Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
This Forum is Read Only

FFXIV for Wii 2?Follow

#1 Apr 27 2011 at 1:02 AM Rating: Decent
*
215 posts
So for those who may or may not know, Nintendo has announced it will release a "Wii 2" next year.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/116/1164332p1.html

You can find some details here, but in summary, for those who don't know:

It will be more powerful than PS3 and Xbox likely.
Feature 6 inch screen on its controller.
And possible Nintendo will be trying to re-capture a more hardcore market.

So we all know Square Enix's big strategy is to "Re-Release" FFXIV on the PS3. However, I am secretly hoping Square is considering also porting it to the new Nintendo console. Sure its a little early to speculate, but I can't help myself. With the whole Xbox port seemingly never going to happen, I think a port to the new Nintendo system (And based on the reports I don't think there will be a system problem, unless there is no hard drive) would give this game a new chance it deserves!

Obviously releasing on the PS3 will help, but releasing on a new console I think gives FFXIV an even bigger opportunity to make a turn around and get sales. (Aka more newbies to tease in the game)

Discuss.
#2 Apr 27 2011 at 1:37 AM Rating: Good
***
3,177 posts
As long as Nintendo doesn't bring that Friend code thing to their new console.
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#3 Apr 27 2011 at 1:42 AM Rating: Good
**
568 posts
That would be awesome. They could use the touch-screen on the gamepad for skill macro shortcuts!
#4 Apr 27 2011 at 1:51 AM Rating: Decent
I am surprised at myself for saying this, but an FFXIV port for Wii 2 could be a great idea. I haven't really had a reason to buy a Nintendo since N64...which is kinda disappointing since I used to be such a Nintendo fan. Imo, Nintendo has been downhill since the Gamecube.
____________________________
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
Data Center: Primal; Server: Ultros; Free Company: The Kraken Club; Grand Company: The Maelstrom; Chocobo: Kweh
#5 Apr 27 2011 at 1:56 AM Rating: Decent
*
89 posts
I think this would be there best move to build the game from the ground up for a console, plus releasing it on the PS3 with where they stand now with the PSN online security doesn't seem too tempting. Imagine this happening with a FF XIV console release and the network being down, all **** would break loose and Squarenix tech/customer support phones would be ringing off the hook.
#6 Apr 27 2011 at 3:21 AM Rating: Decent
*
215 posts
seiferdincht wrote:
That would be awesome. They could use the touch-screen on the gamepad for skill macro shortcuts!


Exactly, this would be a great game for a controller featuring a touch screen.
#7 Apr 27 2011 at 3:30 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
****
4,506 posts
I'm not sure this is viable. As i recall, there was some really bad blood between Nintendo and Square. Though this was quite a while back, they pulled most of their Final Fantasy games from being released on a Nintendo console for years and years.

However, they DID release Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Crystal Bearers for the Wii, which was an absolutely spectacular game that everyone should buy and play. Oh, and dragon quests.

I... guess they're over it then? Nevermind, carry on. I for one welcome our new Nintendo overlords.
____________________________
[XI] Surivere of Valefor
[XIV] Sir Surian Bedivere of Behemoth
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/2401553/
#8 Apr 27 2011 at 3:32 AM Rating: Good
*
214 posts
Maybe as a wii-2 exclusive feature, you could use the motion (I'm assuming it's going to have motion like it's predecessor) and the touch screen abilities of the controller for crafting and gathering "mini-games."
____________________________

#9 Apr 27 2011 at 6:39 AM Rating: Decent
**
438 posts
Zelda MMO or GTFO
____________________________
Star Swirl on Behemoth AKA Best-hemoth AKA The Cool Kid's Table----60AST, 60WHM, 60SCH/SMN, 60BLM, 60MNK, 38 PLD, 34DRG, 31NIN, 27MRD
FFXI- Derpypony on Asura
Check out the Dream Network, a Twitch.tv community for XIV fans, featuring notable streamers like Mr. Happy, MTQcapture, Rahhzay, and Slyakagreyfox! http://dreamnetwork.tv/forum/index.php
Then maybe check out myself, EquestriaGuy, on twitch at http://www.twitch.tv/equestriaguy


#10 Apr 27 2011 at 7:03 AM Rating: Good
**
268 posts
garethrogue wrote:
Zelda MMO or GTFO


I don't think I would mind that actually... Zora Mage FTW!
____________________________
Kula Vermillion - Mysidia

#11 Apr 27 2011 at 7:29 AM Rating: Default
15 posts
Quote:
Quoted Text


Good O' times, anyway.. as kojiro-sama has pointed out, if FFXIV is going to be released for Wii 2 it will aid greatly to those specialising Crafting.. and such

other then that.. (Does the Wii have ethernet acess?)
#12 Apr 27 2011 at 8:49 AM Rating: Good
***
1,636 posts
I don't really see the new console being as powerful as the PS3/360 or attempting to reach the hardcore market. Nintendo hasn't tried to compete on these fronts arguably since the N64, and they've done fantastic being the family gaming system, I can't imagine why they would even consider changing that.
____________________________


#13 Apr 27 2011 at 8:53 AM Rating: Excellent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
UltKnightGrover wrote:
As long as Nintendo doesn't bring that Friend code thing to their new console.
This.

However, knowing Nintendo's terrible track record with online services, I'll just say don't get your hopes up.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#14 Apr 27 2011 at 9:25 AM Rating: Good
***
3,177 posts
KojiroSoma wrote:
I'm not sure this is viable. As i recall, there was some really bad blood between Nintendo and Square. Though this was quite a while back, they pulled most of their Final Fantasy games from being released on a Nintendo console for years and years.



This is mainly because of Nintendo 64 using cartridges rather than discs. Well, at least that's how it started. It would have taken multiple cartridges to publish Final Fantasy VII on N64 and it wasn't commercially viable for Square, or something like that. Now they have a policy to publish games for all consoles, but the Wii/Gamecube just aren't strong enough to handle the newer FF titles.

Yoshinori Kitase (producer of FFX/FFXIII) said that he likes to produce games and reach the widest amount of players possible (hence why XIII and XIII-2 being published for the 360 as well). I hope Yoshi-P follows suit and releases XIV for the Wii-2. It would surely help the playerbase since right now they apparently have bad blood with the 360 online service for whatever reason.

That is... if the Wii-2 doesn't use friend codes.
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#15 Apr 27 2011 at 9:31 AM Rating: Good
****
7,106 posts
Quote:
I don't really see the new console being as powerful as the PS3/360

Well, it clearly is, unless the reports about its chipset are just completely wrong. The PS3 is four-and-a-half years old, after all -- it would take some effort to release a modern machine that didn't surpass it in terms of technology.
#16 Apr 27 2011 at 9:44 AM Rating: Good
***
1,636 posts
Caesura wrote:
Quote:
I don't really see the new console being as powerful as the PS3/360

Well, it clearly is, unless the reports about its chipset are just completely wrong. The PS3 is four-and-a-half years old, after all -- it would take some effort to release a modern machine that didn't surpass it in terms of technology.


If they've actually released the specs or whatever, and I'm wrong, then I guess I'm wrong, but I really don't consider anything until the machine's actually been announced. I was speculating since the gamecube and Wii were both much lower powered than the other options in their console generation, that it seems unlikely that nintendo would attempt to leapfrog over sony and microsoft.

You are right though, it does seem silly that the new console wouldn't at least meet the PS3 in terms of system specs since its such an old system, but I don't imagine they'd go through the effort to make it significantly more powerful only to put out family friendly games that don't take advantage of that power.
____________________________


#17 Apr 27 2011 at 9:54 AM Rating: Decent
Considering they at least had the old code formatted for the 360 while doing negotiations and that the WiiNext is rumored to be easily cross platformed with PC and 360 it would be a no brainer. It would be a fantastic addition of subscriber base as well if they could have it as a launch title or in the first few months of release as there will be limited software to compete with on the shelf.
____________________________
FFXI:Sylph - Perrin 75 Hume THF; Retired (At least from my use any way)
EVE Online:ScraperX; Retired
WAR:IronClaw- Peryn SW;SkullThrone- Grymloc BO; Retired


#18 Apr 27 2011 at 11:31 AM Rating: Decent
*
200 posts
depends on how they plan to impliment Wii 2's R700 GFX(the ATi 4000 series) anything below an R770(includes 4730,4830,4850,4870) i'm pretty sure will have a hard time running the game.
____________________________


#19 Apr 27 2011 at 1:58 PM Rating: Decent
FelixValmont wrote:
depends on how they plan to impliment Wii 2's R700 GFX(the ATi 4000 series) anything below an R770(includes 4730,4830,4850,4870) i'm pretty sure will have a hard time running the game.


While I'm not one to defend rumors, the spec gurus have all successfully argued to my satisfaction that more or less this system will be approximately 20-40% more powerful based on chipsets alone than the 360... which they had a working version of XIV on. You can't compare destop equivilents or even MGPUs vs consoles. They work in a different realm. I'm a die hard PC gamer, but you can't deny that a closed system will always be more powerful than it's open system counterpart.

Some have argued that the system will barely be better than the 360/PS3... even if it was the same power... they have a version of XIV that runs on the PS3 they had/have a version that works on the 360...

Thus why I said if rumors about it being easy to port to and from PC/360, XIV would be a no brainer on the Wii successor.

Ultimately it's a wait and see thing. I don't expect a powerhouse from Nintendo, but even they would be stupid to release a system in the next year that wasn't better than what's been on shelves for a long time and can easily just undercut N on the pricetag.
____________________________
FFXI:Sylph - Perrin 75 Hume THF; Retired (At least from my use any way)
EVE Online:ScraperX; Retired
WAR:IronClaw- Peryn SW;SkullThrone- Grymloc BO; Retired


#20 Apr 27 2011 at 4:15 PM Rating: Decent
***
3,530 posts
KojiroSoma wrote:
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Crystal Bearers for the Wii, which was an absolutely spectacular game that everyone should buy and play


rofl!
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#21 Apr 27 2011 at 7:20 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
*****
12,707 posts
garethrogue wrote:
Zelda MMO or GTFO


You mean what Graal online used to be?
____________________________

#22 Apr 27 2011 at 11:33 PM Rating: Decent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
KujaKoF wrote:
I don't really see the new console being as powerful as the PS3/360
I've got a laptop with more processing power than the PS3/360. It's not hard to surpass 4 year old computing technology.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#23 Apr 28 2011 at 12:23 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
676 posts
Well... the Nintendo Wii is basically a Gamecube with a motion controller and full-size DVDs, so I suppose we can expect 'Project Cafe' to be the same thing, but with a Blu-Ray player.

Seriously, Nintendo stopped giving a crap about their hardware ages ago. The DS was a watered down N64, even though PSP was already out with far superior ability and their Wii was technically no different to their already existing console. They're light-years behind in terms of technology, and you honestly expect them to release Final Fantasy 14?

I'll believe it when I see it. Nintendo stopped catering for the hardcore market when they realised they could make a ton of money by re-hashing older games with very little investment or effort. Why would they give all of that up for the more risky endeavour of being original?
____________________________

FFXI: Siren Server: Seiowan Lvl 99 WHM, SCH, BLM
FFXIV: Ragnarok Server: Lemuria Glitterhands All Classes 50
#24 Apr 28 2011 at 12:53 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
*****
12,707 posts
Glitterhands wrote:
Well... the Nintendo Wii is basically a Gamecube with a motion controller and full-size DVDs, so I suppose we can expect 'Project Cafe' to be the same thing, but with a Blu-Ray player.

Seriously, Nintendo stopped giving a crap about their hardware ages ago. The DS was a watered down N64, even though PSP was already out with far superior ability and their Wii was technically no different to their already existing console. They're light-years behind in terms of technology, and you honestly expect them to release Final Fantasy 14?

I'll believe it when I see it. Nintendo stopped catering for the hardcore market when they realised they could make a ton of money by re-hashing older games with very little investment or effort. Why would they give all of that up for the more risky endeavour of being original?



I detect a ton of sarcasm but Nintendo never catered to the hardcore market for as long as I've been gaming. The whole reason they continued was for family oriented gaming, hence why their successful early console was dubbed the Family Computer, so in terms of originality eh, no one is original these days which is why almost every game is a shooter nowadays.

____________________________

#25Ilean, Posted: Apr 28 2011 at 1:30 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Oh yeah it makes a lot of sense to bring this game to the next gimmicky kiddie console that will probably just have released a couple of months ago and will be mostly bought by people dumb enough to be wowed by whatever gimmicky controller they come up with, only to realize a couple of months later that most of the games are shovelware.
#26 Apr 28 2011 at 5:05 AM Rating: Good
**
557 posts
Just for the record, the GameCube is technically superior to the PS2.
____________________________


#27 Apr 28 2011 at 5:07 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
270 posts
Theres something appealing about waving a controller in a certain motion to initiate an attack/spell/skill, but at the same time I think it would get tiring and the real hardcore players would probably stick to PC and the thousand-or-so button combination of a keyboard :P
____________________________
Refreshed ¦ Reborn
Shori Ohrensztein ¦ Ragnarok ¦ ACN
Reebie Baramnesra ¦ Midgardsomr ¦ MRD
#28 Apr 28 2011 at 5:36 AM Rating: Decent
12 posts
This now has my hopes up! I know the Wii2 is said to be more powerful than the PS3 and 360 and based on the leaked architecture it would pretty easy to port it from PC. I look forward to FFXIV on a console but I prefer buying something from Nintendo over Sony,
#29 Apr 28 2011 at 9:48 AM Rating: Good
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
Glitterhands wrote:
Why would they give all of that up for the more risky endeavour of being original?
Nothing says originality and not rehashing the same old game like releasing Final Fantasy Fourteen for the Wii 2.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#30 Apr 28 2011 at 10:49 AM Rating: Good
*
215 posts


Reebie wrote:
Theres something appealing about waving a controller in a certain motion to initiate an attack/spell/skill, but at the same time I think it would get tiring and the real hardcore players would probably stick to PC and the thousand-or-so button combination of a keyboard :P


The new controller isn't a motion controller. Its a normal controller featuring a touchscreen.

A-lot of you seem still sore about the Nintendo Wii being a total hardcore block =P
But with 360 and PS3 both with a motion controller now, Nintendo really can't release another weak console and still compete. And I don't expect a console that can stream to a 6 inch screen in a controller to be weak. (The screen is rumored to be HD also).

Really the biggest concern for FFXIV on the next Wii, is weather or not it will feature a hard drive or not. Alot of consumer products are switching to cloud solutions. And a MMORPG is really the only thing that needs a large harddisk these days. So it may not be worth it, since there are only a handful of console MMORPGs out there.

I look forward to the day when we can play an MMORPG on something like OnLive, streamed live to us. (That would solve FFXIV high performance demands)
#31 Apr 28 2011 at 11:15 AM Rating: Decent
**
438 posts
Zalim the Charming wrote:
garethrogue wrote:
Zelda MMO or GTFO


I don't think I would mind that actually... Zora Mage FTW!



my whole life would come to a halt for years if there was a Zelda MMO. It would be my new addiction, more powerful then FFXI ever was. I've already got the basic premise of the game worked out. It could totally work. All Nintendo has to do is hire me :D
____________________________
Star Swirl on Behemoth AKA Best-hemoth AKA The Cool Kid's Table----60AST, 60WHM, 60SCH/SMN, 60BLM, 60MNK, 38 PLD, 34DRG, 31NIN, 27MRD
FFXI- Derpypony on Asura
Check out the Dream Network, a Twitch.tv community for XIV fans, featuring notable streamers like Mr. Happy, MTQcapture, Rahhzay, and Slyakagreyfox! http://dreamnetwork.tv/forum/index.php
Then maybe check out myself, EquestriaGuy, on twitch at http://www.twitch.tv/equestriaguy


#32 Apr 28 2011 at 12:35 PM Rating: Decent
12 posts
zuogehaomeng wrote:


Reebie wrote:
Theres something appealing about waving a controller in a certain motion to initiate an attack/spell/skill, but at the same time I think it would get tiring and the real hardcore players would probably stick to PC and the thousand-or-so button combination of a keyboard :P


The new controller isn't a motion controller. Its a normal controller featuring a touchscreen.

A-lot of you seem still sore about the Nintendo Wii being a total hardcore block =P
But with 360 and PS3 both with a motion controller now, Nintendo really can't release another weak console and still compete. And I don't expect a console that can stream to a 6 inch screen in a controller to be weak. (The screen is rumored to be HD also).

Really the biggest concern for FFXIV on the next Wii, is weather or not it will feature a hard drive or not. Alot of consumer products are switching to cloud solutions. And a MMORPG is really the only thing that needs a large harddisk these days. So it may not be worth it, since there are only a handful of console MMORPGs out there.

I look forward to the day when we can play an MMORPG on something like OnLive, streamed live to us. (That would solve FFXIV high performance demands)


I think I read somewhere that it will feature a much larger internal storage like the current consoles do. Won't know for sure until E3 but if all this speculation of FFXIV on Wii2 and it being announced in June would totally make day. :)
#33 May 03 2011 at 7:32 AM Rating: Good
**
473 posts
FelixValmont wrote:
depends on how they plan to impliment Wii 2's R700 GFX(the ATi 4000 series) anything below an R770(includes 4730,4830,4850,4870) i'm pretty sure will have a hard time running the game.



Nah the system will be fine there won't be OS overhead to bottleneck the graphics.
#34 May 03 2011 at 9:13 AM Rating: Decent
**
557 posts
What matters most for FFXIV is the processor--I have merely a midrange GFX card (ATI 5770) but because I have an i7 I can see probably close to as good performance as anyone here who isn't overclocking.

FFXIV is designed for the PS3--it takes great advantage of multithreading.

According to the same source who said the Wii 2 would have a 4xxx ATI card, it will have a 3 core IBM chip. I dunno, that doesn't sound spectacular. But they key thing will be how much is done on chip and how much in code, I guess (as well as things like bus speed and cache). If FFXIV is optimized for the PS3 CPU (I don't know much about this gen, but if it's like the PS2 then you have to do a lot more in code yourself as a developer than other consoles), then it may be hard to port it anywhere else. But we haven't even seen it on a PS3 yet, so we don't even know how well it runs there.

Has anyone done any FFXIV performance tests with overclocking? I'd wager overclocking your CPU (if you can) does a lot more for the game than upgrading to a newer GFX card (when FFXIV doesn't even support a lot of the new features).
____________________________


#35 May 03 2011 at 2:11 PM Rating: Decent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
yfaithfully wrote:
What matters most for FFXIV is the processor--I have merely a midrange GFX card (ATI 5770) but because I have an i7 I can see probably close to as good performance as anyone here who isn't overclocking.
Well, I wouldn't necessarily say MOST important, but as far as the average current gen 3D game goes, the CPU is abnormally important. It's moreso a testament to the inefficiency of the game engine than anything. My desktop is running a core 2 duo E6600, a very old and by any measure, weak processor (my laptop can bench scores at least 4x as high on the CPU), but it can still run new games at mid/high settings because of the 8800 GT I have. However, I still struggle to run FFXIV on it. It's way too processor intensive for the old core 2 duo.



Edited, May 3rd 2011 3:14pm by bsphil
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#36 May 03 2011 at 2:36 PM Rating: Good
***
2,120 posts
^^bsphil's an @#%^ on some things, but he knows his technical sh*t...

******* isn't 4 characters...

Edited, May 3rd 2011 4:36pm by TwistedOwl
____________________________

#37 May 03 2011 at 2:37 PM Rating: Good
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
TwistedOwl wrote:
^^bsphil's an @#%^ on some things, but he knows his technical sh*t...
¯\(º_o)/¯

Just kinda happens.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#38 May 03 2011 at 2:39 PM Rating: Good
***
2,120 posts
bsphil wrote:
TwistedOwl wrote:
^^bsphil's an @#%^ on some things, but he knows his technical sh*t...
¯\(º_o)/¯

Just kinda happens.


= D
____________________________

#39 May 04 2011 at 10:56 AM Rating: Decent
***
3,177 posts
Glitterhands wrote:

I'll believe it when I see it. Nintendo stopped catering for the hardcore market when they realised they could make a ton of money by re-hashing older games with very little investment or effort. Why would they give all of that up for the more risky endeavour of being original?


I don't know, I'd say the Wii is the most unique in the market. The Super Mario Galaxy series is by far the most original interpretation of a game I've seen.

And if you compare Wii games to the 360/PS3, 360 is rehashing the same old FPS's every year. (Call of Duty/Halo, anyone?) Plus, PS3 and Xbox copied Wii's business model to try and get it working for them. (PlayStation Move and Kinect respectively.) I would say that the Wii is years behind on hardware, but the PS3/Xbox are years behind on being original.

Anyway, this new console is supposed to be backwards compatible with the Wii, so they might be going for the hardcore and casual market. Shouldn't be that hard to go for both markets. As long as they aren't trying to capture both in one game. (Kinda like what they tried for XIV at first.)
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#40 May 04 2011 at 11:18 AM Rating: Decent
**
557 posts
UltKnightGrover wrote:
Glitterhands wrote:

I'll believe it when I see it. Nintendo stopped catering for the hardcore market when they realised they could make a ton of money by re-hashing older games with very little investment or effort. Why would they give all of that up for the more risky endeavour of being original?


I don't know, I'd say the Wii is the most unique in the market. The Super Mario Galaxy series is by far the most original interpretation of a game I've seen.

And if you compare Wii games to the 360/PS3, 360 is rehashing the same old FPS's every year. (Call of Duty/Halo, anyone?) Plus, PS3 and Xbox copied Wii's business model to try and get it working for them. (PlayStation Move and Kinect respectively.) I would say that the Wii is years behind on hardware, but the PS3/Xbox are years behind on being original.

Anyway, this new console is supposed to be backwards compatible with the Wii, so they might be going for the hardcore and casual market. Shouldn't be that hard to go for both markets. As long as they aren't trying to capture both in one game. (Kinda like what they tried for XIV at first.)

I agree. I bought the Wii for my son, but I've really enjoyed games like Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, MarioKart, Super Smash Bros, Wii Fit--not to mention the old console games I downloaded and introduced him to. It's casual gaming at its finest. It even had the best next-gen Silent Hill game as an exclusive!

I've considered a PS3 or XBox many times, but only when an exclusive title like Heavy Rain or Alan Wake comes out. Yes, I'd love to play those, but beyond some exclusive titles (especially from Sony--if they released a proper Siren 3 on the PS3 I'd be there like shareware), I don't see anything that would get me off my computer, where the graphics are better, the games are cheaper, and I have a second monitor sitting here with the web to browse or work to do.

FFXIV is a family-friendly MMO that could be fun to play in a more social atmosphere than alone at a computer. They should try to work with Nintendo on this--and Sony just gave them a lot of incentive to.
____________________________


#41 May 04 2011 at 11:27 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
997 posts
Quote:
I've got a laptop with more processing power than the PS3/360.


Can your laptop be used to simulate supermassive black holes, and measure the gravity waves cause by objects falling into them?: http://www.wired.com/techbiz/it/news/2007/10/ps3_supercomputer/

Not that Sony wants people using PS3's for anything but mindless entertainment.

____________________________
Shhh! My common sense is tingling. ~ Deadpool

FFXI Server: Valefor Char: Lowkey


#42 May 04 2011 at 11:31 AM Rating: Good
***
3,825 posts
yfaithfully wrote:
FFXIV is a family-friendly MMO that could be fun to play in a more social atmosphere than alone at a computer. They should try to work with Nintendo on this--and Sony just gave them a lot of incentive to.


Do you not read anything the NPCs say? I more or less get told to F off everytime I turn in my locals, my companion constantly alludes to multi-partner sexual situations, and in general there are more than a handful of NPCs spouting off profanaties... Granted alot of it is disguised as British profanity that most people in the US would think is casual, for example bloody good time means F'n good time... ******** can refer to ********* or be the S word for crap or the F word depending on the sentance. There are a lot of these situations that pop up every day that I play.

I don't mind it, but I just wanted to point out it's definately not family friendly. The filter might ease up the PC chat, but I don't think it filters NPC chat... I could be wrong I never use naughty word filters.
____________________________
FFXI:Sylph - Perrin 75 Hume THF; Retired (At least from my use any way)
EVE Online:ScraperX; Retired
WAR:IronClaw- Peryn SW;SkullThrone- Grymloc BO; Retired


#43 May 04 2011 at 11:42 AM Rating: Decent
**
557 posts
Perrin, ****** Superhero wrote:

Do you not read anything the NPCs say? I more or less get told to F off everytime I turn in my locals, my companion constantly alludes to multi-partner sexual situations, and in general there are more than a handful of NPCs spouting off profanaties... Granted alot of it is disguised as British profanity that most people in the US would think is casual, for example bloody good time means F'n good time... ******** can refer to ********* or be the S word for crap or the F word depending on the sentance. There are a lot of these situations that pop up every day that I play.

I don't mind it, but I just wanted to point out it's definately not family friendly. The filter might ease up the PC chat, but I don't think it filters NPC chat... I could be wrong I never use naughty word filters.

I did think of that, but I don't think it's lewd enough to really be "family unfriendly," but certainly I could see that bothering people. For me, I just don't want incessant gunfire, bloody violence, screams, or obnoxious arcade sound effects in my living room. So far I haven't found the violence in FFXIV objectionable (although that might change when I start partying--I know during my first group experience in Aion my wife complained of the racket, which was incessant for minutes on end). Also, since you can level up as a crafter or gatherer (something I'm trying with an alt), you can avoid much of the violence for grinding.
____________________________


#44 May 04 2011 at 11:48 AM Rating: Decent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
Ootsonati wrote:
Quote:
I've got a laptop with more processing power than the PS3/360.


Can your laptop be used to simulate supermassive black holes, and measure the gravity waves cause by objects falling into them?: http://www.wired.com/techbiz/it/news/2007/10/ps3_supercomputer/

Not that Sony wants people using PS3's for anything but mindless entertainment.
Sure. Buy me 7 more laptops.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#45 May 04 2011 at 6:04 PM Rating: Good
**
264 posts
I saw a thread like this on the official forums. I have to say that if Nintendo can come out with a high performance, high graphics capable, internet worthy console with a good sized hard drive, then I think this could work. I've always liked Nintendo games, just not their gimmicky-esque ideas (i.e. wii motes, 3ds) or some of their business decisions. If they do come out with a kick *** system though, I will buy it. And would be glad to play FFXIV on that rather than PS3, especially if it doesnt have an annoying network interface or can at least bypass it.
____________________________
I also want double eyepatches, to increase my pirate bravado.
#46 May 04 2011 at 7:16 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,497 posts
A major issue right off the bat would be porting the game into the wii's infrastructure. I highly doubt it is similar to the PC and PS3.
#47 May 04 2011 at 8:23 PM Rating: Decent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
AmsaimSutavarg wrote:
I have to say that if Nintendo can come out with a high performance, high graphics capable, internet worthy console with a good sized hard drive, then I think this could work.
Nintendo has already announced that it'll only have 8 GB of flash memory - no hard drive.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#48 May 05 2011 at 12:20 AM Rating: Decent
*
215 posts
bsphil wrote:
AmsaimSutavarg wrote:
I have to say that if Nintendo can come out with a high performance, high graphics capable, internet worthy console with a good sized hard drive, then I think this could work.
Nintendo has already announced that it'll only have 8 GB of flash memory - no hard drive.

source? I wasn't aware anything has been officially announced yet. Not challenging your assertion , I am just curious to read it myself.

edit: <url removed>
This addresses the hard drive speculation. I don't think we will really know until e3, or at least close to it.

Edited, May 5th 2011 2:34am by zuogehaomeng
#49 May 05 2011 at 10:01 AM Rating: Decent
***
3,825 posts
bsphil wrote:
AmsaimSutavarg wrote:
I have to say that if Nintendo can come out with a high performance, high graphics capable, internet worthy console with a good sized hard drive, then I think this could work.
Nintendo has already announced that it'll only have 8 GB of flash memory - no hard drive.


No they haven't. A developer leaked that info. While I wouldn't put it past Nintendo to do something stupid like that... They haven't officially said anything other than the system exists and it will be playable at E3 in June. I guess I wouldn't care what the internal storage is as long as it's compatible with an external HDD...
____________________________
FFXI:Sylph - Perrin 75 Hume THF; Retired (At least from my use any way)
EVE Online:ScraperX; Retired
WAR:IronClaw- Peryn SW;SkullThrone- Grymloc BO; Retired


#50 May 05 2011 at 10:20 AM Rating: Good
**
967 posts
I think I am one of the select few who purchased a wii for something other than wii fit. I loved Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 and Monster Hunter too, and judging by the specs of the Wii 2, it would be a perfect home for an FF MMo.

Would be interested to see this to be honest.
____________________________
My FFXIV Blog

#51 May 05 2011 at 10:28 AM Rating: Excellent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
You're right, sorry, it was a leak, not a released statement.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
« Previous 1 2
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 16 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (16)