Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

need computer helpFollow

#1 Apr 25 2011 at 5:44 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,004 posts
ok so today i just received my 2 HD 6970's and i was under the impression they could run ff14 on max settings with that occlusion setting turned off. maybe its just me that didnt do something right, or i just thought wrong and ff14 is just a bigger beast graphically then i thought. the game with every slider and drop box set to max makes the game slow down to a crawl and looks very laggy.

my question is,with my sepcs is something not right for this setup, and did i crossfire it correctly and how can i tell its working?

specs (not overclocked):
core i7-950
4gb corsair 1333 ram (cpu-z says its running at 1024 but the person i got it off of, from ebay insists its 1333)
intel dx58so motherboard
2x hd 6970 crossfire

for the crossfire, the cards had 2 slots to put 2 crossfire wires on, so i attached both connecting the cards. and before anyone asks, they are plugged in properly to the board and has sufficient power plugged into both.
#2 Apr 25 2011 at 7:21 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
142 posts
This is certainly strange my single 6950 runs max settings with no problem. I just unlocked it to 6970 a little while ago and haven't been able to get in game yet. I have no idea why xfired 6970s wouldn't do it.

My specs are

amd 1090t (oc to 3.9)

8gig (2x4 1600) oc'd 1627

6950 gpu oc'd to 845 (now unlocked to 6970 shaders)

asus crosshair IV formula mother board
____________________________
Seraph LVL 80 War,80 RNG, 63 DNC, 40 NIN, 40 sam, 40 thf , 18 MNK

SAN D' Oria Rank 10
#3 Apr 25 2011 at 8:12 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,448 posts
Crossfire does not require both bridge connections. Just use a single connector. The 2nd port on each card is so you can set them up in a series for up to 4 cards.(with each additional card being bridged to the 2nd available port on the previous card).

Make sure your driver profile in Catalyst Control Center(CCC) is set up correctly, which unfortunately I have no idea how to do with ATI cards. Did you download the most recent drivers from the website after installing both cards?


[edit]just added ccc and driver for more precise wordage[/editoffgo]
another edit, your ram -is- currently running at that speed. I think you have to adjust its timings manually in the bios to get it to run @specified speeds. That shouldn't be the cause of your issue though.




Edited, Apr 25th 2011 9:19pm by FenrirXIII
____________________________
Currently Playing: FFXIV:ARR
Lacaan Vasiim:Cactuar
Free Company:Cactuar Corp<CCorp>
catwho wrote:
If you need a bard to get "good exp" in a merit party, you're the weakest link.
#4 Apr 25 2011 at 9:07 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,004 posts
FenrirXIII wrote:
Crossfire does not require both bridge connections. Just use a single connector. The 2nd port on each card is so you can set them up in a series for up to 4 cards.(with each additional card being bridged to the 2nd available port on the previous card).

Make sure your driver profile in Catalyst Control Center(CCC) is set up correctly, which unfortunately I have no idea how to do with ATI cards. Did you download the most recent drivers from the website after installing both cards?


[edit]just added ccc and driver for more precise wordage[/editoffgo]
another edit, your ram -is- currently running at that speed. I think you have to adjust its timings manually in the bios to get it to run @specified speeds. That shouldn't be the cause of your issue though.




Edited, Apr 25th 2011 9:19pm by FenrirXIII


i think i did. ill check that again i guess. could it have been that i installed both bridges?

also, is it posible my system is botlenecking? i dont think it should with my specs, but its possible i guess.

ill do the things you and the other above poster said before i try anythin else. thanks.
#5 Apr 25 2011 at 9:39 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,448 posts
It shouldn't be bottlenecking. Maybe so because of your 950 being stock but I highly doubt it. Your fps shouldn't be dipping under 30-35fps in a crowded city area(like around an armorer npc). Sounds more like a driver issue IMO. Are you watching FPS with fraps or something or just eyeballing what feels 'slow'? o.ob
____________________________
Currently Playing: FFXIV:ARR
Lacaan Vasiim:Cactuar
Free Company:Cactuar Corp<CCorp>
catwho wrote:
If you need a bard to get "good exp" in a merit party, you're the weakest link.
#6 Apr 25 2011 at 9:47 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,004 posts
FenrirXIII wrote:
It shouldn't be bottlenecking. Maybe so because of your 950 being stock but I highly doubt it. Your fps shouldn't be dipping under 30-35fps in a crowded city area(like around an armorer npc). Sounds more like a driver issue IMO. Are you watching FPS with fraps or something or just eyeballing what feels 'slow'? o.ob


i didnt need to use fraps, on max the game is like 5-10 fps.

ive been playing with multisampling, is that setting supposed to be able to be 16x also? the game seems really smooth with everything else on max at 2x.

edit: i just read that windowed mode wont run corssfire. is that possibly the problem? i dont like playing full screen because even a sneeze will crash the game.

Edited, Apr 25th 2011 11:55pm by Keysofgaruda
#7 Apr 25 2011 at 10:31 PM Rating: Good
**
266 posts
Keysofgaruda wrote:
FenrirXIII wrote:
It shouldn't be bottlenecking. Maybe so because of your 950 being stock but I highly doubt it. Your fps shouldn't be dipping under 30-35fps in a crowded city area(like around an armorer npc). Sounds more like a driver issue IMO. Are you watching FPS with fraps or something or just eyeballing what feels 'slow'? o.ob


i didnt need to use fraps, on max the game is like 5-10 fps.

ive been playing with multisampling, is that setting supposed to be able to be 16x also? the game seems really smooth with everything else on max at 2x.

edit: i just read that windowed mode wont run corssfire. is that possibly the problem? i dont like playing full screen because even a sneeze will crash the game.

Edited, Apr 25th 2011 11:55pm by Keysofgaruda

That could be the problem but I think that only happens on Nvidia cards. However, I have heard problems with CPU's only running 1 core while playing FFXIV, that could be your problem. Here's a thread on it.
http://www.ffxivcore.com/topic/30705-ffxiv-using-only-1-core-help/
#8 Apr 25 2011 at 10:33 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,448 posts
That....might be the problem. Yep. Heard some people have issues playing either windowed or fullscreen. I've done both back and forth and can't really notice a difference. But I have programs on my pc on lockdown so to speak, don't have any issues with the game crashing or being force-minimized. Multisampling(also known as AA or anti-aliasing) is the most stressful on your GPUs after the AO setting. x4 or x8 should be more than enough to give good visual quality and not slow the game down. Try it in full screen mode just for kicks and see if that solves the issue before downgrading your multisampling setting though.


[edit]If full screen does not do the trick it is also possible the game's multi-sampling settings are flawed. you could force this setting in the catalyst control center by setting up the ffxivgame.exe's profile to force anti-aliasing x4 or x8 or whatever you wish it.[/editoff]

Edited, Apr 25th 2011 11:34pm by FenrirXIII
____________________________
Currently Playing: FFXIV:ARR
Lacaan Vasiim:Cactuar
Free Company:Cactuar Corp<CCorp>
catwho wrote:
If you need a bard to get "good exp" in a merit party, you're the weakest link.
#9 Apr 25 2011 at 11:13 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,004 posts
ok well, thanks for the help everyone who took the time to read and reply.

i tested star craft 2 turning on the feature that tells me if crossfire is working when a game is being played, and it works when im playing star craft 2, so ffxiv just seems to not be optimized yet.

crossfire doesnt work in windowed at all, and in full screen it does, but barely adds anything since x4 AA still slows the game down. either way everything else is at max and looks pretty so im happy.
#10 Apr 26 2011 at 6:53 AM Rating: Decent
**
589 posts
Did you install AMC Catalyst Control Centre with only one card inserted into the PC? You should always do a clean install with only one card present then power down and add the second card and reboot.

The latest AMD drives were released on March 29th (version 11.3)

Download the latest CrossfireX Profiles from the AMD site. New as of April 25th

You can instruct CCC to show the CrossfireX logo in game when it's working.

If all else fails install RadeonPro.

____________________________
Solomon Grundy | Born on a Monday | Excalibur Server | Abyss: Welcome to a Higher Quality of Nerding™
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 19 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (19)