Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Buddy PassFollow

#1 Jul 05 2011 at 1:30 PM Rating: Sub-Default
24 posts
I don't know if it's proper asking here but does anyone have a buddy pass? I want to try this game out before buying it but the only way to get a free trial seems to be through this buddy pass system.

Thanks
____________________________
[Retired]PLD:http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?89344
PLD50/WAR25/NIN/BLM41/SMN21/WHM11/DRK9/THF7/SAM7
World of Warcraft:
Server: Skullcrusher
lv60 Tauren Hunter // lv60 Troll Shaman // lv44 Warlock
#2 Jul 05 2011 at 3:53 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
240 posts
No need for a free trial since the game is free to play for now.
#3 Jul 05 2011 at 3:54 PM Rating: Decent
*
124 posts
blueazaka wrote:
No need for a free trial since the game is free to play for now.


Whoa, everyone can just play for free? I thought you had to purchase the game to play it for free.
____________________________
Blynk [Gilgamesh] Blynk [Bodhum]
#4 Jul 05 2011 at 3:56 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,566 posts
Honestly, you won't be trying the same game now that will be available by the end of the summer.

Might as well just hold out. If you end up liking it as is, you'll likely be upset by the coming changes. If you don't like it, you'll have a tainted opinion and likely not give it a try when they're ready to admit the game exists again.

Plus, buddy passes are very rare as they were only from the Collector's Edition. Any that are around are probably being kept for a specific reason.
#5 Jul 05 2011 at 4:01 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
240 posts
BlynkTheSneak wrote:
blueazaka wrote:
No need for a free trial since the game is free to play for now.


Whoa, everyone can just play for free? I thought you had to purchase the game to play it for free.

If he downloaded it illegally then yes he has the game for free and wants the buddy pass so he doesn't have to buy a game code. He said:

Undertakerrii wrote:
the only way to get a free trial seems to be through this buddy pass system

So that means there is no need for a free trial since the game is free to play for now.

#6 Jul 05 2011 at 4:04 PM Rating: Good
*
124 posts
But how do you use the downloaded client to play when you don't have the registration/buddy pass code? I thought that had to be linked to your Square-Enix account.
____________________________
Blynk [Gilgamesh] Blynk [Bodhum]
#7 Jul 05 2011 at 4:12 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
240 posts
BlynkTheSneak wrote:
But how do you use the downloaded client to play when you don't have the registration/buddy pass code? I thought that had to be linked to your Square-Enix account.

I think they torrent all of the updates. I bought the game so I'm not 100% sure. What happened to the Buddy Pass Request quarantine thread?
#8 Jul 05 2011 at 4:28 PM Rating: Default
24 posts
I can install the game with a copy my friend has but I can't register the game to my square enix account without a code. I just want to try out the game before I buy it.
____________________________
[Retired]PLD:http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?89344
PLD50/WAR25/NIN/BLM41/SMN21/WHM11/DRK9/THF7/SAM7
World of Warcraft:
Server: Skullcrusher
lv60 Tauren Hunter // lv60 Troll Shaman // lv44 Warlock
#9 Jul 05 2011 at 5:36 PM Rating: Excellent
**
929 posts
blueazaka wrote:
BlynkTheSneak wrote:
But how do you use the downloaded client to play when you don't have the registration/buddy pass code? I thought that had to be linked to your Square-Enix account.

I think they torrent all of the updates. I bought the game so I'm not 100% sure. What happened to the Buddy Pass Request quarantine thread?


It was locked and un-sticked probably because no one was replying with 'here i have a code for you' and the admins try to limit the no of stickies at the forum top.

Undertakerrii wrote:
I can install the game with a copy my friend has but I can't register the game to my square enix account without a code. I just want to try out the game before I buy it.


Buddy Pass Frequently Asked Questions:

What is a Buddy Pass?

Game Trial Code = a code that gives your account access to a game with certain provisos like
a) you can only reach up to a certain level before you have to buy the game and unlock your character
b) you can only use your account for a period of time (eg 30 days) before you have to buy the game to continue the account

FFXIV Buddy Code = full game code that opens your account permanently and without restriction. Once you apply a registration code to your square enix account you can create characters and play for as long as you want without level restrictions. You won't have to buy the game yourself later as there is nothing to unlock, you will already have full access to the game

FFXIV Buddy Code ≠ Game Trial Code


Is FFXIV free?
FFXIV is free to play right now. Until the developers reach a stage where they are happy with the systems and content, the monthly account charge and charges for characters are not applied to you. What that means is that if you get a buddy pass given to you, you can create an account and create characters without having to pay a cent.

Why aren't there many codes?
Buddy passes were only given out with the collectors edition released in September 2010. It has been 9-10ish months since then. In that time there have been a lot of people who have left, probably discarding their buddy passes if they had them. There are people who gave their buddy passes away at the start. And there are people who used their buddy passes to create alternate accounts for themselves so they can have access to more retainers, more anima from transport mules and ability to have leve linking mules. All in all there are probably very few unused buddy passes floating around out there.

Why don't those people who do have them give them out?
They are valuable in the sense that they are a full game. As mentioned above about the game being free, if you paid money tog et the collectors edition, for reasons like being excited over the game or being a huge fan of the series, you will most likely not be willing to give the game away free to someone who is all 'Oh I just wanna try it out and see if it is for me. I'm not committed enough to want to buy it and give money to the producers, but I want to muck around, see how it handles and then possibly leave forever, wasting your buddy pass if I don't like it.'

Also if they have held onto their buddy pass for this long, they either have plans for it, or possibly want to invite friends to the game to play with them but won't do so until the game is better in their eyes.

And thirdly you may be a RMT. It is possible to download and patch the FFXIV game client through torrents and file sharing sites. An RMT person could come onto a gaming forum like this, create a dozen accounts and spam requests for a buddy pass. If they succeed they would have complete access on an account to run around and farm gil for free. They would not have to outlay any costs in order to make money = profit for them. So someone who actually cares about the game enough to have held onto their buddy pass would not be wanting to give it out so some stranger who may be pulling a sob story to try and make a profit.

Is there anything I can do to get a buddy pass?
Be patient. Be polite. If there is someone out there kind and generous enough to have a buddy pass to give out, it will be to someone who can prove they are worth it. A post from someone with a brand new account who writes in leetspeak and doesn't say please or thankyou is less likely to get a positive response than someone who asks nicely and has spend some time on the forum being helpful if they can be.

What else can I do?
Look in bargain bins and places online. Some retailers have copies of the standard edition (comes with one regn code only) for less than $10. If you can spare that you can try and buy yourself a copy, so if you don't decide to play you are only wasting a little bit of your own money, rather than someone else’s buddy pass.


tl:dr The buddy pass isn't a trial. It is a full game. If someone gives you a buddy pass you wont have to buy the game, ever. The chances of you getting a buddy pass are extremely slim. You are better off finding a cheap copy somewhere online so you can play and not waste that much money should you decide not to continue.

----

I don't mean to come off mean or abrasive, but we have receved quite a number of requests for buddy passes (not to mention the 2 dozen or so threads made before the sticky was created), yet no one seems to understand the difference between a game trial and the FFXIV buddy pass. If you are a genuine person, best of luck to you.


Edited, Jul 5th 2011 7:44pm by Magnesium02
#10 Jul 05 2011 at 6:04 PM Rating: Default
24 posts
I understand what a Buddy Pass is, I want to try out the game without having to purchase it and this seems like the only option. I guess I shouldn't have worded it the way I did (try before I buy it) but I mean if I enjoy the game from a buddy pass I will pay the subscription fee whenever they decide to add it.

As you said it doesn't seem like it is very likely that there are any buddy passes to be given so I probably won't end up trying out the game. I'm also suprised that they don't offer a digital copy of this game.
____________________________
[Retired]PLD:http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?89344
PLD50/WAR25/NIN/BLM41/SMN21/WHM11/DRK9/THF7/SAM7
World of Warcraft:
Server: Skullcrusher
lv60 Tauren Hunter // lv60 Troll Shaman // lv44 Warlock
#11 Jul 05 2011 at 6:45 PM Rating: Good
***
3,177 posts
You're asking for someone to give you a free copy of XIV, pretty much. You can't just cough up $10 to try it yourself?


Judging from the other MMOs you have played, giving you a buddy pass wouldn't seem like a good investment, either.

Edited, Jul 5th 2011 5:47pm by UltKnightGrover
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#12 Jul 05 2011 at 6:53 PM Rating: Good
***
3,530 posts
Undertakerrii wrote:
I can install the game with a copy my friend has... I just want to try out the game before I buy it.


lol. Try it with your friend - characters are free to make, so it's not like anybody has to pay anything/delete a character to make space!
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#13Undertakerrii, Posted: Jul 05 2011 at 7:41 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Well I'm sorry that I would like to demo the game.
#14 Jul 05 2011 at 9:02 PM Rating: Excellent
**
778 posts
Undertakerrii wrote:
Well I'm sorry that I would like to demo the game.

And what do you mean by judging from the other MMOs i've played? it's not a good investment because I haven't updated my signature on the alakazam forums since 2006?


There is no way to "demo" the game. If someone gives you a Buddy Pass they're giving you a free copy of the game, no restrictions, no limits. Once the game goes pay-to-play your account will still be good. You'll have no need to buy a copy of the game unless you want to use the special in-game item codes (Such as the Onion Helm or Garlond Goggles) that come with full retail copies. If you wanna demo the game then buy it, simple as that.

As was said, it's been 9 months since the game went live last year so any of these passes floating around are a bit rare. I gave mine away to a friend whom I was eager to get playing. She hung around for a week then disappeared and haven't heard/seen her since. This is why people won't give up their codes...
____________________________
FINAL FANTASY XIV Roleplayer

Sair Gammonari - Hyur Midlander Male - Conjurer (Somewhat retired.)
Mihana Zhralyia - Miqo'te Seeker of the Sun Female - Archer



#15 Jul 05 2011 at 9:51 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
*
240 posts
Magnesium02 wrote:


Buddy Pass Frequently Asked Questions:

What is a Buddy Pass?

Game Trial Code = a code that gives your account access to a game with certain provisos like
a) you can only reach up to a certain level before you have to buy the game and unlock your character
b) you can only use your account for a period of time (eg 30 days) before you have to buy the game to continue the account

FFXIV Buddy Code = full game code that opens your account permanently and without restriction. Once you apply a registration code to your square enix account you can create characters and play for as long as you want without level restrictions. You won't have to buy the game yourself later as there is nothing to unlock, you will already have full access to the game

FFXIV Buddy Code ≠ Game Trial Code


Is FFXIV free?
FFXIV is free to play right now. Until the developers reach a stage where they are happy with the systems and content, the monthly account charge and charges for characters are not applied to you. What that means is that if you get a buddy pass given to you, you can create an account and create characters without having to pay a cent.

Why aren't there many codes?
Buddy passes were only given out with the collectors edition released in September 2010. It has been 9-10ish months since then. In that time there have been a lot of people who have left, probably discarding their buddy passes if they had them. There are people who gave their buddy passes away at the start. And there are people who used their buddy passes to create alternate accounts for themselves so they can have access to more retainers, more anima from transport mules and ability to have leve linking mules. All in all there are probably very few unused buddy passes floating around out there.

Why don't those people who do have them give them out?
They are valuable in the sense that they are a full game. As mentioned above about the game being free, if you paid money tog et the collectors edition, for reasons like being excited over the game or being a huge fan of the series, you will most likely not be willing to give the game away free to someone who is all 'Oh I just wanna try it out and see if it is for me. I'm not committed enough to want to buy it and give money to the producers, but I want to muck around, see how it handles and then possibly leave forever, wasting your buddy pass if I don't like it.'

Also if they have held onto their buddy pass for this long, they either have plans for it, or possibly want to invite friends to the game to play with them but won't do so until the game is better in their eyes.

And thirdly you may be a RMT. It is possible to download and patch the FFXIV game client through torrents and file sharing sites. An RMT person could come onto a gaming forum like this, create a dozen accounts and spam requests for a buddy pass. If they succeed they would have complete access on an account to run around and farm gil for free. They would not have to outlay any costs in order to make money = profit for them. So someone who actually cares about the game enough to have held onto their buddy pass would not be wanting to give it out so some stranger who may be pulling a sob story to try and make a profit.

Is there anything I can do to get a buddy pass?
Be patient. Be polite. If there is someone out there kind and generous enough to have a buddy pass to give out, it will be to someone who can prove they are worth it. A post from someone with a brand new account who writes in leetspeak and doesn't say please or thankyou is less likely to get a positive response than someone who asks nicely and has spend some time on the forum being helpful if they can be.

What else can I do?
Look in bargain bins and places online. Some retailers have copies of the standard edition (comes with one regn code only) for less than $10. If you can spare that you can try and buy yourself a copy, so if you don't decide to play you are only wasting a little bit of your own money, rather than someone else’s buddy pass.


tl:dr The buddy pass isn't a trial. It is a full game. If someone gives you a buddy pass you wont have to buy the game, ever. The chances of you getting a buddy pass are extremely slim. You are better off finding a cheap copy somewhere online so you can play and not waste that much money should you decide not to continue.

----

I don't mean to come off mean or abrasive, but we have receved quite a number of requests for buddy passes (not to mention the 2 dozen or so threads made before the sticky was created), yet no one seems to understand the difference between a game trial and the FFXIV buddy pass. If you are a genuine person, best of luck to you.


Edited, Jul 5th 2011 7:44pm by Magnesium02


This is sticky material right here. That or it should be in the starter thread. If you made this, good job.
#16Undertakerrii, Posted: Jul 05 2011 at 10:11 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) I realize that codes are scarce and i'm sorry that you're so offended at the fact that I asked for one. The point was that I wanted to try out a game that hasn't been getting much positive without having to spend my hard earned money on it and maybe someone had an extra code that they haven't used. I'm sorry that SquareEnix decided instead of giving 15 day free trails with purchase of their games (like every other MMO) they decided to give codes for the whole game, which makes you feel that it is much more valuable but it is the same principle. I would glady rather have a 15 day free trail and then buy the guy afterwards if I felt like it was worht my money but SquareEnix doesn't provide that service.
#17 Jul 05 2011 at 11:42 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
*
240 posts
Undertakerrii wrote:
I'm sorry that SquareEnix decided [b]instead of giving 15 day free trails with purchase of their games[b] (like every other MMO) they decided to give codes for the whole game, which makes you feel that it is much more valuable but it is the same principle. I would glady rather have a 15 day free trail and then buy the guy afterwards if I felt like it was worht my money but SquareEnix doesn't provide that service.


I'll take a 10+ month free trial like I've had over a 15 day free trial any day Smiley: laugh Amazon.com has it for $22 USD new and $14 used (don't know about codes for used). In case someone does give you a code here's a heads up. You still need a credit card even though you don't have to pay yet.

Phase 1: pay $22 for the game (the rest of us payed a lot more).
Phase 2: ???
Phase 3: It's going to be free to play for a while.
#18 Jul 06 2011 at 3:31 AM Rating: Good
***
3,177 posts
There is no demo. This is worse than talking to a brick wall. :| Asking for a buddy pass is asking for a free copy of the game.
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#19 Jul 06 2011 at 6:04 AM Rating: Excellent
***
1,636 posts
its worse than that, buddy passes aren't even free, its asking for someone who paid extra for the game to give you part of theirs.

Edited, Jul 6th 2011 8:06am by KujaKoF
____________________________


#20Undertakerrii, Posted: Jul 06 2011 at 9:02 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Talk about brick walls...or maybe you just don't read.
#21 Jul 06 2011 at 12:29 PM Rating: Excellent
**
778 posts
KaneKitty wrote:
Undertakerrii wrote:
I can install the game with a copy my friend has... I just want to try out the game before I buy it.


lol. Try it with your friend - characters are free to make, so it's not like anybody has to pay anything/delete a character to make space!


Do as the above poster in this quote said and just use your friend's account then. You'll get to "demo" the game and don't have to waste money on buying it if you don't like it. You clearly grasp that this isn't a trial version but a full copy so instead of requesting a buddy pass just do this and decide. It's not that everyone wants to be asses and downright refuse to give a pass here, it's that nobody wants to waste a pass on someone who's just curious to try the game out and then throw it away if they're bored. The extra stuff that came with the CE version is more or less junk, not even worth the price paid for the collector's edition. So the extra key that comes with this game at least makes it somewhat worthwhile. I believe at launch it was about $70-$80 for the collector's edition, more or less we paid for two copies of the game in a way, why give that extra key to someone else unless we know it's gonna get good use?

Edited, Jul 6th 2011 11:30am by SamusKnight
____________________________
FINAL FANTASY XIV Roleplayer

Sair Gammonari - Hyur Midlander Male - Conjurer (Somewhat retired.)
Mihana Zhralyia - Miqo'te Seeker of the Sun Female - Archer



This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 21 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (21)