Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Am I the only one?Follow

#1 Jun 19 2011 at 4:02 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
27 posts
Okay. So 1.18 is going to completely chane the way we play ffxiv. So if you have a level 50 lancer from the old system, how will you get the full experience of the new system?

As much as I want to play, I find myself wanting to wait for the patch so I can play and level the game the way it's meant to be. As the final fantasy mmos are the only ones to my knowledge that only allow you to play one character for free, I wonder how will SE address this so that the loyal players that have been hanging on with the game don't feel that cheated. (Unless they really just like the bragging rights of saying they did it the "hard way") Anyone else feel where I'm coming from?
____________________________


#2 Jun 19 2011 at 4:25 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
Avatar
**
560 posts
Being that you are R30 maybe you havent really gotten into the old fail'em and repeat'em cycle with leves yet But from about 33 forward that is all you really do to level(with maybe some raptors thrown in at the very end). Basicly its just a zergfest where noone really has to do anything other than spam 1 or toss an occasional heal or MAYBE occasionally provoke. People are already hittng 50 with no clue how to play their characters. Being 50 when the new system comes out doesnt really mean you missed out on much I wouldnt think.
____________________________


#4 Jun 19 2011 at 4:40 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,208 posts
DeSage wrote:
Okay. So 1.18 is going to completely chane the way we play ffxiv. So if you have a level 50 lancer from the old system, how will you get the full experience of the new system?

As much as I want to play, I find myself wanting to wait for the patch so I can play and level the game the way it's meant to be. As the final fantasy mmos are the only ones to my knowledge that only allow you to play one character for free, I wonder how will SE address this so that the loyal players that have been hanging on with the game don't feel that cheated. (Unless they really just like the bragging rights of saying they did it the "hard way") Anyone else feel where I'm coming from?


You must not have played FFXI, or else you would have known that being able to say "I did it the hard way" was far more than enough compensation. To this day, you will hear that in FFXI, whether it's leveling, Cop missions, Limit Breaks (which not many do anymore pre-75), etc...

____________________________

FFXI: Maddog - 99 BST, BLM, RDM, WAR


#5 Jun 19 2011 at 4:46 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
560 posts
I seriously doubt the core mechanic of zerging/failing leves every 36 hours will change that much. It requires 0 skill other than managing whose turn it is to link/fail the leves.
____________________________


#6 Jun 19 2011 at 4:55 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
2,000 posts
tpsoldier wrote:
People are already hittng 50 with no clue how to play their characters.


And this is 100% SE's fault, period.

At the moment non-NM mobs die so quickly that DoTs, disables, BRs, debuffs, strategy, coordination, etc is rarely worth the effort.

The simple fact is that the grind to 50 doesn't provide players with any opportunities to practice the kind of strategy and coordination required for NMs, regardless of whether you're doing leves or grinding on open-world mobs.

Don't hate the players hate the game.



Edited, Jun 19th 2011 3:56pm by akirussan
____________________________
#7 Jun 19 2011 at 6:25 PM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
*
239 posts
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Once SE adds mobs that take more than 5 seconds to kill people will learn tactics for their class. A good long battle with waves of adds sure does weed out the people that can't learn how their job works.
____________________________
Survivor of the Twinkling Treant - 2003
FFXI - Cerberus - 99 PUP, 75 BST-RDM-BLU
FFXIV - Besaid -> Balmung - 9/23/10

#8 Jun 19 2011 at 8:08 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
447 posts
No, it's quite evident you're not the only one. SE has to exceed expectations with this patch, or this game is as good as dead.

Why do I say that? Well, in the MMO realm, SWTOR is coming out, D3 looms in the horizon (which will be an MMO be any measure), let alone the other games. Not only that, but SE itself is hedging its bets on XIII-2 for whatever reason...

It's now or never. They simply cannot afford to operate a game with less than 100K active players, let alone a FTP one. It's sad to admit all the hours spent leveling thus far, with nothing to show. We all know SE's ability to tell a story (and those who completed the main story line in XIV know that they *intended* to here), but with nothing short of a miracle will XIV become a game worthy to be played for more than a fad or hope of the next big thing.
____________________________
Djigga, please. Highland Hyurs can't jump.

#9 Jun 19 2011 at 10:44 PM Rating: Decent
***
3,177 posts
DeSage wrote:
Okay. So 1.18 is going to completely chane the way we play ffxiv. So if you have a level 50 lancer from the old system, how will you get the full experience of the new system?

As much as I want to play, I find myself wanting to wait for the patch so I can play and level the game the way it's meant to be. As the final fantasy mmos are the only ones to my knowledge that only allow you to play one character for free, I wonder how will SE address this so that the loyal players that have been hanging on with the game don't feel that cheated. (Unless they really just like the bragging rights of saying they did it the "hard way") Anyone else feel where I'm coming from?


Rank 50 Lancer or Level 50?

They're going to drop the concept of physical levels, and you will allocate stats depending on class and its rank rather than allocate to a physical level. It's going to be harder to level up new classes after this new system is implemented because you will no longer have a high physical level backing you up, but other than that it shouldn't change too much.


____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#10 Jun 20 2011 at 12:05 AM Rating: Decent
***
3,530 posts
Cheated? Anybody who's grinding to 50 probably knows about the patch, so it's their choice to play or not. Also, it's not like they can't just rank up a different class... I doubt they have five or six rank 50s.
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#11 Jun 20 2011 at 2:07 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,449 posts
akirussan wrote:
tpsoldier wrote:
People are already hittng 50 with no clue how to play their characters.


And this is 100% SE's fault, period.

At the moment non-NM mobs die so quickly that DoTs, disables, BRs, debuffs, strategy, coordination, etc is rarely worth the effort.

The simple fact is that the grind to 50 doesn't provide players with any opportunities to practice the kind of strategy and coordination required for NMs, regardless of whether you're doing leves or grinding on open-world mobs.

Don't hate the players hate the game.

Edited, Jun 19th 2011 3:56pm by akirussan


I actually think that the players have their blame in this (maybe not totally) because of the whole "let us solo" trend, basically you do have mobs, almost up to rank 100, which would be a bigger chalenge to kill but because mmobs need to be able to be soloed then these will also be the easiest to kill in a party and as such provide the best SP/hour.

This is one of the things I like the least about FFXIV, the ability to solo along with all it's implication made the game too easy, people to lazy and the comunity almost non existant outside LSs.
____________________________


My FFXIV Blog



#12 Jun 20 2011 at 7:03 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,010 posts
Hugus wrote:


I actually think that the players have their blame in this (maybe not totally) because of the whole "let us solo" trend, basically you do have mobs, almost up to rank 100, which would be a bigger chalenge to kill but because mmobs need to be able to be soloed then these will also be the easiest to kill in a party and as such provide the best SP/hour.

This is one of the things I like the least about FFXIV, the ability to solo along with all it's implication made the game too easy, people to lazy and the comunity almost non existant outside LSs.


Well, maybe if they didn't turn the LFP system into a bottom-top approach more people would have been grouping. Let's face it - the folks who came over here initially were all FFXI players, and that meant we were used to partying. Unfortunately, this game and the system in general didn't lend itself well to grouping. The classes weren't really dependent on each other like in XI.

So, between those two issues it's no wonder that people took the path of least resistance. I can guarantee you if the LFP system was left how it was where people would flag up and a leader would build a party, the classes had been clearly defined where each role complemented the others, and the level sync revolution that changed the face of XI was continued here, we would be looking at a very different game than we are now.

If there is one thing I know about the fans of the FF franchise - is they are not lazy gamers who want things handed to them.
#13 Jun 20 2011 at 7:39 PM Rating: Good
***
1,636 posts
Hugus wrote:
akirussan wrote:
tpsoldier wrote:
People are already hittng 50 with no clue how to play their characters.


And this is 100% SE's fault, period.

At the moment non-NM mobs die so quickly that DoTs, disables, BRs, debuffs, strategy, coordination, etc is rarely worth the effort.

The simple fact is that the grind to 50 doesn't provide players with any opportunities to practice the kind of strategy and coordination required for NMs, regardless of whether you're doing leves or grinding on open-world mobs.

Don't hate the players hate the game.

Edited, Jun 19th 2011 3:56pm by akirussan


I actually think that the players have their blame in this (maybe not totally) because of the whole "let us solo" trend, basically you do have mobs, almost up to rank 100, which would be a bigger chalenge to kill but because mmobs need to be able to be soloed then these will also be the easiest to kill in a party and as such provide the best SP/hour.

This is one of the things I like the least about FFXIV, the ability to solo along with all it's implication made the game too easy, people to lazy and the comunity almost non existant outside LSs.


I think its just common knowledge and game knowledge/ability. Some people can level to cap and not know how to play a class, some people can play a class fine when borrowing their friends pre-leveled character. Experience helps, but only those who are actually trying or willing to learn.
____________________________


#14 Jun 20 2011 at 11:05 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
88 posts
No, Op, you're not the only one.

I can't help but thinking that the people who have taken multiple jobs to 50 without enjoying it (for the sole purpose of being "the man" after the PS3 release) can indeed be seen as people who did miss out on a lot provided that leveling (oops: ranking!) up becomes more interesting (read: challenging in terms of strategy, job knowledge and creativity) after the patch.

I see it as giving a relative newbie six level 90 jobs in FFXI. "There you go...have fun!". And sure, the person will have fun, and maybe he will learn how to play all six jobs...but it's not the same. People who finished the way easier versions of the FFXI's CoP missions missed out on lots of frustration...but also on a lot of fun and job experience. And you can usually tell which players have more experience with hard BC boss fights than others.

I do not feel sorry for those people though. After all....they have the chance to be able to enjoy (well, I hope they do) the changes immediately at just about every level. That's pretty cool as well and it's not like you can say that they didn't do it the hard way. Cause so many jobs at 50... given the current repeatative system that IS an effort I can only respect.
#15 Jun 21 2011 at 2:08 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,449 posts
Torrence wrote:
Hugus wrote:


I actually think that the players have their blame in this (maybe not totally) because of the whole "let us solo" trend, basically you do have mobs, almost up to rank 100, which would be a bigger chalenge to kill but because mmobs need to be able to be soloed then these will also be the easiest to kill in a party and as such provide the best SP/hour.

This is one of the things I like the least about FFXIV, the ability to solo along with all it's implication made the game too easy, people to lazy and the comunity almost non existant outside LSs.


Well, maybe if they didn't turn the LFP system into a bottom-top approach more people would have been grouping. Let's face it - the folks who came over here initially were all FFXI players, and that meant we were used to partying. Unfortunately, this game and the system in general didn't lend itself well to grouping. The classes weren't really dependent on each other like in XI.

So, between those two issues it's no wonder that people took the path of least resistance. I can guarantee you if the LFP system was left how it was where people would flag up and a leader would build a party, the classes had been clearly defined where each role complemented the others, and the level sync revolution that changed the face of XI was continued here, we would be looking at a very different game than we are now.

If there is one thing I know about the fans of the FF franchise - is they are not lazy gamers who want things handed to them.


I think that if the benefits are worth it people will get into parties, regardless of the dificulty in creating these, you still get people party for behest, leves and raptor party and I'll guess you will also get them for the dungeons. That is another thing that personally I think killed the ordinary EXP parties, by trying to provide something for "casual" players to do, leves/behest, they actually made them the mainstay of leveling up and if that wasn't bad enough they even increased behest to twice an hour now meaning less reason for people to get into parties outside the usual camps.

If SE wants to make available ways for casual players to play good for them but they should make sure these are not made into mainstream leveling, reducing reset time on leves to 36 hours and increasing behest to twice an hour just feels like the oposite of the experiance I remember from FFXI and please don't say that getting ranks in 14 is too slow because it's way to easy, it might be a bit monotonous at the moment but still to easy and quick to get to 50.
____________________________


My FFXIV Blog



This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 16 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (16)