Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Hatching-tide – Case Cracked (05/09/2011)Follow

#1 May 09 2011 at 11:31 PM Rating: Good
***
1,049 posts
The Lodestone wrote:
High above the Twelveswood, the Raven circles, evermore seeking out truth hidden amongst the shadows of the trees.

In this final chapter of a three-part series on Hatching-tide, field correspondent Oliver Goodfellow brings us a first-hand account of Hatching-tide's highly anticipated climax.
● Advent Averted?

The festive decorations have been taken down, the spriggans have returned to their dens. Where heavensent melodies rang out amongst the city's boughs, the all-encompassing hush that defines our city has once again been restored. After weeks of roistering and revelry, Hatching-tide has at last come to a close.

But not before the unfolding of a series of ***** events. As the Hatching Hour drew nigh, followers of the Dreamer gathered in a small clearing near her storage tents to witness Jihli attend to the rite of summoning. After a full recital of all 120 verses of the Dreamer's gospel and some frenetic waving of hands, Jihli climbed atop her mountain of Archon eggs and proceeded to fall into a deep state of meditation as the eager crowd watched on silently and waited.

And waited.

And waited.

And just when it seemed that the onlookers were on the brink of abandoning hope, the impossible occurred. A crack appeared in one of the eggs. A hush fell over the crowd as they slowly stepped forward to take part in what could only be defined as a miracle. And as hundreds collectively held their breaths, the shell gave way, and out crawled...not a god, not an archon, not a savior, but a baby dodo.

Yet even after the crowd cleared, leaving Jihli alone with the newborn skykin, the Dreamer remained with the eggs, a somber look full in her dark, round eyes. It was as if her mind had accepted the fact the Archons were not coming, but her heart refused to abandon the faith that had been placed there by her vision. I watched in silence from afar until she finally collapsed, the exhaustion of the day—and perhaps the whole festival—finally taking its toll on the young woman. With the help of her assistant, Bricot, I carried her back to her home and put her to bed.

However, when I returned the next morning to receive one final comment on the ceremony's unfortunate outcome, I was dealt a blow most unexpected. The vision, the festival, the betrayal, the failure—what came to her in a single night, several moons ago appeared to have been taken from her just as suddenly. Jihli's mind had been stripped of every last memory concerning Hatching-tide. She was even unable to recall me and our numerous conversations. For her, it was as if the past few months were but a mere figment of my imagination.

As a reporter, it is my job to seek the truth, and over the years I have come to hone a sort of sixth sense, if you will, that allows me to discern whether or not I am being subjected to a falsehood. And after all I'd seen over the past few days, it would have been simple to chalk the various happenings surrounding Hatching-tide up to an elaborate ruse conceived by Jihli and her followers. When I looked in the Dreamer's eyes that morning, however, there was no question Jihli was telling the truth...or at least believed she was.

But what did the public believe? It was when I interviewed the people of Gridania regarding their impressions of the festival, its outcome, and Jihli's transformation, that I was treated with one final surprise—a fitting end to what had proven one of the most surprising events to befall the city in recent memory—not one person had ill words for the former Dreamer or her bizarre band of followers.

The festival, no matter what its original purpose, ultimately succeeded in bringing laughter to our city in a time when spirits were at their lowest. When the celebration seemed as if it might be sullied by a dastardly deed devised by a rogue spriggan, the people of Eorzea banded together to recover the lost eggs, ensuring that the Dreamer might have her opportunity to conduct the rite of summoning. Yes, it is true no archons hatched from the eggs that day, no saviors descended from the heavens to save us and the realm, but perhaps we were simply looking in the wrong direction all along, for something truly great was born of all this. Something that just might save each and every one of us when the coming darkness falls.

And that, my loyal readers, is the rest of the story.

Oliver Goodfellow

Somewhere along the banks of the Black Tea River in Gridania...

"I see the mind purge was a success," mutters a hooded man as he slowly folds a copy of the Raven and slips it beneath his dark cloak.

"I did only what was necessary. Had we let her continue before we had completed our preparations, the consequences would have been dire," replies a similarly garbed woman huddled in the shadow of a nearby tree.

The man pauses for a moment, then slowly lifts his head to gaze upon the twin moons hovering in the night sky before whispering, "Yet time is of the essence. There are those who have already begun to piece together the clues laid out before them, and soon our secret will be a secret no longer. But until then, we must remain vigilant..."


Source: http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/topics/detail?id=8995fda81b8d3cc96cc03e566c7a79886c41f7d4
#2 May 10 2011 at 1:24 AM Rating: Good
**
589 posts
I didn't really follow this event at all - I rarely do take part in the special events unless there is something that I really want from it, the recent threads on the end of this festival and the conjecture that something special was going to happen did have me wonder though I didn't place much stock in it.

For those that did I guess this may not be the most satisfactory of outcomes? Realistically though, if this is an annual event in Eorzea it couldn't end any other way now .... could it?
____________________________
Solomon Grundy | Born on a Monday | Excalibur Server | Abyss: Welcome to a Higher Quality of Nerding™
#3 May 10 2011 at 1:45 AM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
*
111 posts
I imagine this event being a lead up to an even bigger event and gives us all a bit of anxiety, though it looks like either a red herring, or a schedule slip.

June just can't some soon enough.
#4 May 10 2011 at 1:56 AM Rating: Decent
*
144 posts
whole event was kinda meh, but apparently the backstory was important to the state of the world.

I do enjoy how the whole "loss of memory" thing has an explanation. I wonder what those two mystery people are up to...

Edited, May 10th 2011 3:56am by levelxplane
____________________________
Sir Littlej wrote:
i think i said goodbye, but i might have told him to go die, im not sure


Tera Kalinathon wrote:
i do like... wood o.o



#5 May 10 2011 at 3:37 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
161 posts
Quote:
Blah blah blah...

And just when it seemed that the onlookers were on the brink of abandoning hope, the impossible occurred. A crack appeared in one of the eggs. A hush fell over the crowd as they slowly stepped forward to take part in what could only be defined as a miracle. And as hundreds collectively held their breaths, the shell gave way, and out crawled...not a god, not an archon, not a savior, but a baby chocobo.


I made the story 100 times better.
____________________________




#6 May 10 2011 at 4:02 AM Rating: Default
*
138 posts
Most strange indeed,

Looks like they are making excuses for not getting any content out.

No gods, just another bloody Dodo. Was that supposed to be funny?

'Sorry guys, we were only having a laugh, you have to carry on killing rats for a bit longer until you chew your fingers to the bone waiting'

'waiting'

'waiting'.

They just killed the impending sense of doom didn't they?
#7 May 10 2011 at 5:22 AM Rating: Excellent
Sage
*
82 posts
I for one liked the event:

-no bells!
-lots of story
-lots of rewards
-new designed hats not strait reskin/recolor
-reasonable stats on equip to make the event worth it for that alone
-actual exploration especially if you sought out the eggs early on

Then they leave us with basically a very obvious riddle type
Quote:
I did only what was necessary. Had we let her continue before we had completed our preparations, the consequences would have been dire," replies a similarly garbed woman huddled in the shadow of a nearby tree.


Basically they are very close to giving us all things FF including choco's. And just to be clear I don't excuse the way things have gone, and the dodo is kinda a slap in the face "here you go more dodo's" but for sure we are close to great things. I consider our prior patches smaller groundwork style and we should be getting some real meat in this next battle patch. This is when I invite my friends back.
____________________________
http://goblinbombtoss.guildwork.com/
#8 May 10 2011 at 9:19 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
19 posts
@Miktam

Quote:
Blah blah blah...

And just when it seemed that the onlookers were on the brink of abandoning hope, the impossible occurred. A crack appeared in one of the eggs. A hush fell over the crowd as they slowly stepped forward to take part in what could only be defined as a miracle. And as hundreds collectively held their breaths, the shell gave way, and out crawled...not a god, not an archon, not a savior, but a baby chocobo.


I made the story 100 times better.
----------------------------

LOL! Yeah, my brain finished it this way before I actually READ the rest for the first time!
Would have been an awesome way for them to implement chocobos into the game. =D

Edited, May 10th 2011 11:23am by joel11683
____________________________


#9 May 10 2011 at 9:33 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
30 posts
This is exactly what I was expecting. A lackluster ending to a lackluster event. I'm losing huge faith in this game and its developers unfortunately. There were a few bonuses to this event though, I really do enjoy a couple of the hats and it was mildly entertaining commiting spriggan genocide. It's the small things that keep me around, and because SE has been focusing on such monumental tasks like the complete overhaul of the game, it's no wonder that the small things they are releasing are lackluster and meh at best. Hopefully this isn't a trend post ffxiv v2.0
____________________________
#10 May 10 2011 at 12:41 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
57 posts
Mictam wrote:
Quote:
Blah blah blah...

And just when it seemed that the onlookers were on the brink of abandoning hope, the impossible occurred. A crack appeared in one of the eggs. A hush fell over the crowd as they slowly stepped forward to take part in what could only be defined as a miracle. And as hundreds collectively held their breaths, the shell gave way, and out crawled...not a god, not an archon, not a savior, but a baby chocobo.


I made the story 100 times better.



This^^^^^^^^^^

before I even read the word "dodo" I wished with all my heart it was going to be a chocobo. Thus starting the age of return for the great chocobo...


fu se. fu.
#11 May 10 2011 at 1:12 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,825 posts
As very few others have stated... I enjoyed this event. The story was so-so but still valuable. Going to the locations to farm eggs, while not exciting, did offer a change of pace with a reward. I only did Gridania and part of UlDah because I had all the egg hats from Grid. I didn't purchase a single item for all my hats, I wonder how many of those whom are complaining did easy mode the thing. I don't fault SE for allowing the items to be purchasable, it was a fair thing to do for those that had the gil but not the time. However I didn't see many people at ANY of the egg drop locations during the entire event in Grid and UD, which leads me to believe the majority purchased their items.

The only people I came across in Grid were because they were on the Leve that has mobs pop in the same cave repeatadly. I saw NO ONE in the Ul'Dah areas.

I hope more events in the future are multi-week unfolding tasks like this one. While I WOULD like a bit more story, and a bit more challenge, I can't complain with this first non-bell event.
____________________________
FFXI:Sylph - Perrin 75 Hume THF; Retired (At least from my use any way)
EVE Online:ScraperX; Retired
WAR:IronClaw- Peryn SW;SkullThrone- Grymloc BO; Retired


#12 May 10 2011 at 1:44 PM Rating: Good
**
562 posts
I'm not even playing the game (yet) and I think Chocobos make the story 100 times better. But I think I see the problem.... Chocobos are "fun". If it was a chocobo then you all would have to start paying the monthly fee. You should be thankfull for the dodo.
____________________________
The more I train, the harder I get. The harder I get, the more lethal I am. The more lethal I am, the fewer opponents. The fewer opponents, the less to lose. The less to lose, the more I let up. The more I let up, the more room for mistakes. The more room for mistakes, the more I train.

#13 May 10 2011 at 1:49 PM Rating: Decent
*
206 posts
Perrin, ****** Superhero wrote:
As very few others have stated... I enjoyed this event. The story was so-so but still valuable. Going to the locations to farm eggs, while not exciting, did offer a change of pace with a reward. I only did Gridania and part of UlDah because I had all the egg hats from Grid. I didn't purchase a single item for all my hats, I wonder how many of those whom are complaining did easy mode the thing. I don't fault SE for allowing the items to be purchasable, it was a fair thing to do for those that had the gil but not the time. However I didn't see many people at ANY of the egg drop locations during the entire event in Grid and UD, which leads me to believe the majority purchased their items.

The only people I came across in Grid were because they were on the Leve that has mobs pop in the same cave repeatadly. I saw NO ONE in the Ul'Dah areas.

I hope more events in the future are multi-week unfolding tasks like this one. While I WOULD like a bit more story, and a bit more challenge, I can't complain with this first non-bell event.


In the second half, Nophica was littered with Spriggans in the Levinshower cave and one of the other Necrologos caves, so we would always get a ton of eggs in those runs.

edit: not to disprove your point or anything lol

Edited, May 10th 2011 4:07pm by LateReg
____________________________
#14 May 10 2011 at 2:22 PM Rating: Decent
***
3,825 posts
LateReg wrote:
In the second half, Nophica was littered with Spriggans in the Levinshower cave and one of the other Necrologos caves, so we would always get a ton of eggs in those runs.

edit: not to disprove your point or anything lol


See, I rarely see any one at Nophicas Wells even without the event. That's part of the reason I moved back to Grid... if I'm going to play by myself I might as well fight in my home nation. I was very surprised when I didn't see any one around the levinshower cave, not even the usual two or three AFK people at the aetheryte.
____________________________
FFXI:Sylph - Perrin 75 Hume THF; Retired (At least from my use any way)
EVE Online:ScraperX; Retired
WAR:IronClaw- Peryn SW;SkullThrone- Grymloc BO; Retired


#15 May 10 2011 at 3:21 PM Rating: Decent
**
821 posts
Perrin, ****** Superhero wrote:
LateReg wrote:
In the second half, Nophica was littered with Spriggans in the Levinshower cave and one of the other Necrologos caves, so we would always get a ton of eggs in those runs.

edit: not to disprove your point or anything lol


See, I rarely see any one at Nophicas Wells even without the event. That's part of the reason I moved back to Grid... if I'm going to play by myself I might as well fight in my home nation. I was very surprised when I didn't see any one around the levinshower cave, not even the usual two or three AFK people at the aetheryte.


If you rarely see any people at Nophica, Rabanastre isn't aware of the good leves in this game that are worthwhile doing, IE Levinshower. It's not like its crowded in Nophica or anything on Istory...but due to the fact that Levinshower is there and its one of the best leves that exist I always see someone in Nophica.
#16 May 10 2011 at 5:28 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
41 posts
That honestly feels like a big let down, a rick roll, so to speak. If they would have actually placed some cutscenes or done this ingame however, it would have been much better. The fact that the flavor for this event remains on the lodestone is unsatisfying.
#17 May 10 2011 at 5:39 PM Rating: Good
**
335 posts
Shezard wrote:
Perrin, ****** Superhero wrote:
LateReg wrote:
In the second half, Nophica was littered with Spriggans in the Levinshower cave and one of the other Necrologos caves, so we would always get a ton of eggs in those runs.

edit: not to disprove your point or anything lol


See, I rarely see any one at Nophicas Wells even without the event. That's part of the reason I moved back to Grid... if I'm going to play by myself I might as well fight in my home nation. I was very surprised when I didn't see any one around the levinshower cave, not even the usual two or three AFK people at the aetheryte.


If you rarely see any people at Nophica, Rabanastre isn't aware of the good leves in this game that are worthwhile doing, IE Levinshower. It's not like its crowded in Nophica or anything on Istory...but due to the fact that Levinshower is there and its one of the best leves that exist I always see someone in Nophica.


I can say from my personal experience that people on Rabanastre were killing the Spriggans in all of the locations. When I went to go and do the event I ran into people at each area and had to fight for mobs occasionally.
____________________________


This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 14 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (14)