Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
This Forum is Read Only

FFXIV Review: 10 Months after..Days before "Miracle patch"Follow

#1 Jul 18 2011 at 3:30 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,202 posts
http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/446/view/reviews/load/147/page/1

"Flame Shield On"
____________________________
MUTED
#2 Jul 18 2011 at 3:44 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,842 posts
Yea, MMORPG.com re-reviews don't make sense. They did one a week before the STO ground reboot patch and gave it poor reviews for the ground game.... It's like the reviewers don't even have a clue on what's actually happening with the game.
____________________________
FFXIV Dyvid (Awaiting 2.0)
FFXI Dyvid ~ Pandemonium (Retired)
SWTOR Dy'vid Legacy - Canderous Ordo
#3 Jul 18 2011 at 3:45 PM Rating: Good
**
265 posts
Not entirely sure I get the point of this. The title even mentions "days before miracle patch" but that doesn't suddenly make any more sense then if you hadn't of said that.
#4 Jul 18 2011 at 3:54 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,566 posts
Are you the writer?

Either way, not much journalistic merit here. It's just flamebait to try and pull in some traffic for ads. Not even worth the click.

It's so blatantly obvious. Why else would they release a rereview for a game that hasn't changed much just before it's set to finally have some worth-while changes?

For those curious, don't give them the ad traffic, just read it below:



Quote:
Odds are that if you’re a gamer, you’ve heard of the epic Final Fantasy franchise. Final Fantasy XIV (FFXIV) is the latest chapter in the series to be made as a massively multiplayer online (MMO) title, following in the footsteps of Final Fantasy XI. Unfortunately, Final Fantasy XIV doesn’t offer much for either the hardcore fans of the Final Fantasy world, or MMO gamers looking for a quality title.

Before we take a look at Final Fantasy XIV, I want to preface this article with a disclosure. Here at MMORPG.com, we are aware that games are always patching and game updates are pending pretty much forever. However, until those changes are live on the servers, we cannot anticipate how they will affect the gameplay or community, and therefore those rumors and announcements do not affect the score card detailed below. We feel we’ve waited more than long enough to give FFXIV a fair shake. Check back with us later this year for an update after those changes are live.


advertisement

Aesthetics: 7/10

One thing that the Final Fantasy XIV team got right is the graphics and soundtrack for the title. This game really is stunning, and the cinema openers for each of the starter lands are worthy of the Final Fantasy name. Those early moments feel a lot like a single player role-playing game, rather than an MMO version of the world. The voice acting is complimentary, and the movies really provoke a sense of curiosity about the underlining plot within the FFXIV world. The soundtrack is hauntingly beautiful at times, compelling and others, and generally pleasant whether you’re shopping in town or fighting some of the odd and but frequently recycled monsters outside the city walls.

Unfortunately, that’s about as far as the Final Fantasy XIV got as far as developing a visually impressive video game. The user interface (UI) is horrible, with far too many unnecessary steps for doing basic things, and very little in way of a visual tutorial. The UI alone marks this category down from 8 to 7 in my eyes; though there is hope later updates to the game will improve its clumsiness considerably.

Gameplay: 5/10

The biggest problem with Final Fantasy XIV is really that it feels like an incomplete video game, as if the final release should actually be a closed beta stage of production. Even the steps for making a new account are needlessly cumbersome and frustrating; not exactly the best foot forward, as far as impressing new players. Character creation is a bit more enjoyable, which just enough races available to provide a good variety, and even some Astrology and lore thrown into the mix. Your class is literally which weapon or tool you have equipped, so the character creation process is pretty streamlined since you don’t need to decide your permanent profession out the gate. That being said, you do have to buy those bonus weapons—or find them—so try to pick a class which interests you for a few levels worth of play.

The opening cinemas for the three starting lands are impressive, I won’t deny that. Unfortunately, the moment the theatrics are over, the player is left wondering, “What now?” The tutorial is torturous and even ineffective, with many basic elements of the game left out of the explanation process. In fact, the quest which begins during this tutorial phase is a great example of what awaits players: Monotonous running around, lukewarm cut scenes, and the bare minimum of information imaginable. It quickly becomes apparent that what looked like a storyline-rich game is actually weak plots that are uninteresting and poorly woven together through dialog and quest content; I felt completely uninformed—and worse, disinterested—in the world around me.

Truth be told, I really can’t say enough about how unpolished and unrefined the gameplay in Final Fantasy XIV is. The interface is horribly clunky, and needlessly complex; why do I have to click to open a menu list just to access my inventory, or equip a new weapon? You can create macros, but the key layout is terrible. Having to click an enemy—then click a spell or effect—and then click the enemy again to attack is ridiculous. I have no idea what the game designers were thinking. Rumor has it that auto attack, and a serious overhaul of the combat system, is coming in the upcoming patch. I truly hope this proves accurate, because no matter how pretty the Final Fantasy XIV world is, the controls and cumbersome combat makes it a nightmare to play.

The final nail in the coffin might be the horrid quest system. You gather up some quests at the local inn, then head out into the wilderness to find one of the hovering “aetheryte” crystals, which you must interact with to officially begin one of your quests. The only perk is that once you’ve killed your five nutbiter marmots, a little cloud of smoke will let you redeem your completed quest for your rewards on the spot, and then teleport you back to the aetheryte crystal if you desire. That’s as far as the perks go, and after that it’s a waiting game until you can access more quests or redo the ones you’ve already completed; there is literally a real-life countdown timer for the bulk of these. If this sounds frustrating and tedious to you, you’re spot-on; it’s absolutely unbearable at times, and totally unnecessary.

Innovation: 5/10

Considering how many problems Final Fantasy XIV has, I can’t really say this is an innovative title, at least not in the good sort of way. The graphics and soundtrack are the best element of this video game, but neither of the two is so revolutionary that it merits a high score in this section. I have high hopes that the team behind Final Fantasy XIV will come up with some great features to make this game stand-out in a sea of (better) MMO options, since this game is still fairly new, but in the meantime FFXIV simply isn’t strong enough to lure players away from more successful titles.

One aspect of FFXIV that is a refreshing change from the norm is the class system. Instead of being limited to just one class, you can freely switch between class options with a (ridiculously complicated) swap of your weapons. You even retain some of the abilities from some of the other classes you have leveled, above and beyond a true “dual class” system. Now, if only leveling-up was more than frustrating quests or mindless grinding.

In truth, a lot of the cutting-edge cinema effects are misleading, giving players false hopes about the quality of gameplay that lies ahead. I’m going with a straight 5 here, because although this title certainly isn’t among the best as far as being innovative, it also isn’t among the worst.

Polish: 4/10

As I mentioned above, Final Fantasy XIV feels like an incomplete game, or one still in beta testing. There are too many glitches, too many problems with the interface and mechanics that should have never left the beta phase without being addressed. FFXIV will celebrate its one year anniversary at the end of September, which means these glaring problems have been endured by the player-base for far too long.

Currently, there is no monthly subscription fee for Final Fantasy XIV. When (and if) that policy changes, players will likely be forced to purchase the base game and pay a monthly fee per character instead of a flat rate. The ironic thing is that there is currently no reason to have multiple characters, considering every toon can access every class option. Unless you just want to test out the alternative races, you can simply do everything on one main character. If you want to roll an alternate toon to level with friends, you normally would have to pay an additional $3 USD per month for that character slot. Perhaps if the game was of higher quality, this system wouldn’t sound as ridiculous to me as it does. However, I was annoyed with Square Enix after going through their ridiculously tedious account creation process, so the cryptic membership policy—do I get a free character slot, more than one, or none at all?—had me further irritated.

The visual engine is really the only thing with polish here, and that certainly doesn’t extend to the user interface, as outlined above.

Longevity: 5/10

If you are a die-hard fan of the Final Fantasy series, you might stick with this one, at least for a little while. That being said, I cannot truly recommend this title to anyone who wants a quality MMO with plenty of long-term appeal. The developers need to do some serious work to get this one up to par with the other major contenders currently available, and even then I’m afraid it won’t stand-out enough from the pack to be a top MMO.

The only perk is that you currently aren’t required to pay a subscription fee, as I mentioned above, though you still have to buy the PC version of the game for $15-30 USD depending on your chosen vendor. This arrangement is subject to change at any time, of course, so make sure you cancel your account just in case the fees kick-in after you’ve abandoned this one.

I really, truly wanted to enjoy Final Fantasy XIV above and beyond what I had expected. When the clerk at the video game store tries to convince you not to purchase a title, because the company “practically apologized for ever releasing it,” it doesn’t bode well. Unless some serious improvements, updates and finishing touches which were neglected prior to the original release are implemented, Final Fantasy XIV is likely to fade into oblivion—and quickly.

Social: 5/10

As you may have come to expect by now, the social element of Final Fantasy XIV—wait for it—feels incomplete. The chat system is weak, and the guild system is just as disappointing, which means communication in the game is poor at best. Characters display a guild emblem in front of their names, but that is about as far as it goes for the in-game guilds creating a sense of unity and companionship. Even adding someone to your friends list is a chore, just like so much else of this video game.

Value: 5/10

On the bright side, you currently only have to pay for the base game to delve into the visually appealing, beautifully scored world of Final Fantasy XIV. However, that’s about as good as it gets, and I can’t imagine many players trying this one and feeling much of anything beyond frustrated and unsatisfied. The opening scenes are misleading, and very quickly all of the excitement of character creation and the opening movies leave players wandering around searching for vendors, navigating with little help from the horrible map, and trying to complete quests that have little guidance available.

In the end, I want my $14.99 back.

In Conclusion

Two words: Look elsewhere. While this might sound harsh, and I’ll go ahead and apologize to those of you who actually enjoy this MMO title and are reading simply to agree or disagree with my sentiments, I simply will not recommend this title to anyone. If you love the series, I expect you to be disappointed; if you love fun, even addictive MMO video games, I can’t imagine you being anything but disappointed. The elements of Final Fantasy XIV which are high quality and worth the purchase cost are buried underneath all of these totally unnecessary problems, and the poor design decisions.

If you’ve ever seen the classic film "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" then you’re familiar with the blank slate of the humanoids which emerge from the pods, only to gradually shape and mold into a duplicate of a human being. That’s what Final Fantasy XIV feels like—an undeveloped pod person, and the probability is that it will eventually become little more than a shallow duplicate of a real game.
#5 Jul 18 2011 at 4:26 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,636 posts
Not sure why this came out now, you would think someone would have looked up and saw there was another patch coming very soon. My only guess is this was actually written a while ago, possibly researched before the patch date was known.

Pretty much only exists to inform people who don't follow that 10 months after release the game is still far below anyone's standards. I do have to agree though, at the time of publication, pretty much everything he said was correct, and the game deserves to be rated on that, just an unfortunate coincidence (or stunt) that in another week or two, there is chance that some of this review gets invalidated.
____________________________


#6 Jul 18 2011 at 4:40 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,226 posts
Quote:
first sentence

Quote:
"epic"

Not worth reading, even if unbiased and accurate.
____________________________
w(°o°)w
#7 Jul 18 2011 at 5:22 PM Rating: Excellent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
This most certainly will not be a "miracle patch".
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#8 Jul 18 2011 at 7:42 PM Rating: Good
Sage
***
1,500 posts
I really don't see the point of a re-review to say again the same things that everybody knows since 8 month's ago.

Ken
____________________________
"Maybe it means: you're the evil man, and I'm the righteous man, and Mr. Nine-millimeter here, he's the shepherd protecting my righteous *** in the Valley of Darkness." - Jules.
FFXIV: Mabel Rand (Gugnir)
FFXI: Kenage, retired.
K&K forever!,
#9 Jul 18 2011 at 8:55 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,609 posts
Considering they did the review a few days before the major patch...I didn't bother reading it...just doesn't seem fair.
____________________________


"I've never watched a nuclear explosion myself. That's a couple of degrees of stupid above my limit"- Old Man Harris
#10 Jul 18 2011 at 9:18 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
176 posts
If you want to talk about being fair, maybe not take 10 months to release a major content patch? (that will only end up being split up between 1.18, 1.18b, 1.18c, 1.19, 1.20 anyway)
____________________________

TERA looks tasty...
#11 Jul 18 2011 at 9:47 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
351 posts
KujaKoF wrote:
Not sure why this came out now, you would think someone would have looked up and saw there was another patch coming very soon. My only guess is this was actually written a while ago, possibly researched before the patch date was known.


It's possible they were waiting for that patch, but since it's been delayed so many times, they went ahead with the article anyway.

The target audience of this article isn't FFXIV forum-goers; it's directed at those who aren't playing FFXIV at all because they heard it had a terrible launch, but are wondering if they should give it a chance right now after 10 months. They would discover there's a "miracle patch" on the way, but otherwise, no, not much has changed from its miserable launch. There's really no disputing that.

I think it serves to remind us that almost a year has passed and what can we say is substantially different? The promised moused-based UI being worked on by their finest FFXII engineer seems to have evaporated. The Market Wards are marginally functional, but they still crash frequently and have miles to go before resembling the usefulness of FFXI's AH. A few UI improvements have been made here and there, but there's definitely nothing award-winning or innovative about it, and you're still mostly reliant on a controller in spite of this being, at the moment, an exclusively PC game.

I can sympathize that the overhaul this game needs will take time to do right. But does a brand new battle system really inhibit the necessary fixes to making linkshells work properly? Or adding useful player search functions? Or perhaps finally getting around to that AH the players want? Maybe a delivery system of some kind?

Maybe the problems with FFXIV are too numerous to solve, even by a crack team devoted to the cause. This next patch had better indeed provide a miracle.

Edited, Jul 18th 2011 11:48pm by ForceOfMeh
#12 Jul 18 2011 at 10:01 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
2,801 posts
While the timing may be a bit suspect, the review is fair. In fact, its even a bit generous in some areas.

Edited, Jul 19th 2011 12:01am by Caia
____________________________
WoW -- Zaia -- Dragonmaw -- Mage 80 BABY! Alchemy 450
Also... Hunter 62, Rogue 52, Warrior 66, Warlock 43, Death Knight 70, Shaman Who Cares? ;)

FFXI -- Caia -- Retired/Deleted -- Blm 75, Alchemy 97
Pandimonium server - Rank 10 - Bastok

Zaela Rdm -- 35, Alchemy 45 -- Forced into retirement because I didn't have the right kind of credit card. Hope it was worth 18 bucks a month, SE.

#13 Jul 18 2011 at 10:23 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,202 posts
Sephrick wrote:
Are you the writer?

Either way, not much journalistic merit here. It's just flamebait to try and pull in some traffic for ads. Not even worth the click.

It's so blatantly obvious. Why else would they release a rereview for a game that hasn't changed much just before it's set to finally have some worth-while changes?

For those curious, don't give them the ad traffic, just read it below:



Quote:
Odds are that if you’re a gamer, you’ve heard of the epic Final Fantasy franchise. Final Fantasy XIV (FFXIV) is the latest chapter in the series to be made as a massively multiplayer online (MMO) title, following in the footsteps of Final Fantasy XI. Unfortunately, Final Fantasy XIV doesn’t offer much for either the hardcore fans of the Final Fantasy world, or MMO gamers looking for a quality title.

Before we take a look at Final Fantasy XIV, I want to preface this article with a disclosure. Here at MMORPG.com, we are aware that games are always patching and game updates are pending pretty much forever. However, until those changes are live on the servers, we cannot anticipate how they will affect the gameplay or community, and therefore those rumors and announcements do not affect the score card detailed below. We feel we’ve waited more than long enough to give FFXIV a fair shake. Check back with us later this year for an update after those changes are live.


advertisement

Aesthetics: 7/10

One thing that the Final Fantasy XIV team got right is the graphics and soundtrack for the title. This game really is stunning, and the cinema openers for each of the starter lands are worthy of the Final Fantasy name. Those early moments feel a lot like a single player role-playing game, rather than an MMO version of the world. The voice acting is complimentary, and the movies really provoke a sense of curiosity about the underlining plot within the FFXIV world. The soundtrack is hauntingly beautiful at times, compelling and others, and generally pleasant whether you’re shopping in town or fighting some of the odd and but frequently recycled monsters outside the city walls.

Unfortunately, that’s about as far as the Final Fantasy XIV got as far as developing a visually impressive video game. The user interface (UI) is horrible, with far too many unnecessary steps for doing basic things, and very little in way of a visual tutorial. The UI alone marks this category down from 8 to 7 in my eyes; though there is hope later updates to the game will improve its clumsiness considerably.

Gameplay: 5/10

The biggest problem with Final Fantasy XIV is really that it feels like an incomplete video game, as if the final release should actually be a closed beta stage of production. Even the steps for making a new account are needlessly cumbersome and frustrating; not exactly the best foot forward, as far as impressing new players. Character creation is a bit more enjoyable, which just enough races available to provide a good variety, and even some Astrology and lore thrown into the mix. Your class is literally which weapon or tool you have equipped, so the character creation process is pretty streamlined since you don’t need to decide your permanent profession out the gate. That being said, you do have to buy those bonus weapons—or find them—so try to pick a class which interests you for a few levels worth of play.

The opening cinemas for the three starting lands are impressive, I won’t deny that. Unfortunately, the moment the theatrics are over, the player is left wondering, “What now?” The tutorial is torturous and even ineffective, with many basic elements of the game left out of the explanation process. In fact, the quest which begins during this tutorial phase is a great example of what awaits players: Monotonous running around, lukewarm cut scenes, and the bare minimum of information imaginable. It quickly becomes apparent that what looked like a storyline-rich game is actually weak plots that are uninteresting and poorly woven together through dialog and quest content; I felt completely uninformed—and worse, disinterested—in the world around me.

Truth be told, I really can’t say enough about how unpolished and unrefined the gameplay in Final Fantasy XIV is. The interface is horribly clunky, and needlessly complex; why do I have to click to open a menu list just to access my inventory, or equip a new weapon? You can create macros, but the key layout is terrible. Having to click an enemy—then click a spell or effect—and then click the enemy again to attack is ridiculous. I have no idea what the game designers were thinking. Rumor has it that auto attack, and a serious overhaul of the combat system, is coming in the upcoming patch. I truly hope this proves accurate, because no matter how pretty the Final Fantasy XIV world is, the controls and cumbersome combat makes it a nightmare to play.

The final nail in the coffin might be the horrid quest system. You gather up some quests at the local inn, then head out into the wilderness to find one of the hovering “aetheryte” crystals, which you must interact with to officially begin one of your quests. The only perk is that once you’ve killed your five nutbiter marmots, a little cloud of smoke will let you redeem your completed quest for your rewards on the spot, and then teleport you back to the aetheryte crystal if you desire. That’s as far as the perks go, and after that it’s a waiting game until you can access more quests or redo the ones you’ve already completed; there is literally a real-life countdown timer for the bulk of these. If this sounds frustrating and tedious to you, you’re spot-on; it’s absolutely unbearable at times, and totally unnecessary.

Innovation: 5/10

Considering how many problems Final Fantasy XIV has, I can’t really say this is an innovative title, at least not in the good sort of way. The graphics and soundtrack are the best element of this video game, but neither of the two is so revolutionary that it merits a high score in this section. I have high hopes that the team behind Final Fantasy XIV will come up with some great features to make this game stand-out in a sea of (better) MMO options, since this game is still fairly new, but in the meantime FFXIV simply isn’t strong enough to lure players away from more successful titles.

One aspect of FFXIV that is a refreshing change from the norm is the class system. Instead of being limited to just one class, you can freely switch between class options with a (ridiculously complicated) swap of your weapons. You even retain some of the abilities from some of the other classes you have leveled, above and beyond a true “dual class” system. Now, if only leveling-up was more than frustrating quests or mindless grinding.

In truth, a lot of the cutting-edge cinema effects are misleading, giving players false hopes about the quality of gameplay that lies ahead. I’m going with a straight 5 here, because although this title certainly isn’t among the best as far as being innovative, it also isn’t among the worst.

Polish: 4/10

As I mentioned above, Final Fantasy XIV feels like an incomplete game, or one still in beta testing. There are too many glitches, too many problems with the interface and mechanics that should have never left the beta phase without being addressed. FFXIV will celebrate its one year anniversary at the end of September, which means these glaring problems have been endured by the player-base for far too long.

Currently, there is no monthly subscription fee for Final Fantasy XIV. When (and if) that policy changes, players will likely be forced to purchase the base game and pay a monthly fee per character instead of a flat rate. The ironic thing is that there is currently no reason to have multiple characters, considering every toon can access every class option. Unless you just want to test out the alternative races, you can simply do everything on one main character. If you want to roll an alternate toon to level with friends, you normally would have to pay an additional $3 USD per month for that character slot. Perhaps if the game was of higher quality, this system wouldn’t sound as ridiculous to me as it does. However, I was annoyed with Square Enix after going through their ridiculously tedious account creation process, so the cryptic membership policy—do I get a free character slot, more than one, or none at all?—had me further irritated.

The visual engine is really the only thing with polish here, and that certainly doesn’t extend to the user interface, as outlined above.

Longevity: 5/10

If you are a die-hard fan of the Final Fantasy series, you might stick with this one, at least for a little while. That being said, I cannot truly recommend this title to anyone who wants a quality MMO with plenty of long-term appeal. The developers need to do some serious work to get this one up to par with the other major contenders currently available, and even then I’m afraid it won’t stand-out enough from the pack to be a top MMO.

The only perk is that you currently aren’t required to pay a subscription fee, as I mentioned above, though you still have to buy the PC version of the game for $15-30 USD depending on your chosen vendor. This arrangement is subject to change at any time, of course, so make sure you cancel your account just in case the fees kick-in after you’ve abandoned this one.

I really, truly wanted to enjoy Final Fantasy XIV above and beyond what I had expected. When the clerk at the video game store tries to convince you not to purchase a title, because the company “practically apologized for ever releasing it,” it doesn’t bode well. Unless some serious improvements, updates and finishing touches which were neglected prior to the original release are implemented, Final Fantasy XIV is likely to fade into oblivion—and quickly.

Social: 5/10

As you may have come to expect by now, the social element of Final Fantasy XIV—wait for it—feels incomplete. The chat system is weak, and the guild system is just as disappointing, which means communication in the game is poor at best. Characters display a guild emblem in front of their names, but that is about as far as it goes for the in-game guilds creating a sense of unity and companionship. Even adding someone to your friends list is a chore, just like so much else of this video game.

Value: 5/10

On the bright side, you currently only have to pay for the base game to delve into the visually appealing, beautifully scored world of Final Fantasy XIV. However, that’s about as good as it gets, and I can’t imagine many players trying this one and feeling much of anything beyond frustrated and unsatisfied. The opening scenes are misleading, and very quickly all of the excitement of character creation and the opening movies leave players wandering around searching for vendors, navigating with little help from the horrible map, and trying to complete quests that have little guidance available.

In the end, I want my $14.99 back.

In Conclusion

Two words: Look elsewhere. While this might sound harsh, and I’ll go ahead and apologize to those of you who actually enjoy this MMO title and are reading simply to agree or disagree with my sentiments, I simply will not recommend this title to anyone. If you love the series, I expect you to be disappointed; if you love fun, even addictive MMO video games, I can’t imagine you being anything but disappointed. The elements of Final Fantasy XIV which are high quality and worth the purchase cost are buried underneath all of these totally unnecessary problems, and the poor design decisions.

If you’ve ever seen the classic film "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" then you’re familiar with the blank slate of the humanoids which emerge from the pods, only to gradually shape and mold into a duplicate of a human being. That’s what Final Fantasy XIV feels like—an undeveloped pod person, and the probability is that it will eventually become little more than a shallow duplicate of a real game.


No, in no way i wrote that lol, i just found it, and posted it, tho it was relevant, since last time i was around this forums, people would pull the "Wait 6 month" card, so yeah 10 seems fair, tho before the "Miracle" patch it seems kinda F upped <.<
____________________________
MUTED
#14 Jul 18 2011 at 10:38 PM Rating: Decent
***
3,177 posts
Yeah, reviewing it again right before a major game-changing patch seems kind of asinine. Nothing big has changed yet, of course it's going to get a similarly low score.
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#15 Jul 18 2011 at 11:18 PM Rating: Excellent
****
4,144 posts
Sephrick wrote:
Either way, not much journalistic merit here.

Nearly nothing has happened of note in the past 16 months we have had the opportunity to see this game grow. I know it's not a requirement, but great journalism usually has a subject worthy of the work. Everything he said was pretty much spot on. The author shouldn't be discredited because his subject isn't captivating.

Also, you should rethink your statement about the reason for their review. If they were whoring for ad traffic they would probably be posting articles about games that a larger number of people are interested in. Consider the magnitude difference in people searching for information on FFXIV vs other games that are coming soon or just released.
LillithaFenimore wrote:
Considering they did the review a few days before the major patch...I didn't bother reading it...just doesn't seem fair.

Considering the review is on time and the patch isn't, I think 10 months since release is more than fair.

6+ years of development, 16+ months of feedback and nearly 10 months to implement patches and fixes since this game went live... yet people still for some reason feel that XIV isn't hasn't had enough time to develop or been given a fair shake. That's pretty sad.

What's worse is that this review is lower than the reviews made back around release with the exception of the PC Gamer review =/




____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#16 Jul 19 2011 at 12:26 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,566 posts
Quote:
Nearly nothing has happened of note in the past 16 months we have had the opportunity to see this game grow. I know it's not a requirement, but great journalism usually has a subject worthy of the work. Everything he said was pretty much spot on. The author shouldn't be discredited because his subject isn't captivating.


My critique was that of someone who is a journalist. Not only about subject material, but that the writer and subsequent editors obviously lack any comprehension of basic writing composition. Yet, they're publishing a "review" of a dated product just prior to the major changes it is due to receive.

They need to spend some time reading up on things like ledes, nut graphs and the inverted pyramid. The most basic of the basic.

It's common knowledge that this game was rushed out the door for reasons the public may never know. So whether you track it back to the beginning of Alpha, Beta or release, is of no consequence to the fact that this review is baseless.

It's either ten months too late or three days too soon.


Quote:
Also, you should rethink your statement about the reason for their review. If they were whoring for ad traffic they would probably be posting articles about games that a larger number of people are interested in. Consider the magnitude difference in people searching for information on FFXIV vs other games that are coming soon or just released.


They do have plenty of articles on more successful games. What I find odd is that they haven't covered a single news item about XIV since it's release. They pick three days from the first major patch to "have waited long enough?"

I'm not trying to defend SE here. I do think it has been far too long. I was the person who wrote an OpEd for ZAM saying E3 would be a make or break moment for the game. Still waiting to see if I was correct or not. The difference is I was using current information to be overtly objective.

It's just the timing of this is suspect along with the fact that the writer is being deceptively subjective. Granted, it's a review. But still. It's a review of a ten month old game with nothing new. If nothing is new, what warrants a rereview?

Quote:
Considering the review is on time and the patch isn't, I think 10 months since release is more than fair.

6+ years of development, 16+ months of feedback and nearly 10 months to implement patches and fixes since this game went live... yet people still for some reason feel that XIV isn't hasn't had enough time to develop or been given a fair shake. That's pretty sad.

What's worse is that this review is lower than the reviews made back around release with the exception of the PC Gamer review =/


They're doing what should have been done in the first place. The launch of XIV will live on as a folly in the history of the gaming industry. There's no doubting that. But why rehash what has already been said unless you're just trolling?




Edited, Jul 19th 2011 2:29am by Sephrick
#17 Jul 19 2011 at 12:54 AM Rating: Excellent
Silly review is silly.

I mean, maybe everything in there is right. I guess we'll find out in a few days. They should have waited though.
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#18 Jul 19 2011 at 1:59 AM Rating: Excellent
Ya, this is one of those reviews that doesn't make much sense in terms of timing, on the other hand, how long to do you really wait. This game should of turned around a LONG time ago imo, but I guess it was just that broken it's actually needed this long to have a glimmer of hope shed on it's players. That's all this patch is really, the slightest hope, cause really, changing the battle system with auto attack and adding a few raids to a horribly broken world won't do much for me. Every time a patch comes I think ok, I see what they did, but the game isn't any more fun. I have a feeling the raids will be the same way. You'll do a few and go, ok, but this is essentially leveling up in an instanced scenario while I mash away at the same skill set over and over.

I'm really curious to see what happens come patch day, but I get that nagging feeling it really won't be much more fun than it is in it's current state.
____________________________

#19 Jul 19 2011 at 2:49 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
106 posts
UltKnightGrover wrote:
Yeah, reviewing it again right before a major game-changing patch seems kind of asinine. Nothing big has changed yet, of course it's going to get a similarly low score.

If you would mind explaining what will be so game changing in the next patch?
#20 Jul 19 2011 at 3:18 AM Rating: Good
****
4,144 posts
Sephrick wrote:
Not only about subject material, but that the writer and subsequent editors obviously lack any comprehension of basic writing composition.


A bit harsh, but I'm sure the average MMO gamer who would be interested can digest it. It's all relevant material for someone who would be interested in what XIV has(or doesn't have) to offer. Sure it's not going to win any awards, but it serves it's purpose.

Sephrick wrote:
It's common knowledge that this game was rushed out the door for reasons the public may never know. So whether you track it back to the beginning of Alpha, Beta or release, is of no consequence to the fact that this review is baseless.


I disagree. The points made in the article are a fair and accurate representation of the state of XIV today. It's not a marvel of modern writing, but calling it 'baseless' is ridiculous. Whether or not the game was rushed, they still spent half a dozen years developing it. There are still so many design flaws at the core of this game's systems that should never have made it onto the discussion table. Who the **** knows how they actually made it into final release.

Sephrick wrote:
What I find odd is that they haven't covered a single news item about XIV since it's release. They pick three days from the first major patch to "have waited long enough?"

There was hardly anything newsworthy about anything leading up to this point. Everything that has been added or adjusted is pretty much standard for most other MMOs or polish that should have been there anyway. Again, the month that SE requested should have been 'long enough'. Late patch is late.
MMORPG.com wrote:
I want to preface this article with a disclosure... Check back with us later this year for an update after those changes are live.

Borderline favoritism and you guys don't think SE gets a fair shake? Get real.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#21 Jul 19 2011 at 3:31 AM Rating: Good
***
3,177 posts
WillCider wrote:
UltKnightGrover wrote:
Yeah, reviewing it again right before a major game-changing patch seems kind of asinine. Nothing big has changed yet, of course it's going to get a similarly low score.

If you would mind explaining what will be so game changing in the next patch?


Ooh, nothing.

Just the whole battle system, instanced raids, addition of quest hubs, upgrading weapon animations, user interface tweaks, changing how enmity works, completely changing the focus of the entire game from guildleves and making it an activity with an emphasis on soloing. That's not the least bit game-changing to you?



Edited, Jul 19th 2011 2:45am by UltKnightGrover
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#22 Jul 19 2011 at 7:28 AM Rating: Excellent
**
557 posts
Just to play devil's advocate, if we're expecting a "miracle patch," perhaps it makes sense to fully evaluate the game at its present state. As many here have argued, the game has changed since release. Not enough for some people, but substantially for others, and I don't see why that wouldn't warrant a reexamination. It will be interesting to see scores the miracle patch(es) boosts over the course of the next few months, so I'd expect a new review in the near future from the website.

I also think it's an extremely generous review.
____________________________


#23 Jul 19 2011 at 7:36 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,449 posts
WillCider wrote:
UltKnightGrover wrote:
Yeah, reviewing it again right before a major game-changing patch seems kind of asinine. Nothing big has changed yet, of course it's going to get a similarly low score.

If you would mind explaining what will be so game changing in the next patch?


For those that are looking for the upcoming changes on the next (few) patch(s) I did a post just for them :)

http://ffxiv.zam.com/forum.html?forum=152&mid=131106947612153336
____________________________


My FFXIV Blog



#24 Jul 19 2011 at 8:54 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
852 posts
Some of you guys are hilarious. SE says "Please don't review 14 for a month" and most outfits did anyway and you heard "That's so unfair, the game needs time!!!!"

MMORPG.com gave the game TEN MONTHS. Not one, not five, but ten before its review and still people are complaining that it's unfair.

Maybe if the game still didn't suck so badly compared to its peers in the eyes of most gamers, this wouldn't smart as much to you.

It's fair. How on Earth is ten months NOT fair?
____________________________
#25 Jul 19 2011 at 9:14 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
*
175 posts
bsphil wrote:
This most certainly will not be a "miracle patch".


Correct, this is 1/3 of the total miracle patch.
____________________________
BST90/BLM90/RDM75/WHM80/BRD75/NIN75/SMN75/THF75/WAR75; Goldsmithing 93; Fishing 100; Ebisu Rod.
#26 Jul 19 2011 at 11:00 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,045 posts
I think the deal is they kept delaying the big patch and just decided to go with it now, after this "miracle patch" there will be another and another. Players of failed games always act the way posters here are acting, the reviewers should of always waited just one more patch.

____________________________
BANNED
#27 Jul 19 2011 at 11:02 AM Rating: Excellent
***
3,177 posts
hexaemeron wrote:
Some of you guys are hilarious. SE says "Please don't review 14 for a month" and most outfits did anyway and you heard "That's so unfair, the game needs time!!!!"

MMORPG.com gave the game TEN MONTHS. Not one, not five, but ten before its review and still people are complaining that it's unfair.

Maybe if the game still didn't suck so badly compared to its peers in the eyes of most gamers, this wouldn't smart as much to you.

It's fair. How on Earth is ten months NOT fair?


The review isn't unfair, it's spot on. I just find it to be kind of stupid that they release it the week of a big patch that's coming. They couldn't wait until after?
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#28 Jul 19 2011 at 11:05 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
852 posts
UltKnightGrover wrote:
hexaemeron wrote:
Some of you guys are hilarious. SE says "Please don't review 14 for a month" and most outfits did anyway and you heard "That's so unfair, the game needs time!!!!"

MMORPG.com gave the game TEN MONTHS. Not one, not five, but ten before its review and still people are complaining that it's unfair.

Maybe if the game still didn't suck so badly compared to its peers in the eyes of most gamers, this wouldn't smart as much to you.

It's fair. How on Earth is ten months NOT fair?


The review isn't unfair, it's spot on. I just find it to be kind of stupid that they release it the week of a big patch that's coming. They couldn't wait until after?


And they'd have to evaluate it for at least another 1-2 months. It's long past time.
____________________________
#29 Jul 19 2011 at 11:05 AM Rating: Excellent
***
1,636 posts
I think its funny people still refer to it as a miracle patch. It would have been a miracle patch if it had come out of nowhere to fix the game and prevent it from stumbling the way it did. A good patch 10 months later isn't a miracle, its just a patch.
____________________________


#30 Jul 19 2011 at 11:05 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
812 posts
I don't buy the argument that they gave it enough time before a re-review. If they could wait 10 months, they could have waited another 4 days.

This review is a just an example of **** poor journalism. Maybe the reviewer can go apply for a job at Fox news, he certainly fits the build.
____________________________
Abaddon Active Player Roster
- All your Fabul Sever are belong to us! -


#31 Jul 19 2011 at 11:06 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
852 posts
Jefro420 wrote:
I don't buy the argument that they gave it enough time before a re-review. If they could wait 10 months, they could have waited another 4 days.

This review is a just an example of **** poor journalism. Maybe the reviewer can go apply for a job at Fox news, he certainly fits the build.


And the amount of 50s in your signature doesn't at all affect your perception, right?
____________________________
#32 Jul 19 2011 at 11:08 AM Rating: Excellent
**
557 posts
Presumably they didn't write the review in 1 day. I'm not sure how much time goes into these sorts of things, but given we are getting patches every month, I imagine trying to base a review on several weeks of playing to be rather difficult to work around any patch schedule in this game. It's unfortunate timing, perhaps, given people expect so much from the specific forthcoming patch (which is probably just as misplaced as the excitement in the first "quests" patch--remember that?), but certainly they're entitled to review a released product on store shelves at whatever state they find it in. If the game is massively improved next week, maybe we can expend an update.
____________________________


#33 Jul 19 2011 at 11:21 AM Rating: Excellent
****
4,144 posts
Jefro420 wrote:
I don't buy the argument that they gave it enough time before a re-review. If they could wait 10 months, they could have waited another 4 days.

This review is a just an example of **** poor journalism. Maybe the reviewer can go apply for a job at Fox news, he certainly fits the build.


You can't fault their writing when you fail to comprehend the reading. This is not a re-review, it's the initial review... 10 months later. If you had bothered to read the first paragraph you'd see that mmorpg.com is going to revise their review to reflect future patches; a luxury not afforded to other games unless there is an expansion.

This review gives a prospective player all of the information they would want to know about the game prior to making a purchase. It is honest and more than forgiving of the problems SE has had since launch. They describe what problems the game currently has and they give credit where it is due. All of the necessary information is present and representative of the current state of the game. For those of you ******** about their journalism I would ask, what exactly do you expect?
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#34 Jul 19 2011 at 11:28 AM Rating: Default
18 posts
Sure the review is accurate for the state of the game currently. The timing of the post illustrates both arrogance and ignorance on the part of MMORPG. Here's my problem.

They did not review the game in a timely manner because they stated "it's not ready to be reviewed." By this logic, that would mean that there would be a time they perceive as "ready."

First off - who the **** do they think they are making a determination of whether or not something is "ready?" Journalistic integrity would indicate that when a game is out, they have a responsibility to write a review to inform their consumers in a timely manner. Ie, when it's on shelves, it's ready. They are not the all-seeing, all knowing judge of when they deliver information on a major title. This review should have been done in a timely manner, when the game was released. The entire fact that they "waited until it was ready" speaks volumes about the arrogance and lack of integrity on the part of MMORPG.COM - imagine if real journalists simply didn't publish stories and articles because they felt we weren't "ready" to hear them.

Second - Going by their logic, that there would be time that the game was officially "ready" by their standards, that time happens to be 4 days before a major overhaul? So that's ready? When the entire review will be irrelevant in 4 days? They defied their own logic. Not only that, but it shows that the site itself is painfully uninformed and uneducated about the content they deliver.

Finally, I am not upset about the score they gave. I am upset that the content of this review is pretty much invalid in four days. It will also leave the entire MMORPG community uninformed about the game. It will drive away potential new business for SE. People in a week will look at this and think that this is relevant game information and will not buy it. They even refer to confirmed changes coming to the game as "rumors."

I'm sorry, but anyone in the "they gave them plenty of time" camp is either playing devil's advocate, or just ignorant. The review should have happened in a timely manner; they missed their window. They also should have been informed enough on the state of the game to understand the vital importance of timing. Even if they had the review done months ago, they should have shelved it. They have published irrelevant information about the game, kicked the company while it was down, and dropped the ball on journalistic integrity.

I ask, where is the article on the upcoming patch? Where is the update on the state of the game? This is their "latest game information?" This should have been an article informing consumers that the patch was coming, what it entailed, and potential positive/negative effects on the game. Then, there should have been a review done on the patch. You know, all of the things that a good journalist would do.

It makes absolutely no sense in terms of timing, the content of the review is irrelevant, it illustrates the arrogance and ignorance of MMORPG, and it further mis-informs the public. I'm sorry, there is no justification or defense for that type of idiocy.
#35 Jul 19 2011 at 11:29 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
852 posts
lthompson wrote:
Sure the review is accurate for the state of the game currently. The timing of the post illustrates both arrogance and ignorance on the part of MMORPG. Here's my problem.

They did not review the game in a timely manner because they stated "it's not ready to be reviewed." By this logic, that would mean that there would be a time they perceive as "ready."

First off - who the **** do they think they are making a determination of whether or not something is "ready?" Journalistic integrity would indicate that when a game is out, they have a responsibility to write a review to inform their consumers in a timely manner. Ie, when it's on shelves, it's ready. They are not the all-seeing, all knowing judge of when they deliver information on a major title. This review should have been done in a timely manner, when the game was released. The entire fact that they "waited until it was ready" speaks volumes about the arrogance and lack of integrity on the part of MMORPG.COM - imagine if real journalists simply didn't publish stories and articles because they felt we weren't "ready" to hear them.

Second - Going by their logic, that there would be time that the game was officially "ready" by their standards, that time happens to be 4 days before a major overhaul? So that's ready? When the entire review will be irrelevant in 4 days? They defied their own logic. Not only that, but it shows that the site itself is painfully uninformed and uneducated about the content they deliver.

Finally, I am not upset about the score they gave. I am upset that the content of this review is pretty much invalid in four days. It will also leave the entire MMORPG community uninformed about the game. It will drive away potential new business for SE. People in a week will look at this and think that this is relevant game information and will not buy it. They even refer to confirmed changes coming to the game as "rumors."

I'm sorry, but anyone in the "they gave them plenty of time" camp is either playing devil's advocate, or just ignorant. The review should have happened in a timely manner; they missed their window. They also should have been informed enough on the state of the game to understand the vital importance of timing. Even if they had the review done months ago, they should have shelved it. They have published irrelevant information about the game, kicked the company while it was down, and dropped the ball on journalistic integrity.

I ask, where is the article on the upcoming patch? Where is the update on the state of the game? This is their "latest game information?" This should have been an article informing consumers that the patch was coming, what it entailed, and potential positive/negative effects on the game. Then, there should have been a review done on the patch. You know, all of the things that a good journalist would do.

It makes absolutely no sense in terms of timing, the content of the review is irrelevant, it illustrates the arrogance and ignorance of MMORPG, and it further mis-informs the public. I'm sorry, there is no justification or defense for that type of idiocy.


Man, the kool aid is strong with this one. On what planet do you actually live?
____________________________
#36 Jul 19 2011 at 11:36 AM Rating: Default
18 posts
FilthMcNasty wrote:
Jefro420 wrote:
I don't buy the argument that they gave it enough time before a re-review. If they could wait 10 months, they could have waited another 4 days.

This review is a just an example of **** poor journalism. Maybe the reviewer can go apply for a job at Fox news, he certainly fits the build.


You can't fault their writing when you fail to comprehend the reading. This is not a re-review, it's the initial review... 10 months later. If you had bothered to read the first paragraph you'd see that mmorpg.com is going to revise their review to reflect future patches; a luxury not afforded to other games unless there is an expansion.

This review gives a prospective player all of the information they would want to know about the game prior to making a purchase. It is honest and more than forgiving of the problems SE has had since launch. They describe what problems the game currently has and they give credit where it is due. All of the necessary information is present and representative of the current state of the game. For those of you ******** about their journalism I would ask, what exactly do you expect?


I don't really think you understand what is entailed in quality journalism. I don't think you get the fact that they have just mis-informed the entire public on the state of the game. I don't think you understand how arrogant it is for a journalist to "decide when a game is ready" for an review article. I'm not sure you get how ignorant it is to drop the ball so harshly on timing.

Yeah, the review itself is fine - 8 months ago. What we needed now was an "upcoming changes to FFXIV" article, not a lazy attempt at doing a review that should have been done when the game came out to begin with. Do you understand the gravity of this timing? That people one week from now will read an irrelevant article, and make a decision as to whether or not to play this game? The entire article will be invalid in 4 days, you seriously think that's ok?
#37 Jul 19 2011 at 11:38 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
852 posts
lthompson wrote:
FilthMcNasty wrote:
Jefro420 wrote:
I don't buy the argument that they gave it enough time before a re-review. If they could wait 10 months, they could have waited another 4 days.

This review is a just an example of **** poor journalism. Maybe the reviewer can go apply for a job at Fox news, he certainly fits the build.


You can't fault their writing when you fail to comprehend the reading. This is not a re-review, it's the initial review... 10 months later. If you had bothered to read the first paragraph you'd see that mmorpg.com is going to revise their review to reflect future patches; a luxury not afforded to other games unless there is an expansion.

This review gives a prospective player all of the information they would want to know about the game prior to making a purchase. It is honest and more than forgiving of the problems SE has had since launch. They describe what problems the game currently has and they give credit where it is due. All of the necessary information is present and representative of the current state of the game. For those of you ******** about their journalism I would ask, what exactly do you expect?


I don't really think you understand what is entailed in quality journalism. I don't think you get the fact that they have just mis-informed the entire public on the state of the game. I don't think you understand how arrogant it is for a journalist to "decide when a game is ready" for an review article. I'm not sure you get how ignorant it is to drop the ball so harshly on timing.

Yeah, the review itself is fine - 8 months ago. What we needed now was an "upcoming changes to FFXIV" article, not a lazy attempt at doing a review that should have been done when the game came out to begin with. Do you understand the gravity of this timing? That people one week from now will read an irrelevant article, and make a decision as to whether or not to play this game? The entire article will be invalid in 4 days, you seriously think that's ok?



When the Wall Street Journal publishes a review of FFXIV then you can crow about quality journalism. When do they decide it's ready? WHEN THEY DECIDE THEY WANT TO WRITE ABOUT IT. Every news outfit makes those calls. I'm sorry if you feel the game looks badly in the article... but that's because no one knows how 1.18 will actually be received. So it's all smoke and mirrors until it's deployed.

Besides, it was due in June. It's almost August. It's not a personal attack. It's business.
____________________________
#38 Jul 19 2011 at 11:39 AM Rating: Default
18 posts
hexaemeron wrote:


Man, the kool aid is strong with this one. On what planet do you actually live?




When the Wall Street Journal publishes a review of FFXIV then you can crow about quality journalism. When do they decide it's ready? WHEN THEY DECIDE THEY WANT TO WRITE ABOUT IT. Every news outfit makes those calls. I'm sorry if you feel the game looks badly in the article... but that's because no one knows how 1.18 will actually be received. So it's all smoke and mirrors until it's deployed.

Besides, it was due in June. It's almost August. It's not a personal attack. It's business.


You are both hilarious and charming. Way to come to a thread to simply start arguments and play devil's advocate.

And you missed the entire point. I don't care about the score. I care about the relevance of the information being portrayed to the public.

And no, that's not how journalism works. If the "Wall Street Journal" published numbers "when they felt like it," they would be out of business, dude. News organizations live up to what's called "journalistic integrity." It means they do not make those calls. They deliver news when it is relevant and appropriate, not "when they feel like it."

Anyway, you are obviously just here to argue, so have fun. I've said my piece.

Edited, Jul 19th 2011 1:42pm by lthompson
#39 Jul 19 2011 at 11:47 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
*
194 posts
Quote:
Yeah, reviewing it again right before a major game-changing patch seems kind of asinine.


Didn't you post this same thing right before patch 1.15, 1.16, and 1.17? It's funny how the next patch is always the "major game-changing" patch. You see, it's a jump to conclusions mat; it has conclusions on it that you can jump to.

Quote:
Sure the review is accurate for the state of the game currently


Spot on accurate. Isn't that what a review is supposed to be? A review of the current state of something based upon recent experience? I mean, you can't really review content that hasn't been released yet, I think those are called "previews". I saw a preview for a movie yesterday, I can't tell you how that movie is going to end...

You went on some stupid rant about journalistic integrity that was too long to read. Only a journalistic ***** would hype up the future of FFXIV based upon SE's empty and undelivered promises. Call for this reviewers head next week after the patch is released and turns out to be the game changing mircale we all hope it is. In the meantime, insert your head right back up Yoshi P's.....
#40 Jul 19 2011 at 1:03 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
2,153 posts
Hmm. All I see is an article that rather well reflects the current state of the game.
Not the state in 4 days - perhaps, because I would be careful to bet money on SE actually
delivering -, but of the game 10 months after launch.

What do you want? Hide in the dark until you believe you are ready for a review?
#41 Jul 19 2011 at 1:35 PM Rating: Excellent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
If it's not fair to review it now that's a pretty big indication that the game sucks right now, which makes the review generous if anything.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#42 Jul 19 2011 at 1:42 PM Rating: Excellent
****
4,144 posts
lthompson wrote:
I don't really think you understand what is entailed in quality journalism.

Disclaimer: A review for a fantasy based video game, a game that has fallen short of mediocre on nearly every front, does not warrant nor deserve 'quality journalism'.

I understand what good writing is. I may not be very well versed in what the devices are, but I can put a few sentences together to prove a point. A point which regardless of how well formed, you seem to be unable to grasp. No one cares about the quality of a video game review. It is accuracy and content that people look for. Is it accurate? If you don't believe it is then please provide some proof. Does it contain the necessary content? It touches on most every aspect of the game that someone looking to purchase it would want to know. Is it Pulitzer Prize worthy? No, but it gets the job done.

Ithompson wrote:
I'm not sure you get how ignorant it is to drop the ball so harshly on timing.

Sweet delicious irony, how I love you so...

The patch you expected this piece to be written for was due weeks ago. This review was delayed far longer than expected, but that was to give SE the benefit of the doubt that changes would be made to warrant a game worthy of a good review. XIV was released what is quickly turning into a year too early. SE has practically written the book(in poor journalistic quality I might add) on dropping the ******* ball. Pull your head out.

Ithompson wrote:
Do you understand the gravity of this timing? That people one week from now will read an irrelevant article, and make a decision as to whether or not to play this game? The entire article will be invalid in 4 days, you seriously think that's ok?

I don't feel there is any gravity to it. No pressure at all on SE at this point as most people who would have been interested have already witnessed the failed launch and subsequent months of band-aid patches needed to make the game barely playable. All of a sudden now there is supposed to be some sense of urgency? SE doesn't even think they're in trouble. They have put their chips on a PS3 launch that we haven't heard anything about since December of 2010. Doubtful that releases without an accompanying expansion which will no doubt get another review.

For consistency, check the reviews for other MMOs on that website. You do not see a new review for games every time there is a content patch. People just don't care enough to review something every other month.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#43 Jul 19 2011 at 1:56 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,636 posts
Quote:
Disclaimer: A review for a fantasy based video game, a game that has fallen short of mediocre on nearly every front, does not warrant nor deserve 'quality journalism'.


Exactly.. Since when did everything written on the internet become 'journalism'.
____________________________


#44 Jul 19 2011 at 7:22 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
*
176 posts
lthompson wrote:
Do you understand the gravity of this timing?

Marty McFly: This is heavy...
Doc Brown: Weight has nothing to do with it!
____________________________

TERA looks tasty...
#45 Jul 19 2011 at 7:23 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
32 posts
Honestly, this is a more measured review than I'd have expected almost one year after the official release of the game. It doesn't scream or attempt to flame. In fact, the tone of the review seems more sad than anything. And the reviewer actually apologizes to fans for the negative review. For all those reasons, the review is _more_ devastating than a simple flame-fest would be. Although all of us who have followed FFXIV know about the game's weaknesses (or "idiosyncracies"), the general public- who either never heard about the game in 2010 or forgot about its abysmal release- will be turned off once again.
#46 Jul 20 2011 at 12:08 AM Rating: Good
**
568 posts
Quote:
Awkward Combat
Clunky Interface
Feels Incomplete
Poor Quests
Uninteresting Plot


Which of these items does the next patch try to deal with?

Combat that's mostly it.
Even if 1.18 fixes (which is still completely hypothetical assumption mind you) I think this is a good review.

All of the other issues mentioned in it will still be in the game for a long, long time. Some like the visual design of the world or the nonsensical plot may never ever get fixed.

I hope 1.18 turns out okay but I don't see that as any reason for journalist or everyone else to assume that almost a year after a release major issues like the UI design would be fixed already.
#47 Jul 20 2011 at 12:33 AM Rating: Good
*
131 posts
It deals with combat, feeling of incomplete content, poor quests, and a large addition to the plot via the companies, dungeons, and beast tribe settlements.

As far as the interface goes, its going to be slightly modified due to the new additions/removal of elements with the base battle system implementation. It most likely wont fix ALL issues, but it does deal with many as well as add things to the game that people may not have been concerned with.

If anything, they'll probably issue a re-review pretty soon after the next two updates...or on the 1 year anniversary.

Edited, Jul 20th 2011 1:34am by Teknoman
____________________________
#48 Jul 20 2011 at 4:55 AM Rating: Decent
The review was fair based on the state of the game as it is before 1.18. My guess is the writers put a stamp of 10 months review after the game got its horrible launch and just stuck to it regardless of any upcoming patches.

Also to all those bashing SE for getting nothing out for 10 months it is my opinion that they actually got a **** of a lot done in that time. The difference is the majority of the patch changes were all done to the crysta engine and internal game code, we as a playerbase didnt see the work as it didnt directly affect the game and SE never mentioned what was wrong because what company would wash its laundry in public after a pretty humiliating game launch.

The future for this game may seem a little brighter after 1.18 is implemented, I think this first patch might not be game changing to some but it is the start of SE changing the game for the better.
#49 Jul 20 2011 at 5:34 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,449 posts
Just trying to douze the flames in this thread....

I've been reading this thread with some amuzement as it seems people just want to create drama out of it. On one hand you have people saying that the review is spot on and reflects the way the game is at the moment, on the other you have people that just don't understand why they release a review days before the game is gonna change so much.

There really isn't that many people that say the information available in the review is wrong, just badly timed so stop feeding each other.
____________________________


My FFXIV Blog



#50 Jul 20 2011 at 8:26 AM Rating: Excellent
***
2,010 posts
It's kind of sad that every time I come back to these forums (and the breaks are getting longer and longer), nothing has changed. Literally, nothing has changed. The same arguments, the same people, the same topics, and the same golden patch theory.

I read the review, and it looked to me like some things were left out. It really wasn't as detailed as it could have been - for example, they say the guild system is lacking, but exactly what is it lacking? I know what is lacking, but readers who never played the game won't know what the reviewer meant, so it will be hard to gauge whether it's a personal beef or actual technical problems. It's a very topical overview of the state of the game - just skimming the surface and it's not really that informative.

However, I do agree that game sites can't just keep delaying their reviews because SE isn't on the ball. It's been long enough, and for some of us who poured money into it from the start expecting a radically different experience (Ps3's, new rigs, collectors editions), it's been too long.

Much too long.

#51 Jul 20 2011 at 8:37 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
351 posts
Torrence wrote:
It's kind of sad that every time I come back to these forums (and the breaks are getting longer and longer), nothing has changed. Literally, nothing has changed. The same arguments, the same people, the same topics, and the same golden patch theory.

I read the review, and it looked to me like some things were left out. It really wasn't as detailed as it could have been - for example, they say the guild system is lacking, but exactly what is it lacking? I know what is lacking, but readers who never played the game won't know what the reviewer meant, so it will be hard to gauge whether it's a personal beef or actual technical problems. It's a very topical overview of the state of the game - just skimming the surface and it's not really that informative.

However, I do agree that game sites can't just keep delaying their reviews because SE isn't on the ball. It's been long enough, and for some of us who poured money into it from the start expecting a radically different experience (Ps3's, new rigs, collectors editions), it's been too long.

Much too long.



In other words, if I get what you're saying, the game deserved another kick in the balls even on the eve of the supposed Golden Patch.

I'm okay with that.

Look at it this way, if these next few patches actually do put some life back into FFXIV, then the progress will seem all the more rapid from here on out when we use this article as a reference. It may, ironically, even help the game's image under its new director.
« Previous 1 2
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 17 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (17)