Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Anyone else still mainless?Follow

#1 Apr 07 2011 at 8:41 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,566 posts
So I quit for a while, tried XI again and I've been back on XIV for about a month now.

My main problem is I feel like it's pointless to make a decision on a main class until the battle system changes occur. I've gone back to just leveling stuff for the heck of it through Behest. There are classes I do enjoy as the game is now, but can't help wondering if I may not care for them once the game is changed.

I've been especially wondering how things like auto-attack will change classes.

Will Marauder get stances instead of their single/broad TP building attacks?

Will Archer only use ammo for WSs, or become more of a traditional "ranger" and get some sort of pet ally in the vein of XI's Dragoon wyvern to assist them as their form of melee?

Anyone else dragging their feet about a main class?

If you have chosen a main; what made you choose that in the face of change? What do you hop will be different/will change once the big battle system update occurs?
#2 Apr 07 2011 at 10:05 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
560 posts
Ive quit 2 times for a total of 3 months out of 6 away from the game and no i cant really find a main either. I am about to do a behest and then will be working on taking my 14th class to 30+(currently 29) I feel your pain of no main.
____________________________


#3 Apr 07 2011 at 10:40 PM Rating: Decent
I will be playing some kind of mage I am sure, but to be honest I would much rather wait for "Red Mage" (Rapier) to be released...and if they change Con and Thm around a lot in the renaming/balancing patch it would change a lot of things as well. I guess I am taking a "wait-and-see" approach.
____________________________
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
Data Center: Primal; Server: Ultros; Free Company: The Kraken Club; Grand Company: The Maelstrom; Chocobo: Kweh
#4 Apr 07 2011 at 11:14 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
257 posts
I find it hard to even level a battle job with there being nothing to do once you get to 50. Leveling itself is pretty boring for 50% of the time since you only get an ability every other level. If there were level requirements on gear you could at least have that to look forward to as incentive to level.

That said, I've been leveling archer mainly. I liked RNG in FFXI a lot but never seemed to be able to afford it so I quit. Since money is near worthless in XIV and stats etc are broken, I can afford to play it np because warped arrows work 95% of the time for everything. Even if they weren't and proper arrows were required I'd still be able to afford it because of how worthless gil is >.>
____________________________

#5 Apr 07 2011 at 11:47 PM Rating: Decent
*
200 posts
i chose lancer as main, simply because i don't see it changing that much. although i find myself trying to hold back on leveling it as much as possible. LS Says level it, my mind says Wait.
____________________________


#6 Apr 07 2011 at 11:47 PM Rating: Excellent
I guess for me gettting both mage jobs to 50 has been my 'main' and all the other jobs up to ranks that get my mage nice abilities. I totally see what your saying though, if the battle changes make old classes play very different it is hard to figure out what you should rank up. I think Tony's got the right idea but that can only last so long.
____________________________
Esuna Forums

#7 Apr 08 2011 at 3:02 AM Rating: Decent
I'm waiting for something that feels more like THF to me, until then I slow grind a little of everything.
____________________________
FFXI:Sylph - Perrin 75 Hume THF; Retired (At least from my use any way)
EVE Online:ScraperX; Retired
WAR:IronClaw- Peryn SW;SkullThrone- Grymloc BO; Retired


#8 Apr 08 2011 at 4:07 AM Rating: Good
***
1,146 posts
I haven't decided on a main class either. For now my main goal is getting all my DoH and DoL up while doing my battlecraft leves with GLA.
But until we get some more content and better LS management I'm not really working on DoW and DoM or on creating a nice social LS.
____________________________

Final Fantasy XI
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Name: Kyana (retired)
Jobs: THF75 PLD70 BST70

#9 Apr 08 2011 at 4:12 AM Rating: Decent
*
175 posts
My main would be gladiator.. I chose it back then because I thought I would be able to dual wield swords and be a DD.. but I haven't seen anything of the sort just yet.. hopefully in future...
____________________________
| I still believe in FFXIV...
My name is pronounced "kai-neh" actually.. and yes, it is feminine..
#10 Apr 08 2011 at 4:24 AM Rating: Excellent
**
465 posts
Still waiting on Musketeer.. I took up Thaumaturge so I could play around with NMs and tier 3 factions, but I can tell this will get old quick.

I don't feel much attatchment to any of the existing classes, and with how sterile this game is, I'm not nearly as excited for Musketeer as I was. I don't see how any class can be all that fun or unique unless things are drastically changed.
____________________________
Lodestone
#11 Apr 08 2011 at 4:30 AM Rating: Good
***
2,120 posts
I'll probably try to take 'em all to 36, see all the class quests available and unlock the traits/abilities. Right now if I were to pick one to take to 50 it would probably be pugilist or one of the mage classes. The most fun i have fighting is still AoE nuking & the counter type moves like haymaker. I still get a bit excited and talk **** to the screen sometimes after a nicely timed haymaker or knocking off a skeleton's head = D
____________________________

#12 Apr 08 2011 at 6:29 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
787 posts
IMHO it pointless to keep leveling until the game get's it's act together. Once the mages become fun to play, I'll probably come back.
#13 Apr 08 2011 at 8:30 AM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
*
197 posts
My CON is definitely my main. I'm currently leveling THM for the sake of their skills which I'll use on CON, and cause it's a DoM class. I don't think I will ever touch a DoW class, no matter how beneficial some of their skills will be, since I'm absolutely sure I will not be playing any of those, not for NM fights, not for fun or whatever. I love being a mage and being bit obsessive compulsive I like to see my DoW classes have a "-" for their rank, instead of any numbers. Gotta keep my proile 'clean'. I know it's sick, but it's how I'm wired >_<
#14 Apr 08 2011 at 9:28 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
Quote:
I'm waiting for something that feels more like THF to me, until then I slow grind a little of everything.


Dito. It's hillarious that they released the game without a sneaky underhanded job.
#15 Apr 08 2011 at 5:13 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
41 posts
Nope, after trying out the different classes, I'm pretty set on Lancer. I do find little nuances and differences between each class and these little things separate them for me. They are more pronounced when fighting tough enemies. Think of it like Ryu and Ken, similar but wholly different. As it is now, Lancers are the defacto "Samurai" of this game with their ability to maintain a high rate of TP and still maintain a decent buffer on their Stamina gauge.

This thread isn't surprising however considering the fanbase. FFXI had it's fair share of "all melee are the same/homogenous" at one point as well. And generally, all melee are still the same in either game.. get TP, buff, WS, rinse and repeat. Question is, are the nuances to the "get TP" portion fun enough?

I have no idea what the new battle changes will entail but I'm not too keen on auto-attack if it's just going to be like XI "but faster". But I'll hold judgement for the actual implementation, as I think everyone should. I know SE can't please everyone with their battle systems and the proof is in this game, XIII, XII, X, IX, VIII, etc.

Edited, Apr 8th 2011 7:14pm by Hyena
#16 Apr 08 2011 at 5:26 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
200 posts
Con is my main, but I'm sure I wouldnt be the only person p.o.'ed if they decided all of a sudden "Your Conjurer is now a White Mage" without giving the person the option to choose either a BLM or WHM. Either way I'll deal.
#17 Apr 08 2011 at 8:07 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
977 posts
I can't say I've found a class I singularly enjoy either. I was hoping something to the likeness of THF or NIN would be added. Most of the classes just don't grab my attention too much.
____________________________
A drink. A drink. A drink.
#18 Apr 08 2011 at 8:22 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
626 posts
my original 'main" idea was to max out THM so i can mix and match it with any melee, but yeah since were getting an overhaul im not too sure what to do now.
i tried leveling GLA today so i can solo tank, but with the button/reaction delays and the fact that using your shield is its own "mode" it was a very slow and tedious class to use. maybe if bringing your shield to your front is an instant sustained mode then tanking could be much more fun and viable.
____________________________

#19 Apr 08 2011 at 11:52 PM Rating: Decent
*
200 posts
Hyena wrote:
Nope, after trying out the different classes, I'm pretty set on Lancer. I do find little nuances and differences between each class and these little things separate them for me. They are more pronounced when fighting tough enemies. Think of it like Ryu and Ken, similar but wholly different. As it is now, Lancers are the defacto "Samurai" of this game with their ability to maintain a high rate of TP and still maintain a decent buffer on their Stamina gauge.

This thread isn't surprising however considering the fanbase. FFXI had it's fair share of "all melee are the same/homogenous" at one point as well. And generally, all melee are still the same in either game.. get TP, buff, WS, rinse and repeat. Question is, are the nuances to the "get TP" portion fun enough?

I have no idea what the new battle changes will entail but I'm not too keen on auto-attack if it's just going to be like XI "but faster". But I'll hold judgement for the actual implementation, as I think everyone should. I know SE can't please everyone with their battle systems and the proof is in this game, XIII, XII, X, IX, VIII, etc.

Edited, Apr 8th 2011 7:14pm by Hyena



what i wouldn't give for a naginata.
____________________________


#20 Apr 09 2011 at 12:47 AM Rating: Excellent
*
144 posts
I have THM and CON at 50, and yeah, I really don't feel like either are my main.

I'm sick of healing and I'm sick of being the "spirtdart guy" for Battle regiments. Casting DoTs is cool, but really, is that what I am? Don't let them regen/wake up?

**** that. Where are my epic nukes that do huge spikes in damage?
____________________________
Sir Littlej wrote:
i think i said goodbye, but i might have told him to go die, im not sure


Tera Kalinathon wrote:
i do like... wood o.o



#21 Apr 09 2011 at 8:36 AM Rating: Good
**
697 posts
I really want a pet-class, however I know that the current classes (and whatever changes they make to them in the near future) will probably not include that type of ability.

So for now I'm leaning towards an offensive Conjurer, although with all the talk about changing the game so drastically I feel like levelling is somewhat pointless if they are just going to change the classes. I've recently gone back to FFXI just until they implement auto-attack and the class changes they've been talking about; but occasionally I do check into FFXIV because man, FFXI looks REALLY dated now compared to XIV.
____________________________
FFXI: Odin - Merylstryfe Summoner Woo Hoo!


#22 Apr 09 2011 at 12:26 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,636 posts
Buttsniffa wrote:
Con is my main, but I'm sure I wouldnt be the only person p.o.'ed if they decided all of a sudden "Your Conjurer is now a White Mage" without giving the person the option to choose either a BLM or WHM. Either way I'll deal.


What I'd like to see with this, is to more or less leave conj the way it is, and create an actual healing class. I guess rename conj BLM, then maybe take away or rename protect/shell/cure, or at least make sure that the healing class is better at them. maybe take away the tier 2 versions from conj. Its a bit sad to see it become such a big healer in this game, because its so obviously mostly BLM.
____________________________


#23 Apr 09 2011 at 12:48 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
977 posts
I agree fully with your GLA comment. The shield should be automatically in use by your character once you equip it, especially with the frequency at which it goes down. I don't see the shield raise as adding anything pleasant to the game, it's not a reactive skill, it's just another annoying thing you have to keep pressing every 10s...
____________________________
A drink. A drink. A drink.
#24 Apr 10 2011 at 8:42 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,948 posts
^
Smaller shield last longer, and that's why there are small and there are large shields.
____________________________




#25 Apr 10 2011 at 8:46 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
977 posts
Khornette wrote:
^
Smaller shield last longer, and that's why there are small and there are large shields.


Thank you, I am aware that there is a difference in the duration between the smaller and larger shield varieties. However, the change in wielding time I think is ~5s, which doesn't make much of a difference. I don't understand the point of the manual block action in general, why would anyone equip a shield and then not use it? Blocks should be automatic to a character that has a shield equipped IMO.
____________________________
A drink. A drink. A drink.
#26 Apr 10 2011 at 11:54 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,948 posts
Pluelf wrote:
Khornette wrote:
^
Smaller shield last longer, and that's why there are small and there are large shields.


Thank you, I am aware that there is a difference in the duration between the smaller and larger shield varieties. However, the change in wielding time I think is ~5s, which doesn't make much of a difference. I don't understand the point of the manual block action in general, why would anyone equip a shield and then not use it? Blocks should be automatic to a character that has a shield equipped IMO.


Depends on what answer you want. Do your shield automatically raise in real life? And do warriors in real life actually raise shield all the time? Now just forget about real life, this is a game after all. Here's the deal: Raising shield was supposed to be reactive based, making combat more action oriented. Raising shield if anything cost you a time frame that you can perhaps do another action. That's their intention, I'm not here saying what is right or wrong, because you're asking the reason why they make raising shield manual and not automatic.
____________________________




#27 Apr 12 2011 at 6:53 AM Rating: Good
*
200 posts
Khornette wrote:
Pluelf wrote:
Khornette wrote:
^
Smaller shield last longer, and that's why there are small and there are large shields.


Thank you, I am aware that there is a difference in the duration between the smaller and larger shield varieties. However, the change in wielding time I think is ~5s, which doesn't make much of a difference. I don't understand the point of the manual block action in general, why would anyone equip a shield and then not use it? Blocks should be automatic to a character that has a shield equipped IMO.


Depends on what answer you want. Do your shield automatically raise in real life? And do warriors in real life actually raise shield all the time? Now just forget about real life, this is a game after all. Here's the deal: Raising shield was supposed to be reactive based, making combat more action oriented. Raising shield if anything cost you a time frame that you can perhaps do another action. That's their intention, I'm not here saying what is right or wrong, because you're asking the reason why they make raising shield manual and not automatic.



the same could be said about basic attacks, and look where that's going. the Ideology was fantastic the implementation however was not. ActionTurnBase or ATB has been around since the first FF, your gauge fills up you attack rinse repeat. the current Stamina system is ATB rebadged For a faster pace
____________________________


#28 Apr 12 2011 at 12:25 PM Rating: Excellent
****
9,526 posts
MerylStryfe wrote:
, FFXI looks REALLY dated now compared to XIV.


I tweaked the registry and now, honestly - XI looks pretty great. Besides I'll take gameplay over gfx anyday. Especially after my six month love affair with that clueless ditz, XIV.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#29 Apr 12 2011 at 12:26 PM Rating: Excellent
****
9,526 posts
Also I don't think I will want to pick this game back up until I see the changes to jobs - and realistically - until they add a pet class or a blue mage.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#30 Apr 12 2011 at 8:30 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,530 posts
Sephrick wrote:
If you have chosen a main; what made you choose that in the face of change?


Oh I've chosen a main class, I just can't tell which one it is.
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#31 Apr 12 2011 at 8:32 PM Rating: Good
***
3,530 posts
Olorinus the Vile wrote:
Also I don't think I will want to pick this game back up until I see the changes to jobs - and realistically - until they add a pet class or a blue mage.


How about a pet class that is a blue mage? Time to bring back Puppetmaster, and this time, allow the automaton to scan, learn, and equip monster attacks! :D

... I miss Mushroom, he was a great 'maton. T_T
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#32 Apr 13 2011 at 7:42 AM Rating: Good
*
146 posts
Sephrick wrote:
So I quit for a while, tried XI again and I've been back on XIV for about a month now.

My main problem is I feel like it's pointless to make a decision on a main class until the battle system changes occur. I've gone back to just leveling stuff for the heck of it through Behest. There are classes I do enjoy as the game is now, but can't help wondering if I may not care for them once the game is changed.

I've been especially wondering how things like auto-attack will change classes.

Will Marauder get stances instead of their single/broad TP building attacks?

Will Archer only use ammo for WSs, or become more of a traditional "ranger" and get some sort of pet ally in the vein of XI's Dragoon wyvern to assist them as their form of melee?

Anyone else dragging their feet about a main class?

If you have chosen a main; what made you choose that in the face of change? What do you hop will be different/will change once the big battle system update occurs?


Same here.

On top of it, and that may sound silly, not only I have not chosen a main, but I don't want to rank up my favorite classes in case I miss interesting content for that class with the upcoming changes (class specific gear, advanced job/title that is unlocked at mid ranks, additional quests etc.)

That's why I mostly focus on crafting while I wait for the important patches regarding the gameplay.
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 16 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (16)