Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

SE You make me sadFollow

#1 Jun 21 2011 at 8:16 AM Rating: Default
29 posts
As i have demonstrated on multiple instances do tend to defend SE, how ever i do not think i can do that at this point. i was looking through the XI site out of nostalgia, and as i was looking back i noted something. Something that utterly made me reconsider my position. In the time frame from XIV's launch till now, XI has become a new game in it's own accord. While XIV has not even left the gate, which brings more questions than answers. Why is SE back burning XIV? Why are they turning a blind eye to the game? What the **** are you thinking SE?

Sure there's hope in the patch coming up but really, it's 2 months over do. Looking the path SE is following, this game stands no chance. Unless SE starts giving more a "meh" for this game, the little work put in to it will be in vain. All the cards, excuses, and thin tricks are all used up.

Long story short, i quit XIV. There's nothing now, or in the near future that will happen to turn things around. Only thing i can see that will change or overrule this decision is if by the one year mark SE buts up the this game is complete banner and the statement is legit.

Edited, Jun 21st 2011 10:18am by TonberyHunter
#2 Jun 21 2011 at 8:22 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,449 posts
So they change game's upper managment (at least the head), make the game free till further notice, have been updating/patching the mage almost twice every month, keeping comunication open like never before and changing the game to acomodate the majority of the players.....

If you think this is "turning a blind eye to the game" then I can only imagine what you consider them actually acting on player's demands. Yes it's been slow but unless you work at SE none of us can really know if theu can or should be able to do things any faster or if they are just draging their feet.

If you quit then you wo't have to deal with any of these issues any more, hope that works for you. Now I can only ask that you dont bring your issues into a forum of a game you no longer play and most of us will actually appreciate that from you.
____________________________


My FFXIV Blog



#3 Jun 21 2011 at 8:32 AM Rating: Default
**
589 posts
TonberyHunter wrote:
As i have demonstrated on multiple instances do tend to defend SE, how ever i do not think i can do that at this point. i was looking through the XI site out of nostalgia, and as i was looking back i noted something. Something that utterly made me reconsider my position. In the time frame from XIV's launch till now, XI has become a new game in it's own accord. While XIV has not even left the gate, which brings more questions than answers. Why is SE back burning XIV? Why are they turning a blind eye to the game? What the **** are you thinking SE?

Sure there's hope in the patch coming up but really, it's 2 months over do. Looking the path SE is following, this game stands no chance. Unless SE starts giving more a "meh" for this game, the little work put in to it will be in vain. All the cards, excuses, and thin tricks are all used up.

Long story short, i quit XIV. There's nothing now, or in the near future that will happen to turn things around. Only thing i can see that will change or overrule this decision is if by the one year mark SE buts up the this game is complete banner and the statement is legit.

Edited, Jun 21st 2011 10:18am by TonberyHunter


Caio, here's hoping the door hits your *** on the way out.
____________________________
Solomon Grundy | Born on a Monday | Excalibur Server | Abyss: Welcome to a Higher Quality of Nerding™
#4 Jun 21 2011 at 8:38 AM Rating: Excellent
**
660 posts
Hugus those updates really haven't contained a whole lot. Those that did offered lackluster content like the holiday events and cookie-cutter quests. There's still so much that's absolutely broken that it's no stretch to feel SE has put FFXIV on the back burner for more serious projects that they might actually make money on. FFXIV is pretty much the same game it was at launch still. This is very disappointing because FFXIV really has a lot of potential. It's a beatiful disaster though.

The steps SE has taken so far amount to nothing more than damage control for one of the worst MMO launches in modern gaming. I don't really see that as a good thing to use to defend the game.

Now I'm not ready to throw my arms up and declare that I've quit. Like most people I'm sitting on the sidelines watching the game evolve slowly. I can't say I'm pleased with the progress but hey, the game is free so no harm there.

____________________________


#5 Jun 21 2011 at 9:29 AM Rating: Default
*
120 posts
TonberyHunter wrote:
As i have demonstrated on multiple instances do tend to defend SE, how ever i do not think i can do that at this point. i was looking through the XI site out of nostalgia, and as i was looking back i noted something. Something that utterly made me reconsider my position. In the time frame from XIV's launch till now, XI has become a new game in it's own accord. While XIV has not even left the gate, which brings more questions than answers. Why is SE back burning XIV? Why are they turning a blind eye to the game? What the **** are you thinking SE?

Sure there's hope in the patch coming up but really, it's 2 months over do. Looking the path SE is following, this game stands no chance. Unless SE starts giving more a "meh" for this game, the little work put in to it will be in vain. All the cards, excuses, and thin tricks are all used up.

Long story short, i quit XIV. There's nothing now, or in the near future that will happen to turn things around. Only thing i can see that will change or overrule this decision is if by the one year mark SE buts up the this game is complete banner and the statement is legit.

Edited, Jun 21st 2011 10:18am by TonberyHunter



Cool story bro
#6 Jun 21 2011 at 9:30 AM Rating: Decent
***
3,530 posts
Why do people feel the need to be so dramatic over "quitting" a completely free game that barely has any players anyway? What makes your grammatically lacking, QQ story a necessary read when some 300,000 other English-speaking players were able to stop playing without dedicating a thread to it?

Not enjoying the game? Then just stop playing it; it costs nothing how it is, and I would wager that most people, even on this forum, do not actually play very often anymore. Give it a try later when there's another year's worth of updates, or don't come back, if for some reason you hold a grudge against a game.

In short: most people are waiting, not playing, right now; but most people do not feel the need to make another melodramatic post about it.
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#7 Jun 21 2011 at 9:40 AM Rating: Decent
Sage
**
534 posts
If a person currently playing FFXIV says they quit...yet no one is there to witness them removing the game from their HD...

Did it really happen...hmmm...

I would suggest anyone else coming in here to tell us that they are quitting...to please include a screenshot(or several) of the removal process. Maybe even include a video(please keep it brief) of you throwing the FF disks in the garbage, or even stomping on them.

After that...I may actually start to believe the stories.
____________________________
Amos Fin - Ultros

#8 Jun 21 2011 at 10:31 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
97 posts
KaneKitty wrote:
Why do people feel the need to be so dramatic over "quitting" a completely free game that barely has any players anyway? What makes your grammatically lacking, QQ story a necessary read when some 300,000 other English-speaking players were able to stop playing without dedicating a thread to it?

Not enjoying the game? Then just stop playing it; it costs nothing how it is, and I would wager that most people, even on this forum, do not actually play very often anymore. Give it a try later when there's another year's worth of updates, or don't come back, if for some reason you hold a grudge against a game.

In short: most people are waiting, not playing, right now; but most people do not feel the need to make another melodramatic post about it.


I see it as a race to be the first person to quit every week. Always a new winner, and always trying to one-up the last guy.
#9 Jun 21 2011 at 10:40 AM Rating: Excellent
**
557 posts
Simool wrote:
If a person currently playing FFXIV says they quit...yet no one is there to witness them removing the game from their HD...

Did it really happen...hmmm...

I would suggest anyone else coming in here to tell us that they are quitting...to please include a screenshot(or several) of the removal process. Maybe even include a video(please keep it brief) of you throwing the FF disks in the garbage, or even stomping on them.

After that...I may actually start to believe the stories.

Well, you can download the client via BitTorrent so short of giving your account away (which I'm not sure is even possible, and it's almost certainly a violation of the EULA), I don't think you can permanently revoke access to your own FFXIV account.

Maybe if you said something really horrid in the forums or put some effort into using an exploit in the game you could find yourself with a lifetime ban, but I wouldn't expect anyone to take such a step.
____________________________


#10 Jun 21 2011 at 10:54 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
283 posts
Hugus wrote:
So they change game's upper managment (at least the head), make the game free till further notice, have been updating/patching the mage almost twice every month, keeping comunication open like never before and changing the game to acomodate the majority of the players.....

If you think this is "turning a blind eye to the game" then I can only imagine what you consider them actually acting on player's demands. Yes it's been slow but unless you work at SE none of us can really know if theu can or should be able to do things any faster or if they are just draging their feet.

If you quit then you wo't have to deal with any of these issues any more, hope that works for you. Now I can only ask that you dont bring your issues into a forum of a game you no longer play and most of us will actually appreciate that from you.


Point me to the patch in the last 9 month that made FFXIV fun. **** point me to the patch in the last 9 months that really did anything. Im sorry but so far the best we are getting is 1.18 that adds 2 dungeons and auto attack with a few updated looking attacks. I mean for the love of god other games have put that out in a lot less time with more content.
#11 Jun 21 2011 at 11:27 AM Rating: Excellent
**
383 posts
Sethern79 wrote:
Point me to the patch in the last 9 month that made FFXIV fun. **** point me to the patch in the last 9 months that really did anything. Im sorry but so far the best we are getting is 1.18 that adds 2 dungeons and auto attack with a few updated looking attacks. I mean for the love of god other games have put that out in a lot less time with more content.


He's right. In this case "fun" is certainly subjective, but compared to other MMO games that I've played FFXI and FFXIV release content and correspond with their community significantly less often than any other game I've played. The part that confuses me is that the team has been scrambling to release content since the game's re-organization, yet they've still failed to release anything as far as content is concerned. There's a plethora of people who've hit rank 50 in so many classes, yet they're stuck because the dev team is patching minor junk and releasing the hotfixes as a major patch. Earthquake aside, they've really been dragging their asses with this game.
____________________________
This is my sig; Enjoy.
FFXIV: Tom Carroll - Excalibur
FC: Sitzkireg (www.sitzkrieg.guildwork.com)
#12 Jun 21 2011 at 11:31 AM Rating: Excellent
**
923 posts
People make quitting posts because they're die-hard SE fans and feel so disappointed in the game that they must make their voice heard on the subject, not that crazy really but not productive or a good read either..
#13 Jun 21 2011 at 2:45 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
134 posts
FFXI should be getting more attention, its actually generating money. Where FFXIV atm is a black hole of profit. There is no logical reason for FXIV to get more focus then FFXI where there is no evidence 14 will ever be profitable.
#14 Jun 21 2011 at 3:22 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
283 posts
Mitsuuko wrote:
FFXI should be getting more attention, its actually generating money. Where FFXIV atm is a black hole of profit. There is no logical reason for FXIV to get more focus then FFXI where there is no evidence 14 will ever be profitable.


The attention FFXI is getting is what FFXIV should have gotten in the first place. If it did we would be looking a difrent game today. FFXI will not be around forever and if SE wants to stay in the MMO market they really need something to replace it. If they are really looking to make FFXIV a good game they are going to need to get to work and a patch like 1.18 every 9 months is not going to do it. I don't care how good the 2 new dungeons are they will only last so long before people get bord with them.
#15 Jun 21 2011 at 3:29 PM Rating: Decent
**
952 posts
TonberyHunter wrote:
As i have demonstrated on multiple instances do tend to defend SE, how ever i do not think i can do that at this point. i was looking through the XI site out of nostalgia, and as i was looking back i noted something. Something that utterly made me reconsider my position. In the time frame from XIV's launch till now, XI has become a new game in it's own accord. While XIV has not even left the gate, which brings more questions than answers. Why is SE back burning XIV? Why are they turning a blind eye to the game? What the **** are you thinking SE?

Sure there's hope in the patch coming up but really, it's 2 months over do. Looking the path SE is following, this game stands no chance. Unless SE starts giving more a "meh" for this game, the little work put in to it will be in vain. All the cards, excuses, and thin tricks are all used up.

Long story short, i quit XIV. There's nothing now, or in the near future that will happen to turn things around. Only thing i can see that will change or overrule this decision is if by the one year mark SE buts up the this game is complete banner and the statement is legit.

Edited, Jun 21st 2011 10:18am by TonberyHunter


Bye Felicia.
#16 Jun 21 2011 at 3:48 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,235 posts
While the dramatic QQ quit post is played out, and pointless...

I have to take issue with saying SE has worked hard to patch and update this game the last 9 months. Short of some generic cookie cutter side-quests and a handful of low-mid level NMs, all other patching was just to make the game playable.

Fixxing stuff that had no excuse to be released as finished product is not working hard to release content. Pushing back and dumbing down previously advertised content like Companies is not working hard to release content. Having us still running everywhere on foot, or using lolanima for what seems to still be an indefinite amount of time is not working hard to release content. And at the risk of being presumptious~ 2 dungeons after all the build-up about the instanced dungeon content, is not working hard to release content.

There are FPS's that have released more content in the last 6 months, that's sad.
____________________________


"Don't take it personally man, white knights would eat a can of **** if the label said SE on it. If anyone dared mention that it was not a good product, they'd just argue if someone can't appreciate the subtle nuances in the ****, they should just go back to eating lolrealfood, cuz the devs prolly know more about canning food than they do."
#17 Jun 21 2011 at 4:48 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
351 posts
TonberyHunter wrote:
Looking back i noted something. Something that utterly made me reconsider my position. In the time frame from XIV's launch till now, XI has become a new game in it's own accord. While XIV has not even left the gate, which brings more questions than answers. Why is SE back burning XIV? Why are they turning a blind eye to the game? What the **** are you thinking SE?


I've noticed FFXI is doing a lot better with Abyssea (for a lot longer) than FFXIV has done since its launch.

But to be fair, FFXI was already in much better shape to begin with, especially since it was a perfectly functional, matured MMO by the time Abyssea came out. FFXIV, unfortunately, still has its best days ahead of it (if it ever has any good days at all).

Yoshida inherited an absolute mess and a "mission impossible" to bring FFXIV to life. If he actually pulls it off, he'll be revered as the hero that saved Final Fantasy. It's just too bad I think he doesn't stand a chance but I still admire the guy for sticking with this horribly daunting task.

#18 Jun 21 2011 at 5:00 PM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
TurboTom wrote:
He's right. In this case "fun" is certainly subjective, but compared to other MMO games that I've played FFXI and FFXIV release content and correspond with their community significantly less often than any other game I've played.


Hold up a second. Now, I'll give you that FFXIV hasn't released much content, but you really can't say that about FFXI. That game has more content than any I've ever played. Didn't mean to pick apart the post, and I'm sure you were more referencing FFXI with the lack of correspondence, upon which I absolutely agree with you.
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#19 Jun 21 2011 at 5:02 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
283 posts
ForceOfMeh wrote:
TonberyHunter wrote:
Looking back i noted something. Something that utterly made me reconsider my position. In the time frame from XIV's launch till now, XI has become a new game in it's own accord. While XIV has not even left the gate, which brings more questions than answers. Why is SE back burning XIV? Why are they turning a blind eye to the game? What the **** are you thinking SE?


I've noticed FFXI is doing a lot better with Abyssea (for a lot longer) than FFXIV has done since its launch.

But to be fair, FFXI was already in much better shape to begin with, especially since it was a perfectly functional, matured MMO by the time Abyssea came out. FFXIV, unfortunately, still has its best days ahead of it (if it ever has any good days at all).

Yoshida inherited an absolute mess and a "mission impossible" to bring FFXIV to life. If he actually pulls it off, he'll be revered as the hero that saved Final Fantasy. It's just too bad I think he doesn't stand a chance but I still admire the guy for sticking with this horribly daunting task.



If he pulls this off I am willing to bet he will become a legond in the MMO world. Most people I know me being one of them don't think he has a chance in **** of doing it. But if he dose turn this game around and make something great out of it. I will put cash down on any mmo he puts his name on. I don't care if its a new Hellow Kitty MMO.
#20 Jun 21 2011 at 7:43 PM Rating: Default
***
3,530 posts
Restyoneck wrote:
There are FPS's that have released more content in the last 6 months, that's sad.


Yeah, especially because the two genres are so much alike! I mean, FPS games manage to balance their new battle systems, class ranks, spells and abilities, monster strength, crafting mechanics, market organization, open worlds, and stat distributions so easily in so little time, why can't SE do the same for theirs!?
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#21 Jun 21 2011 at 11:30 PM Rating: Good
**
383 posts
BartelX wrote:
Hold up a second. Now, I'll give you that FFXIV hasn't released much content, but you really can't say that about FFXI. That game has more content than any I've ever played. Didn't mean to pick apart the post, and I'm sure you were more referencing FFXI with the lack of correspondence, upon which I absolutely agree with you.


I agree that FFXI has an enormous amount of content, but it's accumulated over 9 years. Furthermore, it's concentrated almost exclusively to endgame, which, in the past, really discouraged many people from making it to level cap. In all fairness there was a lot added that could be done before 75, but when I stopped playing, I never saw any incentives to finish eco-warrior quests or garrisons, these events sort of faded from view because of their obscurity.

I remember most of SE's major patches were usually incremental storyline updates, so there wasn't quite so much new stuff being laid out in front of us, but since we were at one level cap for so long, I can't really say that content wasn't released in a way that wasn't balanced. I sort of lost my point, but I guess that the game was unique, so our ideas of "content" may vary slightly. I just wish that SE would balance gear out in a WoW/Rift sort of way, that way more (useful) gear could come out rather than having everyone in your linkshell after the same pair of Byakko Pants or something. At least that way players can make incremental upgrades as they level, and as a result said gear could drop from dungeons or raids?

Sorry my post is all over the place, working on homework and otherwise tired. Love you all.
____________________________
This is my sig; Enjoy.
FFXIV: Tom Carroll - Excalibur
FC: Sitzkireg (www.sitzkrieg.guildwork.com)
#22 Jun 22 2011 at 1:20 AM Rating: Good
****
4,153 posts
TurboTom wrote:
I never saw any incentives to finish eco-warrior quests or garrisons, these events sort of faded from view because of their obscurity.

I've pointed it out elsewhere, but these types of missions and quests are exactly what XIV needs right now in terms of content. If this game is to succeed it will have to draw back players who quit early or pull in new players, neither of which actually care about the coming instanced content. I understand why they're adding it. It's been long enough that many players have achieved the cap and they're hungry for endgame content, but it's not the direction this game needs to take yet.

TurboTom wrote:
I just wish that SE would balance gear out in a WoW/Rift sort of way, that way more (useful) gear could come out rather than having everyone in your linkshell after the same pair of Byakko Pants or something. At least that way players can make incremental upgrades as they level, and as a result said gear could drop from dungeons or raids?


We're probably gonna take a karma beating for this, but I totally agree with you. Having a highly sought after item available to 17 out of the 22 jobs that are available is just poor design. I like the way the system works in WoW and I don't have any experience with Rift, but it would be nice to see gear that helps add identity to your class.

Evolith and augmented gear in XI worked well, but wasn't expanded enough. The reforging system in WoW built on the prior concepts in a simple yet more effective way. It would be nice to see more variation in gear in XIV and it could be improved even more depending on how the materia system plays out.

Edited, Jun 22nd 2011 4:22am by FilthMcNasty
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#23 Jun 22 2011 at 9:06 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
351 posts
Quote:
If he pulls this off I am willing to bet he will become a legond in the MMO world. Most people I know me being one of them don't think he has a chance in **** of doing it. But if he dose turn this game around and make something great out of it. I will put cash down on any mmo he puts his name on. I don't care if its a new Hellow Kitty MMO.


Oh yeah, could you imagine how bankable he'd be if he succeeds? Any company with a failed MMO would be trying to steal this guy from SE.
#24 Jun 22 2011 at 11:41 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
Avatar
*
73 posts
Hugus wrote:
So they change game's upper managment (at least the head), make the game free till further notice, have been updating/patching the mage almost twice every month, keeping comunication open like never before and changing the game to acomodate the majority of the players.....

If you think this is "turning a blind eye to the game" then I can only imagine what you consider them actually acting on player's demands. Yes it's been slow but unless you work at SE none of us can really know if theu can or should be able to do things any faster or if they are just draging their feet.

If you quit then you wo't have to deal with any of these issues any more, hope that works for you. Now I can only ask that you dont bring your issues into a forum of a game you no longer play and most of us will actually appreciate that from you.


Wow! I guess the old adage that says that you will catch more flies with honey than with vinegar still runs true. I wrote a (What KK has lovingly labeled a melodramatic QQ "I quit") post about a week ago. The funny thing is that I recieved a completely different response. I guess by not really criticizing the game on the way out and only explaining my incredible disappointment with it, I didn't raise the hackles of the community enough to elicit this kind of response.
To the OP: I hope that you eventually come back as much as I hope that SE gives this game the attention that it deserves. I know (and I've said many times) that I will be back, because I really like this game, I just don't have enough to do at the moment. Hopefully, you will feel the same way and make a return eventually. And, lastly, here is one piece of un-solicited advice: do not try to compare this game to FFXI, you will only get flamed.
Good luck and we'll see you again :)
____________________________




#25 Jun 22 2011 at 11:47 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,707 posts
Is there really any drama in quitting XIV?

I find it more interesting that it took you this long.



Edited, Jun 22nd 2011 12:48pm by Mithsavvy
#26 Jun 22 2011 at 12:07 PM Rating: Decent
***
3,177 posts
I don't understand why it's necessary to complain/quit. People demand change to the game, change is coming. They stated it's coming early July. You can either complain that they're going too slow, or complain that they release an unfinished broken mess. If you want to complain about the former, then goodbye.

Rushing is what got them in the hole in the first place. On the other hand, if Patch 1.18 turns out to be mediocre, then a lot of people are probably going to jump ship and the fate will be sealed.
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#27 Jun 22 2011 at 12:27 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
Quote:
I've pointed it out elsewhere, but these types of missions and quests are exactly what XIV needs right now in terms of content. If this game is to succeed it will have to draw back players who quit early or pull in new players, neither of which actually care about the coming instanced content. I understand why they're adding it. It's been long enough that many players have achieved the cap and they're hungry for endgame content, but it's not the direction this game needs to take yet.


I couldn't agree more. If they ever did something like this, I hope they do keep it to where casuals could do it as well. Or do what they did in XI, rare/ex armor. Give hardcore players an incentive to want to party, they could sell their hard worked for armor and maybe give it a point higher in w/e stat, but for soloers, have them not have that option. Rare/ex only? Idk. Just a thought.
____________________________


"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
#28 Jun 22 2011 at 1:33 PM Rating: Good
**
383 posts
I wouldn't be against them adding this sort of content assuming it wasn't implemented like it was in XI. IE- We level cap your **** and give you less reward than the trouble is worth. There should be experience and loot incentives to doing any pre-raid content that at least rivals that of solo or group XP.
____________________________
This is my sig; Enjoy.
FFXIV: Tom Carroll - Excalibur
FC: Sitzkireg (www.sitzkrieg.guildwork.com)
#29 Jun 22 2011 at 5:24 PM Rating: Excellent
****
4,153 posts
TurboTom wrote:
I wouldn't be against them adding this sort of content assuming it wasn't implemented like it was in XI. IE- We level cap your sh*t and give you less reward than the trouble is worth. There should be experience and loot incentives to doing any pre-raid content that at least rivals that of solo or group XP.


Here's where we disagree. When I was leveling up in XI, which was my first MMO, I thought garrison and eco-warrior was exciting. You needed to get a fairly large group and it took more coordination than your average exp group. XI was a time sink kind of game anyway so I didn't really mind that the reward wasn't amazing. I was rewarded by meeting people and having fun, which seems like the point of games to me. I met some of the closest friends I had in FFXI doing quests and missions like these.

I realize that there are some people who won't touch anything that doesn't seem worth the effort, but there should at least be content there for people who don't need a shiny reward for everything they do. Team play is missing from this game. It seems like you grind out almost all of your leves alone(unless you link) and now with 1.18 coming you get your first taste of coordinated group effort. If the instances are designed only for rank 50 players, I'd consider it a failure.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#30 Jun 22 2011 at 8:46 PM Rating: Good
***
3,530 posts
FilthMcNasty wrote:
I didn't really mind that the reward wasn't amazing. I was rewarded by meeting people and having fun, which seems like the point of games to me. I met some of the closest friends I had in FFXI doing quests and missions like these.


You clearly don't understand how a game is supposed to work. These days, games are about the never-ending achievement of incremental upgrades at the cost of storyline, unique mechanics, immersion, (and most importantly) courtesy to others, and social interaction.

If something in a game doesn't grant an incremental upgrade at an efficient pace, then it is irredeemable regardless of many friendships it may create, or thoughtful plot arcs it may supply. Real gamers know that those get in the way of exp-per-hour or statistical progress, and that they must be silenced faster than a masterful orchestral piece that starts up when Vent is turned on.

I hope the sarcasm is evident...
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#31 Jun 22 2011 at 9:03 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,949 posts
Kanekitty wrote:
I hope the sarcasm is evident...

Is it sarcasm, or are you simply making an educated description of the average MMO player's attitude? I could swear you were doing the later...
____________________________
FFXIV: Cloe Delisle Scholar, officer of the SWAGGER Free company, Sargatanas server.
#32 Jun 22 2011 at 9:12 PM Rating: Good
***
3,530 posts
Docent42 wrote:
Kanekitty wrote:
I hope the sarcasm is evident...

Is it sarcasm, or are you simply making an educated description of the average MMO player's attitude? I could swear you were doing the later...


I hope not... but now you've made me sad. XD
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#33 Jun 23 2011 at 12:39 AM Rating: Good
****
4,153 posts
Docent42 wrote:
Kanekitty wrote:
I hope the sarcasm is evident...

Is it sarcasm, or are you simply making an educated description of the average MMO player's attitude? I could swear you were doing the later...

I was laughing hard up until I read that too, then I started to tear up myself ; ;
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#34 Jun 23 2011 at 9:20 AM Rating: Excellent
KaneKitty wrote:
FilthMcNasty wrote:
I didn't really mind that the reward wasn't amazing. I was rewarded by meeting people and having fun, which seems like the point of games to me. I met some of the closest friends I had in FFXI doing quests and missions like these.


You clearly don't understand how a game is supposed to work. These days, games are about the never-ending achievement of incremental upgrades at the cost of storyline, unique mechanics, immersion, (and most importantly) courtesy to others, and social interaction.

If something in a game doesn't grant an incremental upgrade at an efficient pace, then it is irredeemable regardless of many friendships it may create, or thoughtful plot arcs it may supply. Real gamers know that those get in the way of exp-per-hour or statistical progress, and that they must be silenced faster than a masterful orchestral piece that starts up when Vent is turned on.

I hope the sarcasm is evident...


Very thought provoking. You make an excellent point here that deserves attention.

You are quite right that any new content that does not offer a character upgrade, for my character, is considered useless.

Even if you were being sarcastic I think this is something that deserves consideration.
#35 Jun 23 2011 at 10:36 AM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
FilthMcNasty wrote:
XI was a time sink kind of game anyway so I didn't really mind that the reward wasn't amazing. I was rewarded by meeting people and having fun, which seems like the point of games to me. I met some of the closest friends I had in FFXI doing quests and missions like these.


Well said!

I just don't understand why games can't offer both. Why CAN'T we have a great storyline, group up with people, make friendships, AND progress our characters in a meaningful way?
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#36 Jun 23 2011 at 11:33 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
BartelX wrote:
FilthMcNasty wrote:
XI was a time sink kind of game anyway so I didn't really mind that the reward wasn't amazing. I was rewarded by meeting people and having fun, which seems like the point of games to me. I met some of the closest friends I had in FFXI doing quests and missions like these.


Well said!

I just don't understand why games can't offer both. Why CAN'T we have a great storyline, group up with people, make friendships, AND progress our characters in a meaningful way?


Because that would be too hard?
____________________________


"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
#37 Jun 23 2011 at 3:08 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
351 posts
KaneKitty wrote:
You clearly don't understand how a game is supposed to work. These days, games are about the never-ending achievement of incremental upgrades at the cost of storyline, unique mechanics, immersion, (and most importantly) courtesy to others, and social interaction.

If something in a game doesn't grant an incremental upgrade at an efficient pace, then it is irredeemable regardless of many friendships it may create, or thoughtful plot arcs it may supply. Real gamers know that those get in the way of exp-per-hour or statistical progress, and that they must be silenced faster than a masterful orchestral piece that starts up when Vent is turned on.

I hope the sarcasm is evident...


This reminds me a lot of Zero Punctuation's description of the futility of MMOs in his critique of WoW: Cataclysm and why he had to run away from it.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/2634-World-of-Warcraft-Cataclysm
#38 Jun 24 2011 at 2:05 AM Rating: Good
*****
11,576 posts
The best thing about walking away from the game is not being concerned about how long it takes to fix it.

Working mostly in renovations, I can tell you it can take a lot longer to fix or change something than it usually does to build it new. When you build something from scratch, you don't have to examine what already exists to make sure you understand it. You don't have to plan how to integrate your changes with the bigger picture. You don't have to make things match what is already there. You get a lot more freedom to make choices as opposed to a relentless stream of, "This would be really cool except..."

I'm surprised there are still people kvetching about how long it's taking to "fix" FFXIV. Anyone clinging to the notion that FFXIV will be anywhere near a competitive MMO in the next year is tragically naive. Take a look at other MMOs on the market...months go into developing new content in games that DON'T require that the devs go back and revamp major design elements. Nobody is surprised to find out that MMO <x> took five years to develop, yet they're somehow shocked that a horrifically botched game can't be corrected in a matter of months.

I would expect that a year from now, FFXIV will start to look like the game we should have been seeing when it was first announced two years ago. A year from now, if everyone checking in on it can set aside their lingering disappointment and cynicism, the game might look like it has promise. It's still not going to look like a finished product. It's going to look like SWTOR and GW2...unfinished games with potential undergoing the finishing elements before launch...which might be another 6-12 months off.

At this point, I'm more surprised to see people posting to say they've come back than more "I quit" posts. If anything, the only surprising thing about another "I quit" post at this stage is that it has taken anyone this long to make the decision.
#39 Jun 24 2011 at 5:44 AM Rating: Default
***
1,408 posts
SolomonGrundy wrote:
TonberyHunter wrote:
As i have demonstrated on multiple instances do tend to defend SE, how ever i do not think i can do that at this point. i was looking through the XI site out of nostalgia, and as i was looking back i noted something. Something that utterly made me reconsider my position. In the time frame from XIV's launch till now, XI has become a new game in it's own accord. While XIV has not even left the gate, which brings more questions than answers. Why is SE back burning XIV? Why are they turning a blind eye to the game? What the **** are you thinking SE?

Sure there's hope in the patch coming up but really, it's 2 months over do. Looking the path SE is following, this game stands no chance. Unless SE starts giving more a "meh" for this game, the little work put in to it will be in vain. All the cards, excuses, and thin tricks are all used up.

Long story short, i quit XIV. There's nothing now, or in the near future that will happen to turn things around. Only thing i can see that will change or overrule this decision is if by the one year mark SE buts up the this game is complete banner and the statement is legit.

Edited, Jun 21st 2011 10:18am by TonberyHunter


Caio, here's hoping the door hits your *** on the way out.


Yeap! :)

Sorry but XIV is different among many things, XI they have reused a lot of old dats and altered them slightly for Abyss. As a result we have tons of NMs and 9 Zones to pretty much do stuff. Adding content based on that is much easier and quicker, then they tweak a few other things like FOV etc and even then they still make some tweaks over the months.

XIV is a start from scratch game, any content added is starting from scratch up they can't simply use the original dats if they do not exist. They can use the same art work (Like the goblin) but they still have to make a high res version so it looks like XIV and not XI. And the fact its a high res game means they have to give more time on the details, unless you want all the content you want just reusing the same dats XIV/XI uses?

If your not happy with the game do what I am doing, shut up complaining, leave and return ina years time. I was smart - I did not quit XI, I kept the account and played both. I agreed with all the slating XIV got upon release (We dont need to hear that any more SE have realised what they did wrong and moaning is getting no where).

End result is, quit dont come back, quit come back later or just stomach it. I signed in the other day to have a peak and well I was impressed with the work done and cant wait till the next patch.
____________________________


If my velocity starts to make you sweat, then just don't
let go
#40 Jun 24 2011 at 6:34 AM Rating: Decent
Well for me this "i quit because the game doesnt have a 'completed' banner yet" has actually been very informative.
You say that there is no point for "I quit" posts but I whole heartedly disagree.
I quit a few months ago and have been coming back to the forums now and then to see what is happening...
And to be honest, I am sad to see that very little has happened.

I logged on in the beginning of June (JUNE!!!) for 5 minutes, ran around for a bit and logged off.
Seeing people still quitting the game because it's pretty much same what it was 9 months ago tells me that there is no point to install the *cough*updates*cough* again as it would still probably be as lame to me as it was before.

When the "I quit" threads stop, then maybe I come back to 14... maybe.

AND HI HUGUS! How's it going! :)
I'm kicking *** on FFXI again, fun times!
____________________________

This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 20 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (20)