Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Kevven's Chronicles (a FFXIV fan comic series)Follow

#1 May 05 2011 at 11:22 PM Rating: Excellent
5 posts
I've noticed there are plenty of comics for every other MMORPG out there but I haven't seen but two or three FFXIV based comics. In any case, I figured I'd step in and maybe give this idea a little 'jump start'.

Introducing Kevven's Chronicles! A brand new (and still developing) comic series told through the eyes of a fun loving Lalafell! I hope you enjoy!

The comic doesn't really have a designated home yet so in the meantime you can click the link below!
http://perfectchaos86.deviantart.com/gallery/30068205

Edited, May 6th 2011 1:28am by KevvenSwift
#2 May 05 2011 at 11:58 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
638 posts
Ok, for the record, these are FLIPPIN HILARIOUS. You had my boyfriend and I Rofling at the connection loss comic XD
____________________________


#3 May 06 2011 at 3:30 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
513 posts
I lol'd at the Ventrilo one.
____________________________
#4 May 06 2011 at 3:51 AM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
*
111 posts
I love it! I was thinking about drawing my own (I have ideas for several one-shot strips) but I don't have much time as of the moment.
#5 May 06 2011 at 4:25 AM Rating: Excellent
*
160 posts
Excellent.
Traumatic though.....I am that Miqo'te.

Edited, May 6th 2011 6:45am by Grockle
____________________________


#6 May 06 2011 at 4:26 AM Rating: Default
**
370 posts
These comics are great.
____________________________
Thaumaturge/Archer/Marauder
http://xivpads.viion.co.uk/?id=1847776
Moogle Inc linkshell
http://www.moogleinc.com
Stand in front of me fool...I am a Thaumaturge
#7 May 06 2011 at 5:26 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,449 posts
Very nice, keep up the good work.

we like being entertained :)
____________________________


My FFXIV Blog



#8 May 06 2011 at 7:10 AM Rating: Good
*
116 posts
These are great, fantastic job! You totally have to get your own site together for these!
____________________________
FFXIV :: Valdai Devarda \ Lindblum Sargatanas "The Thread Closer"
.............................................................................................................
#9 May 06 2011 at 10:42 AM Rating: Default
***
3,530 posts
The illustrations are well-done and you choose some appropriate subjects, but I do feel that there's too much reliance upon popular, 4-chan-style memes; you obviously have some fine ideas and I look forward to seeing more as your personal style breaks away from some derivative sources and develops into its own.
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#10 May 06 2011 at 10:55 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*
181 posts
Good stuff ^^ I'm going to have to show these to all my FF friends lol.
#11 May 06 2011 at 1:53 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
41 posts
That vent one had me cracking up .... lol
____________________________

#12 May 06 2011 at 5:54 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,226 posts
Quote:
internet humor

I know it's deviantart, but come on. Don't take the easy way out.

I thought you had it out of your system with strip 3--just look at 5: market ward crash, source of frustration everyone has faced, not hilarious but relatable. Didn't need to make a withdrawal from the First Bank of Memes there.

4 is just words.

6 can do without the last panel. Really. Think hard: what does that last panel do for the strip? Does it deliver a punchline? No, the panel before it already did.

7 is, well... it sure is.

Internet memes are the most polluted reservoir of pop culture to reference. You seem to have enough time to draw these strips (and play FFXIV, wow!), so you could stand to devise a better joke or make a more interesting reference. Otherwise, you could link to a meme database in the first panel and save yourself the time of making the comic.

____________________________
w(°o°)w
#13 May 06 2011 at 5:55 PM Rating: Excellent
5 posts
I'm glad to see there are people out there that enjoy and share my sense of humor! :D

I'm still searching for a place where these comics can call 'home' though. Does anyone possibly know of any ppopular comic-based sites I could possibly look into?
#14 May 06 2011 at 6:00 PM Rating: Excellent
5 posts
Also, since this is only my third forum post I'd just like to say:

Hi! I'm Kevven Swift! I'm new to the ZAM network so please... Go easy on me. :P

Edited, May 6th 2011 8:00pm by KevvenSwift
#15 May 06 2011 at 6:05 PM Rating: Excellent
5 posts
KaneKitty wrote:
The illustrations are well-done and you choose some appropriate subjects, but I do feel that there's too much reliance upon popular, 4-chan-style memes; you obviously have some fine ideas and I look forward to seeing more as your personal style breaks away from some derivative sources and develops into its own.


Thank you very much for the input! Yeah, I do realize I'm putting a lot of meme references into my comics. Honestly they're last minute additions. I'll story board and sketch out the scenario and think 'This reminds me of a meme scenario'. Perhaps it's me trying to break the ice in terms of showing my comic to the general public. I do aim to steer away from essentially using pre-made sources and make the series 100% my own. I still feel like I have my training wheels on though. :P
#16 May 06 2011 at 9:59 PM Rating: Good
***
3,530 posts
KevvenSwift wrote:
KaneKitty wrote:
The illustrations are well-done and you choose some appropriate subjects, but I do feel that there's too much reliance upon popular, 4-chan-style memes; you obviously have some fine ideas and I look forward to seeing more as your personal style breaks away from some derivative sources and develops into its own.


Thank you very much for the input! Yeah, I do realize I'm putting a lot of meme references into my comics. Honestly they're last minute additions. I'll story board and sketch out the scenario and think 'This reminds me of a meme scenario'. Perhaps it's me trying to break the ice in terms of showing my comic to the general public. I do aim to steer away from essentially using pre-made sources and make the series 100% my own. I still feel like I have my training wheels on though. :P


Honestly, most of them seem complete without the reference to a popular meme. The one about lag is especially representative of this, as the reader wonders why one of the characters stops moving, and then they receive a humourous answer to that puzzlement in the penultimate panel.

Do whatever you wish, though - certainly, they're your comics, and quite a few readers seem to appreciate seeing another home for well-known memes - I simply thought that there was little need to eclipse your own humour with other jokes as they appeared complete even without them. Maybe I'll even add you on deviantart (if "add" is even the proper term) - I have some pretty, um, "nice" drawings of Spongebob, Pokemon, and J.S. Bach... >_>
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#17 May 07 2011 at 12:03 AM Rating: Good
***
1,636 posts
I Have to agree with almalexia, you're not exactly blazing new trails here. But you're art is pretty good, and once you find your own "voice" so to speak, and start coming out with original material, then you can definitely try and put your stuff out there for potential websites to put up. Unfortunately I doubt many would be interested in taking comics about a game that in the grand scheme of things nobody plays, but if its good, they'll take it.
____________________________


#18 May 07 2011 at 4:13 AM Rating: Good
5 posts
@almalexia & KujaKoF: Well, you can't please 'em all. Not everyone shares the same views as others. I thank you guys for your honesty. I wasn't out to 'win any hearts' or anything. I was just bored and decided to sketch a few comics here and there. They originally started from inside jokes between me and my LS mates.
#19 May 07 2011 at 5:20 AM Rating: Excellent
***
1,566 posts
KevvenSwift wrote:
@almalexia & KujaKoF: Well, you can't please 'em all. Not everyone shares the same views as others. I thank you guys for your honesty. I wasn't out to 'win any hearts' or anything. I was just bored and decided to sketch a few comics here and there. They originally started from inside jokes between me and my LS mates.


Keep doing what you enjoy!

It was brave of you to put them out there for everyone to see, and as someone who has worked in publishing I know very well the apprehension that can come from doing so. Kudos to you for taking it all in stride.

Personally, I got a good chuckle from them all. Hope you keep them coming.
#20 May 07 2011 at 12:02 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,569 posts
Very impressive. Funny as well!

I'll also agree with the crowd commenting on overt dependance on memes. You don't really seem to need them but they do add something when tacked on to what you already have. I'd say maybe keep them in check. Good to see them once in a while, but not overdone to the point they overtake your content. Keep up the good work!
____________________________
Products of boredom: 1 2 3 4 5
Besieged
Hopes for FFXIV: Fencer | Red Mage
#21 May 07 2011 at 2:21 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,949 posts
I found the memes made me burst out laughing, and I love the art style, so I approve. :P
____________________________
FFXIV: Cloe Delisle Scholar, officer of the SWAGGER Free company, Sargatanas server.
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 25 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (25)