Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

10min Timeout bug being fixed - 1.19Follow

#1 Aug 10 2011 at 9:41 PM Rating: Excellent
**
929 posts
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/12219-Dev-Team-Request-Please-Fix-Timeout-Issues-for-Logging-Back-In!?p=285116#post285116

Quote:
When you are disconnected you should be able to log back in within a minute. However, due to a bug that was discovered, certain data is being retained on the server that makes it think the character is still logged in, regardless of whether you were disconnected or not. This then causes the phenomenon to occur that stops you from being able to log in for up to 10 minutes.

Sorry for the time it took for us to discover a resolution to this, but this will finally be fixed in patch 1.19.


As a long time sufferer of the 10min bug, I say YAY! and FINALLY!
#2 Aug 10 2011 at 10:11 PM Rating: Excellent
*
230 posts
Yea for real! I have only had that happen a few times but its annoying when your in the middle of something. Good news.
#3 Aug 10 2011 at 11:20 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,530 posts
Woot! As someone who experiences frequent disconnects this'll b-
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#4 Aug 10 2011 at 11:46 PM Rating: Good
Guru
**
691 posts
I'm more curious what is causing the ten minute refresh; from a professional interest. I wonder if they have a periodic flushing of data set up on the server to ensure data correctness. But if that is the case, ten minutes seems either too long or too short. Well I suppose it doesn't surprise me, FFXIV is rife with totally odd-ball design choices from what I have been able to piece together from the little glimpses, hints and insinuations they have made about the inner workings of the game.
#5 Aug 11 2011 at 12:05 AM Rating: Excellent
***
3,530 posts
Hulan wrote:
I'm more curious what is causing the ten minute refresh; from a professional interest. I wonder if they have a periodic flushing of data set up on the server to ensure data correctness. But if that is the case, ten minutes seems either too long or too short. Well I suppose it doesn't surprise me, FFXIV is rife with totally odd-ball design choices from what I have been able to piece together from the little glimpses, hints and insinuations they have made about the inner workings of the game.


All data are sorted manually, on paper, and by Sage Sundi himself, before being transferred either to or from the server.
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#6 Aug 11 2011 at 5:44 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
560 posts
Magnesium02 wrote:
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/12219-Dev-Team-Request-Please-Fix-Timeout-Issues-for-Logging-Back-In!?p=285116#post285116

Quote:
When you are disconnected you should be able to log back in within a minute. However, due to a bug that was discovered, certain data is being retained on the server that makes it think the character is still logged in, regardless of whether you were disconnected or not. This then causes the phenomenon to occur that stops you from being able to log in for up to 10 minutes.

Sorry for the time it took for us to discover a resolution to this, but this will finally be fixed in patch 1.19.


As a long time sufferer of the 10min bug, I say YAY! and FINALLY!



Thank god!
____________________________


#7 Aug 11 2011 at 12:18 PM Rating: Good
Excellent. I was just enjoying myself for the first time in months when this happened. Buzz kill. Glad to see it being addressed.
#8 Aug 11 2011 at 12:32 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
852 posts
SmashingtonWho wrote:
Excellent. I was just enjoying myself for the first time in months when this happened. Buzz kill. Glad to see it being addressed.


I still find targeting really, really broken. It's preventing me from getting to a point where I can decide if I can enjoy the game.
____________________________
#9 Aug 11 2011 at 2:27 PM Rating: Good
hexaemeron wrote:

I still find targeting really, really broken. It's preventing me from getting to a point where I can decide if I can enjoy the game.


When is the last time you played?

I find it's still hard to target specific enemies, because Left/Right does not default to the nearest mob. Although if you center (slightly off-center) the mob on the screen it helps greatly. Is there a controller based button for /targetnpc yet?

And targeting specific party members is far better now. Up/Down highlights the names on the party member list which. The first tap (up or down) highlights yourself, and the second tap goes into the party members list from the top or bottom, depending on which direction you press.

This is all for Trageting Mode A, the default. But there are other options which can now be accessed from the Main Menu, with it's own dedicated targeting menu window, rather than text commends. An in-game description of each mode would be useful.

I wonder if a Mob List would help, that pops up all mobs in the area when you engage, with Right/Left cycling through the list, and highlighted names?
#10 Aug 11 2011 at 3:01 PM Rating: Excellent
Guru
**
691 posts
SmashingtonWho wrote:
hexaemeron wrote:

I still find targeting really, really broken. It's preventing me from getting to a point where I can decide if I can enjoy the game.


When is the last time you played?

I find it's still hard to target specific enemies, because Left/Right does not default to the nearest mob. Although if you center (slightly off-center) the mob on the screen it helps greatly. Is there a controller based button for /targetnpc yet?

I find that for this, the best thing is to map Closest NPC to F8 (al la FFXI) and then Last NPC To Attack You (or some such) as F9. Between those two, I almost never have any issue with targeting any more. When I do, it's always in very specific situations, like when I'm trying to target a mage enemy in the middle of a mob of melee enemies, but that was pretty hard to do in FFXI too, so I don't expect too much of a miracle there.

Edited, Aug 11th 2011 5:02pm by Hulan
#11 Aug 11 2011 at 3:19 PM Rating: Good
Thanks for the advice Hulan. I can see how having Target-last-NPC-to-attack-you is also very useful.

Still need the same thing for controller though. I'm starting to think again that the PS3 release will actually happen. Best to provide a /targetnpc controller button of some kind before then. Even a combo like Auto-Run + UP or Down would be an improvement.

There is a controller available with additional mapable buttons, but the solution really needs to work with standard PS3 buttons.
#12 Aug 11 2011 at 3:22 PM Rating: Decent
***
3,825 posts
I want to be cool and complain about how useless this is, and that the Devs hsould focus on more imprtant things... but this IS an important fix for me; even if it's not encourtered frequ
ently.

Actually, I'm excited that they fixed this. It means they MAY be focused on the game as a WHOLE.
____________________________
FFXI:Sylph - Perrin 75 Hume THF; Retired (At least from my use any way)
EVE Online:ScraperX; Retired
WAR:IronClaw- Peryn SW;SkullThrone- Grymloc BO; Retired


#13 Aug 11 2011 at 4:32 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
513 posts
SmashingtonWho wrote:
There is a controller available with additional mapable buttons, but the solution really needs to work with standard PS3 buttons.

Or PS3 players could just suck it up and buy keyboards for $20 or whatever and stop handicapping us all.
____________________________
#14 Aug 11 2011 at 5:58 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
21 posts
Omena wrote:

Or PS3 players could just suck it up and buy keyboards for $20 or whatever and stop handicapping us all.

or people that make comments like that should learn that everyone is different and not everyone likes to play with a keyboard.

i haven't had much issue targeting things using my rumble pad 2 ( ps2/3 style controler) but i would say that they should let u make a button for using items (food/potion) instead of either emotes menu or status. or.. they can make it so you can just go into your actual inventory and hit use while keeping the button on the keybord they have now to bring usables up which would be a 'win/win' for each playing type

Edited, Aug 11th 2011 8:00pm by styx971
____________________________



#15 Aug 11 2011 at 6:08 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
513 posts
styx971 wrote:
Omena wrote:

Or PS3 players could just suck it up and buy keyboards for $20 or whatever and stop handicapping us all.

or people that make comments like that should learn that everyone is different and not everyone likes to play with a keyboard.

i haven't had much issue targeting things using my rumble pad 2 ( ps2/3 style controler) but i would say that they should let u make a button for using items (food/potion) instead of either emotes menu or status. or.. they can make it so you can just go into your actual inventory and hit use while keeping the button on the keybord they have now to bring usables up which would be a 'win/win' for each playing type

It's not about liking or not liking. Controllers are an inferior input device for a game with this many different commands. If SE severed all connections to the PS3 we would have unlimited action bar space and we'd be able to not only see the cooldowns on everything simultaneously but we'd also be able to activate them with a single button press. We'd also be able to freely bind everything rather than have to rely on the sub-optimal keyboard setups SE force feeds us.
____________________________
#16 Aug 11 2011 at 6:39 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
Avatar
21 posts
Omena wrote:
styx971 wrote:
Omena wrote:

Or PS3 players could just suck it up and buy keyboards for $20 or whatever and stop handicapping us all.

or people that make comments like that should learn that everyone is different and not everyone likes to play with a keyboard.

i haven't had much issue targeting things using my rumble pad 2 ( ps2/3 style controler) but i would say that they should let u make a button for using items (food/potion) instead of either emotes menu or status. or.. they can make it so you can just go into your actual inventory and hit use while keeping the button on the keybord they have now to bring usables up which would be a 'win/win' for each playing type

It's not about liking or not liking. Controllers are an inferior input device for a game with this many different commands. If SE severed all connections to the PS3 we would have unlimited action bar space and we'd be able to not only see the cooldowns on everything simultaneously but we'd also be able to activate them with a single button press. We'd also be able to freely bind everything rather than have to rely on the sub-optimal keyboard setups SE force feeds us.


1) not sure how the action bar is limited cause of a controler ..yes they hide alt n control but they don't have to just cause a controller it could be shown if they wanted to to be and contrller would just have to hit there trigger button as they do now which is just about the same as holding the button down on keyboard.

2)not sure how we can't see the cooldowns on things already the icons on things like items and death are on top with numbers and your actions on the bar below are shown with the exception of whats been stated in #1

3) to the 'freely bind everything' comment i assume you mean drag and drop into the action bar and such. again no reason why they can't implement that anyway for those playing on pc ( since everyone does currently) even if they play with a controler since everyone has a mouse gain just keep what they have in place already and add to it best of both worlds if you don't wanna use mouse to do that you don't have to if you do you can.

just because ppl play with a controler doesn't mean its inferior nor does it mean it hinders others gameplay

Edited, Aug 11th 2011 9:04pm by styx971
____________________________



#17 Aug 11 2011 at 7:59 PM Rating: Decent
***
3,962 posts
Omena wrote:
styx971 wrote:
Omena wrote:

Or PS3 players could just suck it up and buy keyboards for $20 or whatever and stop handicapping us all.

or people that make comments like that should learn that everyone is different and not everyone likes to play with a keyboard.

i haven't had much issue targeting things using my rumble pad 2 ( ps2/3 style controler) but i would say that they should let u make a button for using items (food/potion) instead of either emotes menu or status. or.. they can make it so you can just go into your actual inventory and hit use while keeping the button on the keybord they have now to bring usables up which would be a 'win/win' for each playing type

It's not about liking or not liking. Controllers are an inferior input device for a game with this many different commands. If SE severed all connections to the PS3 we would have unlimited action bar space and we'd be able to not only see the cooldowns on everything simultaneously but we'd also be able to activate them with a single button press. We'd also be able to freely bind everything rather than have to rely on the sub-optimal keyboard setups SE force feeds us.



I enjoy playing the game pad. If you're wanting to play a PC/mouse and keyboard focused MMO, you're simply playing the wrong game.

Constraints often bring out the best in any creative field, a game pad is certainly a constraint, but it is by no means inferior. Sometimes less is more (elegant and enjoyable.)

Edited, Aug 11th 2011 7:00pm by RamseySylph
#18 Aug 12 2011 at 5:23 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
513 posts
styx971 wrote:

1) not sure how the action bar is limited cause of a controler ..yes they hide alt n control but they don't have to just cause a controller it could be shown if they wanted to to be and contrller would just have to hit there trigger button as they do now which is just about the same as holding the button down on keyboard.

Try navigating 50 slots worth of action bars with a controller (common in games like WoW). It's impossible.

Quote:

2)not sure how we can't see the cooldowns on things already the icons on things like items and death are on top with numbers and your actions on the bar below are shown with the exception of whats been stated in #1

You can't see the cooldowns on items or abilities that are on currently hidden rows. This is a problem.

Quote:

3) to the 'freely bind everything' comment i assume you mean drag and drop into the action bar and such. again no reason why they can't implement that anyway for those playing on pc ( since everyone does currently) even if they play with a controler since everyone has a mouse gain just keep what they have in place already and add to it best of both worlds if you don't wanna use mouse to do that you don't have to if you do you can.

No, I mean I should be able to activate any action bar slot with any key I please. Right now they're bound to 1-0 and I can't change them. I can't reach all of those keys without moving my hand, so it's a poor setup.

Quote:

just because ppl play with a controler doesn't mean its inferior nor does it mean it hinders others gameplay

Of course it does. The fact that keyboard users have to suffer from the limitations caused by forced controller compatibility makes the game more difficult to control than is necessary.

styx971 wrote:

I enjoy playing the game pad. If you're wanting to play a PC/mouse and keyboard focused MMO, you're simply playing the wrong game.

Constraints often bring out the best in any creative field, a game pad is certainly a constraint, but it is by no means inferior. Sometimes less is more (elegant and enjoyable.)

I suppose you also think a controller is equal to a mouse/keyboard setup in FPS games despite console shooters having to adopt auto-aim and greatly slowed down combat to make the games even playable.


Edited, Aug 12th 2011 9:26am by Omena
____________________________
#19 Aug 12 2011 at 6:44 AM Rating: Good
*
116 posts
Mayhaps they'll package a mini keyboard with the game for the PS3 release..?
After all, when XI came out (PS2) they sold it together with a HDD!

As a console gamer primarily I'm much more comfortable using a controller, but can't imagine trying to play this game without a keyboard next to me.
I'll admit some of the controller inputs can be cumbersome (ie. emote list) and find it much faster to just type "/thumbs up motion" then scroll through a list.

Basic chat functions also come to mind. Imagine trying to organize a party using the PS3 virtual keyboard? Gah!
____________________________
FFXIV :: Valdai Devarda \ Lindblum Sargatanas "The Thread Closer"
.............................................................................................................
#20 Aug 12 2011 at 7:08 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
21 posts
Validai wrote:
Mayhaps they'll package a mini keyboard with the game for the PS3 release..?
After all, when XI came out (PS2) they sold it together with a HDD!

As a console gamer primarily I'm much more comfortable using a controller, but can't imagine trying to play this game without a keyboard next to me.
I'll admit some of the controller inputs can be cumbersome (ie. emote list) and find it much faster to just type "/thumbs up motion" then scroll through a list.

Basic chat functions also come to mind. Imagine trying to organize a party using the PS3 virtual keyboard? Gah!


i'm more of a console gamer in that form too i played ffxi on 360 and never had any toubles with the controls had a chat pad for it hooked into the controller if/when the ps3 version comes out theres a chat pad add-on for the ps3 already i would just grab that
____________________________



#21 Aug 12 2011 at 8:06 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,878 posts
Shredmastah wrote:
Yea for real! I have only had that happen a few times but its annoying when your in the middle of something. Good news.



I swear it only happened to me when I was doing a group activity!
____________________________
OniElvaan the Eccentric wrote: I hate my cat so ******* much right now, not because she decided to have her kittens at 5am in my bed, that happens. No I hate her because she decided to have her kittens at 5am in my bed on my chest...

#22 Aug 12 2011 at 2:22 PM Rating: Good
***
3,530 posts
Omena wrote:
Or PS3 players could just suck it up and buy keyboards for $20 or whatever and stop handicapping us all.


lol what PS3 players?
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#23 Aug 12 2011 at 5:40 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
513 posts
KaneKitty wrote:

lol what PS3 players?

The ones that may or may not appear some day.
____________________________
#24 Aug 13 2011 at 2:45 AM Rating: Decent
2 posts
Still off topic, but I wish they made something new like the Logitech Netplay Keyboard/PS2 controller I had for FFXI. It was a compact keyboard placed on a large lap controller. Targeting and moving wasn't a problem and all of my F# macros were easily accessable with the keyboard. After the cord finally crapped out I tried a regular controller/keyboard combo but (IMO) it was vastly inferior. I felt the same way a while back when I tried playing FFXI again on computer. While the keyboard only mode was alright, I didn't feel like I had the same ammount of control as I did with my old Logitech.

Heres a link to it, hopefully someone has/will come out with one for PC/PS3...
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-NetPlay-Controller-Keyboard-PlayStation/dp/B0000BVBJR

Edit: After further investigation I have discovered that they make PS2 to USB plug converters. I will most certainly look into this when I build my new computer. I would suggest this to anyone who enjoys controllers but hates to put them down to type/use macros. :D

Edited, Aug 13th 2011 5:06am by DamienScott

Edited, Aug 13th 2011 5:06am by DamienScott
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 18 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (18)