Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
This Forum is Read Only

Early June everything will be clearer.Follow

#1 May 31 2011 at 12:13 PM Rating: Decent

What will the new jobs be?
When will 1.18 be released?
When will subscription begin?
When is the PS3 release?

Those seem to be the hot topics of the moment.... well those and the constant debate if SE is going to tank or if FFXIV is going to be dropped but I don't want to talk about those two right now.

I think that all these questions will be resolved early June..... "Azh you are one crazy demented SOB" I hear you say and yes I am crazy, but for the purposes of this post lets pretend I'm not.

E3 runs from June 7th - 9th
We've all heard of the upcoming new features, jobs, and other pieces of digital perfection that SE has planned for "The Summer"
We assume that SE will want to begin charging subscription and release PS3 version ASAP
There have been shady and unconfirmed reports of PS3 release dates and start of subscription fee's beginning in August that originated on Chinese websites and twitter feeds.

Around E3 time attention is focused on the gaming world and whether SE decides to have a FFXIV press conference during E3 early June would be the ideal time to announce when 1.18 will be, its contents, announce the PS3 release date and the start of subscription fees. I am not saying that any of these will go live early June but I strongly think they will give a solid time line and give more info then when the whole gaming world is attentive and eager to discuss, announce and review anything new, even if it is a semi relaunch of an MMO that didn't get the best reviews.

If any of you can see obvious holes in my post, reasons why SE won't resolve any of these hot topics in early June please add your two cents.

Azh
#2 May 31 2011 at 12:57 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
Yes I do see holes in your post...you forgot one major point...it's SE...they are notorious for their "wonderful" communication skills as many of us have seen in XI, they are also notorious for the "timely" release of their supposed flagship for MMO leadership (FFXIV), and as they have proven over the course of the life of this game they have done so much to make it "pay" worthy...Look I know this game has been out not even a year, I know the devs are working their tooshies off...they really are (I could never do the things they are doing),but I have a feeling that if they don't get their act together soon, I feel they may be just like one of those cartoons I used to see when a boat was sinking and a character was just scooping water out with a bucket to keep it a float.

I do enjoy this game (however I play it in small doses), but other than level grinding, crafting, and the main story line, there really isn't much keep this game a float and that is for casual/solo players and for those who like to party... I mean really...once I finish the story line...what else is there for me to do...what else can I do to progress my character :/

The side quests don't offer much in the way of side stories and such from what I've heard :/ I'll just keep my fingers crossed...that is my two cents :/
____________________________


"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
#3 May 31 2011 at 1:27 PM Rating: Good
***
3,177 posts
Please don't hold your breath. The update is coming mid-June and they'll probably assess player feedback. Announcing a PS3 release date right now means they'll probably have to stick to it. And if sticking to a PC release date is any indication, they'll rush things again and we'll have a crappy PS3 launch. Keep things on the down low, fix them up, then announce a giant welcome back campaign when the game is well and ready.

If they do anything at E3, they'll probably be booed off the stage.

Edited, May 31st 2011 12:28pm by UltKnightGrover
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#4 May 31 2011 at 1:42 PM Rating: Good
fair enough.

However whilst I fully acknowledge that Customer Relations is not SE's most prominent virtue, these things will still need to be announced and I get the feeling that everything is coming to a head. You have recent letter from the producer with tons of goodies planned and a very airy "Summer" deadline for release, a separate battle system post, and I keep hearing things on this site and others that PS3 and Subscription Fee release/go live dates are rumoured (unofficial rumours mind you). Knowing the way software companies work (I work for one... nothing as glamorous as game development though) E3 time would be a good candidate to tie up all loose ends and give the game a new lease on life.

I could very well be completely wrong, but I think SE is keen to sweep away past failures, promote the game as a new and improved, negate the crappy reviews, start charging us and release the PS3 version. I think they have been working with an internal August/September deadline to do it all.

Marketing is key, and whilst SE suck at CR, they are actually exceptional at P.R. and before you LOL at that statement think back to pre release of FFVII, VIII, IX, X, XI, XII, XIII and XIV the game reviews, previews, social media, demo discs on other SE releases. S.E. are masters of the anticipation game and whilst we may despair that their CR sucks that too is part of their strategy, if they told you everything about the games before they were released or super early you wouldn't have the same curiosity or be so amazed by what they give you.

SE needs to start the P.R./Marketing machine very soon in order to meet that deadline get the positive reviews, encourage a new strong player base, increase anticipation and successfully relaunch FFXIV.

Again not saying that anything solid will happen early June but I think they will put their cards on the table in and around E3 to build faith and excitement in the game again.
#5 May 31 2011 at 1:50 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
626 posts
Quote:
a separate battle system post

i just checked the lodestone threads and i didnt see any posts about the battle system... am i missing something?

oh edit, nvm, you mean there is going to be one, ok cool.

Edited, May 31st 2011 3:51pm by pixelpop
____________________________

#6 May 31 2011 at 2:10 PM Rating: Decent

Quote:
Please don't hold your breath. The update is coming mid-June and they'll probably assess player feedback.


I don't know about you but I don't think the player base as a whole will ever think this game is at a point where subscriptions can begin. 3 or 4 years into playing FFXI and the player base never thought SE had done enough, released enough content, given them what they thought the game really needed.

It's human nature to continually want more "this is of but it would be better if it had....." add in an extra incentive of not paying for the game until you are satisfied and I don't think player feedback will ever be "yep the game is good enough to charge me $14.99 a month in perpetuity.

SE could fix all the initial problems the game had at launch, add new features, quests, NM's, Storyline, Jobs, etc, etc and there would always be a huge number of folks that would comment "Games still broke, it doesn't have SMN as a job, and where are the airships and choccobo's with frikken laser beams attached to their heads?"

If SE was thinking clearly way back when all the crappy reviews came out they would of added a completel "to Do" list of all the things they intended to do to fix the game and once that list was completed it would automatically be considered ready for subscription and PS3 release.

Infact can anyone get a rough list of all the things that were broke with the game on launch to see what SE has left to complete?
#7 May 31 2011 at 2:19 PM Rating: Excellent
FlogginaDeadHorse wrote:
Infact can anyone get a rough list of all the things that were broke with the game on launch to see what SE has left to complete?


http://ffxiv.viion.co.uk/

Try this list. It is similar to what you are asking for.

#8 May 31 2011 at 2:19 PM Rating: Good
(Double post.) Half that list is just wishing, half is actually broken stuff and the last half is things that will come later.

Edited, Jun 1st 2011 12:23pm by SmashingtonWho
#9 May 31 2011 at 2:21 PM Rating: Good
Sweet Jesus thats a long list.
#10 May 31 2011 at 2:23 PM Rating: Excellent
**
266 posts
UltKnightGrover wrote:
Please don't hold your breath. The update is coming mid-June and they'll probably assess player feedback. Announcing a PS3 release date right now means they'll probably have to stick to it. And if sticking to a PC release date is any indication, they'll rush things again and we'll have a crappy PS3 launch. Keep things on the down low, fix them up, then announce a giant welcome back campaign when the game is well and ready.

If they do anything at E3, they'll probably be booed off the stage.

Edited, May 31st 2011 12:28pm by UltKnightGrover

This. They'll probably announce the PS3 release at TGS.
#11 May 31 2011 at 2:39 PM Rating: Default
when is TGS.... I could look it up but I am inherently lazy.
#12 May 31 2011 at 3:29 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
True they have good PR. However, as a company, they have lost sight in putting together a good product. It seems like since X, it's been one flop after another. They are more concerned with sales than they are about their product. As a company, they should be concerned with making money, but not so much as to blind themselves into making a good product and that is exactly what they are doing. If they keep going at this rate, they will lose the beautiful luster they once had many years ago and will tanish their companies name and the FF brand, they have already started to head down that path, however, they can still redeem themselves, but in order to do that, they really need to focus on quality instead of quantity.
____________________________


"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
#13 May 31 2011 at 4:13 PM Rating: Good
**
266 posts
FlogginaDeadHorse wrote:
when is TGS.... I could look it up but I am inherently lazy.

Umm... I think it's in August or September? I'm not sure but I think it's some time around the end of summer.
#14 May 31 2011 at 8:41 PM Rating: Decent
Quote:
True they have good PR. However, as a company, they have lost sight in putting together a good product. It seems like since X, it's been one flop after another. They are more concerned with sales than they are about their product. As a company, they should be concerned with making money, but not so much as to blind themselves into making a good product and that is exactly what they are doing. If they keep going at this rate, they will lose the beautiful luster they once had many years ago and will tanish their companies name and the FF brand, they have already started to head down that path, however, they can still redeem themselves, but in order to do that, they really need to focus on quality instead of quantity.


I totally Agree with the sentiment, but I think since X the player base put SE on a very high pedestal where they could only fall from grace in a spectacular fashion and every release would be a disappointment. Look at the FF games that we look back at so fondly some of them really were not that good and when some of the earlier FF's were released they didn't sell well. Ironically enough I think FFII had a similar class/job system to FFXIV and it bombed when it was first released.
#15 May 31 2011 at 8:48 PM Rating: Good
**
266 posts
FlogginaDeadHorse wrote:
Quote:
True they have good PR. However, as a company, they have lost sight in putting together a good product. It seems like since X, it's been one flop after another. They are more concerned with sales than they are about their product. As a company, they should be concerned with making money, but not so much as to blind themselves into making a good product and that is exactly what they are doing. If they keep going at this rate, they will lose the beautiful luster they once had many years ago and will tanish their companies name and the FF brand, they have already started to head down that path, however, they can still redeem themselves, but in order to do that, they really need to focus on quality instead of quantity.


I totally Agree with the sentiment, but I think since X the player base put SE on a very high pedestal where they could only fall from grace in a spectacular fashion and every release would be a disappointment. Look at the FF games that we look back at so fondly some of them really were not that good and when some of the earlier FF's were released they didn't sell well. Ironically enough I think FFII had a similar class/job system to FFXIV and it bombed when it was first released.

FFII basically leveled your skills up based on what stuff you used but you didn't have an overall level. I like FFII though, but FFI is the system you're thinking of where you start off as like anything then advance to a job at level 30. The system in FFXIV is just too many things in one and that's why it fails.
#16 May 31 2011 at 8:56 PM Rating: Decent
For their time, FF games were very good. FFII actually wasn't that great, but it was revolutionary for its time. The leveling system was clunky and didn't work well even at the time, and the story wasn't great, but for 1988, its still fairly amazing. I mean look at what music was at the time! :P
____________________________
Die! Die die die. die die die die, die die. - Scarlet Briar
#17 Jun 01 2011 at 10:34 AM Rating: Good
***
3,177 posts
Quote:


I totally Agree with the sentiment, but I think since X the player base put SE on a very high pedestal where they could only fall from grace in a spectacular fashion and every release would be a disappointment.



I don't see why people don't like FFXI and FFXII or consider it to be a disappointment. I mean I can understand the disappointment about XIII and XIV is a given. But what do people see wrong with XI and XII?

I have fond memories of FFXI and it brought back all of the nostalgia with older FF titles with a familiar job system and being one of the first well-known popular MMOs before World of Warcraft. (I never even heard of the genre myself until I played FFXI. Never knew Everquest, Ultima Online etc existed)

I thought XII had one of the best battle systems and soundtracks of recent times. (Even though the story was a little lacking, but nowhere enough to be a disappointment.)
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#18 Jun 01 2011 at 10:35 AM Rating: Good
***
3,530 posts
digitalcraft wrote:
The leveling system was clunky and didn't work well even at the time


But such systems of leveling would later be adapted in games like The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion (and, later this year, Skyrim) to much success.

One step at a time, after all; it's not easy to make a great plot when you only have about a fourth of a megabyte with which to do it!
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#19 Jun 01 2011 at 10:44 AM Rating: Decent
KaneKitty wrote:
digitalcraft wrote:
The leveling system was clunky and didn't work well even at the time


But such systems of leveling would later be adapted in games like The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion (and, later this year, Skyrim) to much success.

One step at a time, after all; it's not easy to make a great plot when you only have about a fourth of a megabyte with which to do it!



Oblivion by the way, I never finished once I realized the level synch system. It so very killed the game for me I simply didn't care and just quit it right then and there. Didn't even care I was in the middle of the story.

New TES game won't have it like that though so me=happy
____________________________
Die! Die die die. die die die die, die die. - Scarlet Briar
#20 Jun 01 2011 at 2:45 PM Rating: Good
digitalcraft wrote:
Oblivion by the way, I never finished once I realized the level synch system. It so very killed the game for me I simply didn't care and just quit it right then and there. Didn't even care I was in the middle of the story.

New TES game won't have it like that though so me=happy


This is a very interesting topic. Have you played any of the previous Elders Scrolls? Typically in the series, you will be over-powered for all missions after the first time you go off on your own to level up and find new gear.

The monsters in Oblivion scaled to your level, but not to your gear. So you had a monster that was of a challenging level, but your stacked magical gear/ spell buffs would put you leagues ahead in terms of overall power.

They (Bethesda) have yet to create a system that does not allow for you to become over-powered very quickly, and I would expect that some version of level scaling will be absolutely necessary to achieve this.

The difference between a player that understands every stat/weapon/spell/attack/buff and stacks them for optimization, and a player who is just playing along for fun, with very little understanding of the game mechanics is vast.

Does this mean that we would prefer:
A.) A simple difficulty setting at the beginning of the game?
B.) Monsters that are so tough that casual players will never beat them?
c.) Monsters that are so easy that experienced players will be bored?
D.) Enemies that scale to your performance?

Do we want end game content to be:
A.) Predetermined difficulty, regardless of how strong you are? (I stomped through the Morrowind and Oblivion endgames with nary a challenge in sight.)
B.) Scaled to your level, but not gear?
C.) Impossible for casuals to complete?

The most satisfying RPG experience I've had of late is completing Dragon Age: Origins on Nightmare difficulty. Every second was precious. Every spell cast was a win or lose decision. Every command input was meaningful. The victory was exhilarating. This would indicate that setting the entire game's difficulty is the best way to fit the challenge to the player.

But in the Elder Scrolls, even with level scaling, the combination of the right spells/weapons/buffs would just make you invincible. The final bosses were laughable. Hack, Hack, Hack. Deamon Lord indeed. Bah.

How do you create a endgame challenge for a player that could range in power from feeble, to godly, to whatever-is-more-powerful-than-godly?

The difficulty settings should be:
Easy
Casual
Challenging
Hardcore
Mathematician

#21 Jun 01 2011 at 9:06 PM Rating: Good
*
131 posts
pixelpop wrote:
Quote:
a separate battle system post

i just checked the lodestone threads and i didnt see any posts about the battle system... am i missing something?

oh edit, nvm, you mean there is going to be one, ok cool.

Edited, May 31st 2011 3:51pm by pixelpop


There is that battle blueprint post as well.
____________________________
#22 Jun 02 2011 at 12:07 AM Rating: Excellent
SmashingtonWho wrote:

The monsters in Oblivion scaled to your level, but not to your gear. So you had a monster that was of a challenging level, but your stacked magical gear/ spell buffs would put you leagues ahead in terms of overall power.




But gear drops scaled to your level. :( This means that you see that awesome glass sword and go yay woo rare sword, feels good man! Then the next mob drops the exact thing, and the next, and the next. It made drops so unexciting. Just throw the new stuff on the stack, woopedy doo.
____________________________
Die! Die die die. die die die die, die die. - Scarlet Briar
#23 Jun 02 2011 at 4:12 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,449 posts
digitalcraft wrote:
SmashingtonWho wrote:

The monsters in Oblivion scaled to your level, but not to your gear. So you had a monster that was of a challenging level, but your stacked magical gear/ spell buffs would put you leagues ahead in terms of overall power.




But gear drops scaled to your level. :( This means that you see that awesome glass sword and go yay woo rare sword, feels good man! Then the next mob drops the exact thing, and the next, and the next. It made drops so unexciting. Just throw the new stuff on the stack, woopedy doo.


I too left Oblivion aside because of the mobs scaling alongside yourself.

Basically as soon as the introduction story was finished and you were able to get to town I took my time doing missions in it and obtained about 15 leves of which I used the points mainly in social skills trying to get my character ti be some sort of mercantile character.

Enough to be said that once I decided to leave town and explore a bit I got my but handed to me by some goblins in a cave just outside the walls. After that I acyually did look it up online to check what I might be doing wrong and read all information about how to level the "right way" so as to maintain the balance between yourself and the mobs.

At the end of the day I found that the most chalanging thing in the game was just to work out the mathematics on the required leveling and not really the game and as such havent touched it since. My wife, which purchased the game wasn't very happy about me not playing it (she knows I love RPGs( but eventually understood the reason why.
____________________________


My FFXIV Blog



#24 Jun 02 2011 at 10:20 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
49 posts
I'm so glad I'm not the only person who didn't care for Oblivion. Everyone seemed to love it so much I forced myself not once, but three times to try to play through it. All three times resulted in me growing bored and giving up. Actually the third time I got most of the way through the main quest, but after I was turned into a vampire I got really frustrated. Definitely did not have that problem with Fallout 3, however. Vegas was "meh".

Edited, Jun 3rd 2011 12:27am by mullesch85
____________________________


#25 Jun 02 2011 at 11:42 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,530 posts
digitalcraft wrote:
KaneKitty wrote:
digitalcraft wrote:
The leveling system was clunky and didn't work well even at the time


But such systems of leveling would later be adapted in games like The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion (and, later this year, Skyrim) to much success.

One step at a time, after all; it's not easy to make a great plot when you only have about a fourth of a megabyte with which to do it!



Oblivion by the way, I never finished once I realized the level synch system. It so very killed the game for me I simply didn't care and just quit it right then and there. Didn't even care I was in the middle of the story.

New TES game won't have it like that though so me=happy


I go back and fourth. With a game as large as Oblivion, it's difficult to balance free exploration with unlimited leveling. I've played open-world games that simply become stale and uninteresting once I realize that 75% of the remaining content is one-shottable even with my weakest attacks.

That said, the dev. of Skyrim said that they will balance the leveling system more than Oblivion's.
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#26 Jun 02 2011 at 11:54 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,120 posts
I love some Oblivion & Fallout. I actually don't mind the wacky leveling and sometimes built a character around becoming a vampire. Good stuff. Definitely lookin' forward to the new ES comin' up.
____________________________

#27 Jun 03 2011 at 10:51 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
mullesch85 wrote:
I'm so glad I'm not the only person who didn't care for Oblivion. Everyone seemed to love it so much I forced myself not once, but three times to try to play through it. All three times resulted in me growing bored and giving up. Actually the third time I got most of the way through the main quest, but after I was turned into a vampire I got really frustrated. Definitely did not have that problem with Fallout 3, however. Vegas was "meh".

Edited, Jun 3rd 2011 12:27am by mullesch85


I can see how many people would find that boring. I however loved the open world type games. When I play games like that, I'm more in it for the story line than I am for the leveling. When it comes to a game, the story really needs to catch my attention, and to me that is what Bethesda did with TES series, I started with TES III: Morrowind, IDK if I could play the previous two, I heard they weren't very good compared to Morrowind. However, I was a little disappointed that they are setting it in the country of Skyrim :/ I was hoping for Elswyer *sp?*. I really enjoy the Kajit race and would love to learn more about their background and culture. I really enjoyed the culture of Morrowind and the Dwemer and Dunmer and the history.
____________________________


"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
#28 Jun 03 2011 at 3:08 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,045 posts
The extended free period I have to say was one of the worst ideas they've had, they should of put the game back into a beta mode and that been free. What they did was devalue the game and gave the entire current playerbase a huge sense of entitlement, which will be almost impossible to counter. As was said above everyone will have pet peeves about what makes the game "worth it" and some will just not want to pay for something they got for free for so long.

If they make a good battle system and the next patch considered a success the vast majority still won't be happy to pay for it. Whereas if the game had of launched as it will be after the patch "if the patch lives upto what evryone is expecting" they would of.

1-3 months free or back to beta stage would of been a good business decision, nearly a year being free is a bad one.
____________________________
BANNED
#29 Jun 03 2011 at 6:54 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
preludes wrote:
The extended free period I have to say was one of the worst ideas they've had, they should of put the game back into a beta mode and that been free. What they did was devalue the game and gave the entire current playerbase a huge sense of entitlement, which will be almost impossible to counter. As was said above everyone will have pet peeves about what makes the game "worth it" and some will just not want to pay for something they got for free for so long.

If they make a good battle system and the next patch considered a success the vast majority still won't be happy to pay for it. Whereas if the game had of launched as it will be after the patch "if the patch lives upto what evryone is expecting" they would of.

1-3 months free or back to beta stage would of been a good business decision, nearly a year being free is a bad one.


Well, TBH, the current playerbase I think is entitled in a way. Many have stuck by SE's side, including myself, still having hopes that they will turn this game around. Sorry you feel that way, but I think many of us have earned the sense of entitlement we deserve...even though I have no clue what we are entitled too :P

Many made the choice to fuss about the game and /ragequit, and might I add justifiably so, really. I mean, the game was released way too early, and very very hard to deal with in the beginning, but overtime, many things have been fixed, SE is trying to make nice with the players for doing them wrong, and at the same time trying to draw players who /ragequitted back and at the same time trying to draw in new players...

so...yes I feel I am entitled for sticking by this game :P So nya :P
____________________________


"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
#30 Jun 03 2011 at 7:30 PM Rating: Decent
*
101 posts
They wont be showing off FFXIV PC or PS3 version till they are satisfied with it ergo the same time we start paying for it is what I assume. And I wouldn't be surprised if this coincided with TGS.
____________________________
booh
#31 Jun 03 2011 at 7:36 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
Kayako wrote:
They wont be showing off FFXIV PC or PS3 version till they are satisfied with it ergo the same time we start paying for it is what I assume. And I wouldn't be surprised if this coincided with TGS.


What is TGS?
____________________________


"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
#32 Jun 03 2011 at 7:38 PM Rating: Good
*
101 posts
Tokyo Game Show.
____________________________
booh
#33 Jun 03 2011 at 9:12 PM Rating: Good
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
LillithaFenimore wrote:
Well, TBH, the current playerbase I think is entitled in a way. Many have stuck by SE's side, including myself, still having hopes that they will turn this game around.
Yeah, takes real courage to stand beside a free game.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#34 Jun 04 2011 at 12:07 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
136 posts
If i were a betting man I'd go with that there not going to make too big a deal about the june patch.
They have a tendency to play up their patches but Yoshi-P phrased a lot of the June patch that suggest early stage implementation, the same goes for stuff like the quest and NM system. I don't think Yoshi-P is at all satisfied with either of those in their current states, so for him to give SE the go ahead to start marketing an Augest PS3 release is just disastrous. Yoshi-P even went so far as to admit in several interviews that one of the main factors in FFXIV's failure was SE's inability to respond to the development's teams needs and expanding on time constraints.

I think most of us who've been playing month to month and keeping up with updates weekly and reading every interview are expecting the June update to be significant but still requiring a few months of ironing out. After that point its going to take SE at least another 2 months to continue to smooth over the rest of the UI issues and implement chocobos, airships, and the other missing features, before even considering the PS3 saving throw.

To be fair though i wouldn't be surprised if the big wigs on the SE board of directors disregard their developing directors advise and decide to pull the rug out from under them. To be fair though I have more faith in a Japanese business practicing patience then an American business.

I think the development team is more than talented enough to make this game a marginal success, the only X factor here is time.
#35 Jun 07 2011 at 7:51 AM Rating: Excellent
2 posts
I really would just want someone from SE to explain to me, how the **** they could jack up a game that they had been working on for YEARS and having success with another MMORPG already in use?!

I was soo excited for 14 especially after testing in Beta. But I kept hearing from my LS mates that SE was ready to release at such and such date and I told them NO WAY! Not ready and ... well.... it wasn't. I played till March of this year and just stopped after most of my server went MIA.

Keep up to date as much as possible but 99% of the comments here are dead on from each persons POV. Guess we will have to see what happens. Hopefully, all this time away will help me see the game as "new" and the /ragequiters will return with a much better attitude.


#36 Jun 07 2011 at 11:49 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
*
224 posts
Imagine you were making dinner for a very special someone. You put all your love and considerable time in preparing it. Then, without checking it's internal temperature, you pull it out of the oven 30 minutes early and serve it.

#37 Jun 08 2011 at 6:37 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,235 posts
Yes, I have to agree with the notion the player-base has a right to feel a certain amount of entitlement. Normally that word is not nice to throw at any person or group, but in this case...

We paid premium prices for the CE and normal software.
A vast majority of the players sunk not-to-be-sneezed-at amounts of money into upgrades to hardware, or entire new rigs, as the benchmark and recommended requirements were off the scale.
At launch we got a trainwreck of a release, calling it a beta is being generous. I would have put it somewhere between alpha and beta. Some grey area where the map design was done, and minimal content had been added along with the battle engine for initial testing.
Add the fact that all us beta testers practically begged SE to realize it was not ready to launch unless they had some surprise super-patch they were not discussing ready for launch day, and you can begin to understand the "entitlement" feeling being well deserved.

TBH if they gave everyone who has stuck it out since launch day free lifetime subs, I wouldn't feel the least bit guilty about not paying to play, ever.

I'm not that guy that believed all the prophesized "XIV will be dead in XX months!!" posts, but I am realizing that if June isn't something spectacular, it's going to be very bad for the future of this game.

____________________________


"Don't take it personally man, white knights would eat a can of **** if the label said SE on it. If anyone dared mention that it was not a good product, they'd just argue if someone can't appreciate the subtle nuances in the ****, they should just go back to eating lolrealfood, cuz the devs prolly know more about canning food than they do."
#38 Jun 08 2011 at 7:16 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
Restyoneck wrote:
Yes, I have to agree with the notion the player-base has a right to feel a certain amount of entitlement. Normally that word is not nice to throw at any person or group, but in this case...

We paid premium prices for the CE and normal software.
A vast majority of the players sunk not-to-be-sneezed-at amounts of money into upgrades to hardware, or entire new rigs, as the benchmark and recommended requirements were off the scale.
At launch we got a trainwreck of a release, calling it a beta is being generous. I would have put it somewhere between alpha and beta. Some grey area where the map design was done, and minimal content had been added along with the battle engine for initial testing.
Add the fact that all us beta testers practically begged SE to realize it was not ready to launch unless they had some surprise super-patch they were not discussing ready for launch day, and you can begin to understand the "entitlement" feeling being well deserved.

TBH if they gave everyone who has stuck it out since launch day free lifetime subs, I wouldn't feel the least bit guilty about not paying to play, ever.

I'm not that guy that believed all the prophesized "XIV will be dead in XX months!!" posts, but I am realizing that if June isn't something spectacular, it's going to be very bad for the future of this game.



Yeah I would have to agree. It will be a shame if they can't get their act together because the graphics are wonderful.
____________________________


"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
#39 Jun 08 2011 at 8:08 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
**
560 posts
Is everything clear yet?
____________________________


#40 Jun 08 2011 at 11:12 PM Rating: Good
**
621 posts
nope still foggy
____________________________
Kweh?!

...prophesizing the golden patch since october 2010.
#41 Jun 11 2011 at 9:37 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,530 posts
Is it early June yet...?
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#42 Jun 11 2011 at 9:53 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
*
176 posts
Yes, yes I believe it is.
____________________________

TERA looks tasty...
#43 Jun 11 2011 at 11:35 PM Rating: Good
*
206 posts
Two more days... mid-June...

qq
____________________________
#44 Jun 12 2011 at 3:20 AM Rating: Excellent
**
353 posts
Early June everything will be clearer..

that nothing will happen.

There ya go.
#45 Jun 12 2011 at 3:28 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
176 posts
Have faith, a miracle patch is just around the corner! ^^
____________________________

TERA looks tasty...
#46 Jun 12 2011 at 5:39 AM Rating: Decent
**
621 posts
Riniaru wrote:
Have faith, a miracle patch is just around the corner! ^^


You are referring to The Golden Patch(TM)?
____________________________
Kweh?!

...prophesizing the golden patch since october 2010.
#47 Jun 12 2011 at 6:17 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
insanekangaroo wrote:
Riniaru wrote:
Have faith, a miracle patch is just around the corner! ^^


You are referring to The Golden Patch(TM)?



Nope, Miracle Patch. Golden Patch sounds like golden shower, which is yuckie... So we are trying to be positive about this next update! If it blows then you can call it a Golden Patch...
____________________________


"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
#48 Jun 12 2011 at 6:34 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
Quote:
Nope, Miracle Patch. Golden Patch sounds like golden shower, which is yuckie... So we are trying to be positive about this next update! If it blows then you can call it a Golden Patch...

Sounds familiar.
You could at least have waited until the echo from the last time we said so has died off.

Edited, Jun 12th 2011 8:34am by Rinsui
#49 Jun 12 2011 at 12:35 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
Rinsui wrote:
Quote:
Nope, Miracle Patch. Golden Patch sounds like golden shower, which is yuckie... So we are trying to be positive about this next update! If it blows then you can call it a Golden Patch...

Sounds familiar.
You could at least have waited until the echo from the last time we said so has died off.

Edited, Jun 12th 2011 8:34am by Rinsui



Sorry!
____________________________


"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
#50 Jun 12 2011 at 12:37 PM Rating: Good
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
LillithaFenimore wrote:
Golden Patch sounds like golden shower
Not to me. Maybe only to those prone to golden showers...
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#51 Jun 12 2011 at 2:11 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
bsphil wrote:
LillithaFenimore wrote:
Golden Patch sounds like golden shower
Not to me. Maybe only to those prone to golden showers...

Ew! That was wrong! Lol ew!
____________________________


"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
« Previous 1 2
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 14 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (14)