Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Changing Grand CompaniesFollow

#1 Aug 03 2011 at 3:34 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
So I've noticed that even though I'm enlisted with the Limsa Grand Company, I can start the quests for the other companies, and have them both in my journal.

Has anyone tried this? There's a few things I've thought of:

1) If I can change allegiance, can I change back to Limsa?
2) If so, this would be semi-exploitable to just rotate through the quests for the sp bonus and currency.
3) Has anyone done this to get their jobs R30 or 50 Ra/ex weapon and switch back?

Basically, I want the Uldah Bow but want to be able to change back to Limsa because I like that town better. Anyone know If that's possible or would I be trapped forever an Ul'dah cur?
____________________________


#2 Aug 03 2011 at 3:45 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,962 posts
You can join all 3 companies as a provisional recruit. Currently you can't join any company in earnest, so essentially, it's possible to currently join all 3 companies, you are not locked out of another.

In a future patch (hopefully 1.19) the Grand Companies will open their doors "officially" welcoming full-time members. At this point you will have to make a choice which to ally yourself with.

In FFXI, the various allied forces that appeared during the Crystal War in Wings of the Goddess functioned similarly (minus the provisional part) and you could only join one. However, you could switch factions by completing a quest, at the cost of your points.

This is most likely what will be the case with the Grand Companies, switching factions will be possible, so that those who have finished the story with one can continue it with another. You'll have to sacrifice saved up points though, or spend them. There's also the possibility of a fee for switching like FFXI's nation allegiances, where the fee is lower depending how far you've progressed.

I'm mainly worried about the implications of gear skews for myself and my girlfriend. We play together, always do, and it would be frustrating to have to pick different nations over gear, seeing as we'd be unable to complete the quests together then. I hope that the companies offer more balanced rewards for all classes when they open fully.

Edited, Aug 3rd 2011 2:48pm by RamseySylph
#3 Aug 03 2011 at 3:45 PM Rating: Decent
***
3,825 posts
right now you aren't allied with anyone so you can do all 3, it may or may not change in the future so do em all.

I'm guessing (honestly hoping) that in the future there will be paths only persuable by folks who dedicate themselves to a given branch. That's one of very few ways to get people active in all 3 nations.
____________________________
FFXI:Sylph - Perrin 75 Hume THF; Retired (At least from my use any way)
EVE Online:ScraperX; Retired
WAR:IronClaw- Peryn SW;SkullThrone- Grymloc BO; Retired


#4 Aug 03 2011 at 3:50 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,962 posts
If you read the text when you join the ranks of any nation as a provisional recruit, they spend quite a bit of time telling you that you can still join other nations companies, but that in the near future you'll be forced to choose, at which point they try to sell you on the idea that their company is best.
#5 Aug 03 2011 at 4:05 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
Thanks for the info, that's very good to know. I try to make it a point to read all the quest text but I couldn't tell from the Limsa Dialogue that I could work for the other nations as provisional.
____________________________


#6 Aug 04 2011 at 12:23 AM Rating: Decent
**
589 posts
I joined Ul'dah as I am from there, what is slightly worrying for me is that it looks like the Equipment you can buy through your Grand Company (when it's rolled out) seems specific to the city the class guild is in. I hate Gridania with the fire of one thousand suns but two of my main classes are based out of there, I don't want to have to join the tree huggers just to get a good lance or bow. However, I know from previously playing FFXI that SE is like that so I fear it may actually be the case.
____________________________
Solomon Grundy | Born on a Monday | Excalibur Server | Abyss: Welcome to a Higher Quality of Nerding™
#7 Aug 04 2011 at 4:47 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,426 posts
immortal flames in uldah sells bow but not knuckles. so, not sure what you mean.
____________________________
monk
dragoon

#8 Aug 04 2011 at 5:10 AM Rating: Good
**
589 posts
Llester wrote:
immortal flames in uldah sells bow but not knuckles. so, not sure what you mean.


Lance is in Grid though, and (I think) the Ul'dah bow is R30?
____________________________
Solomon Grundy | Born on a Monday | Excalibur Server | Abyss: Welcome to a Higher Quality of Nerding™
#9 Aug 04 2011 at 5:37 AM Rating: Decent
6 posts
polearms of all ranks are from the limsa company, bows of all ranks are from the uldah company
#10 Aug 04 2011 at 9:58 AM Rating: Excellent
***
3,530 posts
SolomonGrundy wrote:
I hate Gridania with the fire of one thousand suns but two of my main classes are based out of there, I don't want to have to join the tree huggers just to get a good lance or bow. However, I know from previously playing FFXI that SE is like that so I fear it may actually be the case.


Different rewards for different choices. I'd rather have that than every company simply be cosmetic.
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#11 Aug 04 2011 at 11:21 AM Rating: Decent
***
3,962 posts
KaneKitty wrote:
SolomonGrundy wrote:
I hate Gridania with the fire of one thousand suns but two of my main classes are based out of there, I don't want to have to join the tree huggers just to get a good lance or bow. However, I know from previously playing FFXI that SE is like that so I fear it may actually be the case.


Different rewards for different choices. I'd rather have that than every company simply be cosmetic.


I agree that the rewards should not simply be reskins with different names, but making sure to offer rewards for all classes should be a priority. The choice of which company to join should be a choice based on players preference for the story, as well as what companies their friends have joined, so they can quest together.
#12 Aug 04 2011 at 11:26 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
RamseySylph wrote:
KaneKitty wrote:
SolomonGrundy wrote:
I hate Gridania with the fire of one thousand suns but two of my main classes are based out of there, I don't want to have to join the tree huggers just to get a good lance or bow. However, I know from previously playing FFXI that SE is like that so I fear it may actually be the case.


Different rewards for different choices. I'd rather have that than every company simply be cosmetic.


I agree that the rewards should not simply be reskins with different names, but making sure to offer rewards for all classes should be a priority. The choice of which company to join should be a choice based on players preference for the story, as well as what companies their friends have joined, so they can quest together.


I disagree.

1) everyone would just choose Uldah since that's where EVERYONE is now.

2) If they follow their own pattern, you will be able to buy items from other nations at a markup, so you wouldn't be locked out of items.

3) I would still choose based on story and not which town had an item I wanted, but that's just me.
____________________________


#13 Aug 04 2011 at 1:50 PM Rating: Decent
***
3,962 posts
Louiscool wrote:
RamseySylph wrote:
KaneKitty wrote:
SolomonGrundy wrote:
I hate Gridania with the fire of one thousand suns but two of my main classes are based out of there, I don't want to have to join the tree huggers just to get a good lance or bow. However, I know from previously playing FFXI that SE is like that so I fear it may actually be the case.


Different rewards for different choices. I'd rather have that than every company simply be cosmetic.


I agree that the rewards should not simply be reskins with different names, but making sure to offer rewards for all classes should be a priority. The choice of which company to join should be a choice based on players preference for the story, as well as what companies their friends have joined, so they can quest together.


I disagree.

1) everyone would just choose Uldah since that's where EVERYONE is now.

2) If they follow their own pattern, you will be able to buy items from other nations at a markup, so you wouldn't be locked out of items.

3) I would still choose based on story and not which town had an item I wanted, but that's just me.


The NPCs felt the need to make it extremely clear that their currency would not be redeemable at other grand companies. That however, is in fact, a perfectly good solution to the problem.

They could solve the Ul'dah problem by launching the grand companies grand opening simultaneously with Ishgard. That being said, it's also possible chocobos and airships may solve the distribution problem altogether.

You might, but that's not everyone. I'm not saying the rewards need to be exact parallels, but why is it you are so against each class being represented to some degree in each company? Maybe conjurers can find staves and wands at the Twin Adders, robes at the Immortal Flames and accessories at the Maelstrom, for instance.
#14 Aug 04 2011 at 2:18 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
RamseySylph wrote:

The NPCs felt the need to make it extremely clear that their currency would not be redeemable at other grand companies. That however, is in fact, a perfectly good solution to the problem.

They could solve the Ul'dah problem by launching the grand companies grand opening simultaneously with Ishgard. That being said, it's also possible chocobos and airships may solve the distribution problem altogether.

You might, but that's not everyone. I'm not saying the rewards need to be exact parallels, but why is it you are so against each class being represented to some degree in each company? Maybe conjurers can find staves and wands at the Twin Adders, robes at the Immortal Flames and accessories at the Maelstrom, for instance.


The NPCs did make that clear, but I assumed that was just for now, since you can join all three companies.

In the future I could see a potential problem if they make the missions ACTUALLY challenging to where you would need a group, but all the Conjurers are in one company for the conjurer rewards and you just have all Ul'Dahians without mages for their grouping needs.

I'm not entirely against it, I just feel there needs to be a reason to join one group or another, aside from convenience.


Really, if they just add a universal market ward, this would all be solved because the only real reason people flock to Uldah is.. well where else you gonna go to buy and sell? It's this games Jeuno.
____________________________


#15 Aug 04 2011 at 2:32 PM Rating: Decent
***
3,962 posts
Which is why I mentioned Ishgard. If they open Ishgard and all airships run through it, problem solved.

Ul'Dah has the Thaumaturges guild and the Weavers guild, so offering robes there, and wands and staves in Gridannia for instance makes sense. I understand the desire to have unique gear at each nation, it would still be unique.

I'm just against having one nation have all the conjurer weapons/robes/accessories etc. while another has all the gladiator gear etc. I'm fine with one nation having more gear focused on some classes. But at least providing some things for other classes to spend their points on would be nice. (Aside from consumables.)
#16 Aug 04 2011 at 7:10 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,530 posts
RamseySylph wrote:
Ul'Dah has the Thaumaturges guild and the Weavers guild, so offering robes there, and wands and staves in Gridannia for instance makes sense. I understand the desire to have unique gear at each nation, it would still be unique.

I'm just against having one nation have all the conjurer weapons/robes/accessories etc. while another has all the gladiator gear etc. I'm fine with one nation having more gear focused on some classes. But at least providing some things for other classes to spend their points on would be nice. (Aside from consumables.)


Of course then you have opposite problem: "I play Conjurer but now I have to somehow find a way to dip into each nation's respective company or miss out on all accessories and armour!"

No matter which way SE designs it (unless they made them no different at all), one company will be a the "better choice" for a particular class. A bit more diversity would probably be fine, however, and give certain people a small motivation to try other companies occasionally. That said, I can see SE's effort to distribute the population across Eorzea at the forefront, and preventing all but a couple areas from becoming deserted is most important.
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#17 Aug 04 2011 at 8:58 PM Rating: Decent
***
3,962 posts
KaneKitty wrote:
RamseySylph wrote:
Ul'Dah has the Thaumaturges guild and the Weavers guild, so offering robes there, and wands and staves in Gridannia for instance makes sense. I understand the desire to have unique gear at each nation, it would still be unique.

I'm just against having one nation have all the conjurer weapons/robes/accessories etc. while another has all the gladiator gear etc. I'm fine with one nation having more gear focused on some classes. But at least providing some things for other classes to spend their points on would be nice. (Aside from consumables.)


Of course then you have opposite problem: "I play Conjurer but now I have to somehow find a way to dip into each nation's respective company or miss out on all accessories and armour!"

No matter which way SE designs it (unless they made them no different at all), one company will be a the "better choice" for a particular class. A bit more diversity would probably be fine, however, and give certain people a small motivation to try other companies occasionally. That said, I can see SE's effort to distribute the population across Eorzea at the forefront, and preventing all but a couple areas from becoming deserted is most important.



"There's some cool stuff I want over there also..." is to me less of a problem than "There's absolutely nothing I want here." But I suppose that's a matter of opinion. I agree with incentivizing spending time in all the game's areas though. But I don't think that's up to the grand companies in that you should be strong-arming gear oriented players into picking based on the rewards entirely.

I don't think Eorzea has any danger of becoming a ghost town the way many MMOs do, just due to the nature of the beast that is FFXIV, the enemy distribution, multi-classing etc. One city being more populous is always going to be the case, but it shouldn't be one of the starter cities as it is now, and I doubt it will be unless they really botch Ishgard.
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 15 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (15)