal people* = D

And yea, agreed with what others said to the OP. LW is your main subcraft for weaving. Alchemy is used to craft the tarred items and good for making dyes & such. On the side you could do gsm/bsm/arm for rivets, buckles, breastpins used in your crafts. That's stuff you could also just buy when you need 'em.

Edited, Apr 4th 2011 2:22am by TwistedOwl



oh, for "normal people" maybe 5-7 days? shouldn't take long if you're focused
____________________________
#12 Apr 04 2011 at 8:43 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
*
194 posts
You absolutely need LW leveled as a sub if you want to have any chance of completing WVR leves. The WVR leves often require you to craft complete parts that require a high level of LW sub. Without LW, it's nearly impossible to complete certain WVR leves.

Canvas cloth is one of your main grinding synths through your 20's and into the early 30's. I think that canvas cloth benefits from having LW leveled as well.

You absolutely unequivocally must have training books. The first one you need to get ASAP is weaving training which will exponentially increase your chances of successfully crafting cotton cloth, undyed canvas cloth, velveteen cloth, etc.

And as far as realistically managing your expectations from a time perspective, you aren't going from Rank 1-50 inside of one week unless you are playing all day everyday. Even then, I'm not sure it's physically possible with the fatigue system in place.

Be sure to consider the source when you hear someone quantify the time required to do something in terms of days. An average FFXIV "day" for me is approximately 1.5 - 2 hours. For others, an average FFXIV day can be 12, 14, even 16 hours. How can we kill that which has no life?

#13 Apr 04 2011 at 4:43 PM Rating: Default
*
206 posts
thejones wrote:
You absolutely need LW leveled as a sub if you want to have any chance of completing WVR leves. The WVR leves often require you to craft complete parts that require a high level of LW sub. Without LW, it's nearly impossible to complete certain WVR leves.

Canvas cloth is one of your main grinding synths through your 20's and into the early 30's. I think that canvas cloth benefits from having LW leveled as well.

You absolutely unequivocally must have training books. The first one you need to get ASAP is weaving training which will exponentially increase your chances of successfully crafting cotton cloth, undyed canvas cloth, velveteen cloth, etc.

And as far as realistically managing your expectations from a time perspective, you aren't going from Rank 1-50 inside of one week unless you are playing all day everyday. Even then, I'm not sure it's physically possible with the fatigue system in place.

Be sure to consider the source when you hear someone quantify the time required to do something in terms of days. An average FFXIV "day" for me is approximately 1.5 - 2 hours. For others, an average FFXIV day can be 12, 14, even 16 hours. How can we kill that which has no life?



Sorry to burst your bubble, but leves actually ignore sub-craft requirements :x
____________________________
#14 Apr 04 2011 at 8:19 PM Rating: Good
***
2,120 posts
Quote:
Sorry to burst your bubble, but leves actually ignore sub-craft requirements :x


When did that happen?
____________________________

#15 Apr 04 2011 at 9:31 PM Rating: Default
*
206 posts
TwistedOwl wrote:
Quote:
Sorry to burst your bubble, but leves actually ignore sub-craft requirements :x


When did that happen?


Since Closed Beta as far as I can remember.
____________________________
#16 Apr 04 2011 at 10:05 PM Rating: Good
***
2,120 posts
LateReg wrote:
TwistedOwl wrote:
Quote:
Sorry to burst your bubble, but leves actually ignore sub-craft requirements :x


When did that happen?


Since Closed Beta as far as I can remember.


Hmm, I remember some being less forgiving about that than others. The ones in Grid doing trapper/tracker tunics come to mind -shrugs-

That was a while ago though. Overall crafting seems to be more forgiving now...

Edited, Apr 5th 2011 12:32am by TwistedOwl
____________________________

#17 Apr 04 2011 at 11:40 PM Rating: Default
LateReg wrote:
Maybe I can write a guide for it


I'll write it for you.

Step 1: Buy a bot
Step 2: Buy a bunch of materials
Step 3: Run bot 24/7
Step 4: ???
Step 5: Profit

You don't seriously think people believe you have almost 6 crafting jobs level 50 doing it legitimately do you? Not only that, but 2 DoW/M at 50 to go with it. Normally I wouldn't open my mouth, but if you're going to give advice about how to level stuff when more likely than not you didn't legitimately level the stuff yourself, I'm going to have to call you on it. Unless you're playing the game as a team on one account, or you are some sort of machine, I call bot
#18 Apr 05 2011 at 6:37 AM Rating: Default
*
206 posts
rathalosattack wrote:
LateReg wrote:
Maybe I can write a guide for it


I'll write it for you.

Step 1: Buy a bot
Step 2: Buy a bunch of materials
Step 3: Run bot 24/7
Step 4: ???
Step 5: Profit

You don't seriously think people believe you have almost 6 crafting jobs level 50 doing it legitimately do you? Not only that, but 2 DoW/M at 50 to go with it. Normally I wouldn't open my mouth, but if you're going to give advice about how to level stuff when more likely than not you didn't legitimately level the stuff yourself, I'm going to have to call you on it. Unless you're playing the game as a team on one account, or you are some sort of machine, I call bot


I try to be helpful, and am in the process of writing guides of different ways to level things so people can get their crafts up faster and cheaper... but before I get a chance to release anything I already have someone pointing fingers.

Everyone on Selbina accuses the Shell I'm in of foul play, and though their might be a few members who have dabbled, none of those of us who are active cheat.

I almost wish I chose to do all DoW/Ms so that I'm not constantly getting accused. Japanese message boards (2ch) is where most of the nonsense comes from. It's funny, the people who are obvious botters all have YouTube videos/Screens of them botting. No one has anything like that on me (I must be so good at hiding, right?) Even though I do all my crafting in front of Bric-A-Brac, or on Ruby Road.

As for my personal situation... I work from home, I sleep very, very little, I play a lot, and really don't leave the house much except for on weekends. I play during the entire Japanese prime time, I play for a good amount of the NA/EU prime time. I'm mostly fluent in Japanese, and I play in an all Japanese shell (with 1 exception, and he posts here too... and whadyaknow he has a ton of 50s too...)

It's not at all possible that I play only with a group of like-minded individuals, who all love MMO grinding? I was possibly the 2nd or 3rd Maat's cap in XI, and was certainly in the first 5 ever. I couldn't have even been 14 years old at the time. My history with the FF Online series so far is a long one. I love grinding, and I'm working really hard to get everything to 50, although my progress has drastically slowed down since the servers went back up, I've only gained 2 crafting ranks since; that certainly doesn't scream "bot!".

There are exceptions to people with a ton of crafting ranks. There's someone else on my server who I'm absolutely certain is legitimate, and he has more ranks in DoH/L than I do by far, now.

Anyways: http://www.ffxivpro.com/linkshell/Selbina/OhYatsu/

Cool group of people. Unfortunate that people don't get to see how we play. We have a good time, and we're pretty content despite how terrible this game is... it's really sad to have people constantly putting us down at every chance.

るきにゃん4LIFE!


____________________________
#19 Apr 07 2011 at 10:05 PM Rating: Good
***
1,566 posts
LateReg wrote:
It's not at all possible that I play only with a group of like-minded individuals, who all love MMO grinding?


Being dedicated in a group of like-minded individuals is one thing, but your Lodestone page seems to defy math.

According to your character page, the ranks you've obtained accumulate to about 610,557,000. Accounting for travel time, time spent gathering raw materials for craft grinding and the like, one can't always be in the act of obtaining SP. Given that, I've seen the common SP-per-hour rate for more dedicated folks rest around 10,000/hour. I'm aware that some people can get more than that while actually obtaining the SP, but it balances out once the time sinks finally kick in.

That means that to accumulate that amount of SP, one would have to grind non-stop for 6,105 hours, or 254.4 days. Eight months. This game has only been out for seven.

Clearly you and your shell have discovered some method of gaining SP on all classes that is just faster than the rest of us. It's only natural that folks would assume that since it's one isolated group gaining SP like this, that something shady is afoot. Whether those assumptions are true or not remains to be seen.

I'd rather you be botting. To think that someone spent seven sleepless months grinding for one epic "first" in a broken game that may be completely different in a few updates makes me one sad panda.

Edited, Apr 8th 2011 12:07am by Sephrick
#20 Apr 08 2011 at 12:17 AM Rating: Decent
*
206 posts
Woah, woah, woah lol your math is wayyyyyyyyyyy off ><

1-50 on every class is 1,782,150 SP each. If you re-do your calcs now, what I've done is wayyyy more reasonable lol
____________________________
#21 Apr 08 2011 at 12:29 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
176 posts
What?! How could you level 300 classes to 50, Late?
Is your power level over 9000?
____________________________

TERA looks tasty...
#22 Apr 08 2011 at 1:01 AM Rating: Decent
*
206 posts
But of course...
____________________________
#23 Apr 08 2011 at 6:11 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
787 posts
Ipwnrice wrote:
Weaver and Leatherworker are like bread and butter. If you're going to do one, you're going to want to do the other. Almost any other DoH can help quite a bit, but it won't be quite as reliant for most things, than TAN. Of course you'll need components from other DoH for certain recipes, (I do as well for TAN) but unless you want to be completely self sufficient then you most likely can find what you would need in the market wards.
Edited, Apr 3rd 2011 6:41pm by Ipwnrice


But of course, it never ends there. You probably have to level up your Mining, Alchemy and probably Goldsmithing if you want to do everything in Weaver and Leatherworking. Way too much reliance between the professions just to be the master of one. Perhaps the hapless devs can take a page out of the EQ2 crafting system and tone down the pre-reqs a bit.
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 13 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (13)