Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Did 1.18 make the game more appealing to new customers?Follow

#1 Jul 21 2011 at 8:43 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
**
560 posts
Just wondering what you think so far.
____________________________


#2 Jul 21 2011 at 8:47 PM Rating: Good
***
1,566 posts
No one can stay logged in long enough to know, sadly.
#3 Jul 21 2011 at 8:55 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
852 posts
It still feels like the same game to me, unfortunately. Targeting is still ridiculous. No ambient sound control. Same mess of a UI. I think I'll come back for 1.19.

Edited, Jul 21st 2011 11:00pm by hexaemeron
____________________________
#4 Jul 21 2011 at 9:14 PM Rating: Good
**
495 posts
The game seems to just 'feels' different to me (if you can stay in long enough). They seem to have heavily optimized the graphics. On my HD 5650M I am now getting close to 50 FPS on 720p resolution, full shadows and in the middle of a dust storm with 30 people around. It feels butter smooth compared to what it was before.

Combat is going to take a bit to get used to. Auto-attack is really changing the pacing and recast timers are now the limiter, which means you must put 3-4 weaponskills or more on your action bar or you might end up sitting with a lot of tp. Situational abilities are getting more use now as well. They also dramatically changed up the mob distribution; a lot more mobs, and a LOT more aggro mobs. Saw aggro mobs in places that never had aggro mobs before. Basically a lot of little things that add up to a nice package, but its not perfect. Still plenty of things that can use some work, but next to none of the changes feel for the worse just yet.

Edited, Jul 21st 2011 11:15pm by croythegreat
#5 Jul 21 2011 at 10:28 PM Rating: Good
*
128 posts
IMO, nope. Thinking SE just isnt my cup of tea anymore.
/sigh
____________________________

#6 Jul 21 2011 at 10:51 PM Rating: Decent
****
9,526 posts
Not likely, since simply reading the patch notes was enough to bring me one step closer to giving up on it for good.

Final MP micromangementsy? No thanks
Final standing and watching MP bar refilling-tsy? No thanks
Cure-bot mage-sy? No thanks.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#7 Jul 21 2011 at 11:29 PM Rating: Excellent
**
829 posts
Olorinus wrote:
Not likely, since simply reading the patch notes was enough to bring me one step closer to giving up on it for good.

Final MP micromangementsy? No thanks
Final standing and watching MP bar refilling-tsy? No thanks
Cure-bot mage-sy? No thanks.

It worked in FFXI didn't it (WHM)? I had fun micromanaging MP and keeping parties alive. Overcoming the challenges of limited MP by being efficient and collecting hMP gear was a very satisfying experience for me.
____________________________
Tauu Aori
Lalafell
WHM
Sargatanas
#8 Jul 21 2011 at 11:34 PM Rating: Good
***
1,636 posts
I doubt it, SE's still designing their games for 2004.
____________________________


#9 Jul 21 2011 at 11:44 PM Rating: Excellent
1 post
KujaKoF wrote:
I doubt it, SE's still designing their games for 2004.


qft
#10 Jul 21 2011 at 11:49 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
802 posts
It worked for FFXI, because its FFXI and its one of the few games out there during its time.

Its FFXIV now. Times changed, and changed a lot. Trust me on this, FFXIV ain't going to be real appealing to masses nowadays.
____________________________


#11 Jul 21 2011 at 11:49 PM Rating: Good
Sage
***
1,675 posts
I think the game is still shaping up.

Like someone else mentioned the combat is different now but just less boring. And after a year of on and off play the UI (even with it's enhancements) is still clunky.

There is still a lot of graphical lag and still clunky keyboard commands.

Content-wise the game has a lot more than it did at release, but that's not saying much. Still that content seems contrived and in itself clunky and cumbersome.

The market wards (again, since release are better but...) are still horrid to use.

Also the world to me is boring. We've seen the same locales for over a year now and they are just getting old.

Now for someone new I think the game is passable, but it's still a very very niche game. The next couple of patches need to be as strong as this one was if not stronger, then maybe we'll have an average game on our hands.
#12 Jul 22 2011 at 12:24 AM Rating: Good
Just tried out the new combat system briefly, so far I'mn not enjoying it. Mainly cause a mob I used to blow through with ease and in large groups just destroyed me because auto attack is too slow and they 4x the mp cost for cure and sacrifice. The stamina bar was a pain but at least it allowed faster attacking if timed right. there may bve a trick to the new system, will just need to play with it more. The mp cost for casts though? c'mon when your desciple of war with little mp 40s and 50s for tier 1 spells just makes cross skilling useless.


#13 Jul 22 2011 at 12:53 AM Rating: Excellent
I just got done playing around for a bit, and I actually like the MP changes. As a gladiator, I shouldn't be able to spam cures on myself through the course of an entire battle... I should have to be mindful of my MP and not get careless. I know others will have strong opposing feelings about this, but Yoshi-P said earlier that the goal of the dev team is to make battle require more skill. Mission accomplished.

That said, I wish they didn't nerf the MP refresh during passive mode. In between mob groups during guild leves, I actually left the room to watch TV while my MP slowly came back. That's kind of unfortunate.
____________________________
Thayos Redblade
Jormungandr
Hyperion
#14 Jul 22 2011 at 2:45 AM Rating: Good
****
9,526 posts
I would have no problem if the spells cost that much for DoW, but I have had enough of micromanaging MP. Even XI has given up on that with new content, not to mention higher tiers of stacking refresh buffs (cor, rdm, brd) and gear refresh, book refresh, abyssea refresh...

Sorry but making DoM so you need to watch tv between soloing mobs doesn't seem fun at all to me.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#15 Jul 22 2011 at 3:24 AM Rating: Good
I am actually looking forward to this MP tweak. I always thought curing was too easy and your MP pool was never empty... Hurrah for this fix! Now I just need to get home and try how it is actually to play with...
Actually can't wait!
____________________________

#16 Jul 22 2011 at 5:50 AM Rating: Default
28 posts
Iron Chef Olorinus wrote:
I would have no problem if the spells cost that much for DoW, but I have had enough of micromanaging MP. Even XI has given up on that with new content, not to mention higher tiers of stacking refresh buffs (cor, rdm, brd) and gear refresh, book refresh, abyssea refresh...

Sorry but making DoM so you need to watch tv between soloing mobs doesn't seem fun at all to me.


Please stop moaning.
You made a thread to bore everyone to death about it.
Nobody here is listening anymore.
Don't like it, quit.
____________________________


#17 Jul 22 2011 at 6:03 AM Rating: Excellent
****
6,898 posts
NoireFiction wrote:
Iron Chef Olorinus wrote:
I would have no problem if the spells cost that much for DoW, but I have had enough of micromanaging MP. Even XI has given up on that with new content, not to mention higher tiers of stacking refresh buffs (cor, rdm, brd) and gear refresh, book refresh, abyssea refresh...

Sorry but making DoM so you need to watch tv between soloing mobs doesn't seem fun at all to me.


Please stop moaning.
You made a thread to bore everyone to death about it.
Nobody here is listening anymore.
Don't like it, quit.


It's a forum. People will voice their concerns about stuff they don't like. If you can't handle that, perhaps you should just quit reading the forums.

As for the MP changes, as per usual SE, they just made FAR too dramatic a change. I mean, 80ish mp for Cure II is absolutely ridiculous. It's fine that they wanted to up the values a bit and put on cooldowns, but they at least DOUBLED the casting cost of every spell. Oh, not to mention that as far as I can tell, THM can no longer cast an AoE cure. So now they've pigeonholed CON into the only real healer. Honestly, from what I've read thus far I am NOT impressed with the change to auto-attack and the changes to MP.
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#18 Jul 22 2011 at 8:08 AM Rating: Excellent
***
2,010 posts
Well, I understand them not wanting melee to spam cures all day long - they really shouldn't be able to since magic is effectively still a "subjob". But, they always go too far with mages. Always.

It's not fair that a melee can swing a weapon all day long with 0 fatigue and the same damage output for three hours when a mage has to stop and rest every mob. I do somewhat agree with Olo in that mages have been the red-headed step children for far too long.

I guess we will see how they balance it.
#19 Jul 22 2011 at 8:26 AM Rating: Decent
9 posts
TauuOfSiren wrote:
Olorinus wrote:
Not likely, since simply reading the patch notes was enough to bring me one step closer to giving up on it for good.

Final MP micromangementsy? No thanks
Final standing and watching MP bar refilling-tsy? No thanks
Cure-bot mage-sy? No thanks.

It worked in FFXI didn't it (WHM)? I had fun micromanaging MP and keeping parties alive. Overcoming the challenges of limited MP by being efficient and collecting hMP gear was a very satisfying experience for me.



Agree here. Parties need to be balanced. Warriors need to battle, Tanks need to keep hate, debuffers need to debuff, healers need to heal. There needs to be class/job specialization to create a need for a balanced party and SE is moving towards that. Does anyone really think it would be cool to have a party full of GLD's w/ uber healing abilities? Really??
____________________________
Life/FFXI/FFXIV balance, <do you need it?>
#20 Jul 22 2011 at 8:36 AM Rating: Excellent
**
557 posts
I'm a fairly new player (well, I played beta, but I haven't played the official release much, as my signature below indicates).

Until I see real UI changes, I just won't play. It's too clunky, awkward, and slow--and that's coming from a guy whose favorite FPS is America's Army 3. There's actually a lot of new content for casual noobs like me, but I have no desire to mess around with putting skills on my bars (which I don't really understand), to keep having to look up keyboard commands, figuring out shopping, figuring out crafting, etc. when the game interface is so clunky that playing around with any of these options is an exercise in extreme frustration.

I enjoy playing around with game commands, figuring things out myself, but the delay in the opening of every single window and the completely non-intuitive UI makes that just far less appealing than playing the other dozen games I own.

And from what I've heard, the slowness just gets worse when more people play, suggesting that they never actually improved the UI beyond the hardware cursor--it's just that when server pops dropped, so did UI lag. That's unacceptable.
____________________________


#21 Jul 22 2011 at 8:44 AM Rating: Good
My new latest router does not forward ports in the 55000+ range. Rather than buying a new router, I just waited for 12+ hours overnight for the patch to download.

To answer the OP, signing up for an account and getting the game installed is still the same mess it's always been. Not appealing to new players at all.
#22 Jul 22 2011 at 8:47 AM Rating: Good
*
178 posts
new customer? probabaly not.

But the patch has managed to retain at least one existing customer, me.
#23 Jul 22 2011 at 8:49 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
1,098 posts
I pulled Spirit Bind off the shelf for cures (halves mp) and use auto attack for TP build on my Pug. It made playing solo slooow but bearable. SP nerf is bad, shame out of leve mobs give more SP.
____________________________





#24 Jul 22 2011 at 8:58 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
Avatar
*
65 posts
Applied for SW:TOR beta and preordering already. Hopefully won't get burned like with FFXIV.
#25 Jul 22 2011 at 9:15 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*
235 posts
SylpherPendragon wrote:
Just tried out the new combat system briefly, so far I'mn not enjoying it. Mainly cause a mob I used to blow through with ease and in large groups just destroyed me because auto attack is too slow and they 4x the mp cost for cure and sacrifice. The stamina bar was a pain but at least it allowed faster attacking if timed right. there may bve a trick to the new system, will just need to play with it more. The mp cost for casts though? c'mon when your desciple of war with little mp 40s and 50s for tier 1 spells just makes cross skilling useless.




So first people complained it was too easy. Now its too hard. You people are impossible to please.
____________________________


#26 Jul 22 2011 at 9:35 AM Rating: Excellent
****
6,898 posts
Scape13 wrote:
SylpherPendragon wrote:
Just tried out the new combat system briefly, so far I'mn not enjoying it. Mainly cause a mob I used to blow through with ease and in large groups just destroyed me because auto attack is too slow and they 4x the mp cost for cure and sacrifice. The stamina bar was a pain but at least it allowed faster attacking if timed right. there may bve a trick to the new system, will just need to play with it more. The mp cost for casts though? c'mon when your desciple of war with little mp 40s and 50s for tier 1 spells just makes cross skilling useless.




So first people complained it was too easy. Now its too hard. You people are impossible to please.


And you people are impossible to talk to. I like generalizations too! The truth of the matter is, they made DRASTIC changes to the DoW and DoM classes. Some of it is clearly for the better, and some of it we will just need to wait and see if it works out. Certainly people will have knee-jerk reactions to spell costs being 3x+ as much as before and I can't blame them. It seems too steep a price, especially coupled with removing AoE completely from 1 class and making the AoE cures for CON unbelievably costly. Really, I think the system just needs a heck of a lot more fine tuning.
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
#27 Jul 22 2011 at 9:41 AM Rating: Good
****
9,526 posts
Thanks Bartel, I appreciate the balanced viewpoint (and acknowledge that my own viewpoint is not as balanced).

I don't even feel like playing around with this patch at all, but then again, this patch was pretty much everything I feared would happen (when I decided to take a break).

It was just made worse by the fact that none of this was even floated by the playerbase before they did it. Why the secrecy? Why not say "hey we were thinking of making spells costs 3 times as much with reduced potency, that's our entire cure for 'challenge' in the game, what do you think?"

What is especially frustrating, is the official forums. I have to say, when I have an idea or a concern, I post them in the XI official forums. Yes, some people make lame remarks etc, but the mods seem to actually look at them, and lots of people will also, even if they don't agree with me, discuss my ideas or concerns rationally.

The XIV forums are crazy, if you don't post something worshipping yoshi they are a horde of insane trolls, omg.

So, that kind of measured feedback is simply not getting through there. I worry deeply about what that means for this game appealing to people outside of the "everything yoshi does must be perfect" demographic.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#28 Jul 22 2011 at 9:52 AM Rating: Default
*
163 posts
Smiley: rolleyes
#29 Jul 22 2011 at 9:52 AM Rating: Default
28 posts
Iron Chef Olorinus wrote:

The XIV forums are crazy, if you don't post something worshipping yoshi they are a horde of insane trolls, omg.

So, that kind of measured feedback is simply not getting through there. I worry deeply about what that means for this game appealing to people outside of the "everything yoshi does must be perfect" demographic.


If you honestly have this many problems with the new patch why don't you take your complaints over to a forum where you may be heard (official forums).

I'm well aware forums are a place for opinions, but it gets a little tedious when I open every thread concerning 1.18 and see you ******** about the same nerfs to whatever audience you can find. You made your own thread so I don't see why I need to read the same messages everywhere I turn.
____________________________


#30 Jul 22 2011 at 10:00 AM Rating: Decent
Sage
*
106 posts
Scape13 wrote:
So first people complained it was too easy. Now its too hard. You people are impossible to please.

/welcome to the internet :)
____________________________
FFXIV: Nimoy Riese / Hyperion
FFXI: Nimoy / Pandemonium
#31 Jul 22 2011 at 10:11 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
351 posts
Iron Chef Olorinus wrote:
Why not say "hey we were thinking of making spells costs 3 times as much with reduced potency, that's our entire cure for 'challenge' in the game, what do you think?"


First, I don't think that's intended to be the entire "cure" to the problem.

To make the game seem more challenging, and battles last a little longer than 5 seconds per mob whenever you party up, I can see how scaling back the potency of some abilities can contribute.

Second, did it really make sense that Thaumaturges were the best healers in the game? And why even have MP at all if you can't ever run out of it? A THM just spamming their best cure spells, without a care, as fast as their recast timer will let them doesn't seem like much of a challenge if you ask me.

1... 1... oh i think i'll press 2 now!... 1... 1...

It's about as exciting as... well... waiting for your MP to recharge -_-

Clearly this is only the first step in solving the issue, but pacing MP use is a reasonable start (it gives MP a reason to exist at least). Maybe cheap ethers, class abilities, or special equipment (something worth fighting for) will come along to help.
#32 Jul 22 2011 at 10:12 AM Rating: Good
*
75 posts
Iron Chef Olorinus wrote:
The XIV forums are crazy, if you don't post something worshipping yoshi they are a horde of insane trolls, omg.

So, that kind of measured feedback is simply not getting through there. I worry deeply about what that means for this game appealing to people outside of the "everything yoshi does must be perfect" demographic.


This is a direct consequence of the branding and ad campaign launched by SE to promote Yoshida, and by all accounts, it's been remarkably successful. In fact, if you refer to Yoshida as Yoshi-P you've been caught hook, line, and sinker. Congrats to SE for their successful marketing tactic.

The game is slowly approaching where it should have been at release. If rational criticism can continue to penetrate the iron wall of irrationality from the white knights we may yet have a game by Q4 2012 or Q1-Q2 2013. It remains to be seen if the white knights will continue to destroy any chance of success for FFXIV, as they shamelessly did during beta and the first few months after release.
#33 Jul 22 2011 at 10:35 AM Rating: Good
**
284 posts
Probably not to answer the question of the op. However, I am quite pleased with the quests and Grand company stuff. I like the changes to certain areas bgm it seems right now. Didnt like the black shroud music now I do. Same with thanalan sounding more like a desert middle eastern theme that we all heard from the ost. Overall a huge step in the right direction. I only had time to do all of the quests to sign up for each city state Grand company. First glance for me is a resounding Yay!!!!
#34 Jul 22 2011 at 10:54 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
279 posts
tpgsoldier wrote:
Just wondering what you think so far.


I think the game has gone a long way from what it was when it was released, I myself tried it out during beta and a short while when release and did not like it as much, but after all these updates and specially 1.9 that will bring the new mechanics together it looks promising and even a lot of friends who didn't like are coming back in.

They just need to keep with updates as good as this one in the next few months.
____________________________
I Am Alpha And Omega
The Beginning And The End
The First And The Last
--------------------------
DRG/WAR-http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?57308
SMN/WHM- http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?57308
#35 Jul 22 2011 at 10:59 AM Rating: Excellent
*
109 posts
perhaps the MP issues will be somewhat allayed (no idea if I used that correctly) when it is made possible to cast while in passive mode, if such is the case then perhaps this particular change was poorly timed and should have rolled out with the passive cast

that being said, I would prefer them go to an FFXI model of 8-24-48-96-128, if the level cap is intended to increase, I think setting what will eventually be a mid-level cure to 108 is rather steep
____________________________

Kashius wrote:
Things WoW did not invent:
...
- Fun
#36 Jul 22 2011 at 11:05 AM Rating: Good
****
6,898 posts
Quote:
It remains to be seen if the white knights will continue to destroy any chance of success for FFXIV, as they shamelessly did during beta and the first few months after release.


Yeah, clearly it's the white knights that destroyed the game, not the fact that SE spent 5 years developing that mountain of crap that they released. I also seem to recall during beta the MASSIVE outpour from testers telling SE all of the flaws in the game and how they could fix them. The problem was, SE still had the mentality that they could do no wrong and people would just suck it up and play regardless, which clearly wasn't the case. The white knights have had very little effect on this game, other than giving the rest of us someone to scapegoat and place flaming bags of poo on their proverbial doorsteps.
____________________________
Bartel Hayward--- Ultros Server
The Kraken Club <ZAM>
50 WAR • 50 MNK • 50 MIN • 50 GSM • 50 ARM • 50 LTW • 50 CUL • 50 WVR
thekrakenclub.shivtr.com
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 16 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (16)