Forum Settings
       
1 2 Next »
This Forum is Read Only

Botting concerns from an honest crafterFollow

#52 May 26 2011 at 7:21 AM Rating: Decent
**
967 posts
BartelX wrote:
clarkeyboy wrote:
Rinsui wrote:
Clarkey, that's not the point.
If botting is possible, and people are convinced many do it, then there's already a problem.
Whether a single individual is a botter or not is actually secondary.

And when 95% of circumstantial evidence cries "GUILTY!" with an estimated
likelyhood of a false accusal of 5%... then I'd say: burn the witch.
Rather anger one legitimate player than frustrate a hundred others who
cannot compete because they play fair.


Yeah I know what you mean. When someone who steals someones purse runs into a crowd, might as well just burn the lot to be safe, right?


That is some pretty awful reading comprehension skill you've got there.

edit: Just so we're clear, I certainly do not condone someone taking it upon themselves to question everyone who is crafting to make sure they are not a bot. I mean, it's not like we're the Spanish Inquisition... cuz NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION! (sorry, I just had to). But if you think someone is acting suspiciously (i.e, crafting 24/7 in the same spot at all hours of the day every time you log on for weeks), chances are your suspicions are justified and by all means they should be reported. SE can tell VERY easily if someone is truly botting, so all you need to do is give them leads to follow up on.

That doesn't mean reporting everyone you see crafting for an hour in the same spot. Whenever I used to do a crafting session, I'd often go 1-2 hours at a time, rarely looking at my screen and just spamming standard while I watched Avatar:The Last Airbender (the cartoon, not the crappy M. Night Shamalamadingdong movie) on Netflix.

Edited, May 26th 2011 8:57am by BartelX


I am not sure what point you just argued. I didn't say anything to contradict your points.
____________________________
My FFXIV Blog

#53 May 26 2011 at 7:43 AM Rating: Excellent
***
1,606 posts
Rinsui wrote:
Clarkey, that's not the point.
If botting is possible, and people are convinced many do it, then there's already a problem.
Whether a single individual is a botter or not is actually secondary.

And when 95% of circumstantial evidence cries "GUILTY!" with an estimated
likelyhood of a false accusal of 5%... then I'd say: burn the witch.
Rather anger one legitimate player than frustrate a hundred others who
cannot compete because they play fair.

I always wonder about the people who talk like that. If you get called out for perceived botting will you be OK with a perma-ban because they are following the "sacrifice the one for the good of the whole" rule? It's been my experience the people who are all gung ho about things like that are so because they believe it will never happen to them. If it does, they shout from the rafters how unfair it is.

Riniaru wrote:
Fear not, for SE have heard your cries for help and have come up with countermeasures!
Screenshot

LOL
I liked that except the example was far to clear. It needs to be one of those ones that has curved letters and letters on top of one another and uses capital O's and 0's.

Edited, May 26th 2011 11:59am by MrTalos
#54 May 26 2011 at 8:05 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
87 posts
KojiroSoma wrote:
But it's really tiresome to craft and get 20-30 tells per hour from diffirent people all going "hey, you've been crafting there for an hour now, are you botting?".


20-30 tells an hour?

KojiroSoma wrote:
Right now the game has degenerated into "If you're crafting somewhere, obviously you're botting"


Oh come on!

I really have a hard time taking people who exaggerate seriously. Be reasonable please. We're talking about people who just sit there at one spot for many hours a day, either crafting or doing nothing, in rank 1 gear. Worst case scenario for any normal (human) player on a very productive day is that after a couple of hours that he or she might be asked by one, two, matbe three people if he or she is a bot. Big deal. It takes almost zero energy to respond with a simple answer, a tiny price to pay in a game where people are willing to report bots so they can be removed.

We do like to have a game with as less bots as possible, right? Or is this just a silly assumption of mine?
#55 May 26 2011 at 8:10 AM Rating: Default
**
967 posts
MrMissile wrote:
KojiroSoma wrote:
But it's really tiresome to craft and get 20-30 tells per hour from diffirent people all going "hey, you've been crafting there for an hour now, are you botting?".


20-30 tells an hour?

KojiroSoma wrote:
Right now the game has degenerated into "If you're crafting somewhere, obviously you're botting"


Oh come on!

I really have a hard time taking people who exaggerate seriously. Be reasonable please. We're talking about people who just sit there at one spot for many hours a day, either crafting or doing nothing, in rank 1 gear. Worst case scenario for any normal (human) player on a very productive day is that after a couple of hours that he or she might be asked by one, two, matbe three people if he or she is a bot. Big deal. It takes almost zero energy to respond with a simple answer, a tiny price to pay in a game where people are willing to report bots so they can be removed.

We do like to have a game with as less bots as possible, right? Or is this just a silly assumption of mine?


You don't need to use exaggeration as a conflict point for your argument. You also don't need to be a white knight. We don't like botting, we don't want botting, but standing in the middle of them crying with your knickers round your ankles isn't going to help much.

Report to STF, leave it at that. Done.

/thread
____________________________
My FFXIV Blog

#56 May 26 2011 at 8:13 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
4,506 posts
MrTalos wrote:
Rinsui wrote:
Clarkey, that's not the point.
If botting is possible, and people are convinced many do it, then there's already a problem.
Whether a single individual is a botter or not is actually secondary.

And when 95% of circumstantial evidence cries "GUILTY!" with an estimated
likelyhood of a false accusal of 5%... then I'd say: burn the witch.
Rather anger one legitimate player than frustrate a hundred others who
cannot compete because they play fair.

I always wonder about the people who talk like that. If you get called out for perceived botting will you be OK with a perma-ban because they are following the "sacrifice the one for the good of the whole" rule? It's been my experience the people who are all gung ho about things like that are so because they believe it will never happen to them. If it does, they shout from the rafters how unfair it is.

Riniaru wrote:
Fear not, for SE have heard your cries for help and have come up with countermeasures!
Screenshot

I liked that except the example was far to clear. It needs to be one of those ones that has curved letters and letters on top of one another and uses capital O's and 0's.

Edited, May 26th 2011 9:48am by MrTalos

I like it too. There's just one small problem. The way SE codes things is terrible. I'm fairly certain that the people who do actually bot can find the place where the code is stored quite easily and circumvent the entire thing. Where as the people who do things legally are stuck having to input a code every single time.

We've seen it before in the past. Too many bots fishing? Lets turn it into a mini game! Following that, only bots could reliably reel in fish and all the actual people got screwed over majorly. Could we atleast try and learn from our mistakes?

If we make things too much of a bother, only bots will be able to do anything in this game. It would definately work if there was something that wasnt too much of a bother to a regular player. However, as we have seen in the past with SE, it's either All of Nothing. I dont think they have it in them to reliably put in such a system. There's no middle road when it comes to SE.

Quite frankly i dont really like picking between infantile meaningless solutions or jumping through hoops every 5 seconds. I already barely log in as it is. I'm sure i'm not the only one. SE is only a few wrong moves away from not wanting me to log in at all.
____________________________
[XI] Surivere of Valefor
[XIV] Sir Surian Bedivere of Behemoth
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/2401553/
#57 May 26 2011 at 8:29 AM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
*
111 posts
Alright, I'll follow up with some more questions, so, no, it's not "/thread" yet. It's a discussion afterall.

The real solution here we can really do is to report to SE. Given this is the only way we can help the situation, do you think SE is doing enough? Is there solid evidence that they are/are not?

I remember seeing some liberal use of the banhammer in Warhammer Online (aptly enough), and they really show off how they wanted to find and destroy RMT and bot operations. I haven't seen something similar form SE yet. This is why I have this concern about bots in the first place. If SE is actively removing these bots since XI, then I would have no reason to make this thread in the first place either.
#58 May 26 2011 at 8:48 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
****
4,506 posts
Enfid wrote:
Alright, I'll follow up with some more questions, so, no, it's not "/thread" yet. It's a discussion afterall.

The real solution here we can really do is to report to SE. Given this is the only way we can help the situation, do you think SE is doing enough? Is there solid evidence that they are/are not?

I remember seeing some liberal use of the banhammer in Warhammer Online (aptly enough), and they really show off how they wanted to find and destroy RMT and bot operations. I haven't seen something similar form SE yet. This is why I have this concern about bots in the first place. If SE is actively removing these bots since XI, then I would have no reason to make this thread in the first place either.

Well, discussion wise, SE stepped up like this on FFXI. Monthly banning notices explaining how many people they removed from the game and how much gil got removed by doing so. They havent put out any notices from those for a while. Either it was cutting into the amount of people playing the game too aggressively or they were simply just making up the numbers to please us.

Still, back to FFXIV. There's a couple problems. When i confronted a GM a while back he reluctantly gave in that the coding right now is horrible. They're not able to remove any of the players from the game if they are not online (same for us and linkshells), nor are logs properly stored for them to check information yet. The only thing they can do is literally catch someone in the act or write their names on a piece of paper and periodically check if they are online and are still doing the things we report them for. Both of those solutions are rather rediculous, really. They simply dont have the GMs nor the ability to do such a thing yet. It shouldnt be seen as a free-pass, definately not. But right now the game needs to be completely redesigned to implement a lot of the things people want in there to counter botting.

You mention that they havent put out any information towards this for FFXIV. Now i can personally count one person that got banned :) , but as far as them acting on most things, i believe it's best summed up as a toss-up between losing too many players by doing so, or simply not having the technical means (nor the GM staff) to act.
____________________________
[XI] Surivere of Valefor
[XIV] Sir Surian Bedivere of Behemoth
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/2401553/
#59 May 26 2011 at 9:04 AM Rating: Excellent
*
106 posts
Quote:
They havent put out any notices from those for a while. Either it was cutting into the amount of people playing the game too aggressively or they were simply just making up the numbers to please us.


They're still doing it, but it isn't posted on 1st page.
http://www.playonline.com/ff11eu/rule/specialtask.html

Edited, May 26th 2011 11:07am by GenzaiKawakami
#60 May 26 2011 at 9:16 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,100 posts
MistyMew wrote:
spamming standrd= botter? Oo lolol k ....personally i use standard 99% of the time, getting 1 craft to 50, i realize no matter what you choose chances of success are 50/50...even with using added earned abilites, very good gear , so yup i use standard alot as im sure many do. if ppl are basing someone on that...i find THAT disturbing and totally blind.

and when ppl craft if they make a different piece of gear every second synth then i feel sorry for them, that has to be the MOST inefficient way to craft in this game...or any for that matter, ppl WILL be making the same cloth/gear/whatever over and over ..im sure most are choosing the cheapest way to level, that WILL mean grind fest of the same item. its terribley boring, but efficient and necessary.

leaving a character logged in for extended time (day+)...well i dont do this, but it sure is nice again to have a game (unlike wow) that allows me to stop...go make supper...and still be logged in when i get back :o) i can see why some would not leave. if ppl choose to stay logged in, the game allows for it or we wouldnt be able to do so ..it means nothing.


I have to agree with these three points.

First, I primarily spam Standard when just grinding a craft, only occasionally on Leves (because I think it helps...sorta) and when deliberately attempting to boost quality on a synth I actually care about will I use any other means (ie. Bold/Wait/Etc).

Second, I craft the same thing, over and over. Right now it's Cotton Turbans as I eek my way through the 20's of Weaver. I'll make about 20 or so at a time, and then get up and sell them at the vendor and start over again.

Third, yea...I'm heavily guilty of doing this. Sometimes I leave my PC on in the morning, or I'll walk away mid-day. I've left my PC on in the morning after fishing by accident and come home to being dead and the PC running the game for 10 hours while I'm at work. My kids are constantly a distraction that I (often) get up for and go afk. I'm usually good, though...I usually put up /away when I'm not at the PC.

But yea, a lot of people do these types of things. I especially remember FFXI being that way, people just never logged off. I just left the game on 24/7 for FFXI cause it wasn't taxing on my PC or PS2. It's kind of a habit, because other games auto-logout after a fixed time...but not SE games. o.O;


____________________________
Common sense is not so common -Voltaire
Wyne Aeros - Hyperion Server
ARRFishing.com

#61 May 26 2011 at 10:04 AM Rating: Good
***
1,606 posts
KojiroSoma wrote:
I like it too. There's just one small problem. The way SE codes things is terrible. I'm fairly certain that the people who do actually bot can find the place where the code is stored quite easily and circumvent the entire thing. Where as the people who do things legally are stuck having to input a code every single time.

We've seen it before in the past. Too many bots fishing? Lets turn it into a mini game! Following that, only bots could reliably reel in fish and all the actual people got screwed over majorly. Could we atleast try and learn from our mistakes?

If we make things too much of a bother, only bots will be able to do anything in this game. It would definately work if there was something that wasnt too much of a bother to a regular player. However, as we have seen in the past with SE, it's either All of Nothing. I dont think they have it in them to reliably put in such a system. There's no middle road when it comes to SE.

Quite frankly i dont really like picking between infantile meaningless solutions or jumping through hoops every 5 seconds. I already barely log in as it is. I'm sure i'm not the only one. SE is only a few wrong moves away from not wanting me to log in at all.

Sorry. I meant I liked it like it was funny. That's why I was suggesting they would make it even harder for a legit player to try and craft in a effort to thwart bots. Create super complex captcha's that someone has to study for 60+ seconds to try and determine what the letters are supposed to be. Then only the botters would be left.

Enfid wrote:
I remember seeing some liberal use of the banhammer in Warhammer Online (aptly enough), and they really show off how they wanted to find and destroy RMT and bot operations.

Thought I remember them doing some thing where the GMs or whoever would shout out that they were burning so and so at the stake though I guess that could be another game.

Edited, May 26th 2011 12:06pm by MrTalos
#62 May 26 2011 at 10:10 AM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
clarkeyboy wrote:
MrMissile wrote:
KojiroSoma wrote:
But it's really tiresome to craft and get 20-30 tells per hour from diffirent people all going "hey, you've been crafting there for an hour now, are you botting?".


20-30 tells an hour?

KojiroSoma wrote:
Right now the game has degenerated into "If you're crafting somewhere, obviously you're botting"


Oh come on!

I really have a hard time taking people who exaggerate seriously. Be reasonable please. We're talking about people who just sit there at one spot for many hours a day, either crafting or doing nothing, in rank 1 gear. Worst case scenario for any normal (human) player on a very productive day is that after a couple of hours that he or she might be asked by one, two, matbe three people if he or she is a bot. Big deal. It takes almost zero energy to respond with a simple answer, a tiny price to pay in a game where people are willing to report bots so they can be removed.

We do like to have a game with as less bots as possible, right? Or is this just a silly assumption of mine?


You don't need to use exaggeration as a conflict point for your argument. You also don't need to be a white knight. We don't like botting, we don't want botting, but standing in the middle of them crying with your knickers round your ankles isn't going to help much.

Report to STF, leave it at that. Done.

/thread


You do realize that putting "/thread" at the end of your argument doesn't mean you've magically won the thread, right? In fact, it makes you look like a pompous jackass. As to my previous post, only the first line was directed at you for your lack of an ability to actually comprehend what was posted and make a logical reply. The rest was just my personal beliefs on the situation to those thinking that everyone who reports bots must be some jerk who just reports everyone they see crafting, which is absolutely not the case.
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#63 May 26 2011 at 10:36 AM Rating: Decent
**
967 posts
BartelX wrote:
clarkeyboy wrote:
MrMissile wrote:
KojiroSoma wrote:
But it's really tiresome to craft and get 20-30 tells per hour from diffirent people all going "hey, you've been crafting there for an hour now, are you botting?".


20-30 tells an hour?

KojiroSoma wrote:
Right now the game has degenerated into "If you're crafting somewhere, obviously you're botting"


Oh come on!

I really have a hard time taking people who exaggerate seriously. Be reasonable please. We're talking about people who just sit there at one spot for many hours a day, either crafting or doing nothing, in rank 1 gear. Worst case scenario for any normal (human) player on a very productive day is that after a couple of hours that he or she might be asked by one, two, matbe three people if he or she is a bot. Big deal. It takes almost zero energy to respond with a simple answer, a tiny price to pay in a game where people are willing to report bots so they can be removed.

We do like to have a game with as less bots as possible, right? Or is this just a silly assumption of mine?


You don't need to use exaggeration as a conflict point for your argument. You also don't need to be a white knight. We don't like botting, we don't want botting, but standing in the middle of them crying with your knickers round your ankles isn't going to help much.

Report to STF, leave it at that. Done.

/thread


You do realize that putting "/thread" at the end of your argument doesn't mean you've magically won the thread, right? In fact, it makes you look like a pompous jackass. As to my previous post, only the first line was directed at you for your lack of an ability to actually comprehend what was posted and make a logical reply. The rest was just my personal beliefs on the situation to those thinking that everyone who reports bots must be some jerk who just reports everyone they see crafting, which is absolutely not the case.


Oh trust me friend, there are definitely no winners in this forum, not even me.
____________________________
My FFXIV Blog

#64 May 26 2011 at 10:37 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
179 posts
At the moment, people bot crafting are having little to no effect on the game. No one is buying gil/shards and even if they were(which would be pretty sad/funny) it would have zero effect on the economy.

I think the reality is that SE has better things to worry about than people bot-crafting in a F2P game. They're trying to save this game with limited resources. In fact, if they started banning people, the negative press from a few incorrect bannings would really hurt the game.
____________________________
FFXIV: Tebhi Liontamer 37 Elezen Marauder Besaid
FFXI: Luk 75 Hume Beastmaster Gilgamesh / Tehbst 85 Taru Beastmaster Ifrit
#65 May 26 2011 at 11:11 AM Rating: Good
**
650 posts
Well I think until SE completes the new system it plans to do and starts asking for payment, they would not be really that much focusing on cheating/botting/hacking activities. I'd rather make them focus to finish the **** changes first.
____________________________
Mikayla Soulfire (XIV), Ul'dah, Istory
Lodestone Profile

Mikael (XI) Bastok, CaithSith
RDM/BST/BLU/NIN/BLM

Thus is our agreement written, thus is treaty made. Thought is the arrow of time; Memory never fades. What was asked is given; The price is paid.
#66 May 26 2011 at 11:51 AM Rating: Decent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
Riniaru wrote:
Fear not, for SE have heard your cries for help and have come up with countermeasures!
Screenshot
decaptcher.com
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#67 May 26 2011 at 2:40 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
*
240 posts
Lukky wrote:
At the moment, people bot crafting are having little to no effect on the game. No one is buying gil/shards and even if they were(which would be pretty sad/funny) it would have zero effect on the economy.

I think the reality is that SE has better things to worry about than people bot-crafting in a F2P game. They're trying to save this game with limited resources. In fact, if they started banning people, the negative press from a few incorrect bannings would really hurt the game.


I agree with you on the incorrect banning part. I think they should put the special event people on bot banning. I'd rather see true botters get banned then getting more egg helms (example) in my 299/300 inventory. I hope no one is buying gil, but I'm sure people are buying the shards like crazy, with gil.

Almalexia wrote:
blueazaka wrote:
It's very easy to tell if someone is botting, you just need to know what your looking for. There's a good post on this forum somewhere with youtube links that spell it out. Here's one of the videos (I did not make or find this video).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTlK_wyd8pc

Bots exist, this is true. But that video does not identify any bots. The video's claim is "if the crafter doesn't tell you off when you behave like a jackass, then the crafter is a bot." Maybe it's the American way to call out people on the internet when they are obnoxious, but not everyone is a super-cool American. Some people have the restraint to blacklist others and carry on.

That said, the crafter in the video is probably a bot. I base this accusation on the plain observation that the crafter is, indeed, crafting.


At 4:22 he makes the best point about how to spot a bot. He does it in a "non-jackass American" way too. If someone is spamming enter w/o paying attention the animation will for the next craft will start up right away each time. A bot will pause between when the current action is finished and when the next standard synth starts. If you use a watch and time the start of a standard synth until the start of the next standard synth it will be the same every time. There will also be a longer than normal pause between the end of the synth and the start of the next synth.

The few times I've reported bots I made sure they were bots first. Like field bots that stand on the mobs I'm killing. Non-responsive pc's that have my server name as their first name and slkdjf type names after. Lastly the bots that are at the fish npc's 24/7 making shards in timed synths who are non responsive to a "/t hello". I agree with other posters that non-responsive does not mean bot.

Off topic, what country are you from Almalexia? Maybe it's the _________ way to call out people on the internet when they are obnoxious, not watch a whole video or at least the parts that are pointed out, but not everyone is a super-cool ________. (This is a joke, I mean no insult to the other citizens of w/e country s/he's from.)

Since I called you out when you were being obnoxious, does that make me a Super Cool American too (even if I'm not an American)? :P
#68 May 26 2011 at 6:09 PM Rating: Decent
*
249 posts
Botting is taboo. last time i complained abt a botter and i had tonnes of proof screenshots vid ect i got so many rate downs i went from sage to scholar. so its in my mind at least. like while ppl do complain abt botters. they have more people defending botters then they do hating on botters. also its my opinion if you choose not to take a side "let SE work it out" that pretty much taking the botters side which as you can see the majority of people do that here on alla

hopefully more then 2 people get a chance to read this before its sub defaulted and i lose scholar too
____________________________

Osarion = Red Mage
Mikhalia = Black Mage Evilwizardington
FinalFanXIV = Fighter McWarrior
All we are missing is Thief, Clan Khee'Bler and we will have the full Light Warriors party.
#69 May 26 2011 at 7:05 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,606 posts
FinalFanXIV wrote:
also its my opinion if you choose not to take a side "let SE work it out" that pretty much taking the botters side which as you can see the majority of people do that here on alla

I think the idea is that all you can do is report them. There is little or nothing you (another player) can do to stop them. You can call them out if you want but that's not exactly going to stop them from crafting 24/7 if that's what they are doing.
#70 May 27 2011 at 6:48 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
87 posts
clarkeyboy wrote:
You don't need to use exaggeration as a conflict point for your argument. You also don't need to be a white knight. We don't like botting, we don't want botting, but standing in the middle of them crying with your knickers round your ankles isn't going to help much.

Report to STF, leave it at that. Done.

/thread


May I remind you that it was you who took a perfectly ok post and make it sound like we're going to resort to slander?

I suggest that next time you just keep your own advice in mind before you respond. So only respond when when there is 100% proof of slander. Responding to something with your knickers round your ankles isn't going to help much when nothing has happened yet, don't you agree?

Do not get me wrong though. I do think that you as an asset to this forum. It was lacking this certain drama you brought to the FFXI forum.
#71 May 27 2011 at 7:52 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
194 posts
This thread comes up once a month, and I just don't care to read it all again. I just felt compelled to comment on something...

Quote:
SE's inattentiveness to botting is the biggest detractor to this game.


This is the #1 problem with FFXIV right now? Really. You sure?
#72 May 27 2011 at 8:23 AM Rating: Default
**
967 posts
MrMissile wrote:
clarkeyboy wrote:
You don't need to use exaggeration as a conflict point for your argument. You also don't need to be a white knight. We don't like botting, we don't want botting, but standing in the middle of them crying with your knickers round your ankles isn't going to help much.

Report to STF, leave it at that. Done.

/thread


May I remind you that it was you who took a perfectly ok post and make it sound like we're going to resort to slander?

I suggest that next time you just keep your own advice in mind before you respond. So only respond when when there is 100% proof of slander. Responding to something with your knickers round your ankles isn't going to help much when nothing has happened yet, don't you agree?

Do not get me wrong though. I do think that you as an asset to this forum. It was lacking this certain drama you brought to the FFXI forum.



Pull your knickers up, wind your neck in, go outside. Also posting from a sock? Pro :)
____________________________
My FFXIV Blog

#73 May 27 2011 at 12:11 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
88 posts
Wrong thread, sorry.

Edited, May 27th 2011 2:13pm by Woofdram
#74 May 27 2011 at 7:33 PM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
*
111 posts
MrTalos wrote:
Thought I remember them doing some thing where the GMs or whoever would shout out that they were burning so and so at the stake though I guess that could be another game.

Edited, May 26th 2011 12:06pm by MrTalos


Oh yeah you just reminded me of that. That was quite strange, and a bit hilarious!

Anyway to continue on with the topic, we know that several people suspiciously run around with characters with 50 in almost all crafts. Some posters have said that they think SE will be unwilling or somehow unable to retro-ban botters who have reached 'the top' of the economy at this point. While I used to think that "once the numbers of people picked up or PS3 rolls around, they'll retro ban all these botters because they have everything on record!", I now feel much, much less confident in that.

With the link given by GenzaiKawakami, it shows that, yes, SE is actually banning suspicious accounts and freeze some money in FFXI. At least we know that their "Special Task Force" is working on it for FFXI. What about FFXIV? Is there anything like that at all, or does it go back about concerns about the number of people playing; that if people get banned and the number decrease, then it'll reflect badly on their performance and so is the main reason why they're not doing it yet.

Next time when I suspect someone using a bot, I'll try reporting it and see the system for myself. I'm curious to know if it's really long-winded and behind layers of bureaucracy like people have been saying.
#75 May 28 2011 at 3:49 PM Rating: Decent
When subscriptions start back up and PS3 launch happens you will see the ban hammer dropped on a lot of old accounts that thought they were safe. Bot if you want to, I don't really care as it doesn't bother me too much (even though I don't agree with it)...but I will laugh when your account gets banned.
____________________________
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
Data Center: Primal; Server: Ultros; Free Company: The Kraken Club; Grand Company: The Maelstrom; Chocobo: Kweh
#76 May 28 2011 at 6:54 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,530 posts
Grand Master Alchemist StateAlchemist2 wrote:
When subscriptions start back up and PS3 launch happens you will see the ban hammer dropped on a lot of old accounts that thought they were safe. Bot if you want to, I don't really care as it doesn't bother me too much (even though I don't agree with it)...but I will laugh when your account gets banned.


That's putting a lot of faith in SE... not only in believing that subscriptions are going to dramatically increase, and that there's going to be a rapture-like PS3 launch, but also that their anti-RMT measures, which are as of this time nonexistent, will suddenly transform into a powerful working system...

By now, various RMT sites have already stockpiled billions upon billions of gil - it's idiotically easy to come by, after all. All they would have to do is continue transferring it to less suspicious characters (ones that level a little bit and don't bot), and their trove is safe whether the bots are banned or not. Only foolhardy RMT would bot-farm on their banking characters...
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#77 May 29 2011 at 2:02 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
Quote:
When subscriptions start back up and PS3 launch happens you will see the ban hammer dropped on a lot of old accounts

Vaaaaaary positive thinking. That would mean they keep track of all suspicious activity and have the manpower to analyze it.

They don't even keep track of current developments on the MMO market and of what their playerbase wants.
#78 May 30 2011 at 10:00 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
240 posts
Today I noticed that the bots that hang around the fish npc at The Hyaline were gone. Then I found new bots hiding just west of camp bearded rock. They had similar names and were botting lightning shards like normal. Any possibility that SE banned some bots? Maybe the RMT are just being careful.
1 2 Next »
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 15 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (15)