Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

My FFXIV Job System Idea, feedback please?Follow

#1 Jun 28 2011 at 9:14 AM Rating: Decent
12 posts
View the Image (I couldn't embed it =/)

I'll start off by saying this system is based on FF Tactics A2 and FFXI. Instead of renaming the existing classes and reworking them I propose they become precursor and subjobs to pre-existing classes from other FF titles. Each class gives you the option to become ONE of the 2 available primary jobs.The primary jobs would have a 2 hour, passive traits, and new spells/abilities while the existing classes will remain the same and serve as subjobs for the new primary jobs. Being only allowed to chose one of the primary jobs for each class creates a nice feeling of character definition and gives players a reason to want to create a secondary character in the future.

    *The classes in blue are from FF Tactics A2 and would play the in similar fashion.

    *The class in red I made up, it would essentially be an FFXI paladin with a great sword in which he can tank with a high parry rate (using the broad blade as a shield) and gladiator sub but also be able to deal good two handed style damage by switching to maurader sub.

    *Beast Master would focus on a ranged weapon (rifle) with a pet (similar to a wow hunter) as opposed to axes to fit the archer tree.

    *Some class abilities such as marauder axe only abilities should be reworded to two handed weapon to increase versatility of classes as subjobs.

    *The ??? are for square to figure out I got nothing. ~_~

    *BLM being there twice is not an accident.

    *Gladiators main weapon becomes shield to allow red mage to take sword.


I also propose that the level cap remain 50 for classes but be set to 100 for primary jobs in order to avoid players being upset at having leveled subjobs to level 50. Although you can level to 100 your stats would be caped at 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, and would require a limit break similiar to FFXI. At level 100 the FFXI merit would make a triumphant return (in an expansion I'd suggest). Stat cap breaks could be released with expansions it doesn't all have to be available from the get go, so players can experience stat caped content at say 70 until the next expansion releases and brings the stat cap to level 80 along with content for that specific cap.

With this system players would never be bored, leveling multiple jobs to 100 and meriting them despite being stat caped while awaiting the release of new content. Casual players would still be able to play with their higher level friends as the stat cap would make the difference between a level 100 and a 60 negligible (just the merits). This also gives FFXIV a whopping 26 traditional MMO style classes (9 classes 17 primary jobs)

It would differ from FFXI in that you can still change your class on the field by changing your weapon. Each class branch leads to one primary job with the same weapon and one with a different. the class with the same weapon as its primary job is overwritten; so you wouldn't be able to change to an archer on the field if you chose ranger but you'd still be able to select archer as a sub job at the subjob selecting place (mog house?). Overwriting a class is like upgrading it, it's how you remain the same class but with a two hour, passives, etc.

Additionally a player should be able to tie a subjob (class) to a primary job. so if I'm out on the field as DRK/MRD by having a scythe equipped and I switch weapons to a Staff I would become a BLM/CON (because CON is what I set as a subjob to my BLM job in my mog house) instead of being stuck out there as BLM/MRD. Setting subjobs would not be permanent the player would be able to change it at will (in the mog house).

It also differs from FFXI in that you can't have a character with all jobs max level because you can only go down one branch path for each class.

I would suggest scrapping the whole taking (almost) any spell/ability from (almost) any class thing but if you must insit on keeping it I would suggest that by selecting you subjob you benifit from 100% affinity/effectivness with the spells/abilites asosciated with it and only 50% (maybe 60 or 70 percent) affinity/effectiveness from using spells/abilites from a class that is not currently selected as your subjob.

What do you guys think? Any questions?

Edit: I was inspired by this thread but I can't post there yet. http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/14787-So..Lets-talk-jobs

Edited, Jun 28th 2011 11:17am by anon06

Edited, Jun 28th 2011 11:19am by anon06

Edited, Jun 28th 2011 11:49am by anon06

Edited, Jun 28th 2011 12:51pm by anon06

Edited, Jun 28th 2011 6:16pm by anon06

Edited, Jun 28th 2011 6:20pm by anon06
#2 Jun 28 2011 at 9:28 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
437 posts
"It also differs from FFXI in that you can't have a character with all jobs max level because you can only go down one branch path for each class."

I hate that, its very anti FF for me.
____________________________

Metin - Phoenix - BLM75 WHM48 Retired

http://cojenova.enjin.com/ff14forum

#3 Jun 28 2011 at 9:39 AM Rating: Good
12 posts
yeah I agree its not very ff like but character definition isn't bad in my book, it would be nice to have rareish jobs or sought after jobs. To feel a bit unique knowing not every single person is just a clone of you, to have weight attached to your actions. Helps diversify.

Edited, Jun 28th 2011 11:46am by anon06
#4 Jun 28 2011 at 10:07 AM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
Metin wrote:
"It also differs from FFXI in that you can't have a character with all jobs max level because you can only go down one branch path for each class."

I hate that, its very anti FF for me.


It's funny because I was going to respond to this with that exact same quote with almost that exact same response. Couldn't agree more.
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#5 Jun 28 2011 at 10:14 AM Rating: Good
******
48,708 posts
Huh, I wasn't aware that people considered Final Fantasy 3, Final Fantasy 5 and Final Fantasy Tactics anti-FF. I guess to a degree Final Fantasy 7 would be anti-FF as well, since you could eventually have all characters with all abilities and spells.

Edited, Jun 28th 2011 12:14pm by lolgaxe
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#6 Jun 28 2011 at 10:20 AM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
Huh, I wasn't aware that people considered Final Fantasy 3, Final Fantasy 5 and Final Fantasy Tactics anti-FF. I guess to a degree Final Fantasy 7 would be anti-FF as well, since you could eventually have all characters with all abilities and spells.

Edited, Jun 28th 2011 12:14pm by lolgaxe


Am I missing something here? I was pretty sure that in every other FF game, you have the ability to level every class on a single playthrough should you choose. It might take multiple characters to do so, but the option is still there. Being forced to only choose 1 option seems more like something you'd find in WoW, but even with WoW you can unlock a second path if you pay the gold for it.
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#7 Jun 28 2011 at 10:25 AM Rating: Good
******
48,708 posts
Not every other, in fact several Final Fantasy you're locked into one job.

Saying something is anti-FF is ridiculous, because there isn't a broad enough archetype for the franchise to have a basis to say something isn't like it as far as job systems are concerned.

To simplify: Final Fantasy without chocobos and Cid would be anti-FF. Final Fantasy with different job system, par for the course.

Edited, Jun 28th 2011 12:29pm by lolgaxe
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#8 Jun 28 2011 at 10:44 AM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
Not every other, in fact several Final Fantasy you're locked into one job.

Saying something is anti-FF is ridiculous, because there isn't a broad enough archetype for the franchise to have a basis to say something isn't like it as far as job systems are concerned.

To simplify: Final Fantasy without chocobos and Cid would be anti-FF. Final Fantasy with different job system, par for the course.

Edited, Jun 28th 2011 12:29pm by lolgaxe


I'm more confused by the games you referenced. In Tactics, you can unlock every job in 1 playthrough, just as you can in FF7. I honestly don't remember 3 and 5 very well so I can't comment on those, so perhaps that is what you mean? Regardless, in the vast majority of FF games, you have the ability to play as all classes in a single playthrough (not necessarily on 1 character). So while "anti-FF" might be a tad harsh, the gist of it is relatively accurate.
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#9 Jun 28 2011 at 10:45 AM Rating: Good
12 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
Not every other, in fact several Final Fantasy you're locked into one job.

Saying something is anti-FF is ridiculous, because there isn't a broad enough archetype for the franchise to have a basis to say something isn't like it as far as job systems are concerned.

To simplify: Final Fantasy without chocobos and Cid would be anti-FF. Final Fantasy with different job system, par for the course.

Edited, Jun 28th 2011 12:29pm by lolgaxe

I think you worded your first post wrong and caused some confusion, but I see what you're saying; locking people into on job should not be considered unlike ff because several do, I didn't know that as iv only played XI and tactics. So i guess there's no real problem with my system then. :D

Edited, Jun 28th 2011 12:54pm by anon06

Edited, Jun 28th 2011 12:54pm by anon06
#10 Jun 28 2011 at 10:55 AM Rating: Excellent
******
48,708 posts
Bad wording on my behalf.

Vast majority is wrong, though. 1, 2, 4, 9 and depending how you look at it 10 are easily identifiably with single job systems, while 6, 7, 8, 12, and 14 didn't have a noticeable job system at all, and 3, 5, 11, 13, and if you include it 10-2 had all job.

End of the day, I'm just sayin' that one job system is as legitimately Final Fantasy as the next.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#11 Jun 28 2011 at 11:11 AM Rating: Decent
*
215 posts
My only complaint is I feel your idea reminds me of FF11 TOO much. And I think Sub jobs are seriously flawed (cuz in reality, there's really only ONE right subjob...maybe a 2nd one on super special cases).

And only one job isn't Anti-FF, that whole statement confuses me. In other FF's you may have other characters with different classes, but even then you might be restricted to 4 characters in a party. And thats still not you changing classes and leveling each one like FF11...so that whole thing confused me. Even with the OP's described system, you could easily implement a way to go BACK in the path you choose and choose a new path if you really wanted to try them all. (I think WoW has this feature, I'm not really sure though).
#12 Jun 28 2011 at 11:35 AM Rating: Good
12 posts
zuogehaomeng wrote:
My only complaint is I feel your idea reminds me of FF11 TOO much. And I think Sub jobs are seriously flawed (cuz in reality, there's really only ONE right subjob...maybe a 2nd one on super special cases).

And only one job isn't Anti-FF, that whole statement confuses me. In other FF's you may have other characters with different classes, but even then you might be restricted to 4 characters in a party. And thats still not you changing classes and leveling each one like FF11...so that whole thing confused me. Even with the OP's described system, you could easily implement a way to go BACK in the path you choose and choose a new path if you really wanted to try them all. (I think WoW has this feature, I'm not really sure though).


yeah the sub job thing is somewhat true at the moment but it can be easily remedied by fixing the wording on the starting classes like I suggested with marauder if you remove the "requires x weapon" tag then most classes become viable. I don't know why the existing classes even have such limitations because if you switch weapons you switch class, and to avoid the sharing part it should say marauder only, which in my book wouldn't hinder it as subjob because you're part marauder. Also Parivir uses elemental weapon abilities that would be great on any two hander class so most classes would have 2 options (parivir and marauder)and of course I wouldn't limit it to katanas only. =P


edit: also it is very similar to FFXI but what can I say its a good game and this system is an evolved form of it, making it better in my opinion by allowing flexibility on the field and creating a more diverse job dispersion between the population. also the merits could increase affinity allowing you to borrow moves from other classes that are not currently your subjob at full or near full potential making you be like 2 job and little bit more. but that's up to square.

Edited, Jun 28th 2011 1:41pm by anon06
#13 Jun 28 2011 at 11:39 AM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
Bad wording on my behalf.

Vast majority is wrong, though. 1, 2, 4, 9 and depending how you look at it 10 are easily identifiably with single job systems, while 6, 7, 8, 12, and 14 didn't have a noticeable job system at all, and 3, 5, 11, 13, and if you include it 10-2 had all job.

End of the day, I'm just sayin' that one job system is as legitimately Final Fantasy as the next.


I guess it's a matter of perspective really. While you say "single job system" for that first group, that is the group I'm considering where you can still level all jobs, its just that there is an individual character for each. However, they can all be leveled within the same playthrough with the same group.

And for the non-job games, there are still distinctive class builds, they are just more open-ended so that any player can mix and match. But actually, 6 had pretty defined jobs (locke thf, celes whm, sabin mnk, etc.

I do see your point, I just happen to think that for an mmo the idea of a 1-job system seems a bit limiting, but I guess that's coming more from a FFXI perspective than anything else.
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#14 Jun 28 2011 at 11:43 AM Rating: Good
12 posts
BartelX wrote:

I do see your point, I just happen to think that for an mmo the idea of a 1-job system seems a bit limiting, but I guess that's coming more from a FFXI perspective than anything else.


wait wait wait, you don't mean 1 flat job ever period right? you can be 1 job from each class, so 1 character in my system can be a total of 9 primary jobs just not all 17.

Edited, Jun 28th 2011 1:44pm by anon06

Edited, Jun 28th 2011 1:45pm by anon06

Edited, Jun 28th 2011 1:46pm by anon06
#15 Jun 28 2011 at 11:48 AM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
No, I got what you meant. I just like the idea of unlocking those jobs and then being able to play either of them. Personally, I'd love it if there were 3-4 paths for each class, and they somehow made a way that most of the classes could tank, DD, or heal through each one. So, somewhat like WoW, but without being limited to 1 talent tree/job.
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#16 Jun 28 2011 at 11:55 AM Rating: Good
12 posts
ah ok good :D, I had 3/4 branches for each DoM originally, but condensed it down by moving rdm out, who ever came up with DoM really made a mess of things it's so hard to set their branches since they are a little of everything. Sorry; you mentioning 4 branches made me think of that but it's hardly related to what you said. XD
#17 Jun 28 2011 at 12:40 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
437 posts
I would uphold 6 and 7 as prime examples to back up my point. Its not just the job one character can have a skill that others don't thats ok but really what I meant was more the locking down of other options. 6, anyone learning from any esper you care to equip them and 7, anyone having any materia you care to equip them with. Aside from a few minor things (limit break skill or other skill in those examples) each character was basically mouldable in any way you wanted and in the end any was capable of anything, titles that dont do this never seem to be as good in my book.
Anti-FF? I suppose not then I just posted quickly to get in there first :P and Cid didnt make an appearance in any FF for a while did he? not sure off top of my head
____________________________

Metin - Phoenix - BLM75 WHM48 Retired

http://cojenova.enjin.com/ff14forum

#18 Jun 28 2011 at 8:38 PM Rating: Decent
***
3,530 posts
anon06 wrote:
*The class in red I made up, it would essentially be an FFXI paladin with a great sword

Templar is a job is Tactics A2. XD

anon06 wrote:
*Beast Master would focus on a ranged weapon (rifle) with a pet (similar to a wow hunter) as opposed to axes to fit the archer tree.

Just what any game needs... WoW Hunters.

anon06 wrote:
*BLM being there twice is not an accident.

So.. those classes just have to share jobs, then? That really doesn't make sense.

anon06 wrote:
*Gladiators main weapon becomes shield to allow red mage to take sword.

You're fine with adding all this to the game, but not with adding two different kinds of sword?

anon06 wrote:
I also propose that the level cap remain 50 for classes but be set to 100 for primary jobs in order to avoid players being upset at having leveled subjobs to level 50. Although you can level to 100 your stats would be caped at 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, and would require a limit break similiar to FFXI. At level 100 the FFXI merit would make a triumphant return (in an expansion I'd suggest). Stat cap breaks could be released with expansions it doesn't all have to be available from the get go, so players can experience stat caped content at say 70 until the next expansion releases and brings the stat cap to level 80 along with content for that specific cap.

I honestly do not think you're qualified to balance an entire MMORPG.

anon06 wrote:
With this system players would never be bored...the difference between a level 100 and a 60 negligible

Making leveling almost pointless leads to people never becoming bored with doing it? o_O

Conclusion: you have lots of ideas, at least, but there's no way you understand the damage formulas and stat equations enough to make any technical statements about the direction the game should go. I sure wouldn't want to see a majority of your ideas be implemented, but at least they're not much worse than how FFXIV is now; at least they have more dignity than some suggestions I've heard...
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#19 Jun 28 2011 at 8:55 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,235 posts
Dear OP,

I honestly don't think the Dev team is going to rewrite their code and concepts for the class/job system they have due to any players grand perfect design. You should probably save that brainpower for figuring out what they HAVE already designed and are about to release when the time comes.

Also this....
KaneKitty wrote:
Quote:
I honestly do not think you're qualified to balance an entire MMORPG
____________________________


"Don't take it personally man, white knights would eat a can of **** if the label said SE on it. If anyone dared mention that it was not a good product, they'd just argue if someone can't appreciate the subtle nuances in the ****, they should just go back to eating lolrealfood, cuz the devs prolly know more about canning food than they do."
#20 Jun 28 2011 at 9:10 PM Rating: Decent
4 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
Bad wording on my behalf.

Vast majority is wrong, though. 1, 2, 4, 9 and depending how you look at it 10 are easily identifiably with single job systems, while 6, 7, 8, 12, and 14 didn't have a noticeable job system at all, and 3, 5, 11, 13, and if you include it 10-2 had all job.

End of the day, I'm just sayin' that one job system is as legitimately Final Fantasy as the next.


I think i understand what they are getting at with the not being locked out of any job in any ff game. When you think of all the other FF games, other then 11, they where all single player games. So when you think of them from the single player aspect your actually playing all the classes in the game if you choose to level every character. Now in 11 you had 1 character that could level all the jobs, and in 14 it would be weird to not be able to do the same. Single player games the entire party is you, so your leveling all the classes, mmo you only have 1 character so you should be able to level all calls via that character. So really vast majority would be correct since no one else is leveling your party members for you in all the single player games.
#21 Jun 28 2011 at 11:02 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
351 posts
anon06 wrote:
What do you guys think? Any questions?


When you get right down to it, job names, and weapons, and all that are just for show. What's really important is defining the roles people will play when they're in a party.

The complaint people have with FFXIV is that all the class roles overlap and start to become indistinguishable (everyone can cure, everyone can tank, everyone can deal damage, everyone can wear any type of armor). Jobs are meant to provide the structure and uniqueness the classes don't offer.

First, however, you need to start with the roles you envision people playing (and the functions that are unique to those roles) and then define the jobs needed to fulfill those roles. Starting with the jobs first is like giving an answer when you haven't even heard the question.
#22 Jun 29 2011 at 9:24 AM Rating: Decent
12 posts
KaneKitty wrote:
anon06 wrote:
*The class in red I made up, it would essentially be an FFXI paladin with a great sword

Templar is a job is Tactics A2. XD

anon06 wrote:
*Beast Master would focus on a ranged weapon (rifle) with a pet (similar to a wow hunter) as opposed to axes to fit the archer tree.

Just what any game needs... WoW Hunters.

anon06 wrote:
*BLM being there twice is not an accident.

So.. those classes just have to share jobs, then? That really doesn't make sense.

anon06 wrote:
*Gladiators main weapon becomes shield to allow red mage to take sword.

You're fine with adding all this to the game, but not with adding two different kinds of sword?

anon06 wrote:
I also propose that the level cap remain 50 for classes but be set to 100 for primary jobs in order to avoid players being upset at having leveled subjobs to level 50. Although you can level to 100 your stats would be caped at 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, and would require a limit break similiar to FFXI. At level 100 the FFXI merit would make a triumphant return (in an expansion I'd suggest). Stat cap breaks could be released with expansions it doesn't all have to be available from the get go, so players can experience stat caped content at say 70 until the next expansion releases and brings the stat cap to level 80 along with content for that specific cap.

I honestly do not think you're qualified to balance an entire MMORPG.

anon06 wrote:
With this system players would never be bored...the difference between a level 100 and a 60 negligible

Making leveling almost pointless leads to people never becoming bored with doing it? o_O

Conclusion: you have lots of ideas, at least, but there's no way you understand the damage formulas and stat equations enough to make any technical statements about the direction the game should go. I sure wouldn't want to see a majority of your ideas be implemented, but at least they're not much worse than how FFXIV is now; at least they have more dignity than some suggestions I've heard...





Yes, Templar was a class but only the name is borrowed because it's paladin-like, they played with spears and one handed swords in tactics; more like a dragoon.

What's wrong with giving bst a ranged attack? it just needed to fit the archer tree. would you like to level a ranged class then have it change to melee or worse bard?

BLM being there twice lets you choose more, if you choose blm on your Thaumaturge then you're free to whm on your conjurer. its also there because both classes have stolen parts from blm.

Leveling up past 60 would be optional (until content is released and the cap is bumped) some people like grind parties and some people OCD over maxing things out or would you prefer being stuck at 50 like you are now with out the option?

Well I don't mean to be rude but I feel I'm as equally qualified as anybody else; I playgames 24/7, learn them master them, love them. developers just make them and are out of touch with the community due to their busy schedules (most have to work overtime w/o getting payed). secondly since when do you have to be qualified to suggest an idea? I'm not proposing a scientific theory here. lastly if you want to play it like that, what makes you qualified to say I'm not qualified? oh right nothing. its an idea/suggestion/personal opinion and constructive criticism is what I asked for, not for my good intentions to be picked apart by saying something along the lines of; who the **** are you?!??! A nobody that's who!.

Edit: by your logic you have to have invented football to understand it, playing it isn't enough.

What do damage formulas have to do with anything? I didn't suggest any changes to them or the battle mechanics of the game... just some class restructuring. (which I feel is justified as they're still working on them and are having a bit of trouble according to the recent interview)

well at least you didn't leave off on a sour note.


Edited, Jun 29th 2011 11:28am by anon06

Edited, Jun 29th 2011 11:37am by anon06

Edited, Jun 29th 2011 11:38am by anon06

Edited, Jun 29th 2011 11:45am by anon06

Edited, Jun 29th 2011 12:27pm by anon06
#23 Jun 29 2011 at 9:30 AM Rating: Decent
12 posts
Restyoneck wrote:
Dear OP,

I honestly don't think the Dev team is going to rewrite their code and concepts for the class/job system they have due to any players grand perfect design. You should probably save that brainpower for figuring out what they HAVE already designed and are about to release when the time comes.


I'm guessing you're not at all aware an overhaul of the class system is incoming huh?

Edited, Jun 29th 2011 11:33am by anon06
#24 Jun 29 2011 at 10:26 AM Rating: Good
**
557 posts
The one thing that's anti-FF is having only one character--only 1 of 13 previous FF numbered titles let you control only one character.
____________________________


#25 Jun 29 2011 at 10:38 AM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
I didn't realize someone needed qualifications to post an idea on the forums. O.o
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#26 Jun 29 2011 at 10:55 AM Rating: Decent
***
3,530 posts
anon06 wrote:
What's wrong with giving bst a ranged attack? it just needed to fit the archer tree. would you like to level a ranged class then have it change to melee or worse bard?

I'd like it a lot; it'd be like Archer >>> Bard in RO. It's not like I couldn't switch back to a different class if I wanted to melee, anyway.

anon06 wrote:
BLM being there twice lets you choose more, if you choose blm on your Thaumaturge then you're free to whm on your conjurer. its also there because both classes have stolen parts from blm.

It doesn't let you choose more, it allows two classes to have three jobs between them, which is less than other classes in your system.

anon06 wrote:
Leveling up past 60 would be optional (until content is released and the cap is bumped) some people like grind parties and some people OCD over maxing things out or would you prefer being stuck at 50 like you are now with out the option?

You're asking whether I'd rather be stuck at 50 or able to pointlessly grind? Well, since the last 40 levels in your system are "negligible" (in your own words), I'd certainly rather be stuck at 50!

anon06 wrote:
Well I don't mean to be rude but I feel I'm as equally qualified as anybody else; I playgames 24/7

But you're not... playing a game does not make you qualified to alter the mathematics and equations behind it. You propose various levels of capped stats, but you clearly just arbitrarily toss them out in multiples of ten; you make levels go to 100, an you cap stats "at 50, 60, 70, 80, 90."

anon06 wrote:
by your logic you have to have invented football to understand it, playing it isn't enough.

Let's stay away from analogies for this discussion. By my logic, I'm saying that you'd need to know the relevant level/balancing/statistical equations in order to implement effective changes to those areas of the game.

anon06 wrote:
What do damage formulas have to do with anything?

I think the fact that you don't think these are important shows that you play games, not make them, and characterizes the limitations of those kinds of qualifications.

Most importantly, though, as someone else pointed out, you're only changing superficial aspects of the game. You're assigning weapons and class names, you're choosing arbitrary level caps and suggesting a way to double the level cap, but you're doing so without any regard to class roles, abilities, and balancing issues. Your job system, at this point, amounts to early sketches of unformed ideas; of things like, say, why you think a Beastmaster should resemble WoW's Hunter, or why a Gladiator should have to use a Shield as their main weapon. As you said, you "play games 24/7," and that is how you've designed this: from the perspective of someone who only plays, who interacts merely with the surface elements of the game.


Edited, Jun 29th 2011 1:04pm by KaneKitty
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#27 Jun 29 2011 at 11:30 AM Rating: Decent
12 posts
KaneKitty wrote:

anon06 wrote:
by your logic you have to have invented football to understand it, playing it isn't enough.

Let's stay away from analogies for this discussion. By my logic, I'm saying that you'd need to know the relevant level/balancing/statistical equations in order to implement effective changes to those areas of the game.


Um stay away from analogies because you're logic and arguments are fundamentally flawed? I did not try to rewrite stat formulas or even suggest any. What I suggested, since you can't figure it out by yourself, is for the Developers to cap stats in relation to the strength of the content they have out at the time. It's an example and explanation as to why being level 100 against say level 75 mobs wouldn't be ridiculous. It does not require it to be in multiples of ten.

By this point it's blatantly obvious you're a troll; because you can't seriously be that incompetent and arrogant.
#28 Jun 29 2011 at 1:24 PM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
KaneKitty wrote:
Let's stay away from analogies for this discussion. By my logic, I'm saying that you'd need to know the relevant level/balancing/statistical equations in order to implement effective changes to those areas of the game.


Sorry, but what relevance do these equations have to making an idea? I'm going to side with the OP on this, it's an idea. He doesn't need a degree in game design or programming to come up with it, and he doesn't need to write a thesis about damage equations to back it up. I think we're all well aware this system ISN'T what's going into the game, but it's always fun to speculate and come up with ideas.

Edited, Jun 29th 2011 3:26pm by BartelX
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#29 Jun 29 2011 at 3:35 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,235 posts
anon06 wrote:
Restyoneck wrote:
Dear OP,

I honestly don't think the Dev team is going to rewrite their code and concepts for the class/job system they have due to any players grand perfect design. You should probably save that brainpower for figuring out what they HAVE already designed and are about to release when the time comes.


I'm guessing you're not at all aware an overhaul of the class system is incoming huh?

Edited, Jun 29th 2011 11:33am by anon06


I'm guessing you're not at all aware that they teach reading comprehenion in school huh?

Edited, Jun 29th 2011 5:36pm by Restyoneck
____________________________


"Don't take it personally man, white knights would eat a can of **** if the label said SE on it. If anyone dared mention that it was not a good product, they'd just argue if someone can't appreciate the subtle nuances in the ****, they should just go back to eating lolrealfood, cuz the devs prolly know more about canning food than they do."
#30 Jun 29 2011 at 4:21 PM Rating: Good
***
3,530 posts
BartelX wrote:
He doesn't need a degree in game design or programming to come up with it, and he doesn't need to write a thesis about damage equations to back it up.


That's a rather large exaggeration, because I certainly never asked for those things. o_O

Regardless, the OP forwarded an idea and asked for feedback about its specific points. I gave it to him/her, identified what I thought were the largest holes, and tried to end a little bit constructively. It's fine if you disagree with me (we tend to agree on other issues), but the point of feedback is not so much to argue about it as to take it into consideration and dismiss or accept it.

To OP: if you thought your idea was finished, then there's no need to for feedback. Either way, don't stop forwarding ideas just because of me, especially if nobody else sees any problems with your suggestions.
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#31 Jun 29 2011 at 4:26 PM Rating: Default
12 posts
Restyoneck wrote:

I'm guessing you're not at all aware an overhaul of the class system is incoming huh?


comprehension* I could make a joke about teaching spelling in school for vengeance! but you're right my mistake. though they don't seem to have gotten as far as you think. they still don't even know what to do with a few classes and have been busy on the auto attack patch so there's still time! not that they'd actually implement this according to everyone.
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 21 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (21)