Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

UI Lag is caused by?Follow

#1 Apr 19 2011 at 3:52 AM Rating: Default
10 posts
did they actually optimize the code/servers, or is it just because there's hardly anyone on...?
#2 Apr 19 2011 at 5:49 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
4,506 posts
Wouldnt count on it being optimized or there being hardly anyone on causing it. Just logged on for the first time after the patch again, and it actually seems worse than before.

Disregarding the whole nay-sayer stuff about there being less people on than before the patch, and the UI lag still being quite tremendous.

I couldnt get into Behest (ugh!) so i figured i'd solo some coblyns, and the lovely UI decides that it wouldnt recognize my Ctrl input as fast as it used to and instead of Spinstroke i have the pleasure of using War Drum on every single monster surrounding me, that right after that proceeds to induce a little dirt nap.

The game was fine before this, but now it's getting a little anoying just to play it.

Marvelous job at slowly turning this into the new SWG as usual, SE.
____________________________
[XI] Surivere of Valefor
[XIV] Sir Surian Bedivere of Behemoth
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/2401553/
#3 Apr 19 2011 at 6:26 AM Rating: Decent
10 posts
That's weird, cause the UI lag is tremendously improved for me (on Mysidia). I just hope it doesn't come back when more people start playing again... btw i'm loving all the little changes/updates since i quit back in October, game is so much better.
#4 Apr 19 2011 at 6:33 AM Rating: Decent
***
3,416 posts
Same lag as always, placebo, blahblah.

It is server-side which is why it lags.
____________________________
SE:
Quote:
We really want to compete against World of Warcraft and for example the new Star Wars MMO.

#5 Apr 19 2011 at 8:04 AM Rating: Good
Sage
***
1,246 posts
A good indication of how it is completely random how much lag you get would been when teleporting.
Sometimes your character disspears instantly after the animation, other times you stand there like a lemon.

Yoshi-P did say however, they've been quietly working away at this in the background and they should hopefully have a permanent fix soon. I personally hope they rewrote it so that every single thing we do doesn't have to be sent to the server.
____________________________
Meowth!
#6 Apr 19 2011 at 8:20 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
108 posts
I'm ok with how it is at the moment (for the most part), but it probably has to do with me being so used to it now. However, the lag in the market wards is AWFUL. Trading stuff to my retainers takes forever.

As far as I know, they're going to improve it more in the future. It just doesn't seem like something they're focusing at the moment.
#7 Apr 19 2011 at 9:09 AM Rating: Decent
13 posts
just curious if yall have looked at specs on yer comp at all? i had all the same probs of lag all over especially in the market wards...got lucky and got me some money and upgraded the comp and now i have zero lag. Again i don't mean to come of has talking trash just curious.
#8 Apr 19 2011 at 4:58 PM Rating: Decent
**
395 posts
UI lag is caused (in this game) because it's all server side.
It's not storing hardly any data client side and is streaming it to you. It's loading the frame and position locally but it's not storing your armor values, your stats, or anything, and it's downloading them every time you open the menu - where most games continuously download this information and store it in memory.

This was no doubt done for the PS3 which has limited ram.

Edited, Apr 19th 2011 6:59pm by Eadieni
____________________________

http://www.prismaticllama.com/
http://www.sologensystems.com
The Prismatic Llama - Peru's llamas got nothing on us.
#9 Apr 19 2011 at 5:39 PM Rating: Good
***
3,530 posts
Eadieni wrote:
This was no doubt done for the PS3 which has limited ram.


Gosh, they better not bring up PS3 limitations in the future. When the time comes, port it to PS4 and call it a day. >:[
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#10 Apr 19 2011 at 5:41 PM Rating: Decent
10 posts
determined 2 things:

1) UI lag caused by current frame rate: UI Lag/Framerate have HIGH correlation. Test this yourself by toggling graphic settings between super high/super low. (btw, turning Extended Drawing OFF gives like 15-20 more frames).
2) UI lag caused by net latency: This has definitely improved. but based on comments above, it's probably just because my server is like a ghost town now, not because of improved network code (like i thought).
#11 Apr 19 2011 at 6:04 PM Rating: Good
****
7,106 posts
Quote:
determined 2 things:

1) Yes, the game runs slowly when the game is running slowly.
2) The lag was addressed in an update and the difference was immediate and clear. Perhaps your empty server is also helping, but the clear majority of the improvement comes from a change to the game code.
#12 Apr 19 2011 at 9:40 PM Rating: Excellent
I don't know much about how servers operate... how does low server population contribute to lag?
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#13 Apr 19 2011 at 9:51 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
176 posts
The less people in line, the faster you get served.
____________________________

TERA looks tasty...
#14 Apr 20 2011 at 8:22 AM Rating: Good
**
589 posts
Caesura wrote:
Quote:
determined 2 things:
2) The lag was addressed in an update and the difference was immediate and clear. Perhaps your empty server is also helping, but the clear majority of the improvement comes from a change to the game code.


I disagree, since 1.17 I find myself hammering buttons two or three times to move items to/from retainer etc. It definitely got a lot better but now seems to have regressed somewhat [imo].
____________________________
Solomon Grundy | Born on a Monday | Excalibur Server | Abyss: Welcome to a Higher Quality of Nerding™
#15 Apr 20 2011 at 9:01 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*****
12,702 posts
Everything is serverside so when that improves our responsiveness improves. In the open beta when they uncapped framerate everything ran FLAWLESSLY, so being 60fps cap plus serverside that isn't fully optimized = the lag we get.

____________________________

#16 Apr 20 2011 at 12:34 PM Rating: Excellent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
Response time: How long it takes the program to respond to your input

Network latency: How long it takes a packet of data to traverse the Internet

You're just confusing yourselves by trying to just call everything "lag".



Edited, Apr 20th 2011 1:35pm by bsphil
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#17 Apr 20 2011 at 1:19 PM Rating: Decent
**
557 posts
Mistress Theonehio wrote:
Everything is serverside so when that improves our responsiveness improves. In the open beta when they uncapped framerate everything ran FLAWLESSLY, so being 60fps cap plus serverside that isn't fully optimized = the lag we get.


I'm not following this. How does the framerate affect either network latency or response time? I'm not being critical, I just don't understand the connection.

Also, when you're communicating with Japan for every command, there is going to be a fixed amount of lag--at the very least, the speed of light limits communication between where I live and Japan to 34 milliseconds per message, one-way, not counting switching time, non-optimal routes (i.e., it's likely not a straight line). Add onto that whatever latencies there are in the server and client (time between a keypress and sending the signal on the network, time between receiving a request and processing it on the server), that even if the database query engine was fully optimized server-side and the number of requests was far below its capacity, you're still going to experience noticeable delays with each action.

I've never made a game before, but I imagine you get around this by prefetching data (you enter an area, and all prices from the markets are prefetched while you're wandering around), or prefetching the stats on the monsters and players in your region.
____________________________


#18 Apr 20 2011 at 7:53 PM Rating: Good
****
7,106 posts
Quote:
I disagree, since 1.17 I find myself hammering buttons two or three times to move items to/from retainer etc. It definitely got a lot better but now seems to have regressed somewhat [imo].

After the UI update, everyone agreed that the UI sluggishness improved dramatically. Unless you're arguing that server populations abruptly dropped at exactly the same time, I don't see how you can think that the update wasn't responsible for the improvement.
#19 Apr 21 2011 at 12:22 AM Rating: Good
***
1,146 posts
digadaga wrote:
determined 2 things:

1) UI lag caused by current frame rate: UI Lag/Framerate have HIGH correlation. Test this yourself by toggling graphic settings between super high/super low. (btw, turning Extended Drawing OFF gives like 15-20 more frames).
2) UI lag caused by net latency: This has definitely improved. but based on comments above, it's probably just because my server is like a ghost town now, not because of improved network code (like i thought).

^ This.
Just tried some different graphic settings after installing new graphic card drivers. With higher settings I had very noticeable "lag" because of the low framerate.
Lowering the graphic settings greatly improved the response time of the UI.
____________________________

Final Fantasy XI
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Name: Kyana (retired)
Jobs: THF75 PLD70 BST70

#20 Apr 21 2011 at 1:58 PM Rating: Decent
**
589 posts
Caesura wrote:
Quote:
I disagree, since 1.17 I find myself hammering buttons two or three times to move items to/from retainer etc. It definitely got a lot better but now seems to have regressed somewhat [imo].

After the UI update, everyone agreed that the UI sluggishness improved dramatically. Unless you're arguing that server populations abruptly dropped at exactly the same time, I don't see how you can think that the update wasn't responsible for the improvement.


I said since 1.17 the UI seems to be slower for me even after the improvements of the earlier patch. However, Palamecia seems to be getting busier, so it may be server lag.
____________________________
Solomon Grundy | Born on a Monday | Excalibur Server | Abyss: Welcome to a Higher Quality of Nerding™
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 16 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (16)