Forum Settings
       
This Forum is Read Only

Why does everyone love the Pirate Hat?Follow

#1 Aug 23 2011 at 1:57 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
Aside from the obvious, it's a mother ****ing pirate hat, why is it so expensive and everyones favorite battle accessory?

It has +3 str +3 dex.

Poachers Hat has +3 Acc

Conquistidor's Elmo has 1 str 3 Vit 4 Att

Is it just because these items are Ra/EX requiring effort and everyone has so much money that they would rather just buy the hat, or are the stats better than the alternatives?


Basically, I can't find a reason to wear the Pirate hat over Poachers Hat on Arc because I'm assuming stats are like FFXI, where Acc and Att > Str and Dex (aside from modifiers to certain actions.

Does anyone have an in-depth analysis of gear choices and stats?

Edited, Aug 23rd 2011 3:57pm by Louiscool
____________________________


#2 Aug 23 2011 at 2:00 PM Rating: Excellent
******
48,703 posts
Louiscool wrote:
it's a mother ****ing pirate hat
Occam's Razor.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#3 Aug 23 2011 at 2:09 PM Rating: Good
43 posts
I'd say because it looks balling for one, also defensive stats maybe, and probably because not everyone needs the accuracy?

Dexterity adds accuracy, I'm sure +Acc > +Dex in terms of accuracy and I don't know the exact ratio of dex:acc but if 3 dex = 1 accuracy, wouldn't you choose the pirate hat?
#4 Aug 23 2011 at 2:18 PM Rating: Good
***
2,120 posts
It's a mix for me when I'm getting stuff for pugilist. Some imaginary equation I run in my head involving stats, defense, my purpose, looks, and cool factor. Not really much of an equation because my mood can easily sway me one way or another. I rather have higher level equipment just for the defense. On top of that, evasion is a key stat I look at. Then also the bonus stats and looks.

Ideally I'd want stuff to meet all those criteria of course, but it doesn't always work out like that. Technically the Vintage Coif could be useful for me with it's 1 more evasion and +HP/MP rather than stats, but I'm not fightin' in that crap for 1 more evade and less defense. = D

Edit-
I agree with you though. I think especially for pure DD classes, take the best bonus stats & not worry as much about defense. I solo a lot and could end up tanking with pugilist, so I want that added defense with the higher rank gear.

Edited, Aug 23rd 2011 4:25pm by TwistedOwl
____________________________

#5 Aug 23 2011 at 2:28 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,599 posts
Yeah, I figured much of this and was just wondering if they knew something I didn't.

We need some mathmaticians from the XI forums to get obsessive with XIV so I can figure out pDif's Fstr's and all that jazz.
____________________________


#6 Aug 23 2011 at 3:09 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
569 posts
It costs so much because it's made from leather obtained from a NM that requires a full party (after mp nerf). It needs high level LW to make. It looks cook, an really there are not that many high level hats for DoW high levels.

For STR and DEX not sure how they scale Att/Acc respectively, though 1 to .75 ratio is plausible.

Edited, Aug 23rd 2011 5:12pm by TwiddleDee
____________________________
99th paper cut, and the grain of salt.
#7 Aug 23 2011 at 3:27 PM Rating: Excellent
It helps them get pARRRRRRties.
#8 Aug 23 2011 at 3:28 PM Rating: Good
*****
16,959 posts
I just play with "/display head off" all the time, so it doesn't really matter how bad a hat looks Smiley: tongue
____________________________
MyAnimeList FFXIV Krystal Spoonless
#9 Aug 23 2011 at 4:08 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,530 posts
Louiscool wrote:
We need some mathmaticians from the XI forums to get obsessive with XIV so I can figure out pDif's Fstr's and all that jazz.


We also need FFXIV to actually have equations for things... or at least stable equations for things.
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#10 Aug 23 2011 at 4:20 PM Rating: Good
***
1,949 posts
Until I make myself a +3 scarf, the hat does a good job of being my pugilist's evasion headgear.
____________________________
FFXIV: Cloe Delisle Scholar, officer of the SWAGGER Free company, Sargatanas server.
#11 Aug 23 2011 at 4:52 PM Rating: Excellent
Guru
***
1,673 posts
It's a pirate hat. B****es love pirate hats.
#12 Aug 23 2011 at 5:08 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,530 posts
Geffe wrote:
B****es love pirate hats.


Says someone whose in-game last name is "Korsair" and whose linkshell contains the word "Loot."

All I'm saying is that maybe b*tches only love pirate hats because they're not, in fact, b*tches at all, but wenches.

In short, wenches love pirate hats.
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#13 Aug 23 2011 at 5:23 PM Rating: Excellent
Guru
***
1,673 posts
KaneKitty wrote:
Geffe wrote:
B****es love pirate hats.


Says someone whose in-game last name is "Korsair" and whose linkshell contains the word "Loot."

All I'm saying is that maybe b*tches only love pirate hats because they're not, in fact, b*tches at all, but wenches.

In short, wenches love pirate hats.


Well played. I tip my pirate hat to you.

Edited, Aug 23rd 2011 7:25pm by Geffe
#14 Aug 23 2011 at 7:40 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
3,226 posts
Disclaimer: I am not a mathematician. I have tested nothing. This post appeals to weapon stats as a basis for assessing equipment. But the short of it is: you can wear whatever you want as long as you have a good weapon for your level.

Louiscool wrote:
I'm assuming stats are like FFXI

They are not. Not yet, anyway.

The only two things that matter in FFXIV right now are level difference between yourself and the target, and the weapon in your hands. However, FFXIV does not have a weapon DMG stat like FFXI (or a meaningful fSTR calculation like FFXI, or meaningful battle calculations in general like FFXI). As you can see, weapons are just big pools of ATK/ACC/MATK/MACC plus other effects. It stands to reason that the higher your ATK/ACC stat is the more damage you will do/the more often you will hit in accordance with the stats of higher level weapons.

At launch, there were few (zero?) pieces of equipment outside of accessories that increased these secondary stats. You could equip some combination of rings and chokers and pull off 12 accuracy and 4 attack at most. But these are small increases next to the growth of weapons through the levels. Compare the growth of Bronze Knuckles to Dodoskin Cesti to Brass Knuckles: in just 10 levels, accuracy grows by 21, and attack by 22. Chokers can't compete. Rings increase accuracy moderately beyond your equipped weapon, so accuracy should be the only choice for rings at any level.

There were no scorpion harnesses, no shura togi, no jujitsu gi, no haubergeon classic--the sorts of things that clue people to the usefulness of ATK/ACC. All proper equipment had +STR and +DEX. As a result, all players could do was stack STR and DEX. And later just STR, since DEX proved itself to be garbage.

Even as we now have an array of gear that improves these secondary stats, I think people are clinging to the old ways. There is also a tendency to snub gear lower than your level, especially in FFXIV's transitional state where level means everything. This does not account for preferences of Alpine War Jacket over Buccaneer, but that's another story.

Let's assume that a player wearing a silver tricorne does so not for fashion reasons or sentiment; let's assume they genuinely believe it's the best item for a DD's head. Does OP's concern hold up? I think so. Consider that most DDs stack STR for damage and VIT for measurable HP gains. DEX is usually 80, to avoid the 3-per-point cost. If we assume VIT is at least 100, we'll give Joe Anydamage here 160 points of STR. That's 14 points away from stat cap. A vintage haubergeon would put Joe 6 points away. With a garnet ring, he has already exceeded the 174 cap. A tricorne would do nothing, and he is better off using poacher's. On the other hand, let's say Joe has a full array of ACC+ rings instead of a garnet ring, but let's add Lone Knight mitts and cavalry sollerets. Joe is now exactly 2 points from STR cap--should he use tricorne now?

Well, no.

Conquistador adds 1 STR and 4 ATK. Joe would be 1 point short of cap with this, but gain an additional 4 ATK. That's like having an extra mythril choker on your head! A similar argument can be made in favor of Solid Scale mail over vintage haubergeon. +7ACC/ATK exceeds anything you can equip in an accessory slot; the growth in attack is comparable to going from an engraved bhuj to a barbarian's bardiche with more ACC overall. It's over two "weapon levels" worth of benefit.

So is there any practical reason for using tricorne/lone knight over poacher/conquistador? I suppose not. But choosing to equip oneself this way is not necessarily bad: you could fight stark naked with an HQ weapon, delicious meat/fish and a STR-heavy stat spread at R50, and still perform (mathematically, to say nothing of the ability bar and player competence) as well as anyone. "Optimizing" a DD is easy when the system is this kerfuffled and stats are watered down.

So yeah. Let them wear hats.

Correction: bhuj to bardiche is more ACC overall, not ATK.

Edited, Aug 23rd 2011 9:42pm by Almalexia
____________________________
w(°o°)w
#15 Aug 23 2011 at 8:10 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,948 posts
Louiscool wrote:
Basically, I can't find a reason to wear the Pirate hat over Poachers Hat on Arc because I'm assuming stats are like FFXI, where Acc and Att > Str and Dex (aside from modifiers to certain actions.


I wear Poachers Hat on ARC and Conquistador's Elmo on LNC, while our tank wear Iron Celata +3. Most of the people who did Dungeon several times also wear Helmet of the Lone Knight except when it comes to DPS like LNC.
____________________________




#16 Aug 23 2011 at 9:01 PM Rating: Excellent
SmashingtonWho wrote:
It helps them get pARRRRRRties.


Oh god. This made me cackle fiendishly way more than it should.
____________________________
Die! Die die die. die die die die, die die. - Scarlet Briar
#17 Aug 23 2011 at 11:51 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,523 posts
I like using the hat for tanking. My highest concern while tanking is burst damage on me and a lot of those skills are elemental based. The magic defense and resistance is a lot higher on Silver Tricorne while the defense is still fairly decent.
____________________________
____(>°°)D_->__(O°°)>-_<(;,,;)>_C-(°°Q)__O~~_t(°°<)_(;o0)___<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_<(;,,;)>_____

#18 Aug 24 2011 at 8:04 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
**
569 posts
@Almalexia

I get your point, and were your coming from however with regards to stats there's still a fair bit in the shadows. Main thing in your post that caught my eye was the assumption that anything over "cap" has no merit. For Vit and Mnd it's true you get nothing hp/mp wise past 175. However the other aspects that are enhanced by those stats still benefit if you invest further in those stats.
____________________________
99th paper cut, and the grain of salt.
This forum is read only
This Forum is Read Only!
Recent Visitors: 16 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (16)