Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
This Forum is Read Only

Male Miqo'te/Female Roegadyn Follow

#1 Apr 14 2011 at 12:00 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
268 posts
Even playing FFXI since launch, I've never really cared for the idea of SE adding the missing genders but i figure this will make some people happy.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/891-Missing-Genders-A-request-for-Male-Miqote-Female-Highlander-and-Female-Roegadyn?p=86669#post86669
____________________________
Meatball of Asura
www.nantekotta.net
#2 Apr 14 2011 at 12:14 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
844 posts
Oh god...

Don't mind male mithras if they don't give us lady boys like in XI.

But female Galkas...?

Seriously wtf is wrong with those people?

MrNumptyk wrote:
Even playing FFXI since launch, I've never really cared for the idea of SE adding the missing genders but i figure this will make some people happy.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/891-Missing-Genders-A-request-for-Male-Miqote-Female-Highlander-and-Female-Roegadyn?p=86669#post86669

____________________________
See your face upon the clear water. How dirty! Come! Wash your face!
#3 Apr 14 2011 at 12:40 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
626 posts
Ilean wrote:
Oh god...

Don't mind male mithras if they don't give us lady boys like in XI.

But female Galkas...?

Seriously wtf is wrong with those people?

MrNumptyk wrote:
Even playing FFXI since launch, I've never really cared for the idea of SE adding the missing genders but i figure this will make some people happy.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/891-Missing-Genders-A-request-for-Male-Miqote-Female-Highlander-and-Female-Roegadyn?p=86669#post86669


so you expect an effeminate animal race to come up with a butch dog archetype but not a cutesy femme roegadyn?
____________________________

#4 Apr 14 2011 at 1:33 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
353 posts
Ilean wrote:
Oh god...

Don't mind male mithras if they don't give us lady boys like in XI.

But female Galkas...?

Seriously wtf is wrong with those people?


Slender male = Lady boy in MMO terms amirite. Better remember that devs, your races have to be buff!

Also, we have absolutely no idea what a female roegadyn would look like, so how's about we employ a little wait and see policy?
#5 Apr 14 2011 at 2:07 AM Rating: Good
***
1,313 posts
Hate to bring up WoW for all the haters but if you take a look at the contrast between Draenei males and females you can get an idea of what a m/f of galka may look like. Could even compare worgen to m/f miqote.

Male & Female Art: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.deviantart.com/download/49079305/Draenei__The_Blue_Ones_by_Matricks01.jpg&imgrefurl=http://matricks01.deviantart.com/art/Draenei-The-Blue-Ones-49079305&usg=__yIReQrr7IOsPAuLifNub-rV0DcQ=&h=1024&w=1280&sz=1483&hl=en&start=45&sig2=awcJ99Jh5nf4GbyiuhkOew&zoom=1&tbnid=u9waHspMKuRAaM:&tbnh=119&tbnw=160&ei=QKmmTcqKL4KisQPNgrT5DA&prev=/search%3Fq%3Ddraenei%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26biw%3D1920%26bih%3D887%26gbv%3D2%26tbm%3Disch0%2C912&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=983&vpy=553&dur=780&hovh=201&hovw=251&tx=124&ty=88&oei=9qimTaWmEIe6sQOj7cG3Cg&page=2&ndsp=54&ved=1t:429,r:49,s:45&biw=1920&bih=887

In Game: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.wow-basics.com/images/draenei.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.wow-basics.com/tag/specializations/&usg=__y2HEDURNPwtwZGCCnKPjGMvgCDU=&h=346&w=250&sz=38&hl=en&start=0&sig2=LP-TiEps1TM2OnsajvRgSg&zoom=1&tbnid=jeUWAoY9o8i_EM:&tbnh=181&tbnw=131&ei=1qmmTZTnOIOisAOD0uj5DA&prev=/images%3Fq%3Ddraenei%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26biw%3D1920%26bih%3D887%26gbv%3D2%26tbm%3Disch1%2C0&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=641&oei=9qimTaWmEIe6sQOj7cG3Cg&page=1&ndsp=45&ved=1t:429,r:4,s:0&tx=27&ty=109&biw=1920&bih=887

Female Worgen (Miqote size): http://cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/galleries/full/66/66835.jpg
Male Worgen (More beastly but similar in appearance to F): http://lunarwolf88.com/ss/male_worgen_side.bmp

Not sayin I want them to resemble this, I just think it's a good example for those who have trouble visualizing a female counterpart for a large race like Roegadyns.
Sorry about the long links, I never did learn how to make words into links and all that jazz.
____________________________
Eithne Draocht
My IG: archaicmachinery - Friend me!
#6 Apr 14 2011 at 4:17 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
353 posts
I think the Norn from GW2 are a good comparison too:

http://media.pcgamer.com/files/2011/02/Guild-Wars-2-Norn-warriors.jpg

They're a lot taller than human females and a bit broader, though obviously Roegadyn also have quite different faces to so you'd have to apply that as well.
#7 Apr 14 2011 at 5:28 AM Rating: Decent
*
186 posts
I've always wished this issue is going to be addressed and I'm glad it will be. I WANTED to have a male, Seeker of the Sun Miqo'te soooo bad, but I couldn't...

I also wanted the idea of female Roegadyns because it would only make things fair.
____________________________
Watch who you are calling Douchebags, jerk. BANNED
#8 Apr 14 2011 at 6:27 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,948 posts
You know FFXI/XIV is not the only MMORPG out there with gender-locked race (Arch Age comes to mind, and they are also Feline/Catgirls), and certainly not the only RPG as well. Next people will ask for male Asari in Mass Effect, oh noez.
____________________________




#9 Apr 14 2011 at 6:32 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,449 posts
As per comunity rep response on forums:

Quote:
Hey everyone, sorry for the delay in getting this response back to you!

We talked to Yoshida and one of the things he mentioned was that the number of people wanting a female Roegadyn was pretty unexpected! He wanted us to let you know that the team will do their best to introduce missing genders alongside the launch of the PS3 version.
____________________________


My FFXIV Blog



#10 Apr 14 2011 at 6:46 AM Rating: Good
*
73 posts
We got our first ever Female Roegadyn, in the form of Limsa Chief Admiral for the Grand Companies~

So other gender for the rest of the races shouldn't be too far away ^^

Edited, Apr 14th 2011 8:49am by wcloudxkumo
#11 Apr 14 2011 at 10:41 AM Rating: Good
***
3,530 posts
I'm not sure why anybody would ever be against letting other people choose their gender, it seems very odd to me, but I'm personally very excited that SE announced this^^

With this news, the new NMs, and companies, it feels like FFXIV is really taking off - and I'm glad to be there! :D
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#12 Apr 14 2011 at 10:48 AM Rating: Good
***
3,530 posts
Transmigration wrote:
Not sayin I want them to resemble this, I just think it's a good example for those who have trouble visualizing a female counterpart for a large race like Roegadyns.
Sorry about the long links, I never did learn how to make words into links and all that jazz.


We don't have to make mildly sexist characters with extreme gender binaries... I mean, when I look around, I don't see every male being 2 feet taller than every female, more than a hundred pounds heavier, and rippling with muscles. I also don't see every female having a super-slender waist and an hourglass figure... and I also don't have a problem with that.

Despite what some of you seem to think, some males are thin, and some females are not. Does it really kill your experience that much to let a couple other body types into the game? It sure doesn't negatively affect mine. :\
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#13 Apr 14 2011 at 12:57 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,313 posts
KaneKitty wrote:
Transmigration wrote:
Not sayin I want them to resemble this, I just think it's a good example for those who have trouble visualizing a female counterpart for a large race like Roegadyns.
Sorry about the long links, I never did learn how to make words into links and all that jazz.


We don't have to make mildly sexist characters with extreme gender binaries... I mean, when I look around, I don't see every male being 2 feet taller than every female, more than a hundred pounds heavier, and rippling with muscles. I also don't see every female having a super-slender waist and an hourglass figure... and I also don't have a problem with that.

Despite what some of you seem to think, some males are thin, and some females are not. Does it really kill your experience that much to let a couple other body types into the game? It sure doesn't negatively affect mine. :\


Really? The average man isn't noticeably larger than the average woman? I must live on another planet. I suppose in the animal kingdom there is a role reversal here and there, but there are always distinctions. If you want to roll a fat chick I guess female Lalafels are about as close as you'll get. If any creature were to run around all day fighting huge monsters, it would more than likely be in shape btw. Fat women and beanpole guys don't really fit into that scenario.


Edited, Apr 14th 2011 2:58pm by Transmigration
____________________________
Eithne Draocht
My IG: archaicmachinery - Friend me!
#14Ilean, Posted: Apr 14 2011 at 1:10 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) A male miqo should be something like this, but of course a Lion-O face instead.
#15 Apr 14 2011 at 1:50 PM Rating: Decent
*
186 posts
http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/company/gc01.html

Check out Merlwyb Bloefhiswyn. She's a female Roegadyn and she is HOT!
____________________________
Watch who you are calling Douchebags, jerk. BANNED
#16 Apr 14 2011 at 2:00 PM Rating: Default
*
186 posts
Ilean wrote:
A male miqo should be something like this, but of course a Lion-O face instead.

http://www.wallpaper4me.com/resize_wallpaper.php?id=3285
http://th02.deviantart.net/fs70/300W/f/2011/049/7/b/lion_o_by_davidrapozaart-d39tmgf.jpg

In other words: A cat, not a pfussy.

On galkas, I just don't see why people would want to translate the ugly race in the game into women...


A male Miqo'te should look like a male hyur (midlander or highlander) but with feline ears and a tail. And maybe a little bit of face distortion to make them look a little more catlike/lionlike. If you examine carefully, female Miqo'tes have a certain distinct look on their faces that distinguishes them from female humans and female hyurs. It's like if you translate it in REAL LIFE, they would be like a new breed of ethnicity (take off the ears and the tail.). It should be the same for male Miqo'tes.

Also, female Roegadyns should look feminine but strong. The solution?

CURVES CURVES CURVES!!

Kim Kardashian = Female Miqo'tes and Female Hyurs.

Some hot, tall, model chick = Female Elezen.

Chloe Kardashian = Female Roegadyns.
____________________________
Watch who you are calling Douchebags, jerk. BANNED
#17 Apr 14 2011 at 2:04 PM Rating: Default
lol For one the reogadyn males arent vainy muscle men where u cant see they have a neck all maximun strength so why are the females of that race getting pushed into maximun muscle mode? For the miqotes they are felines, ever seen the mithra in ffXI? its not a lion of death, its more like....urm only discription that comes to mind is a blonde j-rock person i think they should have a more young look, older than lalafells younger than the hyur, thats how the female miqotes are Imo
#18 Apr 14 2011 at 2:09 PM Rating: Good
***
3,530 posts
Transmigration wrote:
If any creature were to run around all day fighting huge monsters, it would more than likely be in shape btw. Fat women and beanpole guys don't really fit into that scenario.


So thin males can't fight monsters, but cutesy, four-foot-tall lalafels can? I guess I've been mistakenly thinking that Final Fantasy had a fantasy setting... I also thought that thin, somewhat effeminate males were kind of a staple of the series, but I guess we don't count... well, most of FF's characters. o_O

Again, everybody should not necessarily have to look like your ideal model. Make an appeal to nature if you wish, but I've never seen two members of the same race that look much like WoW's Draenei... and those Worgen, well, the male's arm is as thick as the female herself.

I'm just arguing for a couple more body types; you seem to be arguing all sorts of restrictive things.
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#19 Apr 14 2011 at 2:12 PM Rating: Good
***
2,010 posts
Quote:
You know FFXI/XIV is not the only MMORPG out there with gender-locked race (Arch Age comes to mind, and they are also Feline/Catgirls), and certainly not the only RPG as well. Next people will ask for male Asari in Mass Effect, oh noez.


It's not, but it's certainly an MMO where the request has been made, quite vocally, for a decade now. What does some other mmo have to do with that?

Quote:

I'm not sure why anybody would ever be against letting other people choose their gender, it seems very odd to me, but I'm personally very excited that SE announced this^^


The same reason that people like to get involved in other folks' business in RL, I suppose. Empty life and feelings of inadequacy?

Quote:
Not sayin I want them to resemble this, I just think it's a good example for those who have trouble visualizing a female counterpart for a large race like Roegadyns.


I agree - and the Worgen surely are an excellent example. Almost every werewolf movie out there has only males, and the reasoning is because no one thinks you can make a female werewolf hot. Well Bliz managed to make them look quite elegant and gave them spell animations to boot. SE doesn't have to go the route Bethesda did and make Supermutants named Lily that look no different than Supermutants named Marcus. Did seem quite odd that males mutated into bigger, green males... And somehow females mutated into big green males too.........
#20 Apr 14 2011 at 2:23 PM Rating: Decent
Also keep in mind the races translate over from XI just more in detail the male miqotes have a base look it up
#21 Apr 14 2011 at 6:15 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
121 posts
Remember, it's already established that male Miqo'te and female Roegadyn exist.

In the opening movie, after the Elzen says that the Miqo'te would, "Sell her own mother if the coin was good", the Miqo'te replies, "my father, too.". That certainly implies that male Miqo'te do exist.

As for female Roegadyn, the level 20 goldsmith guild quest mentions that a female Roegadyn was the muse for a piece of jewelry.

I don't see any reason why they shouldn't be made as playable characters.
____________________________


#22 Apr 14 2011 at 8:08 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
638 posts
I felt....a disturbance....

As if...mine and so many other people's hearts just skipped a beat in joy.
____________________________


#23 Apr 14 2011 at 8:22 PM Rating: Good
**
429 posts
At least FFXI's lore explained why you couldn't be a male Mithra or a female Galka.

To my knowledge, FFXIV's lore has no explanation for why you can't be those genders. I'm all for introducing the missing genders.
#24 Apr 14 2011 at 8:32 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
638 posts
Wolfums wrote:
At least FFXI's lore explained why you couldn't be a male Mithra or a female Galka.

To my knowledge, FFXIV's lore has no explanation for why you can't be those genders. I'm all for introducing the missing genders.


Not to mention they seem really dead set on distinguishing the differences between FFXI and FFXIV and establishing them as two compeltely, 100% different MMOs. Adding the missing genders would only further that cause. They can't lose.

Edited, Apr 14th 2011 10:34pm by Kitprower
____________________________


#25 Apr 14 2011 at 10:39 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,948 posts
Torrence wrote:
Quote:
You know FFXI/XIV is not the only MMORPG out there with gender-locked race (Arch Age comes to mind, and they are also Feline/Catgirls), and certainly not the only RPG as well. Next people will ask for male Asari in Mass Effect, oh noez.


It's not, but it's certainly an MMO where the request has been made, quite vocally, for a decade now. What does some other mmo have to do with that?


Because I can't quite get it with this supposedly unique FFXI/XIV fanbase. Haven't seen such complaints in other games where gender-locked race exist. I, for one, will be very disturbed to see Female Krogan and Male Asari in ME3, but luckily Bioware fanbase hasn't touched that yet.
____________________________




#26 Apr 14 2011 at 11:28 PM Rating: Decent
***
3,530 posts
Khornette wrote:
Torrence wrote:
Quote:
You know FFXI/XIV is not the only MMORPG out there with gender-locked race (Arch Age comes to mind, and they are also Feline/Catgirls), and certainly not the only RPG as well. Next people will ask for male Asari in Mass Effect, oh noez.


It's not, but it's certainly an MMO where the request has been made, quite vocally, for a decade now. What does some other mmo have to do with that?


Because I can't quite get it with this supposedly unique FFXI/XIV fanbase. Haven't seen such complaints in other games where gender-locked race exist. I, for one, will be very disturbed to see Female Krogan and Male Asari in ME3, but luckily Bioware fanbase hasn't touched that yet.


Well... not only is ME3 not an MMORPG with an emphasis on creating a custom character of any of several races to forge personal adventures with as though it were yourself, but it's also firmly established in at least two Mass Effect games' lore that Asari don't have gender binaries (even though they do look pretty darn blue-human-female to me). Also, you can only be a human in Mass Effect, anyway, so really all races are locked... >_>

In short, such comparisons can't hold up because the two games are too different.
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#27 Apr 15 2011 at 12:26 AM Rating: Good
***
1,313 posts
KaneKitty wrote:
Transmigration wrote:
If any creature were to run around all day fighting huge monsters, it would more than likely be in shape btw. Fat women and beanpole guys don't really fit into that scenario.


So thin males can't fight monsters, but cutesy, four-foot-tall lalafels can? I guess I've been mistakenly thinking that Final Fantasy had a fantasy setting... I also thought that thin, somewhat effeminate males were kind of a staple of the series, but I guess we don't count... well, most of FF's characters. o_O

Again, everybody should not necessarily have to look like your ideal model. Make an appeal to nature if you wish, but I've never seen two members of the same race that look much like WoW's Draenei... and those Worgen, well, the male's arm is as thick as the female herself.

I'm just arguing for a couple more body types; you seem to be arguing all sorts of restrictive things.


Perhaps my response was a bit rash because I felt you were attacking me for having an idea. You're right, but the only reason I posted those screenshots of WoW is because I heard a lot of people saying that a female Roeg would just be flat out ugly. My point was to help them see how other games have done well in creating a visually appealing female. After seeing the art for the female roeg on FFXIV's site, I see SE has already done exactly that. My bad for responding without thinking, maybe I'm just tired.
____________________________
Eithne Draocht
My IG: archaicmachinery - Friend me!
#28 Apr 15 2011 at 1:26 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
638 posts
I simply thought it was a female Elezen with the wrong naming scheme. And then I looked VERY closely.
____________________________


#29 Apr 15 2011 at 2:20 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
1,948 posts
KaneKitty wrote:
Khornette wrote:
Torrence wrote:
Quote:
You know FFXI/XIV is not the only MMORPG out there with gender-locked race (Arch Age comes to mind, and they are also Feline/Catgirls), and certainly not the only RPG as well. Next people will ask for male Asari in Mass Effect, oh noez.


It's not, but it's certainly an MMO where the request has been made, quite vocally, for a decade now. What does some other mmo have to do with that?


Because I can't quite get it with this supposedly unique FFXI/XIV fanbase. Haven't seen such complaints in other games where gender-locked race exist. I, for one, will be very disturbed to see Female Krogan and Male Asari in ME3, but luckily Bioware fanbase hasn't touched that yet.


Well... not only is ME3 not an MMORPG with an emphasis on creating a custom character of any of several races to forge personal adventures with as though it were yourself, but it's also firmly established in at least two Mass Effect games' lore that Asari don't have gender binaries (even though they do look pretty darn blue-human-female to me). Also, you can only be a human in Mass Effect, anyway, so really all races are locked... >_>

In short, such comparisons can't hold up because the two games are too different.


Oh, what about Arch Age? Let's hope they won't get the same "unique" fanbase and demand male version of their Feline race as well. TERA Elin or Baraka?
____________________________




#30 Apr 17 2011 at 4:33 PM Rating: Default
3 posts
Personally, I hope the dev team holds out and doesn't introduce male Miqo'te or female Roegadyn, except as perhaps offstage or NP characters.

There are unexplained reasons why you don't see either gender gadding about (due to the unfortunate necessity of releasing the game before actually writing up about 2/3rds of the racial and cultural backgrounds) - and if those reasons had been previously explained, it's probable that a lot of the complaints about the gender issue wouldn't have been voiced.



Edited, Apr 17th 2011 6:35pm by MeanderCat
____________________________


#31 Apr 17 2011 at 6:10 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
513 posts
About sexual dimorphism: Many real species have immense differences between males and females. Even more so than WoW characters.

Here's a spider.

MeanderCat wrote:
Personally, I hope the dev team holds out and doesn't introduce male Miqo'te or female Roegadyn, except as perhaps offstage or NP characters.

There are unexplained reasons why you don't see either gender gadding about (due to the unfortunate necessity of releasing the game before actually writing up about 2/3rds of the racial and cultural backgrounds) - and if those reasons had been previously explained, it's probable that a lot of the complaints about the gender issue wouldn't have been voiced.

Uhh, so you prefer the "missing genders" to remain missing for no apparent reason? I wouldn't mind if the background lore supported certain genders not existing or being exceedingly rare, but currently there is simply an embarrassing gap in the lore.


Edited, Apr 17th 2011 8:12pm by Omena
____________________________
#32 Apr 17 2011 at 7:54 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,530 posts
Omena wrote:
About sexual dimorphism: Many real species have immense differences between males and females. Even more so than WoW characters.

Here's a spider.


To be fair, spiders are different from people in many ways, and just because something in nature does it, doesn't mean we should. Additionally, in your own example, it is the female spider who is the much larger, more powerful, and generally less-**** one. Regardless of random examples, insectival or otherwise, there's no solid argument against a couple additional character choices. The devs obviously feel this way, too, otherwise they wouldn't have announced that they are going to add them.

It's funny that, upon release, there was a vocal number who complained about how the character customization could have been deeper, now SE mentions giving a couple more options, and some people are mad because they feel that everyone should be forced to customize characters based upon their - not the customizer's - personal aesthetic binaries.

Thinking that a character is unappealing is one thing, but thinking that others shouldn't even be able to play them because of that opinion is another problem altogether. I find neither Lalafel nor Elezen particularly appealing, but there is absolutely no reason to disallow other people from playing them. o_O

Regardless of your opinion on this foolish little issue, FFXIV needs all the help it can get. For years and years, many people have been wishing to choose their gender on every race, not just three out of five races. It's not hard to implement, it's not restricted in the lore, it broadens customization, and it responds to persistent requests made since FFXI came out almost a decade ago.

If you don't like the way a race looks, don't play it; let those who like it enjoy themselves. In the same way as, if you don't like a class, you don't play it; or if you don't like a piece of armour, you don't wear it. There's no reason to restrict others just because you yourself have an inarticulate, aesthetic problem with something.

Now can't everyone just go back to being friends again? I hear there's a lot of NMs out there to be attacked! Adventurers unite! *nya*
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#33 Apr 17 2011 at 9:44 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
1,948 posts
Omena wrote:
Uhh, so you prefer the "missing genders" to remain missing for no apparent reason? I wouldn't mind if the background lore supported certain genders not existing or being exceedingly rare, but currently there is simply an embarrassing gap in the lore.


Miqo'te males are exceedingly rare, the lore confirms it. Even the NPC in Ul'dah who talks about race philosophy mentioned that there's a rumour that there are Miqo'te males in Ul'dah, which remains a rumour because nobody has ever seen them. Satisfy?

At least years ago I didn't hear people asking Funcom for a female Atrox.
____________________________




#34 Apr 17 2011 at 10:15 PM Rating: Good
For those who didn't play FFXI or didn't get far enough to see the male Mithra, here he is.
Close up of his face.

A common complaint among players was that he looked "too emo".

Edited, Apr 17th 2011 9:16pm by FiliusLunae
____________________________
FFXI: FiliusLunae - Carbuncle
SCH 99 PUP 99
#35 Apr 17 2011 at 10:23 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
638 posts
FiliusLunae wrote:
For those who didn't play FFXI or didn't get far enough to see the male Mithra, here he is.
Close up of his face.

A common complaint among players was that he looked "too emo".

Edited, Apr 17th 2011 9:16pm by FiliusLunae


I personally loved the way he looked and would have made a male mithra in similar fashion. I don't understand why I can't make my own character simply because some people have a problem with it. Next thing you know, I can't even make a Galka or an Elvaan because they're too tall.

Do people really wanna flirt with ingame mithras who are 9 times out of 10 actual real life males? Cuz it's happened to me a lot, and it's hilarious.
____________________________


#36 Apr 17 2011 at 10:32 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
638 posts
Khornette wrote:
Omena wrote:
Uhh, so you prefer the "missing genders" to remain missing for no apparent reason? I wouldn't mind if the background lore supported certain genders not existing or being exceedingly rare, but currently there is simply an embarrassing gap in the lore.


Miqo'te males are exceedingly rare, the lore confirms it. Even the NPC in Ul'dah who talks about race philosophy mentioned that there's a rumour that there are Miqo'te males in Ul'dah, which remains a rumour because nobody has ever seen them. Satisfy?

At least years ago I didn't hear people asking Funcom for a female Atrox.


I have no idea what you're talking about with the whole "female Atrox" thing but that's a completely different game and lore altogether and is thus a moot point.

FFXI got pigeonholed into female only Mithra because the director wanted it so despite the lore only loosely reffering to them as rare. (And if so, why are there so many ******* mithran children running around Vana'diel?)

As another counterpoint, this isn't FFXI, this is FFXIV. They have a chance to make everyone happy by responding to a decade long request for these genders to be included. Not only that, but your example of the FFXIV lore "supporting it" seemed more like a joke about how they're not implemented yet but will be and will be all over the place.

As I recall, another character in Ul'dah also promised me we'd talk about how men "size up" in a certain department.
____________________________


#37 Apr 17 2011 at 10:42 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
1,948 posts
Kitprower wrote:
Khornette wrote:
Omena wrote:
Uhh, so you prefer the "missing genders" to remain missing for no apparent reason? I wouldn't mind if the background lore supported certain genders not existing or being exceedingly rare, but currently there is simply an embarrassing gap in the lore.


Miqo'te males are exceedingly rare, the lore confirms it. Even the NPC in Ul'dah who talks about race philosophy mentioned that there's a rumour that there are Miqo'te males in Ul'dah, which remains a rumour because nobody has ever seen them. Satisfy?

At least years ago I didn't hear people asking Funcom for a female Atrox.


I have no idea what you're talking about with the whole "female Atrox" thing but that's a completely different game and lore altogether and is thus a moot point.

FFXI got pigeonholed into female only Mithra because the director wanted it so despite the lore only loosely reffering to them as rare. (And if so, why are there so many ******* mithran children running around Vana'diel?)

As another counterpoint, this isn't FFXI, this is FFXIV. They have a chance to make everyone happy by responding to a decade long request for these genders to be included. Not only that, but your example of the FFXIV lore "supporting it" seemed more like a joke about how they're not implemented yet but will be and will be all over the place.

As I recall, another character in Ul'dah also promised me we'd talk about how men "size up" in a certain department.


Because, I have to repeat it again, FFXI/XIV fanbase is perhaps the ONLY fanbase that constantly make a big deal out of gender-locked races. Really, haven't come across such thing before, and certainly gender-locked race has been in gaming long before FFXI. For instance, I mentioned Funcom and Anarchy Online, which is released several years before your FFXI.

Edited, Apr 18th 2011 12:43am by Khornette
____________________________




#38 Apr 17 2011 at 10:48 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
638 posts
Quote:
Because, I have to repeat it again, FFXI/XIV fanbase is perhaps the ONLY fanbase that constantly make a big deal out of gender-locked races. Really, haven't come across such thing before, and certainly gender-locked race has been in gaming long before FFXI. For instance, I mentioned Funcom and Anarchy Online, which is released several years before your FFXI.


And why is that a reason to keep it that way? Just cuz all the other games have gender locked races, this one has to as well?

Edit: Leaving my original post in, I have to say. I honestly have no idea what side of this argument you're on or if you're making one at all. I have no idea if I'm bringing up counter points to something that isn't meant to be against the inclusion of the missing genders. o.o



Edited, Apr 18th 2011 12:52am by Kitprower
____________________________


#39Khornette, Posted: Apr 17 2011 at 11:01 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) If giving a side, I would be against it. Why? Said reason, you people are making too big of a deal out of this. If you want your male Miqo'te whatever, then I want my gigantic Dreadnought to do Orbital Bombardment on Ul'dah and 100 metres tall walking machines decked with Beam weapons and Missile. What, lore doesn't support it. Oh come on, Lore doesn't say there is no such thing outside this tiny planet/plane called Eorzea, pfft.
#40 Apr 17 2011 at 11:11 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
638 posts
Khornette wrote:
If giving a side, I would be against it. Why? Said reason, you people are making too big of a deal out of this. If you want your male Miqo'te whatever, then I want my gigantic Dreadnought to do Orbital Bombardment on Ul'dah and 100 metres tall walking machines decked with Beam weapons and Missile. What, lore doesn't support it. Oh come on, Lore doesn't say there is no such thing outside this tiny planet/plane called Eorzea, pfft.


...That's not the same thing and you know it. Perhaps we are making a big deal out of it but it's our choice and when it comes to MMO's most people tend to invest on character customization because they feel it's an extension of themselves in the ingame universe. You, however, are making a really big deal about us making a big deal about it. I don't really understand why people like you can't just go "oh hey congrats everyone who wanted it" instead of making arguments or acting offended because something that's been wanted for over about a decade now is being implemented.

Maybe you don't care too much on character customization. But if you don't I'd be inclined to say you're in the minority. This is a different game and if the PLAYERS want something in that game, it should be implemented. The dev paychecks come from us, ultimately. The games you're using as examples didn't have too much of a demand and that's fine too. But this isn't that game, and we're not that fanbase.

As hesitant as I am to include politics in my example, It's like arguing that same *** marriage shouldn't happen because other countries don't do it. It's not a valid reason. And you only make yourself look foolish when it comes to something that doesn't really concern you too much. It's not like SE is making all players switch to the missing genders.

Edit: If you want your dreadnaught then demand it. If enough people want it, it might just happen. Seems like you're the only one though, vs thousands of people who actually want the inclusion of the missing genders. Gather up a bunch of people and demand it. As ridiculous as your argument is, you have just as much right to demand and gather a following as all of us. And if it's implemented, you won't hear me saying "EW GROSS". I'll be saying "That's pretty **** unexpected but who doesn't love giant robots?"


Edited, Apr 18th 2011 1:14am by Kitprower
____________________________


#41 Apr 17 2011 at 11:25 PM Rating: Good
**
429 posts
Khornette wrote:
If giving a side, I would be against it. Why? Said reason, you people are making too big of a deal out of this. If you want your male Miqo'te whatever, then I want my gigantic Dreadnought to do Orbital Bombardment on Ul'dah and 100 metres tall walking machines decked with Beam weapons and Missile. What, lore doesn't support it. Oh come on, Lore doesn't say there is no such thing outside this tiny planet/plane called Eorzea, pfft.


Careful, your strawman is showing.
#42Khornette, Posted: Apr 17 2011 at 11:42 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) And the argument for these genders aint strawman in the first place?
#43 Apr 18 2011 at 3:24 AM Rating: Excellent
*
67 posts
I for one would love to see Male Mithra (heehee ffxi terms). I played a female character for years on 11 and am playing a miqo'te in 14. I like the idea of slender warriors and I have always favored the concept of speed over strength, thus why my original pick was mithra in 11. In the lore of 11, they made it a point that males do not go out in public and are VERY rarely seen in general, and galkas were asexual, i guess that is the closest thing, been awhile since i have read up on their lore. But in 14, they do not have that lore. They are not Mithra and Galka, they are a new race with a new background and fresh lore. It would only make sense that there are male/female counter parts. Now, there are some people out there who want to pick fights and call names about individual's choices to represent themselves in the game, that's fine, they will get their rate downs. I would like to play a character befitting of my "play style" in 14 and no longer require that to be female only. If there is weddings in this game at some point, my girlfriend is also a miqo'te, and I don't see same *** marriage coming soon (different flame post i'm sure). Point is, this is a great idea that doesn't conflict with the lore of the game and gives some people, like myself, the ability to play a character more in tune with their projection of their fantasy self. Plus, once this game gets up and running like I feel it will, that would be an awesome way to draw in some ffxi players who want to see what a male/female counterpart would look like, then get them into the game, hopefully to stay! :D

~Skye
____________________________


#44 Apr 18 2011 at 3:44 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
1,948 posts
Funny how pointing out that FFXIV lore does indeed say Miqo'te male are exceedingly rare, is being equated to name calling and defaulted.
____________________________




#45 Apr 18 2011 at 7:01 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
121 posts
Khornette wrote:
Funny how pointing out that FFXIV lore does indeed say Miqo'te male are exceedingly rare, is being equated to name calling and defaulted.


You were defaulted for bringing up a game that has pretty much nothing to do with FFXIV. And so what if the FFXI/FFXIV fanbase is the only fanbase you've ever seen making a big deal about this?

Im one who loves people who express their individuality, no matter what form its in. If someone would want to play as a female Roegadyn, they should be able to. It's simply not anything drastic, unlike your ridiculous example... which would change the very core of the game -.-. Why should that bother you or anyone else if these new sexes are added? Everyone can continue on being whatever race they want to be, and some people who would like to play a female Roegadyn, or a male Miqo'te will be able to do so. What's so wrong with expanding pretty much just cosmetic options?

Edited, Apr 18th 2011 9:07am by Mezzura
#47 Apr 18 2011 at 9:40 AM Rating: Decent
I have a secret hope that Male Miqote look like D&Ds Rakshasas, it would work because Mitra/Miqote kinda come across as Native American and the Rakshasa are based on Mayan culture... To find a good pic you're better off google image searching but there's loads I love that don't have to come off all Thundercatsy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rakshasa


The other option is pretty similar if not the same, Rakasta

http://roncarney.com/mystara/rakastas.php

Onbiously they'd have to hume up the face a bit, but with the right art direction could offer a bulky lion like and a slim panther/leopard like option
____________________________
FFXI:Sylph - Perrin 75 Hume THF; Retired (At least from my use any way)
EVE Online:ScraperX; Retired
WAR:IronClaw- Peryn SW;SkullThrone- Grymloc BO; Retired


#48 Apr 18 2011 at 10:04 AM Rating: Excellent
******
48,703 posts
KaneKitty wrote:
It's funny that, upon release, there was a vocal number who complained about how the character customization could have been deeper,
I'm willing to go out on a limb and say that the reason those numbers were complaining about the character customization wasn't because of gender so much the fact that XIV's character models are just shinier XI character models.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#49 Apr 18 2011 at 10:40 AM Rating: Good
***
3,530 posts
PerrinofSylph, ****** Superhero wrote:
Onbiously they'd have to hume up the face a bit, but with the right art direction could offer a bulky lion like and a slim panther/leopard like option


Oh I hadn't thought of that: FFXIV has the added advantage of sub types within the race customization. Keeper of the Sun, for example, could be a slim, FFXI-style-male-mithra; and Keeper of the Moon, for example, could be a more bulky, highlander-like-lion. Alternatively, I suppose that they could just as easily allow either option within either paradigm, it's not really necessary to restrict it to Sun/Moon, after all.

Hey, if that's what it takes to allow me to play a thin male, I'm all for it.
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#50 Apr 18 2011 at 11:11 AM Rating: Good
KaneKitty wrote:
PerrinofSylph, ****** Superhero wrote:
Onbiously they'd have to hume up the face a bit, but with the right art direction could offer a bulky lion like and a slim panther/leopard like option


Oh I hadn't thought of that: FFXIV has the added advantage of sub types within the race customization. Keeper of the Sun, for example, could be a slim, FFXI-style-male-mithra; and Keeper of the Moon, for example, could be a more bulky, highlander-like-lion. Alternatively, I suppose that they could just as easily allow either option within either paradigm, it's not really necessary to restrict it to Sun/Moon, after all.

Hey, if that's what it takes to allow me to play a thin male, I'm all for it.


EXACTLY what I was thinking about when I posted ^^ Though I obviously wasn't thinking about where my fingers hit the keyboard.

Edited, Apr 18th 2011 5:11pm by PerrinofSylph
____________________________
FFXI:Sylph - Perrin 75 Hume THF; Retired (At least from my use any way)
EVE Online:ScraperX; Retired
WAR:IronClaw- Peryn SW;SkullThrone- Grymloc BO; Retired


#51 Apr 18 2011 at 4:14 PM Rating: Excellent
Considering the amount of interest this topic generates, I think the introduction of the long missing male Miqo'te and female Rogadyn should be accompanied by a story line of some kind.

Maybe the Male Miqo'te return from a decade long journey, fighting a War against the Jungle ancients.

As for Female Roegadyn, same thing. Perhaps the females are the bigger and tougher gender among Roegadyn and they've been off fighting mountains.

It seems to me that the players that care about these genders care A LOT. I think a bit of story to help flesh out the identity of these characters would be greatly appreciated.



« Previous 1 2
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 20 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (20)