Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Status of FFXIVFollow

#1 Aug 08 2011 at 6:38 PM Rating: Decent
2 posts
This has probably been asked a lot so I apologize. This relates both to FFXI and FFXIV.

Lately I have been wanting to play an MMO again and after trying Rift and Guild Wars, I decided to come looking again at FF and I just have a couple of questions.

1. Is FFXIV worth starting now and is it still free to play for the time being?

2. Depending on the answer to #1, is FFXI still alive and kicking and worth going back to?

FFXI was one of two MMOs that I really enjoyed playing and have been wanting to start again, but I feel it might be a bit late to start again. If FFXIV has had some great improvements then I will be starting here I guess. Just wanted some people to fill me in!
#2 Aug 08 2011 at 6:42 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
494 posts
still free to play. not really worth starting unless you like endless grinding.
Its not what it was at release sadly. It's pretty dead. But there are still people playing.

ffxi is still kinda going well but there have been problems. Abyysea kinda sucks though. its not really worth returning to.

Edited, Aug 8th 2011 8:43pm by Azurymber
#3 Aug 08 2011 at 6:48 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
523 posts
Azurymber wrote:
still free to play. not really worth starting unless you like endless grinding.
Its not what it was at release sadly. It's pretty dead. But there are still people playing.

ffxi is still kinda going well but there have been problems. Abyysea kinda sucks though. its not really worth returning to.

Edited, Aug 8th 2011 8:43pm by Azurymber


Opinion.



Try it for yourself., the game is cheap.
#4 Aug 08 2011 at 6:53 PM Rating: Default
11 posts
It's only $30... and no monthly fees for now. So why not?
#5 Aug 08 2011 at 6:58 PM Rating: Good
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
DoctorMog wrote:
The game is cheap.
And for good reason.

Azurymber wrote:
Abyysea kinda sucks though.
Abyssea really has been great for FFXI, especially the Heroes zones. They've made lots of great changes lately outside of Abyssea as well. Even Dynamis is tolerable (2 hour max time limit, 50k one-time entry cost, can enter once a day, get exp for all kills, etc.).



Edited, Aug 8th 2011 8:01pm by bsphil
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#6 Aug 08 2011 at 7:04 PM Rating: Default
*
94 posts
DoctorMog wrote:
Azurymber wrote:
still free to play. not really worth starting unless you like endless grinding.
Its not what it was at release sadly. It's pretty dead. But there are still people playing.

ffxi is still kinda going well but there have been problems. Abyysea kinda sucks though. its not really worth returning to.

Edited, Aug 8th 2011 8:43pm by Azurymber


Opinion.

It's not an opinion, it's a state of fact. It's still an endless grind and the population is still dead.

The thing about Abyssea is an opinion though, but I'm guessing that's not what you were aiming your comment at.

EcksTeaSea wrote:
1. Is FFXIV worth starting now and is it still free to play for the time being?

I wouldn't recommend starting FFXIV until patch 1.20 is out. At that point the game should be worth playing. Also, you have to purchase the game, but once you buy it you can play for free (think Guild Wars).
#7 Aug 08 2011 at 7:06 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
523 posts
So defensive!

Relax ladies.
#8 Aug 08 2011 at 7:19 PM Rating: Good
***
3,177 posts
Abyssea was the the thing that broke the camel's back in terms of my FFXI enjoyment. However, the game is still doing well.

FFXIV is in better shape, but I suggest waiting until giving it a go.
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#9 Aug 08 2011 at 8:13 PM Rating: Good
***
3,962 posts
The only thing really, truly crippling FFXIV atm from a new player's perspective, is lack of transportation. Starting now, or soon, wouldn't be a terrible idea, but it may be better to wait for 1.19, which will bring chocobos and airships.

There's plenty to do, and plenty more coming. There are still some things that need tweaking and adjusting, but from the way things have been going, assuming you're not going to level to 50 next week, you should be having quite a bit of fun, and there should be a lot of new stuff coming down the pipes for you (and everyone else) to enjoy.

As other posters have pointed out, its pretty cheap, 25$ on Amazon, so if you're interested, just try it out. If its not to your liking quite yet, try again later?
#10 Aug 08 2011 at 8:32 PM Rating: Good
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
UltKnightGrover wrote:
FFXIV is in better shape, but I suggest waiting until giving it a go.
The nice thing about FFXIV at least is that the game is free to play for the indefinite future. So it doesn't particularly matter if you try it now or wait to try it when the next big version update comes out.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#11 Aug 08 2011 at 8:39 PM Rating: Good
***
1,949 posts
It's 14$ at Future shop here in Canada, and no monthly fee... I know: I just bought a second account ... >_>;
____________________________
FFXIV: Cloe Delisle Scholar, officer of the SWAGGER Free company, Sargatanas server.
#12 Aug 08 2011 at 8:42 PM Rating: Good
****
9,526 posts
XI is awesome... when XIV didn't really live up to my expectations I rerolled and have been having fun. I don't think there is any harm in giving XIV a spin though if you can afford the box price.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#13 Aug 08 2011 at 9:36 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
50 posts
Personally, I think this game still needs a whole lot of work, but in small doses it can be pretty fun now. And even if you only play a little, starting now won't cost you any more than starting later, and you potentially get more play time out of it. But as it is now I would not recommend it to any of my friends unless they happened to be big XI fans (since like 80% of my linkshell is former XI players lol), or wanted to play very casually.

I don't have any experience with XI, but I met a couple of new players from XI this week that were enjoying XIV.

Good luck deciding on the right MMO for you! :)
#14 Aug 08 2011 at 9:59 PM Rating: Excellent
******
48,703 posts
bsphil wrote:
The nice thing about FFXIV at least is that the game is free to play for the indefinite future.
That is starting to sound suspiciously like "He loves me, and proves it by only beating me on the thighs and shoulder so the bruises don't show!"
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#15 Aug 08 2011 at 11:02 PM Rating: Good
2 posts
Thank you all for the responses! Decided I will try out both in the meantime. Since FF XIV is free to play why not? Hope to see some people from here in game!
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 30 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (30)