Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2 3
This Forum is Read Only

Why it won't work no matter whatFollow

#1 Jun 12 2011 at 12:22 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
351 posts
We know how it is.

FFXIV started off badly. SE kicked Tanaka to the curb, shoved a unknown at the helm, apologized profusely, and let us play free until the PS3 version comes out to restore our faith that this can truly be the Final Fantasy game it was meant to be.

So here we sit at roughly nine months since the launch that crushed our hopes and dreams. I'm looking around at this sinking Titanic and I can honestly say, nothing SE will do can save this game from the bottom of the ocean floor.

How can I say this with such assurance? I'll tell ya the profound secret: I don't care. I really mean that. I don't care. I should care! But I don't.

My character experienced a compelling opening scene once. Nine months ago. That new software smell still emanating from the box. There was voice acting. There was a giant tree trying to kill me. There were moogles who effortlessly saved my useless ***. And there was the vague sense that in spite of my apparent incompetence, I was chosen to save these people.

If only my character died at that moment, it would have been happy.

Instead I was treated to a story that seemed increasingly shorter on time and budget than grander in scope. Simple quests did a good job of getting my character started, but unfortunately turned out to be standard fare for the whole 50 rank experience. And between a UI that didn't work quite right, to ill-conceived features like the Market Ward when SE invented the MMO-renowned Auction House, to holiday events that used the same decorations every month (I'm glad they finally stopped doing that), to a graphic engine that's apparently flawed even on a premium computer, to cut-and-paste environments that mar what should be spectacular views, any sense of wonder and expectation was choked to death a long time ago.

Sure, Yoshi-P is going to revamp the battle system and offer some new jobs with materia-laced armor and weapons, but I find myself not caring. I have no reason to fight. I just don't care if my character does anything anymore.

The context for why we're supposed to be there has long been clouded, and the awe and desire for adventure that comes with a new game can't ever be recaptured. No "Golden Patch" or expansion pack is ever going to fix that.

The original ambition of FFXIV was to focus on the story, the thing that carried all Final Fantasy games. But, it doesn't matter how great your Chapter 2 is if you've lost all your readers at Chapter 1.
#2 Jun 12 2011 at 12:39 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
Miracle Patch!!! >_< lol
____________________________


"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
#3 Jun 12 2011 at 12:55 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
Avatar
**
560 posts
You are right. I continue to play because I enjoy playing with the people im playing with but truth be told we could be playing WoW,aion,rift,warhammer,age of conan or any other game and it would be the same or **** maybe a better experience.

This game is a piece of ****. I play this piece of **** daily but still it is a piece of ****. The storyline is ****. The UI is ****. The ways we are given to advance our characters are ****. The market wards are ****. Crafting is as boring as ****. The chat window is ****. The party seek feature is ****. the nonexistant travel modes make traveling ****. The current battle system is ****.Pretty much EVERYTHING is ****.

I do like chatting with my LS friends tho.


There used to be 100 white knights that showed up to defend the potential of this game almost all of them are even gone now. FFXIV is dead. Long live FFXIV.
____________________________


#4 Jun 12 2011 at 2:04 PM Rating: Excellent
**
266 posts
I'm starting to feel the same way myself, they're going to have to pull off something huge to reel back in players.
#5 Jun 12 2011 at 2:16 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
tpgsoldier wrote:
You are right. I continue to play because I enjoy playing with the people im playing with but truth be told we could be playing WoW,aion,rift,warhammer,age of conan or any other game and it would be the same or **** maybe a better experience.

This game is a piece of ****. I play this piece of **** daily but still it is a piece of ****. The storyline is ****. The UI is ****. The ways we are given to advance our characters are ****. The market wards are ****. Crafting is as boring as ****. The chat window is ****. The party seek feature is ****. the nonexistant travel modes make traveling ****. The current battle system is ****.Pretty much EVERYTHING is ****.

I do like chatting with my LS friends tho.


There used to be 100 white knights that showed up to defend the potential of this game almost all of them are even gone now. FFXIV is dead. Long live FFXIV.


I hope this patch helps things out. It would be such a shame if this game didn't make a 180
I hope that you can be proven wrong though, but I will say, I am very worried you and others could be right... Very worried. :/
It would be such a shame to let such a graphically beautiful game go down the toilet :/
____________________________


"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
#6 Jun 12 2011 at 2:37 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
437 posts
9 months... we should be further than we are. And in a week or so if the coming 'big' patch fails to deliver I'm sure there will be hoards to join your view if there isnt already.

But one thing I know... It'll never hit the ocean floor. I can see myself here for years. The game will improve, perhaps not at the pace a lot of people want but to the newcomer and the ps3 hoards the will arrive in a new game, fixed and faults erased. SE may have broken many hearts but I have no doubt will win many new ones.

However, I think, or hope, most will wait that little bit longer to see 1.18 if it is the so called miracle patch or not. I expect more of a slow and steady progress...
____________________________

Metin - Phoenix - BLM75 WHM48 Retired

http://cojenova.enjin.com/ff14forum

#7 Jun 12 2011 at 3:17 PM Rating: Excellent
*
108 posts
Quote:
I expect more of a slow and steady progress...


Most other players want it BIG and want it NOW or they are going to quit. So does SE, because slow progress is not going to get them a monthly income on this game. It has to be great RIGHT NOW, or somebody in corporate is going to be shot for the daily dumping of money and potential income down the toilet.

I just reached the early rank 30s ugh ... mark where I don't have many class or main storyline quests to look forward to, which is why I keep grinding. I hear the final class and storyline quests are pretty lame anyways, not challenging at all. I've bought everything I want. Gil no longer motivates me. I have enough guild marks to get all the skills I want, so not even leves with guild mark rewards motivate me.

I would go kill some NMs and get the fancy new stuff for my rank 30..... but everybody and their mom is wearing kookoroon's dark shell mail, a penance belt, and swinging a flametongue. Because The NM's Pop every 5 minutes! No motivation there, it's not hard to get, and the stuff I buy in the wards with my gads of money looks better and is just about as good as the "rare" stuff anyways.

I'd wager my Iron Spatha +2 is harder to find than a flametongue or frostbite.

Grinding is fine by me as long as there is motivation. There's none left. wah! wah! wah!
Golden patch now, or take this suffering dying dog of a game behind the woodshed shoot it, and get a new puppy. start over kthx
____________________________


#8 Jun 12 2011 at 3:57 PM Rating: Good
*
200 posts
...i didn't want to see XIV fall flat like it has, but the patches are coming to slow and are to mundane. at the current pace, the moment SWTOR hits stores 80% of FFXIV's American and UK Player base are going to be gone. we early adopters shouldn't be really surprised by this we had known before we pre-purchased it, that the FF series has been on a downward spiral since FF11, crappy music,crappy gamplay,crappy story. what made us think this was going to be any better.
#9 Jun 12 2011 at 4:19 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
*
66 posts
It's true, this game had so many whiteknights a couple months ago... Now almost everyone can agree what a piece of **** this game is. WTG SE, WTFG.
#10 Jun 12 2011 at 4:26 PM Rating: Decent
If you notice my FFXIV signature listing my class ranks, you will notice that I have held back extensively. For exactly the reason the OP is tired with FFXIV...I knew that if I went as far as some have I would feel the same way. Fortunately, between spending my time helping others, and playing other games, I have not experienced the same feeling. While I have been through extensive repetitive crafting, it doesn't really bother me so much, because I was used to it from FFXI...I have held off on ranking up my DoW/M classes until the battle system updates begin. I knew they would come the first week I played, and so purposely, and patiently (sort of) waited. With them looming on the horizon, I look forward to my journey to Rank 50 on whichever DoW/M class I choose to take up there first.

Will it have been worth the wait? We will see...but I am guessing yes. I will experience the battle system in its new found glory and appreciate it that much more, or will be disappointed for the "first" time (so-to-speak).

I wish others had done the same, and maybe some have, because I can understand completely what it must feel like to have suffered through the current system to the extent some have. Here's to the future, for those who wish to stick around to see the dawning of what hopes to be the true nature of FFXIV.
____________________________
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
Data Center: Primal; Server: Ultros; Free Company: The Kraken Club; Grand Company: The Maelstrom; Chocobo: Kweh
#11 Jun 12 2011 at 4:30 PM Rating: Default
**
967 posts
Won't really matter how long the miracle patch takes. The people who have quit now will return once it's patched, they can say they have quit, but imho, you don't quit a paid game that has it's sub on hold until you see what the chargable version is like.

People can spout as much heroic hot air about how they will never return, but they will, once the patch lands.

The thing that SE have on their side is time, as it doesn't matter how long it takes, they know people will try out the new patch, even if it's in a year from now.

Tell me otherwise.
____________________________
My FFXIV Blog

#12 Jun 12 2011 at 4:55 PM Rating: Default
clarkeyboy wrote:
Won't really matter how long the miracle patch takes. The people who have quit now will return once it's patched, they can say they have quit, but imho, you don't quit a paid game that has it's sub on hold until you see what the chargable version is like.

People can spout as much heroic hot air about how they will never return, but they will, once the patch lands.

The thing that SE have on their side is time, as it doesn't matter how long it takes, they know people will try out the new patch, even if it's in a year from now.

Tell me otherwise.


I am apt to agree...while there may be a few who really will never come back, I imagine even some of the most displeased gamers will pop back in before subscriptions are started up again just to take one last peek to see if it is worth their time/money to return.
____________________________
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
Data Center: Primal; Server: Ultros; Free Company: The Kraken Club; Grand Company: The Maelstrom; Chocobo: Kweh
#13 Jun 12 2011 at 5:02 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
283 posts
clarkeyboy wrote:
Won't really matter how long the miracle patch takes. The people who have quit now will return once it's patched, they can say they have quit, but imho, you don't quit a paid game that has it's sub on hold until you see what the chargable version is like.

People can spout as much heroic hot air about how they will never return, but they will, once the patch lands.

The thing that SE have on their side is time, as it doesn't matter how long it takes, they know people will try out the new patch, even if it's in a year from now.

Tell me otherwise.


Not true at all. People said the same thing about Aion EQ2 War and many other MMOs. A lot of people who quit FFXIV are gone. They have moved on to biger better games that they now have time and $$ invested in. They may be getting ready for the new Starwars game or moved back into WoW. It will take one **** of a BIG patch to make anyone look back at this game. And a **** of a lot more to get them to come back.

SE had a chance to turn things around. But the sad fact is they let more time than they had pass by. The only hope they really have with this game is making it pay for its self. FFXIV will never be a WoW or EQ now.
#14 Jun 12 2011 at 5:20 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
*
66 posts
clarkeyboy wrote:
Won't really matter how long the miracle patch takes. The people who have quit now will return once it's patched, they can say they have quit, but imho, you don't quit a paid game that has it's sub on hold until you see what the chargable version is like.

People can spout as much heroic hot air about how they will never return, but they will, once the patch lands.

The thing that SE have on their side is time, as it doesn't matter how long it takes, they know people will try out the new patch, even if it's in a year from now.

Tell me otherwise.


Unfortunlately I don't think this is true either... It's only true in the event that the person who quit is looking for a reason to come back. If they're having a great time on some other new/pre-existing MMO that doesn't suck, they have no reason at all to bat an eye at FFXIV, especially because of their previous experience. I think it's propbable the majority of lost players will fall into this category.
There will, of course, be those people (like most of us on this forum) that will in a sense wait for something worthwhile in FFXIV that may or may not ever happen. But sadly the truth is, we're one **** of a minority.
#15 Jun 12 2011 at 5:51 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
**
560 posts
LillithaFenimore wrote:
tpgsoldier wrote:
You are right. I continue to play because I enjoy playing with the people im playing with but truth be told we could be playing WoW,aion,rift,warhammer,age of conan or any other game and it would be the same or **** maybe a better experience.

This game is a piece of ****. I play this piece of **** daily but still it is a piece of ****. The storyline is ****. The UI is ****. The ways we are given to advance our characters are ****. The market wards are ****. Crafting is as boring as ****. The chat window is ****. The party seek feature is ****. the nonexistant travel modes make traveling ****. The current battle system is ****.Pretty much EVERYTHING is ****.

I do like chatting with my LS friends tho.


There used to be 100 white knights that showed up to defend the potential of this game almost all of them are even gone now. FFXIV is dead. Long live FFXIV.


I hope this patch helps things out. It would be such a shame if this game didn't make a 180
I hope that you can be proven wrong though, but I will say, I am very worried you and others could be right... Very worried. :/
It would be such a shame to let such a graphically beautiful game go down the toilet :/


I want to be wrong, I still play this game faithfully every day.
____________________________


#16 Jun 12 2011 at 6:07 PM Rating: Good
***
1,949 posts
ForceOFMeh wrote:
Why it won't work no matter what

Actually, I have a pretty clear list of how to make it work, so it's not "no matter what". I just gave up most of my hopes because Square are addressing and trying to fix things that aren't broken instead of spending time working on what is. Come on, autoattack is "annoying" because you can't chat, but it's far from the game's biggest issue at the moment. Even if they add a perfect auto-attack with various attack speed and damage on weapons, which isn't for this month according to the battle-planner, it will still suck to only play 8 combat leve every day and a half. Chatting during those leves won't instantly make the game a blast.

Sadly, I don't think Yoshida-P and team care about my analysis and bullet point list of To-Do to make XIV a better game; they have their own guy/guys paid to do that, it's not me. I can only hope that eventually the game will change from what it is now to what those guys have in mind, and maybe if we're lucky, we can all say if it's good.

Right now, reading the letters and official forum posts, I get the feeling they're completely off target. Who knows, they might actually have a vision that will please everyone, in the end -- I'm just not seeing it.
____________________________
FFXIV: Cloe Delisle Scholar, officer of the SWAGGER Free company, Sargatanas server.
#17 Jun 12 2011 at 7:04 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
2,801 posts
I don't know what happened to SE. All I know for certain is that this is not the same company it used to be. SE seems out of touch with what gamers want. If you don't give consumers what they want, they'll go elsewhere.

I'm hoping that SE realizes that tossing "Final Fantasy" on to the title of the game isn't going to be enough to sell a sub-par game. The sooner this happens, the more likely it is that they don't go under.

"Go under"? Yeah. FFXIII sold pretty poorly. FFXIII-2 is going to sell even worse as people that got suckered into buying FXIII aren't going to touch it. FFXIV has a lot of problems. Even if all of them get fixed, a lot of players will have already moved on with a sour taste in their mouths. Unless SE pulls out a miracle in the next five or so years, I strongly suspect they'll be bought out by someone.
____________________________
WoW -- Zaia -- Dragonmaw -- Mage 80 BABY! Alchemy 450
Also... Hunter 62, Rogue 52, Warrior 66, Warlock 43, Death Knight 70, Shaman Who Cares? ;)

FFXI -- Caia -- Retired/Deleted -- Blm 75, Alchemy 97
Pandimonium server - Rank 10 - Bastok

Zaela Rdm -- 35, Alchemy 45 -- Forced into retirement because I didn't have the right kind of credit card. Hope it was worth 18 bucks a month, SE.

#18 Jun 12 2011 at 7:06 PM Rating: Good
***
3,530 posts
Sethern79 wrote:
A lot of people who quit FFXIV are gone. They have moved on to biger better games that they now have time and $$ invested in. They may be getting ready for the new Starwars game or moved back into WoW.


People do eventually quit MMOs, you know. It's not like every player who throws up their hands in frustration at FFXIV and goes to WoW is going to be playing WoW for the next ten years. Most MMOs (especially WoW) are very casually oriented these days; I would be surprised if it took a new player more than three months to go from level 1 with nothing to level 85 with good gear and maxed crafts in WoW, for example - and there's only so many times you can remake and plow through it again.

In short, MMOs don't hold most players for life. If SE takes a year to fix FFXIV, and if former players are bored a year from now, then FFXIV will be a pretty attractive game - they did buy it in the first place, after all.
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#19 Jun 12 2011 at 7:24 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
283 posts
KaneKitty wrote:
Sethern79 wrote:
A lot of people who quit FFXIV are gone. They have moved on to biger better games that they now have time and $$ invested in. They may be getting ready for the new Starwars game or moved back into WoW.


People do eventually quit MMOs, you know. It's not like every player who throws up their hands in frustration at FFXIV and goes to WoW is going to be playing WoW for the next ten years. Most MMOs (especially WoW) are very casually oriented these days; I would be surprised if it took a new player more than three months to go from level 1 with nothing to level 85 with good gear and maxed crafts in WoW, for example - and there's only so many times you can remake and plow through it again.

In short, MMOs don't hold most players for life. If SE takes a year to fix FFXIV, and if former players are bored a year from now, then FFXIV will be a pretty attractive game - they did buy it in the first place, after all.


And when they do and new MMOs are out that have better reviews. They have friends and guild mates talking about how grate say Star Wars The Old Republic is or Rift. What game are they going to look at? FFXIV that they have already had a bad experience with and quit? Or the new game that friends and guild mates are playing and talking up?

I am sorry but anyone who thinks that everyone who quit FFXIV or just a good bit of the people who have quit are going to just come running back when SE finaly gets its **** together are kiding them self.
#20 Jun 12 2011 at 8:17 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,177 posts
FFXIV has a pretty unique case going for it, as they have one more chance for PS3 release to get it right.


Optimistic Me:


Final Fantasy is a pretty big brand name, of course the perception of it has fallen, but you know XIV will get big press regardless when they announce a release date for the PS3 and the time coming up to said release.

Someone in another thread recently asked if Famitsu got a hold of reviewing XIV yet. As they do not review PC games, a good score from the PS3 will help them greatly among Japanese and hardcore gamers. Couple that together with a welcome back campaign, give away some free items for coming back, introduce a better buddy pass/payment system. And good words will spread around.

If a game is fun, people will play. XIV isn't fun right now, people will not play.


Pessimistic Me:


Gamers are a very unforgiving bunch. If a game is not fun, it takes a **** of a lot of enticing to give someone a second chance. The old XIV development team had this very arrogant "they will play no matter what we do" attitude.
XIV wasn't the first case of this, only the most prominent one. I don't fault just the development team for this attitude, it goes back to Square Enix trying to release things as early as possible to get their revenue. If anything, the XIII/Versus XIII team are getting it right and delay games for up to a half of decade to get it smooth and perfect in their vision.

Anyway, the XI/XIV development team. They've actually been releasing things unfinished for the past half-decade. XI:

Treasures of Aht Urhgan was released with missing AF for the new jobs, 8 missions that were just cutscenes and the first three missions of Assault, and a very broken Besieged. that's about it. There was no Salvage for the first two years, no Einherjar for the first two years, and didn't even have a finished Alzadaal Undersea Ruins for the first year.

Wings of the Goddess: only the outdoor zones were available, 3 whole missions, none of the areas in the trailer were opened, and they released even two more jobs when the jobs from the previous expansion didn't even have endgame/AF gear yet.

The new XIV team needs to go back to releasing quality stuff, even if it means delaying as long as possible. If the new team was in charge of XIV in the first place, I doubt we would have seen an initial release until next year. Part of me is very impatient and want the new release now and thinking of quitting, but the other part of me knows rushing it is what got them in this mess in the first place.



Edited, Jun 12th 2011 7:20pm by UltKnightGrover

Edited, Jun 12th 2011 7:21pm by UltKnightGrover
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#21 Jun 12 2011 at 8:27 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
*
157 posts
You might be right, but Im still hoping your not. Been waiting 10 years for D3. I can wait a little longer for FFxiv at this point.
#22 Jun 12 2011 at 8:40 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
*
233 posts
Reactivated my FFXI content ID today...My lvl 75 seems so weak now when I see all this lvl 80+ gear. I think I might enjoy finishing everything I didn't finish. Won't play FFXIV until this forum comes back to life with people excited and happy.
#23 Jun 12 2011 at 9:16 PM Rating: Default
*****
16,959 posts
Ah, brings back memories of the olde threads on this subject.
____________________________
MyAnimeList FFXIV Krystal Spoonless
#24 Jun 12 2011 at 9:35 PM Rating: Decent
7 posts
I am back to playing FFXI as well and so far, it has been really fun. It got me to thinking that while on paper, people vehemently protest against releasing a FFXI-2; if FFXIV had been a FFXI with a better graphics engine, a new storyline, and improvements such as better map functionality as well as the additional leve system, the developers would have a lot more time to work on adding more quests, incorporating more dungeons and adding more casual and hardcore players elements to make the game even better as compared to still working on basic game elements such as the battle system. In all honesty I feel that more people would have been attracted to play this version of FFXIV than the current version.

Now they have to rework the entire system from the bottom up, and it's really no surprise that improvements are taking so long to trickle in. I don't think it would make sense if we claim that we are still supporting FFXIV and on forums we bash the developers for skiving. Because if you think about it, this is a make-or-break moment for not just FFXIV, but for Yoshi-P and the development team as well. I know I will be coming back to FFXIV when it gets better; I continue to read the forums for news and updates every day, and I will continue to support Yoshi and his team of developers until they prove that they are really incompetent. I hope the majority of you guys will continue to support them as well, because it's tough being in the position they are in; what with having to face immense deadline pressures from upper management and getting flak from players who continue to voluntarily put time into this game but claim it's a horrible game.

Do yourself a favor; if it's not fun, don't play it, at least not just yet.
#25 Jun 12 2011 at 9:55 PM Rating: Good
***
1,636 posts
clarkeyboy wrote:
Won't really matter how long the miracle patch takes. The people who have quit now will return once it's patched, they can say they have quit, but imho, you don't quit a paid game that has it's sub on hold until you see what the chargable version is like.

People can spout as much heroic hot air about how they will never return, but they will, once the patch lands.

The thing that SE have on their side is time, as it doesn't matter how long it takes, they know people will try out the new patch, even if it's in a year from now.

Tell me otherwise.


You have a point in that the cost of reentry is essentially zero, just a few hours to patch up and check things out. Everyone has the opportunity to check out the game once they've declared its 'done' and ready. However, I can think of several reasons why someone would choose not to do so. Maybe hooked on another game, or another hobby entirely. Maybe they are so full of spite for SE they boycott anyways. I know I bought an MMO to start playing fall 2010, I may not want to effectively start one winter 2011/2012.

Caia wrote:

"Go under"? Yeah. FFXIII sold pretty poorly. FFXIII-2 is going to sell even worse as people that got suckered into buying FXIII aren't going to touch it. FFXIV has a lot of problems. Even if all of them get fixed, a lot of players will have already moved on with a sour taste in their mouths. Unless SE pulls out a miracle in the next five or so years, I strongly suspect they'll be bought out by someone.


I just have to say, seriously this again? FFXIII sold very well. It sold about as same amount copies as any other FF titles, around 6 mil. Thats pretty good industry wide. FFXIII-2 seems to be drumming up a good amount of interest with its E3 showing aswell. Yes I get it, there is a very loud group of people on the internet who hate it and will tell anyone who will listen why, but really we have no idea how many people that is, and I think its pretty foolish to assume its the vast majority.
____________________________


#26 Jun 12 2011 at 10:12 PM Rating: Good
**
557 posts
The development team has consistently demonstrated they are not capable of nor are they interested in making changes on the sort of scale this game needs.

It needs a massive overhaul, and nothing less. They offer minor tweaks. Some months have more minor tweaks than others. Not one of the patches has shown willingness of the developers to make the changes that are required.

Unless there is some super secret expansion pack they're all working on (in which case people _will_ come back), the game won't be improved enough to generate enough revenue to keep it alive. It will be phased out and replaced by a new MMO.
____________________________


#27 Jun 12 2011 at 11:20 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
2,801 posts
Quote:
I just have to say, seriously this again? FFXIII sold very well. It sold about as same amount copies as any other FF titles, around 6 mil. Thats pretty good industry wide. FFXIII-2 seems to be drumming up a good amount of interest with its E3 showing aswell. Yes I get it, there is a very loud group of people on the internet who hate it and will tell anyone who will listen why, but really we have no idea how many people that is, and I think its pretty foolish to assume its the vast majority.


Yeah, but you leave out a few facts. It sold 6.3 million copies on two consoles. If it was as popular as prior games had been, we'd expect for it to sell many more copies than that. In terms of market penetration, it did very poorly when compared with past FF titles.

Many people that bought FF13 (myself included) hoped that the reviews had been off base. Those that ended up getting it and not liking it will NOT pick up a direct sequel. Now that may or may not be a "majority" of the players. Even if its ten percent (and I think I'm low balling that considerably), that works out to about 5.67 million copies for FF13-2. Enough to make a sizable profit, sure. But let's not forget that SE is literally bleeding money at this point because of FFXIV.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/05/12/square_enix_earnings_revision/

Quote:
Square Enix announced revised earnings expectations today. The company says that it will incur a net loss of 12,000 million yen for the previous fiscal year. Its previous forecast from February 3 listed a modest net profit of 1,000 million yen.


Does that really strike you as a company that's doing well? The bottom line is that SE's bottom line isn't doing so well. They either need to make FFXIV profitable soon or hope FFXIII-2 somehow makes a lot of money. The former is unlikely to happen soon. (If at all -- if they start charging and the game is still in a state which doesn't appeal to gamers, they'll just leave. If they wait until the game is "done" that might be too late.) And after FF13 and 14, a lot (maybe not a majority, but a lot) just aren't going to come back to the franchise.

So, yeah, I think SE is in some serious financial trouble. It might not become apparent this year or next, but if they fail to make a blockbuster to recoup some of their losses, SE could very well go bankrupt. Or more likely be bought out.

But don't take my word for it...

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/05/13/square_enix_earnings/

and

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/05/13/square_enix_more_ips/

Edited, Jun 13th 2011 1:55am by Caia
____________________________
WoW -- Zaia -- Dragonmaw -- Mage 80 BABY! Alchemy 450
Also... Hunter 62, Rogue 52, Warrior 66, Warlock 43, Death Knight 70, Shaman Who Cares? ;)

FFXI -- Caia -- Retired/Deleted -- Blm 75, Alchemy 97
Pandimonium server - Rank 10 - Bastok

Zaela Rdm -- 35, Alchemy 45 -- Forced into retirement because I didn't have the right kind of credit card. Hope it was worth 18 bucks a month, SE.

#28 Jun 12 2011 at 11:46 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,530 posts
Kirby the Eccentric wrote:
Ah, brings back memories of the olde threads on this subject.


Ha, I like that: four months ago the OP of that thread was losing confidence in SE, and he mentioned auto-attack like it was just around the corner! Oh, SE, the only times you exceed our expectations is when those expectations involve the amount of disappointment we see on the horizon... yes, you always go above and beyond with regard to disappointment...
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#29 Jun 13 2011 at 1:32 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
351 posts
Docent42 wrote:
ForceOFMeh wrote:
Why it won't work no matter what

Actually, I have a pretty clear list of how to make it work, so it's not "no matter what"


Here's why I say "no matter what." Let's say you do happen to have the perfect list of fixes that will make the game the way it should be and it gets implemented, by some miracle, tomorrow.

So, SE goes, "Great! It's perfect! We'll give you one more free month, tell all your friends it's perfect, and we'll start charging monthly fees, because **** it, we need some money rolling in already."

First, there's the "cry wolf" syndrome. How many times have people been asked to trust that this game will get better soon by both fans and SE alike, only to be disappointed repeatedly. Even if FFXIV were perfect tomorrow, is that a pill anyone would readily swallow, especially if they have to pay for that pill?

Second, there are the disenfranchised. In spite of how bad it may have been, some people did get attached to the convoluted old ways of FFXIV that will have been overhauled, even if it's for the best. Their character's relevancy may have been altered, or how they are expected to play will have changed. Even in a game where everything works well, their world as they knew it will have been shattered and they won't feel like going on. Want a good comparison? See how Abyssea altered FFXI, or Cataclysm altered WoW. There are quite a few people who are disappointed with the sweeping changes in priority those expansions made.

Third, there's the issue of money. There's no question a lot more people would have left FFXIV if it weren't for the fact the subscription fee is currently waived. Once that free playground is taken away, there's naturally going to be an exodus of those who really don't want to sink any more money into this game no matter how sweet smelling it ends up being.

And finally, there's the negative reputation. Even someone who never played the PC version and waited patiently for the PS3 release is going to hear about the tons of negative reviews FFXIV has suffered through on the internet-that-won't-forget. An updated review for the PS3 is naturally going to have to begin with "it sucked before, but now it's much better," so it's never going to shed the negativity from which it emerged from.

And there's the rub. FFXIV has been astoundingly frustrating, and that's terrible thing for game to try recovering from. There are so many other games out there with promise like Tera, or SW:Tor, or GW2. There's nothing but excitement over the potential of these games, like an unwrapped Christmas present. No one's feeling sorrow over could have been with GW2; right now it's all good. It's all new. It's all smiles. FFXIV can't ever get that feeling back; you only get that one chance to get it right.

Instead, FFXIV has bad memories. Dashed hopes. Prolonged waiting. They could make it the best ever, and you're still holding that hurt with you, suspicious that SE will pull the rug from under you one more time. I think for most people something else will come along and capture their imagination, where the story of their character isn't marred by overly ambitious deadlines, technical difficulties, and system overhauls.
#30 Jun 13 2011 at 1:47 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,045 posts
A funy aspect of this is that most that quit FFXIV freeplay will go play and pay for a FFXI sub, to Square right now this is the best possible outcome lol
____________________________
BANNED
#31 Jun 13 2011 at 2:00 AM Rating: Excellent
*
138 posts
Every time I post a trollish rant about how **** this game is, yoshi releases a new statement on lodestone to keep me hanging on a bit longer.

Happy Monday, here's praying.

I agree with the Op though. I don't care about my stupid bored old highlander. He's an idiot, spends all day killing rats or doing the same thing every 30 mins. I'm levelling with rain man.

The only thing I care about is my credit card bill after I spent so much money doing my bloody pc up.

Yoshi, deliver us from evil mate. Send us a new patch update today with details on the battle system and 5 new zones. Please!
#32 Jun 13 2011 at 2:22 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
136 posts
I think grinding in FFXIV doesn't feel like a whole ton of work. It rewards consistency over hardcore playing. IMHO the leve and behest system function really well together, and everyone is always around camps together so its a pretty passively social experience. I think the game lacks a lot of stuff to do but I have to give the game credit, it blows and yet i still have no problem logging in every day and doing a handful of behests.

I'm pleased with SE's truly fundamentally different approach to grinding and i think yoshi-p's plans to expand the game horizontally before they start expanding vertically is a wise decision.

I'll agree right now its a horrible game, but i don't think its that unrealistic to think that in 2 or 3 years FFXIV's population will pass that of FFXI. MMO's succeed mostly on how much depth they have, hence why WOW was able to gain a snowballing lead over the competition. SE has the resources to make FFXIV a deeper game then all of its competitors except for WOW, and the FF series still appeals to its niche thats slightly out of WOW's overreaching net. Guild Wars is FFXIV's main competitor and if you've played GW1 its more of a pc game/mmo hybrid then the full fledged exploration based gameplay that WOW and FFXI were initially built around.

case and point, i don't think FFXIV will die, but I also don't think FFXIV will ever raise the bar for MMO's the way WOW did. I'll be pleased if FFXIV can deliver a semi-causal MMO that feels like an FF game and that i can continue to play on and off for a few years in between gaming luls.
#33 Jun 13 2011 at 2:50 AM Rating: Default
*
138 posts
Quote:
I think grinding in FFXIV doesn't feel like a whole ton of work.


You're drunk, right?
#34 Jun 13 2011 at 3:39 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
2,801 posts
KuroGawatwo wrote:
Quote:
I think grinding in FFXIV doesn't feel like a whole ton of work.


You're drunk, right?


Doubt it. He sounds like one of the few people that the game's core mechanics appeal to. Its his opinion and he's free to have it, even if you don't agree.
____________________________
WoW -- Zaia -- Dragonmaw -- Mage 80 BABY! Alchemy 450
Also... Hunter 62, Rogue 52, Warrior 66, Warlock 43, Death Knight 70, Shaman Who Cares? ;)

FFXI -- Caia -- Retired/Deleted -- Blm 75, Alchemy 97
Pandimonium server - Rank 10 - Bastok

Zaela Rdm -- 35, Alchemy 45 -- Forced into retirement because I didn't have the right kind of credit card. Hope it was worth 18 bucks a month, SE.

#35 Jun 13 2011 at 5:02 AM Rating: Excellent
****
4,150 posts
clarkeyboy wrote:
Won't really matter how long the miracle patch takes. The people who have quit now will return once it's patched, they can say they have quit, but imho, you don't quit a paid game that has it's sub on hold until you see what the chargable version is like.


You're late. Please stop trolling.

Do you really expect that people who have left FFXIV are just sitting around on their hands waiting for SE to pull their s#!t together? Gamers play games. If they left XIV then they are probably playing something else. Whatever that is probably had a better launch, has improved faster than XIV has(comparatively) day-to-day and will be exponentially better by [insert miracle patch date of your choice here]. If you left XIV to play one of these games, you're probably not going to return unless you're a diehard FF fan. Then again, if you're a diehard FF fan, you probably wouldn't have left in the first place.

Your optimism is treading dangerously close to to ignorance Clarkey. Try being realistic and people might take your opinion a bit more seriously.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#36 Jun 13 2011 at 6:10 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
Wow. Aion just got a graphics update. Now it beats FFXIV even in that section.
I don't say the game is good (it isn't), but at least those guys seem to be working.
#37 Jun 13 2011 at 6:38 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
KenJammin wrote:
I think grinding in FFXIV doesn't feel like a whole ton of work. It rewards consistency over hardcore playing. IMHO the leve and behest system function really well together, and everyone is always around camps together so its a pretty passively social experience. I think the game lacks a lot of stuff to do but I have to give the game credit, it blows and yet i still have no problem logging in every day and doing a handful of behests.

I'm pleased with SE's truly fundamentally different approach to grinding and i think yoshi-p's plans to expand the game horizontally before they start expanding vertically is a wise decision.

I'll agree right now its a horrible game, but i don't think its that unrealistic to think that in 2 or 3 years FFXIV's population will pass that of FFXI. MMO's succeed mostly on how much depth they have, hence why WOW was able to gain a snowballing lead over the competition. SE has the resources to make FFXIV a deeper game then all of its competitors except for WOW, and the FF series still appeals to its niche thats slightly out of WOW's overreaching net. Guild Wars is FFXIV's main competitor and if you've played GW1 its more of a pc game/mmo hybrid then the full fledged exploration based gameplay that WOW and FFXI were initially built around.

case and point, i don't think FFXIV will die, but I also don't think FFXIV will ever raise the bar for MMO's the way WOW did. I'll be pleased if FFXIV can deliver a semi-causal MMO that feels like an FF game and that i can continue to play on and off for a few years in between gaming luls.



Yeah I'll have to agree with this. I do want there to be a party aspect for those who wish to take part in tactical battles, but at the same time, maintaining a way for solo play. This is going to be so hard for SE to balance I think.
____________________________


"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
#38 Jun 13 2011 at 6:40 AM Rating: Default
*
138 posts
Quote:
Its his opinion and he's free to have it, even if you don't agree.


Thanks for clearing that up for me. I don't think I could have made it through life without your wisdom and advice.

Seriously, this is a ZAM forum. People winding each other up about their opposite opinions is what makes it all worth reading.

Are you this serious in real life?
#39 Jun 13 2011 at 6:49 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
1,707 posts
I started playing FFXI again after nearly 2 years. It is amazing how a couple of expansions can change a game so drastically. Obviously the same could be done for FFXIV. Keep in mind they are going to get something like a free pass by marketing a "re-release" at some point. If the can change the game on a magnitude similar to how abyssea changed FFXI (not that anything was wrong with ffxi), then they stand a fighting change.

The only thing I don't understand is how content flows so quickly for other games (even ffxi) yet FFXIV unfolds at a seemingly stagnant pace. I guess it has to do with the fact that the core of the game was never ready for release, but its still shocking how slow it has evolved in nearly a year.

I know there is a tone of optimism in my initial paragraph. I want to qualify that by saying I still don't give ffxiv much of a chance because of the competition that will be released between now and then. If GW2 flops, then FFVIX might get some renewed hope later in the year.

#40 Jun 13 2011 at 7:04 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
Quote:
The only thing I don't understand is how content flows so quickly for other games (even ffxi) yet FFXIV unfolds at a seemingly stagnant pace. I guess it has to do with the fact that the core of the game was never ready for release, but its still shocking how slow it has evolved in nearly a year.


Yes, there is a tiny bit of hope that there are actually good, convincing reasons for the ridiculously long delay.
Not that I would believe it, though.
#41 Jun 13 2011 at 7:14 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
560 posts
Rinsui wrote:
Quote:
The only thing I don't understand is how content flows so quickly for other games (even ffxi) yet FFXIV unfolds at a seemingly stagnant pace. I guess it has to do with the fact that the core of the game was never ready for release, but its still shocking how slow it has evolved in nearly a year.


Yes, there is a tiny bit of hope that there are actually good, convincing reasons for the ridiculously long delay.
Not that I would believe it, though.


Its sad to say but EVEN the producers letters are being delayed now.
____________________________


#42 Jun 13 2011 at 8:04 AM Rating: Good
***
1,636 posts
Caia wrote:

Yeah, but you leave out a few facts. It sold 6.3 million copies on two consoles. If it was as popular as prior games had been, we'd expect for it to sell many more copies than that. In terms of market penetration, it did very poorly when compared with past FF titles.



The problem with the first part, is we really don't have any up to date information on what to expect in regards to sales on two consoles. This is the first time they've released a major FF title on multiple platforms. Its possible to think that 2 platforms should sell something like 1.25 to 1.75x more copies than just one platform would, but really who knows. I'm sure SE did some kind of market analysis on the topic, but they didn't release their findings (nor should they have). What we do know, is that they sold more this way than had they only sold on PS3. However, there are plenty of other confounding factors, they've only really had 2 FF releases in the past 10 years (opposed to every year or two), or gaming is shifting to more action oriented games all around, even rpgs. Because of all this, I just look at the simplest facts. They moved 6 mil + change copies of the game, and that should make any developer happy.

Quote:
Many people that bought FF13 (myself included) hoped that the reviews had been off base. Those that ended up getting it and not liking it will NOT pick up a direct sequel. Now that may or may not be a "majority" of the players. Even if its ten percent (and I think I'm low balling that considerably), that works out to about 5.67 million copies for FF13-2. Enough to make a sizable profit, sure. But let's not forget that SE is literally bleeding money at this point because of FFXIV.


Now on this topic, I agree with you 100%. They really, really seemed to have offended some of the older FF fans to the point where they could wash their hands of the entire franchise. However, if they continue to release pretty, easily accessible RPGs in the future, they could manage to actually replace each lost customer new ones.

I know FFXIII had a bunch of problems, It didn't do as well as they probably would have hoped, and the series will need improvements to start trending back upwards. I just have this huge pet peeve now when people baselessly pretend the game was this huge financial and critical flop not just without evidence, but in spite of it.

The bleeding money thing, I am not all that sure about though. I'll admit that SE's books don't look great right now, and FFXIV pretty much killed their financial year, which hurt their stocks etc. But in terms of what SE was worth at the time, they aren't really at risk of going bankrupt. What I think will happen, is their next game will sell about as well their stuff usually does, you'll see numbers go back to what we're used to, and looking back in a few years, people will see the huge dip with a little * next to it basically explaining 2010-2011.


ADDED: more on topic response.

I am tend to agree with the OP at this point, that its not going to work. I'll have a much stronger opinion in a few weeks once the patch is out, but it really does feel that they are not capable of creating an MMO that is successful in today's market. I look at the changes that are supposed to be coming out, and I can see what games they've come from. Worse yet, I see every change looks almost exactly like popular suggestions that I've seen on various forums, which worries me that maybe SE is completely willing to give people what they ask for in exchange for subs, which may not be a terrible thing but it could be down the road. I think they've lost too many people's interest. I think that the amount of people who bought the game new was pretty low by todays standards, and even adding some PS3 people, we'll end up with a number smaller than the initial 350k people who bought the game the first time (just an estimate based on numbers shipped and accounts set up by November.)

Edited, Jun 13th 2011 10:17am by KujaKoF
____________________________


#43 Jun 13 2011 at 8:32 AM Rating: Excellent
****
6,898 posts
KenJammin wrote:
MMO's succeed mostly on how much depth they have, hence why WOW was able to gain a snowballing lead over the competition.


Um, if this were the reason why WoW is so successful, FFXI would be just as successful as WoW or more-so, because content-wise, I'd say FFXI blows WoW out of the water. Sky, Sea, Dynamis, Limbus, BCNMs, ENMs, ZNMs, HNMs, Salvage, Nyzul Isle, Abyssea, etc etc. While I agree that content is hugely important and is the number 1 thing on my list to improve FFXIV (they can keep improving the core systems, but without the content I'm not playing) I don't think it defines the success of an MMO.

It's a double edged sword really for FFXIV. If they focus on fixing the groundwork first, they neglect adding a lot of content that will truly bring players back (ie, what they've been doing since the new team arrived). If they focus on content, they neglect the fundamental battle, UI, crafting, world changes that are crucial to make that content fun to play and successful. Really, the problem that may spell doom for FFXIV is that there are just so MANY changes they have to make, it might take too long for them to do it and still garner enough interest for players.

If a PS3 release ever happens, they better release an ungodly huge expansion with it. I mean at LEAST 10-15 new and distinct zones, new classes, and tons more stuff to do. It's certainly still possible to save this game, but right this moment it certainly looks a bit bleak. Let's just hope this June patch is not just a tiny step in the right direction but a large jump.

Edited, Jun 13th 2011 10:33am by BartelX
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#44 Jun 13 2011 at 10:06 AM Rating: Good
7 posts
BartelX wrote:
KenJammin wrote:
MMO's succeed mostly on how much depth they have, hence why WOW was able to gain a snowballing lead over the competition.


Um, if this were the reason why WoW is so successful, FFXI would be just as successful as WoW or more-so, because content-wise, I'd say FFXI blows WoW out of the water. Sky, Sea, Dynamis, Limbus, BCNMs, ENMs, ZNMs, HNMs, Salvage, Nyzul Isle, Abyssea, etc etc. While I agree that content is hugely important and is the number 1 thing on my list to improve FFXIV (they can keep improving the core systems, but without the content I'm not playing) I don't think it defines the success of an MMO.

It's a double edged sword really for FFXIV. If they focus on fixing the groundwork first, they neglect adding a lot of content that will truly bring players back (ie, what they've been doing since the new team arrived). If they focus on content, they neglect the fundamental battle, UI, crafting, world changes that are crucial to make that content fun to play and successful. Really, the problem that may spell doom for FFXIV is that there are just so MANY changes they have to make, it might take too long for them to do it and still garner enough interest for players.

If a PS3 release ever happens, they better release an ungodly huge expansion with it. I mean at LEAST 10-15 new and distinct zones, new classes, and tons more stuff to do. It's certainly still possible to save this game, but right this moment it certainly looks a bit bleak. Let's just hope this June patch is not just a tiny step in the right direction but a large jump.

Edited, Jun 13th 2011 10:33am by BartelX


I believe their decision to fix the core of FFXIV first before working on content is correct. Despite the fact that FFXI triumphs over FFXIV now in terms of content for the end-game player as well as the player leveling up to level cap (I believe they did that part extremely well, unlike wow), some of the core parts of FFXI that were horrible back then, such as a UI that is still mostly catered for the console player, maps with poor functionality, no idea which npc gives quests and which doesn't, non-friendly to the starting player (it still is); these things are still mostly unfixed now. They have piled so many things, one over another, that even if they wanted to fix the core of the game itself, it would be close to impossible to do that.

FFXIV is more user friendly now, at least for the starting player. I know I didn't go "ok, what do i do now" when I picked up the game 3 months ago. On the contrary, I was able to get in on the action immediately with the various crafting and battle leves. The opening cutscene in Uldah was also just breathtaking. Of course there are a few more major tweaks to be made, such as the battle-system. Everything else will flow naturally from there.

So I don't believe the future for FFXIV is that bleak. In fact, if you think about it, FFXIV isn't the sole project of SE, and SE isn't dependent on it for survival. If they were to shut down FFXIV servers and re-release it a year later, that doesn't automatically mean that FFXIV has failed. If the re-release is good, people will still play. Why am I so confident about that? Because FF is currently occupying a niche within the MMO market. You are not going to get the same FF elements in games like SWTOR or WoW v2.0 or Rift or whatsoever. No Fenrir, TaruTarus/Dunesfolk, Jeuno/Ishgard (possibly) will be found in any other games. No other games will ever be able to pull off the grind until ears and eyes bleeding, and yet when a new day hits, you are all eager to login as that level 1 samurai or darkknight, ready to grind again experience. A FF-Online fan will stay a FF-Online fan.


#45 Jun 13 2011 at 10:32 AM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
Nakaru wrote:
BartelX wrote:
KenJammin wrote:
MMO's succeed mostly on how much depth they have, hence why WOW was able to gain a snowballing lead over the competition.


Um, if this were the reason why WoW is so successful, FFXI would be just as successful as WoW or more-so, because content-wise, I'd say FFXI blows WoW out of the water. Sky, Sea, Dynamis, Limbus, BCNMs, ENMs, ZNMs, HNMs, Salvage, Nyzul Isle, Abyssea, etc etc. While I agree that content is hugely important and is the number 1 thing on my list to improve FFXIV (they can keep improving the core systems, but without the content I'm not playing) I don't think it defines the success of an MMO.

It's a double edged sword really for FFXIV. If they focus on fixing the groundwork first, they neglect adding a lot of content that will truly bring players back (ie, what they've been doing since the new team arrived). If they focus on content, they neglect the fundamental battle, UI, crafting, world changes that are crucial to make that content fun to play and successful. Really, the problem that may spell doom for FFXIV is that there are just so MANY changes they have to make, it might take too long for them to do it and still garner enough interest for players.

If a PS3 release ever happens, they better release an ungodly huge expansion with it. I mean at LEAST 10-15 new and distinct zones, new classes, and tons more stuff to do. It's certainly still possible to save this game, but right this moment it certainly looks a bit bleak. Let's just hope this June patch is not just a tiny step in the right direction but a large jump.

Edited, Jun 13th 2011 10:33am by BartelX


I believe their decision to fix the core of FFXIV first before working on content is correct. Despite the fact that FFXI triumphs over FFXIV now in terms of content for the end-game player as well as the player leveling up to level cap (I believe they did that part extremely well, unlike wow), some of the core parts of FFXI that were horrible back then, such as a UI that is still mostly catered for the console player, maps with poor functionality, no idea which npc gives quests and which doesn't, non-friendly to the starting player (it still is); these things are still mostly unfixed now. They have piled so many things, one over another, that even if they wanted to fix the core of the game itself, it would be close to impossible to do that.


Some of those things you mentioned are actually things I liked about ffxi however. The fact that the developers aren't holding your hand every step of the way was nice. Having a directional arrow that shows me exactly where to go and what to do is great sometimes, but all the time (in games like WoW and Rift) it just becomes a matter of routine and is boring. Personally, I'd rather have heaps of content with a backbone that might be flawed but still works well (ffxi model), than a game with almost no content but a great core system in place (what ffxiv AIMS to do, although who knows when). I'm not saying I disagree that those basic elements are important... but for me, content is just AS important, if not more so. Granted, that's only an opinion, but I do know that pretty much everyone I played FFXIV with quit because of the lack of content, not the flawed battle system.

Nakaru wrote:
FFXIV is more user friendly now, at least for the starting player. I know I didn't go "ok, what do i do now" when I picked up the game 3 months ago. On the contrary, I was able to get in on the action immediately with the various crafting and battle leves. The opening cutscene in Uldah was also just breathtaking. Of course there are a few more major tweaks to be made, such as the battle-system. Everything else will flow naturally from there.


A few major tweaks? I think most people will agree that the game needs more than a few major tweaks to be good. I'm not saying it won't happen, I just think it's a bit far-fetched to say the game just needs a few more tweaks.


Nakaru wrote:
So I don't believe the future for FFXIV is that bleak. In fact, if you think about it, FFXIV isn't the sole project of SE, and SE isn't dependent on it for survival. If they were to shut down FFXIV servers and re-release it a year later, that doesn't automatically mean that FFXIV has failed. If the re-release is good, people will still play. Why am I so confident about that? Because FF is currently occupying a niche within the MMO market. You are not going to get the same FF elements in games like SWTOR or WoW v2.0 or Rift or whatsoever. No Fenrir, TaruTarus/Dunesfolk, Jeuno/Ishgard (possibly) will be found in any other games. No other games will ever be able to pull off the grind until ears and eyes bleeding, and yet when a new day hits, you are all eager to login as that level 1 samurai or darkknight, ready to grind again experience. A FF-Online fan will stay a FF-Online fan.


Certainly FF has it's niche. The problem is that they've taken a couple of very awkward steps recently, with making FF13 insanely linear and very non FF feeling, and then they made FFXIV and had the gall to release and charge 50-80 bucks for basically an Alpha. If they get the game fixed, maybe they'll all come back... but maybe they won't. I know that I certainly haven't been eager to log in and grind more on FFXIV in many months. Hardcore grinding just doesn't excite a lot of fans anymore, even FFXI fans. Sure there are some people who enjoy it, but a lot don't. Hence why WoW is popular, or why FFXI has stayed so consistent with their subscriber numbers after introducing the grind-reducing Abyssea.
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#46 Jun 13 2011 at 11:50 AM Rating: Good
***
3,530 posts
BartelX wrote:
KenJammin wrote:
MMO's succeed mostly on how much depth they have, hence why WOW was able to gain a snowballing lead over the competition.


Um, if this were the reason why WoW is so successful, FFXI would be just as successful as WoW or more-so, because content-wise, I'd say FFXI blows WoW out of the water. Sky, Sea, Dynamis, Limbus, BCNMs, ENMs, ZNMs, HNMs, Salvage, Nyzul Isle, Abyssea, etc etc. While I agree that content is hugely important and is the number 1 thing on my list to improve FFXIV (they can keep improving the core systems, but without the content I'm not playing) I don't think it defines the success of an MMO.


Yeah, I thought that WoW succeeded for the opposite reason: for the fact that even the worst, stupidest player can advance consistently and wind up with decent gear by queuing for self-creating parties that teleport them to the instances.

Most of the game is very simple, and while one can play it while being very hardcore about it, there's not really any content catered to those types of people (25-person raids get you an achievement, if that counts... >_>). In WoW, you gain reputation through instances, levels through instances, gear through instances, and later, justice points through instances, and endgame gear through instances. The game is mostly about running through instances, killing the boss at the end, and it appeals to many people for its casual nature and overt simplicity.

In short, WoW would not have so many players if playing it necessitated any kind of depth.
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#47 Jun 13 2011 at 12:07 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,004 posts
i stopped playing last week, at least for a little while because i downloaded Grandia off the PSN and have been playing the **** out of that rpg.

that game was made in 1996 so it really says alot about ffxiv.
#48 Jun 13 2011 at 12:15 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,707 posts
The problem with releasing a crappy game, and making it good over a long period of time is that you miss the out on the leverage you get with the fan base if you release a good game straight out the gate. I think SE is now understands how important this is and will not have a PS3 release until they can do it with a bang.

And make no mistake, we all know that true FF fans will come back if they turn this thing around.

In the meantime, I need to figure out what an Atma is so that I can get invited to this Abyssea thing...
#49 Jun 13 2011 at 12:25 PM Rating: Decent
Quote:
It's a double edged sword really for FFXIV. If they focus on fixing the groundwork first, they neglect adding a lot of content that will truly bring players back (ie, what they've been doing since the new team arrived). If they focus on content, they neglect the fundamental battle, UI, crafting, world changes that are crucial to make that content fun to play and successful. Really, the problem that may spell doom for FFXIV is that there are just so MANY changes they have to make, it might take too long for them to do it and still garner enough interest for players.

If a PS3 release ever happens, they better release an ungodly huge expansion with it. I mean at LEAST 10-15 new and distinct zones, new classes, and tons more stuff to do. It's certainly still possible to save this game, but right this moment it certainly looks a bit bleak. Let's just hope this June patch is not just a tiny step in the right direction but a large jump.


Well put. I am apt to side with SE on their approach to the problem however. If I had to choose between fixing the game, or adding more content to play on a broken game, I would choose fixing the game first every time. While I am losing ground the whole time due to voluntary inactivity, and thus will not be as far ahead as some or have as large a gap as I could have over any future new players, at least I will not have invested a lot of time into the game, all the while generating more frustration at FFXIV for its flaws. Instead, I am just a bit frustrated at the length of time it is taking to bring around said changes, and will still be able to fully enjoy the current and/or future content once the game is in a more stable condition.

I haven't played much in the last few months, but as soon as the battle system patch hits, I will be on it like flattened roadkill on the center stripe of a 2-lane country highway.

I am thinking that I will go ahead and get THM & CON or whatever they evolve into (BLM & WHM?) first, then concentrate on my Lancer(Dragoon?).
____________________________
Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
Data Center: Primal; Server: Ultros; Free Company: The Kraken Club; Grand Company: The Maelstrom; Chocobo: Kweh
#50 Jun 13 2011 at 12:46 PM Rating: Excellent
*
138 posts
In my opinion, saying it's a double edged sword isn't really correct. It's letting them off the hook a bit for releasing a half made crappy game a year early.

Yoshi has said himself that there are multiple people working on multiple teams.

SE is huge and if it cared it'd have the resources to fix both the battle system and UI whilst adding content.

It's not a priority, which is bizarre as it's their flagship franchise being damaged by terrible PR.

True story.
#51 Jun 13 2011 at 12:53 PM Rating: Good
29 posts
tpgsoldier wrote:
Rinsui wrote:
Quote:
The only thing I don't understand is how content flows so quickly for other games (even ffxi) yet FFXIV unfolds at a seemingly stagnant pace. I guess it has to do with the fact that the core of the game was never ready for release, but its still shocking how slow it has evolved in nearly a year.


Yes, there is a tiny bit of hope that there are actually good, convincing reasons for the ridiculously long delay.
Not that I would believe it, though.


Its sad to say but EVEN the producers letters are being delayed now.


I'm only assuming here, but it is starting to seem as if there are issues with the original code and the code for the new content that causes delay. But ya, both info and patches seem to be relatively slow, last Lodestone info is over 20 days old. That is not a short time frame considering how much work need to be done.

@KuroGawatwo : i agree SE could have had this game finished some time back if it were main focus on the agenda. leading to the question "Why is it not?"

Edited, Jun 13th 2011 2:57pm by TonberyHunter
« Previous 1 2 3
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 19 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (19)