Forum Settings
       
1 2 Next »
This thread is locked

New Materia System InfoFollow

#52 Jun 02 2011 at 1:36 PM Rating: Good
*
109 posts
pixelpop wrote:

for instance i know WoW allows magic users to augment their spell casting speed instead instead of raising their magic damage or anything else. FFXI only had mag acc and mag damage augments, other games from what ive seen have more to augment.


Fast Cast yo
also Recast and Cast Time augmentation which Fast Cast is a combination of
____________________________

Kashius wrote:
Things WoW did not invent:
...
- Fun
#53 Jun 02 2011 at 1:36 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
513 posts
Chromanin wrote:
Am I going to have to breed a gold chocobo to get "Knights of the Round" again?

Your gold chocobo only gives you a 17.5% chance to get KotR. If you fail, you lose all your birds and will have to start from scratch.

Edited, Jun 2nd 2011 3:37pm by Omena
____________________________
#54 Jun 02 2011 at 2:02 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*
181 posts
Omena wrote:
Chromanin wrote:
Am I going to have to breed a gold chocobo to get "Knights of the Round" again?

Your gold chocobo only gives you a 17.5% chance to get KotR. If you fail, you lose all your birds and will have to start from scratch.

Edited, Jun 2nd 2011 3:37pm by Omena
I miss stuff like this. Hidden characters, Aeons locked away in distant places that you had to work to get and excellent loot hidden in dungeons and other places in the far corners of the world that you only discovered if you were a true explorer and ventured way off the beaten path. It seems like a lot of game devs have dropped this idea and made everything way too accessible. The sarcastic post about making it easy for a five-year-old to do was right on...
#55 Jun 02 2011 at 3:56 PM Rating: Good
***
1,636 posts
scorleone wrote:
Omena wrote:
Chromanin wrote:
Am I going to have to breed a gold chocobo to get "Knights of the Round" again?

Your gold chocobo only gives you a 17.5% chance to get KotR. If you fail, you lose all your birds and will have to start from scratch.

Edited, Jun 2nd 2011 3:37pm by Omena
I miss stuff like this. Hidden characters, Aeons locked away in distant places that you had to work to get and excellent loot hidden in dungeons and other places in the far corners of the world that you only discovered if you were a true explorer and ventured way off the beaten path. It seems like a lot of game devs have dropped this idea and made everything way too accessible. The sarcastic post about making it easy for a five-year-old to do was right on...


The internet kind of killed stuff like this. Anything secret discovered ends up on a forum with 30 FAQs on how to get it in the first month. I guess people could keep putting stuff like this in, but the way things are going, games sell more copies when they're easily accessible.
____________________________


#56 Jun 02 2011 at 4:04 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
Quote:
The internet kind of killed stuff like this.

True. There are no more "secret" secrets in games.
Especially not in MMOs.

...

Actually, Absolute Virtue ws a secret for 2 1/2 years. You really like such stuff?
#57 Jun 02 2011 at 4:17 PM Rating: Excellent
*
91 posts
Quote:
Actually, Absolute Virtue ws a secret for 2 1/2 years. You really like such stuff?


I actually did like AV. I did NOT like how SE handled him, though. Everytime someone found a way to beat him, they'd ninja buff him. Then they released those B. S. videos that were supposed to reveal the secret to beating him the "right" way.
#58 Jun 02 2011 at 4:21 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
626 posts
LemmingKingXXX wrote:
pixelpop wrote:

for instance i know WoW allows magic users to augment their spell casting speed instead instead of raising their magic damage or anything else. FFXI only had mag acc and mag damage augments, other games from what ive seen have more to augment.


Fast Cast yo
also Recast and Cast Time augmentation which Fast Cast is a combination of

oh i didnt see fast cast, my point still stands though, in WoW you can stack your "fast cast", you keep ugrading it (ofcourse there is a cap) but casting speed in other games is more like a stat that you can keep building up instead of INT and PIE which other games also have.
so i guess our fast cast is an all around thing thats nice to have instead of a stat you can focus on building.

Edited, Jun 2nd 2011 6:22pm by pixelpop
____________________________

#59 Jun 02 2011 at 5:46 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
245 posts
Actually, you can stack fast cast effects in FFXI too. There are various pieces of equipment that have "Enhances Fast Cast Effect." The more you have, the lower your recast and cast times are, up to a certain point.
#60 Jun 02 2011 at 9:50 PM Rating: Good
***
3,530 posts
KujaKoF wrote:
The internetStrategy guides kind of killed stuff like this.


I say we go back to the time when video games were orally communicated and writing systems didn't make the precious secrets easily available to any nobleman who could afford a tutor! >: [
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#61 Jun 03 2011 at 1:36 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,449 posts
Omena wrote:
Hugus wrote:

Personally I don't see anything wrong with this, one thing that MMOs need to do is to cater for both hardcore and non-hardcore players. I don't see the materia system being as a drawback to anything, just another improvement which some players might want to avail of and other might not.

Giving options to the gamers is not a bad a thing, just because some of them might not like them is no reason to present stuff from being added into the game.

It's not optional. You use materia or you're gimp. If you think this is some Holy Grail of free customization and options for all, you're incredibly naive. Cookie cutter builds will prevail and if it's hugely annoying to get where you're expected to be in terms of materia, the system is not going to be enjoyable.

Edited, Jun 2nd 2011 10:41am by Omena


This will always be optional in the real sense od the word but at the end of the day it all depends on the game and the comunity. People talk about the Elitism present in FFXI but for all of that you could still get parties in mid hugh equipment, you didn't really need to have the Uber. Personally, as a THF I remembered looking at the "Homan" (?) gear amongst other pieces which I really wanted but never got to own. That didn't mean I wasn't able to get a party, even to be recognised within those parties as a good enough THF.

On the other hand you can have the other end of the spectrum as WoW in which no one cares about your equipment until your at leve cap and start doing those dungeons on normal/heroic mode. Even in FFXIV things can be seen that just make me cringe; I once just left a behest because someone simply went into it as a LNC geared as a crafter and noone sai anything, it seems to be acceptable.

If you want to be in the "respected HNMLS" in your server then this might seem mandatory but you don't really need to be there, more, people who aspire to be the leet ones they don't mind putting in the extra work for it.
____________________________


My FFXIV Blog



#62 Jun 04 2011 at 3:47 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
513 posts
Hugus wrote:

This will always be optional in the real sense od the word but at the end of the day it all depends on the game and the comunity. People talk about the Elitism present in FFXI but for all of that you could still get parties in mid hugh equipment, you didn't really need to have the Uber. Personally, as a THF I remembered looking at the "Homan" (?) gear amongst other pieces which I really wanted but never got to own. That didn't mean I wasn't able to get a party, even to be recognised within those parties as a good enough THF.

The way I see it there is always a cut-off point where you go from reasonable to exceptional. Just to name an FFXI example, I was leveling my RNG in the 30s and I had all HQ gear + Leaping Boots and Emperor Hairpin (I think) but I didn't have a Peacock Charm. My gear was "expensive" but the Charm was probably worth like ten times the rest of my stuff combined, so I didn't see it as something I "should" have. In fact, the LB and EH were so expensive I think it would be unreasonable to expect them from every player.


Edited, Jun 4th 2011 6:01am by Omena
____________________________
#63 Jun 04 2011 at 8:57 AM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
Omena wrote:
Hugus wrote:

This will always be optional in the real sense od the word but at the end of the day it all depends on the game and the comunity. People talk about the Elitism present in FFXI but for all of that you could still get parties in mid hugh equipment, you didn't really need to have the Uber. Personally, as a THF I remembered looking at the "Homan" (?) gear amongst other pieces which I really wanted but never got to own. That didn't mean I wasn't able to get a party, even to be recognised within those parties as a good enough THF.

The way I see it there is always a cut-off point where you go from reasonable to exceptional. Just to name an FFXI example, I was leveling my RNG in the 30s and I had all HQ gear + Leaping Boots and Emperor Hairpin (I think) but I didn't have a Peacock Charm. My gear was "expensive" but the Charm was probably worth like ten times the rest of my stuff combined, so I didn't see it as something I "should" have. In fact, the LB and EH were so expensive I think it would be unreasonable to expect them from every player.


Edited, Jun 4th 2011 6:01am by Omena


There were actually several ways to relatively easily obtain E.H./L.B. by the time I left. You could camp the NM that almost NO ONE camped anymore, you could do the BCNM's, etc... Are you talking about a long time ago when ffxi was new? If so, I can understand where you might say that, but anytime within the past 5-6 years it was pretty easy to get them, and those pieces were pretty much the staple of any DD job. I certainly wouldn't expect everyone to have a PCC however.
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#64 Jun 04 2011 at 9:12 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
513 posts
BartelX wrote:

There were actually several ways to relatively easily obtain E.H./L.B. by the time I left. You could camp the NM that almost NO ONE camped anymore, you could do the BCNM's, etc... Are you talking about a long time ago when ffxi was new? If so, I can understand where you might say that, but anytime within the past 5-6 years it was pretty easy to get them, and those pieces were pretty much the staple of any DD job. I certainly wouldn't expect everyone to have a PCC however.

I'm talking like late CoP, earlyish ToAU. Those NMs were definitely camped and the drop rates were as bad as ever. It was before the drops were made Rare/EX, so obviously people camped them in hopes of a quick buck.


Edited, Jun 6th 2011 11:30am by Omena
____________________________
#65 Jun 05 2011 at 3:12 PM Rating: Default
2 posts
Ostia wrote:
So basically wow gemming nice :P


Yeah, because crafting with Materia in Final Fantasy wasn't happening before WoW came out!

Wow didn't copy anything from any other MMO because they are the biggest MMO around. They are 100% original in their ideas.

/sarcasm off



Edited, Jun 5th 2011 5:15pm by Linkurrra

Edited, Jun 5th 2011 5:15pm by Linkurrra
____________________________

#66 Jun 05 2011 at 4:03 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
626 posts
Linkurrra wrote:
Ostia wrote:
So basically wow gemming nice :P


Yeah, because crafting with Materia in Final Fantasy wasn't happening before WoW came out!

Wow didn't copy anything from any other MMO because they are the biggest MMO around. They are 100% original in their ideas.

/sarcasm off

Edited, Jun 5th 2011 5:15pm by Linkurrra

im wondering how many of the average modern MMO player would know much about crafting with materia pre-WoW.
____________________________

#67 Jun 05 2011 at 4:22 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,149 posts
Does the materia crafting system strike anyone else as being really similar sounding to the failed evolith system in FFXI? I know there are differences like materia being crafted instead of dropped by NM, but the two sound really close to me. Sounds good in theory, but I didn't like it in practice.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#68 Jun 05 2011 at 4:34 PM Rating: Good
***
1,949 posts
FilthMcNasty wrote:
Does the materia crafting system strike anyone else as being really similar sounding to the failed evolith system in FFXI? I know there are differences like materia being crafted instead of dropped by NM, but the two sound really close to me. Sounds good in theory, but I didn't like it in practice.

Essentially Evolith with 2 differences, yeah.
1- You get the core item, Materia, from grinding while wearing gear, which you lose if you transform into materia.
2- You need a second item to combine Materia with equipment, which is found while harvesting.

Sounds like a lot of trouble, so the real question is how potent will the buffs be?

Edited, Jun 5th 2011 6:35pm by Docent42
____________________________
FFXIV: Cloe Delisle Scholar, officer of the SWAGGER Free company, Sargatanas server.
#69 Jun 05 2011 at 4:44 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,339 posts
Hugus wrote:
On the other hand you can have the other end of the spectrum as WoW in which no one cares about your equipment until your at leve cap and start doing those dungeons on normal/heroic mode. Even in FFXIV things can be seen that just make me cringe; I once just left a behest because someone simply went into it as a LNC geared as a crafter and noone sai anything, it seems to be acceptable.


Yes, because WoW is clearly the only MMO where the only gear that really matters is endgame?

You leaving a behest only helped them I imagine, because if you're dumb enough to leave over *stats* in FFXIV (where they do virtually nothing aside from health and mana in the small amounts you get) then you aren't in the game to have fun anyway. You're there to try to appear to be superior and fail in doing so.
#70 Jun 05 2011 at 4:58 PM Rating: Good
***
1,949 posts
Viertel wrote:
leave over *stats* in FFXIV (where they do virtually nothing aside from health and mana in the small amounts you get) then you aren't in the game to have fun anyway

Woah there, hold your horses a moment...

Am I to understand that trying to be the best I can be (always on the lookout for upgrades, trying to HQ gear, getting good cross-class skills, carrying various weapons for the different enemy types) means I have no fun playing the game?

Or is it only Hugus who crossed the line because he's expecting others to care about their own performances, but I'm okay because I don't try to force others to play the way I do?
____________________________
FFXIV: Cloe Delisle Scholar, officer of the SWAGGER Free company, Sargatanas server.
#71 Jun 05 2011 at 6:24 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,149 posts
Docent42 wrote:
Am I to understand that trying to be the best I can be (always on the lookout for upgrades, trying to HQ gear, getting good cross-class skills, carrying various weapons for the different enemy types) means I have no fun playing the game?

I think it was more a matter of him leaving an event he probably could have enjoyed anyway because he felt someone else wasn't geared up for it. It's a behest. Who really gives a ****?
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#72 Jun 05 2011 at 8:05 PM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
FilthMcNasty wrote:
Docent42 wrote:
Am I to understand that trying to be the best I can be (always on the lookout for upgrades, trying to HQ gear, getting good cross-class skills, carrying various weapons for the different enemy types) means I have no fun playing the game?

I think it was more a matter of him leaving an event he probably could have enjoyed anyway because he felt someone else wasn't geared up for it. It's a behest. Who really gives a sh*t?


Well, since gear makes VERY little difference in this game, I can see your point. But truthfully, I really hate this mentality with a passion. I can't stand the players who think "it's only XXX, it doesn't matter". Because unfortunately, for the most part, it's these same players that show up to XP parties or anything else wearing the same type of gear because they just don't give a ****. "I can play however I want"... you sure can, but don't expect me to ever want to play with you again. When you show up in ****** gear to a group event, it effects more than just you. So while I agree that lolbehest might not matter, often times it goes far beyond just these encounters.
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#73 Jun 05 2011 at 10:00 PM Rating: Decent
18 posts
On that note too, while stats at the moment don't affect things much in the long run , that's not to say that come the battle changes in tandem with this materia system that things will acutally mean sh*t. And that means (even more so) people should start giving a ****. To me this materia system just shows that with the coming changes, things are going to be pretty different than what we know the game to be right now right now.

With that, knowing base stats are going to start making a bigger profound difference on performance, I'm glad to know there is a materia system on the way to take advantage of that even more.

Edited for better use of the english language.

Edited, Jun 6th 2011 12:02am by ZigiaraNyosu

Edited, Jun 6th 2011 12:04am by ZigiaraNyosu
#74 Jun 06 2011 at 12:28 AM Rating: Decent
**
412 posts
It would be EXTREMELY cool if they made the items give really unique benefits like enhanced spells or enhanced spear damage.
It would be similar to FF9 where you had to use an item to learn its skills but instead of learning the skill, you're able to turn the item in to a skill you can equip on another item.
Sounds ******* awesome.

Immune to poison chest only...
think of the possibilities..
____________________________
They appeared from the sky, the one without a heart... "Omega"...And the one who followed it..."Shinryuu"...
Final Fantasy 5
#75 Jun 06 2011 at 3:00 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,449 posts
Viertel wrote:
Hugus wrote:
On the other hand you can have the other end of the spectrum as WoW in which no one cares about your equipment until your at leve cap and start doing those dungeons on normal/heroic mode. Even in FFXIV things can be seen that just make me cringe; I once just left a behest because someone simply went into it as a LNC geared as a crafter and noone sai anything, it seems to be acceptable.


Yes, because WoW is clearly the only MMO where the only gear that really matters is endgame?

You leaving a behest only helped them I imagine, because if you're dumb enough to leave over *stats* in FFXIV (where they do virtually nothing aside from health and mana in the small amounts you get) then you aren't in the game to have fun anyway. You're there to try to appear to be superior and fail in doing so.


In my opinion this is the kind of mentality that diferentiates people that prefer WoW or people that prefer FFXI, while on one it was more of a "everything goes" kind of mentality on the other you actually concerned yourself with the way you were perceived by other players.

One of my foundest memories in FFXI was the community because (with small exceptions) everyone worked together to meet an objective because at the end of the line you yourself would probably need someone elses help as well. In my example I can see that the person in question didn't need me to be there to get their SP but I felt that by taking part in a party which allowed a members to be using a DoW in DoH clothes I was saying that this is acceptable behaviour and in my opinion it is not.
____________________________


My FFXIV Blog



#76 Jun 06 2011 at 3:10 AM Rating: Decent
****
4,149 posts
BartelX wrote:
Well, since gear makes VERY little difference in this game, I can see your point. But truthfully, I really hate this mentality with a passion.

Just to clarify, I was one of the players in XI that you'd lol @ for standing in Fei'Yin camping for my (now worthless) Ebow. I usually grouped for exp with friends who also put in the time to get the best gear they could to perform, but public events will always cater to, well... the public. You run into people in FFXI doing besieged who spam low tier spells for skillups or show up for campaign on a job level that can barely hit the mobs, much less do any damage. That's how those events work so you kinda have to deal with it.

On topic

Not to fan the FF vs WoW fire, but some of the most welcomed changes to this game are things you'd already find in WoW or other games. If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it so to speak. Speaking specifically about the ability to change stats on gear, I really like the reforging system WoW uses. It basically allows you to apply 40% of one stat to another of your choice provided the gear doesn't already have that stat. In terms of FFXI(because it already has an active augment system), imagine being able to take advantage of reforging.

Imagine what you could do being able to swap raw attributes, hp<->mp or even % points for things like haste, Double/Triple attack or Physical/Magical damage taken.

Over the haste cap and want to increase your critical or double attack chance? Easy. Trying to piece together the ultimate MDT/PDT set? No sweat. Is SE not trolling you hard with enough zanshin gear and you need moar? Go for it. The possibilities(and the freedom added to inventory) makes me moist just thinking about it. Yet instead of welcoming what worked in the past or even currently, we gotta be cutting edge and go against the grain. Why?

Edited, Jun 6th 2011 5:13am by FilthMcNasty
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#77 Jun 06 2011 at 7:53 AM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
FilthMcNasty wrote:
BartelX wrote:
Well, since gear makes VERY little difference in this game, I can see your point. But truthfully, I really hate this mentality with a passion.

Just to clarify, I was one of the players in XI that you'd lol @ for standing in Fei'Yin camping for my (now worthless) Ebow. I usually grouped for exp with friends who also put in the time to get the best gear they could to perform, but public events will always cater to, well... the public. You run into people in FFXI doing besieged who spam low tier spells for skillups or show up for campaign on a job level that can barely hit the mobs, much less do any damage. That's how those events work so you kinda have to deal with it.

On topic

Not to fan the FF vs WoW fire, but some of the most welcomed changes to this game are things you'd already find in WoW or other games. If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it so to speak. Speaking specifically about the ability to change stats on gear, I really like the reforging system WoW uses. It basically allows you to apply 40% of one stat to another of your choice provided the gear doesn't already have that stat. In terms of FFXI(because it already has an active augment system), imagine being able to take advantage of reforging.

Imagine what you could do being able to swap raw attributes, hp<->mp or even % points for things like haste, Double/Triple attack or Physical/Magical damage taken.

Over the haste cap and want to increase your critical or double attack chance? Easy. Trying to piece together the ultimate MDT/PDT set? No sweat. Is SE not trolling you hard with enough zanshin gear and you need moar? Go for it. The possibilities(and the freedom added to inventory) makes me moist just thinking about it. Yet instead of welcoming what worked in the past or even currently, we gotta be cutting edge and go against the grain. Why?

Edited, Jun 6th 2011 5:13am by FilthMcNasty


I don't think it's necessarily them trying to go against the grain, at least not for ffxi. Before the introduction of Abyssea, gear had a specific purpose. It really defined the player and to be completely honest, as much as people don't want to admit it, gear made a MASSIVE difference to your performance. For instance, the second I got my e.body on war, my damage output and parse% in parties jumped DRAMATICALLY. As in, it was almost a 10% increase in my total damage output for 1 piece of gear. However, to balance this, it was extremely hard to get due to the competitive nature of the game.

Since then they've added augments, AF3+1, etc, etc. and I don't think gear has nearly the impact that it once had in that game, which I really don't know if I like it or not. I'll be the first to admit that I was very proud of the gear that I had, because it showed that I was committed to my character and also my LS, and put in my time. The sense of accomplishment I felt when I got those uber pieces of gear was unrivaled to anything I'd ever experienced in gaming prior to this. I don't feel I would be nearly as excited now, since a lot of the gear is not only easier to obtain (heck, people get relics in a matter of months now), but also because it can be fully customized with augments and the like.

Please don't misunderstand, I think it's fantastic that ffxi became more casual friendly, because the learning curve and time investment in that game was tremendous. I'm just saying that as a relatively hardcore gamer, I feel that some of the accomplishment was lost the second they made things easier.

So, to make an actual POINT in all this... I guess it's a really tough job to try and balance customization in gear while still allowing for that sense of accomplishment. In the end, trying to please one type of player (casual or hardcore) usually ends up ******** over the other. This is why I'm still kind of intrigued by how FFXIV might turn out, because it seems like SE is really trying to cater to both sides. Whether or not that will actually work or blow up in their face remains to be seen.
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#78 Jun 06 2011 at 11:24 PM Rating: Good
****
4,149 posts
BartelX wrote:
I'll be the first to admit that I was very proud of the gear that I had, because it showed that I was committed to my character and also my LS, and put in my time. The sense of accomplishment I felt when I got those uber pieces of gear was unrivaled to anything I'd ever experienced in gaming prior to this. I don't feel I would be nearly as excited now, since a lot of the gear is not only easier to obtain (heck, people get relics in a matter of months now), but also because it can be fully customized with augments and the like.


I wanted gear more for the sake of performance. It wasn't really for any sense of accomplishment. I got that from downing foes on the battlefield. A Fafhogg that dropped me a ridill or E body was just as exciting to fight as one who didn't have any gear for me. Not to attack your point or anything, but I think it's the 'sense of accomplishment' that hurt XI and the community. Everything had to be incredibly tedious or take ages to complete even if for only a mediocre performance increase to be respected.

Relics don't exactly fall from the sky these days either. It probably takes a bit less time to get a relic, but the effort is probably put to better use getting empyrean weapons. These weapons come along faster, most are better than their relic counterpart and they use current content. The fact that people are completing more of these than relics puts the 'sense of accomplishment' argument down another rung too. I wouldn't pull anymore respect from people if they knew I have two relics decorating mannequins in my moghouse.

Back to the topic again, I wasn't talking about SE going against the grain with FFXI. XI was around too early for the status quo to be developed. XIV on the other hand is reviving the materia system from games past and completely changing it. Something they have tried and failed to do with even the most basic systems in XIV like the battle system, chat and linkshell features and even the user interface and controls.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#79 Jun 07 2011 at 7:13 AM Rating: Decent
****
6,898 posts
FilthMcNasty wrote:
BartelX wrote:
I'll be the first to admit that I was very proud of the gear that I had, because it showed that I was committed to my character and also my LS, and put in my time. The sense of accomplishment I felt when I got those uber pieces of gear was unrivaled to anything I'd ever experienced in gaming prior to this. I don't feel I would be nearly as excited now, since a lot of the gear is not only easier to obtain (heck, people get relics in a matter of months now), but also because it can be fully customized with augments and the like.


I wanted gear more for the sake of performance. It wasn't really for any sense of accomplishment. I got that from downing foes on the battlefield. A Fafhogg that dropped me a ridill or E body was just as exciting to fight as one who didn't have any gear for me. Not to attack your point or anything, but I think it's the 'sense of accomplishment' that hurt XI and the community. Everything had to be incredibly tedious or take ages to complete even if for only a mediocre performance increase to be respected.


Ugh, this is going to sound really condescending and I apologize in advance but, really? Fafhogg was an exciting fight... ever? The only time Fafhogg was an exciting fight for me was when we were low-manning it because it popped at like 3am and we only had 6 people there (in fact, the 6 man Nid was the one that dropped double E. body where I got mine). It took like 59 mins and was incredibly fun and challenging.

Other than that, I never really considered a lot of the fights in that game all that difficult or exciting. Course, it helped that we had some tremendous tanks and support classes there.

To me, the possibility of reward was what made it fun. Granted, I'm not advocating those types of pop HNMs with ridiculous timers, because that was just a ridiculous waste of time. I'm just saying that the end result for me at least was a much stronger sense of fulfillment when I finally DID get those big ticket items.

FilthMcNasty wrote:
Relics don't exactly fall from the sky these days either. It probably takes a bit less time to get a relic, but the effort is probably put to better use getting empyrean weapons. These weapons come along faster, most are better than their relic counterpart and they use current content. The fact that people are completing more of these than relics puts the 'sense of accomplishment' argument down another rung too. I wouldn't pull anymore respect from people if they knew I have two relics decorating mannequins in my moghouse.


Well, from what I understand they are going to be rebuffing relics. But regardless, you kind of proved my point. Nowadays a relic doesn't mean that much. My point was that relics USED to be this almost impossible, godly item. Back before WoTG went into full swing, relics blew away other weapons by a substantial margin. Not all of them mind you, but stuff like mandau, gjallerhorn, aegis, excalibur, apocalypse... at the time they just couldn't be matched by a longshot, and made a massive difference to your performance.

FilthMcNasty wrote:
Back to the topic again, I wasn't talking about SE going against the grain with FFXI. XI was around too early for the status quo to be developed. XIV on the other hand is reviving the materia system from games past and completely changing it. Something they have tried and failed to do with even the most basic systems in XIV like the battle system, chat and linkshell features and even the user interface and controls.


I'm a bit confused here. How are they completely changing it? So far from what I've heard it sounds a lot like many other systems of adding slots to gear. I know WoW wasn't the first to do it, but it's probably the most well-known and what we've heard of materia seems to mirror that in at least some ways. Do you mean changing it from what it was in FFVII? If so, I think that was kind of a given seeing as how insanely overpowered that system would be translated into an MMO.

Perhaps it will be much different, and in this case I actually hope that it is. The problem with FFXIV wasn't that they tried to be different, it was that they tried it and then when people gave them feedback about how to improve it and fix it, they ignored it through alpha and beta and kept the exact same broken system through launch.

Had they actually taken the time to listen to player feedback at early stages, this game would be completely different and much improved. Unfortunately, SE still had that mindset of "we'll do whatever we want and you'll like it because we're SE". Hopefully they've learned their lesson, and at least at present it seems like Yoshi-P understands that and is doing what he can to remedy it.

Edited, Jun 7th 2011 9:19am by BartelX
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#80 Jun 09 2011 at 4:07 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
513 posts
BartelX wrote:

Perhaps it will be much different, and in this case I actually hope that it is. The problem with FFXIV wasn't that they tried to be different, it was that they tried it and then when people gave them feedback about how to improve it and fix it, they ignored it through alpha and beta and kept the exact same broken system through launch.

Had they actually taken the time to listen to player feedback at early stages, this game would be completely different and much improved. Unfortunately, SE still had that mindset of "we'll do whatever we want and you'll like it because we're SE". Hopefully they've learned their lesson, and at least at present it seems like Yoshi-P understands that and is doing what he can to remedy it.

A lot of the design was so bad it should have been apparent without having to actually test it. I think the problem was exactly the fact that they wanted to be different at any cost. Of course there was also the SE arrogance that made them ignore everything testers like me tried to point out during beta. It's like they thought it'd be safe to implement any kind of design because they're SE and everything they do is automatically brilliant.
____________________________
#81maelstrom01, Posted: Jul 20 2013 at 6:09 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) ADD is the keyword. means something is already there...implying a SECOND materia..... reading is fundamental sir
#82 Jul 20 2013 at 8:55 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
970 posts
Obiar wrote:
By using the armor and weapons that you equip yourself with, you will generate "attachment points"* and when your attachment points reach 100% you will be able to convert them into "materia." This is known as "materia conversion." "Materia" is a crystallized form of the weapon and armor’s stats that the player has used and formed an attachment to.

So this part is basically sort of like FFVII right?

Obiar wrote:
Also, you will be able to purchase and trade materia freely.

Good so players can have a market of this and it motivates players to complete content for the good gear conversion.

Obiar wrote:
Crafters will be able to utilize the catalysts that gatherers obtain and attach a single materia to an item (there is no chance of failure). The materia you will be able to attach will depend on the type of weapon and the type of stat that matches the equipment slot. There are a variety of different combinations of materia that can be attached to each equipment slot’s item, so each player will need to decide what they want to pursue.

I think this is good with parameters set. So even if there is a materia build better than all, that combination might not be slottable into the gear that might be a better gear set than all.

Obiar wrote:
In addition to this, you will also be able to remove materia from items that have had materia attached to them. However, upon removal you will lose the materia, so you should probably only remove it when you definitely have a better upgrade to replace it with.

I see this through the lens of gear. Should you be able to give your strongest gear set away without the player you are giving it to advancing through that content? I say no. But we still have sort of an option to do that if we never attach the materia. That's a fair trade I guess.
#83 Jul 20 2013 at 11:31 AM Rating: Default
***
1,004 posts
maybe it's just me, but this sounds almost exactly like the same system that was in 1.0, with the ability to remove materia this time and HQ versions of materia. Not saying this is a bad thing, but in 1.0 adding any more than 1 materia to something lowered the success rate to garbage. 2 was like 25%, then 3 was 5%. If you managed to get 4 or more tier 4 materia onto something...you won the lottery.

And before someone says 5% chance isn't that bad, it's a 25% chance FIRST to put in a second one, THEN a 5% chance to put a third. I know that it should be difficult to get nice gear like this, but for those who played 1.0 some of those materia although common, were expensive as ****.
#84 Jul 20 2013 at 12:08 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
49 posts
This is from over two years ago... just let this one fall back down the thread list.
____________________________
FFXIV ARR Legacy Member
Tenro Matashi - Balmung Server
LS: BASF 2.0
1 2 Next »
This thread is locked
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 20 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (20)