Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Don't forget to add this to 1.18!Follow

#1 May 24 2011 at 11:36 AM Rating: Default
8 posts
Logic!

I know this is a fantasy game, but its based on real world logic, which is why there is gravity etc...

So, when a yard bird easily kills a humanoid in full plate gear with a shield and sword it hurts the immersion. It defies logic and breaks the game. Just take the models for all these type of creatures and make them low level, like under level 15. That makes more sense then an seasoned veteran who can summon wildfires and tornados dying to a bird/squirrel you cook for dinner.

thank you.
#2 May 24 2011 at 11:40 AM Rating: Good
*
245 posts
your first mmorpg i guess :P

u will get used to it :)
____________________________
Tarutaru! Summoner 75 , Ranger 75 ,Samurai 75, Blue mage 75
subs or 40+: Blm/whm/rdm/war/nin/thf
All avatars
WW 100+3
#3 May 24 2011 at 11:41 AM Rating: Good
*
127 posts
That level 80 squirrel looks just like the level 1 squirrel you fought in the beginning of the game.

Be warned though. He's nothing like it...
#4 May 24 2011 at 11:43 AM Rating: Decent
8 posts
Overffxi wrote:
your first mmorpg i guess :P

u will get used to it :)



It's not.

have a few years in 11, warcraft, conan, and a few others.

Even though 11 copied monster models at least they were somewhat dangerous at low levels. giant bees and lizards and such. But things like sheep are just silly. Here is an opportunity to fix it. It can't be that hard to come up with better monsters to kill.
#5 May 24 2011 at 11:47 AM Rating: Good
*
127 posts
Quote:
But things like sheep are just silly.


Sheep are deadly beasts. The higher level ones are actually rams, and have horns. They also know a special attack called Dream Bubble, which is a form of magic.

Go outside and 1v1 a ram that actually wants to kill you. When you come back, tell me that they should come up with better monsters.

Edited, May 24th 2011 12:47pm by Crevox
#6 May 24 2011 at 11:52 AM Rating: Decent
8 posts
Crevox wrote:
Quote:
But things like sheep are just silly.


Sheep are deadly beasts. The higher level ones are actually rams, and have horns. They also know a special attack called Dream Bubble, which is a form of magic.

Go outside and 1v1 a ram that actually wants to kill you. When you come back, tell me that they should come up with better monsters.

Edited, May 24th 2011 12:47pm by Crevox



I said sheep not rams. However, there are several classes, given appropriate equipment that would 1-shot a ram. Even still, I would accept rams over some of these 9 inch tall beetles that take 9 sword swings to kill. Maybe you were joking haha excuse my seriousness if you were :)

#7 May 24 2011 at 12:01 PM Rating: Excellent
*
107 posts
Have you ever looked a sheep in the eye? Scary stuff man scary stuff...
____________________________


#8 May 24 2011 at 12:03 PM Rating: Good
****
4,146 posts
Crevox wrote:
Go outside and 1v1 a ram that actually wants to kill you. When you come back, tell me that they should come up with better monsters.


There is absolutely no point to killing a ram. I think that is what you are missing. If I walked up to a beetle with a sword drawn... it just sounds too ridiculous to even finish that statement. Is it too much to ask for some mobs that at least have the potential to do more than make holes in leaves? I almost expected a guildleve that would have me save a picnic from an anthill...
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#9 May 24 2011 at 12:09 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
32 posts
FilthMcNasty wrote:

I almost expected a guildleve that would have me save a picnic from an anthill...


Considering the size of ants in this game that would be quite a leve actually~


Not every enemy has to be a mass epical monstrous beast of ferocious evil, save those for bosses and really major enemy types. If every random on field encounter is a Behemoth and Fafnir what are we going to have for a boss fight to impress us?
#10 May 24 2011 at 12:16 PM Rating: Default
8 posts
I don't know, i can't believe how many people don't 100% agree with me. I mean, should i actually gain experiencing from stabbing a squirrel? I mean, come on. Furthermore, how can anyone say it is ok that a small beetle or a squirrel kills me when i am wearing metal armor? Fix it!
#11 May 24 2011 at 12:21 PM Rating: Good
***
1,313 posts
(Giant) Bugs I get. They swarm and they have huge mandibles. Rams, ok but I think WoW has it better in the fact that you can kill rams if say you're leveling your skinning or something, but they're neutral and won't aggro you. There are ogres, humanoids, demons, giant wasps, yetis, tigers, wolves, elementals, etc. for the aggro mobs.

The squirrel thing has to stop though. They're tiny creatures that anyone could 1 shot. Who wants to anyway? They're little buds that hang out in the trees and make sh*tty noises at people. They're funny, I don't want to kill them for XP.

$o.o2

Edited, May 24th 2011 2:22pm by Transmigration
____________________________
Eithne Draocht
My IG: archaicmachinery - Friend me!
#12 May 24 2011 at 12:33 PM Rating: Excellent
****
6,898 posts
perhaps they are meant to be like the rabbit from Monty Python and the Holy Grail?
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#13 May 24 2011 at 12:38 PM Rating: Excellent
9 posts
Talking about logic, elementals? Summons? WTH.... I want to see someone go after a squirrel IRL with a knife and manage to kill it or even catch it. This is a game, no?

#14 May 24 2011 at 12:51 PM Rating: Excellent
The OP must never have played FFXI, where there's always a bunny waiting to kick your as*!
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#15 May 24 2011 at 12:52 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,566 posts
One fine morning I was strolling into work when a rustling sound caught my attention.
I quickly realized that this distressed sound was coming from the garbage can just outside the front door of my place of employment. A fancy receptacle complete with the sort of cover that protects it from rain while still allowing folks to dispose of their undesirables.
Concerned of what may be causing such a frantic sound, I slowly approached the can with a sort of respective caution. Far be it from me to be the first to haphazardly discover a new species of man-eating trash cans that lure into brave and noble with worrisome sounds.
I drew closer and closer, yet the sound persisted.
"What could this be," I pondered. "What creature natural or otherworldly would spend it's time lost in the bowels of a trash can whose pallet favors only the salty satisfaction of the flesh of men?"
In the moment my face was but mere inches from the brim, out sprung the culprit of the disturbance.
A squirrel leapt out and clung to the can, frozen like a thief caught in the light.
The tiny bit of soft pretzel that hung from his mouth was his prize for surviving the darkness within the can.
He only stayed but a moment, but in the moment I locked eyes with this creature and in those dark pools of knowledge I was judged with a wisdom older than time itself.
With those eyes, he peered into my soul --nay, my very being, and spoke to me without words.
"You are not worthy," he said onto me. "Perhaps we will meet again, young one."
He then scampered off, his prize still clenched in his jaws.
In that moment of judgement, I felt saved. The squirrel had chosen me to live. Trust me my friend, squirelles are not to be trifled with.

(On a serious note, I just don't get this immersion business. Maybe it's hat I've been playing games since the Atari days. Has a game ever made anyone feel they were "really there?" Most people I know absentmindedly play MMOs while watching tv or listening to music or something distracting. These aren't Earth squirrels. Earth Squirrels Are Easy. These are Hydealyn squirrels, and they can kick your ***. I see your immersion, and raise you a suspension of disbelief.)

Edited, May 24th 2011 3:00pm by Sephrick
#16 May 24 2011 at 12:53 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,146 posts
DanSerrot wrote:
Not every enemy has to be a mass epical monstrous beast of ferocious evil, save those for bosses and really major enemy types. If every random on field encounter is a Behemoth and Fafnir what are we going to have for a boss fight to impress us?


It would be nice to wander outside sometimes and see more than bugs and livestock. It doesn't bring any sense of purpose to the game when you aren't reminded, at least occasionally of why you are there. Not every mob has to be King Behemoth or Fafnir, but I do remember the first mob I saw when I left the gates of Northern San d'Oria was an orc. At least I had a sense that the beastmen threat was close and turned out to be much closer than I would have expected.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#17 May 24 2011 at 12:55 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
161 posts
You fight birds, fish and sometimes plants in WoW. Why aren't you there complaining? I can only assume the OP here is a horrible troll. Come back when you finally stab that pesky mockingbird in your front lawn, you know, the one that wakes you up every morning on the wrong side of the bed?

Quote:
I see your immersion, and raise you a suspension of disbelief.

I love this.

Edited, May 24th 2011 2:57pm by Mictam
____________________________




#18 May 24 2011 at 1:10 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
569 posts
Sephrick wrote:
One fine morning I was strolling into work when a rustling sound caught my attention.
I quickly realized that this distressed sound was coming from the garbage can just outside the front door of my place of employment. A fancy receptacle complete with the sort of cover that protects it from rain while still allowing folks to dispose of their undesirables.
Concerned of what may be causing such a frantic sound, I slowly approached the can with a sort of respective caution. Far be it from me to be the first to haphazardly discover a new species of man-eating trash cans that lure into brave and noble with worrisome sounds.
I drew closer and closer, yet the sound persisted.
"What could this be," I pondered. "What creature natural or otherworldly would spend it's time lost in the bowels of a trash can whose pallet favors only the salty satisfaction of the flesh of men?"
In the moment my face was but mere inches from the brim, out sprung the culprit of the disturbance.
A squirrel leapt out and clung to the can, frozen like a thief caught in the light.
The tiny bit of soft pretzel that hung from his mouth was his prize for surviving the darkness within the can.
He only stayed but a moment, but in the moment I locked eyes with this creature and in those dark pools of knowledge I was judged with a wisdom older than time itself.
With those eyes, he peered into my soul --nay, my very being, and spoke to me without words.
"You are not worthy," he said onto me. "Perhaps we will meet again, young one."
He then scampered off, his prize still clenched in his jaws.
In that moment of judgement, I felt saved. The squirrel had chosen me to live. Trust me my friend, squirelles are not to be trifled with.

(On a serious note, I just don't get this immersion business. Maybe it's hat I've been playing games since the Atari days. Has a game ever made anyone feel they were "really there?" Most people I know absentmindedly play MMOs while watching tv or listening to music or something distracting. These aren't Earth squirrels. Earth Squirrels Are Easy. These are Hydealyn squirrels, and they can kick your ***. I see your immersion, and raise you a suspension of disbelief.)

Edited, May 24th 2011 3:00pm by Sephrick


best thing i have read through
____________________________
99th paper cut, and the grain of salt.
#19Barret1, Posted: May 24 2011 at 1:28 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) I don't complain there because I don't play WoW.... > . >
#20 May 24 2011 at 1:45 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,566 posts
Barret1 wrote:
Mictam wrote:
You fight birds, fish and sometimes plants in WoW. Why aren't you there complaining? I can only assume the OP here is a horrible troll. Come back when you finally stab that pesky mockingbird in your front lawn, you know, the one that wakes you up every morning on the wrong side of the bed?

Quote:
I see your immersion, and raise you a suspension of disbelief.

I love this.

Edited, May 24th 2011 2:57pm by Mictam



I don't complain there because I don't play WoW.... > . >

Yah you're right, I'm on the wrong side of the bed because I should feel satisfied killing small mammals and insects all the way to lvl 50, where I am now prepared to kill dragons. Are you @#%^ing kidding me? I'm not even getting into the fact that there's no reason to kill these creatures, thats another story. No, my focus is on how are these types considered a danger, and furthermore that they can kill players is absurd. The, "its a magical world" is fine but there has to be some basis for reality. As the other people pointed out, FF11 had similar problems but not to this degree.


It's a personal matter. If you want to fight dragons, go to Coerthas and fight dragons.

Wild animals, no matter their size, are a danger. I'd hate to ever meet a honey badger in person. Is it a stretch that a 50 pound *** kicking squirrel exists? Sure, but if squirrels aren't allowed to be formidable then we're not allowed to conjur ice in a desert, or mend our wounds by thinking really hard about it, or transport ourselves instantly through a dimension called the aether.

Reality is the worst base for arguments in video games. I spend enough time in reality. I come to XIV for a little fantasy.
#21 May 24 2011 at 2:28 PM Rating: Default
8 posts
Sephrick wrote:
Barret1 wrote:
Mictam wrote:
You fight birds, fish and sometimes plants in WoW. Why aren't you there complaining? I can only assume the OP here is a horrible troll. Come back when you finally stab that pesky mockingbird in your front lawn, you know, the one that wakes you up every morning on the wrong side of the bed?

Quote:
I see your immersion, and raise you a suspension of disbelief.

I love this.

Edited, May 24th 2011 2:57pm by Mictam



I don't complain there because I don't play WoW.... > . >

Yah you're right, I'm on the wrong side of the bed because I should feel satisfied killing small mammals and insects all the way to lvl 50, where I am now prepared to kill dragons. Are you @#%^ing kidding me? I'm not even getting into the fact that there's no reason to kill these creatures, thats another story. No, my focus is on how are these types considered a danger, and furthermore that they can kill players is absurd. The, "its a magical world" is fine but there has to be some basis for reality. As the other people pointed out, FF11 had similar problems but not to this degree.


It's a personal matter. If you want to fight dragons, go to Coerthas and fight dragons.

Wild animals, no matter their size, are a danger. I'd hate to ever meet a honey badger in person. Is it a stretch that a 50 pound *** kicking squirrel exists? Sure, but if squirrels aren't allowed to be formidable then we're not allowed to conjur ice in a desert, or mend our wounds by thinking really hard about it, or transport ourselves instantly through a dimension called the aether.

Reality is the worst base for arguments in video games. I spend enough time in reality. I come to XIV for a little fantasy.



They don't have to be mutually inclusive. Why is there gravity, life, death, food, etc..... Because to some degree there has to be some sense and reality in the game you play so you can relate. Wild animals are not a danger if you can burn them alive or cut them in half. The squirrels look as if they weigh 5 pounds, but these are semantics and it doesn't matter. I don't want to start out fighting dragons, I should and would die. I just expect that if i can draw lightning from the air at level 1, then my day will not consist of hunting said beetles and squirrels. Instead it does. I am just asking for aboue 20% believability.

If this was real there wouldn't be magic of course!!!! I don't want real, but it would be no more of a stretch if you could punch the ground and kill everything in the world, seriously it would be same only the opposite side of the spectrum. For now, my metal sharp sword jabbing into a defenseless animal doesn't even hurt it very much. How the **** is there food in this world if the bottomfeeding animals can easily kill the hunters? It makes no sense even in a fantasy standpoint.

Yah I get it, the only people left playing are fanboys and any attempt to point out the absurdities in the game in a constructive way will be flamed. Holy crap the game is in such a ****** state you people should be more receptive to your peers if you want any kind of a player base left. I'm here because the announcement of the upcoming changes sound great and I love final fantasy games. I just think the monster list should adapt with the times.
#22 May 24 2011 at 2:39 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
*
106 posts
Judge me by my size, do you?
____________________________
FFXIV: Nimoy Riese / Hyperion
FFXI: Nimoy / Pandemonium
#23 May 24 2011 at 2:50 PM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
Quote:
The, "its a magical world" is fine but there has to be some basis for reality. As the other people pointed out, FF11 had similar problems but not to this degree.


Really? So there's some reality to people riding around on giant horse-birds? Or fighting enormous malboros? Or how about playing as a female cat-person? That's your defense of your argument?

Oh, and btw... in FFXI, you can fight rabbits and mandragoras at pretty much any level... but clearly that's more "real" to you. Your logic just confuses the heck out of me.
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#24 May 24 2011 at 2:57 PM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
Quote:
Yah I get it, the only people left playing are fanboys and any attempt to point out the absurdities in the game in a constructive way will be flamed. Holy crap the game is in such a sh*tty state you people should be more receptive to your peers if you want any kind of a player base left.


And PS, making ridiculous assumptions like this is an INSTANT way to get rate-downs... I'm sure you don't care, but it certainly isn't strengthening your argument at all.
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#25 May 24 2011 at 2:58 PM Rating: Decent
8 posts
BartelX wrote:
Quote:
The, "its a magical world" is fine but there has to be some basis for reality. As the other people pointed out, FF11 had similar problems but not to this degree.


Really? So there's some reality to people riding around on giant horse-birds? Or fighting enormous malboros? Or how about playing as a female cat-person?


yes, i can buy that. I don't mean based off actual earth, just the physics and properties that govern a somewhat normal world even if its fantasy. So you are ok with a character that can stretch their arms like the guy from fantastic four? You would be ok if that was a class? A guy, stretching his arms 100 feet to punch something just because its fantasy? I wouldn't, but I'm guessing since its not near reality you would like it.
#26 May 24 2011 at 2:58 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,146 posts
BartelX wrote:
Quote:
The, "its a magical world" is fine but there has to be some basis for reality. As the other people pointed out, FF11 had similar problems but not to this degree.


Really? So there's some reality to people riding around on giant horse-birds? Or fighting enormous malboros? Or how about playing as a female cat-person? That's your defense of your argument?

Everyone refuses to touch the actual basis of the argument because you can't really dispute it. There is a huge lack of mobs to fight that really seem like they pose a threat to Eorzea and it's inhabitants. The reality is that you would normally have some sort of motive to leave the gates of your city in defense of it if you weren't fighting things that just roam around and keep to themselves.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#27 May 24 2011 at 3:02 PM Rating: Excellent
****
6,898 posts
Barret1 wrote:
BartelX wrote:
Quote:
The, "its a magical world" is fine but there has to be some basis for reality. As the other people pointed out, FF11 had similar problems but not to this degree.


Really? So there's some reality to people riding around on giant horse-birds? Or fighting enormous malboros? Or how about playing as a female cat-person?


yes, i can buy that. I don't mean based off actual earth, just the physics and properties that govern a somewhat normal world even if its fantasy. So you are ok with a character that can stretch their arms like the guy from fantastic four? You would be ok if that was a class? A guy, stretching his arms 100 feet to punch something just because its fantasy? I wouldn't, but I'm guessing since its not near reality you would like it.



If it actually fit within the context of the game I'd have no problem with it. You're getting caught up on some ridiculous semantics. It's a fantasy game, and these are fantasy creatures. If you learned ANYTHING from FFXI, it should have been that regardless of a mobs size or relative cuteness, it can and WILL rip you to shreds if you decide to poke it at the inappropriate level. If you don't understand that, perhaps you are playing the wrong series of games?
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#28 May 24 2011 at 3:38 PM Rating: Decent
**
421 posts
Just a few disconnected thoughts about the topic:

I've always thought it was kind of weird that there was ALWAYS a rabbit that could kick your *** no matter what level you were in 11. That said...

As to 'having' to kill 'innocent' wild life.. Who's making you? If you read the info at the top of the Leves there's usually a reason for why these creatures need to be taken care of. The spriggins are stealing from peoples houses. The (insert herbivore here) are eating the crops. etc. The regular townsfolk are pansy level 0s and can't fight for themselves so it's up to us to do the fighting for them.

I can't think of many animals that aggro that wouldn't aggro IRL. Maybe the Buzzards, but science is showing that certain types of birds can remember people's faces and even communicate to other birds about those people...

How do you get better at something? You practice. If you're just starting boxing do you immediately go and try to fight Mike Tyson? No, you start out small and work your way up to harder stuff. For us that means rodents to start with and bigger beasts later. We're not starting out as badass fighters, our armour/weapons just makes us seem like it.

Beastmen: If there WERE beastmen to fight just outside the cities they should be of the highest level. The weaker, easier ones should be in the beastman stronghold as they're not tough enough to venture outside the city yet.

On a small squirrel killing someone in full plate armor. Well, you got me. But then... an archer killing a swarm of flies with arrows? A pugilist punching a crab 3 times their size to death? A Lancer being able to stab that little squirrel with the pointy part of the spear? Like others have already said.. this is a fantasy game. If you want a realistic game there's always the Sims.
____________________________
Ashlar Calidan, Paladin of Unicorn
Ashlar Korith, Gladiator of Trabia
"If by my death your life might be spared, then so be it."
#29 May 24 2011 at 3:58 PM Rating: Excellent
**
305 posts
Barret1 wrote:
But things like sheep are just silly.


Battle sheep disagrees.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu57AM5Yans
____________________________


#30 May 24 2011 at 4:35 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,098 posts
I lost any hope of "immersion" on my 1st rank 10 leves i really read. In Gridania some sentient mushrooms barely attacked some humans picking mushrooms for food.I was going to be a tree hugger and leave some alive as a warning to other shrooms I couldn't.This is a game ,we are all assassins looking for our next SP fix at least that's what I think every time I go to the leves counter.Crafting always cleans some of the animated blood off my hands.Smiley: frown
____________________________





#31 May 24 2011 at 5:26 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,530 posts
Overffxi wrote:
your first mmorpg video game i guess :P

u will get used to it :)


Fixed.
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#32 May 24 2011 at 5:52 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,313 posts
Mictam wrote:
You fight birds, fish and sometimes plants in WoW. Why aren't you there complaining?

Edited, May 24th 2011 2:57pm by Mictam


There are vultures that attack you, but you don't go around leveling up on finches and sparrows. The birds that you do fight are usually ancient spirit beasts that have a wing span of 15 feet. There's really no comparison here. Wildlife as small as squirrels or as harmless as a fawn shouldn't be grinded on for xp. It doesn't make any sense and for me at least, it's definitely not fun. I played FFXI for 7 years so I get the whole rabbit that can kick your *** joke, but I really thought that this time around we wouldn't be leveling on tiny mammals.

With the beastmen coming out relatively soon though, I can look past it. It's just not a good way to hook new players to your game. They go to show their buddies and they say "What the ****? You fight squirrels? Why would I want to play this ****?". True story, it's happened to me.
____________________________
Eithne Draocht
My IG: archaicmachinery - Friend me!
#33 May 24 2011 at 6:04 PM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
Transmigration wrote:
Mictam wrote:
You fight birds, fish and sometimes plants in WoW. Why aren't you there complaining?

Edited, May 24th 2011 2:57pm by Mictam


There are vultures that attack you, but you don't go around leveling up on finches and sparrows. The birds that you do fight are usually ancient spirit beasts that have a wing span of 15 feet. There's really no comparison here. Wildlife as small as squirrels or as harmless as a fawn shouldn't be grinded on for xp. It doesn't make any sense and for me at least, it's definitely not fun. I played FFXI for 7 years so I get the whole rabbit that can kick your *** joke, but I really thought that this time around we wouldn't be leveling on tiny mammals.

With the beastmen coming out relatively soon though, I can look past it. It's just not a good way to hook new players to your game. They go to show their buddies and they say "What the @#%^? You fight squirrels? Why would I want to play this sh*t?". True story, it's happened to me.


You make it sound like squirrels and small mammals are literally the only thing to fight in the game, which is absolutely NOT the case. While I agree that these mobs aren't the most fierce things to be fighting, that is clearly not the point of them. They are mostly introductory mobs, and if you've ever been out to Coerthas or Mor Dhona(sp) you'd realize that the VAST majority of the higher leveled mobs ARE extremely unique and formidable, not just your average little marmot.
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#34 May 24 2011 at 6:12 PM Rating: Good
*
131 posts
Thats also why they made the majority of the normal enemies larger, since they are monster class animals/bugs.
____________________________
#35 May 24 2011 at 6:27 PM Rating: Good
***
1,004 posts
to the OP, i do agree with you on one point, which is they should have made the monsters prgressively more dangerous looking the higher level you go. there is no reason why every 10 levels the same exact monster models have to be copied.

i dont agree with you hwoever, about the point you made about the bee stining my armor and that it should do almost nothing. this is a game, not real life, which is why i choose to play it.

they did do good on a few mobs though, as moles are the regular version of a mole, and hedgemoles have spikes on their backs, which makes them look more dangerous.
#36 May 24 2011 at 6:51 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
161 posts
Transmigration wrote:
Mictam wrote:
You fight birds, fish and sometimes plants in WoW. Why aren't you there complaining?

Edited, May 24th 2011 2:57pm by Mictam


There are vultures that attack you, but you don't go around leveling up on finches and sparrows. The birds that you do fight are usually ancient spirit beasts that have a wing span of 15 feet. There's really no comparison here.


So what you are saying is that we need big spirit squirrels with 15 foot big poofy tails?
____________________________




#37 May 24 2011 at 8:20 PM Rating: Good
**
451 posts
Pretty much this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCI18qAoKq4
____________________________
Yash Nahain - Keeper of the Moon Miqo'te, DoM / Goldsmith
Ghostface Spidercarpet - Highland Hyur, Gladiator / Armorer
Don't know which one to keep yet.....
#38 May 24 2011 at 9:12 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,530 posts
Transmigration wrote:
There are vultures that attack you [in WoW], but you don't go around leveling up on finches and sparrows. The birds that you do fight are usually ancient spirit beasts that have a wing span of 15 feet. There's really no comparison here.


What about moths, turtles, foxes, monkeys... oh, and beetles? :P

Also, I remember playing Ragnarok Online almost a decade ago now (wow, it's been that long?) and loving the feeling of clubbing a bright, buzzing, little ladybug that hammered me back with a one-shot kill by its cute, purple proboscis. Novelty and unpredictability is fun; you don't play games to be treated to a superficial experience, where everything you see is instantly known to you without experimentation, do you?

Maybe you do; but it's also fun to be surprised, to learn new rules for a new world: that's what virtual worlds are all about, after all. If they weren't, there wouldn't be much point to exploring them, let alone residing within them for hours upon hours.


Edited, May 24th 2011 11:12pm by KaneKitty
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#39 May 24 2011 at 9:24 PM Rating: Excellent
****
6,898 posts
KaneKitty wrote:
Also, I remember playing Ragnarok Online almost a decade ago now (wow, it's been that long?) and loving the feeling of clubbing a bright, buzzing, little ladybug that hammered me back with a one-shot kill by its cute, purple proboscis. Novelty and unpredictability is fun; you don't play games to be treated to a superficial experience, where everything you see is instantly known to you without experimentation, do you?


I absolutely agree with this. I still remember the first time I was playing ffxi and got absolutely DESTROYED by a rabbit. You know what my reaction was? "Holy crap, that crazy *** friggin rabbit just beat the **** out of me!!" I certainly didn't think "Gee, that rabbit shouldn't have done that because clearly it is a rabbit from real life which I should pet and tickle and play games with!". Reality has it's place in games. They are called first/third person shooters. If anyone expects that kind of realism in an RPG, I sincerely think you should reconsider your genre of choice.
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#40 May 24 2011 at 9:28 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,949 posts
Ah, iRO. I spent countless hours grinding on Pecopecos, and later Sohees. I don't know why, I had a thing for those two mob families.
____________________________
FFXIV: Cloe Delisle Scholar, officer of the SWAGGER Free company, Sargatanas server.
#41 May 24 2011 at 9:30 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
1,948 posts
Sephrick wrote:
It's a personal matter. If you want to fight dragons, go to Coerthas and fight dragons.


Funny by the fact that, just outside of Ul'dah East gate (Nald Thald whatever) a crystal is a camp of Sundrake, which people tend to avoid rather than fighting, and claim that game has no Dragon to kill.

Beastmen, they are everywhere. The only thing I can complain about Beastmen, is that Goblin seems rather peaceful being non-aggro. All other Beastmen aggro.

On the squirrel thingies, someone just don't read Manga/Anime etc. where you can find all sort of tiny cute things mass murdering human for fun... Besides, what kind of peaceful tiny wildlife creatures that can survive in a world where Dragons rampage and not end up being in said Dragon's belly? Answer: Dragons end up in THEIR belly.

Keysofgaruda wrote:
they did do good on a few mobs though, as moles are the regular version of a mole, and hedgemoles have spikes on their backs, which makes them look more dangerous.


Not really, all mobs has different looks based on tier. Marmot is the one of the few thing that doesn't vary in tier, because they actually come in only one tier. There are no Marmots higher than r15, and Squirrels also don't exist higher than r30s. Things that do exist every tiers do look different, for example Wolf -> Mongrel -> Hellhound, or even Coblyn -> Doblyn that has more protruding crystals on their body etc.

Edited, May 24th 2011 11:37pm by Khornette
____________________________




#42 May 24 2011 at 11:08 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
161 posts
Quote:
Not really, all mobs has different looks based on tier. Marmot is the one of the few thing that doesn't vary in tier, because they actually come in only one tier. There are no Marmots higher than r15, and Squirrels also don't exist higher than r30s. Things that do exist every tiers do look different, for example Wolf -> Mongrel -> Hellhound, or even Coblyn -> Doblyn that has more protruding crystals on their body etc.


Even Marmots vary by level. Granted, they only get larger in size. A big squirrel looks more powerful than a small one if you ask me.

Edited, May 25th 2011 4:03am by Mictam
____________________________




#43 May 24 2011 at 11:18 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,948 posts
Well I don't consider each single rank as tier because the same monster can be of different rank (e.g Grass Raptor), I would consider the naming scheme as tier instead. Example Coblyn -> Doblyn or Wolf -> Mongrel -> Hellhound or Mole -> Tuco Tuco or Crab -> Red Clipper, they actually have different visual to the name change and the rank difference is much higher.
____________________________




#44 May 26 2011 at 8:09 AM Rating: Excellent
Sage
*
116 posts
Quote:
A guy, stretching his arms 100 feet to punch something


Yoga Flame!
#45 May 26 2011 at 3:25 PM Rating: Decent
**
952 posts
Squirrels will kick your *** if you take them lightly OP.
#46 May 28 2011 at 12:38 PM Rating: Decent
Thank you for sharing your great story! (^_^)b
#47 May 28 2011 at 9:18 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
464 posts
Sephrick wrote:
One fine morning I was strolling into work when a rustling sound caught my attention.
I quickly realized that this distressed sound was coming from the garbage can just outside the front door of my place of employment. A fancy receptacle complete with the sort of cover that protects it from rain while still allowing folks to dispose of their undesirables.

Concerned of what may be causing such a frantic sound, I slowly approached the can with a sort of respective caution. Far be it from me to be the first to haphazardly discover a new species of man-eating trash cans that lure into brave and noble with worrisome sounds.

I drew closer and closer, yet the sound persisted.

"What could this be," I pondered. "What creature natural or otherworldly would spend it's time lost in the bowels of a trash can whose pallet favors only the salty satisfaction of the flesh of men?"

In the moment my face was but mere inches from the brim, out sprung the culprit of the disturbance. A squirrel leapt out and clung to the can, frozen like a thief caught in the light. The tiny bit of soft pretzel that hung from his mouth was his prize for surviving the darkness within the can. He only stayed but a moment, but in the moment I locked eyes with this creature and in those dark pools of knowledge I was judged with a wisdom older than time itself.

With those eyes, he peered into my soul --nay, my very being, and spoke to me without words.

"You are not worthy," he said onto me. "Perhaps we will meet again, young one." He then scampered off, his prize still clenched in his jaws. In that moment of judgement, I felt saved. The squirrel had chosen me to live.

Trust me my friend, squirelles are not to be trifled with.

(On a serious note, I just don't get this immersion business. Maybe it's hat I've been playing games since the Atari days. Has a game ever made anyone feel they were "really there?" Most people I know absentmindedly play MMOs while watching tv or listening to music or something distracting. These aren't Earth squirrels. Earth Squirrels Are Easy. These are Hydealyn squirrels, and they can kick your ***. I see your immersion, and raise you a suspension of disbelief.)
I almost peed.
____________________________
Bleam FFXI (Retired) 75MNK/SAM/NIN/SMN/THF  
Bleam WoW (Retired) 80 Druid 
Golf WoW (Retired) 80 Death Knight 
Tewksberry WoW (Retired) 80 Hunter 
Rahana WoW (Retired) 80 Priest


TwiddleDee wrote:
Purchase and instal a bigger hard drive, at the moment my PS3 has 500GB memory which is plenty.
#48 May 29 2011 at 5:33 AM Rating: Good
**
923 posts
Quote:
I almost peed.


I second the near urination
#49 May 29 2011 at 10:24 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
27 posts
Okay. A lot of input on this so here's my $.02.

There's a certain "boast value" of any game you play. If you play a fighting game, you can boast pulling off infinite combos and beating the computer on very hard. If you play a puzzle game you can boast about creative solutions and how fast you figured it out.

Yes, you can have squirrels, otherwise harmless plants and insects in a mmorpg. They are good for low levels to pick up skills and for crafters. But you can't boast about beating a squirrel. And in 9 out of 10 games you should be deeply upset and or shamed by losing to a squirrel. Think I'm joking?

Imagine with me

1. If you were playing Metal Gear and you were killed by a squirrel.
2. If you were playing Mortal Kombat and you were killed by a squirrel.
3. If you were playing WoW and killed by a squirrel.
4. If you were playing Gears of War 2 and killed by a squirrel.
5. If you were playing Final Fantasy 4 or 6 and killed by a squirrel (not a group of 6. 1 squirrel.)
6. If you were playing Assassin's Creed and killed by a squirrel.
7. If you were playing Dragon Age 2 and killed by a squirrel.
8. If you were playing Batman: Arkham Asylum and killed by a squirrel.
9. If you were playing Oblivion and killed by a squirrel.
10. If you were playing Heavy Rain and killed by a squirrel.

And on the opposite end of that spectrum if you were playing any of the above games and you did kill a squirrel, would you mention it as anything other than a wtf moment? Would you put that squirrel in the same league as sephiroth, a 10 man raid, or the Shao Khan as far as challenges? Would you even put it in the same sentence as the generic mooks from other games? This little exchange sums up the whole problem.

"Man I was playing Rift last night. I'm level 25 and there was this massive battle with elementals and the Guardian Sentinels. You're playing FFXIV right? You're like level 30 now. What's going on there?"

"Well, last night I kept dying because the I was supposed to collect 8 red squirrel tails and I'm not high enough level. I can only kill the blue ones..."

"...that sucks."

So I don't want things like squirrels to go away, the natural wild life of an area is supposed to have danger in the seemingly benign things. What I do want is for the plot to center around larger threats, because working for animal control is a decent job, but it is not the "badassery" that people come to play mmos for, especially one without a pvp aspect.
____________________________


#50 May 29 2011 at 8:33 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,948 posts
They are "badassery" indeed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wncS6tO59M

That is how rabbits are in Japan.
____________________________




This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 15 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (15)