Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Classes and JobsFollow

#1 May 19 2011 at 7:29 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,146 posts
When reading Matsuis post "Battle Reform Blueprint" the part about classes and specialized jobs got me very excited.
We might see the return of all the names we know and love.

EDIT: THE FOLLOWING IS ALL JUST SPECULATION AND NOTHING OF IT IS OFFICIAL INFO!

It's great that the jobs will be avaliable through quests. Unlocking them by ranking up the required classes and doing the quests will be a nice new goal to achive.

What kind of job will be possible with each class or combination of classes?
Maybe they'll even use crafting/gathering classes?

White Mage: Conjurer
Black Mage: Conjurer
Time Mage: Thaumaturge
Necromancer: Thaumaturge + Arcanist
Red Mage: Gladiator + Conjurer + Thaumaturge
Blue Mage: Pugilist + Shepherd
Thief: Pugilist
Monk: Pugilist
Ninja: Pugilist + Alchemist
Dark Knight: Marauder + Thaumaturge
Paladin: Gladiator + Conjurer
Samurai: Gladiator + Lancer
Dragoon: Lancer
Summoner: Conjurer + Arcanist
Canonneer: Musketeer + Alchemist
Beastmaster: Marauder + Shepherd
Dancer: Pugilist + Arcanist
Bard: Gladiator + Arcanist
Geomancer: Conjurer + Miner
Berserker: Marauder
Soldier: Gladiator + Thaumaturge
Fencer: Gladiator + Pugilist
...

There are so many possibilities. It's great ^^

Edited, May 19th 2011 4:31pm by RidingBean
____________________________

Final Fantasy XI
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Name: Kyana (retired)
Jobs: THF75 PLD70 BST70

#2 May 19 2011 at 7:38 AM Rating: Good
**
967 posts
Um I don't think you have to rank up the required class, you might have misread that, I think it means you just need any job at Rank 30.
____________________________
My FFXIV Blog

#3 May 19 2011 at 7:43 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
176 posts
As long as they don't have the same squatting animation...
____________________________

TERA looks tasty...
#4 May 19 2011 at 7:51 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
437 posts
I agree, I think you may have mis read a little, the possibilities are great but lets not get carried away before specifics are given...

Quote:

The job system - that series-defining trademark - will be implemented in FINAL FANTASY XIV (details such as specific jobs TBA). Quests to unlock each job will become available once you have reached a certain rank in the corresponding class.
Rather than being advanced versions of classes, we would like players to think of jobs as specialized playing styles optimized for partying. While playing as a particular job will render you unable to equip certain actions of other classes, you will be compensated with access to exclusive actions, which can be acquired through quests.


It says they will have jobs but doesnt say they will use traditional names.... This is the kind of hype that leads to disappointment when they dont deliver what you think they have said...

Edit: the OP has changed so this doesnt really apply now. Thanks

Edited, May 19th 2011 12:36pm by Metin
____________________________

Metin - Phoenix - BLM75 WHM48 Retired

http://cojenova.enjin.com/ff14forum

#5 May 19 2011 at 8:00 AM Rating: Good
***
1,146 posts
clarkeyboy wrote:
Um I don't think you have to rank up the required class, you might have misread that, I think it means you just need any job at Rank 30.

Quote:
The job system - that series-defining trademark - will be implemented in FINAL FANTASY XIV (details such as specific jobs TBA). Quests to unlock each job will become available once you have reached a certain rank in the corresponding class.

Seems like a branch system to me where you can specialize the class you're playing into a "job".
Maybe there won't be a combination of classes required for any job, but you'll have to get at least one corresponding class up to a certain rank.

I just thought this might work like the systems of games like Disgaea or FF-Tactics combined with advanced job quests and AF quests from FFXI, which would be pretty cool.

Quote:
It says they will have jobs but doesnt say they will use traditional names.... This is the kind of hype that leads to disappointment when they dont deliver what you think they have said...

It's true that it wasn't mentioned anywhere what kind of job names they'll use, but what would be a trademark then?
Final Fantasy always used the same classes/jobs to some extent and I don't think they won't use them anymore.

I'm not trying to give wrong info here and missleading people is the last thing I'd like to do.
I for my part won't be disappointed no matter how they call the jobs. The system alone and the quests to unlock and job specific gear are more than enough to get me excited.

Edited, May 19th 2011 4:25pm by RidingBean
____________________________

Final Fantasy XI
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Name: Kyana (retired)
Jobs: THF75 PLD70 BST70

#6 May 19 2011 at 8:31 AM Rating: Good
**
697 posts
Yoshi-P has openly said that he wants the game to FEEL like a Final Fantasy, so logically that would mean the traditional class names. Plus, he showed concept art a while back for what he himself called "black mage" gear. So I'm betting the farm that they will be using normal FF job names.

As for how it works, my guess would be this: Get Conjurer to Rank X (probably 25 or 30), a quest appears in the Conjurer's Guild. This quest branches; one path to Black mage abilities, one to White Mage abilities. By equipping those abilities, you become that job and cannot equip certain other job abilities. Example: You equip Cure III, and can no longer equip anything above Fire II.
____________________________
FFXI: Odin - Merylstryfe Summoner Woo Hoo!


#7 May 19 2011 at 8:42 AM Rating: Decent
34 posts
jobs sound like an archtype to me
#8 May 19 2011 at 8:51 AM Rating: Decent
29 posts
Are new jobs actually comming in the June patch, or is this all speculation? I understand the vague info that was stated, however to think that we would have new classes/jobs right around the corner with no hype surrounding it seems odd.
#9 May 19 2011 at 8:58 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
437 posts
Quote:
It's true that it wasn't mentioned anywhere what kind of job names they'll use, but what would be a trademark then?


Thinking back to my favourite FF games, 6,7 and 11 in each its was the system that helped define it. The esper 'system', the materia 'system', the sub-job 'system' each helped define the game and so a job system will define 14.
Quote:
The job system - that series-defining trademark...


I personally believe we will see a return of traditional names but I am more excited by the development of a new 'system' but I also think the system was the plan all along... from the very first time I played the prospect of tradition jobs as advanced options seemed to be what was planned. In XI we would pick say WAR and we would learn dagger skill or sword skill at the same time... XIV we started at the more basic level from the off. Start by learning your basic skill and then you can become a BLM or WAR or whatever.

Your revised OP is much better ;)
____________________________

Metin - Phoenix - BLM75 WHM48 Retired

http://cojenova.enjin.com/ff14forum

#10 May 19 2011 at 8:59 AM Rating: Good
***
1,146 posts
macdiesel wrote:
Are new jobs actually comming in the June patch, or is this all speculation? I understand the vague info that was stated, however to think that we would have new classes/jobs right around the corner with no hype surrounding it seems odd.

While it would be nice to get new jobs with the next patch I don't think we'll see them anytime soon.
In 1.18 will get the first dungeons and the first part of these battle related changes.
What and how much of Matsuis list we'll see implemented in 1.18...only time will tell.
____________________________

Final Fantasy XI
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Name: Kyana (retired)
Jobs: THF75 PLD70 BST70

#11 May 19 2011 at 9:33 AM Rating: Good
***
1,146 posts
Metin wrote:
Thinking back to my favourite FF games, 6,7 and 11 in each its was the system that helped define it. The esper 'system', the materia 'system', the sub-job 'system' each helped define the game and so a job system will define 14.

The FFXIV system is that the weapon/tool you equip defines your class and that you can mix skills, abilities and spells between classes to some extent.
It's a good system. Although weapon choices for each class are limited, the ability to mix skills of different classes took the subjob system of FFXI to the next stage.

Metin wrote:
Quote:
The job system - that series-defining trademark...

In XI we would pick say WAR and we would learn dagger skill or sword skill at the same time... XIV we started at the more basic level from the off. Start by learning your basic skill and then you can become a BLM or WAR or whatever.

I agree.
And I bet they'll keep the current system of weapon/tool defining class/job. There are still alot of weapon types missing. Greatswords, katanas, scythes (not as tools), crossbows, axes, sabers, instruments, daggers (I don't understand why a Gladiator would use daggers),...

When you go down to the lower level of the Arcanist guild in Limsa, you'll see what most likely will be their weapon for example. Looks like a mini alembic on a stick to me ^^
Or the guns used by the musketeers in the lower level of their guild.

I just hope they'll give us jobs like Beastmaster, Bard, Dancer and Blue Mage again.

Metin wrote:
Your revised OP is much better ;)

Thx ^^
____________________________

Final Fantasy XI
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Name: Kyana (retired)
Jobs: THF75 PLD70 BST70

#12 May 19 2011 at 10:01 AM Rating: Good
**
821 posts
Metin wrote:
I agree, I think you may have mis read a little, the possibilities are great but lets not get carried away before specifics are given...

Quote:

The job system - that series-defining trademark - will be implemented in FINAL FANTASY XIV (details such as specific jobs TBA). Quests to unlock each job will become available once you have reached a certain rank in the corresponding class.
Rather than being advanced versions of classes, we would like players to think of jobs as specialized playing styles optimized for partying. While playing as a particular job will render you unable to equip certain actions of other classes, you will be compensated with access to exclusive actions, which can be acquired through quests.


It says they will have jobs but doesnt say they will use traditional names.... This is the kind of hype that leads to disappointment when they dont deliver what you think they have said...


Um and I think you misread the post.

I will mark the actual IMPORTANT stuff for you, that the OP was refering to with his assumptions.

Quote:
The job system - that series-defining trademark - will be implemented in FINAL FANTASY XIV (details such as specific jobs TBA). Quests to unlock each job will become available once you have reached a certain rank in the corresponding class.
Rather than being advanced versions of classes, we would like players to think of jobs as specialized playing styles optimized for partying. While playing as a particular job will render you unable to equip certain actions of other classes, you will be compensated with access to exclusive actions, which can be acquired through quests.


This in fact means exactly what the OP is refering to. You don't have to have ANY class at any rank, you have to have a CERTAIN class at a specific rank to unlock a SPECIFIC job corresponding to that class.

That doesn't mean there will be any old school names coming back, jobs or w/e, but it does mean what the OP was actually going for. He was just giving examples of what COULD be coming. If they are coming or not, is just rumour, but HOW they are coming seems to be set.

Edited, May 19th 2011 4:03pm by Shezard
#13 May 19 2011 at 10:35 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
437 posts
Shezard, you're a little late the OP has changed... the "we might see the return of all the names we know and love" being a key part.
____________________________

Metin - Phoenix - BLM75 WHM48 Retired

http://cojenova.enjin.com/ff14forum

#14 May 19 2011 at 10:37 AM Rating: Decent
**
967 posts
RidingBean wrote:
clarkeyboy wrote:
Um I don't think you have to rank up the required class, you might have misread that, I think it means you just need any job at Rank 30.

Quote:
The job system - that series-defining trademark - will be implemented in FINAL FANTASY XIV (details such as specific jobs TBA). Quests to unlock each job will become available once you have reached a certain rank in the corresponding class.

Seems like a branch system to me where you can specialize the class you're playing into a "job".
Maybe there won't be a combination of classes required for any job, but you'll have to get at least one corresponding class up to a certain rank.

I just thought this might work like the systems of games like Disgaea or FF-Tactics combined with advanced job quests and AF quests from FFXI, which would be pretty cool.

Quote:
It says they will have jobs but doesnt say they will use traditional names.... This is the kind of hype that leads to disappointment when they dont deliver what you think they have said...

It's true that it wasn't mentioned anywhere what kind of job names they'll use, but what would be a trademark then?
Final Fantasy always used the same classes/jobs to some extent and I don't think they won't use them anymore.

I'm not trying to give wrong info here and missleading people is the last thing I'd like to do.
I for my part won't be disappointed no matter how they call the jobs. The system alone and the quests to unlock and job specific gear are more than enough to get me excited.

Edited, May 19th 2011 4:25pm by RidingBean


Aha thanks for that, my skills at reading comprehension have now ranked up! Sorry to doubt you, but ugh, levelling all the way to 30 on everything to unlock the next thing. Do not want :(
____________________________
My FFXIV Blog

#15 May 19 2011 at 10:57 AM Rating: Excellent
***
1,146 posts
clarkeyboy wrote:
Aha thanks for that, my skills at reading comprehension have now ranked up! Sorry to doubt you, but ugh, levelling all the way to 30 on everything to unlock the next thing. Do not want :(

It might be possible to unlock jobs at different ranks.
For example, you could unlock "Paladin" with Gladiator R20 and "Samurai" once you hit Gladiator R40.
____________________________

Final Fantasy XI
Server: Quetzalcoatl
Name: Kyana (retired)
Jobs: THF75 PLD70 BST70

#16 May 19 2011 at 1:07 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
626 posts
the new job system to me sounds to be identical to FFXI; start off with one class, get to a certain level, do a quest to open that class, change to said class.
not that im against it because im not, i just hope my THM doesnt dissapear, soloing is boring.
____________________________

This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 16 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (16)